PDA

View Full Version : Behind the goals

HIBBYSTU T
09-02-2019, 09:26 AM
Closed again.To be one of the best for fans,to one of the worse .

jacomo
09-02-2019, 09:28 AM
Closed again.To be one of the best for fans,to one of the worse .

I remain continually baffled that Hibs cannot get its pre-match and catering offer right.

Good news for hostelries and businesses along Easter Road I suppose.

Golden Bear
09-02-2019, 10:23 AM
What was the reason this time?

Bostonhibby
09-02-2019, 10:54 AM
What was the reason this time?The seagulls seem to have disappeared so maybe no one to eat the leftovers?

God knows but feels like a missed opportunity. Was there anything from fans reps explaining?

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Chorley Hibee
09-02-2019, 11:05 AM
As mentioned above, I find our inability to deal with some of the basic issues in a functioning football club utterly bemusing (ticketing, catering, behind the goals, correspondence, singing section etc).

Hopefully it's not just the football staff who pay with their jobs for underperforming.

stantonhibby
09-02-2019, 11:08 AM
Was in last wk and it wasn't great. Only 2 folk serving each bar so big queues.

Phil MaGlass
09-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Was in last wk and it wasn't great. Only 2 folk serving each bar so big queues.

Was in a couple of times before, useless service, surely there must be someone out there willing to take it on, then again, I find Hawkhill SC miles better. Profit there for the taking if they could get their fingers oot.

Sir David Gray
09-02-2019, 12:02 PM
Think it's about time they either closed this place permanently or improved the offering.

It's very poor at the moment and has been for some time.

Phil MaGlass
09-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Jees, If it wisnae fir the fact ah live in Holland ah wid dae it masel...:agree:

Golden Bear
09-02-2019, 12:05 PM
Think it's about time they either closed this place permanently or improved the offering.

:agree:

I've never been back since some anonymous person(s) made the insane ruling that fans were prevented from getting in after 1.30 even although they could be accommodated comfortably.

Jones28
09-02-2019, 12:14 PM

I haven't been in for years but it was woefully slow getting served last time I was there.

Hibs have got to realise that fans will come to use the facilities in most circumstances, but to maximise the income they've got to be used properly.

Anyone wanting to know how to run a fans bar needs to go to Murrayfield.

Since90+2
09-02-2019, 12:22 PM
:agree:

I've never been back since some anonymous person(s) made the insane ruling that fans were prevented from getting in after 1.30 even although they could be accommodated comfortably.

Madness.

ahibby
09-02-2019, 03:31 PM
Madness.

For me the best days in there were when Carlsberg were our sponsors. Maybe because it was in the days or Sauzee and Latapy and the crowds were good and we were winning a lot which made the place seem vibrant or maybe because Carlsberg knew what it's all about. I remember a square bar popping up somewhere in the middle in addition to the bars at the ends and sides. Great days and buying Carlsberg by the jugs rather than pints. Sadly miss those days.

MSK
09-02-2019, 03:43 PM
For me the best days in there were when Carlsberg were our sponsors. Maybe because it was in the days or Sauzee and Latapy and the crowds were good and we were winning a lot which made the place seem vibrant or maybe because Carlsberg knew what it's all about. I remember a square bar popping up somewhere in the middle in addition to the bars at the ends and sides. Great days and buying Carlsberg by the jugs rather than pints. Sadly miss those days.I remember the days when it was the Almond suite, square tellys stuck up on a corner of the wall, had to order your pint a half hour in advance because it poured by the drip. Was good for a meet before the game unless you turned up a wee bit later looking for a table and one guy was sat with 6 seats reserved for the mates, jacket on one seat, hat on the other, scarf and gloves on the others, ****ing bingo boys 😆

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 04:03 PM
For me the best days in there were when Carlsberg were our sponsors. Maybe because it was in the days or Sauzee and Latapy and the crowds were good and we were winning a lot which made the place seem vibrant or maybe because Carlsberg knew what it's all about. I remember a square bar popping up somewhere in the middle in addition to the bars at the ends and sides. Great days and buying Carlsberg by the jugs rather than pints. Sadly miss those days.

I thought it only come into place when Mowbray was here and it was randomly sponsored by Carling?

