PDA

View Full Version : What is the new managers first priority?

Northernhibee
06-02-2019, 08:45 PM
There are so many things needing put right- what does the new manager focus on first?

For me they need to get some balance. I have no idea why we have so many attack minded midfielders. As a result we have little dig in midfield to win or retain the ball under pressure.

gaz1875
06-02-2019, 08:48 PM
There are so many things needing put right- what does the new manager focus on first?

For me they need to get some balance. I have no idea why we have so many attack minded midfielders. As a result we have little dig in midfield to win or retain the ball under pressure.

Find a striker with a pass would be a great start.

Northernhibee
06-02-2019, 08:50 PM
Find a striker with a pass would be a great start.

We have midfielders with creativity, but we need others who can be physical to give them the time and space to not rush.

Scottie
06-02-2019, 08:51 PM
Sort the pies out in the east would be a great start :wink:

we are hibs
06-02-2019, 08:52 PM
To not take off our only creative threat

Pretty Boy
06-02-2019, 08:54 PM
We need to start moving on a few of the older bodies and putting succession plans in place.

20/20 hindsight is a gift everyone has but I said all summer that sentiment is for fans and we should have been looking to start planning to replace a few. The likes of McGregor has been a great servant to us but does he have anything to offer next season? Hard as it is to say we have to look at Gray as well. 31 at the start of next season and with a lengthy injury history; he's not going to be around forever. Milligan will be 34 at the start of next season, Whittaker 35 and Bartley is 34. Even Stevenson isn't able to overcome Father Time. That's a lot of bodies the wrong side of 30 and whilst a balance of experience and youth is great we have allowed the spine of the team to get old together.

It was a big rebuild that was required last summer and it was a job that wasn't reallt completed. I'd argue it's an even bigger job this year.

Fergos
06-02-2019, 08:54 PM
Everything

madhatter
06-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Steady the ship until the summer and then unfortunately clear out some of the players that aren't going to fit the plan.

It's the one bonus of the short term deals and the loans, we have the opportunity to rebuild. It's clear we need to build from scratch to an extent.

gaz1875
06-02-2019, 08:58 PM
We have midfielders with creativity, but we need others who can be physical to give them the time and space to not rush.

I dont think we hve any creativity in midfield that's the big problem. We can hardly string a few passes together going forward.

Smartie
06-02-2019, 08:59 PM
To give us hope that it will get better again and soon under his watch.

Hibee Mac
06-02-2019, 08:59 PM
Punt the deadwood and sign a spine for the team with drive and hunger plus ability to grow (ie McGinn etc).

Easier said than done mind you

bingo70
06-02-2019, 09:00 PM
1. Restore confidence of the side

2. Find a formation that fits the personnel we have (that may be number 1 actually)

3. Use the remainder of the season to build for next season.

Springbank
06-02-2019, 09:03 PM
be fitter
work harder

Hibeesmad
06-02-2019, 09:06 PM
Find out the system which is most suitable for the players we have got. We have got good players in every position, just need a system to fit them into.

The_Horde
06-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Find a way of playing effective football until the end of the seasln. Doesn't necessarily have to be pretty, but as long as the players look like they believe in it I'll be delighted.

Northernhibee
06-02-2019, 09:09 PM
We need to start moving on a few of the older bodies and putting succession plans in place.

20/20 hindsight is a gift everyone has but I said all summer that sentiment is for fans and we should have been looking to start planning to replace a few. The likes of McGregor has been a great servant to us but does he have anything to offer next season? Hard as it is to say we have to look at Gray as well. 31 at the start of next season and with a lengthy injury history; he's not going to be around forever. Milligan will be 34 at the start of next season, Whittaker 35 and Bartley is 34. Even Stevenson isn't able to overcome Father Time. That's a lot of bodies the wrong side of 30 and whilst a balance of experience and youth is great we have allowed the spine of the team to get old together.

It was a big rebuild that was required last summer and it was a job that wasn't reallt completed. I'd argue it's an even bigger job this year.

It’s what frustrated the hell out of me in the last few windows. Unless you have the resources to spend a year or twos wages on a player who brings no financial return it’s a waste of time and money. Milligan to replace Bartley is awful business. Whittaker to replace Gray is awful business. Having Holt as well as Graham was awful business.

We now have a glut of past it players with no real succession plan and we need to sign for the future in the summer. Not cheap and no easy ask.

Ozyhibby
06-02-2019, 09:16 PM
It’s what frustrated the hell out of me in the last few windows. Unless you have the resources to spend a year or twos wages on a player who brings no financial return it’s a waste of time and money. Milligan to replace Bartley is awful business. Whittaker to replace Gray is awful business. Having Holt as well as Graham was awful business.

We now have a glut of past it players with no real succession plan and we need to sign for the future in the summer. Not cheap and no easy ask.

Signing players over 30 rarely works well for long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

04Sauzee
06-02-2019, 09:17 PM
Assuming there is still some cash left in the kitty as we tried to buy McNulty and Allan I'd the press report are to be believed then maybe have a look at players who were freed in January and see if any would fit into his style of play and comes in on budget.

Fuzzywuzzy
06-02-2019, 09:20 PM
Stringing more than a couple of passes together would be nice. Sexy football. Wait, what's Ruud up to?

Tyler Durden
06-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Get the team fitter and ready to press teams and work for 90 mins. Make us hard to beat.

If it is Appleton then he’ll have seen/know a fair amount about a number of the squad. Horgan, Bigirimana, McNulty for example. He’ll have worked with Johnson recently. Hopefully he can fit these guys in the team and get a boost to the likes of Hanlon, Kamberi and Mallan who are struggling so badly when we know they have quality.

Inconsequential
06-02-2019, 09:33 PM
The new manager's first priority will be to assess the players ability, the youth system and the potential of club swiftly followed by his letter of resignation. :agree:

matty_f
06-02-2019, 09:35 PM

Figure out his best eleven players and find a system that gets the best out of them and then play that as often as possible.

Captain Trips
06-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Figure out his best eleven players and find a system that gets the best out of them and then play that as often as possible.

Ditto

James Stephen
06-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Get us organised and well coached.

Defensively strong and hard to play against, like all the successful teams in this league, then work from there.

Stuart93
06-02-2019, 10:19 PM
Play players in their natural positions, pres teams don’t give them a minute and organise us in a way that doesn’t allow teams to waltz through our midfield like it isn’t there.

Oh aye and hurry the **** up and sign

H18S NX
06-02-2019, 10:25 PM
Find some bottle,put the fear into opponents,face them up and let them know they are in a game(fairly tho)

greenlex
06-02-2019, 10:36 PM
We’ve decent players. Whoever it is needs to instill a bit of belief into them. Fitness and a bit of desire wouldn’t go amiss either. Determination and a will to win

matty_f
06-02-2019, 10:40 PM
We’ve decent players. Whoever it is needs to instill a bit of belief into them. Fitness and a bit of desire wouldn’t go amiss either. Determination and a will to win

Yep, the team is much better than it's showing at the moment.

J-C
06-02-2019, 10:46 PM
Get a tactic/system that will be effective and get the players enjoying their football again.

Use whatever man management skills he brings to instil some confidence back into the players.

B.H.F.C
06-02-2019, 10:48 PM
Find a way to cheer them up a bit. They look miserable from the moment they step on the pitch.

NAE NOOKIE
06-02-2019, 10:55 PM
Find a way of playing that gets players in space to receive the ball whenever we are on it. It seems to be something we are so poor at, in fact its the hallmark of every poor Hibs team I can think of ….. I think it was Shankly who said he would fine any player he caught standing still after parting with the ball and that's something we need to embrace.

J-C
06-02-2019, 11:02 PM
Find a way of playing that gets players in space to receive the ball whenever we are on it. It seems to be something we are so poor at, in fact its the hallmark of every poor Hibs team I can think of ….. I think it was Shankly who said he would fine any player he caught standing still after parting with the ball and that's something we need to embrace.

