PDA

View Full Version : EPL and Championship

Hibbyradge
10-02-2019, 03:12 PM
If you have no interest in, or if you dislike, English football, this thread isn't for you, but both of these leagues are becoming more and more interesting and exciting.

Spurs and Liverpool have the Premiership title in their own hands, while Man City need help

Spurs are 5 points off the top, but have yet to play both Liverpool and City.

Norwich look favourite to win automatic promotion, but they still have to go to Boro.

Leeds have both West Brom and Sheffield United at home.

It's intriguing and I'm looking forward to sampling the Elland Road atmosphere on Wednesday night when they play Swansea.

I can't imagine that I'd ever be able to fully support LUFC but it should be fun to be involved as they desperately try to win the league.

Lago
10-02-2019, 03:43 PM
If you have no interest in, or if you dislike, English football, this thread isn't for you, but both of these leagues are becoming more and more interesting and exciting.

Spurs and Liverpool have the Premiership title in their own hands, while Man City need help

Norwich look favourite to win automatic promotion, but they still have to go to Boro.

It's intriguing and I'm looking forward to sampling the Elland Road atmosphere on Wednesday night when they play Swansea.

I can't imagine that I'd ever be able to fully support LUFC but it should be fun to be involved as they desperately try to win the league.
Love both leagues. Competitive, great stadiums, fantastic playing surfaces in the top league & a lot of the championship. Quality of player outstanding as seen yesterday in Liverpool's play, what more can you ask for ?

Pagan Hibernia
10-02-2019, 03:51 PM

How is it in spurs own hands if they’re 5 points behind the leaders and only get to play Liverpool once more?

lapsedhibee
10-02-2019, 03:56 PM
How is it in spurs own hands if they’re 5 points behind the leaders and only get to play Liverpool once more?
:agree: Only one team can have a championship in its own hands at any one time in the run-in. 'slogic innit.

SteveHFC
10-02-2019, 03:58 PM

Would like to see Liverpoool winning the EPL and Leeds and Sheffield Utd to both come up.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2019, 04:22 PM

Aye, I was looking at the table and I thought they had a game in hand, but that was today.

Only Liverpool have it in their own hands.

Their game at Old Trafford is going to be tasty.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2019, 04:24 PM
:agree: Only one team can have a championship in its own hands at any one time in the run-in. 'slogic innit.

Not necessarily.

If 2 teams are on the same points and have to play each other, they are both in control of their own fate.

Zat right?

lapsedhibee
10-02-2019, 04:36 PM
Not necessarily.

If 2 teams are on the same points and have to play each other, they are both in control of their own fate.

Zat right?

Quite right, and they don't have to be on the same points. :agree:

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2019, 05:36 PM
Spurs aren't winning anything. They play nice stuff and are a good side but they don't have the depth or the balls to win it.

we are hibs
10-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Spurs aren't winning anything. They play nice stuff and are a good side but they don't have the depth or the balls to win it.

Rather bizarre that they don't sort out their depth issues. This is probably the best spurs team I can remember with one of the best managers they've probably ever had and it looks like they aren't even going to win a cup.

MWHIBBIES
10-02-2019, 06:17 PM
Rather bizarre that they don't sort out their depth issues. This is probably the best spurs team I can remember with one of the best managers they've probably ever had and it looks like they aren't even going to win a cup.

They have a good side but I doubt they'll win anything anytime soon. Even Arsenal who are in transition from Wenger to Emery are more likely to win a cup. The stadium thing is a shambles as well.

Leitherhibs
10-02-2019, 06:22 PM

This. City will win it, have said so since day 1 of the season, even when it looked unlikely when they began to slip behind, their depth is frightening. Leaving players as good as Sane, Mahrez, Silva and Jesus on the bench today proves that.

hibsbollah
10-02-2019, 06:25 PM

The interesting thing with Leeds is can they keep it going? Bielsa teams are notorious for ending seasons on a whimper. That pressing game is so demanding on players they just physically wilt towards the Spring. I'd like them to do it and I'd love to see them in the flesh. Jack Clarke will be a miss, I hear he collapsed on the pitch yesterday?

