PDA

View Full Version : A sincere thanks to Hibs and Hibs.net

lyonhibs
05-02-2019, 09:01 PM
We are fortunate enough to support the greatest club in world football, and to call ourselves part of the Hibs supporting community. In pubs and online forums alike we may very often have our own internecine differences and squabbles, but what we have in common - the love for this great club - is greater than what so often divides us.

Earlier today, my best friend of almost 25 years died tragically young at the age of 35. I do not mention his name as it is not my place to do so, but as I delve into the absolute myriad of memories I have from those years, the vast majority of them are linked inextricably to Hibs.

From sitting in the old West (remember when the upper West North tier just sort of "moved" in 1 game??) and managing to convince the guy on the turnstile to let us in for the juvenile price, right up to our last game together - regrettably the home derby loss to Hearts just before New Year, Hibs have been one of the most prominent common threads throughout our friendship.

Whether it be games home and away, indescribable highs (the Brian Kerr game, our 1-0 masterclass at Ibrox under Collins and the destruction of Rangers after George Best had died in the old East to name but 3) to the brutal lows (the LC Final against Livi always hurt the most for some reason) I could recount tales of Hibs games with my best friend from now until eternity and never get bored.
For that is what Hibs is - more than a club, as all football teams are to their devoted fans, whether near or far. Without the human element, football might as well be a sequence of code, churned out by a bot somewhere in a server facility in Nevada or something. Football without the fans, without your mates, much like life itself, isn't worth bugger all in the end.

And with regards specifically to Hibs.net, it's well known that I didn't make it to the SC Final in 2016. However, after all the various heartbreak we'd witnessed together, I was going to be buggered if both of us were going to miss out.

His illness had just been diagnosed as what eventually took him but he was plenty healthy enough to go to the game, but not a ST holder at the time. Thus he, and by extension I, on his behalf, joined the scramble for that last batch of South Debentures. We didn't have any luck via that route but - mercifully, for he's not on here - I took to the Hibs.net spare tickets thead and managed to secure him one from a good and genuine Hibby on here.

Ticket collection went without a hitch and whilst I lost the plot in a Zurich pub, he got to experience the real thing, and thank god he did (although, knowing him, he'd have had a mild tut at the pitch invasion :greengrin).

So, whilst the road may be bumpy, it's the journey and not the current location that counts. I'm not sure when I'll be back to ER, the concept of going without him by my side seems too alien right now, but I'll doubtless be back and doing what we did and do best - supporting the greatest team in the world.

GGTTH :flag:

Hi Heid Yin
05-02-2019, 09:07 PM
A truly moving and welcome post.

Thank you for sharing the memories of your friend.

You will always have these to turn to.

Jim44
05-02-2019, 09:08 PM
Sorry to hear about your friend. A very touching tribute.

One Day Soon
05-02-2019, 09:08 PM
That's some post. Very, very sorry for your loss - particularly when he was so young.

You are right of course, it is a journey and not a destination. Amen to enjoying it.

And for what it is worth, the images of you losing it in that Swiss pub are one of the things that have lodged in my mind's eye from the incredible memories of that great day. It was you in the pub but it could have been any one or every one of us.

GGTTH

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2019, 09:22 PM
:top marks

A very emotional and touching tribute from one hibee to another a shared love and friendship that will never die.

Another Hibby taken too soon

Sorry for your loss.

WeeRussell
05-02-2019, 09:24 PM
Brilliant.

And RIP.

Bostonhibby
05-02-2019, 09:27 PM
We are fortunate enough to support the greatest club in world football, and to call ourselves part of the Hibs supporting community. In pubs and online forums alike we may very often have our own internecine differences and squabbles, but what we have in common - the love for this great club - is greater than what so often divides us.

Earlier today, my best friend of almost 25 years died tragically young at the age of 35. I do not mention his name as it is not my place to do so, but as I delve into the absolute myriad of memories I have from those years, the vast majority of them are linked inextricably to Hibs.

From sitting in the old West (remember when the upper West North tier just sort of "moved" in 1 game??) and managing to convince the guy on the turnstile to let us in for the juvenile price, right up to our last game together - regrettably the home derby loss to Hearts just before New Year, Hibs have been one of the most prominent common threads throughout our friendship.

