PDA

View Full Version : Gordon Banks

Pretty Boy
12-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Dies aged 81.

It's been seen a thousand times before but THAT save is still worth watching again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNLam4RAbg8

Legend is overused but Banks was a 100% bona fide goalkeeping legend.

RIP.

Hibby soldier
12-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Sad news of the 1966 England goalkeeper Gordon Banks. RIP

Scottie
12-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Sad news indeed. RIP

DarlingtonHibee
12-02-2019, 09:25 AM
Fantastic save. Was my first world Cup that I remember.

Sure I was given esso silver coins with the England player's on from relations down south?

Bill Milne
12-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Particularly sad to hear this, one of the genuinely all-time greats!! I remember seeing him play for Stoke in a friendly at ER, I think they won 1-0.

Curried
12-02-2019, 09:33 AM
Ah mind my primary teacher getting us to pen a get-well card for him after he lost his eye in a car crash. It's good to know he went on to have a full life.
Legendary keeper - RIP.

AltheHibby
12-02-2019, 09:33 AM

Sure I was given esso silver coins with the England player's on from relations down south?

You were. You can get them on ebay now for £1.25 each.

Hibernia&Alba
12-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Still my dad's all time pick as best goalie he's seen. RIP Gordon.

Greenbeard
12-02-2019, 09:40 AM
Dies aged 81.

It's been seen a thousand times before but THAT save is still worth watching again:

RIP.
If you liked anyone in that 66 squad it was him.
Not just "what a save". Also what a pass, what a skip round the defender, what a cross, and what a header. Five sequential moments of absolute brilliance. How many of us as kids tried to emulate that on Leith Links?

IberianHibernian
12-02-2019, 09:47 AM
I remember him playing at ER in a friendly on a very misty night . After his accident . 1 v 0 for Stoke .

surreyhibbie
12-02-2019, 09:53 AM
Dies aged 81.

RIP.

yup, and we will doubtless see it a thousand times again over the next few days!

It was a wonderful save, and he was a great great keeper. Genuinely nice guy as well I believe

RIP Mr Banks.

Treadstone
12-02-2019, 10:37 AM
Amazing to think with the almost total coverage of football on TV that save in my opinion has never been bettered.

Liam89
12-02-2019, 10:41 AM
Amazing to think with the almost total coverage of football on TV that save in my opinion has never been bettered.

Really? Great save but I've seen hundreds better! Maybe I'm missing the nostalgia of the player/time.

CentreLine
12-02-2019, 10:42 AM
Wonderful save. Wonderful keeper and sad to see him passing. RIP a big man in a mans game.
Also delighted Scotland put 3 past him in the nexy game after their World Cup win 😉

houstonhibbee
12-02-2019, 10:44 AM
You were. You can get them on ebay now for £1.25 each.
You could get them at stations in Scotland I seem to recall getting a board and collecting them. Not sure how as I wasn’t buying petrol

NthCarolinaHibs
12-02-2019, 10:46 AM
You could get them at stations in Scotland I seem to recall getting a board and collecting them. Not sure how as I wasn’t buying petrol

Every fiver you spent,you got a WC coin ..

PeeJay
12-02-2019, 10:53 AM
Sorry to hear of his passing - great goalkeeper and ambassador for the game - one of my all-time favourite goalies - if he hadn't been ill in the 1970 QF, England would have made it to the final again ... and it was a wonderful save ...

delbert
12-02-2019, 10:55 AM
Really? Great save but I've seen hundreds better! Maybe I'm missing the nostalgia of the player/time.

There is a memorable still photograph taken from the other end of the ground showing exactly where Banks was when Pele made contact with the ball, the TV angle doesn’t really show just how far he still had to go to get to the ball and the agility to get down to it plus the strength to flip it up and over the bar from almost ground level is fantastic - it may well not be the best ever made but for me, it’s right up there.

The 90+2
12-02-2019, 10:56 AM
Not Gordon Brown then? :wink:

RIP Mr Banks.

houstonhibbee
12-02-2019, 11:00 AM
I think I got them for free. Used to go into the garage on Belford road after school every day

hibee_nation
12-02-2019, 11:02 AM

Correct, had the full set when i lived at Crewe toll we got them from the esso garage on ferry road, had a car collection one too if i mind.

surreyhibbie
12-02-2019, 11:09 AM

a Fiver? really?

that would have bought an awful lot of petrol in 1966...

just checked... about 5/6 a gallon so almost 20 gallons. I remember my Dad buying a gallon at a time!

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2019, 11:10 AM
a Fiver? really?

Pretty sure it was the 1970 squad that the coins were made for.

Bangkok Hibby
12-02-2019, 11:10 AM

Yea me too. No car in my family so how did I have a full board?

surreyhibbie
12-02-2019, 11:13 AM

6/8 by 1970 according to the AA

still a lot of petrol

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Yea me too. No car in my family so how did I have a full board?

Maybe you were at school wi me :greengrin

My Dad used to take a handful of coins every time he got petrol, as he was friendly with the garage owner.

I'd take all my doublers to school, and have a poor-oot/scramble/scatter......

Kato
12-02-2019, 11:17 AM
I remember him playing at ER in a friendly on a very misty night . After his accident . 1 v 0 for Stoke .

Garth Crooks debut for Stoke. Banks made a couple of point blank saves that night which were outstanding, and by that time he only had one yak. Outstanding Goalie, RIP.

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 11:18 AM
I think I got them for free. Used to go into the garage on Belford road after school every day

Wow, that will have been the Eugene Lampard Renault garage...I remember it well.

I got mine from the then relatively new Esso petrol station (and hotel)on Queensferry Road.

Hi Heid Yin
12-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Another footballing hero gone from my childhood and youth.

The summer and world cup of 1970 comes flooding back when I think of Gordon Banks.

At the time I considered him a goalkeeping God.

I'm so glad that I witnessed his genius.

Bless his family at this time.

NthCarolinaHibs
12-02-2019, 11:22 AM
a Fiver? really?

just checked... about 5/6 a gallon so almost 20 gallons. I remember my Dad buying a gallon at a time!

Was every four gallons of petrol,you got a coin..

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 11:24 AM

It was - and I'm guessing from memory here - but included something like...

Cherry
Reaney
Hunter
Box
Chivers
Sprake
Clarke
Greaves
Bell
Todd
Hughes
Astle
Stiles
Moore

...among others. Might have just made some of those names up :dunno:

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2019, 11:25 AM
It was - and I'm guessing from memory here - but included something like...

Cherry
Reaney
Hunter
Box
Chivers
Sprake
Clarke
Greaves
Bell
Todd
Hughes
Astle
Stiles
Moore

...among others. Might have just made some of those names up :dunno:

Sprake wis Welsh :greengrin

Think Todd was too young then....

Box???? :greengrin He played for Uriah Heep....

NAE NOOKIE
12-02-2019, 11:29 AM
I was at the Stoke game at Easter Road and remember thinking at the time 'if this is Banks with one eye he must have been a hell of a keeper' …. I was struck by how far out of his goal he played, he spent a lot of time about a foot outside of the 18 yard box which must have been unusual for keepers at the time.

Anyway RIP Gordon, without doubt a legend.

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 11:29 AM
Sprake wis Welsh :greengrin

Think Todd was too young then....

Box???? :greengrin

Box - Mick someone who played for Leeds? Broke his arm at a Wembley final I think.

Bonetti?

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Box - Mick someone who played for Leeds? Broke his arm at a Wembley final I think.

Bonetti?

Jones.

Mick Box definitely was in Uriah Heep. They narrowly failed to qualify in 74. :greengrin

And Bonetti played in 70. The QF where West Germany came back from 2 down to beat them 3-2.

GloryGlory
12-02-2019, 11:35 AM
Another footballing hero gone from my childhood and youth.

The summer and world cup of 1970 comes flooding back when I think of Gordon Banks.

At the time I considered him a goalkeeping God.

I'm so glad that I witnessed his genius.

Bless his family at this time.

It was a tremedous tournament.

The incomparable Brazil of Pele. Jairzinho, Tostao, Rivelino, Carlos Alberto, the wonderful semi final between the then West Germany and Italy (4-3 to Italy after ET) and the final 4-1 to Brazil with a breathtaking show of flowing, attacking football.

And they learned it all from Hibs, ye ken. :wink:

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 11:37 AM
Jones.

Mick Box definitely was in Uriah Heep. They narrowly failed to qualify in 74. :greengrin

And Bonetti played in 70. The QF where West Germany came back from 2 down to beat them 3-2.

:agree: Lost out on goal difference to Wishbone Ash.

I'll have the double barreled guy too, Storey-something? Brook? Cook?

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 11:38 AM

The incomparable Brazil of Pele. Jairzinho, Tostao, Rivelino, Carlos Alberto, the wonderful semi final between the then West Germany and Italy (4-3 to Italy after ET) and the final 4-1 to Brazil with a breathtaking show of flowing, attacking football.

We don't talk about that final.

CropleyWasGod
12-02-2019, 11:42 AM
:agree: Lost out on goal difference to Wishbone Ash.

I'll have the double barreled guy too, Storey-something? Brook? Cook?

Storey-Moore, Ian, Forest.

On a tangent, I had a conversation about him recently. Prior to the recent spate, he was the only player I could think of who had a double-barrelled name.

houstonhibbee
12-02-2019, 11:50 AM
Wow, that will have been the Eugene Lampard Renault garage...I remember it well.

I got mine from the then relatively new Esso petrol station (and hotel)on Queensferry Road.
I think that’s right. Just before you go into dean village

Hiber-nation
12-02-2019, 11:53 AM
Storey-Moore, Ian, Forest.

On a tangent, I had a conversation about him recently. Prior to the recent spate, he was the only player I could think of who had a double-barrelled name.

Bryan Gunn :wink:

CMurdoch
12-02-2019, 12:22 PM

Being the same age as yourself 1970 was also my first World Cup aged 10.
I can remember so much of it. Looked and sounded like it was being broadcast from the moon. Wonderful.

Being a kid there was no anti English thing to deal with. It was just the magic of football and I loved it. Even supported England! I loved Gordon Banks and Bobby Charlton. Both looked slightly different from the other players, Banks had a slight asian look about him and Charlton was all but bald but with a big strand of hair blowing about when he ran. Both were great players.

I remember being upset, as only a kid can, when Banks had his car crash and then lost an eye. Felt as if something perfect had been carelessly damaged and would never be the same again.

RIP Banks of England
Good Man and Legendary Goalkeeper

One Day Soon
12-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Being the same age as yourself 1970 was also my first World Cup aged 10.
I can remember so much of it. Looked and sounded like it was being broadcast from the moon. Wonderful.

Being a kid there was no anti English thing to deal with. It was just the magic of football and I loved it and supported England! I loved Banks and Bobby Charlton. Both looked slightly different from the other players, Banks had a slight asian look about him and Charlton was all but bald but with a big strand of hair blowing about when he ran. Both were great players.

I remember being upset, as only a kid can, when Banks had his car crash and then lost an eye. Felt as if something perfect had been carelessly damaged and would never be the same again.

Always came across as a nice guy.

RIP The Banks of England

What a great post. Exactly how it all felt to me.

Famous Fiver
12-02-2019, 02:02 PM
I think a very young Garth Crooks played for Stoke in that friendly. Maybe was even his debut.

Quite a big thing to have a world cup winner play at ER even in a pre season match.

Baggie192
12-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Would have posted this on Stoke's Forum but they have locked it. When I lived over towards the potteries I used see Mr Banks at Trentham Gardens. I spoke to him a few times and although he knew I was Baggie he was always a true gent. I had a great chat about Sir Stanley Matthews with him Sadly another Legend gone R.I.P hopefully The Coates will put on a fitting tribute to him next home game

Hi Heid Yin
12-02-2019, 04:55 PM

It all seems a million years away...the baking hot Mexican sun.....the dazzling skill of The Brazilians.....England going 2 up in the quarter finals and then collapsing to a 2-3 defeat to Germany...The wonderful blue-shirted Italians... "That save" by Gordon Banks..

that dreadful "Back Home" England world cup squad song getting to number 1 in the charts!....."In The Summer Time" by Mungo Jerry also hitting number 1.... (sigh) where did the years go?

chinaman
12-02-2019, 06:34 PM

it was

Niagara Lad
12-02-2019, 09:37 PM
Mike McDonald on Gordon Banks.
https://youtu.be/Pn8wf4IEhSs

monktonharp
13-02-2019, 12:28 AM
Dies aged 81.

RIP.that man was a living legend and is more than that now. A perfect gentleman, by the looks of things, and not just by some of the recent comments. he just did have that presence. I know he was at Leicster City, but Stoke City seem to be his main club.

They also had Stanley Mathews (for older fans) and Banks gives them that added touch of reverence. one of the world's best ever goalies up with Lev Yashin and that guy that shipped 5 at ER.

marinello59
13-02-2019, 06:02 AM
It all seems a million years away...the baking hot Mexican sun.....the dazzling skill of The Brazilians.....England going 2 up in the quarter finals and then collapsing to a 2-3 defeat to Germany...The wonderful blue-shirted Italians... "That save" by Gordon Banks..

that dreadful "Back Home" England world cup squad song getting to number 1 in the charts!....."In The Summer Time" by Mungo Jerry also hitting number 1.... (sigh) where did the years go?

‘Back Home’ was bad but the B side, ‘Cinnamon Stick’ has to be the most bizarre choice for a football squad song ever. It was truly dreadful, even Banks couldn’t save it.

Greenbeard
13-02-2019, 08:31 AM
‘Back Home’ was bad but the B side, ‘Cinnamon Stick’ has to be the most bizarre choice for a football squad song ever. It was truly dreadful, even Banks couldn’t save it.
Hmmmm, sounds like a confession to actually owning a copy. Or was it "your mate's copy"?

