PDA

View Full Version : Appleton or Heckingbottom?

Diclonius
07-02-2019, 01:26 PM
Looks like it's between these two - who would be your pick?

CapitalGreen
07-02-2019, 01:29 PM
Maybe add a neither option

James-6.2-3.2
07-02-2019, 01:31 PM
None 🙈

muzzhfc
07-02-2019, 01:31 PM
Hibees 3 the rangers 2 as the other option?

BH Hibs
07-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Meh. Hope I’m pleasantly surprised though.

The Harp Awakes
07-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Yes, need a 'Neither' option.

dphibs
07-02-2019, 01:35 PM
Neither

HoboHarry
07-02-2019, 01:37 PM
Where is the "other" button? MSM aren't to be believed in much and who would be surprised if LD pulled a rabbit out of a hat?

CraigHibee
07-02-2019, 01:37 PM
it's like trying to choose between a punch to the teeth of a swift boot to the stones, would rather have neither tbh

flash
07-02-2019, 01:39 PM
it's like trying to choose between a punch to the teeth of a swift boot to the stones, would rather have neither tbh

Or a Stubbs and a Mowbray.

cabbageandribs1875
07-02-2019, 01:42 PM
i can't seem to find the 'neither' or 'Neil Lennon' options

:greengrin

BlackSheep
07-02-2019, 01:42 PM
For those saying neither.... what are your suggestions?

This place is toxic right now, the negativity of some 'fans' is actually sickening!

I hope one of these two get the joba nd turn things around, then i will wait to see a lot of grovelling folk singing "only 1 appleton/heckingbottom"!!!

mutley
07-02-2019, 01:43 PM
or how about a "haven't a clue" option

HoboHarry
07-02-2019, 01:46 PM

This place is toxic right now, the negativity of some 'fans' is actually sickening!

I hope one of these two get the joba nd turn things around, then i will wait to see a lot of grovelling folk singing "only 1 appleton/heckingbottom"!!!
No negativity from me - I'm simply pointing out that just because the media are putting these two forward doesn't mean it will be......

Heisenberg
07-02-2019, 01:47 PM
Appleton just shades it for me. Both could be promising appointments and a return to the model we worked with under Stubbs.

One Day Soon
07-02-2019, 01:48 PM
Not sure the club has thought this through. How the ****** are we supposed to work Heckingbottom into a chant or song? Appleton isn't much of a scanner either.

:hmmm:

HibeeHibernian4
07-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Not sure the club has thought this through. How the ****** are we supposed to work Heckingbottom into a chant or song? Appleton isn't much of a scanner either.

Heckingbottom's Green and White Army scans well, Appleton less so. On that basis, let's go for Heckingbottom. :aok:

The Harp
07-02-2019, 01:53 PM
Don't mean to sound negative but imo the calibre of the man who has left the job is immensely superior to either of those two.
With a reported 100 or so applicants for the post I would've expected a high calibre short list - apparently not.

Dalianwanda
07-02-2019, 01:54 PM
No negativity from me - I'm simply pointing out that just because the media are putting these two forward doesn't mean it will be......

So why put anything? There were two choices it asked which you would prefer.

I don’t know much about either (and was dead against Appleton) but reading interviews and looking at recent clubs I now favour Appleton. Held in high regard from what I’ve read and think his approach will suit us.

Carheenlea

“Hecking - bottom’s - Green and White Amy” works reasonably well.

For hounding out purposes “Appleton Must Go” fits better than Heckingbottom.

HoboHarry
Don't mean to sound negative but imo the calibre of the man who has left the job is immensely superior to either of those two.
With a reported 100 or so applicants for the post I would've expected a high calibre short list - apparently not.
And would you expect LD to share that short list with the media?

hibbie02
07-02-2019, 01:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks "There's only one Hecking Bottom!" sounds a bit dubious?

Dalianwanda
07-02-2019, 01:57 PM

Lennon’s gone and he’s been pretty poor over the past few months. What’s your idea of a high caliber? Strachan the highest profile and he doesn’t seem interested. Out of the applicants we don’t know who’s applied so can’t really judge.

