PDA

View Full Version : Squad Fillers

belhavenbill
04-02-2019, 05:00 PM
While watching the warm up on Saturday I was aware for the first time in a while of Nelom and thinking that every season we have at least one guy who has been brought into the squad, perhaps to cover potential injury or supposedly to bring a new option whom we all know will be lucky to get 5 minutes when we’re being thrashed or conversely when we’re winning comfortably ( remember that feeling?). All clubs have players like this who fill out the numbers, players who even if the team were to be struck with bubonic plague wouldn’t get a game.i know we have had them but they have drifted out of my memory. Can you think of any from past seasons? And have any of them gone on to great things rather than disappearing or descending into mediocrity?

HoboHarry
04-02-2019, 05:02 PM
My wife fills squash all the time, usually with Quinoa and vegetables or some other such muck but I avoid it like the black death.

belhavenbill
04-02-2019, 05:04 PM
My wife fills squash all the time, usually with Quinoa and vegetables or some other such muck but I avoid it like the black death.
Hope she was more successful than I was!

Smartie
04-02-2019, 05:23 PM
The problem I have with our squad at present is that I look at every single one of them as a squad filler.

At the game at the weekend I was asking myself how many of our players I thought would be around in 2 years time? When we were relegated I thought Stubbs was spot on with the players he held onto after relegation to stick around and win the cup 2 years later.

At the moment we have a huge collection of short-term squad fillers who won't be here behind the summer, players who will be over the hill in 2 years, players who will undoubtedly have itchy feet and want to move on in 2 years and talented youngsters who will have moved on to bigger clubs within 2 years.

I wouldn't mind betting that the only players who will still be with Hibs in 2 years time who played on Saturday will be Oli Shaw and, er, that's it. Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon may still be with us in mainly a coaching capacity as they wind down their playing careers. Mallan will probably still be bewildering us, showing us flashes as we debate whether to offer him a new contract or let him go for nowt. he might even have been out on loan a couple of times by then.

The rest will be gone.

That is why I think we need to have a long, hard look at what our recruitment strategy has been over the past 3 years.

hibbymark
04-02-2019, 06:39 PM
The problem I have with our squad at present is that I look at every single one of them as a squad filler.

At the game at the weekend I was asking myself how many of our players I thought would be around in 2 years time? When we were relegated I thought Stubbs was spot on with the players he held onto after relegation to stick around and win the cup 2 years later.

At the moment we have a huge collection of short-term squad fillers who won't be here behind the summer, players who will be over the hill in 2 years, players who will undoubtedly have itchy feet and want to move on in 2 years and talented youngsters who will have moved on to bigger clubs within 2 years.

I wouldn't mind betting that the only players who will still be with Hibs in 2 years time who played on Saturday will be Oli Shaw and, er, that's it. Lewis Stevenson and Paul Hanlon may still be with us in mainly a coaching capacity as they wind down their playing careers. Mallan will probably still be bewildering us, showing us flashes as we debate whether to offer him a new contract or let him go for nowt. he might even have been out on loan a couple of times by then.

The rest will be gone.

That is why I think we need to have a long, hard look at what our recruitment strategy has been over the past 3 years.

So you think Paul Hanlon who turns 31 in January 2021 will be winding down his career and coaching?
Im hoping that if he’s still with us in 2 years that as a Centre half he’s at his peak . Christophe Berra as a case in point is currently 34.

BSEJVT
04-02-2019, 06:47 PM
So you think Paul Hanlon who turns 31 in January 2021 will be winding down his career and coaching?
Im hoping that if he’s still with us in 2 years that as a Centre half he’s at his peak . Christophe Berra as a case in point is currently 34.

I am a big Paul Hanlon fan but I think he has been absolutely rotten this year.

My hope is that this a blip caused by the injury that kept him out for a while and maybe settling down to parenthood rather than a return to the bad old days leading up to relegation.
I think its the former but if its the latter there is no way he will be here in 2 years

If we are Hibs will have gone backwards massively as right now he isn't worth his place in the team.

DetroitHibs
04-02-2019, 06:52 PM
I am a big Paul Hanlon fan but I think he has been absolutely rotten this year.

My hope is that this a blip caused by the injury that kept him out for a while and maybe settling down to parenthood rather than a return to the bad old days leading up to relegation.
I think its the former but if its the latter there is no way he will be here in 2 years

If we are Hibs will have gone backwards massively as right now he isn't worth his place in the team.

Tend to agree. Last season he was being touted by us for a Scotland call up, this season he's regressed to the old soft Paul Hanlon.

Smartie
04-02-2019, 07:31 PM
Hanlon's having his worst run of form since he broke through.

I always thought the criticism of him was harsh. For the years prior to and straight after relegation he played some great stuff and last season was his best ever.

He's been hopeless this season compared to what he is capable of. I hope it is just a dodgy run of form (which can happen to any player) but he's had a few injuries in his career and this season - I just hope those aren't catching up with him.

Hanlon should be at his peak right now and he is not, for whatever reason.

Hopefully he will raise his game and be as important a player in a couple of years as you think. He's one of the players who concerns me most right now though.

Famous Fiver
04-02-2019, 07:48 PM
Pre game Gauld, Nelom, Biginarama and Omeonga were playing keepie uppy in a foursome. The ball didn't touch the ground for at least 5 minutes. Lots of it one touch.

Pretty impressive. Did anyone else see it?

Heckys Wheel
04-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Tend to agree. Last season he was being touted by us for a Scotland call up, this season he's regressed to the old soft Paul Hanlon.

Said the same the other day. He was on the cusp of the Scotland squad and has literally played himself out of contention.

If the lad from Leicester is up here to play, get him in and give Hanlon a rest.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-02-2019, 05:20 AM

The rest will be gone.

You mean the strategy that resulted in cup finals, the Scottish Cup, promotion and the longest run in Europe for a generation?

How u measuring success? Are we not turning the dial to blending in development team members?

What if the recruitment of keepers something to be lauded Shirley after waiting in decent keepers since Andersson left?

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2019, 06:07 AM
Big Dave

Felt sorry for the big guy never really got a chance

Signed as Slivkas mate I think

In fairness anytime he did get on did not look particularly mobile

His YouTube video was good looked a world beater. :greengrin

HUTCHYHIBBY
05-02-2019, 06:12 AM
Pre game Gauld, Nelom, Biginarama and Omeonga were playing keepie uppy in a foursome. The ball didn't touch the ground for at least 5 minutes. Lots of it one touch.

Which helps with what once the ref blows his whistle to start the match?

worcesterhibby
05-02-2019, 08:19 AM

The rest will be gone.

I disagree.

Goalies: We have two exceptional goalies at the moment, I hope we can hold onto them, but if we don't it will be because the recruitment team found such excellent players and they will go on to play for higher rewards.

DEFENCE: Whittaker and McGregor won't be first team players in 2 years, but as long as they avoid injury, Sir David (30) and Hanlon (also 30) should still be playing. Lewis may be 32, but he is so fit and has had a fairly injury free career, so I would expect him to carry on until he is 34-35. Porteous will be in the team or will be gone for very good money (assuming his knee recovers). Nelom I agree is unlikely to still be with us.

Midfield: We have issues in Midfield, replacing McGinn, Allan and Dylan was an impossible task with our budget. Thankfully from next season we have Allan back - He is 27 and I think he will see out the rest of his career at Hibs. Gauld has tremendous technical ability, if we get the right manager in and we play to his strengths then he will be a asset for sure, I'm hoping to see him in a green jersey for a good few years. Mallan is frustrating, but I honestly think he has been mis-managed. His set peices and ability to pick a pass at the top end of the park are invaluable, he has more assists this season than anyone else and more goals as well. get the management right and he will deliver. Boyle will be back next season and will terrify defenders again. Horgan will be utilised on the left and with Scott Allan beside him he will flourish. Milligan will go at the end of the season I suspect. Slivka will stay as a squad player so we can put him in the team against the Old Firm..as he always scores against them. the rest are loanees anyway apart from Bartley..who I love.

Up front..Flo will get 30 goals next season, Oli shaw is basically going to be the Scottish Teddy Sherringham and if we can buy McNulty at the end of the season he will become a Hibs legend.

Right...so what are you worried about ??

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2019, 08:54 AM
I disagree.

Goalies: We have two exceptional goalies at the moment, I hope we can hold onto them, but if we don't it will be because the recruitment team found such excellent players and they will go on to play for higher rewards.

DEFENCE: Whittaker and McGregor won't be first team players in 2 years, but as long as they avoid injury, Sir David (30) and Hanlon (also 30) should still be playing. Lewis may be 32, but he is so fit and has had a fairly injury free career, so I would expect him to carry on until he is 34-35. Porteous will be in the team or will be gone for very good money (assuming his knee recovers). Nelom I agree is unlikely to still be with us.

