PDA

View Full Version : Thank you Neil Lennon and Garry Parker

GreenArmyyy!
30-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Where to start....

Neil Lennon and Garry Parker have now officially left Hibernian and I for one am absolutely gutted it’s ended this way for two guys who came in and gave everything for this club.

When Neil and Garry first arrived at Hibs we were reeling from the loss of Alan Stubbs so soon after our famous Scottish cup win and it was clear from the start the management duo weren’t here to take part, they were here to take over.

Within their first couple of weeks in the job, needing signings, a pre-season etc we were faced with the task of a Europa League qualifier against experienced European opponents in Brondby who were midway through their league season. Had it not been for an wrongly disallowed goal at Easter Road we’d have beaten them over the two legs. They led us to yet another Scottish cup semi-final where we were cruelly knocked out by Aberdeen and a wicked deflection in the final minutes of the game. On to the league and in the end, Lennon and Parker comfortably led us to the Championship title, something which had eluded us for the previous two seasons.

Once we were promoted back to the Premiership, Neil wasn’t just content with coming in and staying up or finishing the top 6, he was aiming for 2nd place and came within two games of doing so. Not only that but the second half of last season was probably the best brand of football I’ve ever seen at Easter Road in my 26 years supporting the club. He gave us another semi-final, this time the league cup, coming up against an all conquering Celtic side who proved too much for us.

We ended last season in 4th place and entered Europe again and for once we had a manager in place that didn’t just want the glory of a European tie, he wanted to go all the way to the group stages which most of us laughed off. He gave it a bloody good go, winning the first round then an incredible comeback at Easter Road and monumental away performance to see us through against Asteras Tripolis. We then lost the heart of our team in John McGinn yet still gave Ole Gunner Solskjaer’s Molde side a good run for their money.

During their time here, they have-

- Got us to two major semi finals
- Won the Championship title at the first time of asking
- Attracted our biggest crowds in over SIXTY years
- Gave us some phenomenal football
- Got through more European ties this season than we have in the last 30 years
- Led us to 4th place in the SPFL straight after promotion
- Unbeaten at Ibrox against Rangers
- Unbeaten at home against Celtic
- More than anything else, they made us believe we were a big club again, made us believe that we do have the right to be challenging at the top end of the league year after year

This management team did everything they could to take Hibs to the next level and THEY GOT HIBS.

Thank you for the memories gents, it’s been one hell of a ride. 💚

NORTHERNHIBBY
30-01-2019, 05:26 PM
They were good for us but we were good for them. Perhaps the second part of that doesn't get satd enough?

IngolstadtHarry
30-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Where to start....

Neil Lennon and Garry Parker have now officially left Hibernian and I for one am absolutely gutted it’s ended this way for two guys who came in and gave everything for this club.

When Neil and Garry first arrived at Hibs we were reeling from the loss of Alan Stubbs so soon after our famous Scottish cup win and it was clear from the start the management duo weren’t here to take part, they were here to take over.

Within their first couple of weeks in the job, needing signings, a pre-season etc we were faced with the task of a Europa League qualifier against experienced European opponents in Brondby who were midway through their league season. Had it not been for an wrongly disallowed goal at Easter Road we’d have beaten them over the two legs. They led us to yet another Scottish cup semi-final where we were cruelly knocked out by Aberdeen and a wicked deflection in the final minutes of the game. On to the league and in the end, Lennon and Parker comfortably led us to the Championship title, something which had eluded us for the previous two seasons.

Once we were promoted back to the Premiership, Neil wasn’t just content with coming in and staying up or finishing the top 6, he was aiming for 2nd place and came within two games of doing so. Not only that but the second half of last season was probably the best brand of football I’ve ever seen at Easter Road in my 26 years supporting the club. He gave us another semi-final, this time the league cup, coming up against an all conquering Celtic side who proved too much for us.

We ended last season in 4th place and entered Europe again and for once we had a manager in place that didn’t just want the glory of a European tie, he wanted to go all the way to the group stages which most of us laughed off. He gave it a bloody good go, winning the first round then an incredible comeback at Easter Road and monumental away performance to see us through against Asteras Tripolis. We then lost the heart of our team in John McGinn yet still gave Ole Gunner Solskjaer’s Molde side a good run for their money.

- More than anything else, they made us believe we were a big club again, made us believe that we do have the right to be challenging at the top end of the league year after year

This management team did everything they could to take Hibs to the next level and THEY GOT HIBS.

Great post, man - I couldn't have put it better myself.
It's a shame that many of the crowd on here are blind to what we had and what we have just lost.

GreenOnions
30-01-2019, 05:38 PM
I agree. I did love their time at Easter Road and there have been many great moments. It's a shame it's ended poorly but that's what happens sometimes when passions are stirred. I wish them both all the best in their next career move.

Time to move on though. Plenty to work on but, despite our league position, I do believe there's a good foundation for the next manager.

Famous Fiver
30-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Thank you Neil and Garry.

Best wishes to you both for the future.

Col2
30-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Thanks Neil.

Time to move on. He has and so should we.

Onwards and upwards.

cleanyman
30-01-2019, 06:03 PM
Fantastic memories

Carheenlea
30-01-2019, 06:04 PM
I enjoyed his time as manager and looked forward all week to going to the games. Never feared going to Ibrox, Tynecastle or Celtic Park, and believed we could win anywhere. Hopefully the new manager can still maintain those levels of belief and we can enjoy our football as we have done in the last few of years. Really disappointed to see it end the way it did, but it was good fun while it lasted.

