PDA

View Full Version : Let's be more street-wise against Aberdeen!!!

Fratelli
01-02-2019, 05:57 PM
Can we please be more ‘street-wise’ against Aberdeen!

Simple things, like reminding the referee how many fouls Shinnie commits on an ongoing basis – maybe the first couple of times the Captain tells him and then next foul someone else takes a turn!

If we win a penalty, remind the Referee and Assistant Referee to ensure their goalie stays on his line.

If they try and stop us taking a quick free-kick, kick the ball at the offender to get him booked!

In previous games against them, we have been far too soft and allowed them to take liberties.

HibeeHibernian4
01-02-2019, 05:59 PM
I know it's not a nice thing to say, but if somebody clamps Shinnie early on and takes him out of the game with a yellow card level foul, we'll win. Can't stand the man but he's some player for them. Only time Lennon beat them in eight was when he was suspended.

hibsbollah
01-02-2019, 06:03 PM
We were in the refs ear about Shinnie last time we played them at ER. Made no difference. I remember counting and it was still six fouls before he got booked.

hibbyfraelibby
01-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Ref is Don Robertson. No Lennon to upset him and no Parker to pi$$ off the 4th official Alan Muir. We might just get a fair crack of the whip...

Hermit Crab
01-02-2019, 06:15 PM
Ref is Don Robertson. No Lennon to upset him and no Parker to pi$$ off the 4th official Alan Muir. We might just get a fair crack of the whip...

He's murder, is he not the one who only gave us 2 fouls at parkhead but awarded something like 18 against us?

sauzee=legend
01-02-2019, 06:18 PM
He's murder, is he not the one who only gave us 2 fouls at parkhead but awarded something like 18 against us?

Correct

Mango Man
02-02-2019, 03:35 AM
And for once, don't allow GMS to run riot against us, he has done us loads of times over the years.

Hermit Crab
02-02-2019, 05:26 AM
And for once, don't allow GMS to run riot against us, he has done us loads of times over the years.

Big Darnell will burst him! :greengrin

bingo70
02-02-2019, 06:09 AM
Need to be careful with Shinnie. Any fouls against him seemed to count double while he basically referees the game from an Aberdeen perspective, being allowed extra leeway to commit as many fouls as he wants. Any fouls against Aberdeen within his area he’ll ensure the Hibs player get booked.

I don’t normally buy into these theories with referees but there’s a few players in our game who seem to have a special relationship with referees, him, Berra, Naismith and Scott Brown fall into that category, I’ve even heard commentators advocating giving them a bit leeway as that’s just the type of players they are. It’s mental.

we are hibs
02-02-2019, 07:13 AM

Seems to like giving blatantly wrong decisions then having a wee laugh about it everytime. Not just our games noticed it a lot. Wee fud

highland hibbee
02-02-2019, 07:51 AM

A tackle like Ian Murray’s against Fraser Fyvie many years ago might just keep him quiet .......

matty_f
02-02-2019, 08:13 AM
We were in the refs ear about Shinnie last time we played them at ER. Made no difference. I remember counting and it was still six fouls before he got booked.

I don't think he got booked, which was startling. I might be thinking about the game before that, either way your point is right - he has some sorry of invisibility cloak to the refs.

hibsbollah
02-02-2019, 08:32 AM
I don't think he got booked, which was startling. I might be thinking about the game before that, either way your point is right - he has some sorry of invisibility cloak to the refs.

You're right, it was the sheep game before that I think, we got an equaliser at the end, Maclaren? But at my age accurate memory is something that swirls around, pops in for a minute or two and staggers down the road again like a drink first footer.

bingo70
02-02-2019, 05:29 PM
Need to be careful with Shinnie. Any fouls against him seemed to count double while he basically referees the game from an Aberdeen perspective, being allowed extra leeway to commit as many fouls as he wants. Any fouls against Aberdeen within his area he’ll ensure the Hibs player get booked.