Been my biggest gripe all season, the majority standing like statues waiting for the ball instead of making space to receive it. Against Aberdeen I lost count the number of times Milligan had the ball at the back, looked up to see no one available, all standing there with a marker next to them. Last season McGeouch was always making space to receive the ball, McGinn as we know demanded the ball all the time and Allan was another who made space with his clever movement demanding the ball.

CMurdoch
06-02-2019, 11:11 PM

2. Find a formation that fits the personnel we have (that may be number 1 actually)

Kind of the same

1. Find a formation that fits the personnel we have. We have good players
2. Restore the confidence of the side.
3. Ensure we get in top 6
4. Use the remainder of the season to assess the players and decide what positions we need new players for to make the best of the players we have next season

A new manager who is not Scottish will be clinical and will move on players he doesn't want to make room for those he needs.
There will be no sentiment and i suspect all the players whose contracts are up in the summer will be moved on at the end of the season.
That means fans favourites Gray, McGregor, Bartley and Nelom will be culled.
The 6 loanees will leave.

That will leave us with 16 players this summer if contracted players can't be moved on.
Goalkeepers - Marciano & Dubrowski
Defenders - Whittaker, Stevenson, Mackie, Porteous, Hanlon
Midfield - Milligan, Allan, Slivka, Mallan, Horgan, F. Murray, Boyle
Strikers - Kamberi, Shaw

The new manager will then bring in 6 players of his choice in the summer.

HoboHarry
06-02-2019, 11:21 PM
Sack the admins on .net.......

:greengrin

matty_f
06-02-2019, 11:27 PM
Sack the admins on .net.......

:greengrin

Reported.

Diclonius
06-02-2019, 11:39 PM
Find a way to cheer them up a bit. They look miserable from the moment they step on the pitch.

This.

Diclonius
06-02-2019, 11:41 PM
Kind of the same

4. Use the remainder of the season to assess the players and decide what positions we need new players for to make the best of the players we have next season

A new manager who is not Scottish will be clinical and will move on players he doesn't want to make room for those he needs.
There will be no sentiment and i suspect all the players whose contracts are up in the summer will be moved on at the end of the season.

That will leave us with 16 players this summer if contracted players can't be moved on.
Strikers - Kamberi, Shaw

I don't think the board will back any new manager to rebuild the squad to that depth.

Hulk1875
07-02-2019, 12:00 AM
Kind of the same

Strikers - Kamberi, Shaw

Out of the culled I’d agree apart from gray

CMurdoch
07-02-2019, 02:18 AM
Out of the culled I’d agree apart from gray

I didn't mean i would cull them all if it was my choice but suspect the new manager will to get his own guys in.

CMurdoch
07-02-2019, 02:25 AM
I don't think the board will back any new manager to rebuild the squad to that depth.

If they only have 16 contracted 1st team players they will need to let the manager bring in at least 6 new players.
They need not be expensive players and could be on the wages freed up by those whose contracts have not been renewed.
The remaining players coming in would probably be loans again.

Ozyhibby
07-02-2019, 03:49 AM
If they only have 16 contracted 1st team players they will need to let the manager bring in at least 6 new players.
They need not be expensive players and could be on the wages freed up by those whose contracts have not been renewed.
The remaining players coming in would probably be loans again.

Probably bring in more bench warmers like this window.

Stuart93
07-02-2019, 04:20 AM

And there lies our problem

bod
07-02-2019, 06:42 AM
avoid relegation

southern hibby
07-02-2019, 07:21 AM
Motivation, inspiration and give the players belief in themselves.

Balance and shape of the team.

Then a look at the basics wouldn’t go amiss, throw ins, tracking runners and maybe just maybe get them winning a few second balls.

For me ( at least ) who ever comes in has got there work cut out for them.

GGTTH

Unseen work
07-02-2019, 08:12 AM
I actually feel sorry for the new manager as this is an awful time in the season to be coming in.

