PDA

View Full Version : The price of taxi’s

LustForLeith
02-02-2019, 05:15 PM
What is it with the cost of black cab taxi’s in Edinburgh nowadays?

I just got one from the High street to Blackford and it cost eleven quid! That was with a bare minimum tip as the driver didn’t take cards.

I’ve been in Glasgow a bit recently and Black cab taxi’s seem to be far cheaper. Never really partaken with the likes of Uber in Edinburgh but surely they’re cheaper?

(Don’t think it helped my mood this was right after today’s game!)

BullsCloseHibs
02-02-2019, 06:00 PM
I stopped using any sort of taxi around three years ago. I simply refuse to line the pockets of drivers. Bus or night bus for me every time I need transport now. Its a no brainer.

patch1875
02-02-2019, 06:59 PM
I’m currently driving for Uber for a couple of months works out around half the price of a black cab.

Use them all the time myself the app works great.

Gatecrasher
02-02-2019, 10:55 PM
Don't use them or don't tip them if you feel ripped off. I can't remember the last time I used a taxi.

Jack
02-02-2019, 11:03 PM
I would only use a black cab in exceptional circumstances. I would do my best to avoid the worst drivers on the road, mini cabs and I'd never use UBER.

Hermit Crab
03-02-2019, 04:39 AM
J-C and a few other posters will be along soon. :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
03-02-2019, 05:26 AM
I use black cabs regularly, I like the experience of being taken to my destination safely via the quickest route without having to act as navigator, I have the City Cabs app on my phone.

Hermit Crab
03-02-2019, 05:47 AM
The last time I got a taxi it cost me nearly £30 from the East end of princes st to Musselburgh, I think thats outrageous, I've used the night bus since then.

Bangkok Hibby
03-02-2019, 07:36 AM
The last time I got a taxi it cost me nearly £30 from the East end of princes st to Musselburgh, I think thats outrageous, I've used the night bus since then.

Taxis are notorious the world over. Ive been threatened in Morrocco, ripped off in every country Ive used one really. Of course there are many genuinely nice cabbies but the chancers and con men who take tourists on outrageously circuitous routes taint the whole profession. Uber has many faults but I'll use them if I have to.

Pretty Boy
03-02-2019, 07:47 AM
I use black cabs regularly, I like the experience of being taken to my destination safely via the quickest route without having to act as navigator, I have the City Cabs app on my phone.

Same for me. I live in a new build and the postcode doesn't always come up on sat navs. Almost every black cab driver has known where it is or worked it out after a simple 'it's just off.....'.

Watching the PHs go into full on panic mode when the sat nav fails them is amusing but you then end up getting taken on a tour of Edinburgh as even the most precise directions confuse them.

I always use a black cab if I can. There's a good reason for them being a bit more expensive than a PH or Uber.

overdrive
03-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Same for me. I live in a new build and the postcode doesn't always come up on sat navs. Almost every black cab driver has known where it is or worked it out after a simple 'it's just off.....'.

Watching the PHs go into full on panic mode when the sat nav fails them is amusing but you then end up getting taken on a tour of Edinburgh as even the most precise directions confuse them.

I always use a black cab if I can. There's a good reason for them being a bit more expensive than a PH or Uber.

I’ve actually had more problems with black cab drivers not knowing where a destination is and they don’t have a sat nav to fall back on. This becomes a problem when you don’t really know where it is either.

My worst experience was when I lived in Bruntsfield and arguing with a black cab driver who insisted Leamington Place was in South Queensferry. Eh, I think I know where I live, thank you.

LustForLeith
03-02-2019, 09:18 AM
I’ve actually had more problems with black cab drivers not knowing where a destination is and they don’t have a sat nav to fall back on. This becomes a problem when you don’t really know where it is either.

My worst experience was when I lived in Bruntsfield and arguing with a black cab driver who insisted Leamington Place was in South Queensferry. Eh, I think I know where I live, thank you.

That was like last week when I was at Newhaven going back to Blackford. The first thing the black cab driver asked was “what way do you think I should go?!” You tell me!!

LustForLeith
03-02-2019, 09:20 AM

£30!!! I went to Munich last year and my flight there cost £35!

If it wasn’t for the cold and the fact my son had Been taunted by the Aberdeen fans as we walked past Easter Road after the game I would have walked to a bus stop. In fact I would have carried his twelve year old arse back home!

BroxburnHibee
03-02-2019, 09:32 AM

No way it should be that price.

BroxburnHibee
03-02-2019, 09:38 AM
That was like last week when I was at Newhaven going back to Blackford. The first thing the black cab driver asked was “what way do you think I should go?!” You tell me!!

Sometimes there can be options depending where you are. It's not always a linear route. Saying that he'd be better asking if you had a preferred route. Also there's plenty people want you to go a certain way and are not shy in telling you.

I remember when I first started I was nervous as hell about going the wrong way and getting the inevitable "Eh where you going pal?" :greengrin

Scouse Hibee
03-02-2019, 09:44 AM
I will add that when I talk about the excellent service and knowledge of black cab drivers I am generally talking about the drivers I encounter regularly through City Cabs. I have experienced totally the opposite in severally black cabs either hailed or off a rank, these have generally been cash only street cabs with no affiliation to anyone.

overdrive
03-02-2019, 10:52 AM
I should point out a positive story regarding black cabs. A couple of years ago we were going on holiday and got a black cab to the airport. Came back from holiday and my ex wife went to unlock the front door and couldn’t find her keys. She reckoned she had left them in the hotel safe. A couple of weeks later, the doorbell rang and here was the cabbie that too us to the airport with our keys. They had fell out her pocket in the taxi.

Hermit Crab
03-02-2019, 11:20 AM
No way it should be that price.

I swear, I was out with the Mrs and we got a cab home, it was something like £28.40 and I handed over £30. Couldn't believe myself.

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2019, 11:25 AM
I swear, I was out with the Mrs and we got a cab home, it was something like £28.40 and I handed over £30. Couldn't believe myself.

It would be that much mate - extortionate. My brother in law says it’s cheap compared to other cities though (which doesn’t help me!)

Frazerbob
03-02-2019, 11:29 AM
£30!!! I went to Munich last year and my flight there cost £35!

If it wasn’t for the cold and the fact my son had Been taunted by the Aberdeen fans as we walked past Easter Road after the game I would have walked to a bus stop. In fact I would have carried his twelve year old arse back home!

It’s pretty normal to pay more for your taxi either side of a flight than for the flight itself these days.

pollution
03-02-2019, 11:31 AM
I have a deep dislike of Edinburgh black cabs. It may be unfounded but they are over expensive and very tourist driven.

When I have had to take one the drivers seemed totally ignorant of the destination even though it was central Edinburgh at the time.

To be fair, I do understand how expensive they are to run but more expensive than Glasgow?

Frazerbob
03-02-2019, 11:32 AM
Uber is great value. The app is excellent and you can use it most major cities around Europe. You know the price before booking and if you let them know a better route, they take it without moaning.

For me it’s Uber first or Capital Cars with their 20% discount. Both far better value than black cabs.

BroxburnHibee
03-02-2019, 12:13 PM

I understand but unless you're talking far side of Musselburgh and kept the guy waiting for ages there is no way it should be that price.

speedy_gonzales
03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
For me it’s Uber first or Capital Cars with their 20% discount. Both far better value than black cabs.

Is Capital "all the 7's"? If so, how do you get the discount, do you have to ask?
I've used them a few times but never been offered the discount, just the meter rate!

Hermit Crab
03-02-2019, 01:58 PM
I understand but unless you're talking far side of Musselburgh and kept the guy waiting for ages there is no way it should be that price.

Route was waterloo place, down past Meadowbank, Milton rd, A1 as far as Wallyford turnoff then through Wallyford down to the roundabout where racecourse is then a left there and got dropped off on the Pinkie rd. That will be £30 please.

BroxburnHibee
03-02-2019, 02:05 PM
Route was waterloo place, down past Meadowbank, Milton rd, A1 as far as Wallyford turnoff then through Wallyford down to the roundabout where racecourse is then a left there and got dropped off on the Pinkie rd. That will be £30 please.

Ok did you tell him to take that route as it's a much longer route?

Black cab drivers are trained to take the shortest route as it's the cheapest.

The cheapest fare is to go through Musselburgh. If someone asked me to get to the far end of Pinkie by taking the bypass the first thing I'd say was it would definitely be more expensive.

Hermit Crab
03-02-2019, 02:19 PM

The cheapest fare is to go through Musselburgh. If someone asked me to get to the far end of Pinkie by taking the bypass the first thing I'd say was it would definitely be more expensive.

Being honest I really can't remember.

LustForLeith
03-02-2019, 04:35 PM
It’s pretty normal to pay more for your taxi either side of a flight than for the flight itself these days.

Very valid point!

Also, when you get a taxi from the airport back to say Blackford and the guy takes you all the way into town before cutting through and heading to Blackford?!

heretoday
03-02-2019, 06:28 PM
I'd only ever take a black cab if I was sharing.
Most folk I know feel the same.

Future17
03-02-2019, 07:11 PM
It cost me £9.90 from Newcraighall to the Ravelston in Musselburgh recently - a distance of 1.4 miles.

Apparently there was a surcharge for "leaving the city". This was at about 5pm on a Friday.

BroxburnHibee
03-02-2019, 07:22 PM
It cost me £9.90 from Newcraighall to the Ravelston in Musselburgh recently - a distance of 1.4 miles.