I don’t normally buy into these theories with referees but there’s a few players in our game who seem to have a special relationship with referees, him, Berra, Naismith and Scott Brown fall into that category, I’ve even heard commentators advocating giving them a bit leeway as that’s just the type of players they are. It’s mental.

Point proven again today.

Shinnie took a tantrum and went raj towards the referee, get a warning, a minute or two later Shinnie commits a foul and gets nothing.

Later on Flo took the same we strop Shinnie did and gets a yellow straight away.

Danderhall Hibs
02-02-2019, 06:20 PM
Point proven again today.

Shinnie took a tantrum and went raj towards the referee, get a warning, a minute or two later Shinnie commits a foul and gets nothing.

Later on Flo took the same we strop Shinnie did and gets a yellow straight away.

Incredible what he gets away with. Only need to breathe on him for him to fall over as well.

Having said that (and as the OP says) we need to be more streetwise and not give them the opportunity to fall over.

BlackSheep
02-02-2019, 06:34 PM
They are diving cheating thuggish referee buying *******s.

How does being streetwise help against that?

By playing their game... Our players were trying to hard to play on all game and got nothing for it... as much as i hate to admit it but we needed to stoop to their levels today... if only to highlight the ineptitude of the ref!!

BILLYHIBS
03-02-2019, 09:23 AM
Did it work?

superfurryhibby
03-02-2019, 09:27 AM
Bottom line yesterday, we could have been “streetwise” all we liked but it wouldn’t have changed a thing. We were outclassed by a team who were better organised, with much better players.

emerald green
03-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Bottom line yesterday, we could have been “streetwise” all we liked but it wouldn’t have changed a thing. We were outclassed by a team who were better organised, with much better players.

Outclassed? :faf:

superfurryhibby
03-02-2019, 12:33 PM
Outclassed? :faf:

Aye, they have better players in nearly all positions. Did you not notice the way they passed the ball, their movement and interplay? A good bit better than ours , hence why we are so far behind them. Not one of our players would make their starting 11,

emerald green
03-02-2019, 12:52 PM
Aye, they have better players in nearly all positions. Did you not notice the way they passed the ball, their movement and interplay? A good bit better than ours , hence why we are so far behind them. Not one of our players would make their starting 11,

Don't exaggerate. They were better organised than a Hibs team which is in a state of flux at the moment, having lost several first pick players for one reason or another, and new ones making their first starts.

Did you notice that we have also just lost our head coach and his assistant? Did you notice how the referee allowed one of their players, Shinnie, in particular get away with murder for 90 minutes?

Outclassed 2-1, and both goals coming from defensive mistakes.

NAE NOOKIE
03-02-2019, 12:58 PM
Got to agree with the OP here. In practically every game McKinnes has managed at ER Aberdeen have committed foul after foul to break up the play, fallen down at every opportunity and time wasted to a level where in some leagues the ref would have warned their captain that he was going to add on as many minutes as it took, and more to the point actually done it, unlike our refs who make a big show of pointing to their watches and then do nothing. As for Shinnie …. I recall Kamberi getting booked at Tynecastle for persistent fouling after his 3rd 'alleged' foul and yet in practically every game Shinnie gets away with foul after foul with no booking.

I don't want to see Hibs resorting to Aberdeen's tactics at Easter Road when we play them, our fans deserve better for their money and I don't think we would accept it … its up to clubs like ours who even if we don't always manage it at least subscribe to the concept of playing football to stop the likes of Aberdeen making the game a bore fest with more stoppages than an NFL game.

On the other hand …. The next time we go to Pittodrie its likely we will be in a position where relegation isn't an issue but neither is qualifying for Europe by league position. It would be a fine opportunity for us to give them a taste of their own medicine, foul in rotation, take 3 minutes over every throw in and bye kick, fall down as soon as an Aberdeen player gets within a yard, make sure every player who goes down needs the physio on and start holding the ball in the corners with 20 minutes to go. Hope for a 0 - 0 and then sit back to enjoy McKinnes moaning his arse off about our cynical approach to the match.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2019, 03:50 PM
Don't exaggerate. They were better organised than a Hibs team which is in a state of flux at the moment, having lost several first pick players for one reason or another, and new ones making their first starts.

Did you notice that we have also just lost our head coach and his assistant? Did you notice how the referee allowed one of their players, Shinnie, in particular get away with murder for 90 minutes?

Outclassed 2-1, and both goals coming from defensive mistakes.

Exagerrating, lol.

We are pish and have been even when we had a head coach. Thank ****we had a good start because , in case you don’t understand facts, our form has been really poor ( relegation level poor) the past four months, Everyteam loses players to injury, we’re not the exception!

Name me one Hibs player who would challenge for a place in the Sheep team?

Just looked at the stats on the game, they had69% possession, totally hilarious right enough. We were totally outclassed, and they are nothing special.

emerald green
03-02-2019, 07:41 PM
Exagerrating, lol.

We are pish and have been even when we had a head coach. Thank ****we had a good start because , in case you don’t understand facts, our form has been really poor ( relegation level poor) the past four months, Everyteam loses players to injury, we’re not the exception!

Just looked at the stats on the game, they had69% possession, totally hilarious right enough. We were totally outclassed, and they are nothing special.

OK some stats. Here's a few: This season Hibs beat Motherwell 3-0, Kilmarnock 3-2, Dundee 3-0, Hamilton 6-0, two draws with Rangers, drew twice with Aberdeen (losing cup match 6-5 on pens in a game Hibs dominated), beat Celtic 2-0, beat St Mirren twice this season away from home, drew at Tyncastle (with 10 men). That's not relegation level poor "the past four months".

In among these results there have been some very disappointing results. No doubt about that. Games Hibs would probably have won last season had we been able to retain our engine room of McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.

The above noted results were all obtained when Hibs had a head coach, and you claim "we are pish and have been even when we had a head coach". That's simply wrong.

Yes all teams have injuries to contend with throughout a season. I reckon Hibs have been particularly badly affected by that.

I would contend that players like, for example, Gray (fully fit), Stevenson, Hanlon, Mallan, Boyle, Kamberi, Porteous (fully fit), Shaw, and Gauld would all challenge for a place in the Aberdeen team.

As you say, Aberdeen are nothing special, maybe a bit better than most teams in this league except Celtic. "Outclassed" is an exaggeration. They just killed the game stone dead in the second half. They are good at doing that.

superfurryhibby
03-02-2019, 08:36 PM
OK some stats. Here's a few: This season Hibs beat Motherwell 3-0, Kilmarnock 3-2, Dundee 3-0, Hamilton 6-0, two draws with Rangers, drew twice with Aberdeen (losing cup match 6-5 on pens in a game Hibs dominated), beat Celtic 2-0, beat St Mirren twice this season away from home, drew at Tyncastle (with 10 men). That's not relegation level poor "the past four months".

In among these results there have been some very disappointing results. No doubt about that. Games Hibs would probably have won last season had we been able to retain our engine room of McGinn, McGeouch and Allan.

The above noted results were all obtained when Hibs had a head coach, and you claim "we are pish and have been even when we had a head coach". That's simply wrong.

Yes all teams have injuries to contend with throughout a season. I reckon Hibs have been particularly badly affected by that.

I would contend that players like, for example, Gray (fully fit), Stevenson, Hanlon, Mallan, Boyle, Kamberi, Porteous (fully fit), Shaw, and Gauld would all challenge for a place in the Aberdeen team.

As you say, Aberdeen are nothing special, maybe a bit better than most teams in this league except Celtic. "Outclassed" is an exaggeration. They just killed the game stone dead in the second half. They are good at doing that.

69% posession?

I said relegation form since October, with a head coach most of that time. Have you not noticed that?

I asked how many of that side yesterday would force their way into the Sheep line up. You can contend all you want but you’re kidding yourself on. Gauld has been pish, Hanlon out of form, Stevenson and Gray tried hard, but lacked quality, Shaw and Mallan....aye, ok.

We were outclassed because they have much better players. Sharper, better on the ball, more cohesive as a unit, better movement....