Whether it be games home and away, indescribable highs (the Brian Kerr game, our 1-0 masterclass at Ibrox under Collins and the destruction of Rangers after George Best had died in the old East to name but 3) to the brutal lows (the LC Final against Livi always hurt the most for some reason) I could recount tales of Hibs games with my best friend from now until eternity and never get bored.
For that is what Hibs is - more than a club, as all football teams are to their devoted fans, whether near or far. Without the human element, football might as well be a sequence of code, churned out by a bot somewhere in a server facility in Nevada or something. Football without the fans, without your mates, much like life itself, isn't worth bugger all in the end.

And with regards specifically to Hibs.net, it's well known that I didn't make it to the SC Final in 2016. However, after all the various heartbreak we'd witnessed together, I was going to be buggered if both of us were going to miss out.

His illness had just been diagnosed as what eventually took him but he was plently healthy enough to go to the game, but not a ST holder at the time. Thus he, and by extension I, on his behalf, joined the scramble for that last batch of South Debentures. We didn't have any luck via that route but - mercifully, for he's not on here - I took to the Hibs.net spare tickets thead and managed to secure him one from a good and genuine Hibby on here.

Ticket collection went without a hitch and whilst I lost the plot in a Zurich pub, he got to experience the real thing, and thank god he did (although, knowing him, he'd have had a mild tut at the pitch invasion :greengrin).

So, whilst the road may be bumpy, it's the journey and not the current location that counts. I'm not sure when I'll be back to ER, the concept of going without him by my side seems too alien right now, but I'll doubtless be back and doing what we did and do best - supporting the greatest team in the world.

GGTTH :flag:That's a touching post and a lasting tribute to what your pal meant to you,and what friends do for each other.

Sorry to hear about the loss of another member of the Hibs family.

Sent from my SM-A750FN using Tapatalk

Rattler
05-02-2019, 09:28 PM
Sincere condolences on your loss of a great friend.

You’ve doubtless shared many highlights and equally as many lows in the years following the Hibs together and they’ll be missed; but you’ll forever cherish the memories of those special moments together and look back on them and think - the highs were fantastic and the lows merely a reminder of how good the highlights really are!

Pretty Boy
05-02-2019, 09:31 PM
An absolutely superb post, sums up football and friendship perfectly.

Sorry for your loss and may your mate RIP.

Groathillgrump
05-02-2019, 09:35 PM
Sorry to hear about the death of your friend but glad you were able to share your memories with us in such a moving post.

GlesgaeHibby
05-02-2019, 09:44 PM

His illness had just been diagnosed as what eventually took him but he was plently healthy enough to go to the game, but not a ST holder at the time. Thus he, and by extension I, on his behalf, joined the scramble for that last batch of South Debentures. We didn't have any luck via that route but - mercifully, for he's not on here - I took to the Hibs.net spare tickets thead and managed to secure him one from a good and genuine Hibby on here.

Fantastic tribute.

I remember bumping into him after the cup final in 2016 - both still in disbelief and trying to take in what had actually happened. We shared a chuckle that you had made it back from Switzerland for umpteen Hampden trips and Derbies and the one you couldn't make was that special day.

A great Hibby, and top bloke, gone far too soon. RIP.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2019, 09:52 PM
Sorry to hear your news, but that's a moving tribute.

Well done.

scuttle
05-02-2019, 10:05 PM
Well done mate very moving. RIP to your friend and get back to Easter Road soon in memory of him

The Green Goblin
05-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Very moving post, from the heart. My sympathy for your loss and I’m glad “he was there”. Rest in Peace.

Joe6-2
05-02-2019, 10:07 PM
It's sad to lose someone close, and more upsetting when they are so young.
I hope you find the strength to return to ER, and I'm sure he would want you too.
My condolences

kevinc
05-02-2019, 10:08 PM
Lovely post, thank you for sharing.

Stuart93
05-02-2019, 10:10 PM

His illness had just been diagnosed as what eventually took him but he was plenty healthy enough to go to the game, but not a ST holder at the time. Thus he, and by extension I, on his behalf, joined the scramble for that last batch of South Debentures. We didn't have any luck via that route but - mercifully, for he's not on here - I took to the Hibs.net spare tickets thead and managed to secure him one from a good and genuine Hibby on here.

Sorry for your loss.

It’s more than just a game.

Scottie
05-02-2019, 11:00 PM
Well done mate for such a fitting tribute to your dear friend. Deepest condolences. RIP

The Harp
05-02-2019, 11:14 PM
What a wonderful tribute to your friend lyonhibs, written from the heart.
The memories of happy times you shared together will remain with you. Condolences on the loss of your friend.

The 90+2
06-02-2019, 12:32 AM
Your friend will know how much of a friend you were miles before your fantastic post. Delighted was there and I’m very sorry for your loss.
Oh aye, any video evidence of losing the plot in Switzerland? 😀 I love the footage off fans who couldn’t make it. Thank you.

