PDA

View Full Version : Ambition

Hibees1973
02-02-2019, 06:37 PM
Loads of threads about the usual stuff, especially after a defeat.

Now that Lennon has gone and we are in limbo just now I am wondering what we expect from Hibs and what the clubs’ ambition should be.

Going by what happened with Lennon I feel the main issue was our transfer policy and that Hibs could not provide him with what he wanted/needed.

I heard it mainly stemmed from the McGinn deal. Lennon wanted Allan and Christie in exchange for McGinn with some cash in addition to Hibs. The board would not approve this as they wanted a cash only deal.

Last summer was a once in a decade chance to build on the end of last season. The board/Hibs have failed miserably.

In hindsight this Christie & Allan would have been great and enabled us to progress. Instead we got mediocre players to replace the midfield from last season and we are now paying for it big time. This brings me to what our ambition is....what is the maximum Hibs can achieve.

As we have no major backer/benefactor that Aberdeen and Hearts have, we will never be able to consistently challange at the top of the table and regularly get to cup finals. Aberdeen have done this and our crowds are higher than theirs!

Going to be really difficult to get into the top 6 this season which will hit us financially.

Much as we need a manager of the same calibre of Lennon we need a cash injection from somewhere.

If we cannot get this then where we are just now will become the norm again.

cleanyman
02-02-2019, 06:39 PM
I was expecting this year to be rubbish anyway

So I'm not disappointed

Season tickets will take a huge drop though

It's got an 8th place finish all over it. Hopefully 7th.

judas
02-02-2019, 07:36 PM
To answer your original question. Hibs are one of the top 5 clubs, so I expect a top 6 position every year as a minimum.

I also expect a cup win every 10 years.

Finally I expect a manager who respects the club and does not threaten to leave because his signings aren’t performing or because he is being targeted for something (is religious bigotry) that isn’t this employers fault.

sambajustice
02-02-2019, 08:19 PM
I posted in another thread that for as long as i've been alive Hibs have always been mediocre crap, I dont know why we expect anything different now.

I listed the reasons why i think that and cant be bothered typing it all out again. If anything we've we've punched below our weight for the last 35-40 years rather than above it, for the most part anyway.

Enjoy the good times but appreciate there's going to be far more poor/bad times

Sioux
02-02-2019, 08:24 PM

Now that Lennon has gone and we are in limbo just now I am wondering what we expect from Hibs and what the clubs’ ambition should be.

Going by what happened with Lennon I feel the main issue was our transfer policy and that Hibs could not provide him with what he wanted/needed.

I heard it mainly stemmed from the McGinn deal. Lennon wanted Allan and Christie in exchange for McGinn with some cash in addition to Hibs. The board would not approve this as they wanted a cash only deal.

Last summer was a once in a decade chance to build on the end of last season. The board/Hibs have failed miserably.

In hindsight this Christie & Allan would have been great and enabled us to progress. Instead we got mediocre players to replace the midfield from last season and we are now paying for it big time. This brings me to what our ambition is....what is the maximum Hibs can achieve.

As we have no major backer/benefactor that Aberdeen and Hearts have, we will never be able to consistently challange at the top of the table and regularly get to cup finals. Aberdeen have done this and our crowds are higher than theirs!

Going to be really difficult to get into the top 6 this season which will hit us financially.

Much as we need a manager of the same calibre of Lennon we need a cash injection from somewhere.

This old chestnut pops up on every thread. Its usually followed by BS.

Hi Heid Yin
02-02-2019, 08:35 PM

I expect Hibs to be challenging every season for a top 4 finish! Not top 6, but top 4.

Top 4 implies ambition and drive.

Top 6 is merely par for the course and implies lack of ambition and drive.

I expect Hibs to be in one of the 2 major cup finals every season.
Failing this - not going out before the semi-finals

chrisski33
02-02-2019, 08:52 PM
Maybe after hearing lennon saying he was considering his position in the summer they thought they wud get tye money from villa rather than sell to another team in the league. And who said christie would have come anyway. Maybe like the fans the board are sick of selling players along the m8 now

mcfly
02-02-2019, 08:54 PM
If season tickets do drop then the blame fully lies with the board and the clubs recruitment which frankly has not been good enough.

This season has seen the team lack shape and balance.

I see another rebuild in the summer.

The fans have backed the club in record numbers but there were a lot of empty seats today - I hope that’s not the start of the crowds dropping

We need a manager asap

Keith_M
02-02-2019, 08:58 PM
I don't get the link some people are making* with Lennon and Ambition. I'm quite sure he's not the only coach we could possibly have that would have ambition.

Plus, If Lennon's ambitions were as high as certain people claimed, then I'm not sure they were realistic. Whoever comes in has to be ambitious but also realise that Hibs do not, and never will, have the kind of money at the disposal of the Ugly Sisters.