If your going to bother replying, try reading what I said first.

:blah::bye:

Smartie
04-02-2019, 08:49 AM
I often think Aberdeen play within themselves a little bit. If they were allowed to express themselves and play some football instead of getting one goal in front and employing the dark arts then I think they'd be a really good side.

There's a lot we could learn from them, and the fouling stats from that game are very interesting. Mallan was constantly fouling, and it was clear as day - he needs to be far more subtle if he's going to go down that route.

As for the ones where the striker has his back to goal - we never seem to get anything from these situations in spite of defenders constantly appearing to be all over our strikers. By contrast, their players are superb at getting into a position where the slightest bit of contact knocks them over and they get a foul.

These moments are significant as it allows your team to get up the park.

Aberdeen and Hearts do it better than anyone and we are pitifully naive.

It gets to the point where you can't always just blame the referee and play the victim. If you've got a crap referee, exploit him.

Del Boy
04-02-2019, 02:32 PM
Mallan wouldn’t get near the Aberdeen team, way too soft

emerald green
05-02-2019, 06:22 PM
69% posession?

I said relegation form since October, with a head coach most of that time. Have you not noticed that?
I asked how many of that side yesterday would force their way into the Sheep line up. You can contend all you want but you’re kidding yourself on. Gauld has been pish, Hanlon out of form, Stevenson and Gray tried hard, but lacked quality, Shaw and Mallan....aye, ok.

We were outclassed because they have much better players. Sharper, better on the ball, more cohesive as a unit, better movement....

If your going to bother replying, try reading what I said first.

:blah::bye:

It's because of posts like yours that I don't get involved on this forum so much these days. There's so much utter garbage in your post(s) it's hard to know where to start. I can't really be bothered, other than to make a couple of quick observations and corrections again.

Teams can have lots of possession, but it's what you do with that possession. I've seen teams with lots of possession, and losing. The obvious team is Hibs.

Relegation form is where St Mirren and Dundee are sitting right now. Hibs currently sit 20 points in front of St Mirren, and 5 points outside the top six. Have you noticed that?

You say I'm kidding myself on, and then you state Ryan Gauld "has been pish". After two appearances for his new club! Dearie me.

Stevenson and Gray "lacked quality" you say. What the **** does that mean?

Making a cheeky wee remark at the end of your post is very telling. It's an obvious sign that you've lost the argument.

Hibs were beaten at the weekend, not outclassed. Over and out from me.

SuperSirJMcginn
05-02-2019, 09:24 PM
We are becoming the hibs of old . To lightweight in midfield and defence .
It’s the spl not la liga!! We should be buying stronger players like hearts and Aberdeen . Get the basics right . I would rather play hoof football like the yams and win than tic tac football like Barcelona and lose. Let’s hope the new manager brings some steel to the team . Maybe sign a couple of Hamilton players they seem to have bite in the midfield.

On the manager front I think we should bring back a proven manager that’s been here and done it before . Stubbs, mixu or yogi

Criswell
05-02-2019, 11:08 PM
This tactic of playing for fouls by throwing yourself to the ground everytime an opposition player breathes on you is becoming more and more prevalent in the Scottish game. Aberdeen are masters of it but they certainly aren't the only ones. Why referees can't see through this is beyond me and quite honestly it does my head in!

It is about time the authorities recognised that this is a problem. Perhaps if Referees handed out yellow cards to persistent offenders that would help. After all it is just another form of simulation like "diving".

superfurryhibby
06-02-2019, 09:26 AM
It's because of posts like yours that I don't get involved on this forum so much these days. There's so much utter garbage in your post(s) it's hard to know where to start. I can't really be bothered, other than to make a couple of quick observations and corrections again.

Teams can have lots of possession, but it's what you do with that possession. I've seen teams with lots of possession, and losing. The obvious team is Hibs.

Relegation form is where St Mirren and Dundee are sitting right now. Hibs currently sit 20 points in front of St Mirren, and 5 points outside the top six. Have you noticed that?

