PDA

View Full Version : Stats

CmoantheHibs
06-02-2019, 10:01 PM
I remember years ago watching some American sport and how reliant the commentators were on stats. Every angle had a stat for it. At that time we never really used stats too much in our game. Over the last 2 or 3 years though the use of stats has increased dramatically over here. I noticed the amount of comments on the new manager thread using stats without regard to the different circumstances. So what are people's views on the upsurge of stats in our game?

Hi Heid Yin
06-02-2019, 10:15 PM
I remember years ago watching some American sport and how reliant the commentators were on stats. Every angle had a stat for it. At that time we never really used stats too much in our game. Over the last 2 or 3 years though the use of stats has increased dramatically over here. I noticed the amount of comments on the new manager thread using stats without regard to the different circumstances. So what are people's views on the upsurge of stats in our game?

We have statisticians behind the scenes at Easter Road.

These guys analyse and compile stats for the head of recruitment.

This "new order" was implemented under Leeann Dempster and is seen as a "continuous" model, so that any new manager /coach arriving at ER will fit in seamlessly, with much of the donkey work done for him in terms of identifying players.

Underpinning this model is a financial structure with in-built limitations, including financial.

I would suggest that Neil Lennon was "frustrated" by the financial limitations of our club, as he did not get anywhere near the quality of player his ambition demanded, especially knowing he was losing McGinn, McGeouch and Allan and, further down the line - Efe Ambrose.

bawheid
06-02-2019, 10:18 PM

This "new order" was implemented under Leeann Dempster and is seen as a "continuous" model, so that any new manager /coach arriving at ER will fit in seamlessly, with much of the donkey work done for him in terms of identifying players.

Underpinning this model is a financial structure with in-built limitations, including financial.

I would suggest that Neil Lennon was "frustrated" by the financial limitations of our club, as he did not get anywhere near the quantity or quality of player his ambition demanded, especially knowing he was losing McGinn, McGeouch and Allan and, further down the line - Efe Ambrose.

Anyone managing Hibs has to realise that you’re not going to replace a John McGinn with a John McGinn. If you’re very lucky you might find a future John McGinn. More likely you’ll have to wait ten years.

Tricla
06-02-2019, 10:21 PM
Anyone managing Hibs has to realise that you’re not going to replace a John McGinn with a John McGinn. If you’re very lucky you might find a future John McGinn. More likely you’ll have to wait ten years.

Exactly.

weecounty hibby
06-02-2019, 10:29 PM

I would suggest that Neil Lennon was "frustrated" by the financial limitations of our club, as he did not get anywhere near the quality of player his ambition demanded, especially knowing he was losing McGinn, McGeouch and Allan and, further down the line - Efe Ambrose.
And once again from you. "I would suggest that Neil Lennon was frustrated....." Pure guesswork from you that just means that you are saying that all the ills of the club at the moment are down to everyone else except Neil. You are all over every thread with it. Even this one that was about statistics and nothing to do with Lennon, recruitment or even football specifically.

Hi Heid Yin
06-02-2019, 10:32 PM

Aberdeen seem to have done alright in getting players through the door to replace so-called "irreplaceable players" and in continuing to compete at the very top. So, it can be done, albeit I realise that their financial situation is unlike ours.

I would suggest that our "behind the scenes" team are good at coming up with impressive stats and profiles on players, but have to bear in mind our budget and thus focus on players who are "up and coming" with "potential" rather than "established".

Mallan, for example, falls into the "potential" category.

He was signed in "hope" more than "expectation".

It's really hit or miss with players with so-called "potential".

During his time, Stubbsy got some "great players" through the door, but he/our club also signed a few duds along the way.

bawheid
06-02-2019, 10:40 PM
Aberdeen seem to have done alright in getting players through the door to replace so-called "irreplaceable players" and in continuing to compete at the very top. So, it can be done, albeit I realise that their financial situation is unlike ours.

Who? When Aberdeen lose their entire midfield in one go and still end up third you might have a point. Hasn’t happened though.

CmoantheHibs
06-02-2019, 10:41 PM

So do you think stats are good or bad in regards to player recruitment?

Hi Heid Yin
06-02-2019, 10:46 PM
And once again from you. "I would suggest that Neil Lennon was frustrated....." Pure guesswork from you that just means that you are saying that all the ills of the club at the moment are down to everyone else except Neil. You are all over every thread with it. Even this one that was about statistics and nothing to do with Lennon, recruitment or even football specifically.