Apparently there was a surcharge for "leaving the city". This was at about 5pm on a Friday.

There is a surcharge for Musselburgh but I would never put it on the meter if it was from there.

Future17
03-02-2019, 08:15 PM
There is a surcharge for Musselburgh but I would never put it on the meter if it was from there.

Yeah, I understand the reason for it in certain circumstances...just not at that time on a weekend evening.

Frazerbob
03-02-2019, 09:19 PM
Is Capital "all the 7's"? If so, how do you get the discount, do you have to ask?
I've used them a few times but never been offered the discount, just the meter rate!

It is yeh. They should deduct 20% from the final fare in the screen. You do quite often have to ‘remind’ them though.

Hibbyradge
03-02-2019, 09:30 PM
Sorry to my cab driving pals, but I use UBER when I'm abroad. It really is a good service.

You know what you're going to pay before you book a car. You know how long it will take to arrive, the type of car and the driver's name.

I've not used Uber in the UK out of loyalty to my pals, but one wrong word ...:greengrin

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2019, 10:05 PM

How much would you expect it to be? I wouldn’t think it’d be much less than £25 based on my experience.

BroxburnHibee
03-02-2019, 10:08 PM
How much would you expect it to be? I wouldn’t think it’d be much less than £25 based on my experience.

23 to 25 sounds about right.

Hermit Crab
03-02-2019, 10:52 PM
23 to 25 sounds about right.

I'll bear that route in mind if I ever have to get a black cab home again.

Killiehibbie
04-02-2019, 07:44 AM
I was told last summer price to Wallyford is usually £20-£22, uber usually £15-£17 but on that night uber quoted £62.Day and night ticket for bus a bargain

J-C
04-02-2019, 08:35 AM
I was told last summer price to Wallyford is usually £20-£22, uber usually £15-£17 but on that night uber quoted £62.Day and night ticket for bus a bargain

They call that a surge price, well known for Uber drivers to all disappear at a certain time just to push the price up, then all pop back on their system to grab the extra high fares. Problem we have is peoples perception of the black taxi trade, generally brought on by being told lies. I get asked what's the difference between the knowledge and just using a sat nav, well a sat nav cannot teach you guest houses, nursing homes, pubs, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, offices, places of interest, road closures etc. I think the last list made Edinburgh around 103rd dearest in Britain, cheaper than Glasgow and surprisingly cheaper than places you wouldn't expect, also you have to take into consideration this is the capital city and things are a wee bit derer, drink in George St and you'll see what I mean, or try buying a flat/house. Said before we don't mind competition but when the market has been flooded out of all recognition, it does feel like the CEC have an agenda against black cabs.

easty
04-02-2019, 09:23 AM
I use Uber a lot, never had any reason to complain about it.

On Christmas day I got an Uber from my dads in Kingsknowe Court, it dropped me off at Jordan Lane in Morningside, then took my dad on to Liberton Golf Club, it cost £13.18.

Yes sometimes there is surge pricing, but it's pretty rare in my experience.

Wembley67
04-02-2019, 11:14 AM
Arranged an uber pickup to go the airport, price sitting at £20, by the time it arrived it had surged to £50...what the f???Chad no option but to get it.

patch1875
04-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Arranged an uber pickup to go the airport, price sitting at £20, by the time it arrived it had surged to £50...what the f???Chad no option but to get it.

Uber prices don’t change once you have confirmed it.

patch1875
04-02-2019, 11:22 AM
They call that a surge price, well known for Uber drivers to all disappear at a certain time just to push the price up, then all pop back on their system to grab the extra high fares. Problem we have is peoples perception of the black taxi trade, generally brought on by being told lies. I get asked what's the difference between the knowledge and just using a sat nav, well a sat nav cannot teach you guest houses, nursing homes, pubs, restaurants, hotels, hospitals, offices, places of interest, road closures etc. I think the last list made Edinburgh around 103rd dearest in Britain, cheaper than Glasgow and surprisingly cheaper than places you wouldn't expect, also you have to take into consideration this is the capital city and things are a wee bit derer, drink in George St and you'll see what I mean, or try buying a flat/house. Said before we don't mind competition but when the market has been flooded out of all recognition, it does feel like the CEC have an agenda against black cabs.

It’s demand that puts the surge up certainly not anyone logging off!

The nav has all you have listed on it I’ve nothing against the black cabs but things have moved on the youth nowadays get Uber’s not taxis.

Wembley67
04-02-2019, 12:09 PM
Uber prices don’t change once you have confirmed it.

Well mine did, I had never used Uber before so maybe I didn't do something right...personally I think the driver was at it, he knew he was collecting from a prestigous area for a early morning flight so I never had an alternative option - lesson learned from myself :)

Hibbyradge
04-02-2019, 12:16 PM
There seems to be a lot of mythology surrounding Uber.

I use them almost exclusively when I'm abroad and I've always been very satisfied.

The app tells you how much the fare is going to be, how long it will take to get to you and roughly how long the journey will take.

On one occasion the app told me that they were busy so normal so prices were higher than usual. Even then the fare wasn't extortionate, but I decided against using them on that occasion.

Hibbyradge
04-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Well mine did, I had never used Uber before so maybe I didn't do something right...personally I think the driver was at it, he knew he was collecting from a prestigous area for a early morning flight so I never had an alternative option - lesson learned from myself :)

I don't understand how that could have happened.

Did you use the app? It gives you the price and you pay in advance. No money is given to the driver. Even tips are paid via the app.

patch1875
04-02-2019, 12:33 PM

You must have checked the price and not confirmed then gone back in later and it could have had a surge the driver has no control of the prices.

Wembley67
04-02-2019, 12:51 PM
I don't understand how that could have happened.

Did you use the app? It gives you the price and you pay in advance. No money is given to the driver. Even tips are paid via the app.

You must have checked the price and not confirmed then gone back in later and it could have had a surge the driver has no control of the prices.

It was on the app, absolutely no idea what I did but whatever it was I clearly screwed it up :greengrin

Hibbyradge
04-02-2019, 12:56 PM
It was on the app, absolutely no idea what I did but whatever it was I clearly screwed it up :greengrin

Was it a Rolls Royce or something posh?

Uber has a luxury car option which is more expensive.

You will have got an email receipt. It should tell you what you booked.

I'm inordinately interested to find out! 😁

.Sean.
04-02-2019, 03:37 PM
I’ve paid £50+ back to Haddington numerous times 😭

Hermit Crab
04-02-2019, 05:34 PM
I’ve paid £50+ back to Haddington numerous times 😭

**** that, you ken theres a night buses down that way now?
https://eastcoastbuses.co.uk/nighthawk/

Mibbes Aye
04-02-2019, 06:02 PM
Back around 15-20 years ago I lived just round from Murrayfield stadium and worked in Bonnyrigg. Didn’t drive in those days and very occasionally I had to taxi it, usually if I had gone out after work or slept in and missed the bus. Back then it was 20-25 quid easy, with one of the two big black cab firms. Doesn’t sound like it is too much more expensive nowadays which is a surprise.

Re a previous post, I’ve nevertheless always found Glasgow far, far cheaper for a cab. As for Uber I’ve used them in English cities and found them spot on. In Leeds in particular they were clean, reliable and efficient whereas the one black cab we used was a bit dirty and definitely took a long way for a short cut. I think the council in Leeds is quite strict on enforcing standards for private hires which maybe explains that.

calumhibee1
05-02-2019, 10:44 AM
Would always use Uber over a black cab. Used Uber fairly frequently for over a year now in numerous cities in the UK and abroad and had next to no issues. Probably saved myself a small fortune as well.

In the south of France it also gave me the option of a helicopter :greengrin

grunt
05-02-2019, 10:47 AM
That apostrophe is doing my head in.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2019, 12:59 PM

:top marks

lapsedhibee
05-02-2019, 03:37 PM
Mine anaw.

Hibbyradge
05-02-2019, 03:58 PM
Mine's to.

You shouldn't of rote that mate

Theres going too be a plefora off bad speling poor gramma and a lak of puntuashin now

lapsedhibee
05-02-2019, 04:03 PM
You shouldn't of rote that mate
True. Corrected now.

LancashireHibby
05-02-2019, 04:48 PM
Sorry to my cab driving pals, but I use UBER when I'm abroad. It really is a good service.

You know what you're going to pay before you book a car. You know how long it will take to arrive, the type of car and the driver's name.

I've not used Uber in the UK out of loyalty to my pals, but one wrong word ...:greengrin
I rarely use Uber at home as our local private hire is pretty reliable, but we used Uber a few times when in Bristol a few weeks ago and couldn’t speak highly enough of them. One of them turned up literally within 30 seconds of ordering (bearing in mind we were near the football ground and not actually in the city centre) whereas the taxi numbers given to us in the pub were all going to be a 30+ minute wait.

HappyAsHellas
05-02-2019, 04:59 PM
Return flights to Bergamo - £30
Return taxi to airport from Drum Brae - £30/

Still wouldn't use uber or the taliban taxi's as I believe the black cab driver's call them.:greengrin

CropleyWasGod
05-02-2019, 05:02 PM
Return flights to Bergamo - £30
Return taxi to airport from Drum Brae - £30/

Still wouldn't use uber or the taliban taxi's as I believe the black cab driver's call them.:greengrin

You're going to the big fire. :cb

Pete
05-02-2019, 09:05 PM
If something’s too good to be true, it usually is. Or in Uber’s case, the convenience and cheapness comes at a cost in other areas.

