PDA

View Full Version : Milligan

Unseen work
02-02-2019, 05:17 PM
Got to admit I have been very critical of him this season but thought he was one of our best players today and had excellent distribution from defence.

Hanlon needs dropped as he has been brutal all season and seems to fancy himself more as a midfielder than a defender.

Defence has looked a joke when he’s been in it .

Diclonius
02-02-2019, 05:19 PM
MOTM for me.

SMAXXA
02-02-2019, 05:26 PM
Got to admit I have been very critical of him this season but thought he was one of our best players today and had excellent distribution from defence.

Hanlon needs dropped as he has been brutal all season and seems to fancy himself more as a midfielder than a defender.

Agree with that to be honest he did fine today and thought Hanlon wasn’t great as was Stevenson pretty poor but it’s his first game back didn’t look to have the same energy which may be expected due to injury. Only guess with Hanlon is he’s been injured also had a kid recently and that can really take it out you aswell but defo don’t think he’s been at the levels he can be and I’m sure he would find hard to disagree. Hope he rediscoveres his top form as i like him and want him in the team when at it

IberianHibernian
02-02-2019, 05:26 PM
My MOTM too .

tamig
02-02-2019, 05:43 PM
I haven’t rated him at centre-half but thought he was excellent today. He looked far better playing the free role rather than being a stopper. He used the ball well and I’m not sure if his previous poor - imo - form at the back was maybe down to him playing in a three with Efe who we know is a proper footballing CH. Very impressive today.

BullsCloseHibs
02-02-2019, 05:48 PM

Sums us up this season. No consistency, no spine, missing structure.
Hate to admit it but that's what Hearts do well. They rely on the spine players, Berra, Souter etc. We rely on players who might be dropped from one week to the next because of poor form. And that's the difference.

we are hibs
02-02-2019, 06:50 PM
I thought he was poor. Takes too many touches on the ball before passing it.

Ozyhibby
02-02-2019, 06:54 PM
I thought he was ok today but no more than that. I would rather we played with 4 at the back and an extra man in midfield.
Three at the back works well if you have proper wing backs but we have full backs so it just ends up with 5 at the back. When you have 5 at the back it’s easy for Milligan to get time on the ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

truehibernian
02-02-2019, 06:56 PM
Only thing I saw him do was deliver two terrific crossfield passes to Lewy second half - rest of the game he fouled needlessly, passes square too often and was hesitant - not a good player at all.

Smartie
02-02-2019, 06:56 PM

I thought he was excellent.

Not afraid to take a couple of touches until a decent passing opportunity opened up for him rather than just shell it up the park early and have it come back at him.

hibee_girl
02-02-2019, 06:57 PM
He was great today I thought, always organising the team from the back or trying to at least!

Wigson13
02-02-2019, 07:00 PM
With no more Effy unfortunately we need someone else who can carry the ball up the park, seems that Milligan is being tested as that player. Thought he had a fairly good game today and the defence looked pretty stable apart from the usual unforced errors!

Allant1981
02-02-2019, 07:00 PM
Played well today, broke up play, passing was good, fouled when needed to

hibsbollah
02-02-2019, 07:01 PM
I thought he improved second half, and two crossfield balls in particular were very accurate and should have led to more, but noone out there today really had much to shout about. The suspicion is Aberdeen just have slightly better players than us and will probably continue to do so.

CmoantheHibs
02-02-2019, 07:02 PM
I thought he played well. Showed desire and composure. One of our better performers.

Smartie
02-02-2019, 07:06 PM
I thought he improved second half, and two crossfield balls in particular were very accurate and should have led to more, but noone out there today really had much to shout about. The suspicion is Aberdeen just have slightly better players than us and will probably continue to do so.

I thought that their defence in particular was just a lot better than ours.

Our goal was probably quite cheap from their point of view but you didn't get a feeling we'd be allowed another one. They are solid and very hard to break down and whilst they aren't particularly creative or attractive, they have various threats throughout their team.

jeffers
02-02-2019, 07:07 PM

Glad I’m not the only one though maybe wouldn’t go as far as poor just thought he added very little and the game slowed down most times he had the ball. The majority of his passes were to another of the centre backs which came after he took a number of touches. I expect far more from a marquee signing who is captain of his country. I’d have hooked him at half time for another midfielder.

RossScott1991
02-02-2019, 07:09 PM
Troubling times when his performance makes people think he was out MOTM. I’d rather we play an extra man in midfield. Shaw was my motm

Smartie
02-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Glad I’m not the only one though maybe wouldn’t go as far as poor just thought he added very little and the game slowed down most times he had the ball. The majority of his passes were to another of the centre backs which came after he took a number of touches. I expect far more from a marquee signing who is captain of his country. I’d have hooked him at half time for another midfielder.

I don't remember many times when he spurned a chance to pass to someone in an advanced position to just give it to another defender.

He had his head up at all times and was trying to make it happen, our movement was often terrible and Aberdeen pressed us well.