I agree that top four every season should be our target, reasonably regular European football and the occasional Cup Win (more than once every 114 years, please)

* Not a dig at the OP

GreenCastle
02-02-2019, 08:59 PM
I posted in another thread that for as long as i've been alive Hibs have always been mediocre crap, I dont know why we expect anything different now.

I listed the reasons why i think that and cant be bothered typing it all out again. If anything we've we've punched below our weight for the last 35-40 years rather than above it, for the most part anyway.

Enjoy the good times but appreciate there's going to be far more poor/bad times

Maybe I just have a more positive outlook but I can’t stand the Hibs were mediocre before stuff which is posted.

Behind the Old Firm we should be fighting out for 3rd.

No excuses - we have the resources / infrastructure and fan base.

We just a board / manager that work together and drive all areas of the club to improve which isn’t happening currently.

GreenCastle
02-02-2019, 09:03 PM
If season tickets do drop then the blame fully lies with the board and the clubs recruitment which frankly has not been good enough.

This season has seen the team lack shape and balance.

I see another rebuild in the summer.

The fans have backed the club in record numbers but there were a lot of empty seats today - I hope that’s not the start of the crowds dropping

We need a manager asap

Regarding rebuild - it seems to happen every year and with all the loans we currently have it’s going to happen again this summer !!

I want players playing for their futures - not just randoms coming up to get game experience in the Scottish league that suits an English club.

mcfly
02-02-2019, 09:03 PM
Maybe I just have a more positive outlook but I can’t stand the Hibs were mediocre before stuff which is posted.

Behind the Old Firm we should be fighting out for 3rd.

No excuses - we have the resources / infrastructure and fan base.

We just a board / manager that work together and drive all areas of the club to improve which isn’t happening currently.

I agree with you but do we have a board willing to spend money to get there??

Hibs have done very well to get fans back. They need to keep them

We must get top 6.

Meaningless games at the bottom will cost us money

Hibeesforever
02-02-2019, 09:10 PM
Christie and Allan for McGinn will become folklore like Sparky for £150k...I do think the Board and CEO have failed the fans big time but Lennon threatening to leave did not favours...bring back Stubbsy for another crack at the Scottish.

tamig
02-02-2019, 09:11 PM

The Celtic thing was sunk by them trying to rip the pish with low-ball offers. As soon as we accepted Villa’s offer and SJM decided that was the place for him there was no chance we were getting anyone from Celtic. I don’t think that had anything to do with the way NL went this season. He was pretty vocal before SJM left that he would only go if the price was right.

GreenCastle
02-02-2019, 09:19 PM
I agree with you but do we have a board willing to spend money to get there??

Hibs have done very well to get fans back. They need to keep them

We must get top 6.

Meaningless games at the bottom will cost us money

I have no idea about the board - I don’t trust them fully though.

Top 6 - it’s 50/50 and bottom 6 would mean a serious loss of revenue.

We need some leadership from the top and on the field - feels like the club is floating about without much purpose and I really think people are starting to get really fed up with what we are having to put up with.

Hopefully a new manager can galvanise things.

Wakeyhibee
02-02-2019, 09:30 PM
Agree with most of the above top 6 is coasting, 4th is good, 3rd excellent.

Two points :-

1) I don't think NL was any more ambitious than most coaches but he did see a chance to aim for 2nd with Rangers still not firing and Aberdeen/Hearts not streets ahead of us.

2) I've seen so many of our stars sold over the years for good money. I've rarely if ever seen that money replace the player. Most of these sizable fees go on wages of 2,3,4 or more players who don't stay long. The great players we have seen potential in have been bought/signed within our budget.

Point being unless it's in the contract why sell? They're worth more to Hibs on the park

Weegreenman
03-02-2019, 04:22 AM
I don’t know if there’s any truth in the Scott Allan/Ryan Christie swap deal for SJM. Who knows how that negotiation would have gone? Celtic offering us peanuts I’d assume. I happen to think that Ryan Christie could potentially be worth a lot more than the 4 million SJM went to Villa for. I would have loved to see him at Hibs. It’s that type of dynamic player we are missing right now. All I know is that Horgan, Mallan and Slivka just don’t cut the mustard I’m afraid.

Onion
03-02-2019, 08:21 AM
Ambition of most clubs should reflect their revenue and crowd size. The Hibs Board are working really hard to get our crowds down for next season to match their ambition.

where'stheslope
03-02-2019, 02:46 PM
Ambition of most clubs should reflect their revenue and crowd size. The Hibs Board are working really hard to get our crowds down for next season to match their ambition.
Ambition is historic, if you look at league tables over the past 20 years, any team that has been amongst the Uglies 1 season usually falls away the next?
Even to the extent of being nearly relegated ( Motherwell)?
Aberdeen have had the luxury of being near the top of the league for a number of seasons with the absence of Sevco, now Servco are back it looks like falling into similar ways again!!!