Once corrective action is finalised, you won’t see Uber for dust and they’ll simply operate in countries who’s rules regarding workers rights are a little more ‘relaxed’.

It’s a shame as a happy medium would benefit everyone.

CapitalGreen
05-02-2019, 10:11 PM
If something’s too good to be true, it usually is. Or in Uber’s case, the convenience and cheapness comes at a cost in other areas.

Once corrective action is finalised, you won’t see Uber for dust and they’ll simply operate in countries who’s rules regarding workers rights are a little more ‘relaxed’.

I don’t think anyone has described Uber as “too good to be true”, just some people believe they can be better than using black cabs.

pollution
06-02-2019, 11:24 AM
You're going to the big fire. :cb

The apostrophe fire of doom

McSwanky
06-02-2019, 11:31 AM
Why are people comparing the price of a taxi with the basic price of a flight? Budget airlines are more comparable to a bus, no?

Killiehibbie
06-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Can anybody tell me how much of the fare Uber creams off in this country? I've read about them taking 60-70% of minimum price hires in some places.

patch1875
06-02-2019, 07:22 PM
Can anybody tell me how much of the fare Uber creams off in this country? I've read about them taking 60-70% of minimum price hires in some places.

25%

Hibbyradge
06-02-2019, 08:27 PM

You could be right, and although I hope it doesn't happen, it looks to me like black cabs are more likely to disappear than Uber.

And remember, if we leave the EU, there won't be many countries with more relaxed workers than the UK.

Killiehibbie
06-02-2019, 09:48 PM
25%
Is that regardless of fare? I've read they take $2 and percentage of $4 minimum fares in US, can't see them settling for 80 odd pence on £3.50 minimum Edinburgh fare.
I certainly wouldn't have been in business for very long paying booking office 25% of all the hires I got when driving a taxi and even less if they take as much as i've read about.

patch1875
07-02-2019, 04:58 AM
Is that regardless of fare? I've read they take $2 and percentage of $4 minimum fares in US, can't see them settling for 80 odd pence on £3.50 minimum Edinburgh fare.
I certainly wouldn't have been in business for very long paying booking office 25% of all the hires I got when driving a taxi and even less if they take as much as i've read about.

Yes doesn’t matter what the fare is the £3.50 fare you get 2.62.

The base fare need to be higher Uber works great for me as I only do it for 2-3 months through winter made a lot of money in December much quieter since although it’s picking up now.

Not sure I’d want to make a living full time from it.

Killiehibbie
07-02-2019, 08:43 AM

The base fare need to be higher Uber works great for me as I only do it for 2-3 months through winter made a lot of money in December much quieter since although it’s picking up now.

All very good if you want to "make" a few quid on a Saturday night. Takes a lot of £2.62's just to pay the council for your licences and remember you're competing against guys who are trying to earn a full time wage with full time overheads.

CapitalGreen
07-02-2019, 09:15 AM

Thank you for your service.

patch1875
07-02-2019, 09:45 AM
All very good if you want to "make" a few quid on a Saturday night. Takes a lot of £2.62's just to pay the council for your licences and remember you're competing against guys who are trying to earn a full time wage with full time overheads.

You only probably do 2-3 a day at that price but it’s a 5 minute job been out since 6.30 this morning averaged £20 an hour home now might go out again later.

It’s good fun for me I put all the money aside and it pays for the summer holiday only got the car for another couple of weeks then back to my business.

patch1875
07-02-2019, 09:45 AM
Thank you for your service.

Your welcome!

Killiehibbie
07-02-2019, 10:11 AM
You only probably do 2-3 a day at that price but it’s a 5 minute job been out since 6.30 this morning averaged £20 an hour home now might go out again later.

It’s good fun for me I put all the money aside and it pays for the summer holiday only got the car for another couple of weeks then back to my business.
Luckily you won't have to bother about replacing your vehicle and offering sudsidised travel for much longer.
I just don't see how their business is sustainable, everything has to be paid for eventually.

Weegreenman
07-09-2019, 05:21 PM
Most taxi drivers are toiling these days. The costs involved in either renting/buying a taxi are just ridiculous.
The added cost of belonging to a radio cab company are just as ridiculous.
You also have to remember that the tariffs are set by Edinburgh Council and not the taxi company or drivers.
A lot of drivers are what they call jockeys and only rent the cab from the owners. The rentals are way over priced. Some as much as £300 pw. Add the cost of fuel to that and all the other stuff that comes with being self employed you start to get a picture of why the costs are so high.
My point, it’s not the drivers fault.

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2019, 05:27 PM
Most taxi drivers are toiling these days. The costs involved in either renting/buying a taxi are just ridiculous.
The added cost of belonging to a radio cab company are just as ridiculous.
You also have to remember that the tariffs are set by Edinburgh Council and not the taxi company or drivers.
A lot of drivers are what they call jockeys and only rent the cab from the owners. The rentals are way over priced. Some as much as £300 pw. Add the cost of fuel to that and all the other stuff that comes with being self employed you start to get a picture of why the costs are so high.
My point, it’s not the drivers fault.

Plenty of cabbies not toiling at all and making a good living out of it, they are working long hours though.

Weegreenman
07-09-2019, 05:41 PM
Plenty of cabbies not toiling at all and making a good living out of it, they are working long hours though.

Most of them need to work long hours to make a living. It’s one of them jobs, if you were to only work a normal working week.....say 35-40hours pw, then if you were to average it out over a year, you’d be lucky if they made minimum wage.

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2019, 06:06 PM
Most of them need to work long hours to make a living. It’s one of them jobs, if you were to only work a normal working week.....say 35-40hours pw, then if you were to average it out over a year, you’d be lucky if they made minimum wage.

A lot depends on what times you work and where. My mate does fine, chases the work, flight times etc, good concierge contacts, positioning. Never find him sitting on a rank. Experience is invaluable.

Killiehibbie
07-09-2019, 06:14 PM

Not going to turn much of a profit working 40 hours per week.

BroxburnHibee
07-09-2019, 06:57 PM
I make a decent living but you need to put the hours in and the early months of the year can be tedious.

What's decent for me might be rubbish for others though. :greengrin

lord bunberry
07-09-2019, 08:14 PM
Reading this thread I’ve noticed a lot of people saying taxis are cheaper in Glasgow, they’re not anymore. Edinburgh is 66th in the table of UK fares with Glasgow around 30th. Edinburgh comes in the top 10 for every measure of cost of living there is, yet taxi fares are 66th. People will go out shopping or drinking and happily pay the over inflated Edinburgh prices, but complain about the taxi fare that is underpriced. There will be a rise in fares shortly as the independent company that deals with this recognises the disparity that exists.

Weegreenman
07-09-2019, 08:22 PM
I’ve never complained about the cost of a taxi. Not that I use them much these days but when I do, it’s usually because I want to get to were I want to go ( usually home half pissed ) safely and as quick as possible. I know taxi drivers are grafters and don’t have an easy job, so they are worth every penny and a nice wee tip. Usually get a great wee bit of banter for free anaw

lord bunberry
07-09-2019, 09:19 PM
I’ve never complained about the cost of a taxi. Not that I use them much these days but when I do, it’s usually because I want to get to were I want to go ( usually home half pissed ) safely and as quick as possible. I know taxi drivers are grafters and don’t have an easy job, so they are worth every penny and a nice wee tip. Usually get a great wee bit of banter for free anaw

Your support is very much appreciated mate.

Wembley67
07-09-2019, 09:49 PM

Very true.

I've never understood why folk give cabbies grief, for me they are my white knight taking me home, if you are going to moan then make other arrangements to get home!

Scouse Hibee
07-09-2019, 10:49 PM
My Black Cab app is well used, I very much appreciate the service I receive from taxi drivers, even if most of them recently have been Jambos!

Since90+2
09-09-2019, 07:10 AM
Reading this thread I’ve noticed a lot of people saying taxis are cheaper in Glasgow, they’re not anymore. Edinburgh is 66th in the table of UK fares with Glasgow around 30th. Edinburgh comes in the top 10 for every measure of cost of living there is, yet taxi fares are 66th. People will go out shopping or drinking and happily pay the over inflated Edinburgh prices, but complain about the taxi fare that is underpriced. There will be a rise in fares shortly as the independent company that deals with this recognises the disparity that exists.

Is that based on the total cost of the fare paid or the actual charges? If it's based on the fare paid Glasgow is likely to be higher as it's a far larger city so trips are likely to be longer resulting in a higher charge.

If you take the exact same length of journey in both Edinburgh and Glasgow which is cheaper? In my experience Glasgow taxis are far cheaper, though it has been around 2 years since I've been in a Glasgow cab so may have changed.

Since90+2
09-09-2019, 07:34 AM

According to the report below Glasgow is currently £6.50 for a 2 mile journey and Edinburgh £6.35. Glasgow has had 2 fare increases in the past 18 months so if Edinburgh is due a rise as you suggest then it will make a journey more expensive in Edinburgh very shortly.

If the fare increase is 10% or more then it will make Edinburgh about the same as East Lothian and the most expensive place in Scotland to hire a cab.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/973180/fife-could-become-second-most-expensive-place-in-scotland-to-hire-taxi-as-operators-push-for-fare-rise/

patch1875
09-09-2019, 07:37 AM
Meanwhile Uber still haven’t increased in nearly 4 years.

calumhibee1
09-09-2019, 08:16 AM

I always use Uber. Got numerous Uber’s in Glasgow at the weekend and they were about £4 or so every time. And two of them were in a 5 series BMW. I know how I’d prefer to travel.

lord bunberry
09-09-2019, 09:34 AM
According to the report below Glasgow is currently £6.50 for a 2 mile journey and Edinburgh £6.35. Glasgow has had 2 fare increases in the past 18 months so if Edinburgh is due a rise as you suggest then it will make a journey more expensive in Edinburgh very shortly.