Midfield: We have issues in Midfield, replacing McGinn, Allan and Dylan was an impossible task with our budget. Thankfully from next season we have Allan back - He is 27 and I think he will see out the rest of his career at Hibs. Gauld has tremendous technical ability, if we get the right manager in and we play to his strengths then he will be a asset for sure, I'm hoping to see him in a green jersey for a good few years. Mallan is frustrating, but I honestly think he has been mis-managed. His set peices and ability to pick a pass at the top end of the park are invaluable, he has more assists this season than anyone else and more goals as well. get the management right and he will deliver. Boyle will be back next season and will terrify defenders again. Horgan will be utilised on the left and with Scott Allan beside him he will flourish. Milligan will go at the end of the season I suspect. Slivka will stay as a squad player so we can put him in the team against the Old Firm..as he always scores against them. the rest are loanees anyway apart from Bartley..who I love.

Up front..Flo will get 30 goals next season, Oli shaw is basically going to be the Scottish Teddy Sherringham and if we can buy McNulty at the end of the season he will become a Hibs legend.

It will be interesting to see what a new Manager makes of our squad

Rocky is a brilliant instinctive goalkeeper but still makes too many mistakes for me and his kicking is woeful

He has also been linked to a return to Israel a few times

Bogdan edges it but he is Lennys man and unlikely we would be able to afford him should he decide to stay

Ideally I would like to see us add a young right back and a centre back as cover and a box to box midfielder

Depending on how Marc McNulty shapes up we may have to look for another striker as we would be unlikely to be able to afford Readings asking price of 750k unless a deal within our budget can be agreed

A lot depends on the new Manager as he will have his own thoughts and contacts and may hopefully bring in a couple of decent new recruits there is also the availability of funds as a bottom six finish may result in a fall in ST revenue

Itsnoteasy
05-02-2019, 09:24 AM

Never seen it. But it would be nothing like Dougie Bells pre match keepie uppie.
For ten minutes i would just be mesmerized watching him.

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2019, 09:34 AM
Never seen it. But it would be nothing like Dougie Bells pre match keepie uppie.
For ten minutes i would just be mesmerized watching him.

Sloop John B was good for the prematch warm keepy uppy but king of the warm up has to be Budgie

https://youtu.be/BRulE9858eE

Mibbes Aye
05-02-2019, 04:31 PM
I disagree.

Interesting comment about Lewis.

Ashley Cole has just moved to Derby at the age of 38. While he may not have come across as the nicest of guys in his career, there’s no doubting his fitness levels and that’s taking into account at least a couple of nasty injuries.

If Lewis wants it and if he avoids a career-ender then I can see him going on for a good few years at a decent enough level. His pace will gradually give way to his reading of the game but I don’t think his stamina and core fitness levels will fade quickly.

Smartie
05-02-2019, 11:34 PM
Interesting comment about Lewis.

Ashley Cole has just moved to Derby at the age of 38. While he may not have come across as the nicest of guys in his career, there’s no doubting his fitness levels and that’s taking into account at least a couple of nasty injuries.

If Lewis wants it and if he avoids a career-ender then I can see him going on for a good few years at a decent enough level. His pace will gradually give way to his reading of the game but I don’t think his stamina and core fitness levels will fade quickly.

Whilst not as old as Cole, Alan Hutton is getting rave reviews about his fitness levels at Villa. His pace hasn't diminished as he has passed 30 and moved on s good bit beyond that.

I wonder if it sometimes desire that goes in players as much as the legs? Maybe players could play longer if they wanted to continue to make the sacrifices required to stay at peak fitness but they simply don't want to any more?

Might explain Tudor Jones' comments a while back. Maybe his head had gone more than his legs?

Mibbes Aye
06-02-2019, 12:00 AM
Whilst not as old as Cole, Alan Hutton is getting rave reviews about his fitness levels at Villa. His pace hasn't diminished as he has passed 30 and moved on s good bit beyond that.

I wonder if it sometimes desire that goes in players as much as the legs? Maybe players could play longer if they wanted to continue to make the sacrifices required to stay at peak fitness but they simply don't want to any more?

Might explain Tudor Jones' comments a while back. Maybe his head had gone more than his legs?

That’s interesting.

Stevenson certainly shows an indefatigable attitude and I don’t recall any gossip about his lifestyle compromising his playing effectiveness, ever.

Scouse Hibee
06-02-2019, 08:36 AM
It feels like some just fill the shirt anyway.

J-C
06-02-2019, 12:22 PM
Collins was instrumental in Stevensons career, Lewis loved Collins attitude to healthy living and a professional attitude, you can see why so many managers have played him so regularly.