PDA

View Full Version : John Doolan anybody?

ozwoody
03-02-2019, 08:06 PM
I see he has been mentioned as a possible manager.
I think it's not a bad call as he was credited with being as important as AS during his time here and is doing a great job as assistant at Accrington Stanley.
His reaction at full time after the cup final shows what the club meant to him and I think it would be a great fit for both parties.
Thoughts?

cam2644
03-02-2019, 08:10 PM
Certainly worth serious consideration

Billy Whizz
03-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Certainly worth serious consideration

Why hasn’t he been a Head Coach:Manager somewhere else?

ozwoody
03-02-2019, 08:26 PM

Great question,could be various reasons:
He wanted to learn his trade as assistant, clubs not willing to take a punt due to the manager merry go round in UK, who knows.
We have had shockers in charge that have been head coaches/managers before and they haven't set the world on fire though.
No idea if he's interested or hibs have sounded him out, just read the report and thought it was a not bad call, even till end of season, a trial period if you will

neil7908
03-02-2019, 08:26 PM
Would be very sceptical about that

The Harp Awakes
03-02-2019, 08:35 PM
A very popular guy with the Hibs support and a big reason why Stubbs' reign was a success.

It could be a great appointment, but a bit risky due to him never being a Manager in his own right. Definitely worth consideration.

greiggy
03-02-2019, 08:35 PM
I’d like to see Stubbs and Doolan back as they made a good team and made Hibs a good team.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoltonHibee
03-02-2019, 08:43 PM

He’s a great coach.... not a no.1 not a manager ( or head coach)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Greenworld
04-02-2019, 06:49 AM
As strachans assistant yes please

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

DetroitHibs
04-02-2019, 06:59 AM
I don't want to go back to the Stubbs era and Doolan hasn't done anything that warrants consideration for the head coach/managers role.

The 90+2
04-02-2019, 01:21 PM
Too much of a risk in his own right for me. We need experience.

Northernhibee
04-02-2019, 03:55 PM
Too much of a risk in his own right for me. We need experience.
Our best recent managers have been inexperienced (Mowbray, Stubbs), our worst experienced (Butcher, Calderwood). If a manager is experienced and within our price range there’s a reason for it usually.

Worth interviewing to see his ideas for the team and judging on that.

WeeRussell
04-02-2019, 05:51 PM
He comes across as a good bloke and a passionate, loyal football guy. However I’d be surprised if as many posters on hibs.net actually know he has the credentials to even be considered, as it appears.

HoboHarry
04-02-2019, 05:54 PM
He’s a great coach.... not a no.1 not a manager ( or head coach)

Based on what other than your opinion?

BSEJVT
04-02-2019, 05:57 PM
If we want to go around employing good lads then Doolan is worth a shout but so are probably 10,000 other Hibs supporters.

Would be a huge punt and IMO this is one appointment the board need to get right.

I think in many ways we are teetering on the precipice right now and it could go either way.

IMO the squad requires massive overhaul as too many guys are reaching / past their sell buy dates and too many others aren't of the required standard.

Its a great pity that Boyle and Porteous are both injured as opposed to virtually any other 2 players in the squad as we miss their brashness and athleticism

Its all a bit dull, one paced and uninspiring at the moment.

BoltonHibee
04-02-2019, 06:11 PM
Based on what other than your opinion?

You are quite right that is my opinion. If you speak to people involved in football, I think you’d find the same answer 9 times out of 10. ( that know him)As I said, he is known to be a great coach, a great man but just not the leader that a team requires.

Tha Cabbage Kid
04-02-2019, 06:27 PM
I think we should get ourselves an experienced manager who likes attractive football and is good at developing youth. Apart from Lennon I can't think of a past manager who had reasonable amount of experience before taking on the Hibs job

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

Hibbyradge
04-02-2019, 06:30 PM
I think we should get ourselves an experienced manager who likes attractive football and is good at developing youth. Apart from Lennon I can't think of a past manager who had reasonable amount of experience before taking on the Hibs job

Butcher?