If the fare increase is 10% or more then it will make Edinburgh about the same as East Lothian and the most expensive place in Scotland to hire a cab.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/local/fife/973180/fife-could-become-second-most-expensive-place-in-scotland-to-hire-taxi-as-operators-push-for-fare-rise/
Yes it’s based on a 2 mile journey. The fare increase here won’t be anywhere near 10% it will be a small increase. You also have to factor in that Glasgow has a party tariff for the weekend where fares increase to a level much higher than Edinburgh, the meter at these times starts at £5.70 compared to Edinburgh at £3.60.

lord bunberry
09-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Uber increase their fares every week when it’s busy. I took a couple from the west end to clermiston on Saturday, the fare was £12, Uber were charging £28.

Since90+2
09-09-2019, 09:44 AM
Yes it’s based on a 2 mile journey. The fare increase here won’t be anywhere near 10% it will be a small increase. You also have to factor in that Glasgow has a party tariff for the weekend where fares increase to a level much higher than Edinburgh, the meter at these times starts at £5.70 compared to Edinburgh at £3.60.

Edinburgh also has a higher cost of living so I'd agree taxi drivers here are probably due a rise. My fear for your trade is that Uber will ultimately take over , I hope it doesn't as I will always use black cabs over Uber personally.

lord bunberry
09-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Edinburgh also has a higher cost of living so I'd agree taxi drivers here are probably due a rise. My fear for your trade is that Uber will ultimately take over , I hope it doesn't as I will always use black cabs over Uber personally.
Uber taking over is definitely a possibility, but it wouldn’t be good for the city as once they’re in control the amount they charge will be completely unregulated.

patch1875
09-09-2019, 10:00 AM
Uber increase their fares every week when it’s busy. I took a couple from the west end to clermiston on Saturday, the fare was £12, Uber were charging £28.

Obviously a busy time regular Uber fare would have been about £7 seemed busy at the weekend as I couldn’t get one must be all the students coming back.

Sylar
09-09-2019, 10:18 AM
I use Uber a lot when I'm over in California. The service there is exceptional, and there are a lot of drivers (as it's an easy way to top up income in a place as expensive as the Bay Area). I've yet to have a bad experience over there using Uber.

However, I do so with the understanding that the cheap price is due to Uber not valuing their employees properly, with many working in pretty **** conditions.

patch1875
09-09-2019, 10:31 AM
I use Uber a lot when I'm over in California. The service there is exceptional, and there are a lot of drivers (as it's an easy way to top up income in a place as expensive as the Bay Area). I've yet to have a bad experience over there using Uber.

However, I do so with the understanding that the cheap price is due to Uber not valuing their employees properly, with many working in pretty **** conditions.

Your not an employee your self employed.

I’ve said earlier in the thread I wouldn’t want to rely on it as a source of income but some do ok out of it.

I do it occasionally and it’s pretty good fun for the time I do it the flexibility makes it great for me just log on and away you go.

Sylar
09-09-2019, 10:36 AM
Your not an employee your self employed.

I’ve said earlier in the thread I wouldn’t want to rely on it as a source of income but some do ok out of it.

I do it occasionally and it’s pretty good fun for the time I do it the flexibility makes it great for me just log on and away you go.

Isn't that the problem? Certainly in California, the drivers have no rights to any kind of medical insurance etc despite being affiliated to a registered company.

I'm comparing the UK system to the American system here, which isn't fair as I don't use Uber here in the UK (not on any moral stance - I just don't have a need for taxis here) - but there's been a massive furore in California by both Uber and Lyft drivers who aren't eligible for many of the state benefits of minimum wage, overtime pay etc because they're viewed not as employees but as external contractors.

patch1875
09-09-2019, 10:43 AM
Isn't that the problem? Certainly in California, the drivers have no rights to any kind of medical insurance etc despite being affiliated to a registered company.

I'm comparing the UK system to the American system here, which isn't fair as I don't use Uber here in the UK (not on any moral stance - I just don't have a need for taxis here) - but there's been a massive furore in California by both Uber and Lyft drivers who aren't eligible for many of the state benefits of minimum wage, overtime pay etc because they're viewed not as employees but as external contractors.

I found them pretty upfront about it all. There are some benefits here I’d you drive regularly (accident cover, paternity pay etc) but the end of the day I also run my own other business and get nothing either.

Hibbyradge
10-09-2019, 10:52 PM
I know this doesn't scan across, but I just had a 17 mile Uber journey to Rio airport which took 55 minutes in rush hour traffic.

It cost less than £10.20.

My standard taxi journey to my hotel a week ago took 30 minutes and cost £27.

I feel guilty recommending Uber because I have friends who drive black cabs, but it's a great service to use when abroad.

calumhibee1
11-09-2019, 06:26 AM

I regularly use Uber and I’ve never saw a fare be anything like that in comparison to a taxi. That would literally be at least a 3x surge based on the black cab price. In about 100 Uber trips I’ve never even seen it at 2x.

I’m not doubting you that it possibly happened but that’ll next to never happen to most people.

patch1875
11-09-2019, 06:38 AM
I regularly use Uber and I’ve never saw a fare be anything like that in comparison to a taxi. That would literally be at least a 3x surge based on the black cab price. In about 100 Uber trips I’ve never even seen it at 2x.

I’m not doubting you that it possibly happened but that’ll next to never happen to most people.

At Uber rates probably more like 4x surge.

it can go up to that at times, depends how desperate you want to get home it tells you the price so don't accept it and try a few minutes later it can change very quickly.

Killiehibbie
11-09-2019, 08:17 AM
I know this doesn't scan across, but I just had a 17 mile Uber journey to Rio airport which took 55 minutes in rush hour traffic.

It cost less than £10.20.

My standard taxi journey to my hotel a week ago took 30 minutes and cost £27.

I feel guilty recommending Uber because I have friends who drive black cabs, but it's a great service to use when abroad.
Might be great if you want a guy out working for next to nothing just so you can save a few quid. It can't be sustainable for someone to get paid very little, buy and maintain a vehicle. The airport might even take a fair whack of his part of the fare just for dropping off.

The Modfather
11-09-2019, 09:13 AM
Might be great if you want a guy out working for next to nothing just so you can save a few quid. It can't be sustainable for someone to get paid very little, buy and maintain a vehicle. The airport might even take a fair whack of his part of the fare just for dropping off.

Surely if it’s not a sustainable lifestyle they could look at alternative jobs?

Killiehibbie
11-09-2019, 09:47 AM

When they've got a clapped out car and not enough money to replace it they'll have to.

It might be ok for a short term sideline but not a full time job.

marinello59
11-09-2019, 09:58 AM

Spot on. The drivers are taking the hit here and are forced to work longer and longer hours to earn a living whilst Uber gets the cream.

BroxburnHibee
11-09-2019, 10:23 AM

Yep the multinational conglomerates and billionaire investors are raking it in whilst the drivers are forcing themselves to work longer hours to make living wage.

Support the local businesses or save yourself a few quid and make the super rich richer?

Course when local businesses evaporate I'm sure Uber will still be cheap.....

BroxburnHibee
11-09-2019, 10:26 AM

I'm sure places like Rio are just swimming in spare jobs.

According to Google unemployment rate is 12.7% so perhaps they do it as theres not a lot else.

The Modfather
11-09-2019, 10:33 AM
I'm sure places like Rio are just swimming in spare jobs.

According to Google unemployment rate is 12.7% so perhaps they do it as theres not a lot else.

Are we now debating specifics like the unemployment rate in Rio? If so I’ll leave you to it. I merely responded to a post talking about a job no longer being sustainable, asking the question whether in that scenario it was time for the hypothetical individual to look at a potential career change.

BroxburnHibee
11-09-2019, 10:44 AM
Are we now debating specifics like the unemployment rate in Rio? If so I’ll leave you to it. I merely responded to a post talking about a job no longer being sustainable, asking the question whether in that scenario it was time for the hypothetical individual to look at a potential career change.

You made a point. I responded to it.

Isnt that the whole point of discussions? :greengrin

Radge's post above says the fare was a tenner for an hour of that guys day. Take the cost of Ubers slice, fuel, airport (if they charge) tax (assuming he pays it).....

How much of that £10 do you think the driver actually made?

I'd bet you're lucky if its half.

Sylar
11-09-2019, 10:57 AM
I see the California legislature have now passed Assembly Bill 5, meaning the gig economy workers in the state will now receive the benefits they've long been campaigning for:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49659775

Great news for them.

Hibbyradge
11-09-2019, 01:54 PM
You made a point. I responded to it.

Isnt that the whole point of discussions? :greengrin

Radge's post above says the fare was a tenner for an hour of that guys day. Take the cost of Ubers slice, fuel, airport (if they charge) tax (assuming he pays it).....

How much of that £10 do you think the driver actually made?

I'd bet you're lucky if its half.

The minimum wage in Brazil is less than £8 per day.

The average wage is about £15.

8 trips like mine would earn him £80 or, using your calculation, a net £40.