Jones28
09-02-2019, 04:03 PM
I thought it only come into place when Mowbray was here and it was randomly sponsored by Carling?

That was my impression too

MSK
09-02-2019, 04:40 PM
I thought it only come into place when Mowbray was here and it was randomly sponsored by Carling?Yip, early days when it was Carlsberg (boak) there werent any central bars

AFKA5814_Hibs
09-02-2019, 04:43 PM
Can't beat somewhere like Robbies. Even when heaving they always have plenty of staff on and always get served within minutes.

GreenCastle
09-02-2019, 05:00 PM
As mentioned above, I find our inability to deal with some of the basic issues in a functioning football club utterly bemusing (ticketing, catering, behind the goals, correspondence, singing section etc).

Hopefully it's not just the football staff who pay with their jobs for underperforming.

Having done a stadium tour and today switched from East to West Stand the whole stadium needs improvements.

It’s starting to feel a bit tired and dated and basics like paintwork and cleaniness of the place needs improved.

The South Stand to the community part too has stains on carpet etc also.

The bars and hospitality needs refreshed and even the players lounge isn’t great.

The positive in the West Stand was I could hear he tannoy so it must just be the East Stand where it’s awful and you can’t hear a word.

I really hope LD sorts the match day experience and glad I didn’t take a friend to behind the goals today as had no idea it was shut.

jingler1954
09-02-2019, 05:04 PM
What was the reason this time?

I think there was a problem in the ground today as nothing opened until later than usual.

staunchhibby
09-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Believe they even ran out of pies before half time in the upper ff.Now there's a surprise lol.

Leith Green
09-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Having done a stadium tour and today switched from East to West Stand the whole stadium needs improvements.

It’s starting to feel a bit tired and dated and basics like paintwork and cleaniness of the place needs improved.

The bars and hospitality needs refreshed and even the players lounge isn’t great.

The positive in the West Stand was I could hear he tannoy so it must just be the East Stand where it’s awful and you can’t hear a word.

I really hope LD sorts the match day experience and glad I didn’t take a friend to behind the goals today as had no idea it was shut.

The back of the famous five stand needs sprucing up as well. It has looked terrible for ages now.

green&left
09-02-2019, 06:49 PM
I know this is about the bar but it's a joke that you couldn't get a ticket for the FF today on the day as well. Ticket pod shut and ticket office refused to sell them too. Bit of a farce, even more so with the ticket site being humped for weeks.

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 07:20 PM
I paid into the match today as I didn't know until this morning whether a prior commitment would rule me out from attending (which it turned out it didn't).

I bought a ticket at the West stand Pod. Upon getting to the front of the queue i was told that if I wanted to go into the West stand lower, I had to pay by debit/credit card, and if I wanted to go the upper, I had to pay by cash. (I wanted to go to the Upper.)

As it stood I had both cards and cash on me but it struck me that Hibs seem to find ways of making it as difficult as possible sometimes for punters to put cash into the club.

The Behind the Goals "experience" is another example of where the " service " is pared down to the bone, and this whiff of bargain basement offerings by the club has to stop.

Jones28
09-02-2019, 07:27 PM
I know this is about the bar but it's a joke that you couldn't get a ticket for the FF today on the day as well. Ticket pod shut and ticket office refused to sell them too. Bit of a farce, even more so with the ticket site being humped for weeks.

It's farcical that, with a crowd of 7000, tickets weren't available for anyone wherever they wanted them.

Famous Fiver
09-02-2019, 07:39 PM
With Behinf the Goals being shut I headed for the Hibs club at Sunnyside. Got in no problem ( signed in), battalion of bar staff at the ready, £3.50 a pint, a serving hatch for food, tellies working. Place was extremely busy, reminded me of the Wheeltappers club on the telly.

What more do you want?

The Hibs club should put in a tender to run Behind the Goals to show them how it could and should be run.

TiaMaria
09-02-2019, 09:50 PM

The Working Together Group have already had a walk round to identify key areas where we can do some improvements. We know that it's a huge job and not all areas can be done at once. Anyone interested in coming along to the next meeting on 28th Feb would be made most welcome and we'd love to hear your ideas. Meetings are usually well advertised on Hibs Facebook page and on this Forum.

