PDA

View Full Version : 51% Pay Rise For Board Member.

Centre Hawf
06-02-2019, 11:57 AM
Someone retweeted a thread into my timeline regarding our Full Accounts at Companies House (https://twitter.com/kieranmaguire/status/1093095551200038912?s=21).

Amongst the information one tweet stood out that our highest paid board member has pocketed a pay package rise of 51% to £208k. I’m not an expert at all on these matters. Is this normal? It just seems such a significant increase for a board member.

Peevemor
06-02-2019, 12:01 PM
Someone retweeted a thread into my timeline regarding our Full Accounts at Companies House (https://twitter.com/kieranmaguire/status/1093095551200038912?s=21).

Amongst the information one tweet stood out that our highest paid board member has pocketed a pay package rise of 51% to £208k. I’m not an expert at all on these matters. Is this normal? It just seems such a significant increase for a board member.

From memory there was a large sum lumped into her pension scheme - I'd imagine some sort of performance bonus.

Lago
06-02-2019, 12:08 PM
Not a bad little earner for a mid table club in a small Scottish League.

danhibees1875
06-02-2019, 12:11 PM
From memory there was a large sum lumped into her pension scheme - I'd imagine some sort of performance bonus.

There was a significant increase in base salary too, the 51% is based on them added together (plus benefits).

The accounts compare the year ended June 2018 to June 2017, so the 50% jump is based on the club moving from Championship to Premiership (and achieving 4th/Europe - assuming there is a performance bonus element to remuneration).

GreenOnions
06-02-2019, 12:12 PM
Employer pays bonus directly into pension rather than as salary. Tax-efficient for both parties and I'd imagine part of a previously agreed bonus package.

Unlike plenty bonuses paid to company executives these days I reckon the recipient would have been able to make a good case for having earned this.

DarlingtonHibee
06-02-2019, 12:13 PM
Iirc as stated above alot of it was pension related. Plus she will have performance targets.

One Day Soon
06-02-2019, 12:18 PM
For the period concerned I would say there is a more than ample justification for a substantial bonus. Might be more of a contentious debate if the same happened in a period where nothing much was achieved.

Lago
06-02-2019, 12:23 PM
For the period concerned I would say there is a more than ample justification for a substantial bonus. Might be more of a contentious debate if the same happened in a period where nothing much was achieved.
Like this season?

Lendo
06-02-2019, 12:35 PM
Like this season?

Surely the next bonus paid will be reflective of this seasons performance, no?

Hermit Crab
06-02-2019, 12:38 PM

She'll end ups owing Hibs then. :greengrin

Winston Ingram
06-02-2019, 12:39 PM
I've no problem with Leann getting a large bonus. She's earnt it. I'm sure the Ponzi scheme mob will have an opposite view.

Diclonius
06-02-2019, 12:39 PM
That's the equivalent of 500 adult season tickets.

Billy Whizz
06-02-2019, 12:41 PM

We’ve got the McGinn money this financial year

CapitalGreen
06-02-2019, 12:42 PM
That's the equivalent of 500 adult season tickets.

Season tickets sales have increased by over 5,000 under LD's stewardship.

Diclonius
06-02-2019, 12:42 PM

Fair point.

CentreLine
06-02-2019, 01:01 PM
This was covered at the AGM last year. Old news and a non story

CropleyWasGod
06-02-2019, 01:10 PM

It's become news again because the accounts have just been published at Companies House.

Big_Franck
06-02-2019, 01:26 PM

I don't think it's a non story at all. I am a shareholder but never really read the accounts in any great detail and I didn't know this. It's interesting that Leeann is on that kind of money.

jacomo
06-02-2019, 01:29 PM
I've no problem with Leann getting a large bonus. She's earnt it. I'm sure the Ponzi scheme mob will have an opposite view.

Got me pitchfork and am going out now to fetch firewood.

allyh1bs
06-02-2019, 01:36 PM
This was discussed at the 2018 Club AGM. I would view the major part - increased pension contribution by the Club - as an incentive to remain in post with Hibs in the longer term, rather than the instant reward of a salary rise. Seemed to make sound sense to me. Hibs have moved forward hugely under Leanne, though some folk seem to forget where we were when she came in. They should be very careful what they wish for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 90+2
06-02-2019, 01:42 PM
This was discussed at the 2018 Club AGM. I would view the major part - increased pension contribution by the Club - as an incentive to remain in post with Hibs in the longer term, rather than the instant reward of a salary rise. Seemed to make sound sense to me. Hibs have moved forward hugely under Leanne, though some folk seem to forget where we were when she came in. They should be very careful what they wish for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s anyone wished for.

Her bonus is well deserved imo too.

MyJo
06-02-2019, 01:46 PM
I don't think it's a non story at all. I am a shareholder but never really read the accounts in any great detail and I didn't know this. It's interesting that Leeann is on that kind of money.

yep, she has turned a chronically underperforming club on its knees following relegation into a progressive, modern, structured club with record season ticket sales and the largest footballing budget in our history for our manager to work with.

She's overseen us winning the Scottish cup, getting out of the championship, numerous visits to Hampden in the cups, Chasing second in the premiership last season and our best performance in Europe for decades.

We signed McGinn, Allan(x3), McGeouch, Stokes(x2), Fyvie, Gray, Henderson, McGregor, Boyle, Ambrose, Marciano & Kamberi under her watch.

Told Rangers to f*** off when they wanted to sign Allan, Told Celtic to f*** off when they wanted to sign McGinn and
Listened to the fans when we wanted them to reduce the old firm ticket allocations, knowing we would make less money as a result.

and all for only 4k a week.

Heckys Wheel
06-02-2019, 01:53 PM

Probably, but not everybody who disagrees with the size of her bonus sings off the Ponzi scheme hymn sheet 😉

CMurdoch
06-02-2019, 02:55 PM
yep, she has turned a chronically underperforming club on its knees following relegation into a progressive, modern, structured club with record season ticket sales and the largest footballing budget in our history for our manager to work with.

She's overseen us winning the Scottish cup, getting out of the championship, numerous visits to Hampden in the cups, Chasing second in the premiership last season and our best performance in Europe for decades.

We signed McGinn, Allan(x3), McGeouch, Stokes(x2), Fyvie, Gray, Henderson, McGregor, Boyle, Ambrose, Marciano & Kamberi under her watch.

Told Rangers to f*** off when they wanted to sign Allan, Told Celtic to f*** off when they wanted to sign McGinn and
Listened to the fans when we wanted them to reduce the old firm ticket allocations, knowing we would make less money as a result.

Also oversaw the post Scottish Cup Final call for sanctions against the club. By boxing clever we avoided what could have been a massive fine and playing sanctions.
Also MAY have saved us a seasons wages to Lennon and oversaw the legal side of things which were wrapped up tight in double quick time. Judgement is reserved on this one but my money would be on her having played a blinder again given the crawly statement.
Is now overseeing the appointment of Lennons successor. Again judgement out until we see who we get and how he does.

The 90+2
06-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Also oversaw the post Scottish Cup Final call for sanctions against the club. By boxing clever we avoided what could have been a massive fine and playing sanctions.
Also MAY have saved us a seasons wages to Lennon and oversaw the legal side of things which were wrapped up tight in double quick time. Judgement is reserved on this one but my money would be on her having played a blinder again given the crawly statement.
Is now overseeing the appointment of Lennons successor. Again judgement out until we see who we get and how he does.

Awrite Colin? You coming up with your old teammate?

beensaidbefore
06-02-2019, 03:02 PM
Not a bad little earner for a mid table club in a small Scottish League.

Exactly, more than the prime minister gets! 😂 😂

Not In The Know
06-02-2019, 03:02 PM

Yup read this and quit moaning about her salary.

We could pay her peanuts and she'd be off to a club in league one in no time...

The 90+2
06-02-2019, 03:03 PM
Yup read this and quit moaning about her salary.

We could pay her peanuts and she'd be off to a club in league one in no time...

There’s no moaning.

IngolstadtHarry
06-02-2019, 03:08 PM

No, LD earned her massive bonus because of the improvement in the team's performance and results last year.
She won't be penalised for this years's drop in performance because we all know that that was all down to Lennon.

Honestly, Orwell would have trouble matching the spin of some of the stuff on this thread.

CropleyWasGod
06-02-2019, 03:11 PM
The note in question.

CropleyWasGod
06-02-2019, 03:13 PM
No, LD earned her massive bonus because of the improvement in the team's performance and results last year.
She won't be penalised for this years's drop in performance because we all know that that was all down to Lennon.

Honestly, Orwell would have trouble matching the spin of some of the stuff on this thread.

Where has that been said?

And what are the KPI's in her contract that determine the level of her bonus?

IngolstadtHarry
06-02-2019, 03:14 PM

Yeah, fair point. I'd guess that the majority of the increase in sales was due to fans' satisfaction with the balance sheets and wanting a glimpse of LD during matches, and nothing to do with the fact that the quality of football was improving under Stubbs and then Lennon.

IngolstadtHarry
06-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Employer pays bonus directly into pension rather than as salary. Tax-efficient for both parties and I'd imagine part of a previously agreed bonus package.

Unlike plenty bonuses paid to company executives these days I reckon the recipient would have been able to make a good case for having earned this.

Got to love that - I think the more honest description would be 'tax-avoiding' i.e. doing a Richard Branson.

lapsedhibee
06-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Got to love that - I think the more honest description would be 'tax-avoiding' i.e. doing a Richard Branson.

Those dastardly money men with their influence.

IngolstadtHarry
06-02-2019, 03:20 PM
Where has that been said?

And what are the KPI's in her contract that determine the level of her bonus?

It was just said, sarcastically, by me. ;-)

CapitalGreen
06-02-2019, 03:49 PM
Yeah, fair point. I'd guess that the majority of the increase in sales was due to fans' satisfaction with the balance sheets and wanting a glimpse of LD during matches, and nothing to do with the fact that the quality of football was improving under Stubbs and then Lennon.

Who brought Stubbs and Lennon to the club?

IngolstadtHarry
06-02-2019, 03:59 PM
Who brought Stubbs and Lennon to the club?

Are you referring to the Lennon who brought the best football in a generation - or scapegoat Lennon who brought us to the verge of ruin.

Let me supply an answer which will fit your agenda. LD brought successful Lennon, while teaching him how to coach the team, and then she rescued the club from failure Lennon, who just wasn't able to grasp what she was trying to show him.

Lendo
06-02-2019, 03:59 PM

It's not tax-avoidance though is it?

She will be taxed on the income she draws from her pension when she reaches retirement age. It's effectively moving the point at which tax is taken from now until her retirement.

IngolstadtHarry
06-02-2019, 04:03 PM

She will be taxed on the income she draws from her pension when she reaches retirement age. It's effectively moving the point at which tax is taken from now until her retirement.

Come on, the OP was being more honest when he termed it 'tax-efficient'.

sadtom
06-02-2019, 05:29 PM

I hope someone has heard what i've called the Weegies over the years. If paid accordingly i'd make the Sultan of Brunai feel like a pauper.
Champagne for my friends!

allezsauzee
06-02-2019, 05:57 PM

If we considered increasing the wage cap for players to this, we'd maybe have a better midfield this season.

DarlingtonHibee
06-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Don't think it's wages.

Part of this is a lump sum into her pension fund

CropleyWasGod
06-02-2019, 06:07 PM
Don't think it's wages.

Part of this is a lump sum into her pension fund

My earlier post gives the breakdown.

CropleyWasGod
06-02-2019, 06:09 PM

....whilst saving us lashings of NIC that we can splurge on players 😉

Islington Hibs
06-02-2019, 06:11 PM
because she's worth it.

Islington Hibs
06-02-2019, 06:17 PM
because she's worth it.

bit rude to reply to ones own post but I genuinely think she is. Sure this season has not been great but the improvement over the last five odd years has been staggering. Brave choice with Stubbs- paid off, exciting players who stick with the club and grow- until recently mainly young Scots rather than journeymen oldies, best feel good the club has had in my 40 odd years supporting the team, biggest gates I can remember, avoided selling our best players to old firm, massive improvement in communications, seems a well rounded, fair and quite long term in her approach. In my book she has been the biggest single factor in our resurgence

PatHead
06-02-2019, 06:17 PM
....whilst saving us lashings of NIC that we can splurge on players 😉

And herself ni as well as tax.

All happy.