BroxburnHibee
11-09-2019, 02:58 PM

So hes raking it in then :greengrin

Hibbyradge
11-09-2019, 03:20 PM
So hes raking it in then :greengrin

Exactly :greengrin

The Uber app suggests giving the driver a tip after every journey and offers 3 suggested amounts.

This time they were BRL 2 BRL 3 and BRL 5.

1 BRL = £0.20

Green Man
11-09-2019, 03:58 PM
I was always anti Uber due to my views on Travis Kalanick. Now he’s away I have used them, and find it convenient; however I was put out when a recent job, with the driver showing as 2 minutes away, was cancelled without reason. I had to wait about 15 minutes for another driver to come. And their surge pricing, while I understand the laws of supply and demand, is not something I like.

Killiehibbie
11-09-2019, 04:03 PM

Looking at the cost of living there no wonder there's so much poverty. A lot of the prices are comparable to here. If you have millions of people earning next to nothing it certainly brings the average down.

Hibbyradge
11-09-2019, 04:13 PM
Looking at the cost of living there no wonder there's so much poverty. A lot of the prices are comparable to here. If you have millions of people earning next to nothing it certainly brings the average down.

I found it inexpensive, but there is enormous poverty which is why crime rates are high.

These indices suggest that the UK has a much more expensive cost of living.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Brazil&country2=United+Kingdom

calumhibee1
11-09-2019, 04:24 PM
Yep the multinational conglomerates and billionaire investors are raking it in whilst the drivers are forcing themselves to work longer hours to make living wage.

Support the local businesses or save yourself a few quid and make the super rich richer?

Course when local businesses evaporate I'm sure Uber will still be cheap.....

And when the local businesses evaporate and Uber are the only one left and (apparently) set their prices through the roof.. someone will come along and do to Uber what Uber will apparently do to the local businesses.

Let's not pretend that the end game here is that Uber are going to make it unaffordable to get from A to B. It's not going to happen. They've been around 10 years or so and taxi drivers have been telling us the whole time that is what's going to happen yet they're still massively cheaper than black cabs.

Killiehibbie
12-09-2019, 06:41 AM
I found it inexpensive, but there is enormous poverty which is why crime rates are high.

These indices suggest that the UK has a much more expensive cost of living.

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=Brazil&country2=United+Kingdom

I looked at the cost of a car and fuel which weren't much different to here. I don't suppose many uber drivers will have mortgages with nearly 10% interest rates to worry about.

J-C
12-09-2019, 07:22 PM
I looked at the cost of a car and fuel which weren't much different to here. I don't suppose many uber drivers will have mortgages with nearly 10% interest rates to worry about.

Uber works well in many countries where there is either very little regulated cab industry or none at all, also as has been said where the cost of living is fairly low and the Uber guy gets a decent/good living out of it, also take into consideration the cost of living in these countries.

In countries like here or in mainland Europe where there is a fully regulated taxi industry the Uber driver will be on bare minimum, that is until they all realise that if they sign off during the busy times they can get the surge up to 3x plus and earn ridiculous amounts on unsuspecting drunken students,young folk who click away on the app without realising they are getting ripped off. Starts of cheap to get you in then up goes the prices, normal practice for these guys.

Edinburgh has lagged behind fare wise due to a poor council who are becoming increasingly anti taxi trade, forcing perfectly good taxi's off the road due to age and forcing the owners into buying vehicles at a price of around £54K. We are also seeing more conflict between taxi drivers and PHC drivers, PHC sitting on ranks and then becoming aggressive when asked to move, PHC picking up illegally on the streets at the weekend and we even had PHC from Glasgow, Cambridge, Durham etc up here working during the Festival with the police and cab office doing nothing about it, lawless Edinburgh.

calumhibee1
12-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Uber works well in many countries where there is either very little regulated cab industry or none at all, also as has been said where the cost of living is fairly low and the Uber guy gets a decent/good living out of it, also take into consideration the cost of living in these countries.

In countries like here or in mainland Europe where there is a fully regulated taxi industry the Uber driver will be on bare minimum, that is until they all realise that if they sign off during the busy times they can get the surge up to 3x plus and earn ridiculous amounts on unsuspecting drunken students,young folk who click away on the app without realising they are getting ripped off. Starts of cheap to get you in then up goes the prices, normal practice for these guys.

Edinburgh has lagged behind fare wise due to a poor council who are becoming increasingly anti taxi trade, forcing perfectly good taxi's off the road due to age and forcing the owners into buying vehicles at a price of around £54K. We are also seeing more conflict between taxi drivers and PHC drivers, PHC sitting on ranks and then becoming aggressive when asked to move, PHC picking up illegally on the streets at the weekend and we even had PHC from Glasgow, Cambridge, Durham etc up here working during the Festival with the police and cab office doing nothing about it, lawless Edinburgh.

What do you mean by starts off cheap then ups the prices? Once you book it you’re not going to get hit by any incoming surge. If I book an Uber with no surge and then it surges as I’m in it I’m paying what it was when I booked it, not the new 3x price (which after probably around 100 Uber’s I’m yet to actually see.. infact I’m yet to even see 2x).

J-C
13-09-2019, 09:30 AM
What do you mean by starts off cheap then ups the prices? Once you book it you’re not going to get hit by any incoming surge. If I book an Uber with no surge and then it surges as I’m in it I’m paying what it was when I booked it, not the new 3x price (which after probably around 100 Uber’s I’m yet to actually see.. infact I’m yet to even see 2x).

Start off cheap to get you using them and then the prices steadily rise. They communicate through a WhatsApp group and sign off knowing the price will surge. People are either too stupid or got more money than sense to pay £45 from city centre to the airport. They get told they're cheaper than taxis, so when they surge these same people still think that they're cheaper, they need educated.

BroxburnHibee
13-09-2019, 10:23 AM
Start off cheap to get you using them and then the prices steadily rise. They communicate through a WhatsApp group and sign off knowing the price will surge. People are either too stupid or got more money than sense to pay £45 from city centre to the airport. They get told they're cheaper than taxis, so when they surge these same people still think that they're cheaper, they need educated.

Wasting your breath.

J-C
13-09-2019, 11:04 AM
Wasting your breath.

👍

My_Wife_Camille
13-09-2019, 11:09 AM
I have to say, I've never in my life come across anybody (other black cab drivers) who even remotely cares that a black cab can get you from A to B without a sat nav.

It's the same as any other service in a capitalist society - people will shop around and pay what they think the service is worth. For me and thousands more in the city, a black cab driver managing to get me from A to B without putting a postcode into a sat nav isn't worth the extra few quid.

Scouse Hibee
13-09-2019, 01:32 PM
I have to say, I've never in my life come across anybody (other black cab drivers) who even remotely cares that a black cab can get you from A to B without a sat nav.

It's the same as any other service in a capitalist society - people will shop around and pay what they think the service is worth. For me and thousands more in the city, a black cab driver managing to get me from A to B without putting a postcode into a sat nav isn't worth the extra few quid.

Rather have a cabbie who knows where he is going, knows about current roadworks and jams etc than a goon who follows a Sat Nav to nowhere. And yes I am talking from several experiences.

patch1875
13-09-2019, 01:51 PM
The nav Uber uses has traffic monitoring so routes you accordingly unless the cabbies have some special sense I’m not sure how they will know what’s up ahead.

lord bunberry
13-09-2019, 04:07 PM
The nav Uber uses has traffic monitoring so routes you accordingly unless the cabbies have some special sense I’m not sure how they will know what’s up ahead.
The day a sat nav is better at navigating around Edinburgh than me is the day I pack it in. I use the get taxi app and the routes it suggests are laughable.

J-C
13-09-2019, 04:20 PM
The day a sat nav is better at navigating around Edinburgh than me is the day I pack it in. I use the get taxi app and the routes it suggests are laughable.

I was gonna say the same, Gett uses Google as its satnav, its built into the app and half the time it's useless,tried to take me via Regent rd/Waterloo Pl the other day even though it's shut, it hadn't updated itself. I'd love to switch it off during a job but can't as it part of the app.

patch1875
13-09-2019, 04:35 PM
It’s not the hardest city to navigate though is it?

Mibbes Aye
13-09-2019, 05:21 PM

I drive a lot around Scotland with work and use my iPhone as my satnav.

Apple maps always knows now what the route is like, whether there are delays, and suggests alternative routes.

Killiehibbie
13-09-2019, 06:26 PM

Try using the google maps crap that is loaded onto the scanner i use for work. 4 out of the first 6 yesterday it wanted to take me somewhere else but being in Kilwinning it's maybe not a bad idea!

lord bunberry
13-09-2019, 10:52 PM
I was gonna say the same, Gett uses Google as its satnav, its built into the app and half the time it's useless,tried to take me via Regent rd/Waterloo Pl the other day even though it's shut, it hadn't updated itself. I'd love to switch it off during a job but can't as it part of the app.

Try using the google maps crap that is loaded onto the scanner i use for work. 4 out of the first 6 yesterday it wanted to take me somewhere else but being in Kilwinning it's maybe not a bad idea!
:agree: Satnav is great if you want to get somewhere when you don’t know where you’re going, but as a tool for taxis it’s next to useless. Every passenger that gets in knows the quickest way to their house, it’s my job to also know that. I take a pride in what I do and always try my best to make the journey as short as possible. No one is perfect and mistakes will always be made, but if that happens I always say to my passenger that I’ve made a mistake and I turn the meter off and charge less than the fare would have been. It’s amazing how many customers appreciate that and give a decent tip.

fjosoo
12-10-2019, 08:46 PM
I stopped using any sort of taxi around three years ago. I simply refuse to line the pockets of drivers. Bus or night bus for me every time I need transport now. Its a no brainer.

Scouse Hibee
12-10-2019, 09:02 PM
Out with mates last weekend let down twice by Uber, it was the mate that insisted on using them, I always use Black Cabs and will continue to do so after that fiasco.

Rocky
12-10-2019, 10:14 PM

What does that even mean? Are you refusing to go to pubs because you refuse to line the pockets of bar staff? Stopping going to fitba because you refuse to line the pockets of players? Have you just got an aversion to folk earning a wage?

Just_Jimmy
12-10-2019, 10:43 PM
I stopped using any sort of taxi around three years ago. I simply refuse to line the pockets of drivers. Bus or night bus for me every time I need transport now. Its a no brainer.What an utterly bizzare post.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Andy Bee
13-10-2019, 01:08 AM
I'm not one for taxis very often these days but I used to book a cab from Livi all the 4's to take me back to West Calder from Edinburgh for around £20 when black cabs were charging around £40 which was fair enough. My son came back in the house last weekend cursing, he used Uber from Why Not nightclub which I believe is in George St to West Calder via East Calder and was charged £120, I literally ran out the house and tried to catch the chancing *****. Surely that's not the going rate these days?

Hibbyradge
13-10-2019, 09:15 AM
I'm not one for taxis very often these days but I used to book a cab from Livi all the 4's to take me back to West Calder from Edinburgh for around £20 when black cabs were charging around £40 which was fair enough. My son came back in the house last weekend cursing, he used Uber from Why Not nightclub which I believe is in George St to West Calder via East Calder and was charged £120, I literally ran out the house and tried to catch the chancing *****. Surely that's not the going rate these days?

No, it's not the going rate.

That will have been a surge price.

Unfortunately for your son, the surge price is stated clearly before the fare is accepted. Folk who are careless or too pished to notice can end up losing out.

Sadly, I guess that applies to a lot of things on life.

Edit: The receipt on his phone should show the surge calculation, I believe.

Here's another example; https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/29/womans-outrage-90-uber-bill-despite-warned-4-3x-surge-charge-place-7586667/

patch1875
13-10-2019, 10:17 AM
Out with mates last weekend let down twice by Uber, it was the mate that insisted on using them, I always use Black Cabs and will continue to do so after that fiasco.

Was it a short journey? Uber now tell the driver the destination so are knocking back the short ones of it busy.

patch1875
13-10-2019, 10:19 AM

Driver doesn’t set the price. The passenger gets told it first so it’s up to them if they accept it.

If it’s high surge wait a few mins and try again it can quickly come down.

Andy Bee
13-10-2019, 10:28 AM
No, it's not the going rate.

That will have been a surge price.

Unfortunately for your son, the surge price is stated clearly before the fare is accepted. Folk who are careless or too pished to notice can end up losing out.

Sadly, I guess that applies to a lot of things on life.

Edit: The receipt on his phone should show the surge calculation, I believe.

Here's another example; https://metro.co.uk/2018/05/29/womans-outrage-90-uber-bill-despite-warned-4-3x-surge-charge-place-7586667/

Driver doesn’t set the price. The passenger gets told it first so it’s up to them if they accept it.

If it’s high surge wait a few mins and try again it can quickly come down.

Thanks for clearing that up folks, so it's down to my sons lack of understanding the value of money, that'll be getting sorted out. :greengrin

As a point of interest, does the Uber driver receive extra payment or does the surge charge go into the Uber coffers?

EI255
13-10-2019, 10:29 AM
I enjoy going out my way NOT to get taxis nowadays. Cheaper and easier ways to get around.

Sent from my LG-H840 using Tapatalk

patch1875
13-10-2019, 10:36 AM
Thanks for clearing that up folks, so it's down to my sons lack of understanding the value of money, that'll be getting sorted out. :greengrin

As a point of interest, does the Uber driver receive extra payment or does the surge charge go into the Uber coffers?

Uber take a set percentage of the fare no matter surge or not.

These come up basically every Sunday morning . People think Uber is on a constant surge and ripping people off you don’t hear much when they get taken from one side of the city to another for 7 quid or the airport for £15.

Simple supply and demand pricing structure.

Hibbyradge
13-10-2019, 10:43 AM

The drivers get it, less Uber's usual %.

BroxburnHibee
13-10-2019, 10:55 AM
Interesting.

https://twitter.com/Plastician/status/1182234740511985664?s=19

Scouse Hibee
13-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Was it a short journey? Uber now tell the driver the destination so are knocking back the short ones of it busy.

Yes both relatively short journeys.

Hibbyradge
13-10-2019, 11:34 AM
Interesting.

https://twitter.com/Plastician/status/1182234740511985664?s=19

That's beyond belief! I've no idea how that could have happened.

I imagine that the guy will be refunded and get his cash back, but how the guy thought he could get away with it is mind boggling.

BroxburnHibee
13-10-2019, 11:39 AM
That's beyond belief! I've no idea how that could have happened.

I imagine that the guy will be refunded and get his cash back, but how the guy thought he could get away with it is mind boggling.

So destinations can be changed after booking by either party by the looks of it.

That's not the narrative I've been reading.

Hibbyradge
13-10-2019, 11:40 AM
So destinations can be changed after booking by either party by the looks of it.

That's not the narrative I've been reading.

Me neither, but I suppose it makes sense if the passenger changes their mind.

I'm not sure what justification there is for allowing the driver to do it, through.

patch1875
13-10-2019, 11:47 AM
Me neither, but I suppose it makes sense if the passenger changes their mind.

I'm not sure what justification there is for allowing the driver to do it, through.

Driver can do it also sometimes use it when people can’t work out the multiple drop offs. If the driver changes it it will flag on the customers phone also.

Uber will end up refunding it the good thing with them it’s all logged on the systems.
Nice fare though!

BroxburnHibee
13-10-2019, 12:04 PM
Driver can do it also sometimes use it when people can’t work out the multiple drop offs. If the driver changes it it will flag on the customers phone also.

Uber will end up refunding it the good thing with them it’s all logged on the systems.
Nice fare though!

No sure they will refund. Looks like they're trying to say he changed it.

Hibbyradge
13-10-2019, 12:11 PM
There are chancers and criminals everywhere and incidents like these do a lot of harm to Uber's reputation.

There must be millions of incident free Uber journeys in the UK every year (Uber has 75 million users worldwide), but you can't blame black cab drivers for highlighting the failures.

I've used both traditional taxis and Uber in cities around the world and it seems to me that there's a place for both.

Interestingly, in Rio last month, the official advice was to use Uber as it was safer due to the records kept centrally.

If there were enough taxis on the road, Uber wouldn't be able to use surge, but there's not. I'm not sure how you square that circle.

Hibbyradge
13-10-2019, 12:46 PM
No sure they will refund. Looks like they're trying to say he changed it.

I'd be very surprised if Uber would defend a driver who was basically kidnapping his customers.

I also find it hard to believe that a driver would do that in the first place. What if the passenger wakes up after 5 minutes.

Bonkers, the whole thing.

patch1875
13-10-2019, 12:58 PM
There are chancers and criminals everywhere and incidents like these do a lot of harm to Uber's reputation.

There must be millions of incident free Uber journeys in the UK every year (Uber has 75 million users worldwide), but you can't blame black cab drivers for highlighting the failures.

I've used both traditional taxis and Uber in cities around the world and it seems to me that there's a place for both.

Interestingly, in Rio last month, the official advice was to use Uber as it was safer due to the records kept centrally.

If there were enough taxis on the road, Uber wouldn't be able to use surge, but there's not. I'm not sure how you square that circle.

The hostility between the taxis and PHC seems to getting worse, there’s bad on both sides but drivers need to calm down or something serious is going to happen.

There are some groups just set on stirring up trouble.

lord bunberry
25-11-2019, 11:34 AM
I read today that Uber have been banned in London again. 14000 rides were taken with unlicensed/uninsured drivers. Apparently it’s possible to upload your photo to someone else’s account. It’s really pissing me off that this company is being allowed to circumvent the rules while I have to do everything by the book. Before anyone takes this as a rant against Uber from a black cab driver, it’s not. The genie is out of the bottle now and if Uber left another company would take there place, I just don’t think it’s fair that the playing field is far from level.

Killiehibbie
25-11-2019, 01:04 PM
I read today that Uber have been banned in London again. 14000 rides were taken with unlicensed/uninsured drivers. Apparently it’s possible to upload your photo to someone else’s account. It’s really pissing me off that this company is being allowed to circumvent the rules while I have to do everything by the book. Before anyone takes this as a rant against Uber from a black cab driver, it’s not. The genie is out of the bottle now and if Uber left another company would take there place, I just don’t think it’s fair that the playing field is far from level.
Nothing much will change, they'll appeal the decision promise to get their act together and carry on regardless.

BroxburnHibee
25-11-2019, 01:11 PM

And if that's happening in London you can guarantee it's going on in Edinburgh and Glasgow too.

lord bunberry
25-11-2019, 01:27 PM
Nothing much will change, they'll appeal the decision promise to get their act together and carry on regardless.
I think you’re right.

lord bunberry
25-11-2019, 01:30 PM
And if that's happening in London you can guarantee it's going on in Edinburgh and Glasgow too.
Probably, it’s out of order they’re able to do this. You wouldn’t see a taxi driver letting someone else drive their taxi.