If he didn't do what he did he'd just be lumping it up the park. We don't have the players to play hoofball.

judas
02-02-2019, 07:12 PM
Said it before. You can get a few caps for Oz and be inadequate for this league. But when you get more that 70, captain them and play in a World Cup you’re more than good enough for spfl.

hibsbollah
02-02-2019, 07:17 PM
I thought that their defence in particular was just a lot better than ours.

Our goal was probably quite cheap from their point of view but you didn't get a feeling we'd be allowed another one. They are solid and very hard to break down and whilst they aren't particularly creative or attractive, they have various threats throughout their team.

Midfield is where they are just streets ahead of us. Ferguson, Stewart (who is a sly wee ****er but also run us ragged throughout, my MOTM) Shinnie and Mackay Steven dominated.

jeffers
02-02-2019, 07:18 PM
I don't remember many times when he spurned a chance to pass to someone in an advanced position to just give it to another defender.

He had his head up at all times and was trying to make it happen, our movement was often terrible and Aberdeen pressed us well.

If he didn't do what he did he'd just be lumping it up the park. We don't have the players to play hoofball.

He was slightly better in the second half but the first half in particular he passed it sideways too often, slowed it down and offered very little in my opinion.

You are correct he didn’t lump it up the park, he took a number of touches, passed it to either DM or PH for them to do so. I do agree though re our movement and Aberdeen’s pressing.

SneakersO'Toole
02-02-2019, 07:19 PM
He was average at best and contributed to an overall poor defensive display.

We need better.

One Day Soon
02-02-2019, 07:21 PM
We don't really have a midfield, we have different collections of players who occupy that space from week to week without being a unit.

matty_f
02-02-2019, 07:24 PM
He was fine today. I thought he dealt with Aberdeen pretty well other than giving away a few needless fouls.

FifeHibs
02-02-2019, 07:30 PM
My MOTM too .

He was horrific

SquashedFrogg
02-02-2019, 07:33 PM
He was horrific

Fifers eh. Damn bridge.

hibby6270
02-02-2019, 07:35 PM
Based on his display today, Milligan is NOT, I repeat NOT a centre half/central defender.
He may be versatile but never a central defender.

There was a game earlier this season, can’t remember which one, (it was an evening game though) where he had to go central defence after someone was either injured or red carded and had to go off and for the 30 minutes or so he filled in looked all at sea. He wasn’t as bad today but still was out of position and it showed. Having Milligan and Bartley in the same line up (they are both similar style in their true positions) was a bit of tactical naivety by May & Murray today imo. But hey what do I know?

Hiber-nation
02-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Milligan gave away a few daft fouls but was very good apart from that. Played some lovely passes.

hibbysam
02-02-2019, 07:38 PM
He won nearly every header, and was our one player that attempted to show and get on the ball.

Bob Box Fish
02-02-2019, 07:42 PM
Played very well in the sweeper role, one of the few( only) players we have that can pass to feet under pressure.

tamig
02-02-2019, 07:47 PM
He was horrific

How was he horrific? What did he do wrong today?

Danderhall Hibs
02-02-2019, 07:48 PM
I thought he was decent - brought the ball out of defence well and played a few good balls. Good clearance off the line just before their 1st goal as well.

wookie70
02-02-2019, 07:51 PM
He won nearly every header, and was our one player that attempted to show and get on the ball.
His poor header led to Hanlon being booked which led to their first goal. I thought he looked decent with the ball at his feet and he played some lovely balls to Lewis. In defence I'm not convinced as he is slow, easily beaten and was very lucky not to get booked today.

FRes Hibbie
02-02-2019, 08:34 PM
Perhaps not his fault but this really annoyed me all game today: when we had easy possession in our own half - typically Milligan on the ball - you could see he was looking for the long "world cup pass" to set something up. He was getting frustrated because the pass was never on and it seemed to me he was frustrated by a lack of decent runs - unfairly imo. So many times we had three CBs and a deep midfielder in our own half and Aberdeen had everyone behind the ball. Milligan was getting annoyed but it was 10 Aberdeen players versus 6/7 hibs players forward enough to be a target for his desired long ball. If you're going to have three CBs you have to be brave enough to have them run the ball out of defence or make runs beyond the ball when you're trying to attack otherwise you just end up with less attackers to aim a forward pass towards.

bordergreen
02-02-2019, 08:35 PM
MOTM for me.

Yep!

Tommy75
02-02-2019, 08:46 PM
"Horrific" yet "MOTM" for some? I know opinions vary but come on!! He was solid enough, was always looking to receive the ball and made some nice passes. I would be more than happy for him to have a run in the team at centre half.

I think his main challenge was finding players. A few times today he had the ball and absolutely nobody was showing for it. McGregor and Hanlon were giving him no options. Bar one decent cross Stevenson was hiding out on the wing, clearly not wanting the ball and when he did get it done absolutely nothing with it. Gray on the other wing looked uninterested and unfit.

tamig
02-02-2019, 09:04 PM
"Horrific" yet "MOTM" for some? I know opinions vary but come on!! He was solid enough, was always looking to receive the ball and made some nice passes. I would be more than happy for him to have a run in the team at centre half.

