PDA

View Full Version : Did club give Lennon too much power?

madhatter
06-02-2019, 10:20 PM
I’m struggling to understand how much the club has changed in the last 2 years especially.

- Leeann used to be a happy influential figure but seems to be more like Petrie now.
- We recruited young hungry footballers trying to make it in the game but now look to sign players based on profile (name or international pedigree). Most of which are on loan or short term contracts.
- We have an ageing squad, especially in the core with no obvious replacements.
- We have signed loads of CMs but currently have no fit wide players.
- All signings we’ve made, barring possibly Milligan and Darnell Johnson, are small players who regularly get pushed about - Mallan, Horgan.
- We seemed to have signed players for the sake of signing players rather than recruiting for areas we need.

All of the above, and more, are almost directly opposite of what we were doing when we got relegated. We signed Gray, McGeouch, McGinn, Boyle etc. when we were relegated, 3 of which were young hungry players. We needed to replace a midfield with some bite and good work rate, we’ve decided to build a midfield with poor work rate, no bite and no creativity.

Is Lennon the only difference in the past 2 years or has the club changed philosophies when it comes to signings?

Captain Trips
06-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Quite frankly I am sick now of Neil Lennon tbh. I really thought we were at the point where we have been told to show patience. Writing off European chances at this point is a disgrace.

madhatter
06-02-2019, 10:25 PM
Dunno.

But at least it's another attack from a slightly different angle.

Attack on who? I’m asking why we’ve changed so much in the last 2 years.

Captain Trips
06-02-2019, 10:25 PM
Dunno.

But at least it's another attack from a slightly different angle.

It's face on. Shocking state of affairs to be in at this juncture.

Hulk1875
06-02-2019, 10:30 PM
Expectations have changed we nearly finished 2nd last season great players have left. I know we couldn’t replace with players as good as them but our team is just totally wrong and not what we were
About

Hulk1875
06-02-2019, 10:31 PM
But you could argue first bit of the season we played great picked up a lot of points beat Hamilton 6-0 then something changed what was it ????

The Modfather
06-02-2019, 10:32 PM
I’m struggling to understand how much the club has changed in the last 2 years especially.

- Leeann used to be a happy influential figure but seems to be more like Petrie now.
- We recruited young hungry footballers trying to make it in the game but now look to sign players based on profile (name or international pedigree). Most of which are on loan or short term contracts.
- All signings we’ve made, barring possibly Milligan and Darnell Johnson, are small players who regularly get pushed about - Mallan, Horgan.
- We seemed to have signed players for the sake of signing players rather than recruiting for areas we need.

All of the above, and more, are almost directly opposite of what we were doing when we got relegated. We signed Gray, McGeouch, McGinn, Boyle etc. when we were relegated, 3 of which were young hungry players. We needed to replace a midfield with some bite and good work rate, we’ve decided to build a midfield with poor work rate, no bite and no creativity.

Is Lennon the only difference in the past 2 years or has the club changed philosophies when it comes to signings?

Always felt Lennon looked at the short term and thought about the here and now, which isn’t necessarily a criticisim. However when you sign players for the here and now and less so to develop them, when the signings don’t work out we’re not left with much to work with.

We all enjoyed the here and now like last season, but the squad Lennon has left the new manager with is awful. The rebuild job for the new manager is not far off what Stubbs had to do IMO.

Hibbyradge
06-02-2019, 10:33 PM
But you could argue first bit of the season we played great picked up a lot of points beat Hamilton 6-0 then something changed what was it ????

Injuries.

Northernhibee
06-02-2019, 10:33 PM
Lennon was never a good fit for Hibs and the longer the partnership went on the wider apart the vision of the two parties. Even when the product on the pitch was good we got threats to leave because the squad depth and profile required was never within the realms of affordability for us, nor is patience to bring youngsters through to first team quality on the table for Lennon - hence the Kamberi fall out.

I’ve taken a load of abuse and remarks for it but at a club with money to spend both parties can be happy - with success on the pitch, depth in the squad and instant gratification a manager like Lennon is a great fit but as I’ve said all along it’s not the appointment we should have made because it was always ending like this.

pacoluna
06-02-2019, 10:34 PM

Perhaps the honeymoon period for LD is over.

matty_f
Injuries.

Got it in one.

madhatter

Maybe Hamilton were just rotten in that game and most teams (like Aberdeen) took a while to get started?

As soon as all teams got up to speed we’ve been progressively going backwards.

CMac1988
06-02-2019, 10:38 PM
Attack on who? I’m asking why we’ve changed so much in the last 2 years.

We're not allowed to discuss the club on a forum which sole purpose is for discussing the club...

I found it interesting that a member here posted last week that Dempster herself indicated she had taken her foot off the gas somewhat (paraphrasing). That to me suggests she'd perhaps let Lennon influence more of the club that she would've liked but was initially happy to do so when the going was good. When results started going bad and Lennon's general demeanor changed it no doubt made it difficult to get involved. Something definitely changed and I hope when the new Manager's in we revert to the same ideology that built the structure responsible for our success up until this season.

madhatter
06-02-2019, 10:39 PM
Injuries.

Injuries do have a part to play but it can be argued we got so many injury issues because of the age of our squad. Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Milligan aren’t youngsters. Whittaker is our fill in for Gray, a guy who is older...

Start of the season falls under “other teams were getting up to speed while we had competitive European matches to get us match fit” territory for me. As soon as all teams were up-and-running we started slipping down the league.

Hulk1875
06-02-2019, 10:44 PM
Maybe Hamilton were just rotten in that game and most teams (like Aberdeen) took a while to get started?

As soon as all teams got up to speed we’ve been progressively going backwards.

Tbh I felt like were Brilliant first bit of the season but looking back we done better Europe than anything that got our hopes up. We beat Motherwell 3-0 with McGinn in the team then drew away to st Johnstone away a game I went too
And we weren’t great. Just beat Ross county in cup then late draw v aberdeen beat of Livi snuck a 3-2 win v Killie then got good aways v Dundee and st mirren and then Hamilton but the change is from parkhead 4-2 and players were called rejects is that a coincidence

Hulk1875
06-02-2019, 10:45 PM
Got it in one.

Yeah injuries we’ve been riddled with them

Captain Trips
06-02-2019, 10:46 PM

If you can judge him on that then surely now is far more relevant?

My_Wife_Camille
06-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Did we play great or did we just pick up wins against the only teams who have been unfortunate enough to be worse than we have this season?

When we first went on our poor run there was a lot was made about the fact that we were ‘unlucky’ to get a difficult run of fixtures (Celtic, St Johnstone, Hearts, Aberdeen) back to back but nobody seemed to suggest that maybe we were ‘lucky’ to get an easier run of fixtures before that (St Miir. Mirren, Dundee, Hamilton).

madhatter
06-02-2019, 10:48 PM
Tbh I felt like were Brilliant first bit of the season but looking back we done better Europe than anything that got our hopes up. We beat Motherwell 3-0 with McGinn in the team then drew away to st Johnstone away a game I went too
And we weren’t great. Just beat Ross county in cup then late draw v aberdeen beat of Livi snuck a 3-2 win v Killie then got good aways v Dundee and st mirren and then Hamilton but the change is from parkhead 4-2 and players were called rejects is that a coincidence

I don’t think we’ve been great since McGinn left. We’ve had the odd good result but nothing to write home about. Apart from Hamilton I cannot remember a win this season that’s been comfortable since McGinn left. I may have forgotten but that’s the lasting impression I’ve had.

Hulk1875
06-02-2019, 10:48 PM
Honestly guys looking back at how our season has went we’ve been poor.
Ams there’s me thinking we were ok for a bit but is that our success last season pulling cotton wool over our eyes

Captain Trips
06-02-2019, 10:51 PM
The club will move forward with a new manager and Lennon isn't part of this anymore.

