PDA

View Full Version : The New Manager

CMurdoch
07-02-2019, 12:14 AM
A new manager who is not Scottish will be clinical and this summer will move on players he doesn't want to make room for those he needs.
There will be no sentiment and i suspect all the players whose contracts are up in the summer will be moved on at the end of the season.
That means fans favourites Gray, McGregor, Bartley as well as Nelom will be culled.
The 6 loanees will leave.

That will leave us with 16 players this summer if contracted players can't be moved on.
2 Goalkeepers - Marciano, Dubrowski
5 Defenders - Whittaker, Stevenson, Mackie, Porteous, Hanlon
7 Midfielders - Milligan, Allan, Slivka, Mallan, Horgan, F. Murray, Boyle
2 Strikers - Kamberi, Shaw

The new manager will then bring in 6-8 players of his choice in the summer.

Thoughts?

The Leith Dutch
07-02-2019, 12:18 AM
A new manager who is not Scottish will be clinical and this summer will move on players he doesn't want to make room for those he needs.
There will be no sentiment and i suspect all the players whose contracts are up in the summer will be moved on at the end of the season.
That means fans favourites Gray, McGregor, Bartley as well as Nelom will be culled.

That will leave us with 16 players this summer if contracted players can't be moved on.
Goalkeepers - Marciano & Dubrowski
Defenders - Whittaker, Stevenson, Mackie, Porteous, Hanlon
Midfield - Milligan, Allan, Slivka, Mallan, Horgan, F. Murray, Boyle
Strikers - Kamberi, Shaw

Thoughts?

I think you might not be far off the mark.

Gray may well be offered another contract depending on the view of his injury record.
For me we've looked much better with him in the team.

I suspect some of the contracted players may also move on.

Inconsequential
07-02-2019, 12:23 AM
I think Whittaker and Milligan would be released from their contracts as they are not the future. Hopefully sign Bogdan. My thoughts only of course. :agree:

HoboHarry
07-02-2019, 12:25 AM
I think Whittaker and Milligan would be released from their contracts as they are not the future. Hopefully sign Bogdan. My thoughts only of course. :agree:
We can't just release them - we would have to come to a pay off agreement if they are still under contract......

Inconsequential
07-02-2019, 12:33 AM
We can't just release them - we would have to come to a pay off agreement if they are still under contract...... Yes I do understand that. Many contracts are mutually terminated! :agree:

CMurdoch
07-02-2019, 02:10 AM
I think you might not be far off the mark.

Gray may well be offered another contract depending on the view of his injury record.
For me we've looked much better with him in the team.

I suspect some of the contracted players may also move on.

I agree Gray made us better before he was needlessly injured against Hamilton but the new guy will probably just see him as a guy who is easy to move on at the end of his contract to make way for a new player picked by him. The good thing about a new manager coming in now is that it gives the out of contract players time to impress him before their contracts end.

CMurdoch
07-02-2019, 02:28 AM

I hope Milligan stays for the last season of his contract rather than being given a lot of cash to go away. One of the few in the squad that can pass under pressure.
Whittaker will be 35 in June and It would be best if he stopped playing at the end of the season.
Bogdan is a great all round keeper at our level and i think he could get way more money elsewhere. It would be a hell of a drop from Liverpool money to Hibs money. Having said that he might be happy to be playing at Hibs and on a long contract.

Scotty Leither
07-02-2019, 05:29 AM
We can't just release them - we would have to come to a pay off agreement if they are still under contract......

We could sell them?

we are hibs
07-02-2019, 06:04 AM
I hope Milligan stays for the last season of his contract rather than being given a lot of cash to go away. One of the few in the squad that can pass under pressure.
Whittaker will be 35 in June and It would be best if he stopped playing at the end of the season.
Bogdan is a great all round keeper at our level and i think he could get way more money elsewhere. It would be a hell of a drop from Liverpool money to Hibs money. Having said that he might be happy to be playing at Hibs and on a long contract.

I'm pretty sure I read there is a clause in Milligan contract where the deal can be cancelled after a year if it didn't work out.

Beefster
07-02-2019, 07:28 AM

Given Bogdan is on Liverpool first team wages, I’d say were highly unlikely to get him on a permanent deal.

Inconsequential
07-02-2019, 05:27 PM
I'm pretty sure I read there is a clause in Milligan contract where the deal can be cancelled after a year if it didn't work out. Yes I believe that is the contract situation with Milligan although I am not privy to player's contracts at Easter Rd. :agree:

The 90+2
07-02-2019, 05:34 PM
Yes I believe that is the contract situation with Milligan although I am not privy to player's contracts at Easter Rd. :agree:

Play him in the Oumar Kondé role and he will be decent.

judas
07-02-2019, 05:35 PM

2 Goalkeepers - Marciano, Dubrowski
5 Defenders - Whittaker, Stevenson, Mackie, Porteous, Hanlon
7 Midfielders - Milligan, Allan, Slivka, Mallan, Horgan, F. Murray, Boyle
2 Strikers - Kamberi, Shaw

Thoughts?

Based on my long experience of supporting Hibs, I often liken our phases to the business cycle.

I think that we are in the early stages of recession and it’s got a bit to go before it bottoms out (and that could be dangerously close to the relegation zone at some point over the next 2 years)

The only thing that might work is a stimulus package and a good one at that.

CMurdoch
08-02-2019, 12:45 PM
Based on my long experience of supporting Hibs, I often liken our phases to the business cycle.

I think that we are in the early stages of recession and it’s got a bit to go before it bottoms out (and that could be dangerously close to the relegation zone at some point over the next 2 years)

The only thing that might work is a stimulus package and a good one at that.

