PDA

View Full Version : WHAT KEPT YOU HIBS ? a book by JAMES STEPHEN

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2019, 03:52 PM
I have just finished reading this excellent book What Kept you HIBS? by James Stephen

It starts off with the protest meeting in the car park at the back of the West Stand in May 2014 shortly after our relegation from the SPL via the play offs versus Hamilton

The book covers the play off matches and then takes the reader on a vivid roller coaster ride recalling and detailing our two failed attempts to get out of the second tier recalling many great tussles and exciting matches bringing both victory and defeat against Hearts The Rangers and Falkirk and perhaps even more signicantly losses against so called lesser teams as we experienced injuries and loss of form all games long forgotten but instantly recalled to the memory banks with Stephens brilliant recollection of the actual events as they happened in these matches

He also vividly recalls our cup runs in the Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup culminating in our glorious never to be forgotten victory on the 21st May 2016

He dedicates a full chapter to the “pitch invasion” at Hampden with an interesting take on the actual events as they unfurled

He also spends a chapter discussing our relationship with Rangers over the years and indeed their relationship with Scottish society in general

He also looks at the feel good factor surrounding the club since our eventual promotion

I would thoroughly recommend this book to all HIBS fans as being an entertaining and interesting read

Bangkok Hibby
01-02-2019, 04:16 PM
I have just finished reading this excellent book What Kept you HIBS? by James Stephen

It starts off with the protest meeting in the car park at the back of the West Stand in May 2014 shortly after our relegation from the SPL via the play offs versus Hamilton

The book covers the play off matches and then takes the reader on a vivid roller coaster ride recalling and detailing our two failed attempts to get out of the second tier recalling many great tussles and exciting matches bringing both victory and defeat against Hearts The Rangers and Falkirk and perhaps even more signicantly losses against so called lesser teams as we experienced injuries and loss of form all games long forgotten but instantly recalled to the memory banks with Stephens brilliant recollection of the actual events as they happened in these matches

He also vividly recalls our cup runs in the Scottish League Cup and Scottish Cup culminating in our glorious never to be forgotten victory on the 21st May 2016

He dedicates a full chapter to the “pitch invasion” at Hampden with an interesting take on the actual events as they unfurled

He also spends a chapter discussing our relationship with Rangers over the years and indeed their relationship with Scottish society in general

He also looks at the feel good factor surrounding the club since our eventual promotion

I would thoroughly recommend this book to all HIBS fans as being an entertaining and interesting read

I finished the book a few weeks ago but the original thread was pulled so couldnt comment. Echo everything above, definitely worth a read

Iggy Pope
01-02-2019, 08:13 PM
Lovely read. Got mine in the post this week, thanks James if you’re reading.

matty_f
01-02-2019, 08:14 PM
Good review mate, love to see this sort of thing on here.

southsider
01-02-2019, 08:30 PM
Good review mate, love to see this sort of thing on here.

Where can I buy it in print ?

Iggy Pope
01-02-2019, 08:32 PM

Only 150 printed so you might struggle. The author posts on here.

BILLYHIBS
01-02-2019, 08:38 PM
PM the Author ecopies available on Amazon kindle

matty_f
01-02-2019, 08:45 PM
Only 150 printed so you might struggle. The author posts on here.

Yeah, we were grateful to be able to offer up copy no.140 as a prize last weekend, thanks to the author.

Booked4Being-Ugly
01-02-2019, 09:45 PM
Yeah, we were grateful to be able to offer up copy no.140 as a prize last weekend, thanks to the author.As the winner of said prize i’d also like to thank the author. I’ve not read the book yet as I wanted to save it for the right time.

I did read the 1st chapter though and the description of the ‘protest’ was exactly how I felt at the time. I can’t wait to read the rest and I know i’m going to enjoy it.

Jonnyboy
01-02-2019, 10:07 PM
Lovely read. Got mine in the post this week, thanks James if you’re reading.

Ditto :agree:

Well written and a cracking read :agree:

IWasThere2016
17-06-2019, 09:50 PM
I PMd the author months ago and sent my PayPal details for two copies.. never received a final reply or the books..

BILLYHIBS
17-06-2019, 09:57 PM
I PMd the author months ago and sent my PayPal details for two copies.. never received a final reply or the books..
PM him again

I am sure he sold out quite quick and after that everything else was digital or ebook????

James Stephen
20-06-2019, 08:06 AM

I will PM you.

Thanks to everyone else for their kind comments, it really is appreciated and I'm just relieved that i dont have a long line of people asking for their money back because they hated it!

I've already tentatively begun work on another couple of projects so we will see where they go, one is partly Hibs related and the orher completely Hibs related!

Thanks again guys!

superfurryhibby
20-06-2019, 08:19 AM
I will PM you.

Thanks to everyone else for their kind comments, it really is appreciated and I'm just relieved that i dont have a long line of people asking for their money back because they hated it!

I've already tentatively begun work on another couple of projects so we will see where they go, one is partly Hibs related and the orher completely Hibs related!

Thanks again guys!

Any chance of another print of the book?

James Stephen
20-06-2019, 09:27 AM
Any chance of another print of the book?

You mean another print run, or another single copy?

I dont think there will be another print run in afraid, it was always going to be limited edition, largely due to the costs involved.

There are no available copies left im afraid, but if any become available I can let you know (I'm still holding a couple for people, bit if they dont come through for whatever reason then I can give you a shout).

Jock O
20-06-2019, 11:20 AM

I dont think there will be another print run in afraid, it was always going to be limited edition, largely due to the costs involved.

There are no available copies left im afraid, but if any become available I can let you know (I'm still holding a couple for people, bit if they dont come through for whatever reason then I can give you a shout).

I would also be interested if any don't get taken.

IWasThere2016
20-06-2019, 11:40 AM
I will PM you.

Thanks again guys!

PM replied to J :thumbsup:

Thanks mate.

G

Dalianwanda
20-06-2019, 12:18 PM
I will PM you.

Thanks again guys!

Just got the kindle version, looking forward to getting stuck in.

superfurryhibby
20-06-2019, 12:58 PM

Nice one James. I’d be really grateful.