CMurdoch
13-02-2019, 02:41 PM

I will take greenbeards pressure off you by admitting to having a copy of said turd but can't remember what 'Cinnamon Stick' sounds like having not listened to it for at least 45 years. All i can remember is the record label is blue.

marinello59
13-02-2019, 02:49 PM
Hmmmm, sounds like a confession to actually owning a copy. Or was it "your mate's copy"?

:greengrin We had it in the house, my Dad must have bought it.

I will take greenbeards pressure off you by admitting to having a copy of said turd but can't remember what 'Cinnamon Stick' sounds like having not listened to it for at least 45 years. All i can remember is the record label is blue.

Aye, the label was blue, it was on Decca I think. They turned down the Beatles yet released this. :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
13-02-2019, 10:34 PM

lol. Never owned the vinyl record to play the B side, so will take your word for it.

BILLYHIBS
13-02-2019, 11:02 PM
We don't talk about that final.

That fourth goal must have been a twenty pass move then Pele puts it on a plate for Carlos Alberto

Genius!

https://youtu.be/M5HbmeNKino

https://youtu.be/2G_q2aB5G6o

CMurdoch
13-02-2019, 11:40 PM
:greengrin We had it in the house, my Dad must have bought it.

Aye, the label was blue, it was on Decca I think. They turned down the Beatles yet released this. :greengrin

:greengrin Decca was dark blue. This one is light blue.

.....just looked. It is on the Pye label. The Kinks old label except their singles always had a red label.
Maybe you got the blue label if your record was *****.

Sammy7nil
14-02-2019, 09:42 PM

I might be wrong but I think they subbed Charlton when it was still 2 - 0 to save him for the semi - then the game turned !

BILLYHIBS
14-02-2019, 09:59 PM
I might be wrong but I think they subbed Charlton when it was still 2 - 0 to save him for the semi - then the game turned !

Remember Peter Bonetti was in goals ( did he sign for the Arabs?)when the roof caved in

I also remember Gerd Mullers feet were quite high for the third but hey who cares? :greengrin

ancient hibee
14-02-2019, 10:05 PM
The tournament did wonders for the sale of colour TVs.

CMurdoch
15-02-2019, 12:17 AM
The tournament did wonders for the sale of colour TVs.

My Grandparents had a colour TV and as a 10 year old i took a solo 90 minutes bus journey to their house to watch the opening game of the 1970 World Cup with my Grampa, in colour!!!

England, as the holders were playing Romania with a 1.00am kick off and a 3am finish. As a 10 year old this was uncharted territory. As far as i can remember the game was uneventful, other than a Geoff Hurst goal, but i was hooked and was allowed to stay for a week. I watched every game including the Brazil game containing that iconic Banks save. It all felt magical.

An unstoppable addiction had begun which became entrenched in me the following season when my grandfather took me to Easter Road .......................and Tynecastle.
I loved it and I loved being with him. A lovely generous man who i miss to this day.

Our family black & white TV remained in place until 4 years later when my dad broke under prolonged pressure and rented a colour TV for a 1974 World Cup containing Scotland. That tournament the dye of heroic failure set on the unbeaten Scotland team and was repeated every 4 years thereafter. A similar dye set on Hibs until 2016 when it all changed on that mad day in May.

My long and winding story from 1970 has reached a point marked Heckenbottom
Who could have predicted that :confused:.

HoboHarry
15-02-2019, 02:47 AM
My Grandparents had a colour TV and as a 10 year old i took a solo 90 minutes bus journey to their house to watch the opening game of the 1970 World Cup with my Grampa, in colour!!!

England, as the holders were playing Romania with a 1.00am kick off and a 3am finish. As a 10 year old this was uncharted territory. As far as i can remember the game was uneventful, other than a Geoff Hurst goal, but i was hooked and was allowed to stay for a week. I watched every game including the Brazil game containing that iconic Banks save. It all felt magical.

An unstoppable addiction had begun which became entrenched in me the following season when my grandfather took me to Easter Road .......................and Tynecastle.
I loved it and I loved being with him. A lovely generous man who i miss to this day.

Our family black & white TV remained in place until 4 years later when my dad broke under prolonged pressure and rented a colour TV for a 1974 World Cup containing Scotland. That tournament the dye of heroic failure set on the unbeaten Scotland team and was repeated every 4 years thereafter. A similar dye set on Hibs until 2016 when it all changed on that mad day in May.

My long and winding story from 1970 has reached a point marked Heckenbottom
Who could have predicted that :confused:.

We were the first in our street to get a colour telly and we also got it just in time for the 1974 World Cup. My recollection is that I spent the first couple of games (don't remember who was playing) holding a bloody knitting needle in the air acting as an ariel until my dad got it fixed. It was the first time I'd seen every man in our street in our house at the same time drinking and swearing like troopers too lol.....