Killiehibbie
25-11-2019, 01:48 PM
You can guarantee that it's going on everywhere. 14000 hires in London and many more they don't know about or will admit to.

grunt
25-11-2019, 02:08 PM
Good to see this. I rarely use taxis but the other day I arranged a PHC to the airport, as i was coming back by train, so it didn't make sense to use the airport car park.

Seeing the driver use satnav to get to the airport was not at all encouraging, and his satnav took him some weird way to get there. I know the route well, as I frequently drive it. If I have one overriding concern with the growth of PHC and Uber more generally, it is with the de-professionalisation of the role of the taxi driver. If that's a word, that is.

patch1875
25-11-2019, 04:36 PM

I drive for Uber no idea what happens in London but in Edinburgh we all play by the same rules set by the council here and as you know that’s pretty strict.

As for using the Uber app think the issue with changing details was fixed years ago you cannot change names or pictures.

Scouse Hibee
25-11-2019, 05:00 PM
Deciding on Black Cab, Private Hire or Uber is like going to the supermarket and having the choice of Premium, Normal or Value labelled goods. You get what you pay for and pick what you can afford.

I prefer Black Cabs and Tesco’s finest myself, each to their own.

patch1875
25-11-2019, 06:07 PM
Deciding on Black Cab, Private Hire or Uber is like going to the supermarket and having the choice of Premium, Normal or Value labelled goods. You get what you pay for and pick what you can afford.

If your happy paying double the price then that’s your choice.

Like it or not Uber just works. Everything controlled from your phone with no physical money changing hands, use it all around the world with no language issues and turning up within minutes and fully trackable.

Times have changed.

Jack
25-11-2019, 06:59 PM

Like it or not Uber just works. Everything controlled from your phone with no physical money changing hands, use it all around the world with no language issues and turning up within minutes and fully trackable.

Times have changed.

Using it around the world is when I use it, I tend not to use taxis in this country.

I was in Durban earlier this year. The regular taxi drivers were unreliable to say the least.

Uber cars had to be under 3 years old and in perfect condition. If the driver was was given 4/5 as a marking he was given a warning any less than that they were sacked!

Scouse Hibee
25-11-2019, 07:08 PM

Times have changed.

I tried Uber they let me down twice, I'll stick to a taxi I can rely on even if it is more expensive, you certainly get what you pay for, that has never changed with time.

Have already pre booked my black cab for Christmas Day too, safe in the knowledge it will turn up on time just like previous years.

lord bunberry
25-11-2019, 09:55 PM

Times have changed.
They have changed and Uber isn’t the only company offering the service you describe, all the taxi companies offer the same. The difference is a black cab driver will know where he’s going and there isn’t a surge. I doubt Uber is half the price either considering they’ve just put their fares up by 20%.

Future17
26-11-2019, 08:08 AM
I tried Uber they let me down twice, I'll stick to a taxi I can rely on even if it is more expensive, you certainly get what you pay for, that has never changed with time.

Have already pre booked my black cab for Christmas Day too, safe in the knowledge it will turn up on time just like previous years.

I've got major reservations about Uber, but my experience of their timeousness and reliability is much better than in comparison to black cabs, albeit based on a smaller sample size.

I've been let down twice by black cabs in the past 6 months, which is 100% of the times I've pre-booked one. Each occasion was for a time-critical journey for which I was then late. I've had other similar experiences in recent years.

As much as it's still annoying, at least you're informed when your Uber isn't going to show up.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2019, 08:45 AM
I've got major reservations about Uber, but my experience of their timeousness and reliability is much better than in comparison to black cabs, albeit based on a smaller sample size.

I've been let down twice by black cabs in the past 6 months, which is 100% of the times I've pre-booked one. Each occasion was for a time-critical journey for which I was then late. I've had other similar experiences in recent years.

As much as it's still annoying, at least you're informed when your Uber isn't going to show up.

I can only go by my own experiences, 100% success with pre booked black cabs and 100% failure with Uber only tried them twice.
My black cab better turn up on Christmas Day now! 😁

patch1875
26-11-2019, 09:00 AM
They have changed and Uber isn’t the only company offering the service you describe, all the taxi companies offer the same. The difference is a black cab driver will know where he’s going and there isn’t a surge. I doubt Uber is half the price either considering they’ve just put their fares up by 20%.

But none work anywhere as well as Uber Gett is a waste of time when it’s busy you never get anything.

Like I said it’s just works well you know when it’s coming and how much it’s going to be with plenty warning if it’s a surge(which has been changed) the 20% only applies at certain times first increase in 4 years.

Like it or not Uber is here to stay, even in London they have been operating since 2012 50k cars and 3.5 million customers they will get the licence extended again.

Sudds_1
26-11-2019, 10:37 AM

I'm a waitrose man myself....must go.... Limousine is waiting.😁🙄

Captain Trips
26-11-2019, 10:42 AM
I have just spent 10 days in Las Vegas and I used Uber and another company called Lyft. I have to say it was well priced allowed us to visit a few off strip places at an excellent price and so for me I think its excellent. I also used it in London just the other week on return and again found it excellent.

IMO if the company go about there business correctly I would say the system is safer than hailing a cab. As the driver the car and customer all will leave a digital trace of pickup driver and car.

Captain Trips
26-11-2019, 10:49 AM

Not actually true I found some of the interest is seeing what vehicle you will get, USA yes was interesting and on one occasion we got a Dodge Ram 1500. I get a private hire here it will be a Skoda Octavia 99% of time. Ubers here I have had BMWs Mercs all sorts so IMO excellent.

Scouse Hibee
26-11-2019, 11:11 AM
Not actually true I found some of the interest is seeing what vehicle you will get, USA yes was interesting and on one occasion we got a Dodge Ram 1500. I get a private hire here it will be a Skoda Octavia 99% of time. Ubers here I have had BMWs Mercs all sorts so IMO excellent.

The fact that it could have been a BMW or a Merc that let me down doesn’t excite me I’m afraid.

Future17
26-11-2019, 12:00 PM
I can only go by my own experiences, 100% success with pre booked black cabs and 100% failure with Uber only tried them twice.
My black cab better turn up on Christmas Day now! 😁

If it does, send me the number. :greengrin

SRHibs
26-11-2019, 03:19 PM
Did a £4 journey in a Model S the other day which would have cost me £8 in a black cab. In my experience Uber drivers are also much friendlier, although it's all bit of a charade due to the rating system.

Speedy
26-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Very rarely use private hires but use both black cabs and uber. Can't say there is much between the service and price can go either way depending on how busy it is.

Uber obviously has the benefit of being ready to use in different cities.

lord bunberry
26-11-2019, 10:12 PM
I have just spent 10 days in Las Vegas and I used Uber and another company called Lyft. I have to say it was well priced allowed us to visit a few off strip places at an excellent price and so for me I think its excellent. I also used it in London just the other week on return and again found it excellent.

IMO if the company go about there business correctly I would say the system is safer than hailing a cab. As the driver the car and customer all will leave a digital trace of pickup driver and car.
If you’re last sentence was correct there wouldn’t be any concern about the safety of using Uber and London wouldn’t be refusing to grant them a license. Leaving a digital trace is no good to you if youve just been raped or murdered. That goes for any form of taxi not just Uber, the vast majority of black cabs hailed are from companies with a pda that track each job and the rest can be tracked via their mobile phone.
I really hate all this utter **** that’s put out by people who haven’t got a clue how things work. The difference between Uber and black cabs is that black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers and Uber drivers aren’t. Uber are cheaper so that’s the balance that the customer makes. Ill informed opinions on safety do nothing to progress the debate.

Just_Jimmy
27-11-2019, 04:21 AM
If you’re last sentence was correct there wouldn’t be any concern about the safety of using Uber and London wouldn’t be refusing to grant them a license. Leaving a digital trace is no good to you if youve just been raped or murdered. That goes for any form of taxi not just Uber, the vast majority of black cabs hailed are from companies with a pda that track each job and the rest can be tracked via their mobile phone.
I really hate all this utter **** that’s put out by people who haven’t got a clue how things work. The difference between Uber and black cabs is that black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers and Uber drivers aren’t. Uber are cheaper so that’s the balance that the customer makes. Ill informed opinions on safety do nothing to progress the debate.Its much easier to get that tracking data from a taxi firm than from Uber. Especially when you need it for an official reason.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Captain Trips
28-11-2019, 01:43 AM
I really hate all this utter **** that’s put out by people who haven’t got a clue how things work. The difference between Uber and black cabs is that black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers and Uber drivers aren’t. Uber are cheaper so that’s the balance that the customer makes. Ill informed opinions on safety do nothing to progress the debate.

They have license in loads of places. Nothing helps you if you been murdered but put it this way every uber I used until can be proved otherwise I have name Reg times of every driver used. When we arrived back in Scotland we just got a black cab outside station. I have no idea drivers name Reg and paid in cash.

I'm not having a go at taxis I just do not think Uber is bad and can only go on my experience and to add nor have I had a bad experience in a black cab.

Nothing I'll informed about it all my journeys are right here with driver and car. As it stands I want to go from A to B Uber track it and I have record of it they get me from A to B.

So you state black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers fair enough. Take out tracking apps etc that what does this mean for my basic A to B vs Uber.

Better driving.
Less chance of accident.

patch1875
28-11-2019, 02:07 PM
They have license in loads of places. Nothing helps you if you been murdered but put it this way every uber I used until can be proved otherwise I have name Reg times of every driver used. When we arrived back in Scotland we just got a black cab outside station. I have no idea drivers name Reg and paid in cash.

I'm not having a go at taxis I just do not think Uber is bad and can only go on my experience and to add nor have I had a bad experience in a black cab.

Nothing I'll informed about it all my journeys are right here with driver and car. As it stands I want to go from A to B Uber track it and I have record of it they get me from A to B.

So you state black cab drivers are professional taxi drivers fair enough. Take out tracking apps etc that what does this mean for my basic A to B vs Uber.

Better driving.
Less chance of accident.

Times have changed. I’m not disputing black cabs are not safe and professional but people are using Uber because it’s simple,cheap, reliable and works great.

its the go to mode of transport for the youngsters and many tourists and now seeing much more big businesses using it for employee transport because of the coverage around the world.

I’ve got no idea how much it has affected the black cabs in Edinburgh but going by the constant seething that evident maybe it has I think they just need to accept Uber or however is here and accept the competition.

i only drive with Uber occasionally but every time I go back it seems like it’s busier than before the kids and student than use it are now getting their parents to use it, more and more business are using it for contracts and tourists use it for getting around as it’s so simple.

I would reckon they will get the licence sorted in London.business leaders are recommending they do yes there are issues that appear to need addressed but it’s not just about that this is also political.

Cataplana
30-11-2019, 08:36 AM
Uber from Muirhouse to Gorgie Road, Dalry end (don't ask), quoting £9 - 12. A black cab is about £12.

Then I look at the route, and they go by Clermiston Road, instead of Murrayfield Avenue.

That, friends is why using Private Hire in any form is a false economy.

Future17
30-11-2019, 09:18 AM
Uber from Muirhouse to Gorgie Road, Dalry end (don't ask), quoting £9 - 12. A black cab is about £12.

Then I look at the route, and they go by Clermiston Road, instead of Murrayfield Avenue.

I think you might need to increase your sample size before making statements like that. :greengrin

easty
30-11-2019, 09:47 AM
I’m a big fan of uber, but they ****ed me over yesterday.

Ordered an Uber from longstone to murrayfield, it says it’d be 14 mins, when it was close I went outside. Waited. Waited longer. Then all of a sudden the driver cancelled.

It was gonna be 10 mins for another one.

Plus, I got charged a £4 cancellation fee! It’s been refunded...but only as an Uber credit on my account.

Scouse Hibee
30-11-2019, 10:09 AM
I’m a big fan of uber, but they ****ed me over yesterday.

Ordered an Uber from longstone to murrayfield, it says it’d be 14 mins, when it was close I went outside. Waited. Waited longer. Then all of a sudden the driver cancelled.

It was gonna be 10 mins for another one.

Plus, I got charged a £4 cancellation fee! It’s been refunded...but only as an Uber credit on my account.

Similar to my two and only attempts to use Uber, 100% failure rate.

patch1875
30-11-2019, 02:03 PM

Tell them to go the route you want. Uber app uses traffic monitoring so direct is always the quickest.

Green Man
08-12-2019, 09:30 PM
Coming back from the airport tonight, I checked the Uber app and they were quoting £14-18, but wanted to charge me £18 at the point of ordering. We walked over to the taxi rank, waited a minute and a taxi came along. It cost £17 something. I know Uber trips are cheaper sometimes, but not always.

calumhibee1
09-12-2019, 08:10 PM
Coming back from the airport tonight, I checked the Uber app and they were quoting £14-18, but wanted to charge me £18 at the point of ordering. We walked over to the taxi rank, waited a minute and a taxi came along. It cost £17 something. I know Uber trips are cheaper sometimes, but not always.

Are you sure it was asking you to pay at the point of ordering? As someone who has used probably around a hundred Uber’s I’ve never once had to do that.

I’ve had to get two black cabs from my house to the airport and back for work recently. £22 on the way our, £27 on the way back. Got an Uber on Friday cause I was going on holiday and it was £14.50. All the journeys were on weekdays at roughly the same time (different weekdays mind you but I doubt that’ll make much odds).

Also, if there’s any NHS staff on here you can sign up for either 2 x £10 Uber rides for free or 2 x £10 vouchers for Uber eats to use over Xmas :aok:

Hermit Crab
10-12-2019, 08:44 AM

Did you forget to turn the meter on until you were going up the clery hill?? :greengrin

patch1875
11-12-2019, 01:37 PM

It doesn’t actually charge you think it’s like a pre authorisation it does it with me with Apple Pay but does the final amount as normal.

Green Man
11-12-2019, 04:23 PM
It was Apple Pay I was going to use. I’ve used Uber a couple of times previously and didn’t get asked for payment until the end, so if they’ve changed it to request pre authorisation they could make it clear that that’s what it’s doing.

I think Uber in unclear in a few ways, the payment issue being one. There is limited detail in the help, and lack of accountability - it seems that a driver can cancel a job at will, without explanation.

J-C
12-12-2019, 09:08 AM
It was Apple Pay I was going to use. I’ve used Uber a couple of times previously and didn’t get asked for payment until the end, so if they’ve changed it to request pre authorisation they could make it clear that that’s what it’s doing.

I think Uber in unclear in a few ways, the payment issue being one. There is limited detail in the help, and lack of accountability - it seems that a driver can cancel a job at will, without explanation.

They do that because they see the price of the job after it's been given to them,they then wait till the prices get surged before accepting them again,bit of a con.

danhibees1875
12-12-2019, 09:41 AM
They do that because they see the price of the job after it's been given to them,they then wait till the prices get surged before accepting them again,bit of a con.

While that sounds possible, are you sure it actually happens?

I use Uber every so often (I prefer to walk or take the bus if possible) and don't think I've ever had a fare cancelled despite there usually not being any notable surge on (if there was I wouldn't use them at that point).

patch1875
12-12-2019, 12:34 PM

Nope that’s not correct.

J-C
12-12-2019, 12:55 PM
While that sounds possible, are you sure it actually happens?

I use Uber every so often (I prefer to walk or take the bus if possible) and don't think I've ever had a fare cancelled despite there usually not being any notable surge on (if there was I wouldn't use them at that point).

A driver was telling us how he picked up some tourists who had been let down by Uber, the driver had cancelled the job quoted at £7 into town, they went to rebook and the fare quoted was £22.

patch1875
12-12-2019, 01:08 PM
A driver was telling us how he picked up some tourists who had been let down by Uber, the driver had cancelled the job quoted at £7 into town, they went to rebook and the fare quoted was £22.

The chances the same driver getting that job again would be pretty slim so pointless.

the most common reason for cancelling is traffic not the fare.

Killiehibbie
12-12-2019, 01:58 PM
The chances the same driver getting that job again would be pretty slim so pointless.

Do hires appear on a bid screen that lets you know the area they are in or do they get allocated to nearest free car?

patch1875
12-12-2019, 02:24 PM
Do hires appear on a bid screen that lets you know the area they are in or do they get allocated to nearest free car?

The ride gets offered to the closest car. It tells you estimated fare and approx time & distance to pick up you then choose to accept or not(you get 15 seconds to do so).

If you’ve accepted you can’t see any other jobs although you may get offered your next one before you complete as you are the closest.

calumhibee1
12-12-2019, 02:48 PM

And the chances of there being a 3x surge (which as a regular user I've never even seen it at before) happen purely because of a cancelled job are also pretty slim.

patch1875
12-12-2019, 02:54 PM
And the chances of there being a 3x surge (which as a regular user I've never even seen it at before) happen purely because of a cancelled job are also pretty slim.

Yep the surge is based on supply & demand. Uber have recently done a price increase at peak times and along with that they have also tweaked the surge yes it still happens but it’s no longer as volatile or as high.

Theres lots of changes taking place just now most of them for the benefit of the customer but some decent ones for the driver also.

lord bunberry
13-12-2019, 11:22 PM
Yep the surge is based on supply & demand. Uber have recently done a price increase at peak times and along with that they have also tweaked the surge yes it still happens but it’s no longer as volatile or as high.

Theres lots of changes taking place just now most of them for the benefit of the customer but some decent ones for the driver also.
Honestly mate you’re like an advert for Uber on here. You defend everything and make a positive argument whenever possible. If there wasn’t an issue with Uber this thread wouldn’t still be on the front page of this forum. I’m a black cab driver and I will and frequently do point out issues with our trade, but you refuse point blank to recognise the problems Uber has. To be credible you need to be objective.

CapitalGreen
14-12-2019, 08:06 AM
Honestly mate you’re like an advert for Uber on here. You defend everything and make a positive argument whenever possible. If there wasn’t an issue with Uber this thread wouldn’t still be on the front page of this forum. I’m a black cab driver and I will and frequently do point out issues with our trade, but you refuse point blank to recognise the problems Uber has. To be credible you need to be objective.

patch1875 works for Uber and from what I’ve seen, most of his posts have been correcting inaccuracies posted by others on how the system/app works and the pricing mechanisms. If you want an objective discussion you need to have correct information and I consider people to be much more credible if they know what they are talking about rather than simply parroting myths heard from other cabbies

Since90+2
14-12-2019, 09:08 AM
Taxi drivers seem to constantly moan about Uber. At the end of the day if the service wasn't working effectively then folk wouldn't use it. It clearly does work very well hence why it's so popular.

Uber Drivers are on the whole the same as taxi drivers, working class people just trying to earn a living.