I think his main challenge was finding players. A few times today he had the ball and absolutely nobody was showing for it. McGregor and Hanlon were giving him no options. Bar one decent cross Stevenson was hiding out on the wing, clearly not wanting the ball and when he did get it done absolutely nothing with it. Gray on the other wing looked uninterested and unfit.
Gray took a sore one from a sneaky GMS challenge towards the end of the first half. I was surprised he came out after HT.

The Harp Awakes
02-02-2019, 09:42 PM
Never lumps the ball up the park. Good long passing today. I think he was decent.

Hibeesmad
02-02-2019, 09:55 PM
The guy is a good footballer and a good professional. Not captain of Australia for no reason. Fantastic signing by Lennon.

Weegreenman
02-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Wasn’t happy when I saw he was playing today if I’m honest and then I saw he was playing CH :confused: Totally won me over with a very confident performance. The big question is, will he play in that same position next week? I have my doubts. :rolleyes:

Ozyhibby
02-02-2019, 09:59 PM
Wasn’t happy when I saw he was playing today if I’m honest and then I saw he was playing CH :confused: Totally won me over with a very confident performance. The big question is, will he play in that same position next week? I have my doubts. :rolleyes:

Even if he was as good as some think, are we going to start with 6 defensive players every week?

CMurdoch
02-02-2019, 10:35 PM
His best position is defensive midfield.
His best attributes are he is a leader, reads the game well and can pass accurately over any length
His weakness is lack of pace.

Accordingly he must be played as the defensive midfield player on front of the central defenders and be the link between the defence and the creative midfielders and strikers.
He did okay today in the back 3 but his talents are wasted there.

Additionally when Milligan is played in midfield Marvin cannot play as he struggles to retain the ball and to pass to a colleague so has no role. Only McGregor is as bad as Marv with the ball at his feet but his tackling, heading and most importantly his position in the team mean his ability on the ball is not such an issue.

Hibs now have enough good players to make a good team but have to play the best players and play them in their best positions. There have been times this season when i have almost thought we are trying to lose by deliberately playing the wrong players and playing players in the wrong positions.

We should always play our best passers: Milligan, Gauld and Slivka in the midfield and build our team around that. If you can't retain the ball you will always struggle as a team.

Jones28
02-02-2019, 11:55 PM

That makes a poor player does it? Pinging lovely through balls instead a first touch howf is world class however...

Danderhall Hibs
03-02-2019, 12:22 AM
Even if he was as good as some think, are we going to start with 6 defensive players every week?

I’ve read a few folk say that winning is everything so I suppose if there’s 8 or 9 defensive players and we scrape a 1-0 it doesn’t matter and we’re all happy?

SquashedFrogg
03-02-2019, 12:24 AM
His poor header led to Hanlon being booked which led to their first goal. I thought he looked decent with the ball at his feet and he played some lovely balls to Lewis. In defence I'm not convinced as he is slow, easily beaten and was very lucky not to get booked today.

If keeper shouts, he lets it go back into keepers arms, first goal easily avoided.

Keeper doesn't shout.

Although to be fair, after that he even clears off line during the scramble.

The Harp Awakes
03-02-2019, 12:29 AM
His best attributes are he is a leader, reads the game well and can pass accurately over any length

Accordingly he must be played as the defensive midfield player on front of the central defenders and be the link between the defence and the creative midfielders and strikers.

Additionally when Milligan is played in midfield Marvin cannot play as he struggles to retain the ball and to pass to a colleague so has no role. Only McGregor is as bad as Marv with the ball at his feet but his tackling, heading and most importantly his position in the team mean his ability on the ball is not such an issue.

Hibs now have enough good players to make a good team but have to play the best players and play them in their best positions. There have been times this season when i have almost thought we are trying to lose by deliberately playing the wrong players and playing players in the wrong positions.

We should always play our best passers: Milligan, Gauld and Slivka in the midfield and build our team around that. If you can't retain the ball you will always struggle as a team.

Not agreed with you on other threads CM but you are spot on with the above. Sounds such common sense but often the obvious is ignored when it's staring you in the face.

ekhibee
03-02-2019, 01:31 AM

I agree that Milligan's best position seems to be defensive midfield, but I don't see him as a leader at all, not for Hibs anyway. Before he signed, it could be people thought, wrongly, that he would be a kind of Matty Jack type, but he's not like that at all. I've seen a lot worse at Hibs, and it's useful having someone that can play in different positions, but in the games I've seen him in he's been okay, nothing special, although as you implied correctly he's not always playing in his best position. Against Kilmarnock, Stewart danced circles round him, but I thought Milligan was a bit better in that respect today. I don't want to critisize the guy too much, he puts a lot of effort in, I just don't see him as anything out of the ordinary, but maybe that's where we as a team are at the moment.