The Harp Awakes
07-02-2019, 01:59 PM

It sounds like Strachan could be an option from what he has said, and Steve Clarke is the obvious target, albeit the chances of getting him may be remote. Tommy Craig and Stephen Robinson have done well with smaller Clubs.

I really don't see what Heckingbottom and Appleton have on their CV to merit being frontrunners. We need an appointment to unite the fans, many who feel we have just lost an outstanding Manager in unknown circumstances. I would love to be proven wrong but I don't see either of these 2 candidates doing it; at best, either would be a very risky appointment at a time we need strong leadership.

The Leith Dutch
07-02-2019, 02:01 PM

Don't disagree that there is an element of the toxic negativity on here right now but the neither response is actually ok.

Appointment of a manager is different from signing a player in that you sign many players and a signing that doesn't work out can always be dropped to the bench.
Signing a manager is something which I think it's far more natural to say "not for me" when discussing it.
As long as they get behind the new manager when he's in.

I also don't see an issue with being won over by how they actually do - many were unimpressed by NL but won round by some good performances and results.

The Harp
07-02-2019, 02:02 PM
I'm sure we'll hear in due course, just concerned it seems to be between Heckingbottom and Appleton.

Ronniekirk
07-02-2019, 02:03 PM
Not over the Moon about either Time will tell if this is accurate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bingo70
07-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Appleton for me.

I listened to both their podcasts and think they both came across well but Appleton’s reputation as being a great coach that the players will really like shades it. Imo I think after Lennon we need to go for someone that the players will enjoy working with and I think that’ll be the case with him.

On a side note disappointing to see so many smart arse replies on this thread, it’s a pretty clear poll, out of the two, who would you prefer? If the answer is neither, or another choice there’s plenty other threads for that.

Interesting to see how many people are writing them off based on their Wikipedia page rather than looking into the actual history of what happened at each club.

bingo70
07-02-2019, 02:08 PM
It sounds like Strachan could be an option from what he has said, and Steve Clarke is the obvious target, albeit the chances of getting him may be remote. Tommy Craig and Stephen Robinson have done well with smaller Clubs.

I really don't see what Heckingbottom and Appleton have on their CV to merit being frontrunners. We need an appointment to unite the fans, many who feel we have just lost an outstanding Manager in unknown circumstances. I would love to be proven wrong but I don't see either of these 2 candidates doing it; at best, either would be a very risky appointment at a time we need strong leadership.

Wins will unite the fans, appointing a popular manager that everyone has heard of would be lazy and once the novelty had worn off we’d be back to square one pretty quickly.

Diclonius
07-02-2019, 02:10 PM
Appleton for me.

I listened to both their podcasts and think they both came across well but Appleton’s reputation as being a great coach that the players will really like shades it. Imo I think after Lennon we need to go for someone that the players will enjoy working with and I think that’ll be the case with him.

On a side note disappointing to see so many smart arse replies on this thread, it’s a pretty clear poll, out of the two, who would you prefer? If the answer is neither, or another choice there’s plenty other threads for that.

Interesting to see how many people are writing them off based on their Wikipedia page rather than looking into the actual history of what happened at each club.

Apparently we want a manager with "ambition", which in this case seems to mean "always moaning about not having enough money, threatening to resign all the time and shouting at the players after every game". Sign me up!

oldbutdim
07-02-2019, 02:11 PM
Heads.

No no no...........

I meant Tails.

Tails.
:agree:

houstonhibbee
07-02-2019, 03:05 PM
Maybe add a neither option

Agreed

AL-Qaholik
07-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Neither

happiehibbie
07-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Personally I would have liked Micheal O Neil

IberianHibernian
07-02-2019, 03:16 PM
Neither . Rather keep Murray/May till end of season or get someone in till summer then get someone then .

bingo70
07-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Personally I would have liked Micheal O Neil

Guardiola would be my preference.