Pat Fenlon had years of experience managing in Ireland.

McLeish was experienced as was Jim Duffy.

John Hughes and Tommy Craig too.

Hibees1973
04-02-2019, 06:31 PM
[QUOTE=greiggy;5696550]I’d like to see Stubbs and Doolan back as they made a good team and made Hibs a good team.

I agree with you and it’s not just sentimental.

I’m not too enthused by the names I have seen so far. Some of them represent a bigger risk than the Stubbs/Dolan partnership.

However, given the Lennon debacle I can see Hibs going with an unknown or someone with no track record.

Tha Cabbage Kid
04-02-2019, 06:47 PM
Hughes was only at Falkirk so not a lot of experience, again McLeish was only at well and Butcher was a fud so he is excluded in the debate. [emoji16]

Northernhibee
04-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Hughes was only at Falkirk so not a lot of experience, again McLeish was only at well and Butcher was a fud so he is excluded in the debate. [emoji16]

So if you exclude the two who had experience and the one we're discounting just because, none of them count?

The 90+2
04-02-2019, 07:24 PM
So if you exclude the two who had experience and the one we're discounting just because, none of them count?

I feel we need someone in proven to build a team/squad at the movement. Like I said perhaps Doolan number 2 to Strachan? We have a good few players on long term contracts also, need a man manager to get the best of these guys.

Northernhibee
04-02-2019, 07:29 PM
I feel we need someone in proven to build a team/squad at the movement. Like I said perhaps Doolan number 2 to Strachan? We have a good few players on long term contracts also, need a man manager to get the best of these guys.

I can think of a chap to work with Doolan who ticks all those boxes. His name rhymes with Balan Stubbs.

The 90+2
04-02-2019, 07:30 PM
I can think of a chap to work with Doolan who ticks all those boxes. His name rhymes with Balan Stubbs.

👍😂

southsider
04-02-2019, 09:37 PM
👍😂

What about JD with Daz ?

Northernhibee
04-02-2019, 09:44 PM
What about JD with Daz ?

Daz will get the kits nice and clean and the greens will stay green and the whites white.

No doubt Petrie won't show ambition and we'll be stuck with Lidl own brand detergent instead :grr:

HibeeHibernian4
04-02-2019, 09:58 PM
I don't want to go back to the Stubbs era and Doolan hasn't done anything that warrants consideration for the head coach/managers role.

Yes I would hate to go back to the era of attractive attacking football, regular Hampden appearances and a Scottish Cup wins.

The 90+2
04-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Yes I would hate to go back to the era of attractive attacking football, regular Hampden appearances and a Scottish Cup wins.

Sounds rubbish eh? Add in signing players like Allan Mcgeouch and McGinn and developing them, why oh why would we want to return to they bad old days of actually looking forward to going to the games again.

HibeeHibernian4
04-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Sounds rubbish eh? Add in signing players like Allan Mcgeouch and McGinn and developing them, why oh why would we want to return to they bad old days of actually looking forward to going to the games again.

Ah, but you see, they didn't have the winning mentality that our pal "Lenny" has. That's why we won the Championship with a whole extra one point more than we got under Stubbs and Doolan. And that's why we won all those cups under Lennon that we couldn't have dreamt of winning under Stubbs.

Hi Heid Yin
04-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Ah, but you see, they didn't have the winning mentality that our pal "Lenny" has. That's why we won the Championship with a whole extra one point more than we got under Stubbs and Doolan. And that's why we won all those cups under Lennon that we couldn't have dreamt of winning under Stubbs.

:yawn::yawn:

One Day Soon
04-02-2019, 10:22 PM
Ffs

OsloHibs
Yes.

Hibbyradge
I can't see it being Stubbs.

He left us for Rotherham. The reasons for his departure are a matter of speculation.

However,, he failed there then got hunted early from St Mirren.

If we're interviewing other candidates, I very much doubt we're looking at AS.

