PDA

View Full Version : Buzzwords and popular phrases

madhatter
29-01-2019, 06:35 PM
Fans pull these out all the time but we are particularly bad during important times for the club:

"Ponzi scheme"
"showing ambition"
"winning mentality"
"penny pinching"

The list could go on and on. I understand why Lennon has been supported on here, I really do, but what gets me is, whilst we don't know what has happened in this incident and don't know the ins and outs of HSL, how quickly people side against the club and any move that the club are making (which I assume the board feel is a positive one for the club). So much so that you can see it in the popular phrases used on here and social media outlets.

"Lennon had winning mentality, we won't replace that and will regret it"
"Lennon got the club to show ambition"
"HSL is a Ponzi scheme"

I realise these statements are targeted at people in the board, and Farmer and Petrie. Some I guess you could say were factually correct as well, though you could say "club showed ambition by recruiting Lennon". However, looking at board level individuals, in their own misguided way, they have been good custodians of the club and have served at the club longer than Lennon. We all want success at the club but it shouldn't come at the expense of what the club stand for, I've grown up to know it as a club that gives youth a chance (even though they rejected a letter I sent them asking for a trial!) and is quite an open club that doesn't reject people because of their creed etc. I'd like to see a Hibs without Farmer and Petrie one day, I'm sure it is coming shortly but we could conceivably reach a rather hilarious, and sad, point where we are wishing Petrie was still around as "he's good at financing buildings" as it had reached the stage where we have a dilapidated training centre that was ignored while we had momentary footballing success. Before people look at old posts from me, I can assure everyone I've been critical of the board, Farmer and Petrie many times so I'm not lording over everyone, just pointing out what we tend to do.

Success in Scotland cannot be bought, it is a slow gradual process unfortunately, I'd suggest it is slower than Lennon was expecting in this instance. We have to be patient unless we want to avoid paying tax as a club...The Hibernian Football Club just doesn't have a ring to it. Let's support the club and kick on from here. We can get top six and build for next season, we have some talented youngsters coming through.

Pretty Boy
29-01-2019, 06:41 PM
Not really related to your post but I do find the 'highest top league points total in 144 years' amusing. It's factually correct of course but negates to mention that for the vast majority of that 144 years you only got 2 points for a win rather than 3.

Beefster
29-01-2019, 07:39 PM
This isn’t really related to the spirit of the OP but ‘we move on’ gets right on my goat. I had never heard it said then Stubbs said it once in an interview before everyone was saying it after every defeat.

Irrational but hey ho.

Renton1875
29-01-2019, 08:22 PM
This isn’t really related to the spirit of the OP but ‘we move on’ gets right on my goat. I had never heard it said then Stubbs said it once in an interview before everyone was saying it after every defeat.

Irrational but hey ho.

"we go again"

Aaargh make it stop.

Babyshamble
29-01-2019, 08:50 PM
When people talk about strikers being "up top" does ma head in.

pacoluna
29-01-2019, 08:57 PM
Not really related to your post but I do find the 'highest top league points total in 144 years' amusing. It's factually correct of course but negates to mention that for the vast majority of that 144 years you only got 2 points for a win rather than 3.

Because that would ofcourse suggest that Lennon has perhaps been our best manager in the last 10/20 years if not then one of the best.

But ofcourse the likes yourself will use whataboutery to somehow discredit him.

madhatter
29-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Because thet would ofcourse suggest that Lennon has perhaps been our best manager in the last 10/20 years if not then one of the best.

Buy ofcourse the likes yourself will use whataboutery to somehow discredit him.

Both Stubbs and Mowbray have a better win ratio than Lennon do they not? Stubbs won us the cup and Mowbray had us playing the best football I've seen at ER in my time, especially with young players. Lennon has been a very good manager for Hibs but not sure what his legendary status is based on? Lennon seems to have had a more lasting impression on the fans than Stubbs, even though Stubbs was the manager that took charge at our lowest and oversaw our development to the point where we won the cup...

It's not about discrediting Lennon, it is looking at actual stats to get beyond this "he's the best we've ever had and will likely ever have" mentality that seems rife at the moment. He hasn't even formally left yet...his stats are good but it was the players that went on to the pitch, something avid Lennon backers seem to forget. Honestly some of the stuff on here, social media and Glasgow newspapers are making me think that Neil Lennon was secretly a vigilante that fought crime at night. He has done well but lets not salivate over him as if he is anything other than a man, a seemingly very nice man, but a man nevertheless.