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Why does the club not just pay to have it done???

supermcginn
09-02-2019, 09:57 PM
Can't beat somewhere like Robbies. Even when heaving they always have plenty of staff on and always get served within minutes.

Great pub

GreenCastle
09-02-2019, 10:00 PM
The Working Together Group have already had a walk round to identify key areas where we can do some improvements. We know that it's a huge job and not all areas can be done at once. Anyone interested in coming along to the next meeting on 28th Feb would be made most welcome and we'd love to hear your ideas. Meetings are usually well advertised on Hibs Facebook page and on this Forum.

Good to see it’s been noticed.

Though like the rubbish tannoy in east and catering prices / quality I hold my breath till I see any action.

The stadium needs some attention - seats, paintwork (West Stand lower steps for example don’t look great), paint work inside West Upper toilets / holes in the wall) are just a few other examples.

Other things like relaying the 3G around the pitch and tidying up the rubbish in corners of the stadium would help aesthetically.

Small details which I hope can be passed on as it’s a fantastic place when looked after.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Can the fans rep let us know whatever happened to the NHS taking over a massive part of the North Stand please? It caused massive uproar and now it seems like it was just an excuse to shut down stuff.

TiaMaria
09-02-2019, 10:24 PM
Why does the club not just pay to have it done???

They will be paying for it but you need to prioritise as even a simple paint job can cost a lot of money. The group are there to put forward ideas so that it's not just the Club making unilateral decisions.

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 10:40 PM
They will be paying for it but you need to prioritise as even a simple paint job can cost a lot of money. The group are there to put forward ideas so that it's not just the Club making unilateral decisions.

I thought we had a stadium manager - does the fabric and maintenance of the ground not fall within their remit?

silverhibee
09-02-2019, 10:46 PM

Any truth the top level of the FF is a shambles, can't remember what the top suite is but was told it is a mess, seemingly needs more than a lick of paint.

RyeSloan
09-02-2019, 10:58 PM

Nothing wrong with some fans input for sure but maybe I’m missing something but why does the club need help in assessing basic maintenance?

I get that everything costs money but maintaining the basic fabric of the stadium would seem like a standard cost that needs to be factored into the running of the club.

Last time I was on the stadium tour a year or so ago it was pretty obvious that the place needed some serious investment. And if the club is struggling to raise the funds then they need to get creative in doing so.

As others have alluded to there has been many pronouncements about utilising the stadium better when in reality that appears to have turned into using it less and ignoring its upkeep.

Scotty Leither
09-02-2019, 11:03 PM
Would selling naming rights to the ground pay for it?

Or how about the owners/custodians of the club cough up for it themselves?

We're not putting the hat round to pay for maintenance of the ground, surely?

matty_f
09-02-2019, 11:16 PM

Have you been asked for any money for it?

I've not seen anything from the club asking game to chip in for stadium maintenance unless I've missed something?

DarlingtonHibee
09-02-2019, 11:20 PM

Scotty

There will be budgets in place.

It will be up to the stadium manager to prioritise.

Why should stf pay for it.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 11:23 PM
Scotty

There will be budgets in place.

It will be up to the stadium manager to prioritise.

Why should stf pay for it.

Because he owns the stadium??

matty_f
09-02-2019, 11:25 PM

Hibs own the stadium.

DarlingtonHibee
09-02-2019, 11:26 PM

The club is a business.

It is operated on a break even basis that includes maintenance.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 11:29 PM
Hibs own the stadium.

Thanks. I thought it was an asset of Farmer before. Apologies. Not that it matters one bit. The stadium should be looked after.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 11:30 PM
The club is a business.

It is operated on a break even basis that includes maintenance.

Get the stands sorted then for the people that actually go there week in week out otherwise they will stop going.

DarlingtonHibee
09-02-2019, 11:35 PM
Absolute rubbish.

Your telling me that a bit of paintwork is going to stop people going.

Think you need to take a few deep breaths before you post.

Hibs is a multi million pound business, with a very professional board.

I am very happy with the club.

Forza Fred
09-02-2019, 11:55 PM
Interesting comments on the maintenance cost of the stadium.

