PDA

View Full Version : NHC Jack Harper

Mibbes Aye
07-02-2019, 07:30 PM
Quite an interesting read in the link below, featuring an interview piece with Jack Harper, the Scottish player who was on Real Madrid’s books just a few years ago.

He talks about what happened after Real and where he is now and his hopes for an international call-up, as well as describing how he ended up in Spain in the first place.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/07/jack-harper-interview-real-madrid-malaga-scotland

Scorrie
07-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Quite an interesting read in the link below, featuring an interview piece with Jack Harper, the Scottish player who was on Real Madrid’s books just a few years ago.

He talks about what happened after Real and where he is now and his hopes for an international call-up, as well as describing how he ended up in Spain in the first place.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2019/feb/07/jack-harper-interview-real-madrid-malaga-scotland

It is a good read. Was dropped by Scotland u21 coach at the time for being too small yet was on Madrid’s books. Some archaic fitbaw thinking out there sometimes...

delbert
08-02-2019, 10:44 AM

I thought this was going to be a thread about the conductor on On The Buses !!

SChibs
08-02-2019, 10:47 AM
It is a good read. Was dropped by Scotland u21 coach at the time for being too small yet was on Madrid’s books. Some archaic fitbaw thinking out there sometimes...

The reason out nation team isn't living up to its potential. The focus seems to be on bringing through the biggest fittest players whereas we should be nurturing the players with the natural technical ability the likes of Jack Harper clearly have. Players can train to be fitter and stronger but you can't train someone to be have natural ability.

StevesFamau5
08-02-2019, 11:11 AM
Seems to be quite popular with Malaga supporters as well.

Good player as well.

Petrie get it sorted :grr:

:cb

Big_Franck
08-02-2019, 12:34 PM
There was a piece on him in the local Malaga paper yesterday. Appears he is out of contract at the end of the season and is still negotiating with Malaga over a new deal, but says he wants to make sure the club value him properly. The article also says there is interest from Getafe to take him on a free in the summer. That'd be a great move for him, and you'd think if he was getting a game for Getafe in La Liga he'd be called up to our senior squad. Good luck to the boy.

Big_Franck
01-07-2019, 05:33 PM
Jack Harper has just moved from Malaga in Spain's second division to Getafe who finished 5th in La Liga last year.

A great move for him, they've given him a 5 year deal and Getafe will be playing in the Europa League this year. Surely be in with a shout of making Scotland squads over the next year as well.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48825180 (https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48825180)

LeithMike
01-07-2019, 05:42 PM
The reason out nation team isn't living up to its potential. The focus seems to be on bringing through the biggest fittest players whereas we should be nurturing the players with the natural technical ability the likes of Jack Harper clearly have. Players can train to be fitter and stronger but you can't train someone to be have natural ability.This thinking was still prevalent with our national team's manager not that long ago in his refusal to pick Griffiths until his hand was forced. If it's that high up then it's probably embedded deep into the core of Scottish football.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Centre Hawf
01-07-2019, 06:30 PM
Harper in La Liga and Hendo in Serie A. This type of of foreign experience could be so valuable to our national side.

SChibs
01-07-2019, 08:17 PM
Harper in La Liga and Hendo in Serie A. This type of of foreign experience could be so valuable to our national side.

Who cares what league they play in all that matters is if they are tall enough.

Smartie
01-07-2019, 08:20 PM

Fortunately I think we at last have a manager who will see beyond that load of nonsense.

The Modfather
01-07-2019, 08:30 PM
This thinking was still prevalent with our national team's manager not that long ago in his refusal to pick Griffiths until his hand was forced. If it's that high up then it's probably embedded deep into the core of Scottish football.

We now have Petrie to lead us into the modern age....

CMurdoch
01-07-2019, 08:46 PM
Jack Harper has just moved from Malaga in Spain's second division to Getafe who finished 5th in La Liga last year.

A great move for him, they've given him a 5 year deal and Getafe will be playing in the Europa League this year. Surely be in with a shout of making Scotland squads over the next year as well.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/48825180

23 year old moves for a reported £1.5 million between Spanish teams.
His new team averaged less than 11,000 fans for home games in the Primera Liga last season
Young Mr Harper has done well but still has a long way to go to reach the big time or even the Scotland team.

ancient hibee
01-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Young Mr Harper has a long way to go to reach the big time or even the Scotland team.
Not quite with you.You could buy half the Scottish team for £1.5 M and not too many of them playing in La Liga.

overdrive
01-07-2019, 09:00 PM

In these cases they tick that box too :wink:

CMurdoch
01-07-2019, 09:04 PM
Not quite with you.You could buy half the Scottish team for £1.5 M and not too many of them playing in La Liga.