Ozyhibby
03-02-2019, 01:46 AM
I’ve read a few folk say that winning is everything so I suppose if there’s 8 or 9 defensive players and we scrape a 1-0 it doesn’t matter and we’re all happy?

It would be nice to test that theory. [emoji3]

yonder1875
03-02-2019, 01:58 AM
Him and Shaw were our best players today.

SteveHFC
03-02-2019, 02:41 AM
Best player we’ve had since Sauzee.

Forza Fred
03-02-2019, 06:36 AM
He was close to my MOM. Today.

Can’t understand The negative comments directed towards him on today’s performance.

we are hibs
03-02-2019, 06:58 AM
That makes a poor player does it? Pinging lovely through balls instead a first touch howf is world class however...

What you rambling on about? When did I say he was a poor player? I didn't see what was so good about him yesterday. He isn't very good in one on one situations. He takes an age to do anything on the ball. That's not saying he should lump the ball forward ffs just get a bit more urgent when we are 2-1 down instead of wanting about half a minute to find a pass.

Rogic29
03-02-2019, 07:34 AM
Said it before. You can get a few caps for Oz and be inadequate for this league. But when you get more that 70, captain them and play in a World Cup you’re more than good enough for spfl.

Not too sure on that at all, Matt Mckay struggled in the 2nd division with Rangers yet played 59 games for Australia and I'm pretty sure he captained the side for 3-4 games. Milligan has had a couple of solid games but nothing to get overly excited about and lets not pretend, any player with a bit of trickery or pace will get past him with ease and that's why he's been playing CB so he has a bit of cover and not always exposed to 1v1 situations in the midfield. I'm also struggling to see how he was averaging a goal every 4.8 games in the A-League- I guess we can put that down to the terrible defending on display. To be fair to him at least his attitude seems right, he could've easily done a Maclaren and take the easy option but he genuinely wants to be at Hibs.

Tyler Durden
03-02-2019, 09:18 AM
Milligan was ok yesterday, which is better than his past 4 or 5 appearances. Wasn’t hard to be better than Hanlon and McGregor who are both contributors to losing bad goals consistently now.

I’m not sure why people are praising his passing yesterday, it was basic stuff from the player that Aberdeen were happy to leave spare on the ball. He is far too slow on the ball and he rarely seems to win us the ball back like we’d see from an Ambrose. Or a Beuzelin or McGeouch when playing in deep midfield role.

Despite this, McGregor has been so bad I’d try Milligan and Hanlon in a back 4 for next few games and see how they do. Or Milligan and the new loan player

The_Horde
05-02-2019, 09:32 PM
I felt he was ok. I remain unconvinced by him at centre half and would prefer it if we popped him back in midfield soon.

I felt he passed the ball well but was caught under the ball too often and looked a rabbit in the headlights in one on one situations, particularly one in the second half when he just backed off and backed off.

Also, I know I said he passed the ball well but I felt at times it took too long for him to release the ball and he played the safe ball on far too many occasions. Particularly for someone who normally plays in midfield.

I am not looking forward to him playing at the back again tomorrow night, particularly with the pace Celtic have available to them.

Diclonius
05-02-2019, 09:35 PM
I'd put him alongside McGregor tomorrow evening in a back 4. Hanlon needs time out as for whatever reason he hasn't been performing.

H18 SFR
05-02-2019, 09:35 PM
I felt he was ok. I remain unconvinced by him at centre half and would prefer it if we popped him back in midfield soon.

I felt he passed the ball well but was caught under the ball too often and looked a rabbit in the headlights in one on one situations, particularly one in the second half when he just backed off and backed off.

Also, I know I said he passed the ball well but I felt at times it took too long for him to release the ball and he played the safe ball on far too many occasions. Particularly for someone who normally plays in midfield.

I am not looking forward to him playing at the back again tomorrow night, particularly with the pace Celtic have available to them.

No manager in their right mind would play him there at the back after last time. Eddie May surely isn't that daft.

tamig
05-02-2019, 09:41 PM
I'd put him alongside McGregor tomorrow evening in a back 4. Hanlon needs time out as for whatever reason he hasn't been performing.

Think he is far more suited to a sweeper type role. Him and Daz as a pairing against them is a recipe for disaster imo. Thought he was excellent in the middle of a three.

Mango Man
05-02-2019, 09:45 PM

I agree, Hanlon definitely needs dropped for a couple of games, bang out of form, I'd give Johnson a try, get a bit of pace and mobility in our ageing defence.