Neil Lennon is far from blameless in my eyes, just as the whole recruitment team behind the scenes and our hierarchy at ER are far from blameless in the part that they played in our club's short-fallings this season.

Every man and his dog knows of Neil lennon's "frustrations" without me repeating them ad nauseum.

For me he was flawed, driven, eccentric, a loose-cannon, a maverick, a football purist, impetuous, articulate, analytical, out-spoken, charismatic, a hard task-master, demanding, entertaining, enthusiastic, a joker and a mischevious school boy with his airplane dance,

an instigator, a leader, one of footballs characters.

I could say so much more but I think this is enough to paint a picture and to give you an insight into what this Hibby thought of our ex-manager.

Hi Heid Yin
06-02-2019, 10:57 PM
So do you think stats are good or bad in regards to player recruitment?

Stats are stats, and are open to interpretation and manipulation. They are "useful" as opposed to "good or bad".

Our club might be able to identify how many crosses a certain player "averages" during a game or over a season, or how many assists he also made for a particular club - with all the machinations and circumstances surrounding that club that year.

Did the player contribute significantly while his team struggled in the relegation zone?

This might tell us more (or less) than if he contributed next to nothing in a team that was "coasting comfortably near the top of a particular league"

Stats have their use and effectiveness depending on the agenda of the person interpreting them.

matty_f
06-02-2019, 11:16 PM
Stats are all well and good when you're recruiting players, but they count for nothing of the player is injured and unavailable.

Boyle, for example, has good stats for us but I'd out for the session.

I'm sure Porteous' stats would stack up against Hanlon or McGregor's this season but he's not available.

Stats aren't the problem this season, not having anything resembling a settled team and not having key players available is more of a factor.

CmoantheHibs
06-02-2019, 11:22 PM
Ha we are getting closer to the original question of whether stats are actually useful in football. They can be used in many ways depending on people's agendas but do people think they help.

Cameron1875
06-02-2019, 11:26 PM
Moneyball is a fantastic film regarding stats being used in Baseball. Not a sport that interests me but even the film got me hooked.

Anyway, I think there is a place for them but football has too many variables compared to sports like Baseball I think. For instance they don't have an Andrew Dallas ;)

Liverpool tried it under Dalglish where they signed Adam, Downing and Andy Carroll. Something to do with free kick accuracy, cross completion and headers won.
It didn't work out too well for them...

ballengeich
06-02-2019, 11:55 PM
Stats are useful when the person who's examining them understands which to use.

Hi Heid Yin
06-02-2019, 11:57 PM
Stats are all well and good when you're recruiting players, but they count for nothing of the player is injured and unavailable.

Boyle, for example, has good stats for us but I'd out for the session.

I'm sure Porteous' stats would stack up against Hanlon or McGregor's this season but he's not available.

Stats aren't the problem this season, not having anything resembling a settled team and not having key players available is more of a factor.

:agree::agree:

Viva_Palmeiras
07-02-2019, 03:39 AM
Stats are stats, and are open to interpretation and manipulation. They are "useful" as opposed to "good or bad".

Our club might be able to identify how many crosses a certain player "averages" during a game or over a season, or how many assists he also made for a particular club - with all the machinations and circumstances surrounding that club that year.

Did the player contribute significantly while his team struggled in the relegation zone?

This might tell us more (or less) than if he contributed next to nothing in a team that was "coasting comfortably near the top of a particular league"

Stats have their use and effectiveness depending on the agenda of the person interpreting them.

62.07% of stats Re made up.

HoboHarry
07-02-2019, 03:47 AM
Stats are pish. FACT.

Am I doing this right?

CmoantheHibs
07-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Stats are useful when the person who's examining them understands which to use.

So with regards to hiring a new head coach which stats are useful?

Aim Here
08-02-2019, 12:11 AM
So with regards to hiring a new head coach which stats are useful?

I'd imagine that the two main ones would be the win %, or league points compared to the immediate preceding and succeeding managers, and also the team's performance relative to the amount of money spent on player wages under the manager's tenure (i.e. if a team is the 5th highest-spending team in a league, then it should roughly end up a place either side of 5th in that league.)

The mean speed and accuracy of a medium-weight office chair bowled overarm from a standing start towards an attacking centre midfielder 8 metres away should also be taken into consideration.

Of course, there's a whole pile of factors other than statistics to consider (new managers won't have these stats, there may be extenuating circumstances outside of the manager's performance and the player wages affecting a team performance, etc etc).

PompeyHibs
08-02-2019, 12:37 AM
8 wins in 25 is shocking
Lets hope for a good cup run and beating the yams and the the the rangers
Sadly we are bottom six

No pace
No real quality imo

Hi Heid Yin
08-02-2019, 01:03 AM
Interestingly, in yesterdays Evening News I see that our Steve Mallan made the SPL team of the season based on his "stats".

The stats were not made available, which did not help.

For all his critics, he must then be doing something right.

sambajustice
08-02-2019, 01:55 AM
Interestingly, in yesterdays Evening News I see that our Steve Mallan made the SPL team of the season based on his "stats".

You can bend stats though to suit whatever argument you want to put across.

Example, Jorginho for Chelsea has done like 5 million passes this season with a ridiculous pass completion rate - HUZZAH!

Total Assists - 0! Boo!

jacomo
08-02-2019, 08:19 AM

True although we didn’t sign even a similar type of player last summer.

We have now though.

ian cruise
08-02-2019, 08:24 AM

I think saying Neil Lennon was frustrated at the club for signings is a fair assumption to make given some of his press conferences however that's not the clubs fault, it's his. I'm sure the way transfers were handled and the budget was all explain to him well in advance and he was fine with it when it was working and we got rid of Stokes and Murray for Maclaren and Kamberi, it was only when players didn't settle as well as he wanted that it seemed to become an issue.

ian cruise
08-02-2019, 08:28 AM

I would suggest that our "behind the scenes" team are good at coming up with impressive stats and profiles on players, but have to bear in mind our budget and thus focus on players who are "up and coming" with "potential" rather than "established".

During his time, Stubbsy got some "great players" through the door, but he/our club also signed a few duds along the way.

I think Mallan would have been signed with expectation rather than hope. There was an expectation he'd replicate the form that had him as one of the Scottish leagues most sought after players for a short while.

You're right though, all clubs sign some good and bad players, or good players where it just doesn't work out. The transfer market is an inexact science and there are so many outside factors that influence how a player performs for the team it's always going to be the case. Unfortunately unlike Celtic and clubs in England we don't have the resources to just dump our duds and replace them, we need to try find a way to make the signings work for us which isn't always a quick fix.

Stevie Reid
08-02-2019, 10:06 AM

He's scored 11 goals in 33 games, and is our top scorer this season.

Killiehibbie
08-02-2019, 11:10 AM
Goals scored v goals conceded in each game is the best stat of all, we might find the team that does best at this wins the league

houstonhibbee
08-02-2019, 11:19 AM
He's scored 11 goals in 33 games, and is our top scorer this season.
Reminds me a lot of ally McLeod who Had a slow and lazy style but still scored a lot of goals

Killiehibbie
08-02-2019, 12:11 PM

How did it work out for Cathro or was he just too far ahead for them?

superfurryhibby
08-02-2019, 01:13 PM
Reminds me a lot of ally McLeod who Had a slow and lazy style but still scored a lot of goals

Ally was a very gifted player, despite his lack of pace. Not sure that applies to Mallan though.

CmoantheHibs
08-02-2019, 01:19 PM
How did it work out for Cathro or was he just too far ahead for them?

Worked out absolutely fantastically as I seen it. The only fault I could see was his time was too short. Should have been given a little more time to implement his ideas. Say about 20 years or so.

Not In The Know
08-02-2019, 01:26 PM

aye they have a abetter manager...

Stevie Reid
08-02-2019, 01:30 PM

I think Mallan's shooting ability alone probably would have seen him play in the English top league 30 years ago - a place would have been found for him in the team that maximised his talents. Of course it's a very different game these days, so much more work needed from every player.

Be nice if he could get back to this sort of thing though - even starts with a tackle :greengrin

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zNnAS9ScSM

wookie70
08-02-2019, 01:33 PM
Ally was a very gifted player, despite his lack of pace. Not sure that applies to Mallan though.

There is enough to suggest that Mallan will be a decent signing if played higher up the pitch. Not sure how good Ally would have been when his starting position was about 5 yards from his own 18 yard box. McLeod like Mallan is far more effective the nearer he gets to our opponents box. It wouldn't take a statistician to tell you that you don't score many 30 yarders form 70 yards out.