Some folk got prematurely very upset when he wasn't getting picked for the Under 21's.
Now 23, he is a striker who has just played his first season in a first team (25 appearances, 4 goals).
He has done well to hang on in Spanish football and get this move but at this time is very much a guy with potential and his career could still go either way.

Is It On....
01-07-2019, 09:09 PM
This thinking was still prevalent with our national team's manager not that long ago in his refusal to pick Griffiths until his hand was forced. If it's that high up then it's probably embedded deep into the core of Scottish football.

Ryan Fraser was in much the same position. Smallest player in the EPL but great goals and assists stats. Seem to remember Cosgrove & Cowan giving the authorities and McLeish a hard time on this.

HUTCHYHIBBY
01-07-2019, 09:10 PM
Not quite with you.You could buy half the Scottish team for £1.5 M.

Can't be bothered checking but, want to list them for us? 🙄

HoboHarry
01-07-2019, 09:12 PM

That's a scurrilous allegation with known progressives like Malky McKay in positions of responsibility.......

CMurdoch
01-07-2019, 09:26 PM
Ryan Fraser was in much the same position. Smallest player in the EPL but great goals and assists stats. Seem to remember Cosgrove & Cowan giving the authorities and McLeish a hard time on this.

Ryan Fraser is a pocket battleship. Super powerful guy. He is a good example to small slight players. If you don't work hard at your physique you will struggle to do well in England.

Big_Franck
01-07-2019, 10:14 PM
His new team averaged less than 11,000 fans for home games in the Primera Liga last season
Young Mr Harper has done well but still has a long way to go to reach the big time or even the Scotland team.

Not sure that Getafe's attendances have anything to do with it, they were the 5th best team in Spain last year and were very unlucky not to qualify for the Champions League. Using the same logic John Collins would never have played for or captained our national side when he was at Monaco.

Also not sure I'd describe playing for Malaga, a club who not so long ago were playing Champions League football, as 'hanging on' in football but I do agree there was a premature clamour for him to be involved with the national sides just because he was contracted to Real Madrid.

Now he's going to be involved at a decent La Liga side he's going to be playing at a far, far higher level than a lot of the players that make our squads. It's not unusual for us to have players from England's third tier in our squads. Hopefully he'll get some game time at Getafe and kick on again.

CMurdoch
02-07-2019, 02:19 AM
Not sure that Getafe's attendances have anything to do with it, they were the 5th best team in Spain last year and were very unlucky not to qualify for the Champions League. Using the same logic John Collins would never have played for or captained our national side when he was at Monaco.

Also not sure I'd describe playing for Malaga, a club who not so long ago were playing Champions League football, as 'hanging on' in football but I do agree there was a premature clamour for him to be involved with the national sides just because he was contracted to Real Madrid.

Now he's going to be involved at a decent La Liga side he's going to be playing at a far, far higher level than a lot of the players that make our squads. It's not unusual for us to have players from England's third tier in our squads. Hopefully he'll get some game time at Getafe and kick on again.

Given their 5th position finish last season I presume the vultures are circling to pick off the Getafe players that made it happen which will send them back to their normal level whereupon Jack Harper will start playing.

In all seriousness I will be interested to see if he can get game time this season.

Re Malaga, they are a big and well supported team but Harper played for them in the 2nd tier. Would probably have been better signing a new contract with them.

Barman Stanton
02-07-2019, 07:29 AM

Well with no offence to him, the fact McNulty ended up playing for Scotland last season shows that the standard to get a game up front for Scotland is not exactly that high. Im not really getting your negativity to be honest. A young Scottish player playing for the team that finished 5th in La Liga. Surely this is a nice positive story no?

brog
02-07-2019, 08:37 AM

He must have impressed at the press conference. DR now reporting £15m fee. What a rag!

One Day
02-07-2019, 08:42 AM
I thought this was going to be a thread about the conductor on On The Buses !!

Made me laugh, but I think you have to be a certain age lol

NORTHERNHIBBY
02-07-2019, 09:28 AM
He must have impressed at the press conference. DR now reporting £15m fee. What a rag!

Missing the point again.