BILLYHIBS
05-02-2019, 10:28 PM
Keep getting flashbacks of Forrest going past Milligan as though he was not there and Milligan missing the opportunity to launch Forrest into Row Z when he was still outside the box! :brickwall

SuperSirJMcginn
05-02-2019, 10:48 PM

I agree Hanlon has been poor for quite some time (I cant remember the last time he had a good game) however I don't think putting Milligan in is the answer. May as well give the new loan signing a chance in a back 4 - although based on our recent recruitment I don't hold out much hope for him

Bob Box Fish
17-02-2019, 03:26 AM
I think since Milligan has come back from international duties he has been excellent and has matched the potential of his first few games.

matty_f
17-02-2019, 05:35 AM
I think since Milligan has come back from international duties he has been excellent and has matched the potential of his first few games.

I agree. Another player who seems to be benefiting from having at least a little bit of a settled team.

He had a very good game yesterday.

SON OF PADDY
17-02-2019, 12:15 PM
I agree. Another player who seems to be benefiting from having at least a little bit of a settled team.

He had a very good game yesterday.

We could all benefit from a settled team!
Player's actually being played in their best positions, it's about bloody time.😉

JohnM1875
17-02-2019, 12:20 PM

Totally agree, been great since he came back. I gave him a bit of stick a while back. But he's definitely proved his worth.

B.H.F.C
17-02-2019, 12:25 PM
I don’t think Milligan has been as bad as some make out. Made a huge difference when he first came in then we started mucking about with his position and our shape.

Not one for the long term I don’t think but I’d have him in that role before Marv or Whittaker.

basehibby
17-02-2019, 12:26 PM
I thought he was ok today but no more than that. I would rather we played with 4 at the back and an extra man in midfield.
Three at the back works well if you have proper wing backs but we have full backs so it just ends up with 5 at the back. When you have 5 at the back it’s easy for Milligan to get time on the ball.

We WERE playing 4 at the back - Milligan was in midfield the whole match and a had a good game.

NB - just noticed OzyHibby's post I replied to was from weeks ago after we played Aberdeen - so my comment re 4 at the back is not relevant to his post.

FWIW I thought Milligan also had a decent performance against the Dons - he has been improving this year I think - perhaps due to more consistent selection.

bigwheel
17-02-2019, 12:32 PM

Tyler Durden
17-02-2019, 12:35 PM
We had 4 at the back all game

The only tactical change came when we moved from a diamond in the second half to a three across the middle with Milligan sitting behind them deeper in front of the back 4

Ozy’s quote there was from the Aberdeen game where Milligan played in a back 3.

We didn’t play a diamond at any point yesterday though, it was a flatter 4-4-2 IMO.

bigwheel
17-02-2019, 12:37 PM

We didn’t play a diamond at any point yesterday though, it was a flatter 4-4-2 IMO.

Ok. Didn’t realise that.

We certaintly moved to
Milligan sitting behind them once Omeonga came
In

MrRobot
17-02-2019, 02:15 PM
Milligan has been looking very good recently.

Tyler Durden
17-02-2019, 02:17 PM
Ok. Didn’t realise that.

We certaintly moved to
Milligan sitting behind them once Omeonga came
In

Yeah he did seem to sit deeper, maybe manager instructions or maybe just human nature. Did seem we sat off a bit too much at times but probably a tactic as we had great chances on the break. The one that Shaw made a mess of, in particular.

The_Horde
17-02-2019, 02:56 PM
Yeah he did seem to sit deeper, maybe manager instructions or maybe just human nature. Did seem we sat off a bit too much at times but probably a tactic as we had great chances on the break. The one that Shaw made a mess of, in particular.

Says as much in his post match interview.

Callum_62
17-02-2019, 03:17 PM
Been saying that he has been getting written off far too early

Been excellent since he came back in - hopefully he can keep it up

DTS
17-02-2019, 03:24 PM
I tho l since he came back from the Asia cup he has been our best player, excellent game yesterday. Attempted a few ambitious passes which got picked off but he then imeediately won it back.

ekhibee
17-02-2019, 04:56 PM

Totally agree apart from the last comment. don't really see any reason why Aberdeen should continue to have better players than us.

greenlex
17-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Totally agree apart from the last comment. don't really see any reason why Aberdeen should continue to have better players than us.

They’ve a bigger budget.

AgentDaleCooper
17-02-2019, 10:37 PM
It's pretty simple IMO - he's a midfielder.

The 90+2
17-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Very good player that a little bit more pace would be a superstar. Fantastic footballing head on him.

The 90+2
17-02-2019, 10:52 PM
They’ve a bigger budget.

Subscribe to HSL then folks. It’s the only way we can catch up.

FilipinoHibs
18-02-2019, 01:50 AM

Funny the manager described our formation as a diamond in post match interval.

Tyler Durden
18-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Funny the manager described our formation as a diamond in post match interval.

Hmm, was surprised by that so just watched his interview with Cliff.

He talks about playing against Hamilton’s diamond. How we got a 2 vs 1 in the build up to our opening goal against their diamond. Also talks about playing Horgan wide which reinforces the formation we played - a flat 4-4-2.

Jones28
18-02-2019, 08:38 AM

They have a wealthy benefactor putting money in.