Fergos
06-02-2019, 10:52 PM
Always felt Lennon looked at the short term and thought about the here and now, which isn’t necessarily a criticisim. However when you sign players for the here and now and less so to develop them, when the signings don’t work out we’re not left with much to work with.

We all enjoyed the here and now like last season, but the squad Lennon has left the new manager with is awful. The rebuild job for the new manager is not far off what Stubbs had to do IMO.

Very good point, Commons, Holt being examples, to be fair both contributed, but very short term. At the core of how he failed to put his mark on the team which eventually contributed to where we are now.

GGTTH

Northernhibee
06-02-2019, 10:52 PM
The “rejects and free transfers” comment was fascinating as it showed Lennon wanted players to be immediately first team ready in both ability and profile. David Gray was a free transfer, McGeough a shrewd bit of business in the Allan deal. Fyvie and Allan both rejects from clubs down south. Boyle a Dundee deject/free transfer. McGregor a free.

We need a manager who can work with “rejects and free transfers” and see the opportunity to make them brilliant, confident first team players, not decry them for it.

Mango Man
06-02-2019, 10:53 PM
Yup, so much promise at the start of the season, the home game against Tripolis was brilliant, really thought we were in for another decent season, but so many factors have contributed to the shambles this season has become, in particular, injuries, Mcginn leaving and Lennon not quite seeming happy in the job.

madhatter
06-02-2019, 10:55 PM
I'm now staying off any threads about Neil Lennon. The club will move forward with a new manager and Lennon isn't part of this anymore.

Fair enough, I realise it mentions Lennon but it’s really about the club changing it’s approach rather than blame to Lennon. My question was did the club say “We had success last season, maybe best going with the signings from Lennon’s agent friend” etc. Just trying to work out why we’ve changed so much.

Hulk1875
06-02-2019, 10:59 PM
The “rejects and free transfers” comment was fascinating as it showed Lennon wanted players to be immediately first team ready in both ability and profile. David Gray was a free transfer, McGeough a shrewd bit of business in the Allan deal. Fyvie and Allan both rejects from clubs down south. Boyle a Dundee deject/free transfer. McGregor a free.

We need a manager who can work with “rejects and free transfers” and see the opportunity to make them brilliant, confident first team players, not decry them for it.

👏🏻 Yes in an ideal world we could have an unlimited budget but we can’t work with what you’ve got and don’t throw toys out the pram if it ain’t going your way. I’m not for Lennon or the board you can see it two ways he wants too much or have the board ****ed us over with promises and we’ve backed with record season ticket sales and been let down

AgentDaleCooper
06-02-2019, 10:59 PM
I don’t think we’ve been great since McGinn left. We’ve had the odd good result but nothing to write home about. Apart from Hamilton I cannot remember a win this season that’s been comfortable since McGinn left. I may have forgotten but that’s the lasting impression I’ve had.

we still had a bit of belief and swagger about us up until hamilton and even the following game against celtic, then injuries took their toll, we went on a bad run, heads went down and lennon started loosing the plot.

CapitalGreen
06-02-2019, 11:03 PM
Any manager who can just decide to take a month off from doing media duties has too much control.

Hulk1875
06-02-2019, 11:04 PM
we still had a bit of belief and swagger about us up until hamilton and even the following game against celtic, then injuries took their toll, we went on a bad run, heads went down and lennon started loosing the plot.

👍🏻 I don’t think blames been on anyone there’s 4 things that’s happened at once and we haven’t been able
To recover from it

Real Emerald
06-02-2019, 11:05 PM
Don’t know about Lennon but the whole management team from CEO, recruitment etc. have failed drastically from a positive position we’ve not had in many years. It’s utter failure and really annoying that we’ve folded so dramatically. The club is at a position we need massive changes yet again when only tweaks should have been needed. We’ll struggle to get ST sales anywhere near what we have which will also hamper us. Mismanagement on a very big scale. We have a new appointment to get right and a few months to rectify the damage.

madhatter
06-02-2019, 11:08 PM

Injuries shouldn’t take their toll though. Nelom and Mavrias shouldn’t have been signed. We’ve got a ridiculous number of central midfielders but no balance and no backup in many positions. The fact Shaw is virtually a first team regular tells it’s own story.