We are going nowhere near relegation.
We are financially stable and the new manger will add a handful of players to the squad in the summer to rebalance the team.
Financial stability is the key factor. Our stadium won't need major work for many a year so no major pressures on the club.
Accordingly if at any time in the medium term we are near the relegation zone we can buy our way out of it.

04Sauzee
08-02-2019, 12:47 PM
We are going nowhere near relegation.
We are financially stable and the new manger will add a handful of players to the squad in the summer to rebalance the team.
Financial stability is the key factor. Our stadium won't need major work for many a year so no major pressures on the club.
Accordingly if at any time in the medium term we are near the relegation zone we can buy our way out of it.

Can you buy your way out of relegation trouble in March/April ?

southsider
08-02-2019, 01:02 PM

Can’t buy anyone but can sign players who are out of contract until a cut off date (not sure of the date tho ).

04Sauzee
08-02-2019, 01:06 PM
Can’t buy anyone but can sign players who are out of contract until a cut off date (not sure of the date tho ).

Understand that although i didn't realise there was a cut off date. Obviously the longer after January it gets the more of a gamble thse players would be

CMurdoch
08-02-2019, 01:18 PM

Judas posted that he thought we could come close to relegation in the next 2 seasons and i was answering him.
When i spoke about buying our way out of relegation i wasn't speaking about this season as there is no chance of us being near the relegation places. I meant in the future, and i meant in the January transfer window rather than March or April.

04Sauzee
08-02-2019, 02:29 PM
Judas posted that he thought we could come close to relegation in the next 2 seasons and i was answering him.
When i spoke about buying our way out of relegation i wasn't speaking about this season as there is no chance of us being near the relegation places. I meant in the future, and i meant in the January transfer window rather than March or April.

Should have read the full thing in context, apologies

judas
08-02-2019, 06:40 PM

Buying our way out of trouble is one of several potential stimulus packages to which I allude. But as in economics, such stimuli are often misdirected and fail to have the desired effect.

Let’s hope that like the economists who failed to predict the financial crisis, I am equally hapless.

SquashedFrogg
08-02-2019, 06:48 PM

Like a 'best before' date?

Springbank
08-02-2019, 06:48 PM
i'd say every few years a chance comes along for a mercurial but big club like Hibs to achieve the unimaginable.
in 2006 the board blew it (selling o'connor before the cup semi & failing to tie down riordan)
in 2016 stubbs nailed it
in 2018 lennon fxxxed it at tynecastle AND when 3-0 up v rangers. then again in the transfer market.

Hibbyradge
08-02-2019, 06:53 PM
i'd say every few years a chance comes along for a mercurial but big club like Hibs to achieve the unimaginable.
in 2006 the board blew it (selling o'connor before the cup semi & failing to tie down riordan)
in 2016 stubbs nailed it
in 2018 lennon fxxxed it at tynecastle AND when 3-0 up v rangers. then again in the transfer market.

I'm not going to get onboard the Lennon bashing bandwagon, but the 5-5 aeroplane shouldn't have happened.

3-0 up, we should have gone on to win, and we could have, if the team had been changed accordingly.

It's funny that we celebrate a last minute draw when we should have been, and were, out of sight.

SquashedFrogg
08-02-2019, 07:00 PM
I'm not going to get onboard the Lennon bashing bandwagon, but the 5-5 aeroplane shouldn't have happened.

3-0 up, we should have gone on to win, and we could have, if the team had been changed accordingly.

It's funny that we celebrate a last minute draw when we should have been, and were, out of sight.

Yeh but let's put the game in context. We were 3-0 up (and nearly 4-0) because we went for it. This meant leaving huge caps at the back.

Only way we could finish higher was to beat them by 6. Tall order, impossible. But we went for it.

Last game of the season. Litterally nothing to lose.

I'd rather have watched that than a turgid 1-1

Great game that I'll never forget.

10 goals. Good fun.

The 90+2
08-02-2019, 07:16 PM
We and Lennon celebrated 5-5 purely because everyone thought it was stopping the huns finishing second. It was a get it up you to them with many not knowing Celtic lay down at Parkhead to the sheep anyway.

That was fittingly the last time you seen Lennon passionate as Hibs coach. After that he lost his mojo. And....it’s because it was against Rangers and not because it was a good result for us or helped us in any way shape or form.

Northernhibee
08-02-2019, 07:45 PM
We and Lennon celebrated 5-5 purely because everyone thought it was stopping the huns finishing second. It was a get it up you to them with many not knowing Celtic lay down at Parkhead to the sheep anyway.

That was fittingly the last time you seen Lennon passionate as Hibs coach. After that he lost his mojo. And....it’s because it was against Rangers and not because it was a good result for us or helped us in any way shape or form.

You'll get a lot of stick for that but it's not a million miles off the truth. But the last time I remember seeing him passionate was him sarcastically cheering the Hearts fans after a disallowed goal.

After all the horrific stick and a lot worse he's gotten over the years I don't blame him from getting an almighty sense of schadenfreude from these sorts of things but I'm looking forward to having a focused, motivated manager who is 100% looking at the big picture of what's on the pitch.

SideBurns
08-02-2019, 08:11 PM

You're correct of course, but we were just going for it and it probably summed up the 'all for goals and glory' approach which made Easter Road such an entertaining place to watch fitba last season.

We shouldn't have been scoring a last minute equaliser, but it was great ramming it to them when they had been celebrating at 5-3 up. For neutrals watching it on tv it must've been brilliant to watch.