SMAXXA
18-02-2019, 08:38 AM
Hmm, was surprised by that so just watched his interview with Cliff.

He talks about playing against Hamilton’s diamond. How we got a 2 vs 1 in the build up to our opening goal against their diamond. Also talks about playing Horgan wide which reinforces the formation we played - a flat 4-4-2.

Correct

King Dominique
18-02-2019, 09:19 AM
Played well on Saturday. Definitely not the man of the match though. Surely that was unquestionably Slivka.

hibbydad
18-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Yes Jones 28 but they also have a large number of fans contributing as well We need to smell the coffee and get behind HSL before it is too late

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2019, 10:23 AM
Milligan had a good game on Saturday

I just wish we had signed him 10 years ago he must have been some player

Slivka my man of the match on Saturday

Sproule Three
18-02-2019, 11:19 AM
Milligan had a good game on Saturday

I just wish we had signed him 10 years ago he must have been some player

Slivka my man of the match on Saturday

He was very good. Best ever Aussie player in the A league IMO . Maybe Mooy and Jedinak have gone on to better things but Milligan has always been a standout consistently .
Was going to go to Crystal palace a few years ago but had visa issues
Would have been way out our price range 10 years ago
My main worry when we got him was that he would have lost a lot of pace. Saw him play his first few games when I was back in Scotland and he looked comfortable but he seemed to lose a bit of confidence after Forrest tore him a new one at Parkheid .
Maybe he was focussing on Asian Cup and pressure of being captain of his country but he wasn't as effective fora few games .
Has looked back to his best since returning from Dubai but still worry that he will be exposed with lack of pace now,
He certainly isn't as dominant as he was down here but is playing at a much better standard. He didn't look out of place against the French in WC though . is a far better option in DM than Marv

Smartie
18-02-2019, 11:22 AM
He was very good. Best ever Aussie player in the A league IMO . Maybe Mooy and Jedinak have gone on to better things but Milligan has always been a standout consistently .
My main worry when we got him was that he would have lost a lot of pace. Saw him play his first few games when I was back in Scotland and he looked comfortable but he seemed to lose a bit of confidence after Forrest tore him a new one at Parkheid .
Maybe he was focussing on Asian Cup and pressure of being captain of his country but he wasn't as effective fora few games .
Has looked back to his best since returning from Dubai but still worry that he will be exposed with lack of pace now,
He certainly isn't as dominant as he was down here but is playing at a much better standard. He didn't look out of place against the French in WC though . is a far better option in DM than Marv

I thought he came back from International duty much fitter and sharper and that has shown in his performances.

Most players would be roasted by Forrest for pace, I wouldn't really hold that against him.

He's done very well over the past few games.

If he was 23 we wouldn't be talking about his pace as any lack of it hasn't really been evident in his performances.

overdrive
18-02-2019, 12:48 PM
I thought he came back from International duty much fitter and sharper and that has shown in his performances.

Most players would be roasted by Forrest for pace, I wouldn't really hold that against him.

He's done very well over the past few games.

If he was 23 we wouldn't be talking about his pace as any lack of it hasn't really been evident in his performances.

My dad pointed out on Saturday that's he's actually quite fast for his age.

matty_f
18-02-2019, 12:54 PM
My dad pointed out on Saturday that's he's actually quite fast for his age.

How old is your dad and how fast is he? :greengrin

Unseen work
18-02-2019, 12:59 PM
I again don’t think he is particularly slow.

For him though, the pace comes between his ears. He is experienced and will use this to get in the right positions to make key interceptions and tackles.

There’s been a lot of top defensive mids in the game with a lack of pace however there understanding of the game and positional knowledge covers this.

Iv been really impressed with him since his return from international duty.

He was my motm on Saturday.

To me Slivka done more silky stuff and in flashes, mainly the last half hour but imo Milligan bossed the whole game with good passing and vital tackles and interceptions

BILLYHIBS
18-02-2019, 01:00 PM

Just goes to show all about opinions

It was big Marv for me but blotted his copybook versus Aberdeen never looked fit and his 55 minutes on the park was a disaster

Hopefully he will come back fitter and better but Millsy is the man in possession and has done little wrong since returning from the Asia Cup

Unseen work
18-02-2019, 01:04 PM
Up until this month I would have chosen Bartley however I feel sometimes he isn’t good enough on the ball especially when teams like Aberdeen target and press him when in possession.

Milligan is very calm on the ball and can play good, slick forward passes into the attackers which is massive in us starting attacks.

SaulGoodman
22-02-2019, 09:53 PM
Brilliant tonight.

Diclonius
22-02-2019, 09:54 PM
Brilliant tonight.

Hasn't put a foot wrong since he came back from Australia.

hibee_girl
22-02-2019, 09:55 PM
Brilliant tonight.

Again

Tyler Durden
22-02-2019, 09:58 PM
Brilliant tonight.

He really wasn’t. Could easy have gave away a penalty, lost at the 2nd goal and just generally didn’t break up play as much as he could have.

