PDA

View Full Version : All 33 players signed under Lennon rated

RossScott1991
29-01-2019, 04:34 PM
https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-all-33-signings-made-under-neil-lennon-rated-out-of-10-1-4864208

article in evening news today of all signings in lennons tenure rated out of 10.

Efe should have been 10/10 imo!

18Craig75
29-01-2019, 04:39 PM
But all Lennon’s pals in the media assure us he wasn’t backed...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibby70
29-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Totally forgot we had Chris Humphrey.

RoslinInstHibby
29-01-2019, 04:42 PM
some poor signings when you look through them all eh?

wallpaperman
29-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Totally forgot we had Chris Humphrey.

Yes, did he not get off to a flier in important home game against Dundee Utd, set up the first goal, then hobbled off hardly to be seen again?

1van Sprou7e
29-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Some ratings a bit harsh

Main thing I took away from that is that Andrew shinnie once wore the captain's armband for us!

hibsbollah
29-01-2019, 04:46 PM
Not sure Kamberi deserves an 8/10 considering his run of form.

MWHIBBIES
29-01-2019, 04:47 PM
''A raft of anoymous performances'' for Slivka...

How can you rate guys who played 31 minutes etc? Half of Lennons signings never played more than 5 games.

hibsbollah
29-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Some ratings a bit harsh

Main thing I took away from that is that Andrew shinnie once wore the captain's armband for us!

Simon Murray and Slivka both deserve more than 6.

easty
29-01-2019, 04:52 PM
That website is utterly horrendous.

I got as far as Scott Bain - he gets a 6/10...and Agyepong gets a 5/10. That's enough for me to give up on this dross article.

Aim Here
29-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Not sure Kamberi deserves an 8/10 considering his run of form.

His record is still 19 goals in 41 appearances overall - and that 'run of form' has been pretty much 6 months out of the last 12. I'd say one goal every two matches is still '8/10' material.

Aim Here
29-01-2019, 04:57 PM

I got as far as Scott Bain - he gets a 6/10...and Agyepong gets a 5/10. That's enough for me to give up on this dross article.

Yeah. Bain is clearly a 10/10 signing.

1van Sprou7e
29-01-2019, 04:59 PM

Aye, Scott main gets a 6 because he helped us get Scott Allan

Yet Simon Murray, who also helped us get Scott Allan while also scoring some crucial goals for us also gets a 6

wookie70
29-01-2019, 05:03 PM
A poor list with the vast majority no chance of getting in the team he inherited. Not sure if Main or Lennon makes the calls on Keepers but great job there. Ambrose is a stick out and the vast majority of signings just weren't good enough to get in the side in front of one of Stubbs' team. When that team broke up our current run started

Just Jimmy
29-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Allan 8...

closed it there. undoubtedly the best signing Lennon made. he turned last season around when he came on loan.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

1van Sprou7e
29-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Allan 8...

closed it there. undoubtedly the best signing Lennon made. he turned last season around when he came on loan.

In your opinion

One of our best performances of the season came when he was unavailable Vs Celtic

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 05:12 PM
How many transfer windows does that cover?

5?

Smartie
29-01-2019, 05:20 PM
some poor signings when you look through them all eh?

There were, but I must admit that my instinct as I went through it was that his transfer business wasn't anything like as bad as many would have you believe.

A few turkeys in there, but I assume they were probably cheap and were all moved on fairly quickly without being able to stink the place out.

In all fairness, there are a few in there who the jury is out on. If they go on to do well for us then it could sway it one way. If they (and I'm thinking of Nelom, Gauld, Omeonga, Slivka, McLaren, Milligan, Whittaker and Mallan) up their game a level and make a greater contribution - which they should all be capable of doing - then it might swing opinion on Lennon's transfers very much the other way.

RossScott1991
29-01-2019, 05:29 PM
Regardless of the ratings , was more to see all 33 players we have signed as a few in there I’d completely forgotten about.