Iggy Pope
03-02-2019, 03:10 PM
To answer your original question. Hibs are one of the top 5 clubs, so I expect a top 6 position every year as a minimum.

I also expect a cup win every 10 years.

Finally I expect a manager who respects the club and does not threaten to leave because his signings aren’t performing or because he is being targeted for something (is religious bigotry) that isn’t this employers fault.

Your expectation equates to a historical haul of 14 or 15 national cups / titles and we have 10 so taking world war breaks into account we are probably a wee bit short.

Can’t think for the life of me but I’m sure a top six finish every year is something we have fallen well short of.

familyman
03-02-2019, 03:24 PM
There have been times in the past when we have reached a crossroads and taken the wrong path..remember refusal to spend on Lee Griffiths
now we see the McGinn fiasco ..money being hidden under the floorboards?
If we are to achieve anything instead of a mid table team we need a brave board .Again going back whenTurnbull removed several crucial players all almost at once we tumbled way down ,this is the same again..when we we ever learn?

We were that close really we were and lost the Boy band at LONG LONG LAST, but here we are again.
Show true and sensible ambition ,playing safe is finishing mid table yet again...We are a Capital city club for goodness sake
:agree:

NAE NOOKIE
03-02-2019, 03:34 PM
Getting Christie and Allan plus cash was a non starter …. I highly doubt the board were responsible for falling short in that aim.

As for what I expect from Hibs … regularly finishing in the top 6 with the top 4 in at least one out of every three seasons and making at least one cup final every 4 seasons is what I expect from a club with our resources.

The club's ambition? To win the league … if it isn't no matter how unrealistic, what's the bloody point.

Oh, and a massive cash injection for a club like us will only ever happen as the result of attracting a guy with more money than sense … if and when we are 51% fan owned that goes from being a million to one chance to a no chance.

tonyrougier123
03-02-2019, 04:10 PM
I started a thread with the same title,was blaming a lack of ambition at the boards feet,which after the fall out im still of that opinion.pundits and journos alike with the same very opinion as myself.any enthusiasm I had since stubbs tookover has dissipated! The board gave out all the right messages between then and until recently,but now its back to saying nothing while the disgruntled voices grow louder and louder,while other fans who recaptured the football bug slowly start drifting away again.hibs imo are back in a firm state of coasting.and it will take some of leeanns original dogged determination to turn it around again for us,as things stand.hope she still has that burning passion to do so.

Lago
03-02-2019, 04:13 PM
If top 4 is the extent of folks ambition their easy pleased & I would guess that is the main reason Lennon left.

Northernhibee
03-02-2019, 04:14 PM
If top 4 is the extent of folks ambition their easy pleased & I would guess that is the main reason Lennon left.

Not being suspended before an agreement was made for one side to walk one way and the other the other?

Lago
03-02-2019, 04:16 PM
Not being suspended before an agreement was made for one side to walk one way and the other the other?
Smoke screen, didn't you see the hare run across the room?

jacomo
03-02-2019, 04:23 PM

Lenny said many times (and in January) that the Board had backed him very well. So I am not sure how true these stories are.

Was a deal ever on for Christie? Seems unlikely.

Celtc only started making serious offers for McGinn once Villa had bid for him.

SANH 1875
03-02-2019, 05:16 PM
I can see this as Leaan's last few months with us. Don't know what impact the Lenny situation will have on how clubs down south see her. She has always said a CEO has a shelf life and I just get the feeling she might see herself moving on again. a big question. is whether having a CEO is now part of the permanen infrastructure or something specific to Leann.

hhibs
03-02-2019, 05:41 PM
I can see this as Leaan's last few months with us. Don't know what impact the Lenny situation will have on how clubs down south see her. She has always said a CEO has a shelf life and I just get the feeling she might see herself moving on again. a big question. is whether having a CEO is now part of the permanen infrastructure or something specific to Leann.

Yes,would see that but recent events may have an impact on her progress.

As for her recent time at Hibs........meh,her silence has been noticable for months

CropleyWasGod
03-02-2019, 06:16 PM

It's been said before. We have a succession plan in place for when she goes. It's probably been written by her.

Lago
03-02-2019, 07:02 PM
It's been said before. We have a succession plan in place for when she goes. It's probably been written by her.
Sounds a bit like North Korea 😊

judas
04-02-2019, 09:22 PM
Your expectation equates to a historical haul of 14 or 15 national cups / titles and we have 10 so taking world war breaks into account we are probably a wee bit short.

Can’t think for the life of me but I’m sure a top six finish every year is something we have fallen well short of.

Agree with that. Our problem has been failure to win finals.

We have been in more league and Scottish cup finals but won less than hearts.