Nelom and Mavrias signings stink. Stevenson was injured, we had an ex-Feyenoord LB on the bench and played Mackie or Whittaker at LB. Mavrias played 2 games I think. It’s strange that we are signing high profile players and not playing them. Are we giving them a place to train or something?

J-C
06-02-2019, 11:24 PM

Probably more to do with Lennon wanting more power tbh, we have various departments at the club that do a lot like recruitment, CEO and Craig who do all the negotiating, Lennon was a head coach but wanted to be a full manager. Lennon would have told the recruitment team what type of players he wanted, his signing policy has been somewhat bizarre and has left the squad severely imbalanced. His hounding of Flo as a scapegoat for his own failings was at times embarrassing.
Our philosophy was to buy hungry young players, develop our own and add a sprinkle of experience. Efe always looked like a favour for a mate to get his visa and right enough, Efe triggers a clause so he's released, we are now short in defence due to this. The cover players never to actually play is alo a strange situation, we had Mackie at the club who gve us cover t LB, yet signed Nelom to only appear maybe twice. Mavrias seemed to be signed for 4 months to give him facilities to get fit, even though we had Whittaker and Efe here already.

Hi Heid Yin
06-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Fair enough, I realise it mentions Lennon but it’s really about the club changing it’s approach rather than blame to Lennon. My question was did the club say “We had success last season, maybe best going with the signings from Lennon’s agent friend” etc. Just trying to work out why we’ve changed so much.

I personally think that our club hierarchy has taken its eyes off the ball, (pardon the pun) and either lost sight of/ or become a little complacent in where it wants to go.

Even Leeann Dempster ( a woman I greatly admire and respect) has been, if you like, more subdued, low profile and less dynamic this season.

Last season's high (finishing 4th and clinching European football on the back of one of the most exciting seasons ever witnessed at ER), allied with our record attendances, perhaps distracted attention from where it was most needed -

in continuing the "upward momentum" by replacing the undoubted quality we were losing.

The bottom line is that we did not replace quality "like for like"- which is understandable but frustrating at the same time.

The subsequent devastating "injuries" we suffered have impacted big time, but are not the sole reason for where we currently stand in February 2019 - managerless and 8th in the table.

I want to continue to "believe" in Leeann, indeed all our club leaders, vision for our club, as that vision has resulted in my experiencing some of the "happiest" moments ever as a Hibby,

but the club really needs to start " re-engaging" and "communicating more openly " with the supporters.

Rocky
06-02-2019, 11:51 PM
We're not allowed to discuss the club on a forum which sole purpose is for discussing the club...

I found it interesting that a member here posted last week that Dempster herself indicated she had taken her foot off the gas somewhat (paraphrasing). That to me suggests she'd perhaps let Lennon influence more of the club that she would've liked but was initially happy to do so when the going was good. When results started going bad and Lennon's general demeanor changed it no doubt made it difficult to get involved. Something definitely changed and I hope when the new Manager's in we revert to the same ideology that built the structure responsible for our success up until this season.

That's an interesting take and certainly makes some sense.

Real Emerald
06-02-2019, 11:51 PM
I personally think that our club heirarachy has taken its eyes off the ball, (pardon the pun) and either lost sight of/ or become a little complacent in where it wants to go.

Even Leeann Dempster ( a woman I greatly admire and respect) has been, if you like, more subdued, low profile and less dynamic this season.

Last season's high (finishing 4th and clinching European football on the back of one of the most exciting seasons ever witnessed at ER), allied with our record attendances, perhaps distracted attention from where it was most needed -

in continuing the "upward momentum" by replacing the undoubted quality we were losing.

The bottom line is that we did not replace quality "like for like"- which is understandable but frustrating at the same time.

The subsequent devastating "injuries" we suffered have impacted big time, but are not the sole reason for where we currently stand in February 2019 - managerless and 8th in the table.

I want to continue to "believe" in Leeann, indeed all our club leaders, vision for our club, as that vision has resulted in my experiencing some of the "happiest" moments ever as a Hibby,

but the club really needs to start " re-engaging" and "communicating more openly " with the supporters.

I agree with all of that so very well said. My worry is where the blame lies and the muck that’s been swept under the carpet. Until we know why Lennon went and why we have no idea where the blame lies. If Lennon was at fault for his antics, strange selections, bad tactics, rotten signings, tantrums etc. then great, he’s gone. But if he’s gone due to the board not backing him or allowing him to bring in more quality players etc., we have a problem because the board are still there. Unless we get some clarity we’re never going to have faith that our board are blameless.

J-C
07-02-2019, 12:08 AM
I agree with all of that so very well said. My worry is where the blame lies and the muck that’s been swept under the carpet. Until we know why Lennon went and why we have no idea where the blame lies. If Lennon was at fault for his antics, strange selections, bad tactics, rotten signings, tantrums etc. then great, he’s gone. But if he’s gone due to the board not backing him or allowing him to bring in more quality players etc., we have a problem because the board are still there. Unless we get some clarity we’re never going to have faith that our board are blameless.

I don't think you can blame the board, Lennon was experienced and maybe they felt it best to allow him more say in certain aspects of the club, possibly maybe too late they've realised he's cocked up with transfers and squad management and when Leeann stepped in he's lost the plot and an argument broke out which caused the suspension. It certainly looked like things hadn't been right at the club for a good 3-4 months.

The Leith Dutch
07-02-2019, 12:14 AM
Injuries.

Particularly Boyle for me.
The threat of his pace makes teams play in a very different way against us.

The Modfather
07-02-2019, 12:17 AM

I know the point your making, that if the bold is the case changing manager won’t address the route cause. However, I don’t think a I could make a strong case to say Lennon hasn’t been backed. He signed 33 players, we also paid fees for Kamberi, Horgan & Mallan in the summer and recruited high profile players in Bogdan & Milligan who won’t be on a cheap wage I’d imagine. I also find it hard to believe that someone we are constantly told is “a winner” and doesn’t accept second best etc would meekly accept players signed for him he didn’t want.

Lennon has left a massively bigger rebuild for the new manager than the rebuild he took over from Stubbs. I view Lennons signings overall as generally really poor, but he was good at further improving already good players like McGinn & Stevenson etc who he inherited.

Real Emerald
07-02-2019, 12:26 AM
I know the point your making, that if the bold is the case changing manager won’t address the route cause. However, I don’t think a I could make a strong case to say Lennon hasn’t been backed. He signed 33 players, we also paid fees for Kamberi, Horgan & Mallan in the summer and recruited high profile players in Bogdan & Milligan who won’t be on a cheap wage I’d imagine. I also find it hard to believe that someone we are constantly told is “a winner” and doesn’t accept second best etc would meekly accept players signed for him he didn’t want.

Lennon has left a massively bigger rebuild for the new manager than the rebuild he took over from Stubbs. I view Lennons signings overall as generally really poor, but he was good at further improving already good players like McGinn & Stevenson etc who he inherited.

I’m actually not blaming anyone as I simply don’t know, maybe Lennon eventually got frustrated with the board or the board weren’t happy with him. It is reasonably well known that it’s the recruitment team find the players so who knows. It’s a mess and the fans are left in the dark unfortunately.

The Leith Dutch
07-02-2019, 12:29 AM

Good post this.
Totally agree that given what we're likely to have paid in fees and wages Lennon has been backed by the board and you're spot on that if he hadn't been we'd have heard about it.
(I seem to recall he made noises at one time to push them for an extra signing but I might be misremembering).

The rebuild in the summer is certainly a big one as it stands right now.
I reckon the new manager is going to have to turn some of those players (at least two out of three of Kamberi, Mallan and Horgan) into players that are regular starters and delivering or I suspect their impact on the wage budget may limit his ability to bring in new faces.

Not In The Know
07-02-2019, 08:13 AM
Super John McGinn.