Efe and the goalkeepers were great signings bogdan and rocky are two decent goalies for level we are at imo

Just Jimmy
29-01-2019, 05:30 PM
In your opinion

One of our best performances of the season came when he was unavailable Vs Celticthanks for pointing out what i post on this form is my opinion.

regardless, one performance doesn't make a season. there will be many others who agree that Scott Allan was Lennons best signing (alongside Efe) and that he was more impactful than and 8/10.

allezsauzee
29-01-2019, 05:32 PM
In your opinion

One of our best performances of the season came when he was unavailable Vs Celtic

So because we played well without him means he wasn't a top signing? Can't believe anyone who watched Scotty last season wouldn't have him as a 10/10 signing. A pure joy to watch this boy at work.

J-C
29-01-2019, 06:02 PM
A lot of poor players ranging from 3-6, not many near the 8-10 range, says it all really.

Beefster
29-01-2019, 06:04 PM

Agreed. I hate slideshows. Just a pishy way of getting page views up.

Sir David Gray
29-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Scott Bain a 6?

I get what they're saying about how he was involved in a deal which ultimately allowed us to sign Scott Allan but surely you have to judge players on how they performed for us. Considering Bain never played for us, 6/10 is a nonsense.

calumhibee1
29-01-2019, 06:11 PM
Allan and Efe should have been 10/10. Two signings that couldn’t have worked out any better and probably haven’t been bettered by any other team in Scotland over the last couple of years. Only Morelos has probably came close in terms of impact.

I made it 8 or 9 who get pass marks with a few in there who the jury is currently still out on.

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2019, 06:13 PM
:confused:

Brian Graham only got a 5 ??

Saint Hibee
29-01-2019, 06:33 PM
Simon Murray deserves more than a six, that's for sure.

BILLYHIBS
29-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Agree with the poster who questioned Scott Bain’s 6/10 when he never actually played for us :confused:

Austinho
29-01-2019, 06:43 PM
What I’m taking from that is Lennon replaced the stability and consistency of Stubb’s side with a bunch of loans and stop gaps that need replaced every single transfer window. I never got the feeling we were planning for the future with Neil, as long as he was getting results in the time being. The squad he leaves behind is still unbalanced and will need overhauled yet again in the summer.

To his credit though, he was brave enough to bring through some youth players.

WeeRussell
29-01-2019, 06:54 PM
''A raft of anoymous performances'' for Slivka...

How can you rate guys who played 31 minutes etc? Half of Lennons signings never played more than 5 games.

Haha you really do like Slivka huh (I don’t dislike him by the way).

But if it’s an assessment of all his signings, surely they have to have a rating based on how good a signing they’ve been, regardless of how long they have or haven’t played.

Stuart93
29-01-2019, 06:59 PM
When I looked at the list there were so many players in there I forgot about

brog
29-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Reads to me like the 1st salvo from Hibs in the propaganda war. Not a very complimentary article about his signings.

J-C
29-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Reads to me like the 1st salvo from Hibs in the propaganda war. Not a very complimentary article about his signings.

TBF there are a lot of no mark wasted signing in amongst that lot, jeez I'd forgotten about Humphrey and what a waste he was.

Squealing pig
29-01-2019, 08:03 PM
A lot of 💩 there tbh

Unseen work
29-01-2019, 09:31 PM
What I found weird are the amount of players we signed that barely kicked a ball for us.

I can understand signing players, play half a dozen games and not being good enough but we seem to have signed players are cover for our cover

Rherras
McLean
Mavrias
Nelom
Eardley
Swanson
Graham
Matulevicius

OK some played more than others but some poor signings there.

Combime some of there wages and I’m sure we could have got better players in.

Understand you’ve to be realistic though and we won’t pull off every signing.

But to say he wasn’t back just isn’t true. 33 signings in 2 and a half seasons?

Hibeesmad
30-01-2019, 06:23 AM
Out of 33 signings you are always going to have a selection of signings which are not going to reach the expectation expected. That’s football.

Hibeesmad
30-01-2019, 06:31 AM
Lennon signed 33 of his own players and sold or released 21 of the players that were at the club before his reign. Since his arrival in total the club has seen 33 incomings and 42 outgoings which includes loan players

Mac_17
30-01-2019, 08:13 AM
I forgot about a lot of players in that list. To see Lennon sign that many players with a lot of them duds. He surley can’t say that he wasn’t backed by the club. I feel like he was backed more than any other manager we have had.

LaMotta
30-01-2019, 08:33 AM
You could argue that a couple of players should have a point added on or taken off, but overall I think its quite a fair analysis.

Jones28
30-01-2019, 08:41 AM
And people are arguing he wasn't backed 😂😂😂

Paloschi
30-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Some utterly hopeless signings IMO. Brian Graham 😂. To be fair Efe, Rocky, Bogdan and Allan are class signings but that group is not a patch on Stubbs record.

bigwheel
30-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Some utterly hopeless signings IMO. Brian Graham 😂. To be fair Efe, Rocky, Bogdan and Allan are class signings but that group is not a patch on Stubbs record.

Brian Graham was brought in as a squad player - Scored a few important goals for us - was never hopeless, and equally was never going to be a key player. Not all players are brought in to be first team regulars.

easty
30-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Brian Graham was brought in as a squad player - Scored a few important goals for us - was never hopeless, and equally was never going to be a key player. Not all players are brought in to be first team regulars.

He was hopeless.

1van Sprou7e
30-01-2019, 10:18 AM
So because we played well without him means he wasn't a top signing? Can't believe anyone who watched Scotty last season wouldn't have him as a 10/10 signing. A pure joy to watch this boy at work.

When did I say he wasn't a top signing? Just arguing that he wasn't definitely our best signing, that would have to be Efe imo

hibsbollah
30-01-2019, 11:23 AM
He was hopeless.

I disagree. http://www.hibs.net/clear.gif (http://www.hibs.net/editpost.php?p=5687555&do=editpost) Graham scored some important goals without being spectacular, 6/10 is fair.

Neil Eardley is an interesting one. Good career, international caps for Wales, played for Blackpool in the top tier, we get him after multiple injuries, I saw both his games for us and he looked slower than a week in jail, hopeless. We get rid, he goes to Lincoln City, he gets player of the season in a very good side that are still near the stop of league two and I heard him getting raved about in a podcast yesterday:confused:

Speedy
30-01-2019, 12:34 PM
Must be in with a shout for the award fpr most backup keepers/full backs signed as manager.

SChibs
30-01-2019, 12:40 PM
TBF there are a lot of no mark wasted signing in amongst that lot, jeez I'd forgotten about Humphrey and what a waste he was.

I think Humphrey would have been decent for us if he hadn't got injured. Which can be said about a lot of players for Hibs these days.

Lendo
30-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Neal Eardley - WHO??

loanheadhibby
30-01-2019, 01:00 PM
And people are arguing he wasn't backed 😂😂😂

Harks back to the point tho, how many of the 33 did he want to sign and how many did the Recruitment team want to sign?

As a for instance, maybe Lennon wanted Ryan Christie but recruitment guys came up with Hyndman as a similar player, ready available and cheaper?

As we do not know how It actually operates other than manager as final say.

Pete
30-01-2019, 01:07 PM
Hard to rate players when some hardly even got a game.

Big Holt would get more than a 7 from me.

worcesterhibby
30-01-2019, 01:08 PM
To be honest Brain Graham was bought to replace Holt. lennon seems to be obsessed by having a big guy up front who we can launch the ball to and he can hold it up with his back to goal. This was pretty succesful for us in the Championship, particularly since we were playing Holt up front with Cummings, rather than on his own. He tried to bring in Emile Heskey aged 47 and remember we tried to sign Kyle bloody Lafferty. Graham was an honest player who tried hard and wasn't really technically good enough at the top level. After Graham we then signed Stokes as the big guy up front...which he isn't and he didn't enjoy playing that role and it all went pear shaped. We then got rid of him and Simon Murray (who actually did an excellent job for us), so that lennon could sign a couple of new strikers to freshen things up. In came Flo and JM and partly because we also signed Allan, Lennon started playing 2 up front as standard. We stopped punting the ball up to a big striker and brilliant football ensued. This season we started by trying to do the same thing, but without McGeouch, Allan and ultimatley McGinn..the quality of service wasn't there for the strikers. Lennon then reverted back to type and asked Flo to become a target man (which he isn't) and the downhill period began. I suspect Lennon was demanding that we bring in another big target man type forward to replace Flo and JM. To be honest in hindsight I'm kind of glad he's gone. There were periods of very good football under lennon...mostly in the second half of last season, but on the whole he seemed to prefer to play one up front and lump the ball for a lot of his tenure.