Hibbyradge
10-02-2019, 06:28 PM
The interesting thing with Leeds is can they keep it going? Bielsa teams are notorious for ending seasons on a whimper. That pressing game is so demanding on players they just physically wilt towards the Spring. I'd like them to do it and I'd love to see them in the flesh. Jack Clarke will be a miss, I hear he collapsed on the pitch yesterday?

He did and was taken to hospital.

He's back at home now, but I haven't found out what the illness was.

Hibeesmad
11-02-2019, 01:56 AM

There is a plan in place at Spurs which means in years to come they will be in a comfortable position to win multiple trophies and be one of the best teams in Europe.

Over the last 10 years they have had a great record of signing players on the cheap and going onto sell them for a nice profit. They have just spent around £1 billion on a new stadium which is going to increase revenue to the most they have ever had. This includes NFL paying a massive sum of money which will pay off the cost of the stadium in years to come.

During this period instead of signing players and spending mega money like the other teams in the top 6, they are developing young players coming through the ranks (Winks, Skipp, Walker-Peters, who all played a part in the game yesterday). So that when the time comes they can make even extra profit to cut the losses when they eventually go on to spend the money that the other clubs do in England.

Spurs will go onto improve areas of their team once the stadium is completed and they start to make back the money spent on it. Their aim for now is to finish in the top four and do the best they can in all cup competitions.

Pochettino is a big part of the plan at Spurs and he repeatedly explains a plan to the media. This is why he has not left Spurs, as he knows in the long term he will be a lot more successful staying at the club.

The Modfather
11-02-2019, 09:50 AM
There is a plan in place at Spurs which means in years to come they will be in a comfortable position to win multiple trophies and be one of the best teams in Europe.

Over the last 10 years they have had a great record of signing players on the cheap and going onto sell them for a nice profit. They have just spent around £1 billion on a new stadium which is going to increase revenue to the most they have ever had. This includes NFL paying a massive sum of money which will pay off the cost of the stadium in years to come.

During this period instead of signing players and spending mega money like the other teams in the top 6, they are developing young players coming through the ranks (Winks, Skipp, Walker-Peters, who all played a part in the game yesterday). So that when the time comes they can make even extra profit to cut the losses when they eventually go on to spend the money that the other clubs do in England.

Spurs will go onto improve areas of their team once the stadium is completed and they start to make back the money spent on it. Their aim for now is to finish in the top four and do the best they can in all cup competitions.

Pochettino is a big part of the plan at Spurs and he repeatedly explains a plan to the media. This is why he has not left Spurs, as he knows in the long term he will be a lot more successful staying at the club.

Are they not mirroring Arsenal and their stadium move? Wenger worked wonders keeping them in top 4 selling their best players every year. Once the stadium was finished they were then set for success. As it happened they paid off the stadium and were still left behind.

Spurs are at their peak IMO. Once players like Eriksen, Ali, Alderweireld etc leave as well as Pochetino, the real challenge for them begins in building a new team.

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2019, 10:01 AM

Man City need help? :confused:

I reckon they will win the EPL in a canter

I can only imagine you started this thread before yesterday’s game at the Emirates

City will only get stronger as they have a better style system and strength in depth in squad than Liverpool who imho look vulnerable to suspensions and injuries struggle to break teams down and lack the winning mentality

All about opinions I suppose time will tell :greengrin

Edit:

Just noticed the EPL table and City are actually now joint top with Liverpool with a far superior goal difference

SChibs
11-02-2019, 10:19 AM

I can only imagine you started this thread before yesterday’s game at the Emirates

City will only get stronger as they have a better style system and strength in depth in squad than Liverpool who imho look vulnerable to suspensions and injuries struggle to break teams down and lack the winning mentality

Edit:

Just noticed the EPL table and City are actually now joint top with Liverpool with a far superior goal difference

They have played a game more therefore need help from another team to win it as it is out of their hands?