LustForLeith
30-01-2019, 06:07 PM
They were good for us but we were good for them. Perhaps the second part of that doesn't get satd enough?
Agree

HibbySpurs
30-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Great post, man - I couldn't have put it better myself.
It's a shame that many of the crowd on here are blind to what we had and what we have just lost.

Exactly. No man is bigger than the club but we will struggle to appoint a management team of that calibre again.

Cheshire Hibby
30-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Thank you Neil and Garry, wishing you and yours all the very best for the future.

Waxy
30-01-2019, 06:10 PM
Thanks to both for managing the Hibees.In my eyes yous should be welcome back anytime. Everyone makes mistakes and we grow from them.
All the best.

CmoantheHibs
30-01-2019, 06:12 PM
I'm going to miss NL. He is a larger than life character who is interesting and comes over well when speaking.Seems to me a genuine nice guy with good morals. I do think the time is right for a parting but wish them both every success with future ventures so long as it isn't against Hibs.

The 90+2
30-01-2019, 06:13 PM
It’s like when take that split up all over again on here the now.

30-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Where to start....

Can't disagree with any of this. NL wasn't the first name on the list I wanted when he was appointed but he certainly delivered during his tenure. Would liked to have seen him maybe move to a bigger job in the summer having secured a top six finish, possibly Europe and a good tilt at the Scottish Cup again. Extremely disappointed it's ended this way and can't help but think that current situation was avoidable and that NL exit was been part of a poorly handled plan to remove the manager because he was putting pressure on some people in the club and they didn't like or couldn't handle it.

Spike Mandela
30-01-2019, 06:24 PM
NEXT!!!!! Onwards and upwards, it was fun while it lasted. 😎

IngolstadtHarry
30-01-2019, 06:24 PM
Can't disagree with any of this. NL wasn't the first name on the list I wanted when he was appointed but he certainly delivered during his tenure. Would liked to have seen him maybe move to a bigger job in the summer having secured a top six finish, possibly Europe and a good tilt at the Scottish Cup again. Extremely disappointed it's ended this way and can't help but think that current situation was avoidable and that NL exit was been part of a poorly handled plan to remove the manager because he was putting pressure on some people in the club and they didn't like or couldn't handle it.

:agree:

One Day
30-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Some great times. Never a dull moment. Hope who ever we get shows the same passion.

gbhibby
30-01-2019, 07:20 PM
We played the best and most exciting football since the early seventies. The fans bought into this big style.

Hi Heid Yin
30-01-2019, 07:21 PM
We played the best and most exciting football since the early seventies. The fans bought into this big style.

:top marks

Doh Rae Me
30-01-2019, 07:22 PM
Where to start....

Fantastic post mate.

CRAZYHIBBY
30-01-2019, 07:23 PM
Sad end but can't help feeling the wrong ones left the club

beensaidbefore
30-01-2019, 07:39 PM
Where to start....

Summed up nicely, imo. 👍👍

Onion
30-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Good luck to both. Hope Lennon thinks kindly of Hibs and Hibs fans in particular who supported him throughout his 2.5 years at ER. We can only hope for a manager with Lennon's drive and ambition in future. He has set the bar for those still to come.

IngolstadtHarry
30-01-2019, 07:46 PM

:agree:

McIntosh
30-01-2019, 08:00 PM
Sad end but can't help feeling the wrong ones left the club :top marks

Tricla
30-01-2019, 08:00 PM

It was better under Mowbray IMHO.

Onion
30-01-2019, 08:05 PM

Doubt this will stop at Lennon. He was a decent, well respected manager at Hibs and the club is poorer for his going. Those players who were instrumental in his leaving have a lot to prove.

Onion
30-01-2019, 08:07 PM
It was better under Mowbray IMHO.

:agree: No question, the football under Mowbray was a notch or two above Lennon's team.

jacomo
30-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Ok the ending has been a bit fraught, but this was undoubtedly a successful appointment by LD.

So many highlights as mentioned above. I hope NL and GP look back on their time here fondly in time.

I also think LD deserves credit (along with George Craig) in creating an environment in which managers can perform and are well supported.

Here’s to the next chapter.

jacomo
30-01-2019, 08:17 PM
Doubt this will stop at Lennon. He was a decent, well respected manager at Hibs and the club is poorer for his going. Those players who were instrumental in his leaving have a lot to prove.

I’m really not sure anyone else was instrumental in Lennon leaving.

I think it’s a massive stretch to say that.

IngolstadtHarry
30-01-2019, 08:31 PM
I’m really not sure anyone else was instrumental in Lennon leaving.

I think it’s a massive stretch to say that.

Ah, so suddenly you are a source of inside knowledge after all - make up your mind.

wookie70
30-01-2019, 08:33 PM
Fantastic 72 days when he had us playing well in the run to 4th place and an ok run in Europe counterbalanced by some very poor Cup performances. The vast majority has been fairly Meh or worse with some touchline bans.

CockneyRebel
30-01-2019, 08:41 PM
Ah, so suddenly you are a source of inside knowledge after all - make up your mind.

Right back at ya - you keep inventing scenarios to fit your own agenda.

matty_f
30-01-2019, 08:42 PM
Really enjoyed their time here, huge fan of Lennon's and I'm pretty gutted that he's gone in all honesty.

Salisbury Hibby
30-01-2019, 08:49 PM
Ah, so suddenly you are a source of inside knowledge after all - make up your mind.You're the one that's claiming that the players were behind this. Where's your proof?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Salisbury Hibby
30-01-2019, 08:51 PM
You're the one that's claiming that the players were behind this. Where's your proof?

Sent from my SM-A520F using TapatalkOkay it was onion claiming that. Why are you so upset?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk