PDA

View Full Version : Hampden sale

Ozyhibby
01-02-2019, 02:47 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47094061?__twitter_impression=true

I’m totally shocked that this is not going smoothly.[emoji23]
And this is just the purchase, wait till they have to refinance and redevelop it up to a standard not quite as good as Murrayfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blackfordhibby
01-02-2019, 02:51 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/47094061?__twitter_impression=true

I’m totally shocked that this is not going smoothly.[emoji23]
And this is just the purchase, wait till they have to refinance and redevelop it up to a standard not quite as good as Murrayfield.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piss ups and breweries springs to mind.

HappyAsHellas
01-02-2019, 03:06 PM
And Queens Park get £3 million to redevelop lesser Hampden which beggars belief. What a slap in the face for all other teams in Scotland who have had to live within their means and make do with what they have.

RoxburghHibs
01-02-2019, 03:07 PM
The only reason the Hampden bid won, over Murrayfield, was because some mega rich Glaswegian backed them staying in Glasgow.

Hibee87
01-02-2019, 03:15 PM
And Queens Park get £3 million to redevelop lesser Hampden which beggars belief. What a slap in the face for all other teams in Scotland who have had to live within their means and make do with what they have.

I dont understand what your trying to say here :confused: Dont Queens Park currently own hampden, so what does living within their means and how much money they are receiving got to do with anything, unless of course im missing something.

Bishop Hibee
01-02-2019, 03:15 PM
Can’t blame Glasgow Council. SFA in danger of screwing this up shocker.

Both Hampden and Murrayfield are poor stadiums for the 21st century though. Embarrassing that a country as wealthy as Scotland has such poor national stadiums.

HappyAsHellas
01-02-2019, 03:23 PM
I dont understand what your trying to say here :confused: Dont Queens Park currently own hampden, so what does living within their means and how much money they are receiving got to do with anything, unless of course im missing something.

I don't believe they've been able to pay for Hampden for many years, and the SFA have effectively been subsidising them. I could be wrong, but I'm sure this was reported somewhere a while ago.

where'stheslope
01-02-2019, 03:25 PM
Given the time it took to come to the decision in the first place, to now find out its blowing up in their face is hardly surprising!!!!
Will it now be the SFA going round cap in hand to all the Scottish clubs asking for donations?
I think the outcome will be, all finals and semi-finals will be played at either Parkhead or Ibrox, and Scotland games taken around the different stadiums in Scotland!!!
But all the big games will be played in Glasgow!!!!!!!!

Carheenlea
01-02-2019, 03:36 PM
The only reason the Hampden bid won, over Murrayfield, was because some mega rich Glaswegian backed them staying in Glasgow.

Willie Haughy and Tom Hunter ploughed cash in to make up the shortfall of the bid. Money talked in the end.

Tonight fridge millionaire and ex-Celtic director Lord Haughey, 62, admitted his pledge was a “purely emotional investment”.

The peer said: “It was vitally important that it remained in Glasgow. Hampden is an iconic stadium in the eyes of millions”

G15 Hibs
01-02-2019, 04:13 PM
I don't believe they've been able to pay for Hampden for many years, and the SFA have effectively been subsidising them. I could be wrong, but I'm sure this was reported somewhere a while ago.

Queen's Park have leased Hampden to the SFA since 2000. They still own it. However if it stops being used as a national stadium then Queen's become liable to pay around £12m back to the Lottery which was given as part of the redevelopment in the late 90s. The deal was that the SFA would take this debt on (although they'd never have to pay this back as Hampden would continue as a national stadium) and give Queen's money to build facilities to use Lesser Hampden as their home ground (around £3m) in return for ownership of Hampden. Some might claim that the SFA were pulling a fast one to get a valuable asset for a knockdown price. But maybe not now

HibbySpurs
01-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Willie Haughy and Tom Hunter ploughed cash in to make up the shortfall of the bid. Money talked in the end.

Tonight fridge millionaire and ex-Celtic director Lord Haughey, 62, admitted his pledge was a “purely emotional investment”.

The peer said: “It was vitally important that it remained in Glasgow. Hampden is an iconic stadium in the eyes of millions”

Haughey simply couldn’t bear the thought of it all being moved to the Scottish capital city

Aim Here
01-02-2019, 04:41 PM

Right. They're the SFA's landlord, so the SFA pay them rent - that's how Hampden is paid for, and how Queen's Park makes some of it's revenue. It's no biggie because Queen's Park are an amateur club, and kindof a Scottish footballing institution, and aren't really disrupting the football leagues. One minor team out of the 42 gets advantaged by it's rental income, and disadvantaged by it's amateur ethos. It balances out. Of all the crimes against football that can be laid at the feet of finance, having the national stadium's landlords field a quirky little league team there when nobody else is using it ranks as precisely no crime at all.

If this was Northern Ireland, where you have essentially their version of Rangers (complete with the history of sectarianism) owning the national stadium, getting revenue for it, and being a major trophy-winning top-tier team, there might be more to moan about.

cabbageandribs1875
01-02-2019, 04:54 PM
that's a nice water feature they built before entering the main stand, they should have Swans in it

we are hibs
01-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Good. Hopefully it all goes tits up.

Keith_M
02-02-2019, 07:58 AM
that's a nice water feature they built before entering the main stand, they should have Swans in it

This is Glasgow, the locals would just eat them.

Crazyhorse
02-02-2019, 10:07 AM
Right. They're the SFA's landlord, so the SFA pay them rent - that's how Hampden is paid for, and how Queen's Park makes some of it's revenue. It's no biggie because Queen's Park are an amateur club, and kindof a Scottish footballing institution, and aren't really disrupting the football leagues. One minor team out of the 42 gets advantaged by it's rental income, and disadvantaged by it's amateur ethos. It balances out. Of all the crimes against football that can be laid at the feet of finance, having the national stadium's landlords field a quirky little league team there when nobody else is using it ranks as precisely no crime at all.

If this was Northern Ireland, where you have essentially their version of Rangers (complete with the history of sectarianism) owning the national stadium, getting revenue for it, and being a major trophy-winning top-tier team, there might be more to moan about.

I despise Linfield as much as anyone else but to be fair their advantage seems to have been nullified by Crusaders successful challenge to this form of ‘state aid’ at the EU. The deal with other clubs was undisclosed but if Linfield’s results since the redevelopment are anything to go by it much have involved sharing the revenue out. Certainly Cliftonville and Crusaders are much stronger.

Phil MaGlass
02-02-2019, 10:32 AM
It would be so funny if the SFA in the end are forced to move to Murrayfield cos they are skint.
Well done SFA, made the wrong choice in the first place, IMO:aok: Hope yi get absolutely screwed over Hampden.