Pretty Boy
29-01-2019, 09:16 PM
Because thet would ofcourse suggest that Lennon has perhaps been our best manager in the last 10/20 years if not then one of the best.

Buy ofcourse the likes yourself will use whataboutery to somehow discredit him.

I don't need to nor do I have any desire to 'discredit' anybody.

I've acknowledged multiple times the qualities Neil Lennon brought to the Hibs job, I've repeatedly said I had no desire to see him leave especially in such circumstances and I've said on multiple ocassions he was an improvement on his immediate predecessor.

I've also argued that the notion he is irreplaceable or the idea he is streets ahead of every other manager we have had since the early 1970s is not one I wholeheatredly agree with. I've attempted to back that up with reasoned arguments but for some reason you get very worked up about that and perceive it as some kind of slur. The total OTT reaction to a post meant as an irreverent aside is evidence enough of that.

It's possible, even in the emotive world of football, to be able to recognise a grey area.

Michael
29-01-2019, 09:19 PM
When people talk about strikers being "up top" does ma head in.

Why?

Babyshamble
29-01-2019, 09:26 PM
Why?

Cos it's ridiculous.simples.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 09:51 PM
His legs have gone. :brickwall

One Day Soon
29-01-2019, 09:58 PM
Both Stubbs and Mowbray have a better win ratio than Lennon do they not? Stubbs won us the cup and Mowbray had us playing the best football I've seen at ER in my time, especially with young players. Lennon has been a very good manager for Hibs but not sure what his legendary status is based on? Lennon seems to have had a more lasting impression on the fans than Stubbs, even though Stubbs was the manager that took charge at our lowest and oversaw our development to the point where we won the cup...

It's not about discrediting Lennon, it is looking at actual stats to get beyond this "he's the best we've ever had and will likely ever have" mentality that seems rife at the moment. He hasn't even formally left yet...his stats are good but it was the players that went on to the pitch, something avid Lennon backers seem to forget. Honestly some of the stuff on here, social media and Glasgow newspapers are making me think that Neil Lennon was secretly a vigilante that fought crime at night. He has done well but lets not salivate over him as if he is anything other than a man, a seemingly very nice man, but a man nevertheless.

Isn't that true of every manager's record or am I missing something? :confused:

madhatter
29-01-2019, 10:23 PM
Isn't that true of every manager's record or am I missing something? :confused:

No you haven't. I'm trying to emphasise to people that Lennon did well but like every manager, players contributed to their success and like every person (in any walk of life) Lennon is replaceable. Glad I wasn't alive during Jock Stein and Eddie Turnbull's time and social media wasn't around because I can only imagine the state people would've been getting into. Some of what is being said by people is verging on mass hysteria. Lennon is a man, a man who done well at being Head Coach of Hibs for 2.5 years, a pleasant man by all extent, that managed to have a good win % during his time at Hibs, a man with winning mentality but a man no less. If Lennon didn't think of himself in a similar regard I'd think less of him.

SChibs
29-01-2019, 10:27 PM
Cos it's ridiculous.simples.

Not if the manager has a board with the formation on it in the dressing room where the goals are at the bottom. Our furthest forward player would be 'up top'. Its all that i can think of that would explain the saying.

Scouse Hibee
30-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Not if the manager has a board with the formation on it in the dressing room where the goals are at the bottom. Our furthest forward player would be 'up top'. Its all that i can think of that would explain the saying.

That’s exactly my thinking of it too.

sambajustice
30-01-2019, 07:53 AM
"Bang at it"... :grr:

PETRIE!!!!!

Hibeesmad
30-01-2019, 07:53 AM
Under Lennon’s management we got back into the premiership and established ourselves as one of the best clubs in Scotland. Unfortunately his time has come to and end, we thank him and move on.

DetroitHibs
30-01-2019, 07:59 AM
"Get it up ye"
"Get it roond ye"

Never understood what was going up or roond :confused:

Broken Gnome
30-01-2019, 07:59 AM
WAGE THIEF.

Claiming the guy who has played full-back 100 times is NEVER A FULL-BACK.

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2019, 08:23 AM
We all know the boys got it “in his locker!”

Aye along wi his scud mags and deodorant :greengrin

Hibeesmad
30-01-2019, 08:30 AM
“Lost the dressing room”

Did it get sold? Stolen? 😁