You say I'm kidding myself on, and then you state Ryan Gauld "has been pish". After two appearances for his new club! Dearie me.

Stevenson and Gray "lacked quality" you say. What the **** does that mean?

Making a cheeky wee remark at the end of your post is very telling. It's an obvious sign that you've lost the argument.

Hibs were beaten at the weekend, not outclassed. Over and out from me.

You’re persistent, but still not actually reading what I wrote.

Gauld has made four appearances and been poor. He may improve, but he hasn’t exactly come in firing on all cylinders.

I said that our form since October has been relegation standard. Thank **** for our good points haul from the fiest eight games. You seem unable to acknowledge that?

Gray and Stevenson were both rubbish on Saturday. Lacked quality means exactly that ( and Stevenson getting mom doesn’t sway me). The idea that either would get into the Aberdeen team, alongside Mallan is ridic.

69% possession means Aberdeen had the ball for significantly longer throughout the game than us. Not only that, as I said, they passed better, moved better and looked more cohesive with it than us.

Finally, you started the pish with your initial mocking single rolling about laughing response to my post. As far as the ***** spouted on here goes, you obviously don’t get irony. However, being magnanimous, aye you won the arguement right enough.

BILLYHIBS
06-02-2019, 09:34 AM
We are becoming the hibs of old . To lightweight in midfield and defence .
It’s the spl not la liga!! We should be buying stronger players like hearts and Aberdeen . Get the basics right . I would rather play hoof football like the yams and win than tic tac football like Barcelona and lose. Let’s hope the new manager brings some steel to the team . Maybe sign a couple of Hamilton players they seem to have bite in the midfield.

On the manager front I think we should bring back a proven manager that’s been here and done it before . Stubbs, mixu or yogi

What about Mixu and say...Darren Fletcher?

Danderhall Hibs
06-02-2019, 11:31 AM
You’re persistent, but still not actually reading what I wrote.

Gauld has made four appearances and been poor. He may improve, but he hasn’t exactly come in firing on all cylinders.

I said that our form since October has been relegation standard. Thank **** for our good points haul from the fiest eight games. You seem unable to acknowledge that?

Gray and Stevenson were both rubbish on Saturday. Lacked quality means exactly that ( and Stevenson getting mom doesn’t sway me). The idea that either would get into the Aberdeen team, alongside Mallan is ridic.

69% possession means Aberdeen had the ball for significantly longer throughout the game than us. Not only that, as I said, they passed better, moved better and looked more cohesive with it than us.

Finally, you started the pish with your initial mocking single rolling about laughing response to my post. As far as the ***** spouted on here goes, you obviously don’t get irony. However, being magnanimous, aye you won the arguement right enough.

I didn’t feel like we got the hiding some on twitter and in the media claim. I suspect the 69% possession comes from how long it took to take a goal kick, free kicks and throwins.

They play a horrendous style of football that seems to be based around rugby league where you move forward a few yards, set piece, move forward win a free kick and repeat.

BTW despite the inflated possession stats we had the same number of shots on and off target plus more corners.

blackpoolhibs
06-02-2019, 12:03 PM
Exagerrating, lol.

We might have the odd better player than them, although i'm struggling to think of any. I'd swap each and every one of them for theirs, they play as a team, have good pace from midfield forward and dont concede many goals.

Yet there are some who would prefer what we have to them? Even with our best points total for how many years, we couldnt get near them.

They do spend more than us, but mostly they do spend it well.

KWJ
06-02-2019, 12:22 PM
We know how good Graeme Shinnie is not only in his clever game management, winning fouls, not getting booked while also being a bloody good player.

I noticed during the game that Lewis Ferguson had picked up these traits too. He was falling at the slightest touch, getting himself into places to invite the fouls and generally being a horrible player to play against.

I'm not certain I'd want Hibs to play like this, John McGinn was a bit similar but not to the same degree. However we definitely can't be as naive as we were to take the bait that was so often offered to us.