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2019, 10:33 AM
They have played a game more therefore need help from another team to win it as it is out of their hands?

Still a lot of football to be played many a slip between cup and lip and who’s bottle disnae crash first

Liverpools fans apprehensive before every game City’s fans do not give a jot as they expect to win every game

We will see

I am not a City fan just a neutral

Klopp does not fill me with confidence :confused:

It should be an exciting and interesting run in to the end of the season with a re-emerging Man Utd and many twists and turns still to come

Spurs miss Harry Kane

Man City Just been installed as 8/11 odds on favourites by bet 365 to win EPL

Hibeesmad
11-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Are they not mirroring Arsenal and their stadium move? Wenger worked wonders keeping them in top 4 selling their best players every year. Once the stadium was finished they were then set for success. As it happened they paid off the stadium and were still left behind.

Spurs are at their peak IMO. Once players like Eriksen, Ali, Alderweireld etc leave as well as Pochetino, the real challenge for them begins in building a new team.

The likes of Eriksen, Alli and Toby are outstanding players and when they eventually go I’m sure they will replace them with like for like players because they will be able to afford too after making a nice profit.

Hibeesmad
11-02-2019, 02:50 PM
Annual wage bill of the EPL top four this season:

Man City- £260m
Liverpool- £263m
Spurs- £127m
Man Utd- £296m

Dan Sarf
11-02-2019, 03:56 PM
A quick endorsement of the English Championship from me.

I can't get to Easter Rd very often so have a season ticket at Brentford. The games are fast and fiercely competitive but the ball is kept mostly on the deck and the skills levels are high. I get to watch some arrogant, big-name former Premiership teams when they visit and, quite often, see them get beaten which is deeply rewarding.

The Brentford ground is small, usually packed and the crowd is noisy and good natured (except when playing Fulham). In contrast, I went to see Arsenal play recently and hated every moment I was inside their vast, impersonal, futuristic football drome.

Brentford continually unearth raw new talent, train them up and sell them on for serious profits. A bit like Hibs the fans accept it, it's the only way they can survive. Admittedly, I spend half the games at Griffin Park with my head down, watching the Hibs' score on my phone but, when I do look up, it's thoroughly entertaining.

SRHibs
11-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Wolves squad is actually really good just now. Crazy the money that these small clubs have to play with. Hopefully the new boy for Newcastle has an impact if he comes on.

Is It On....
11-02-2019, 08:49 PM

I can't get to Easter Rd very often so have a season ticket at Brentford. The games are fast and fiercely competitive but the ball is kept mostly on the deck and the skills levels are high. I get to watch some arrogant, big-name former Premiership teams when they visit and, quite often, see them get beaten which is deeply rewarding.

The Brentford ground is small, usually packed and the crowd is noisy and good natured (except when playing Fulham). In contrast, I went to see Arsenal play recently and hated every moment I was inside their vast, impersonal, futuristic football drome.

Brentford continually unearth raw new talent, train them up and sell them on for serious profits. A bit like Hibs the fans accept it, it's the only way they can survive. Admittedly, I spend half the games at Griffin Park with my head down, watching the Hibs' score on my phone but, when I do look up, it's thoroughly entertaining.

I really like Matthew Benham and his counterpart Tony Bloom at Brighton..using stats and proper research to unearth talent..it has to be the way forward 🙂

Hibbyradge
11-02-2019, 09:33 PM

Edit:

They need help in that they need someone to take points off Liverpool.

Liverpool have a game in hand.

Hibbyradge
11-02-2019, 09:36 PM

They don't have an Academy though. :wink:

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2019, 09:37 PM
They need help in that they need someone to take points off Liverpool.

Liverpool have a game in hand.

Still eleven and twelve games to go its only the beginning of February man!

Hibs need help! :greengrin

Lets just see what happens

Hibbyradge
11-02-2019, 09:46 PM
Still eleven and twelve games to go its only the beginning of February man!

Hibs need help! :greengrin

Lets just see what happens

I get that, Billy.

It's in Liverpool's hands, that's all I meant and I just was pointing it out to underline how exciting the run-ins are.

