PDA

View Full Version : Eddie May

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2019, 05:47 PM
I get that folk want honesty but sometimes it’s better to keep your thoughts to yourself:

“I don’t want to do it. I don’t like it. But somebody has to do it”

That will really inspire the players for tomorrow night!!

Heisenberg
05-02-2019, 05:48 PM
I get that folk want honesty but sometimes it’s better to keep your thoughts to yourself:

Was he not talking about doing the media duties?

AugustaHibs
05-02-2019, 05:49 PM
Guy is the most uninspiring man I’ve ever heard

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2019, 05:49 PM

No it was about being in charge as he spoke about wanting to get back to his day job

CMac1988
05-02-2019, 05:50 PM

In fairness wasn't that quote more directed at the media duties he's undertaken whilst covering?

Hibee Mac
He should be buzzing at having a free shot effectively. Very bizarre the way he's gone about it basically saying he's got his hands tied behind his back.

BoomtownHibees
In fairness wasn't that quote more directed at the media duties he's undertaken whilst covering?

I took it as being about doing the actual job as he spoke about wanting to get back to his own job

truehibernian
I don’t think it’s in his character but one thing he needs to do is lighten up and be more upbeat - the build up and dressing room was like a morgue on Saturday. Very uninspiring but he has been thrust into the limelight unexpectedly so he does deserve credit and some leeway.

04Sauzee
05-02-2019, 05:51 PM

Yes he definitely was , imagine he said he loved it people would be getting their knickers in a twist thinking he wanted the job. Thought he had a bit of humour about him today whilst having a dig at McInnes which is always nice

HoboHarry
05-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Obviously too young to remember Leon Brittan and Geoffery Howe speaking then......

The 90+2
05-02-2019, 05:55 PM
He is out his comfort zone being honest and upfront and still doing it while many wouldn’t.

Out of all the people that posters can have a dig at, Eddie May?!

Oh aye, the players we have are above average in Scottish terms professional footballers. If they can’t be inspired going to a 60k stadium playing against top pros then nothing will.

Fuzzywuzzy
05-02-2019, 06:01 PM
He's made it more than clear he doesn't like the role. Hated the role at falkirk and said he never enjoyed doing it. He said it was a relief when it came to an end.

If he's not comfortable doing it and made it clear he's not comfortable what are folk expecting from him?!?! You want a Graeme Murty character.

He's here for the shorthaul, let him get on with it. The board would have known his view but gave him the role anyway. They could have had Murray or combe out of the three of them.

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2019, 06:03 PM
He is out his comfort zone being honest and upfront and still doing it while many wouldn’t.

Out of all the people that posters can have a dig at, Eddie May?!

Oh aye, the players we have are above average in Scottish terms professional footballers. If they can’t be inspired going to a 60k stadium playing against top pros then nothing will.

The way he spoke mirrored Saturdays performance. I get that he’s out of his comfort zone but sometimes thoughts are best left in silence

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2019, 06:04 PM
He's made it more than clear he doesn't like the role. Hated the role at falkirk and said he never enjoyed doing it. He said it was a relief when it came to an end.

If he's not comfortable doing it and made it clear he's not comfortable what are folk expecting from him?!?! You want a Graeme Murty character.

He's here for the shorthaul, let him get on with it. The board would have known his view but gave him the role anyway. They could have had Murray or combe out of the three of them.

Maybe Murray would have at least sounded as if he was interested in doing it

DaveF
05-02-2019, 06:06 PM
The way he spoke mirrored Saturdays performance. I get that he’s out of his comfort zone but sometimes thoughts are best left in silence

I agree. Everyone knows he is only temporary so just put on a face and take the challenge on rather than bumping his gums every chance he gets. The team needs a lift, so try and provide it.

HoboHarry
05-02-2019, 06:08 PM
FFS. Even Eddie May is taking flak on here. I'll give it till Friday and there will be a thread trying to get rid of Tam McCourt........

:doh:

DaveF
05-02-2019, 06:13 PM
FFS. Even Eddie May is taking flak on here. I'll give it till Friday and there will be a thread trying to get rid of Tam McCourt........

:doh:

He's hardly getting stick. It would just be nice if he could inspire and at least try to sound convincing while he's doing the job :-)

Allant1981
05-02-2019, 06:16 PM
He's hardly getting stick. It would just be nice if he could inspire and at least try to sound convincing while he's doing the job :-)

If he is doing it in the dressing room then that's all the matters, he could be the most boring sounding man on the planet but if it's working at the training ground then who cares

offshorehibby
05-02-2019, 06:16 PM
Nothing like kicking one of our own, is this the Hibs way now. We all know he doesn't want the gig, for a guy not used to being in the spot light i think he spoke very well.

SquashedFrogg
05-02-2019, 06:18 PM

He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. If people are upset with this then they really should spend the same amount of effort questioning themselves, as they do questioning others.

J-C
05-02-2019, 06:20 PM
He tried management at Falkirk but prefers being in the background developing young talent.

snedzuk
05-02-2019, 06:22 PM
any player questioning Eddie May could read this:-

http://www.hibernianfc.co.uk/news/8619

then go and emulate that..

The 90+2
05-02-2019, 06:24 PM

He’s going out his way to speak to the media. He’s been put in this position by the club/Lennon. His job is to prepare the team that’s all.

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2019, 06:25 PM
He was asked a question and gave an honest answer. If people are upset with this then they really should spend the same amount of effort questioning themselves, as they do questioning others.

Thanks for the advice Doc

BoomtownHibees
05-02-2019, 06:26 PM
Nothing like kicking one of our own, is this the Hibs way now. We all know he doesn't want the gig, for a guy not used to being in the spot light i think he spoke very well.

Nobody is “kicking him”. Just an observation on how he spoke and that it could easily transfer to the team. Saturdays slow, ponderous, boring performance mirrored how he spoke about being in the role

Leith Green
05-02-2019, 06:29 PM
He should be buzzing at having a free shot effectively. Very bizarre the way he's gone about it basically saying he's got his hands tied behind his back.

He will probably have a good relationship with Lennon as well. May has duties to fulfill for the club but there is a good chance he feels uncomfortable because of the situation

The 90+2
05-02-2019, 06:30 PM
Nobody is “kicking him”. Just an observation on how he spoke and that it could easily transfer to the team. Saturdays slow, ponderous, boring performance mirrored how he spoke about being in the role

Like I said, if the team can’t motivate it going to Parkhead they should chuck it.

Slow, ponderous has been the story of the season. Nothing to do with Eddie in his truthful interview to the support. Kicking one of our own down over something isn’t good. I could see the point if he was taking us to Inverness desperate for 3 points. Nearly see the point sorry.

Leith Green
05-02-2019, 06:34 PM
I actually feel sorry for him. I would compare it to any line of work that we may do , imagine being a worker for an employer who suddenly suspends then pays off the manager and then being asked to run things and be answerable to everybody for performance , results and an insight to what has happened. I know that i wouldnt appreciate it too much and having no forward planning or preparation for the event would be a nightmare.

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2019, 06:41 PM
Yip! I think he has made it loud and clear he does not want the top job

No need to keep on reminding us

Most Coaches would give their eye teeth for a chance to select and manage a top Scottish Premiership side and pit their wits against other top Premiership sides no strings attached for a few games

I am sure Eddie will give it 100% for the club ably assisted by Grant Murray

I liked his wee dig at Aberdeen diving and fouling and Celtic maybe having to give Scott Allan a game due to lack of numbers

Eddie May a star is born!

SquashedFrogg
05-02-2019, 06:44 PM
Thanks for the advice Doc

You're welcome. Glad to help.

Tornadoes70
05-02-2019, 06:47 PM

It'd be interesting to hear what the Scotland team felt when Levein sent them out without a forward line. 4-6-0 remember that awe inspiring set up?

Mon the Cabbage!!!

Smartie
05-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Yip! I think he has made it loud and clear he does not want the top job

No need to keep on reminding us

Most Coaches would give their eye teeth for a chance to select and manage a top Scottish Premiership side and pit their wits against other top Premiership sides no strings attached for a few games

I am sure Eddie will give it 100% for the club ably assisted by Grant Murray

I liked his wee dig at Aberdeen diving and fouling and Celtic maybe having to give Scott Allan a game due to lack of numbers

Eddie May a star is born!

He'll keep reminding us as long as he's being asked the question.

Eddie is a stand-in boss and he'll be doing as well as you would expect and stand-in boss to do.

As was mentioned above, if a player can't motivate himself to play against Celtic at Parkhead without a manager bawling at him or putting his arm around him then he shouldn't be at Hibs in the first place.

Our senior players will be earning their corn here too, providing guidance for those who need it.

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2019, 07:07 PM
He'll keep reminding us as long as he's being asked the question.

Eddie is a stand-in boss and he'll be doing as well as you would expect and stand-in boss to do.

As was mentioned above, if a player can't motivate himself to play against Celtic at Parkhead without a manager bawling at him or putting his arm around him then he shouldn't be at Hibs in the first place.

Our senior players will be earning their corn here too, providing guidance for those who need it.

Cannae argue with that Smartie my son!

green day
05-02-2019, 07:11 PM
I actually feel sorry for him. I would compare it to any line of work that we may do , imagine being a worker for an employer who suddenly suspends then pays off the manager and then being asked to run things and be answerable to everybody for performance , results and an insight to what has happened. I know that i wouldnt appreciate it too much and having no forward planning or preparation for the event would be a nightmare.