Just look at at the team with him in Greece and with out him in molde

never replaced (being fair impossible) but a new style was not implemented well enough.

Without him lennons team would never have been as good last year.

overdrive
07-02-2019, 08:22 AM
I think the European run didn’t help either. I think it tired the players out and possibly helped contribute to the injury crisis.

Lennon clearly didn’t fit into the Head Coach model / structure we put in place in 2014. I think he was substantially more involved in player recruitment than Stubbs was. There’s pros and cons of both ways of doing things but I find it a bit strange that LD appointed someone who didn’t fit their structure. Unless LD and the board decided needs must to try get us promoted.

ian cruise
07-02-2019, 08:24 AM
I personally think that our club hierarchy has taken its eyes off the ball, (pardon the pun) and either lost sight of/ or become a little complacent in where it wants to go.

Every time Leeann was engaging with fans she was getting abuse, some people just can't let themselves believe the board have the clubs best interests at heart, and when we've a manager calling them out publicly it begins a feeding frenzy. She's in a non win situation currently so I don't blame her for being quiet. She's got the last two managers appointment right in the eyes of most so she deserves a bit of faith that she'll pick the right man this time.

The way she's been treated over the last 6 months (possibly longer) I wouldn't blame her for going but I'd be sad if she did.

greenpaper55
07-02-2019, 08:37 AM
I think Lennon has been wanting away for a while now, was it not last year that he said he would have liked the Scotland job when it became vacant ?Not the sound of someone who was planning to hang around at ER. I always felt that Hibs were a stepping stone for his career and that he used us to that end until last week, we shall see how his career goes now he is open to offers.

Unseen work
07-02-2019, 09:06 AM
Some of the signings I think were to appease Lennon imo rather than our recruit team highlighting them as such.

I can see Lennon saying he wants International’s, experience in Europe etc etc. Next thing you know we sign

Bogdan
Milligan
Mavrias
Nelom

Also I think we should be able to put more of our youngsters out on loan to give them experience of playing weekly with a bit less pressure.

Shaw, Murray and Mackie all look like excellent prospects and I don’t doubt playing weekly at championship or lower level Prem would make them excell.

If you look at Aberdeen they allowed to of their best youngsters to go out on loan in January in Scott Wright in Bruce Anderson, despite them making a good amount of appearances in the league and playing well.

Its not a knock of the youngsters who have done really well for us, but it should be harder than it is for them to get in the first team at the moment.

J-C
07-02-2019, 09:35 AM
Some of the signings I think were to appease Lennon imo rather than our recruit team highlighting them as such.

I can see Lennon saying he wants International’s, experience in Europe etc etc. Next thing you know we sign

Bogdan
Milligan
Mavrias
Nelom

Also I think we should be able to put more of our youngsters out on loan to give them experience of playing weekly with a bit less pressure.

Shaw, Murray and Mackie all look like excellent prospects and I don’t doubt playing weekly at championship or lower level Prem would make them excell.

If you look at Aberdeen they allowed to of their best youngsters to go out on loan in January in Scott Wright in Bruce Anderson, despite them making a good amount of appearances in the league and playing well.

Its not a knock of the youngsters who have done really well for us, but it should be harder than it is for them to get in the first team at the moment.

I think putting them out on loan was the plan, I know Shaw was expected to go out to someone like Partick but with McLaren being so poor on his return and not being able to bring another striker in during the summer, we've had no option but to keep Shaw. Nelom was meant to be cover for Lewis but we've seen how that's turned out and Murray has been plagued with niggly injuries this season.

Our recruitment has been poor, who that is all down to I don't really know, there's been some speculation that Lennon had been given a lot more say in the day to day running of the club, with Leeann and Craig taking more of a back seat and have now realised their mistake and getting rid of Lennon was the 1st step to getting back to the blueprint set up when they arrived.

We're meant to be buying young hungry players to develop and eventually sell on, that's not been happening apart from Mallan and Kamberi, the rest have been quick fix loans or ageing/not very good back up.