Geez a break man! :greengrin

In any case, I think their game at Old Trafford in a fortnight will have a huge bearing on where the title goes.

United won't particularly want City to win it again, but I think on balance, they'd prefer that to Liverpool becoming champions.

SRHibs
11-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Newcastle...

BILLYHIBS
11-02-2019, 10:03 PM
I get that, Billy.

It's in Liverpool's hands, that's all I meant and I just was pointing it out to underline how exciting the run-ins are.

Geez a break man! :greengrin

In any case, I think their game at Old Trafford in a fortnight will have a huge bearing on where the title goes.

United won't particularly want City to win it again, but I think on balance, they'd prefer that to Liverpool becoming champions.

Agree it is theirs to lose

That was why I mentioned a resurgent Man Utd and I have doubts over Liverpool’s big game temperament and squad depth

Anyone that saw Man City on Sunday could not fail to be impressed indeed the Bookies agree with me

As already posted I am not a City fan my son who is a HIBS ST holder went down to Anfield on Saturday so I hope he does not read this post

May the best team win :greengrin

Dan Sarf
12-02-2019, 10:24 AM
They don't have an Academy though. :wink:

Maybe they are right? :wink:

"... at a cost of around £2m a year, Brentford (https://www.theguardian.com/football/brentford) decided it was simply too much of a risk that their academy – with so much competition on its doorstep in London – would produce enough first-team players to make that investment worthwhile. Instead they are focused on recruiting young players between 17 and 20 who have been released by academies in the Premier League, as well as talent from “undervalued markets” overseas."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts

Hibbyradge
12-02-2019, 10:28 AM
Maybe they are right? :wink:

"... at a cost of around £2m a year, Brentford (https://www.theguardian.com/football/brentford) decided it was simply too much of a risk that their academy – with so much competition on its doorstep in London – would produce enough first-team players to make that investment worthwhile. Instead they are focused on recruiting young players between 17 and 20 who have been released by academies in the Premier League, as well as talent from “undervalued markets” overseas."

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/apr/05/brentford-ditched-their-academy-premier-league-outcasts

Maybe, but they're competing against everyone else in trying to pick up young raw players.

It's good that you've found a passion for them, though. I've tried to support York, but there's no emotional connection at all.

Maybe when they move to their new stadium, things will change, but I somehow doubt it.

I can't see me caring that much for Leeds either, but maybe if they get promoted I'll see things differently.

Dan Sarf
12-02-2019, 10:38 AM
Maybe, but they're competing against everyone else in trying to pick up young raw players.

It's good that you've found a passion for them, though. I've tried to support York, but there's no emotional connection at all.

Maybe when they move to their new stadium, things will change, but I somehow doubt it.

I can't see me caring that much for Leeds either, but maybe if they get promoted I'll see things differently.

Like you, I found it impossible to support various London teams I "auditioned". Imagine supporting Chelsea for example! But I need my football fix and found Brentford very similar to Hibs in many ways: size, support, sporadic success, passion, local-ness, sense of humour, etc.

However I'll always be a Hibby and would return to live in Edinburgh in a second if it were possible. And I still find it a very strange feeling supporting another team.

IWasThere2016
12-02-2019, 12:16 PM
29 December
1. Liverpool 54pts
3. Man City 44pts

6th February
1. Man City 62pts
2. Liverpool 62pts

I have wagers on Leeds and Norwich :greengrin Not to mention with Huddersfield and Bolton to go down also - singles and doubled - and same with Lincoln and Sunderland :cb

I love English football... I'm a Cityzen at the Etihad.

I have been to a number of grounds since working in North West for last two years... atmosphere at nearly every game is better than similar at a similar Scottish game. A few bevvies inside the ground helps IMHO..

nellio
12-02-2019, 12:47 PM
I'm a Cardiff fan so I've been watching very closely especially the bottom. I think we will probably go down. We just don't have the strength in depth required.

I hope Fulham go down after spending all that money. Fulham fan at start of season in my work was very cocky.