HibeeHibernian4
04-02-2019, 10:32 PM
:yawn::yawn:

If Stubbs and Doolan get (completely unjustifiably) slated by a nonsense post, then what's your objection to me pointing out that he was, measurably, more successful of a Hibs manager than Lennon was?

The 90+2
04-02-2019, 10:37 PM

He left us for Rotherham. The reasons for his departure are a matter of speculation.

I can see this being the case now too, unfortunately.

Hi Heid Yin
04-02-2019, 11:43 PM
If Stubbs and Doolan get (completely unjustifiably) slated by a nonsense post, then what's your objection to me pointing out that he was, measurably, more successful of a Hibs manager than Lennon was?

Nothing personal, but the same points about Lennon have been made in numerous other threads and I just happened to stumble on your post and allowed myself a wee yawn.
:wink:

BSEJVT
05-02-2019, 06:33 AM
Nothing personal, but the same points about Lennon have been made in numerous other threads and I just happened to stumble on your post and allowed myself a wee yawn.
:wink:

And there is a nutshell is what's wrong with internet debate and it is something we are all guilty of.

It is all right for folk to advance their own point of view ad nauseum and they think that folk are interested in hearing it, but the minute someone makes a conflicting point of view it is boring etc etc.

Such a response is an absolute waste of bandwidth.

Either debate the point or let it go.

All such a response does is irritate folk unnecessarily, clogs up the thread and makes the reader think what an arse the poster that did it is.

We all do it, have all done it and will probably all continue to do it, but it adds absolutely nothing to the debate.

Fwiw I agree with the point the poster was making, it is a reasonable point, it is sad that the debate of Lennon's tenure is becoming so polarised between great and awful.

IMO there were passages of both during it, but more than ever the narrative before during and after it was heavily influenced by the media waxing lyrical over Lennon at every juncture.

This in itself is a bit of a phenomenon given he is marmite to the rest of Scottish Football supporters, with most disliking him.

One thing Neil Lennon was very good at was in using the press to his advantage and its certainly helping promote his legacy and the supposed unfairness of his sacking now

jacomo
05-02-2019, 07:11 AM

I think this needs to stop.

If there are matters outside football, they are for Alan and his family. No need for Hibs fans to be gossiping over the garden fence.

Liam978
05-02-2019, 10:02 AM
I can see this being the case now too, unfortunately.

It seems so yes, although it would be a no brainer to have him back till the end of the season just to steady the ship. He knows the club most of the staff, and has a feel good connection with the fans. Then during the close season , big decision time no.

green with envy
05-02-2019, 03:08 PM

Don't you mean Dylan McGeouch? :agree:

The 90+2
05-02-2019, 03:10 PM
Don't you mean Dylan McGeouch? :agree:

:tee hee:

Hibbyradge
05-02-2019, 03:22 PM
I think this needs to stop.

If there are matters outside football, they are for Alan and his family. No need for Hibs fans to be gossiping over the garden fence.

:hmmm:

I agree with your sentiments, but speculation about the private lives of public figures will never stop.

Whether it's Alan Stubbs, Graeme Rix, Neil Lennon or Paul Gasgoine people are going to tittle-tattle. And when it comes to a juicy sex rumour, it'll spread like wildfire.

ben johnson
05-02-2019, 03:59 PM
If we bring up a manager from England who had no experience of Scottish football then perhaps JD alongside him may help the new man settle in I know most managers have their own backroom staff favourites but if it was made clear at the interview this was Hibs preferred option it might just be acceptable to the new man
I was looking at the list of directors and backroom staff we have at the club and one more might not make much of a difference to the wage bill
A wee lift for the fans at season ticket renewal time also.

Rumble de Thump
05-02-2019, 04:43 PM

I agree with your sentiments, but speculation about the private lives of public figures will never stop.

Whether it's Alan Stubbs, Graeme Rix, Neil Lennon or Paul Gasgoine people are going to tittle-tattle. And when it comes to a juicy sex rumour, it'll spread like wildfire.