Were lacking creativity, pace and a lot more yet he won’t get the chance to strengthen until summer.

He needs to get a game plan and style of play implemented straight away as our team looks lost.

Get the belief back amongst the players and create a feel good factor as at the moment it’s verrrrry negative all round.

cammy1969
07-02-2019, 09:29 AM

Have to agree with you

Hibbyradge
07-02-2019, 09:51 AM

I'd have phrased that differently.

The board don't have the money to back a new manager to that extent. They gave all the available capital to Neil Lennon.

Greenworld
07-02-2019, 10:08 AM

For me they need to get some balance. I have no idea why we have so many attack minded midfielders. As a result we have little dig in midfield to win or retain the ball under pressure.I honestly don't think things are as bad as people think.
Play players in there correct positions is number 1.
Goal scoring has been a problem so we need to address how we play in midfield.
We have signed some good player in this window so new maker has a decent nucleos of players to pick from.
Not forgetting the young players maybe go with a few of them for the rest of this season

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

lyonhibs
08-02-2019, 01:51 PM
Win football matches. Don't care how, don't care who's playing or how defensive or attacking or weird the formation is. The next month or 2 are about winning.

Soul searching and debates about the board or "the Hibs way" can sodding well wait.

The 90+2
08-02-2019, 02:38 PM
Start sounding out players right away who want to join us for next season on pre-contracts. Set the existing players out as a team with a bit of shape.

Itsnoteasy
09-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Cancel the winter get together. A waste of time & money.

MWHIBBIES
09-02-2019, 07:44 AM
Cancel the winter get together. A waste of time & money.

Based on what? You got more knowledge than our conditioning team?

Basing it purely on results afterwords is very silly.

Itsnoteasy
09-02-2019, 08:08 AM

The conditioning team are going to tell you things are wonderful.

Also based on results.

Also based on team bonding. Players have left, & 1 signing in whilst in Dubai

Also the venue. Luckily Marciano was injured. How would they have explained that one to the fans that their 1st choice goalie couldn't get into the country.

Joe6-2
09-02-2019, 08:15 AM
Win football matches. Don't care how, don't care who's playing or how defensive or attacking or weird the formation is. The next month or 2 are about winning.

Soul searching and debates about the board or "the Hibs way" can sodding well wait.

Think we have had enough weird formations for one season!

NORTHERNHIBBY
09-02-2019, 08:19 AM
Make sure that players are played in their correct positions.

hibee-boys
09-02-2019, 08:31 AM

The success of a football team is based on it's results, the team has shown little evidence that this week of 'conditioning' has positively impacted on performance levels.

Jones28
09-02-2019, 08:35 AM
To re-capture the team spirit that was evident last season and at the start of this.

To play players both consistently and in their own position.

To find a consistent starting 11.

wookie70
09-02-2019, 08:40 AM
Pick a team with a shape that suits the players and stick with it for a few weeks. Give players a chance to force their way into the team by getting opportunities off the bench.

MWHIBBIES
09-02-2019, 08:49 AM
The success of a football team is based on it's results, the team has shown little evidence that this week of 'conditioning' has positively impacted on performance levels.There is nothing to suggest it hasn't benefitted us though? Maybe we lose 3/4 at Celtic without it? Maybe we don't beat St Mirren. No one knows.

The conditioning team are going to tell you things are wonderful.

Also based on results.

Also based on team bonding. Players have left, & 1 signing in whilst in Dubai

Also the venue. Luckily Marciano was injured. How would they have explained that one to the fans that their 1st choice goalie couldn't get into the country.

Venue I agree. Right so if we had stayed at home we'd have signed more players and won more games? Based on what?

Keith_M
09-02-2019, 09:45 AM
A thick skin

BullsCloseHibs
09-02-2019, 10:17 AM
Punt the deadwood and sign a spine for the team with drive and hunger plus ability to grow (ie McGinn etc).