He’s switched off at set pieces multiple times now, needs to sort that out.

Unseen work
22-02-2019, 10:03 PM
Never thought him or Slivka had the best games tonight, seemed to barely touch the ball and we got played through quite easily.

Defence was very suspect and seemed a bit too easy for Dundee at times

Attacking we were brilliant.

wookie70
22-02-2019, 10:03 PM
He really wasn’t. Could easy have gave away a penalty, lost at the 2nd goal and just generally didn’t break up play as much as he could have.

I agree with that. I thought the team played pretty well but I had Milligan, Hanlon and SDG as struggling to get pass marks over the 90 mins. Mallan struggled too but he is the type of player who is important for flashes of brilliance and his contribution has been excellent over the season even if he isn't the type to show over a full 90 minutes. Give me 10 seconds of Stevie Mallan's brilliance over 90 minutes of James Collins running hard towards his own goal every day.

Stevie Reid
22-02-2019, 10:04 PM
Played well.

theScientist
22-02-2019, 10:04 PM

Nah, he was brilliant again, you pick out individual moments but his performance is assessed on the whole game not individual moments. Suppose you think Marciano had a bad game as his kicked the ball out of play? Fud

Forza Fred
22-02-2019, 10:06 PM
Brilliant tonight.

Thought Mark was ok tonight, but didn’t put him in the ‘brilliant’ category to be fair.

He does the simple things well, breaks up play with ease and perhaps suffers in some people’s opinion because he does not often try ‘spectacular’ stuff.

He is like a handy fire blanket near the oven when the chips catch fire....smothers any danger before it develops, meaning we don’t have to call the fire brigade with their flashing lights and sirens.

Maybe his style is not as exciting as some, but it is effective and efficient.

Tyler Durden
22-02-2019, 10:07 PM
Nah, he was brilliant again, you pick out individual moments but his performance is assessed on the whole game not individual moments. Suppose you think Marciano had a bad game as his kicked the ball out of play? Fud

Milligan hasn’t had a single brilliant game for Hibs.

Thought he did ok tonight, some good interceptions, some poor moments. Nowhere near brilliant.

jeffers
22-02-2019, 10:10 PM

Thought he did ok tonight, some good interceptions, some poor moments. Nowhere near brilliant.

I must have been watching the same game as you. Amazed how anyone can describe his performance tonight as brilliant.

wookie70
22-02-2019, 10:12 PM
Thought Mark was ok tonight, but didn’t put him in the ‘brilliant’ category to be fair.

He does the simple things well, breaks up play with ease and perhaps suffers in some people’s opinion because he does not often try ‘spectacular’ stuff.

He is like a handy fire blanket near the oven when the chips catch fire....smothers any danger before it develops, meaning we don’t have to call the fire brigade with their flashing lights and sirens.

Maybe his style is not as exciting as some, but it is effective and efficient.

As long as the chips don't make a run into the box!

I thought he was excellent against Hamilton and maybe it is one of those performances that looked better at the game because I didn't think his contribution was great on the TV.

theScientist
22-02-2019, 10:17 PM

Fair do's. Team won 4-2 against a good Dundee home performance, our team is struggling for confidence so I will give them all the benefit of the doubt. It was a brilliant result all round and I think everyone did their job brilliantly. Milligan started of good when he signed, then went off the boil but is now back on top of his game, player will make mistakes during a game but they should not be judged on them when they do not contribute to the result.

WeeRussell
22-02-2019, 10:18 PM

Well played in ignoring the needless “fud” added on to your quoted post.

SaulGoodman
22-02-2019, 10:20 PM
Well I’m sorry I spoke :duck:

Forza Fred
22-02-2019, 10:21 PM
As long as the chips don't make a run into the box!

I thought he was excellent against Hamilton and maybe it is one of those performances that looked better at the game because I didn't think his contribution was great on the TV.

Understandable, difficult to play well on such a small space as a tv

😉

WeeRussell
22-02-2019, 10:23 PM
Fair do's. Team won 4-2 against a good Dundee home performance, our team is struggling for confidence so I will give them all the benefit of the doubt. It was a brilliant result all round and I think everyone did their job brilliantly. Milligan started of good when he signed, then went off the boil but is now back on top of his game, player will make mistakes during a game but they should not be judged on them when they do not contribute to the result.

Eh?! I didn’t see the game as not in the country, therefore this isn’t specifically about Milligan... but how on earth should players not be judged on mistakes just because we win??!!

I’m sure our manager still looks at individual performances and errors regardless of results.. at least I bloody well hope he does!

allmodcons
22-02-2019, 10:24 PM

I can't believe anybody thought he played badly tonight. Maybe not brilliant but good that's for sure.

You should apologise for your "fud" remark.

Ozyhibby
22-02-2019, 10:34 PM
Only watched on TV so hard to say but for me Milligan and Slivka were too far away from the strikers and sitting almost on top of our centre halves.

