PDA

View Full Version : Hibs PR and Marketing

truehibernian
05-02-2019, 06:26 PM
On Saturday admittedly there was a downbeat feel about the place due to circumstances on the pitch and off it. But what struck me was the apathy and a return to the bad old days of 'rolling along' and a degree of acceptance that we are where we are. Results do of course affect the overall well-being and state of mind of both support and staff, but it annoys me that we have gone from the darkness of Butcher and relegation to the re-emergence of Hibs and loving the club again. Much of that down to the club's marketing and promotion tapping into the emotions of the fans with really good (upbeat) marketing campaigns, good appointments in that field, and building on the momentum that we built up with derby wins, attacking football, the cup win (obviously) and more importantly reconnecting fans with players.

Outside The Box, the creative and inventive season ticket campaigns, the emotive films about why we supported the club...........these projects seemed to have disappeared since the 'record number' sales.............why have they stopped and what are the club doing to address this ?

My son, who totally disconnected (as did his mates) was drawn back in to coming to games because of the above - and the football of course - but the marketing was 'on point' and actually got more of our fans really following the club again - on and off the pitch.

What has changed in the strategy other than personnel ?

I loved what the club were producing regularly - why has the club not capitalised and continued ? Surely not because of recent results on the pitch ?

Interested to know fellow fans thoughts, or am I being fickle ?

Real Emerald
05-02-2019, 06:37 PM
On Saturday admittedly there was a downbeat feel about the place due to circumstances on the pitch and off it. But what struck me was the apathy and a return to the bad old days of 'rolling along' and a degree of acceptance that we are where we are. Results do of course affect the overall well-being and state of mind of both support and staff, but it annoys me that we have gone from the darkness of Butcher and relegation to the re-emergence of Hibs and loving the club again. Much of that down to the club's marketing and promotion tapping into the emotions of the fans with really good (upbeat) marketing campaigns, good appointments in that field, and building on the momentum that we built up with derby wins, attacking football, the cup win (obviously) and more importantly reconnecting fans with players.

Outside The Box, the creative and inventive season ticket campaigns, the emotive films about why we supported the club...........these projects seemed to have disappeared since the 'record number' sales.............why have they stopped and what are the club doing to address this ?

My son, who totally disconnected (as did his mates) was drawn back in to coming to games because of the above - and the football of course - but the marketing was 'on point' and actually got more of our fans really following the club again - on and off the pitch.

What has changed in the strategy other than personnel ?

I loved what the club were producing regularly - why has the club not capitalised and continued ? Surely not because of recent results on the pitch ?

Interested to kn fans thoughts, or am I being fickle ?

I agree, it feels like it was all steam ahead with loads of enthusiasm and a really buoyant noisy support that, folk couldn’t wait to get to the games. The club were really pushing the marketing and everything seemed we were on the up. It has felt like at some point they’ve said **** it, can’t be bothered with this anymore let’s just go back to the dark old days. We really hear nothing anymore and the stadium is devoid of atmosphere. Totally tragic fall from where we had got to 😕

HibeeHibernian4
05-02-2019, 06:38 PM

I'm not aware of all the comings and goings behind the scenes at Hibs, but a lot of talented people have moved on and it's probably been difficult to replace them. Tom Zanelli from MarathonBet was a big pusher of content like Outside the Box, and he moved on after a season or two. Greg Mailer became the SFA's Head of Communications in March 2017, having been our Head of Marketing and Commercial Operations up until that point.

This isn't meant as a slight on the people who replaced them, but - much like our midfield from last season - Zanelli, Mailer and others are very talented people who are hard to seamlessly replace.

Austinho
05-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Absolutely agree - even at our lowest ebb in the Championship, there was an aura about the club, and you couldn’t help but love the club and feel connected to the players with all the social media stuff coming out. Now we virtually have an entirely new squad, that connection is more important than ever. As I said elsewhere, the only news that comes out of the club now is that the Murder Mystery night has tickets available.

I don’t know what is going on behind the scenes, but I have read that some of the wages for some of the marketing/design roles are dreadful, and sadly it shows by the quality being produced. Perhaps the club are cutting down on that kind of spending.