It's hardly unusual.
Happens loads in the finance industry. You get on with it, but you know you might only be in for short haul.

Billy Whizz
05-02-2019, 07:13 PM
Just watched Eddie’s interview, spoke mostly about how important it was to get the right new manager in, and just said many times how big a club Hibs are.
Few injuries for tomorrow, presume one is Bartley

Leith Green
05-02-2019, 07:20 PM
It's hardly unusual.
Happens loads in the finance industry. You get on with it, but you know you might only be in for short haul.

I would say its quite unusual to be honest. You may be comfortable being thrust into that situation, thats good for you. Others may be uncomfortable and find the situation awkward whilst getting on with it.

oneone73
05-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Just watched Eddie’s interview, spoke mostly about how important it was to get the right new manager in, and just said many times how big a club Hibs are.
Few injuries for tomorrow, presume one is Bartley

And SDG I would think.

Billy Whizz
05-02-2019, 07:23 PM
And SDG I would think.

Possibly him too, think Johnson can play right back

HibeesLA
05-02-2019, 07:25 PM

That's how I interpret the interview on Hibs TV. Especially when he says the following a couple of minutes later:

Interviewer: "and it'll be a relief to you to take a step back again will it?"

Eddie May: "Yes it will. Because.. I said to you on saturday, that you asked me a simple question 'what do I don't like' and it is the media. I don't sitting in front of cameras, don't like sitting in front of reporters. I feel more comfortable speaking to the players and developing football players, and which I've had a decent track record at."

erin go bragh
05-02-2019, 07:51 PM

You’ve never heard Derek Ferguson! But yes EM isn’t the most enthusiastic talker . Did play under Miller . We need someone in ASAP or the season is a busted flush .

Lago
05-02-2019, 08:00 PM
He is getting stick, along with everyone mentioned in connection with the Hibs vacancy. Ridiculclous.

tamig
05-02-2019, 08:58 PM

Even when he was in charge at Falkirk he sounded a right dullard and didn’t sound at all inspiring. As others have said though I guess its what he does on the training pitch and in the dressing room that counts.

Here’s Lucy!
06-02-2019, 04:48 PM

He said that years ago.

The question was 'would you sign for Hearts'?

:greengrin

wookie70
06-02-2019, 05:14 PM
I wonder in Murray was interested in the gig. If he was then why wouldn't he have got the caretaker job when May is clearly not wanting to do it.

overdrive
06-02-2019, 05:34 PM
I wonder in Murray was interested in the gig. If he was then why wouldn't he have got the caretaker job when May is clearly not wanting to do it.

I guess it is because May is more senior in the structure of the club. Murray reported into May, I think, in his original role at the club before Lennon promoted him. That promotion may be temporary like May’s involvement in the first team under Lennon and he might go back to his old role once the new guy is in.

Onion
06-02-2019, 05:37 PM
Thank his public comments and demenour about taking the first team duties will have been noted by Hibs Board and it will not have done him any favours. There are ways of discounting yourself from the top job without being a torn faced half wit, and suggesting he'd sooner be anywhere else than in the privileged position of working for the best football club in the world. Would be moving this guy on at the first opportunity.

Itsnoteasy
06-02-2019, 05:51 PM
If he is doing it in the dressing room then that's all the matters, he could be the most boring sounding man on the planet but if it's working at the training ground then who cares

Exactly Stevie Clark springs to mind.

Itsnoteasy
06-02-2019, 05:52 PM
Thank his public comments and demenour about taking the first team duties will have been noted by Hibs Board and it will not have done him any favours. There are ways of discounting yourself from the top job without being a torn faced half wit, and suggesting he'd sooner be anywhere else than in the privileged position of working for the best football club in the world. Would be moving this guy on at the first opportunity.

If that's the case why was Lennon no binned a long time ago.

BILLYHIBS
06-02-2019, 06:06 PM

In any other walk of life a line would go through his name with regard to possible future promotion through a perceived lack of ambition but Eddie is happy just to beaver away quietly in the background doing what he does best but hey every company needs good loyal foot soldiers

All the best tonight Eddie

malcolm
06-02-2019, 06:23 PM

He has been quite refreshingly straightforward and with a bit of deadpan humour at the expense of Aberdeen and celtc. He answered repeated questions about his desire to take the job permanently and also in response to a question made clear he did not like the press work.

He is among what might be a small group of those who supported, played for and managed the club. He sure does not deserve stick and being called a half wit for stepping in when asked. Nor am I sure exactly what board favours he has lost by not behaving in front of the Press like a performing Mr Jolly! :wink:

superfurryhibby
06-02-2019, 06:35 PM
Man’s just postponed surgery to be in the dug out tonight, that’s commitment for you:greengrin

DaveF
06-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Well having just heard him, I take back my earlier opinion. He was upbeat and said all the right things.

Apologies Eddie.