My_Wife_Camille
07-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Both for me :agree:

The 90+2
07-02-2019, 03:22 PM
I've no idea why because my head says Appleton is the better coach but something sways me for PH being the correct fit for the club.

CMurdoch
07-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Heckingbottom's Green and White Army scans well, Appleton less so. On that basis, let's go for Heckingbottom. :aok:

******' Arse Green & White Army

CMurdoch
07-02-2019, 03:36 PM
Neither . Rather keep Murray/May till end of season or get someone in till summer then get someone then .

That gies me the fear!

HoboHarry
07-02-2019, 03:38 PM
Guardiola would be my preference.
Naw, nae slapper nappers at Hibs thank you very much. Jurgen Klopp and some enthusiasm for me :greengrin

Betty Boop
07-02-2019, 03:40 PM
None of them

Salisbury Hibby
07-02-2019, 04:03 PM
Neither . Rather keep Murray/May till end of season or get someone in till summer then get someone then .I'd rather not keep them on...

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

The 90+2
07-02-2019, 04:08 PM
None of them

Any better options in mind?

Golden Bear
07-02-2019, 04:14 PM
Haven't a clue. I'd heard of neither until the last few days so I'll need to rely on the Hibs Net gurus to provide an in depth analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of each of the candidates.

Betty Boop
07-02-2019, 04:20 PM
Any better options in mind?

Graham Murty.

Heisenberg
07-02-2019, 04:21 PM
Graham Murty.

Are you kidding? He’s even more unproven than Heckingbottom and Appleton. At least those two have achieved something.

green day
07-02-2019, 04:40 PM
I have a vision of Appleton lifting Levein up by the throat - lots of smoke, pyro, kinda Terminator scene.

Too much?

GibbytheHibby2
07-02-2019, 04:41 PM
Tommy Craig and Stephen Robinson have done well with smaller Clubs..

I don't want that scheister Tommy Craig anywhere near our club. He failed Collins as his assistant, and should have done more to advise and protect JC. He also stabbed Danny Lennon in the back at St. Mirren before destroying them as a team.

He's supposedly a good youth coach, but nowhere near a decent first team one.

Leitherhibs
07-02-2019, 04:42 PM
I don’t think it’ll be either. I remember the day Cokin calderwood walked into that press conference, 15 mins before nobody had an idea it’d be him. Then the rest as they was history..

Inconsequential
07-02-2019, 04:45 PM
Neither of the two seem inspiring choices but then Stubbs and Mowbray didn't really inspire when they were appointed either. Possibly Appleton at a push or as an alternative what about a combination of the two? Hec Applebottom?

Dr_Regal
07-02-2019, 05:42 PM
Staunch Heckingbottom supporter.

I remember Appletons time at Rovers and he was clueless.

Here’s Lucy!
07-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Strachan or Clarke.

Mowbray or Stubbsie.

Now, doesn't that sound much more appealing?

Heisenberg
07-02-2019, 05:58 PM
Strachan or Clarke.

Mowbray or Stubbsie.

Now, doesn't that sound much more appealing?

We’d have no chance with 3 of those.

SteveHFC
07-02-2019, 05:59 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZpGsq4CFE

Heckingbottom's Barnsley v Appleton's Oxford from a few years ago.

Hi Heid Yin
07-02-2019, 06:00 PM
Neither has the history that jumps out and suggests they will be a "success".

They have, like most managers/coaches, experienced highs and lows.

It's a lottery and a gamble.

Leeann Dempster is a savvy woman.

She got it right in selecting Stubbsy and Lenny, so I for one am happy to give her the benefit of the doubt whoever she settles on.

CapitalGreen
07-02-2019, 06:09 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTZpGsq4CFE

Heckingbottom's Barnsley v Appleton's Oxford from a few years ago.