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-02-2019, 07:25 PM
Still tickets available for "The Hitman & Her" night! 😄

Sioux
05-02-2019, 07:35 PM
Absolutely agree - even at our lowest ebb in the Championship, there was an aura about the club, and you couldn’t help but love the club and feel connected to the players with all the social media stuff coming out. Now we virtually have an entirely new squad, that connection is more important than ever. As I said elsewhere, the only news that comes out of the club now is that the Murder Mystery night has tickets available.

I don’t know what is going on behind the scenes, but I have read that some of the wages for some of the marketing/design roles are dreadful, and sadly it shows by the quality being produced. Perhaps the club are cutting down on that kind of spending.

Aye very good. I'll bet you didn't read it in a club publication. At least its different from 'I heard'.

If the club were paying top dollar for those people, they'd get crucified because the money could have gone to player wages. If the club did trumpet about "come along and buy tickets" that would be met with "fleecing the fans again".

Unfortunately many on here have their lives ruined when they've nothing to moan about.

Scouse Hibee
05-02-2019, 10:41 PM
Aye very good. I'll bet you didn't read it in a club publication. At least its different from 'I heard'.

If the club were paying top dollar for those people, they'd get crucified because the money could have gone to player wages. If the club did trumpet about "come along and buy tickets" that would be met with "fleecing the fans again".

Unfortunately many on here have their lives ruined when they've nothing to moan about.

No different from your ifs and buts argument really.

truehibernian
06-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Just as an update, I have had a really comprehensive (and very much appreciated) reply from Kenny Millar and humble pie is in order :agree: there is a lot of really good work going on and hand on heart his reply, which I still have to digest in full, is detailed, with context, and heart felt.

Thank you Kenny - really good response and very appreciated - and I will respond.

I for one appreciate the work you and all the guys are doing :aok:

18Craig75
06-02-2019, 06:18 PM
Just as an update, I have had a really comprehensive (and very much appreciated) reply from Kenny Millar and humble pie is in order :agree: there is a lot of really good work going on and hand on heart his reply, which I still have to digest in full, is detailed, with context, and heart felt.

Thank you Kenny - really good response and very appreciated - and I will respond.

Maybe if KM was okay with it you could post it on here, In the absence of any official communication from “Supporter Reps” and the executives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wheat Hound
06-02-2019, 06:21 PM

Yep that's all very well but if it has to be spelled out via a pm then by definition it's failed PR surely?

truehibernian
06-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Yep that's all very well but if it has to be spelled out via a pm then by definition it's failed PR surely?

Like I say, I'll digest it in full but I think it would be counter-productive and unfair to post the full reply, given the obvious hard work that is going on in the background (that I was unaware of as a fan) and work which I'm sure the club (and Kenny) want to unveil when the time is right.

My initial post was just to underline how we, as a club, should be capitalising on the really creative stuff coming from the club that last 3 years and not losing momentum. The huge positive for me is that these things are not being 'missed' and the people at the club in the position to move the marketing side forward are indeed working hard to progress things.

Sorry to sound so Machiavellian..........don't mean to be. I'll see if Kenny (or the club) can feed things back in their own way without spoiling surprises or upcoming campaigns.

Wheat Hound
06-02-2019, 06:36 PM
Like I say, I'll digest it in full but I think it would be counter-productive and unfair to post the full reply, given the obvious hard work that is going on in the background (that I was unaware of as a fan) and work which I'm sure the club (and Kenny) want to unveil when the time is right.

My initial post was just to underline how we, as a club, should be capitalising on the really creative stuff coming from the club that last 3 years and not losing momentum. The huge positive for me is that these things are not being 'missed' and the people at the club in the position to move the marketing side forward are indeed working hard to progress things.

Sorry to sound so Machiavellian..........don't mean to be. I'll see if Kenny (or the club) can feed things back in their own way without spoiling surprises or upcoming campaigns.

Fair enough and, for what it's worth, I do think having Kenny is a real coup for the club and I'm sure in time his talents will become apparent 👍