On an individual basis grown ups are able to refrain from libelling people rather than choose to do it then make excuses for it.

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2019, 04:56 PM
Doolan’s only popular cause he invited a few Hibbies back to ER on the night of the cup win.

If it wasn’t for that nobody would have remembered him!

Billy Whizz
05-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Doolan’s only popular cause he invited a few Hibbies back to ER on the night of the cup win.

You obviously didn’t see him celebrate our winner that day😄

The 90+2
05-02-2019, 05:07 PM

Who do you suggest then? Didn’t his dad pass away yet he still turned up against Falkirk in the playoffs? He got the club big time.

Perhaps time to turn on some soothing music light some candles and get over Lennon leaving. He’s gone. He will be remembered for winding up the huns more than anything.

jacomo
05-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Two of those names (the ones not connected to Hibs) were convicted of crimes relating to their behaviour. A wee bit different.

Lennon had that mental kiss’n’tell story doing the rounds when he was appointed, but it faded away.

Stubbs may or may not have been banging the physio but if it didn’t affect their professional duties it’s nothing for us or the club to worry about.

ben johnson
05-02-2019, 05:08 PM

Well I remember him coming over to the fans after the replay at ICT and he was going tonto

The 90+2
05-02-2019, 05:10 PM
Two of those names (the ones not connected to Hibs) were convicted of crimes relating to their behaviour. A wee bit different.

Lennon had that mental kiss’n’tell story doing the rounds when he was appointed, but it faded away.

Stubbs may or may not have been banging the physio but if it didn’t affect their professional duties it’s nothing for us or the club to worry about.

What Kiss and Tell?

Lennon got suspended from Bolton for threatening to kill some lady on the side of the girl on the side of his wife. He apologised for it also so it’s actual facts.

Viva_Palmeiras
05-02-2019, 05:27 PM

Did you just tune out from the Hibs support around the Scottish Cup victory? Like not read any reports watch the DVD? perhaps you were kidnapped or washed up on a desert island?

Probably the most disconnected post I’ve read around the SC. You still bothering?

HibeeHibernian4
05-02-2019, 06:13 PM

I hope this is meant humorously. Because if it's meant sincerely then it's downright insulting.

Read this article and maybe you'll start to understand the sheer emotion that John Doolan poured into this club and the love that he felt back from it in a time of deep loss and grieving for himself personally: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-coach-john-doolan-dedicates-victory-to-late-father-1-4134928

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2019, 07:02 PM
Did you just tune out from the Hibs support around the Scottish Cup victory? Like not read any reports watch the DVD? perhaps you were kidnapped or washed up on a desert island?

Probably the most disconnected post I’ve read around the SC. You still bothering?

Thats kinda my point. He’s popular cause of the chat and celebrations etc.

Bothering about what?

WhileTheChief..
05-02-2019, 07:03 PM
Who do you suggest then? Didn’t his dad pass away yet he still turned up against Falkirk in the playoffs? He got the club big time.

Perhaps time to turn on some soothing music light some candles and get over Lennon leaving. He’s gone. He will be remembered for winding up the huns more than anything.

I’ve not mentioned Lennon in days, well over it.

Unseen work
05-02-2019, 11:28 PM

Got to agree with you here.

I can’t remember anyone seriously mentioning him until after the cup final win and the dvd coming out.

Came across brilliantly but to give him the managers job? No thanks

Not doubting his love or enthusiasm for the club. But folk seem to have a fantasy about him ever since the dvd

Tornadoes70
05-02-2019, 11:39 PM
Doolan's a great guy, 100% top man, however, he wasn't in the top 10 candidates. There's some re al bs being spouted on here and elsewhere.

@Love John Doolan, Great Guy maybe one day who knows?

Not for now though.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

The 90+2
05-02-2019, 11:40 PM

I can’t remember anyone seriously mentioning him until after the cup final win and the dvd coming out.