It is just ONE cost which many don’t consider when they yell about ‘where has all the money gone’

The sole expense the club has is not just in players’ wages and associated transfer and signing on fees, but in relatively mundane regular but necessary items.

Ground sharing has never really got off the ground in the UK, but eventually some thought about community owned stadiums rented to clubs for match days, will be on the agenda.

Maybe not in the next 10 years or so, but it will come.

Jones28
10-02-2019, 12:00 AM

It is just ONE cost which many don’t consider when they yell about ‘where has all the money gone’

The sole expense the club has is not just in players’ wages and associated transfer and signing on fees, but in relatively mundane regular but necessary items.

Ground sharing has never really got off the ground in the UK, but eventually some thought about community owned stadiums rented to clubs for match days, will be on the agenda.

I can't see it.

10-02-2019, 12:22 AM
Behind the goals is a great facility that we aren't making the most out of. Get it right and the club could be making a tidy wee sum out of it.

ian cruise
10-02-2019, 12:32 AM
I remain continually baffled that Hibs cannot get its pre-match and catering offer right.

Good news for hostelries and businesses along Easter Road I suppose.

Why they don't just ask Eden Mill to run the bar I don't know? Excellent opportunity to promote their own products and Hibs and the fans hopefully get a better service as its not a no name catering company where it makes no difference how you perform as the fans blame the club not you (I should add that as its the clubs facility even though they don't run it I think should shoulder the blame for letting it continue to be mismanaged). If Eden Mill didn't want it someone like Stewart Brewing surely would?

As for the catering, again surely there's better local providers, I liked the idea someone floated where you just let lots of food trucks and small companies wothh a variety run out the area and not give it to a bog standard company serving below par pies, pizza and chips. The Apprentice came to Edinburgh years ago and proved there was a market for something better and those folks are idiots.

NAE NOOKIE
10-02-2019, 01:18 AM

This pisses me off as well. When its not a season ticket game I like to sit in the FF upper, but the pod has been closed for both Scottish cup ties this season. If I can be arsed to drive 40 miles and pay £20 to go to games over half our ST holders gave a miss I don't think its too much to ask that I can buy a ticket for the bit of the stadium I like on the day.

I also agree with other posters about the way the stadium is beginning to look a bit run down … I took the tour last year and I was surprised at how spartan the suites in the west stand looked … few pictures, fading paint job and carpets that looked like they could have done with replacing a good while before I was there.

IMO behind the goals has been a bit of a disaster. It was supposed to be getting closed because the NHS deal was more profitable, now its half open and then isn't open at all for some games …. and the NHS deal seems to have gone by the wayside, Hibs haven't mentioned it for months and months. I cant say I was impressed with Hibs lukewarm attitude to BTG … IMO it was a good way to connect with fans who cant afford hospitality packages and the like and for that reason profit shouldn't have been the main concern for keeping it open.

Watching the highlights of todays match on Sportscene was it my imagination or are there a number of broken seats in the south stand as well that have been that way for some time?

I always think a stadium which begins to look neglected is a sign of a club which is beginning to lose focus. I don't think Hibs are quite at that stage yet, but it is a bit concerning that folk are beginning to notice.

The 90+2
10-02-2019, 01:38 AM
Absolute rubbish.

Your telling me that a bit of paintwork is going to stop people going.

Think you need to take a few deep breaths before you post.

Hibs is a multi million pound business, with a very professional board.

I am very happy with the club.

Did you go today m8? Nah thought not. Pipe down.

Tornadoes70
10-02-2019, 01:51 AM

Very true mate.

Football's not all about squad budgets. There's literally hundreds of other aspects to running a football club that cost money. Budgets have to be strictly adhered to.

Even speculating to accumulate rarely works in the long term, you only have to look at what happened to Rangers and Hearts to name just two clubs who thought they could spend zillions without consequence. Celtic and our own club also in the past came very close to nearly shutting the doors.

Its not what most supporters want to hear but the club really needs the supporters to turn out in numbers every home game and give their support both financially and vocally no matter if we're going through a sticky spell.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Forza Fred
10-02-2019, 02:23 AM
I can't see it.

That’s fair enough, but when you think about it, the maintenance costs for an asset that, given most big clubs have their own seperate trading complexes, only gets used once every couple of weeks, it doesn’t make a lot of sense business wise.

Not just talking about Hibs.......but Iguess a simple example is say Hibs hire buses to transport them to matches on match days....it wouldn’t make a lot of economic sense to buy a bus for this purpose, and incur the costs that go with it, eg employment of drivers, maintenance, registration, insurance etc etc, for an asset that is used sparingly

I get the ‘tradition’ thing and am not advocating for such a change, but I do see it as inevitable,
It’s already the norm in bits of Europe, and here in Oz it’s also in place.

Eventually the costs of individual owned stadiums will prove prohibitive I fear.

SMAXXA
10-02-2019, 05:02 AM
If we are talking about a true community stadium and this whole ethos being fundamental to the values and direction of the club we support, surly this is a 2 way street. I have watched Sunderland a club that’s not had their troubles to seek in recent years really pull together and the recent example of fan volunteers helping to refit seats in the stadium is just brilliant. If there are things that need to be done such as maintenance like a lick of paint why shouldn’t supporters offer to chip and and help. Why should we be of the opinion of the club should pay for everything and get it all done now, which btw I do get it will officially be their responsibility to do so but we arnt a multi million pound profit generating club with cash to burn, surely anything to help save money to use elsewhere on the football side would be an avenue worth exploring.

Its our club and everyone should take pride in it and help wherever possibly to do so. Am no saying we should all bring our own bevie and serve ourselves behind the goals though 😂.

Just another way of thinking appreciate will be challenged but I do have an overwhelming sense and myself included that we as fans would rally around if the club was on it’s arse much like what hearts fans have done but we take things for granted where there possibly more we could do, not just hibs fans btw.

Viva_Palmeiras
10-02-2019, 05:36 AM
If we are talking about a true community stadium and this whole ethos being fundamental to the values and direction of the club we support, surly this is a 2 way street. I have watched Sunderland a club that’s not had their troubles to seek in recent years really pull together and the recent example of fan volunteers helping to refit seats in the stadium is just brilliant. If there are things that need to be done such as maintenance like a lick of paint why shouldn’t supporters offer to chip and and help. Why should we be of the opinion of the club should pay for everything and get it all done now, which btw I do get it will officially be their responsibility to do so but we arnt a multi million pound profit generating club with cash to burn, surely anything to help save money to use elsewhere on the football side would be an avenue worth exploring.

Its our club and everyone should take pride in it and help wherever possibly to do so. Am no saying we should all bring our own bevie and serve ourselves behind the goals though 😂.

Just another way of thinking appreciate will be challenged but I do have an overwhelming sense and myself included that we as fans would rally around if the club was on it’s arse much like what hearts fans have done but we take things for granted where there possibly more we could do, not just hibs fans btw.

Our fans have painted the stadium steps to your point above. Fans have in previous seasons contacted lapsed ST holders to feedback to the club / get folks to re-sign.

LWT and now Working together has some examples of the fans rallying round to do more for the club.

LeithSqualk
10-02-2019, 06:52 AM
Who has the contract for behind the goals? If its Hibs we are loosing a fortune. If it’s contracted out we will be making the same money from rent but surely the poor image it projects onto the club may breach some part of the contract.

They should seriously consider renewing the contract on a profit share basis, busier it is the more Hibs make.

Does anyone know if/when contacts are up and how you apply?

Jones28
10-02-2019, 06:56 AM
That’s fair enough, but when you think about it, the maintenance costs for an asset that, given most big clubs have their own seperate trading complexes, only gets used once every couple of weeks, it doesn’t make a lot of sense business wise.

Not just talking about Hibs.......but Iguess a simple example is say Hibs hire buses to transport them to matches on match days....it wouldn’t make a lot of economic sense to buy a bus for this purpose, and incur the costs that go with it, eg employment of drivers, maintenance, registration, insurance etc etc, for an asset that is used sparingly

I get the ‘tradition’ thing and am not advocating for such a change, but I do see it as inevitable,
It’s already the norm in bits of Europe, and here in Oz it’s also in place.

Eventually the costs of individual owned stadiums will prove prohibitive I fear.

Oh I get the logic, but Scottish football is so parochial and small minded that we've got two teams that have seoerate stadiums 100 metres apart.

DarlingtonHibee
10-02-2019, 12:18 PM
Did you go today m8? Nah thought not. Pipe down.

No I wasn't at the game, it's an expensive day for me and my son, but we get to as many as we can.

You are the biggest drama queen on the forum.

You know absolutely nothing about the workings of Hibs.

Every response is to try and slag fellow hibs fans off.

Only post when you have FACTS.

The 90+2
10-02-2019, 12:20 PM
No I wasn't at the game, it's an expensive day for me and my son, but we get to as many as we can.

You are the biggest drama queen on the forum.

You know absolutely nothing about the workings of Hibs.

Every response is to try and slag fellow hibs fans off.

Only post when you have FACTS.

Thought not. Cheerio. Away and stalk someone else.

DarlingtonHibee
10-02-2019, 12:36 PM
Thought not. Cheerio. Away and stalk someone else.

You are a very sad man.

Stalk you, I'd rather put you on ignore.

I'll say it again you know nothing about how the club operates.

Fans not coming to games because of the paintwork ffs...

The 90+2
10-02-2019, 12:43 PM
You are a very sad man.

Very sad man? You’ve said that about 5 times over the last few days have you got a stutter or something? I’ve actually no clue and never recognised any of your posts ever apart from launching attacks at me and making a complete fool of yourself.

And you know so much about how the club operates yeah? Made a complete Neilson of the last thread you hung about trying to cause an arguement hurling loads of abuse and doing the same here.

Please please put me on ignore, gies peace. I would rather interact with actual Hibs fans anyway.

.Sean.
10-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Did you go today m8? Nah thought not. Pipe down.Youre fast becoming the biggest gob***** on the forum, suppose that’s no hard though with the sheer amount and volume of posts from you. Ever felt like piping down yourself?

The 90+2
10-02-2019, 12:56 PM
Youre fast becoming the biggest gob***** on the forum, suppose that’s no hard though with the sheer amount and volume of posts from you. Ever felt like piping down yourself?

Will do Sean..(.). The voice of reason has spoken.

hibbyfraelibby
10-02-2019, 01:22 PM
I thought we had a stadium manager - does the fabric and maintenance of the ground not fall within their remit?

No we dont...

10-02-2019, 03:41 PM
Behind the goals is a great facility that we aren't making the most out of. Get it right and the club could be making a tidy wee sum out of it.

Can't help but agree. Recent years it's been run into the ground. The crowd I meet up with stopped going a while back. Service had become so bad we just went elsewhere for a few beers before the game. Pity really as always liked putting my beer money into the club.

linlithgowhibbie
10-02-2019, 05:01 PM
With Behinf the Goals being shut I headed for the Hibs club at Sunnyside. Got in no problem ( signed in), battalion of bar staff at the ready, £3.50 a pint, a serving hatch for food, tellies working. Place was extremely busy, reminded me of the Wheeltappers club on the telly.

What more do you want?

The Hibs club should put in a tender to run Behind the Goals to show them how it could and should be run.

If they did that they would lose business in the Hibs Club. I agree about the Hibs Club tho' I have been a member since the 1960s and it has never been better run/value, altho' sometimes queue times at bar are long due to the numbers in it nowadays. This is mostly caused by bar staff not turning up!

I reckon the Behind the Goals should be run as a bottle bar only, no waiting 5 mins whilst the Heavy/ Guinness/Best pours. Cash only, £3 bottle Tennants/Bud/Best/Heavy. All that's needed is big fridge to keep it cool before serving it, and sufficient staff to get it sold pronto!:thumbsup:

we are hibs
10-02-2019, 05:05 PM
You are a very sad man.

You keep telling people they don't know how football clubs operate. Come on and enlighten us because you blatantly do.

TiaMaria
11-02-2019, 01:52 PM

It's not just about maintenance, its about enhancement, hence getting fan input on ideas and being inclusive. The Working Together Group is a place where all ideas can be discussed and obviously if people can or want to volunteer to do things then this is a good place to do it. No one has asked for money to do any of this as some others have suggested but if volunteers can do some of it then obviously the budget that is in place can stretch further.