PDA

View Full Version : 1 win in 13 league games

Winston Ingram
03-02-2019, 12:13 PM
...when we’ve played 3 at the back.

That win was on the opening day against Motherwell. Wtf do we keep playing this formation?

We score less and concede more.

When I saw the team yesterday I really considered just staying in the pub as I knew how it would pan out. We’d create nothing and defend terribly.

Do we not have stats guys to tell our managers this?

SON OF PADDY
03-02-2019, 12:16 PM

That win was on the opening day against Motherwell. Wtf do we keep playing this formation?

When I saw the team yesterday I really considered just staying in the pub as I knew how it would pan out. We’d create nothing and defend terribly.

We don't have a manager !

GreenCastle
03-02-2019, 12:17 PM
Did anyone ask Eddie May why he changed it ? Surely a journalist should be asking eh question ?

I’m not sure why we changed it yesterday.

We could still have 2 up front with a 4-4-2 diamond but 3-5-2 allowed GMS to run riot between Stevenson and Hanlon and I don’t think Milligan was needed. He reminded me of Liam Craig getting on the ball - slowing things down and getting in the way. Yes he got some nice passes 2nd half but he made McGregor and Hanlon play worse.

flash
03-02-2019, 12:59 PM
It was Milligan to blame for Hanlon and McGregor playing like Laurel and Hardy? Ludicrous.

Doh Rae Me
03-02-2019, 01:08 PM
It was Milligan to blame for Hanlon and McGregor playing like Laurel and Hardy? Ludicrous.

Please edit out Laurel and hardy, the best double act the world has ever seen, and insert the chuckle brothers.

Northernhibee
03-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Please edit out Laurel and hardy, the best double act the world has ever seen, and insert the chuckle brothers.
Yes, let’s bicker over how to slag off two of our players who have been great servants to the club. :rolleyes:

Zazu62
03-02-2019, 01:18 PM
Yip as soon as I seen the 3 at the back I knew we weren’t going to keep a clean sheet tbh

wookie70
03-02-2019, 01:18 PM
It makes no sense. Surely in this day and age when stats are kept on everything managers look to see how successful their decisions have been. I bet most Hibs fans would have got pretty close to guessing that stat just from our reactions when Lennon or May has laid the team out like that. It makes even less sense with no midfield runners, two wing backs who are recovering from injury and Marv who generally patrols right in front of the centre halves. The formation played like it looked on paper, no width going forward, little protection out wide for our wingbacks and everyone tripping over each other and leaving it to someone else in the middle.

We look a shambles with 3 at the back and that is only made worse with Efe going. He at least gave us the opportunity to get one of those centre halves out of defence and give the opposition something to think about. Hanlon used to be excellent at that too but he looks a shadow of his former self most likely due to injury or recovery from injury.
I imagine a new manager would look back on this season's starting line ups and come to the conclusion that most fans did a long while back, 4 at the back, diamond with Mallan or Gauld at the tip and two up top. No formation will solve our lack of pace and lack of legs so that will have to wait until next season.

Weegreenman
03-02-2019, 01:43 PM

The two of those guys have been underperforming. Loads of excuses being used to defend them but ultimately it doesn’t change the fact that they are now considered weak links by our opponents. Some fresh faces in our defence next season would get a big thumbs up from me :aok: It’s just a pity Milligan is at the end of his career. He looked so comfortable on the ball. Had a really competent game in my view.

Onion
03-02-2019, 01:48 PM

That's got to be rubbish as clubs have access to stats like that and no manager would continue to play a formation that virtually guaranteed a loss - unless they wanted the sack or had a bet on the other team :confused:

Winston Ingram
03-02-2019, 04:58 PM
That's got to be rubbish as clubs have access to stats like that and no manager would continue to play a formation that virtually guaranteed a loss - unless they wanted the sack or had a bet on the other team :confused:

It’s not.

Motherwell h 3-2
St Johnstone a 1-1
Aberdeen 1-1
Livi a 1-2
Celtic a 2-4
Hearts a 0-0
Dundee H 2-2
Aberdeen a 0-1
Kilmarnock a 0-3
Livi h 1-1
Sevco a 1-1
Hearts h 0-1
Aberdeen h 1-2

W1 D 6 L 6

neil7908
03-02-2019, 05:08 PM
It’s not.

Motherwell h 3-2
St Johnstone a 1-1
Aberdeen 1-1
Livi a 1-2
Celtic a 2-4
Hearts a 0-0
Dundee H 2-2
Aberdeen a 0-1
Kilmarnock a 0-3
Livi h 1-1
Sevco a 1-1
Hearts h 0-1
Aberdeen h 1-2

W1 D 6 L 6

That's staggering. Going 4-4-2 won't instantly solve our problems but 3-5-2 simply doesn't work with these group of players.

tonyrougier123
03-02-2019, 05:15 PM

Our defence is a calamity at the moment,paul hanlon is throwing games in his current form.poor stuff from a player who looked fully composed last season.despite what formation we play canny drop him just now.so unless he rediscovers form and tightens up ,stops giving the ball and needlessly givin fouls away,our recent performances will continue.no compsure in the team.

Jim44
03-02-2019, 05:27 PM

Your ‘anorak’ attention to detail probably doesn’t occur to our coaching staff. Maybe it should. I don’t know if such detailed analysis is carried out as a matter of course in other teams but maybe you’ve hit on an area of neglect, that should be made known to them.

jacomo
03-02-2019, 05:32 PM

I think Eddie May does want the sack!

As for Lenny... it looked like he would rather be anywhere else at times.

Captain Trips
03-02-2019, 05:33 PM
We have had injuries but since the start of this season we have been phanning about with line ups and formations.

Here’s Lucy!
03-02-2019, 05:35 PM

Levein and Neilson?

Winston Ingram
03-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Our defence is a calamity at the moment,paul hanlon is throwing games in his current form.poor stuff from a player who looked fully composed last season.despite what formation we play canny drop him just now.so unless he rediscovers form and tightens up ,stops giving the ball and needlessly givin fouls away,our recent performances will continue.no compsure in the team.

It’s only a calamity if we play 3 at the back. It’s decent if we play a 4

Winston Ingram
03-02-2019, 06:58 PM
Your ‘anorak’ attention to detail probably doesn’t occur to our coaching staff. Maybe it should. I don’t know if such detailed analysis is carried out as a matter of course in other teams but maybe you’ve hit on an area of neglect, that should be made known to them.

This is my argument. We have stats people at the club so they surely must be highlighting this🤷🏻*♂️