Easier said than done mind you

Been saying this for years. We need an influential powerhouse centre back and create the spine from there. It's not rocket science, but Hibs just never seem to see it.

Crab apple
09-02-2019, 10:18 AM
Recruit players with energy, leadership and pace!

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 10:20 AM
Been saying this for years. We need an influential powerhouse centre back and create the spine from there. It's not rocket science, but Hibs just never seem to see it.

Ryan Porteous.

BoomtownHibees
09-02-2019, 10:21 AM
Recruit players with energy, leadership and pace!

He will have a few things to do before he can recruit anybody

Smartie
09-02-2019, 10:25 AM

What exactly has Darren McGregor been for the past 3 years?

He's not having his best season this year but the same could be said for a good few of our players and there will be reasons for that.

We can't airbrush his outstanding contribution to our club out of history.

In recent years we've had McGregor, Ambrose, Fontaine and Hanlon at CB. Over the years we've had top notch players from Rob Jones to Sol Bamba to Sauzee and many more represent us well at CH.

Porteous coming through is as good an example of a powerhouse CH as we've ever had come through the ranks in my time watching Hibs.

When we've been at our worst it's been at the other end - the ability to create then take chances that has let us down, and that looks like the biggest problem for our current side. The defence is only being shown up because we're not scoring enough.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 10:35 AM
****ing ram the hertz at Tynie I’m changing my opinion too or know them out the cup in the next round.

The 90+2
09-02-2019, 10:37 AM
He will have a few things to do before he can recruit anybody

Produce a video package begging for renewals?

BoomtownHibees
09-02-2019, 10:59 AM
Produce a video package begging for renewals?

Aye add an army theme and we will be ready to go

#appletonsgreenandwhitearmy

Northernhibee
09-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Put up with a whole ton of All Saints puns :hyper

It'll need to be water Under The Bridge.

A Hi-Bee
09-02-2019, 06:27 PM
Will be to make sure his initials are on all his kit.

Topographic Hibby
09-02-2019, 10:09 PM
Nail down all chairs at East Mains.

Callum_62
09-02-2019, 11:33 PM
Ask Fergie what it is

ian cruise
10-02-2019, 12:41 AM

Saved me the effort if typing, thanks. 100% agree. Let people know its a, clean slate, go out and play their natural game and enjoy doing what they do. Maybe ask the squad what they think the best roles and formation would suit them to grow a feeling of togetherness and try get an insight as to what's not been working so far.

lyonhibs
10-02-2019, 07:52 AM
Think we have had enough weird formations for one season!

If it gets us wins, then I couldn't care less if they play Milligan in the number 10 role and Mallan at LB. Just win.

PS. I realise of course is that getting the best players playing in their best positions will be step 1) to winning again. My point was that fans opinions on what that best XI and formation are don't actually matter.

Keith_M
10-02-2019, 09:42 AM
If it gets us wins, then I couldn't care less if they play Milligan in the number 10 role and Mallan at LB. Just win.

PS. I realise of course is that getting the best players playing in their best positions will be step 1) to winning again. My point was that fans opinions on what that best XI and formation are don't actually matter.

But that's the point, the weird formations and playing players out of position have contributed to the exact opposite.

Before the game against St Mirren, many of us uneducated fans proposed a formation we thought was sensible. May chose a different formation, and we were 1-0 down at half-time. An injury to one of the players caused a switch to the formation proposed on here and we turned it round to win 3-1.

Sometimes it's not rocket science.

mcfly
10-02-2019, 09:50 AM
A thick skin

Go to tynecastle with no fear and win

Secure top 6 and win the Scottish cup

That’ll do me please 🤞🙏

Viva_Palmeiras
10-02-2019, 11:28 AM
Finding East Mains./.

Diclonius
10-02-2019, 11:30 AM
****ing ram the hertz at Tynie I’m changing my opinion too or know them out the cup in the next round.

Relax, mate - I've been reliably informed we're "due a win" which trumps form, strength of squad etc. You don't have to worry about it. :aok: