PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Eddie May and Grant Murray

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 04:58 PM
Eddie May has confirmed the new man will be in for the next game.

Thank you for the two of them taking on a task they didn't want to do, after others let the club down by refusing to step up. Two wins and two losses but appreciate them putting themselves in the spotlight and working hard for the good of the club.

Onto Appleton with a renewed confidence and optimism :thumbsup:

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 05:01 PM
Help me out here, who refused to step up? :dunno:

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Help me out here, who refused to step up? :dunno:

From what I read they weren't the first to be asked and when Lennon was suspended there was a scrabble on to find someone willing to take the first game as others (I don't know if they were named) refused?

Either way, good on them for putting the effort in.

GreenCastle
09-02-2019, 05:03 PM

Thank you for the two of them taking on a task they didn't want to do, after others let the club down by refusing to step up. Two wins and two losses but appreciate them putting themselves in the spotlight and working hard for the good of the club.

It would have been easier if they just got on with job rather than saying they didn’t want the position. Don’t think it had to be made public or even known to the players.

Don’t think either coach had much choice and we were limited with options
- who else was going to take team ??

Hibbyradge
09-02-2019, 05:05 PM
From what I read they weren't the first to be asked and when Lennon was suspended there was a scrabble on to find someone willing to take the first game as others (I don't know if they were named) refused?

Either way, good on them for putting the effort in.

Would Gary Parker have been asked to take the team? He wasn't suspended.

offshorehibby
09-02-2019, 05:06 PM

I would imagine Eddie and Grant were the only ones asked to step, can't think of anybody else at the club capable of stepping in.

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 05:08 PM
Would Gary Parker have been asked to take the team? He wasn't suspended.

You'd have to assume so but I don't know.

Joe6-2
09-02-2019, 06:11 PM
I would imagine Eddie and Grant were the only ones asked to step, can't think of anybody else at the club capable of stepping in.

They didn't wanna dance ☺️

offshorehibby
09-02-2019, 06:20 PM
They didn't wanna dance ☺️

I, but they did. They got on with the task even though they weren't keen.

Joe6-2
09-02-2019, 06:22 PM
I, but they did. They got on with the task even though they weren't keen.

Was a joke, for older supporters I suppose!

Hi Heid Yin
09-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Was a joke, for older supporters I suppose!

And this old un remembers the song well..from 1982!

I don't wanna dance, dance with ya baby no more!

supermcginn
09-02-2019, 06:53 PM
Lol thanks for doing their job they are well paid for and playing 2 bizarre line ups in their tenure.

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Lol thanks for doing their job they are well paid for and playing 2 bizarre line ups in their tenure.

This...

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 06:59 PM

They aren’t paid to take the first team.

May hates the spotlight and Murray had to be convinced.

They depart the scene with my thanks. Well done guys 👍

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 07:07 PM

They're not two rookies with no experience of first-class football either. May has basically given up 6 points in two league games for fear of copping a heavy defeat in either game.

That's not good enough for Hibernian FC, in my opinion.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 07:10 PM
They're not two rookies with no experience of first-class football either. May has basically given up 6 points in two league games for fear of copping a heavy defeat in either game.

Against 2 sides much better than us as the league table reflects? He’s not a head coach and doesn’t want to be. He’s won 1 in the league and took as to the QF of the Cup convincingly. What more do you want from a youth coach?

HibbyAndy
09-02-2019, 07:20 PM

Even though you wanted Grant Murray to f eck ?

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-02-2019, 07:26 PM
Obviously neither wanted the job. We won 2 games we probably should have done and lost 2 games we were likely to lose. They done fine and we're in the QF of the cup. Job done. 👍

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Against 2 sides much better than us as the league table reflects? He’s not a head coach and doesn’t want to be. He’s won 1 in the league and took as to the QF of the Cup convincingly. What more do you want from a youth coach?

A bit more tactical nous and less public pleading that "I dinnae really want the job". I want to see a Hibs team compete and not effectively throw the towel in before a ba's kicked.

Not too much to ask, I don't think.