21sMay
22-02-2019, 10:35 PM
Can't agree . Our center midfield was poor actually . Him and slivka where posted missing too often .

theScientist
22-02-2019, 10:39 PM
Eh?! I didn’t see the game as not in the country, therefore this isn’t specifically about Milligan... but how on earth should players not be judged on mistakes just because we win??!!

I’m sure our manager still looks at individual performances and errors regardless of results.. at least I bloody well hope he does!
You judge everyone in life on what they did wrong? Rather than the bigger picture?

KWJ
23-02-2019, 12:47 AM
Only watched on TV so hard to say but for me Milligan and Slivka were too far away from the strikers and sitting almost on top of our centre halves.

Seemed to be the tactic so not their fault and it did work. Both were good on the ball but it was too infrequent.

Milligan got a bit lucky with the pen but he covered a lot of ground and broke up play countless times. Both played well in my book.

WeeRussell
23-02-2019, 04:29 AM
You judge everyone in life on what they did wrong? Rather than the bigger picture?

What a strange accusation. I judge footballer’s performances on their performances, whether the team wins or loses.

Viva_Palmeiras
23-02-2019, 05:04 AM
What a strange accusation. I judge footballer’s performances on their performances, whether the team wins or loses.

Seems like Lenny was at the end of his tether with Flo BUT he did the public calling out too many times. If you’re Flo your probably thinking - it doesn’t matter what I do and btw I’m feeding of scraps of poor quality midfield stuff as a lone striker not suited to my style tho I’m sticking to task.

Wonder if Flo was disheartened by McLaren heading off and lack of game time to reestablish that fruitful partnership.

Calling out in public is a risky strategy would Ferguson have done it? If so it would have been calculated. Not many more levers to pull once you’ve done that

AlbertK86
23-02-2019, 08:17 AM
Seems like Lenny was at the end of his tether with Flo BUT he did the public calling out too many times. If you’re Flo your probably thinking - it doesn’t matter what I do and btw I’m feeding of scraps of poor quality midfield stuff as a lone striker not suited to my style tho I’m sticking to task.

Wonder if Flo was disheartened by McLaren heading off and lack of game time to reestablish that fruitful partnership.

Calling out in public is a risky strategy would Ferguson have done it? If so it would have been calculated. Not many more levers to pull once you’ve done that

Think Flo misses the quality supply from Scott Allan McGinn and McGeouch as opposed to purely his partnership with McLaren

Likewise McLaren missed Scotty as well as we played a completely different style at the beginning of this season which suited neither him or Flo.

Still baffled we never pushed the boat out to get Scott in the last two windows

B.H.F.C
23-02-2019, 08:22 AM
Milligan had a good game last night. He’s been decent since he came back from Asia.

Will be interesting to see how that midfield two get in against the better sides over the next couple of weeks though.

Northernhibee
23-02-2019, 08:26 AM
Heckingbottom called him over a few times for instruction. Think he’s been given a crystal clear idea of what his role is.

FitbaFolkKen
23-02-2019, 02:14 PM
Heckingbottom called him over a few times for instruction. Think he’s been given a crystal clear idea of what his role is.

Wouldn’t be surprised if he was made captain in the summer if Gray doesn’t renew his deal.

Smartie
23-02-2019, 02:24 PM
Wouldn’t be surprised if he was made captain in the summer if Gray doesn’t renew his deal.

I was previously very worried that Gray wouldn't renew knowing that he's too good a player to lose.

Funny how he's been playing every week and playing well since Lennon left, eh?

I'm now confident he'll stay.

It was especially heartening to see him get up and continue after taking a few knocks.

And re Milligan - we need leadership throughout the side, not just a solid captain. At the moment he's leading by example, organising the midfield and taking charge of his part of the park. He's doing very well.

WeeRussell
23-02-2019, 11:30 PM

I don’t disagree re Lennon and Kamberi, or your post in general mate. I was just referring to previous poster’s Bizarre (in my
View) opinion that any individual mistakes or poor performances should just be forgotten about if we go on to win the game.

Sioux
24-02-2019, 10:01 AM
I don’t disagree re Lennon and Kamberi, or your post in general mate. I was just referring to previous poster’s Bizarre (in my
View) opinion that any individual mistakes or poor performances should just be forgotten about if we go on to win the game.

You've been obsessed about players making mistakes. Have you ever seen a player in a Hibs jersey that doesn't make a mistake in a game?

If that's you basis of judgement, its seriously flawed.

WeeRussell
25-02-2019, 12:14 AM
You've been obsessed about players making mistakes. Have you ever seen a player in a Hibs jersey that doesn't make a mistake in a game?

If that's you basis of judgement, its seriously flawed.

I’ve been obsessed by what? Genuinely don’t recall commenting on any specific hibs player making a mistake ever on this forum, including this thread. If you could highlight a few of the posts I will hold my hands up and apologise wholeheartedly.

My only point, which I stand by, is individual performances should still be taken into consideration regardless of the team’s result.