Not doubting his love or enthusiasm for the club. But folk seem to have a fantasy about him ever since the dvd

I’m sorry but go and just read this before the cup final.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/archives/football/158126/alan-stubbs-i-would-love-to-win-this-cup-for-johns-dad/

The 90+2
05-02-2019, 11:42 PM
I’ve not mentioned Lennon in days, well over it.

Good man. We move on, supporting our football club.

monktonharp
05-02-2019, 11:44 PM
Too much of a risk in his own right for me. We need experience.we thought that way back, with Mowbray. Difference is, Doolan is a Hibbie at heart. Scouser, yeah but his period at ER alongside big Stubbsy was fantastic in the end. I personally think he has what it takes to manage men, and get the best from them .hope he's a serious contender.dont rule him out, they all eventually have to go their own way and I think he is almost at that point.

monktonharp
05-02-2019, 11:53 PM

If it wasn’t for that nobody would have remembered him!right then. that must be why I, along with others do remember him. did he not have a tracksuit on, at most games while encouraging and urging players to actually play fitba' during his period with us? I could be wrong

The 90+2
06-02-2019, 12:03 AM
we thought that way back, with Mowbray. Difference is, Doolan is a Hibbie at heart. Scouser, yeah but his period at ER alongside big Stubbsy was fantastic in the end. I personally think he has what it takes to manage men, and get the best from them .hope he's a serious contender.dont rule him out, they all eventually have to go their own way and I think he is almost at that point.

Mate, don’t get me wrong and knowing where your bus goes:used to (I don’t know) I think you have had a pint or two with Stubbs and Doolan over that hotel next to the college and if we appointed John Doolan tomorrow (it’s annoying the France out me nobody even says his Christian name) I would back him. I don’t feel at this time though he is the right fit to take us forward as a head coach though.

monktonharp
06-02-2019, 12:04 AM

Not doubting his love or enthusiasm for the club. But folk seem to have a fantasy about him ever since the dvdok, but after our cup final defeat against Ross County, and after qualifying for another cup final weeks later, it was said in our local.....we wont be coming back here without the cup. his words, not mine.I'd be delighted if a guy like that gets the job. end off.

monktonharp
06-02-2019, 12:06 AM
Mate, don’t get me wrong and knowing where your bus goes:used to (I don’t know) I think you have had a pint or two with Stubbs and Doolan over that hotel next to the college and if we appointed John Doolan tomorrow (it’s annoying the France out me nobody even says his Christian name) I would back him. I don’t feel at this time though he is the right fit to take us forward as a head coach though.point taken. see below.

The 90+2
06-02-2019, 12:06 AM
ok, but after our cup final defeat against Ross County, and after qualifying for another cup final weeks later, it was said in our local.....we wont be coming back here without the cup. his words, not mine.I'd be delighted if a guy like that gets the job. end off.

Confirms I know you. Top man 👍

See your point too mate.

monktonharp
06-02-2019, 12:08 AM
above:greengrin

Unseen work
06-02-2019, 12:09 AM
I’m sorry but go and just read this before the cup final.
https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/archives/football/158126/alan-stubbs-i-would-love-to-win-this-cup-for-johns-dad/

A real shame and showed unbelievable commitment to come to the game the following day after such a massive loss.

However that’s not a reason for him to get the managers job imo.

He was well liked within the team and fans thought highly of him especially after the commitment and passion he showed.

I just don’t think he should be manager.

If we never won the Scottish Cup and see what followed after I don’t think he would be on so many fans minds

Viva_Palmeiras
06-02-2019, 04:48 AM
A real shame and showed unbelievable commitment to come to the game the following day after such a massive loss.

However that’s not a reason for him to get the managers job imo.

He was well liked within the team and fans thought highly of him especially after the commitment and passion he showed.

I just don’t think he should be manager.

If we never won the Scottish Cup and see what followed after I don’t think he would be on so many fans minds

Fair enough do you think others are being sentimental in their judgement?
What’s your rationale ?
Upshot is fit will be part of if and if He’s applied will rate highly on that front but it’s that and other attributes that he and others would be judged on.