I know I'm over simplifying things and with Stokes and Murray up front that wasn't always the case, but there is an essence of truth in there I think.

HibeeHibernian4
30-01-2019, 02:18 PM
To be honest Brain Graham was bought to replace Holt. lennon seems to be obsessed by having a big guy up front who we can launch the ball to and he can hold it up with his back to goal.

Brian Graham and Grant Holt signed in the same summer and were in the same squad, Graham wasn't a replacement for Holt, a back-up maybe.

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2019, 02:48 PM

A tad harsh old bean!

Played 8 won 6 drawn 2 lost 0 scored 1

Had pace to burn seem to remember him ripping the Hearts defence to shreads in a 3–1 victory

Unlucky with injuries and could not get back into the team and eventually returned back down south

Baader
30-01-2019, 02:52 PM
33 signings is just a normal transfer window for Levein.

HibeeHibernian4
30-01-2019, 03:10 PM
A tad harsh old bean!

Played 8 won 6 drawn 2 lost 0 scored 1

Had pace to burn seem to remember him ripping the Hearts defence to shreads in a 3–1 victory

Unlucky with injuries and could not get back into the team and eventually returned back down south

Dundee United's defence*.

He played a genuinely excellent two minutes against Hearts and then injured himself and had to be taken off.

BILLYHIBS
30-01-2019, 03:17 PM
Dundee United's defence*.

He played a genuinely excellent two minutes against Hearts and then injured himself and had to be taken off.

Yes!

The Dundee Utd defence in a 3-0 win

Against Hearts their defence was terrified for all of five minutes. :greengrin

Still not the disaster that the OP is trying to insinuate

When the legend becomes fact print the legend !

HibeeHibernian4
30-01-2019, 03:21 PM
Yes!

The Dundee Utd defence in a 3-0 win

Against Hearts their defence was terrified for all of five minutes. :greengrin

Still not the disaster that the OP is trying to insinuate

When the legend becomes fact print the legend !

Completely agreed with everything else you wrote by the way. I think he was one of Lennon's best signings of the 2016/17 season (apart from Ambrose, but he didn't arrive until March).

heretoday
30-01-2019, 03:24 PM
If it's the same article I saw it was a pretty fair summing up. Maybe Whittaker could have been posted up a notch. He hasn't been terrible all of the time.

I imagine most clubs will tell a similar story about signings.

dmc1875
30-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Bare in mind the article is ridiculous as they weren’t all his signings anyway...we have a recruitment team and they signed a fair few of those players, some without lennons input so the article is irrelevant

Jones28
30-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Harks back to the point tho, how many of the 33 did he want to sign and how many did the Recruitment team want to sign?

As a for instance, maybe Lennon wanted Ryan Christie but recruitment guys came up with Hyndman as a similar player, ready available and cheaper?

As we do not know how It actually operates other than manager as final say.

I would suggest that the manager singed most of them, with Eardley and those others on free, short term deals being the recruitment team.

I think the recruitment team have a less input in terms of final say than we think, why would a manager in any capacity want to be in a situation where they don't have control over the ins and outs?

Jones28
30-01-2019, 05:21 PM
Bare in mind the article is ridiculous as they weren’t all his signings anyway...we have a recruitment team and they signed a fair few of those players, some without lennons input so the article is irrelevant

How many?

CockneyRebel
30-01-2019, 05:23 PM

And you know this how? He probably didn't scout anyone but he would have a say in who was signed. If he was just being given players and told "that's what you've got to work with pal" he would have gone long ago.

The Modfather
30-01-2019, 06:02 PM

Will we give the recruitment team credit for the likes Ambros as well then? I’d be surprised if someone who we keep being told is a winner would meekly accept players he didn’t have any input to.

dmc1875
30-01-2019, 08:04 PM
Will we give the recruitment team credit for the likes Ambros as well then? I’d be surprised if someone who we keep being told is a winner would meekly accept players he didn’t have any input to.

Yes I would give them credit, obviously, but the clubs recruitment team, as there is a dedicated team as it says on the tin, have signed players for the head coach.

I’m merely stating he didn’t sign all of those players.

judas
30-01-2019, 08:39 PM
Overall Lennons signings were awful.

Just as well he inherited so many good players or god knows what crisis we would be discussing now.