Mallan is young and the abuse he takes on here and on FB is ridiculous but he's older than Ferguson with plenty more games under his belt and he was sucked into a few stupid fouls by him. He wasn't alone in this.

superfurryhibby
06-02-2019, 12:28 PM
I didn’t feel like we got the hiding some on twitter and in the media claim. I suspect the 69% possession comes from how long it took to take a goal kick, free kicks and throwins.

They play a horrendous style of football that seems to be based around rugby league where you move forward a few yards, set piece, move forward win a free kick and repeat.

BTW despite the inflated possession stats we had the same number of shots on and off target plus more corners.

Not really sure how they measure the possession, but fair enough on the corners and shots. Maybe we moved the ball forward faster, whereas they passed it around a lot more. Whilst agreeing with the level of cynicism in their approach, they do have good footballers and can look very slick.

We might have the odd better player than them, although i'm struggling to think of any. I'd swap each and every one of them for theirs, they play as a team, have good pace from midfield forward and dont concede many goals.

Yet there are some who would prefer what we have to them? Even with our best points total for how many years, we couldnt get near them.

They do spend more than us, but mostly they do spend it well.

Exactly my point BH.

BILLYHIBS
06-02-2019, 01:10 PM
No doubt Aberdeen are a good team

They set themselves up well set out their stall and make themselves very hard to beat

They play an anti football and will try every trick in the book to avoid losing and to secure that all important win diving falling over fouling obstructing constantly complaining to the Referee and all quite rightly within the rules

I find myself as a Hibernian supporter starting to dislike Aberdeen purely for the way they play football

In the past couple of seasons I would say the only time they have outclassed us was the 4-1 loss up at Pittodrie

In the Scottish Cup SF and the League Cup QF I have left the ground thinking they were cheating diving cynical time wasting barstewards and that no way were they better than us

I prefer to remember King Dom’s solo goal as he waltzed through their defence than their boring non football terrified and playing for a draw or penalties after only twenty minutes of regulation time

Tonights clash at Pittodrie will be interesting when Stevie Gs The Rangers roll up On one hand you will have Shinnie trying to referee the match and the other you will have Defoe and Morelos falling in the box

It will need a strong referee

I have got my popcorn at the ready

Kato
06-02-2019, 01:21 PM
It would be a fine opportunity for us to give them a taste of their own medicine, foul in rotation, take 3 minutes over every throw in and bye kick, fall down as soon as an Aberdeen player gets within a yard, make sure every player who goes down needs the physio on and start holding the ball in the corners with 20 minutes to go.

Do you think Hibs would get away with that?

emerald green
06-02-2019, 06:14 PM

Season 2017/18:

Hibs 0 v A'deen 1
A'deen 4 v Hibs 1
Hibs 2 v A'deen 0
A'deen 0 v Hibs 0

BILLYHIBS
06-02-2019, 07:54 PM
I like their new Icelandic chant Sheep! Sheep! Sheep!

At least they can laugh at themselves

hibsbollah
06-02-2019, 08:04 PM
For some reason I found myself watching Aberdeen Rangers Oct 1988 on YouTube today. Featuring the Durrant horror tackle, and random thuggery from Stuart McKimmie, Neale Cooper, Bomber Brown and Butcher. Not for the faint hearted.

truehibernian
06-02-2019, 08:06 PM
For some reason I found myself watching Aberdeen Rangers Oct 1988 on YouTube today. Featuring the Durrant horror tackle, and random thuggery from Stuart McKimmie, Neale Cooper, Bomber Brown and Butcher. Not for the faint hearted.

Brilliant footballer and very underrated - very hard yes, but a very skilful player bollah - and a lovely guy too :aok:

hibsbollah
06-02-2019, 08:09 PM
Brilliant footballer and very underrated - very hard yes, but a very skilful player bollah - and a lovely guy too :aok:

Well he went through Mark Walters like a freight train in 88:greengrin

truehibernian
06-02-2019, 08:16 PM
Well he went through Mark Walters like a freight train in 88:greengrin

Scored a winner v World Champions too :greengrin