Had a quick skip through the first 10 mins of that. Oxford’s highlights mostly consisted of long punts upfield while Barnsley’s came from long throws into the box. Not much quality on show from either team tbh.

makaveli1875
07-02-2019, 06:09 PM
Dont know alot about either of them . Voted Heckingbottom for the name alone

H18S NX
07-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Don't particularly want the both of them,where's the Stubbs poll button?

heretoday
07-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Had a quick skip through the first 10 mins of that. Oxford’s highlights mostly consisted of long punts upfield while Barnsley’s came from long throws into the box. Not much quality on show from either team tbh.

To hell with quality. We can't afford real quality.

Let's have some Route One for a change and punt it up for the big man who lays it off for Dobbie to run in and score.

Sioux
07-02-2019, 07:08 PM
Haven't a clue. I'd heard of neither until the last few days so I'll need to rely on the Hibs Net gurus to provide an in depth analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of each of the candidates.

Lets hear your in depth analysis as to why they are unsuitable.

SChibs
07-02-2019, 10:21 PM
Heard a rumour Appleton will be announced in the next 2 days

LaMotta
07-02-2019, 10:30 PM
I don't want that scheister Tommy Craig anywhere near our club. He failed Collins as his assistant, and should have done more to advise and protect JC. He also stabbed Danny Lennon in the back at St. Mirren before destroying them as a team.

He's supposedly a good youth coach, but nowhere near a decent first team one.

Think he meant Tommy Wright:greengrin

JeMeSouviens
07-02-2019, 10:33 PM

What the Heckingbottom’s that?

darwenhibby
07-02-2019, 11:18 PM
Mate of mine played at Man Utd at the same time as both
He thinks Appleton should shade it but both good coaches and attitude good.
Big job and challenging for either if they get it

Partyraiser
07-02-2019, 11:27 PM
I don’t think it’ll be either. I remember the day Cokin calderwood walked into that press conference, 15 mins before nobody had an idea it’d be him. Then the rest as they was history..

Did the same thing not happen with Mowbray? Came totally out of left field

Iain G
07-02-2019, 11:36 PM
I am going for Applebottom.

PompeyHibs
08-02-2019, 12:39 AM
Seen Appleton at pompey and a good manager but no funds if i remember right it was league one then league two

Downside he leftBlackpool pretty quick then sacked by Blackburn all in the same season

Does he know Scottish fitbaw?

Real Emerald
08-02-2019, 12:47 AM
Did the same thing not happen with Mowbray? Came totally out of left field

It did but both Mowbray and Stubbs had first hand knowledge of Scottish football.

The Baldmans Comb
08-02-2019, 03:59 PM
We can't possibly be going for either of these two failures. It must be a smokescreen surely.

Dempster will no doubt sell it as one of the "best young managers" in Europe guff.

Phil MaGlass
09-02-2019, 09:28 AM

No way, May doesnt want the job and if the game v sellik is anything to go by he should have been replaced already.

theonlywayisup
12-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Sounds as if the 70% will be disappointed.

hibsbollah
12-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Applebottom for me.

green with envy
12-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Looks like it's between these two - who would be your pick?

I wish you would make yer mind up - You told me this morning that it was Appleton.

Wembley67
12-02-2019, 06:33 PM
Doesn't matter, whoever it is and once they don't do that great we will want the other.

greenpaper55
12-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Applebottom for me.

Brilliant

Swedish hibee
12-02-2019, 06:39 PM
Doesn't matter who it is- we'll support whoever.

Wilson
12-02-2019, 06:42 PM

But Williamson or Calderwood wouldn't be too clever.

Onion
12-02-2019, 06:52 PM
If Appleton had a lot to do to prove his worth to Hibs fans, God help the 2nd choice.

hibsbollah
12-02-2019, 06:53 PM

This is what's known as hope over expectation.

Lago
12-02-2019, 07:06 PM
This is what's known as hope over expectation.
A lot of us have now lost the will to live over this ongoing saga.

hibsbollah
12-02-2019, 07:09 PM
A lot of us have now lost the will to live over this ongoing saga.

Yep. How dyou like dem Apples.