Famous Fiver
09-02-2019, 07:28 PM
Wasn't impressed with them at all today.

Plenty of criticism aimed at Flo, not once any encouragement as far as I could see, and then yelling at Horgan for not tracking back when he was obviously injured before being substituted.

They never noticed and didn't have a sub anywhere near ready to come on.

I have no time for McGlynn but he was constantly applauding and encouraging his players. Our two were doing nothing but yell and making their displeasure known.

Can't wait for the new man, whoever he is, to come in.

Rant over.

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 07:33 PM
Wasn't impressed with them at all today.

Plenty of criticism aimed at Flo, not once any encouragement as far as I could see, and then yelling at Horgan for not tracking back when he was obviously injured before being substituted.

They never noticed and didn't have a sub anywhere near ready to come on.

I have no time for McGlynn but he was constantly applauding and encouraging his players. Our two were doing nothing but yell and making their displeasure known.

Can't wait for the new man, whoever he is, to come in.

Rant over.

They're not there to be the new Guardiola and Klopp. They didn't want to take the first team, they've done it for the club and it's a job they're not paid to do.

The negativity on .net tonight is really ****ing weird. Have results been fantastic, no, but they're not there to be first team coaches.

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 07:35 PM
They're not there to be the new Guardiola and Klopp. They didn't want to take the first team, they've done it for the club and it's a job they're not paid to do.

The negativity on .net tonight is really ****ing weird. Have results been fantastic, no, but they're not there to be first team coaches.

They're not there to run the white flag up before a ball is kicked, either.

Famous Fiver
09-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Delighted at the result and the performance, I just wish our two coaches had been more supportive instead of criticising, and throwing their arms about for ninety minutes.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Even though you wanted Grant Murray to f eck ?

Only if he refused to help out. 👍

HibbyAndy
09-02-2019, 07:53 PM
Only if he refused to help out. 👍

Oh i thought it was because he was a Billy Brown and Gary Locke type figure ?

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 07:54 PM
Oh i thought it was because he was a Billy Brown and Gary Locke type figure ?

Not at all Andrew. Piss poor assumption mate.

HibbyAndy
09-02-2019, 08:00 PM
Not at all Andrew. Piss poor assumption mate.

Sorry my mistake , Just when you said he departs with your thanks , But in another thread you said Get Grant Murray to f eck while we are at it :aok:

Pete
09-02-2019, 08:04 PM
Didn’t Grant Murray have a relatively good spell in management, ironically with Raith Rovers?

They’ve only went one way since getting rid of him.👇🏻

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 08:05 PM
Sorry my mistake , Just when you said he departs with your thanks , But in another thread you said Get Grant Murray to f eck while we are at it :aok:

Was when it was said he wasn’t going to take the first team team mate. He’s well regarded and stepped up. Lockes showering buddy or no 👍

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 08:06 PM
Didn’t Grant Murray have a relatively good spell in management, ironically with Raith Rovers?

They knocked us out the cup with him in charge.

They’ve been goosed since that guy in charge of Falkirk now left them for Dundee Utd, his name escapes me.

HibbyAndy
09-02-2019, 08:06 PM

Yeah he won Raiths first Trophy in Donkey years at Easter rd against Sevco , Ramsdens cup :thumbsup:

Got binned as they had higher aspirations , As you say Pete been on a downward spiral ever since

HibbyAndy
09-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Was when it was said he wasn’t going to take the first team team mate. He’s well regarded and stepped up. Lockes showering buddy or no 👍

According to whom ?

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 08:14 PM
According to whom ?

It was reported or rumoured at the time he was having to be convinced I said on that basis he could bolt. If I did refer to him being a Jambo and you’re his pal or something then it was a stupid remark to make at a very sensitive but I gen up can’t remember.

HibbyAndy
09-02-2019, 08:19 PM
It was reported or rumoured at the time he was having to be convinced I said on that basis he could bolt. If I did refer to him being a Jambo and you’re his pal or something then it was a stupid remark to make at a very sensitive but I gen up can’t remember.

Yeah probably best just to leave it at what you said , And that's thanks Eddie & Grant :aok:

Pete
09-02-2019, 08:19 PM
Yeah he won Raiths first Trophy in Donkey years at Easter rd against Sevco , Ramsdens cup :thumbsup:

Got binned as they had higher aspirations , As you say Pete been on a downward spiral ever since

He had them near the top of the league too, playing some nice football with a team greater than the sum of its parts. Seems like a decent guy too.

Surprised he hasn’t got, or looked for, another management job.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 08:20 PM
Yeah probably best just to leave it at what you said , And that's thanks Eddie & Grant :aok:

Sound man. 👍

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 08:21 PM
He had them near the top of the league too, playing some nice football with a team greater than the sum of its parts. Seems like a decent guy too.

Surprised he hasn’t got, or looked for, another management job.

Why was he punted? I’ve no idea before being accused of acting wide.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 08:23 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/32490418

He done a class job it seems. Hell mend them. Ray McKinnon was the guy who done great for them.

Pete
09-02-2019, 08:44 PM
Why was he punted? I’ve no idea before being accused of acting wide.

Beats me. As previously suggested, maybe it’s because they thought they could do better.

Reminds me of Charlton/Alan Curbishley.

Johnny Clash
09-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Big thanks to Eddie and Grant for their efforts. They made it clear from the start they didn’t want the gig, especially under the circumstances, but would do their best until a manager was appointed. They did their best - so thanks!

matty_f
09-02-2019, 10:25 PM

Neither of them are paid to take the first team in their jobs. They've been asked to step up, and they did.

They got us into the next round of the cup, so I'll take that.

Thanks Eddie & Grant.

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Thanks Eddie & Grant.

I’ve missed so many opportunities for Electric Avenue puns :-(

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 10:29 PM
Beats me. As previously suggested, maybe it’s because they thought they could do better.

Reminds me of Charlton/Alan Curbishley.

Can see the similarities. Club got too big for their boots, somehow thought they should be above the level they where at and check the state of both now.

RyeSloan
09-02-2019, 11:05 PM
Neither of them are paid to take the first team in their jobs. They've been asked to step up, and they did.

They got us into the next round of the cup, so I'll take that.

Thanks Eddie & Grant.

Yeah but it’s not unusual in any walk of life for people to take temporary roles when an unexpected change comes along.

As the two senior / experienced coaches at the club I’d be asking questions if they weren’t keen or willing to do so in a time of need for a mighty 4 games.

matty_f
09-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Yeah but it’s not unusual in any walk of life for people to take temporary roles when an unexpected change comes along.

As the two senior / experienced coaches at the club I’d be asking questions if they weren’t keen or willing to do so in a time of need for a mighty 4 games.

This is true, and when that happens folk generally get thanked for stepping up and doing their best even if they weren't magic at it, because everyone understands that it's not their job.

So if you post something that effectively says you don't deserve thanks because you're just doing your job, then it's wrong.

ian cruise
09-02-2019, 11:19 PM
I think a lot is being made of them not wanting to take the first team. As far as I'm aware they said they weren't interested in it full time and wouldn't be applying for the vacant role. Has it actually been confirmed they didn't want to take the first team and had to be talked in to it or is it just gossip that's become a .net FACT?

RyeSloan
09-02-2019, 11:44 PM
This is true, and when that happens folk generally get thanked for stepping up and doing their best even if they weren't magic at it, because everyone understands that it's not their job.

So if you post something that effectively says you don't deserve thanks because you're just doing your job, then it's wrong.

Fair point and yeah I suppose I thank them for it but I don’t really see it as anything more or less than would have been expected considering the circumstances.

Anyhoo hopefully we turn the page next week and we can all look to move forward again [emoji106][emoji106]

ian cruise
10-02-2019, 12:38 AM

Agree. Probably similar to someone in an office or retail coming in and working at a weekend or doing overtime because someone's out sick. You thank them for their efforts even though what they're doing is an extention of their existing role.

May and Murray deserve thanks as they were there when we needed them, plus they'll have been doing their existing roles in parallel which can't have been easy, unless we just closed down the youth teams for two weeks.

Forza Fred
10-02-2019, 01:02 AM
They took on a job neither was expecting, and while the circumstances surrounding their temporary assignment were difficult, once in it they did their best.

I thought the cup game was a definite banana skin, but they guided us through it and salvaged what is left of our season, handing an opportunity for success to our new manager.

Weseemquick to criticise, but slow to praise people on here sometimes.

Thank you, for your efforts guys.

JimBHibees
10-02-2019, 06:39 AM
Totally agree with the praise of them very difficult situation and dont get any need to criticise them. They have won the games expected and came up short against better teams. With the obsession with win ratio theirs is 50% so maybe we should be considering them for the job permanent. :greengrin

They have done a difficult job well. Good for Grant also in that this would have been an important one for him given his previous time at Raith.

JimBHibees
10-02-2019, 06:40 AM

Frankly bollocks. Bit of a whiff about your posts.

JimBHibees
10-02-2019, 06:43 AM

Yep yesterday was a good day for the club and a step forward IMO yet some seem obsessed in trying to drag us back into crisis. Really strange attitude from fans wanting our club to do well.

JimBHibees
10-02-2019, 06:49 AM
I think a lot is being made of them not wanting to take the first team. As far as I'm aware they said they weren't interested in it full time and wouldn't be applying for the vacant role. Has it actually been confirmed they didn't want to take the first team and had to be talked in to it or is it just gossip that's become a .net FACT?

That obviously came from Eddie being honest and saying he didnt want the job as he enjoys the academy job he is doing now. See absolutely no issue with him being up front about that and dont know why anyone else does. To me they have done well, turned it round at St Mirren and then won comfortably in a cup tie we could easily have struggled in. Against Aberdeen good start then let down by defensive and goalkeeping errors against a better team at present.

SquashedFrogg
10-02-2019, 06:50 AM

But they weren't doing 'their' job.

Joe6-2
10-02-2019, 07:19 AM
I’ve missed so many opportunities for Electric Avenue puns :-(

See my post earlier, seemed to go over most peoples heads!

scooby
10-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Well done Eddie and Grant, you've kept our season alive, job done!
Wasn't a vintage performance, but we were never in any trouble. Horgan my MOM.

Caversham Green
10-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Totally agree with the praise of them very difficult situation and dont get any need to criticise them. They have won the games expected and came up short against better teams. With the obsession with win ratio theirs is 50% so maybe we should be considering them for the job permanent. :greengrin

They have done a difficult job well. Good for Grant also in that this would have been an important one for him given his previous time at Raith.

It's actually 60% if we count the St Mirren game. That was probably the most problematic of the lot - little time to prepare the team, presumably low morale in the squad and in themselves and a team we were expected to beat but no walkover. I don't understand why it's being ignored by some.

Another stat - 3 wins out of 5 Vs 3 wins out of 15.

JimBHibees
10-02-2019, 07:54 AM
It's actually 60% if we count the St Mirren game. That was probably the most problematic of the lot - little time to prepare the team, presumably low morale in the squad and in themselves and a team we were expected to beat but no walkover. I don't understand why it's being ignored by some.

Another stat - 3 wins out of 5 Vs 3 wins out of 15.

Thought they had 4 games won 2 lost 2.

Caversham Green
10-02-2019, 07:57 AM
Thought they had 4 games won 2 lost 2.

Oops - you're right - for some reason I was counting the Elgin game.

Just ignore me.

Hibbyradge
10-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Fair point and yeah I suppose I thank them for it but I don’t really see it as anything more or less than would have been expected considering the circumstances.

Anyhoo hopefully we turn the page next week and we can all look to move forward again [emoji106][emoji106]

People should be thanked for doing their job as a matter of course.

It makes people feel valued and keeps motivation levels up.

Taking folk for granted does the exact opposite.

jgl07
10-02-2019, 10:28 AM

So, with a different lineup, Hibs would have been odds on to beat Aberdeen and Celtic away?

I am detecting the smell of a well known tropical tuber.