PDA

View Full Version : Postcard

lenc
05-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Hi

Thanks for letting me join.

I recently bought a postcard collection of Armagh NI and among the cards was this one

It was posted in Armagh but I'd love to find out who the man is. Bearing in mind the postmark date of 1907 could he have been a major player, owner or even founder of the club?

Any help greatly appreciated.

http://i63.tinypic.com/21klc0z.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/snr4.jpg

Lenc

Carheenlea
05-02-2019, 08:12 PM
I don’t think it’s our Hibs. The colours don’t suggest that, and have never heard of any connection with Armagh. A quick google search doesn’t really throw much up so quite intriguing!

Mibbes Aye
05-02-2019, 08:23 PM
I don’t think it’s our Hibs. The colours don’t suggest that, and have never heard of any connection with Armagh. A quick google search doesn’t really throw much up so quite intriguing!

I was going to query whether it was our Hibs. It doesn’t look like any of the main names from then, not least of all because most of them had bushy moustaches.

The closest resemblance is possibly to Philip Farmer but it doesn’t really look too much like him.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2019, 08:25 PM
Plus, "Hib's".

I want no association with that! :bitchy:

PatHead
05-02-2019, 08:30 PM
I was going to query whether it was our Hibs. It doesn’t look like any of the main names from then, not least of all because most of them had bushy moustaches.

The closest resemblance is possibly to Philip Farmer but it doesn’t really look too much like him.

Dundee Hibernian were not formed until 1909 so not them

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2019, 09:09 PM
In the thread: Hibees-Who coined the phrase?

hibbybrian alludes to a postcard from circa 1900 “ Play up HIBS” posted 25/1/2011

ano hibby has a poster from the Scottish Football Museum on his avatar “Play up Hi Bs” posted 26/1/2011

The other mystery is the identity of the image of the man on the postcard a young Dan McMichael? Bobby Atherton? Johnny Divers? Willie Groves? John Mcgeachan or a very young James Connolly active in both Belfast and Dublin at that time?

The plot thickens

lenc
05-02-2019, 09:40 PM
great stuff everyone thanks. would be great to know!