Haymaker
06-02-2019, 12:45 AM
Moving tribute. Rip.

BSEJVT
06-02-2019, 04:47 AM
Very sorry for your loss

A very touching tribute straight from the heart

Taken far too soon, but very lucky to have a friend like you and I am sure he knew that.

Few things in life really really matter that much and its always sad that it takes a tragedy like this to remind us of that.

RIP to your friend.

J-C
06-02-2019, 06:13 AM

Lovely touching post, thanks for sharing your thoughts with us.

Speedway
06-02-2019, 06:31 AM
Well done LH for honouring your friend so eloquently.

Time is like a dream and we have nothing except now.

Very best wishes for peace to be in the hearts of all of your pal's loved ones.

Hibrandenburg
06-02-2019, 06:32 AM
Sorry for your loss. I never feel closer to my dad than I do when I'm at Easter Road.

Chorley Hibee
06-02-2019, 06:46 AM
An incredibly moving post, and as you so eloquently put - football is so much more than the actual game per se. I hope you treasure all those moments.

Roberts1875
06-02-2019, 07:08 AM
Superb post, sums up life supporting the Hibs with your mates......:top marks

jacomo
06-02-2019, 07:18 AM
Sorry to hear about your friend. Such a young age to go.

We all need a bit of perspective at times. The 2016 Scottish Cup was particularly poignant, not just for those who were there, but for those many generations who never saw Hibs lift it.

I’m all for a robust exchange of views (and often participate in them) but at the end of the day we are all bound by a shared love of Hibernian FC.

Scouse Hibee
06-02-2019, 07:33 AM
A wonderfully moving post, your friend was lucky to share such a friendship with you. So sorry for the loss of your dear friend and may he rest in peace.

Fergos
06-02-2019, 07:49 AM
A lovely tribute LH.

Condolences on your loss, strength and love to friends and family.

To the angels high above.....

GGTTH.

brog
06-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Such a sad post which paradoxically gave me hope. A beautiful tribute which puts our current squabbles in perspective. You've done your mate proud.

One Day Soon
06-02-2019, 11:15 AM
A lovely tribute LH.

Condolences on your loss, strength and love to friends and family.

To the angels high above.....

GGTTH.

After many days of seeing tribal posting across many threads I have to say that sad (and poignant) though the OP is, it and many of the replies have been really positive to read.

'To the angels high above' usually just washes over me but when I hear it in this kind of context it is really touching.

Here’s Lucy!
06-02-2019, 03:51 PM
Wow! You certainly know how to compose. :aok:

Beautifully written and very poignant,

Well done.

sauzee6_2
06-02-2019, 04:05 PM
I mean this in the most compassionate way possible....your post made me smile.

I’m sure we can all relate to your post.

God bless.

Here’s Lucy!
06-02-2019, 04:44 PM
I mean this in the most compassionate way possible....your post made me smile.

I’m sure we can all relate to your post.

God bless.

:top marks

nonshinyfinish
06-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Fantastic tribute.

I remember bumping into him after the cup final in 2016 - both still in disbelief and trying to take in what had actually happened. We shared a chuckle that you had made it back from Switzerland for umpteen Hampden trips and Derbies and the one you couldn't make was that special day.

A great Hibby, and top bloke, gone far too soon. RIP.

Had a couuple of pints with him before the final and met him again on the surreal, delirious walk back to the city centre.

Awful news but a wonderful tribute.

Iggy Pope
06-02-2019, 08:22 PM
Beautiful words and a great testimony to the friendship you had with your mate.

Phil MaGlass
06-02-2019, 09:19 PM
Nice one

FranckSuzy
06-02-2019, 09:38 PM
I am very sorry to hear about your friend but what a fine tribute you have posted to him. RIP.

tonyrougier123
06-02-2019, 09:49 PM
very moving post.😢. r.i.p to your friend.ggtth

Bishop Hibee
06-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Fantastic post. Sums up how this great club has touched us all and how much more than watching 11 players kicking a ball about Hibernian FC means. RIP.

matty_f
06-02-2019, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss, your post was a great wee tribute.

lyonhibs
12-02-2019, 03:42 PM
Many thanks for your kind words. It turns out that via the wonders of it being a very small world, the family found out about my OP, which was never the idea, but they liked it as well.

The funeral will be rough, but I'll be wearing the Hibs tie and SC Winners lapel pin so there'll be a little bit of Hibs seeing him off
:flag: