PDA

View Full Version : Stubbs as caretaker?

Perd Hapley
29-01-2019, 11:25 AM
Just a thought, but the approach of appointing someone who knows the club as caretaker while the club conducts a full and proper hiring process has been employed elsewhere - seems to have worked for Rangers and Man U in different ways. I'm not saying Stubbsy is going to do a Solksjaer and there are obviously quite legitimate concerns over his ability these days given his career path since leaving us but I can't help but think the dressing room must need a healer right now and there's no-one who knows this current squad of players better outwith the current structure than Stubbs.

Might also be the best chance we have of getting Allan over the line, given I don't think it's an overstatement to say Stubbs is the only other manager he's really shined for. Suppose that could work both ways though given Scott's Rotherham spell which by all accounts ended disharmoniously.

Many have pointed out that Stubbs' success at Hibs was possibly in large part down to John Doolan - no idea how he's getting on at Accrington Stanley (?) but wonder if he could be tempted back up north with the Premiership in 2019.

Would give the club a chance to get the current issues over and by with and hopefully get transfers over the line - one can only imagine that a club without a manager is a hard sell in player negotiations. Assuming the likes of Strachan aren't interested/available immediately then I feel sounding Stubbs and Doolan out makes a lot of sense right now.

Lots of speculation - I just hope something gets sorted soon. Marc McNulty sounds potentially exciting

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 11:26 AM
Give it to Doolan full time, in my honest opinion.

Diclonius
29-01-2019, 11:27 AM
Stubbs and Doolan till the end of the season would be my preferred choice. He knows the club and a lot of the players he managed last time around are still here. He could stabilise things and maybe even end our three year Scottish Cup hoodoo! :wink:

makaveli1875
29-01-2019, 11:33 AM
im not sure a caretaker is the answer and as much as i love Stubbsy i hope we think outside the box a bit more for a new manager .

Get the new manager in now and be prepared properly for next season

Barman Stanton
29-01-2019, 11:37 AM
I would take him in a second. He gets unfairly criticized by Hibs fans who seem to forget we had Rangers and Hearts to compete with for promotion. Brought some fantastic players to the club and was key in bringing the feel good back (even outwith that day).

Perd Hapley
29-01-2019, 11:38 AM
Forgot to add that the benefit of a caretaker manager is of course that if the caretaker exceeds in his role then there's always the option of giving him the job. The Stubbs of 2019 is maybe a bit of an unknown quantity but I think he deserves a second chance and in the current circumstances we could do worse than keep Stubbs as a fall-back while taking the time to identify the right person for the club. This is assuming he'd be interested ofc but something tells me he'd be back here in a heartbeat

Speedy
29-01-2019, 11:41 AM
No thanks

Beefster
29-01-2019, 11:43 AM
If we have to go down the caretaker route, I'd rather Grant Murray just did it. Stubbs' time has been and gone.

allmodcons
29-01-2019, 11:53 AM
If we have to go down the caretaker route, I'd rather Grant Murray just did it. Stubbs' time has been and gone.

Agree with this.

If we are going to appoint a caretaker for 6 months, which I hope is not the plan, then he should come from within.

we are hibs
29-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Our most successful manager since Collins. Genuinely don't see the harm in an appointment until the end of the season
. If it works out then he could stay if it didn't then we have had a few months to look at other people rather than rushing into an appointment. At the end of the day he knows the club and what it's like to work within the structure in place. What harm can it do?

BroxburnHibee
29-01-2019, 11:55 AM
Our most successful manager since Collins. Genuinely don't see the harm in an appointment until the end of the season
. If it works out then he could stay if it didn't then we have had a few months to look at other people rather than rushing into an appointment. At the end of the day he knows the club and what it's like to work within the structure in place. What harm can it do?

I wasn't bothered to see him go but if we are looking to appoint someone asap after the Lennon situation is dealt with then I agree.

allmodcons
29-01-2019, 11:56 AM

You might want to ask that question on St Mirren.net

we are hibs
29-01-2019, 11:58 AM

Fans who hounded him out after 6 league games? He won 2 of them and his predecessor has won the same in about 18 games. Some people fit at certain clubs with certain people behind them.

BoomtownHibees
29-01-2019, 11:59 AM

The same St Mirren who sacked him early doors whilst they were 2nd bottom of the league and are now bottom?

The 90+2
29-01-2019, 12:00 PM
I don't think he would take it as caretaker.

hibsfan7
29-01-2019, 12:00 PM
Yes please

allmodcons
29-01-2019, 12:04 PM
Fans who hounded him out after 6 league games? He won 2 of them and his predecessor has won the same in about 18 games. Some people fit at certain clubs with certain people behind them.

The same St Mirren who sacked him early doors whilst they were 2nd bottom of the league and are now bottom?

Their support does appear to be a bit fickle right enough. Nothing like us.

proud_and_green
29-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Not for me unless there is no other option. Neither do I understand what the push for a caretaker is. Get permanent in then that person can steady the ship and use the time till the end of the season to assess the squad and decide what needs to be done in summer window.
As for who it should be on a permanent basis, someone with Lenny's ambition but with a touch of realism and better people skills. Also would like so. Wine with status in the game and who understands our game and also the is known in England.

Sent from my G8441 using Tapatalk

Gloucester Hibs
29-01-2019, 12:12 PM

Also, did Stubbs have Doolan as assistant at St Mirren? IIRC it was Darren Jackson.

I'd be up for Stubbs returning as caretaker/trial period but only if accompanied by Doolan (who I believe is currently at Accrington?)

Smartie
29-01-2019, 12:13 PM
For Stubbs to succeed at Hibs with our current injury list he's going to need to have a physio with big balls.

Winston Ingram
29-01-2019, 12:17 PM
Nope!

Diclonius
29-01-2019, 12:27 PM

St Mirren sacked the first manager to win them them anything for 26 years and replaced him with Tommy Craig. They then replaced Ian Murray with Alex Rae, a guy who's claim to fame was being bad as the manager of Dundee for a while.

St Mirren have a record of making poor managerial decisions whether hiring or firing (bar the Jack Ross fluke) - I wouldn't take anything that happens there as indicative of anything.

greenlex
29-01-2019, 12:28 PM
For Stubbs to succeed at Hibs with our current injury list he's going to need to have a physio with big balls.

Brilliant

Sioux
29-01-2019, 12:28 PM

Was the problem not that the physio had already been provided with big balls?

easty
29-01-2019, 12:31 PM

:tee hee:

Hibeesmad
29-01-2019, 12:33 PM
I think Doolan would walk over broken glass too come back to us

easty
29-01-2019, 12:33 PM
I would take him in a second. He gets unfairly criticized by Hibs fans who seem to forget we had Rangers and Hearts to compete with for promotion. Brought some fantastic players to the club and was key in bringing the feel good back (even outwith that day).

How does that work now then? He's got those two teams to compete with now, as well as other better sides than we were playing the last time he was in charge.

The 90+2
29-01-2019, 12:37 PM
Was the problem not that the physio had already been provided with big balls?

Erm, I'm not exactly sure that was the case. :wink:

Smartie
29-01-2019, 12:38 PM
How does that work now then? He's got those two teams to compete with now, as well as other better sides than we were playing the last time he was in charge.

He won't be expected to finish ahead of them all in first this time.

The expectation will be to compete with them and a regular top 4 finish would be more than acceptable.

easty
29-01-2019, 12:41 PM

The expectation will be to compete with them and a regular top 4 finish would be more than acceptable.

Stubbs isn't the right man for the job, in my opinion. I think it'd be a mistake to bring him back.

Smartie
29-01-2019, 12:48 PM
Stubbs isn't the right man for the job, in my opinion. I think it'd be a mistake to bring him back.

Depends what the job is.

He's as good a shout as anyone until the end of the season.

If he's allowed to bring in Doolan and Taff again then I'm not sure there will be many better management teams out there.

I look back on Stubbs' time at Hibs as a huge success.

And as long as they are able to explain and analyse it I'm content for someone to have a few failures under their belt too.

proud_and_green
29-01-2019, 12:53 PM
Erm, I'm not exactly sure that was the case. :wink:I confess not to knowing what this was about but I now have a fair idea and wonder whether these comments are beginning to stray in to legally difficult territory?

eastmainsmsh
29-01-2019, 12:54 PM
Yes in a heartbeat knows the club and strategy knows the players Rod and Leann

Not In The Know
29-01-2019, 12:57 PM

As good as Sundays result was Murray and May still started the game with Kamberi up front on his own. The same basic mistake we have been making all season. i don't think they will get a bounce/ lift from the squad to get us into the top 6.

Stubbs might - with the huge caveat its a caretaker role...

Perd Hapley
29-01-2019, 12:58 PM
Not for me unless there is no other option. Neither do I understand what the push for a caretaker is. Get permanent in then that person can steady the ship and use the time till the end of the season to assess the squad and decide what needs to be done in summer window.
As for who it should be on a permanent basis, someone with Lenny's ambition but with a touch of realism and better people skills. Also would like so. Wine with status in the game and who understands our game and also the is known in England.

Personally speaking I feel we as Hibs fans should know the damage that can be done by rushed managerial appointments under pressure - if Strachan, Moyes or someone of that calibre were interested and available then I'd potentially be all for an immediate appointment but if not I don't think we have anything to lose by handing over to someone who knows the set-up - to an extent, I daresay there have been changes after 2 and a half years of Lennon - at least for the interim. Hard to think of a better candidate to steady the ship than Stubbs with that in mind.

All that said I'd sooner take Strachan or Moyes if they were up for it - my instinct is going backwards with football managers is usually a bad idea. If a suitable candidate doesn't immediately present itself though then I fail to see the harm in handing over to someone like Stubbs and Doolan - apart from anything else it'd strengthen our hand considerably in terms of being able to offer a different potential manager a club on an even keel with a bit of stability without so much pressure. Likewise gives the caretaker management an obvious incentive to do as well as they can to put themselves in the frame.

This reddit thread reflects much of my reasoning I feel https://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishFootball/comments/ak5793/whos_your_bet_for_next_hibs_manager/

Edit: also worth bearing in mind I think that Eddie May for one clearly isn't particularly comfortable in management

Not In The Know
29-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Personally speaking I feel we as Hibs fans should know the damage that can be done by rushed managerial appointments under pressure - if Strachan, Moyes or someone of that calibre were interested and available then I'd potentially be all for an immediate appointment but if not I don't think we have anything to lose by handing over to someone who knows the set-up - to an extent, I daresay there have been changes after 2 and a half years of Lennon - at least for the interim. Hard to think of a better candidate to steady the ship than Stubbs with that in mind.

All that said I'd sooner take Strachan or Moyes if they were up for it - my instinct is going backwards with football managers is usually a bad idea. If a suitable candidate doesn't immediately present itself though then I fail to see the harm in handing over to someone like Stubbs and Doolan - apart from anything else it'd strengthen our hand considerably in terms of being able to offer a different potential manager a club on an even keel with a bit of stability without so much pressure. Likewise gives the caretaker management an obvious incentive to do as well as they can to out themselves in the frame.

This reddit thread reflects much of my reasoning I feel https://www.reddit.com/r/ScottishFootball/comments/ak5793/whos_your_bet_for_next_hibs_manager/

Edit: also worth bearing in mind I think that Eddie May for one clearly isn't particularly comfortable in management

What are Taff and Doolan doing at the moment. would the up sticks for a 4 month caretaker job?

H18S NX
29-01-2019, 01:00 PM
...........CLEVER:not worth

Perd Hapley
29-01-2019, 01:09 PM
Seems Accrington Stanley are 15th in League one, and Andy Holden has on the other hand been managing Flint Town United since working with Stubbs at Rotherham. Not to slight in any way Accrington Stanley or the Cymru Alliance but I suspect they might both be interested

I'm away to rewatch the end scene of The Damned United

Diclonius
29-01-2019, 01:16 PM
What happened between Stubbs and Doolan? Was there a falling out?

One Day Soon
29-01-2019, 01:17 PM

It was a fair demand at the time that we compete to finish ahead of them - we didn't. Rangers were still effectively surviving month to month and Hearts were in no great financial shape either.

I'd argue his record as a league manager with us was, pound for pound, worse than Lennon's by quite a margin.

I'd still give him the role just now though. I think he has what it takes to deliver in a league where football is played rather than hand to hand combat and at a club that isn't skint - which both Rotherham and St Mirren, in relative terms in their leagues, were.

marleyhib
29-01-2019, 01:21 PM
I checked and he got just 4 league games at St Mirren: beat Dundee then lost to The Rangers, Livi then Hearts.
Seems well harsh tho they did have some crap results in the League Cup.

500miles
29-01-2019, 01:34 PM
I checked and he got just 4 league games at St Mirren: beat Dundee then lost to The Rangers, Livi then Hearts.
Seems well harsh tho they did have some crap results in the League Cup.

He signed a lot of talented young players who had never really kicked a first team ball. St Mirren couldn't get him the experienced players he was targeting, and they started the season with a bad injury list.

Smartie
29-01-2019, 03:03 PM
It was a fair demand at the time that we compete to finish ahead of them - we didn't. Rangers were still effectively surviving month to month and Hearts were in no great financial shape either.

I'd argue his record as a league manager with us was, pound for pound, worse than Lennon's by quite a margin.

I'd still give him the role just now though. I think he has what it takes to deliver in a league where football is played rather than hand to hand combat and at a club that isn't skint - which both Rotherham and St Mirren, in relative terms in their leagues, were.

Hearts had a colossal head start on him the first season, no way could any manager be reasonably expected to pick us up from relegation and finish ahead of them. Stubbs did about as well as could be expected, and he finished ahead of Rangers that year, losing in a 2 leg play-off (anything can happen over 2 games) to a reinvigorated Rangers under McCall.

Rangers were a much improved side the following year. TBH, until this season I don't think their team has been as good at any point since as it was that season under Warburton. They had a small but very good squad and got lucky with injuries. We put up a decent fight and lost the plot in the second half of the season when the cup runs started to take their toll.

I think the "finishing above Rangers" one year cancels out the "finishing behind Falkirk" in the other.

And that's before you take into consideration other factors - signing some of the best players we've had in decades, picking us up in a shambolic state, securing a Holy Grail and getting to Hampden with regularity.

easty
29-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Hearts had a colossal head start on him the first season, no way could any manager be reasonably expected to pick us up from relegation and finish ahead of them. Stubbs did about as well as could be expected, and he finished ahead of Rangers that year, losing in a 2 leg play-off (anything can happen over 2 games) to a reinvigorated Rangers under McCall.

Rangers were a much improved side the following year. TBH, until this season I don't think their team has been as good at any point since as it was that season under Warburton. They had a small but very good squad and got lucky with injuries. We put up a decent fight and lost the plot in the second half of the season when the cup runs started to take their toll.

I think the "finishing above Rangers" one year cancels out the "finishing behind Falkirk" in the other.

And that's before you take into consideration other factors - signing some of the best players we've had in decades, picking us up in a shambolic state, securing a Holy Grail and getting to Hampden with regularity.

Firstly, no Hibs fan will ever deny that Stubbs winning us the Scottish was unreal, he deserves legend status for it. The rest though...it's just excuses.

We came down at the same time as Hearts, but they finished the season 21 points clear of us. This wasn't strong Hearts side who'd been playing together for years, it was a tatties Hearts side who'd finished bottom of the league and brought in a load of new players over the summer. Neilson only took the managers job a few weeks before Stubbs took the Hibs job. They had just as much chance of winning that league as we did at the start of the season. They romped it, we were pish.

Stuart93
29-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Get a new manager in now, give him time to get to know the squad then he can kick on with signings in the summer knowing what areas need strengthened, pointless bringing in a caretaker imo

easty
29-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Get a new manager in now, give him time to get to know the squad then he can kick on with signings in the summer knowing what areas need strengthened, pointless bringing in a caretaker imo

:agree:

Gordy M
29-01-2019, 03:31 PM

I agree...IF the manager they identify is available in January. He may not be.

IGRIGI
29-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Eddie May has inside knowledge on Falkirk so Stubbs might actually be able to finish above them this time around.

HibbySpurs
29-01-2019, 03:38 PM
As a club our fascination with bringing back former members of the footballing staff at times baffles me, so many and how many have worked out?

Stokes springs to mind and so often it just isn’t the same.

Stubbs is a club legend and rightly so but he’s had his tenure and for me it’s time to move on and progress.

There will be a que down Albion Road for the job and the board should take their time and get it right. Form me leave EM and GM in charge for now, we’re not in serious trouble in the league and spending a few weeks getting it right could pay dividends next season. I think EM & GM can still get us top six anyway with the squad available.

we are hibs
29-01-2019, 03:38 PM
Eddie May has inside knowledge on Falkirk so Stubbs might actually be able to finish above them this time around.

Pretty much a certainty given they're bottom of the championship. Oh, and he finished about them 14/15 season and Eddie May was here when Stubbs was first time around.

Brizo
29-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Stubbs for me is a bonafide Hibs legend and for that reason I wouldn't want to see him back at the club. A few bad results and an element of the support would forget all about the SCF and give him plenty of abuse. I'd prefer he keep his legend status intact.

Plus Stubbsys success at Hibs was very much down to the whole management team including Doolan and Holden who were an integral part of both coaching and man management. I don't know if he took them to Rotherham but he certainly didn't have them at St Mirren. I think they made a major contribution to our SCF success.

I think "never go back" is a pretty good motto for managers and players as it rarely works out as well the second time round.

HoboHarry
29-01-2019, 03:39 PM
As a club our fascination with bringing back former members of the footballing staff at times baffles me, so many and how many have worked out?

Stokes springs to mind and so often it just isn’t the same.

Stubbs is a club legend and rightly so but he’s had his tenure and for me it’s time to move on and progress.

There will be a que down Albion Road for the job and the board should take their time and get it right. Form me leave EM and GM in charge for now, we’re not in serious trouble in the league and spending a few weeks getting it right could pay dividends next season. I think EM & GM can still get us top six anyway with the squad available.
Without the cup final even Stokes would have been a meh in the opinion of some......

HibbySpurs
29-01-2019, 03:46 PM
Without the cup final even Stokes would have been a meh in the opinion of some......

Exactly, and the same could be levelled at AS, two fantastic cup runs that season and we probably should have done a cup double but the fact remains that he was appointed to get the club promoted first and foremost regardless of the opposition in the league and he failed to do that two seasons running even with the play off as a “safety net”.

Smartie
29-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Firstly, no Hibs fan will ever deny that Stubbs winning us the Scottish was unreal, he deserves legend status for it. The rest though...it's just excuses.

We came down at the same time as Hearts, but they finished the season 21 points clear of us. This wasn't strong Hearts side who'd been playing together for years, it was a tatties Hearts side who'd finished bottom of the league and brought in a load of new players over the summer. Neilson only took the managers job a few weeks before Stubbs took the Hibs job. They had just as much chance of winning that league as we did at the start of the season. They romped it, we were pish.

I'm not entirely sure where "perspective" ends and "excuses" start, but I think there is far more of the former required than the latter here.

Hearts had had a season to bed in the majority of their side. Having lived outwit their means for so long, even when they shed the high earners as administration etc took effect they were left with a strong core of very decent young players. Knowing that they were going to be up against it and anything other than 1st for them would be a disaster, they were planning for the First Division long before the previous season ended.

Stubbs did brilliantly to get within 21 points of them. The majority of those points came early in the season, when he was still bedding his side in and getting used to management himself. By about December I thought he had a side that was at least Hearts' equal (in itself a fantastic achievement considering what he inherited) but they were too far ahead by then.

DH1875
29-01-2019, 04:15 PM
It's a NO from me but I can see how it suits/fits both parties and think its quite probably on the cards.

easty
29-01-2019, 04:16 PM
I'm not entirely sure where "perspective" ends and "excuses" start, but I think there is far more of the former required than the latter here.

Hearts had had a season to bed in the majority of their side. Having lived outwit their means for so long, even when they shed the high earners as administration etc took effect they were left with a strong core of very decent young players. Knowing that they were going to be up against it and anything other than 1st for them would be a disaster, they were planning for the First Division long before the previous season ended.

Stubbs did brilliantly to get within 21 points of them. The majority of those points came early in the season, when he was still bedding his side in and getting used to management himself. By about December I thought he had a side that was at least Hearts' equal (in itself a fantastic achievement considering what he inherited) but they were too far ahead by then.

Nah. We definitely see things differently.

To come out with “Stubbs did brilliantly to get within 21 points of them” is unreal. That’s embarrassingly far behind.

The Hearts team Neilson inherited wasn’t ready for the Championship...a quick check on wiki shows they signed basically a whole team that summer - Gomis, Alexander, Buaben, Keatings, Sow, Pallardo, Eckersley, Ozturk. I’m pretty sure they all played regularly for them.

I don’t even think they had a better team than us that season, there wasn’t much in it anyway. We finished miles behind them though.

Musselbound
29-01-2019, 04:18 PM
I don't think he would take it as caretaker.

That's pretty much my line of thinking. Isn't Stuubs likely to say, if you want me then offer me a contract. Similarly, if Stubbs is who the board think is right for the job then they should just offer it to him. Better to start building for the future now than more chopping and changing in the summer. Solskaer is something of an exception but bringing in a caretaker and hedging your bets just doesn't show any conviction or clear plan for moving forward.

Smartie
29-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Nah. We definitely see things differently.

To come out with “Stubbs did brilliantly to get within 21 points of them” is unreal. That’s embarrassingly far behind.

The Hearts team Neilson inherited wasn’t ready for the Championship...a quick check on wiki shows they signed basically a whole team that summer - Gomis, Alexander, Buaben, Keatings, Sow, Pallardo, Eckersley, Ozturk. I’m pretty sure they all played regularly for them.

I don’t even think they had a better team than us that season, there wasn’t much in it anyway. We finished miles behind them though.

We clearly do.

Neilson got to start with Paterson, Walker, Holt, Nicholson and was given a pretty decent budget to get those other players in. Even if Neilson wasn't there, I'm sure his "director of football" would have been getting these players in in plenty of time, as he tends to do.

Stubbs had to sift through Nelson, Tudor-Jones, Heffernan and others (and that was even after Butcher had got rid of a few) and managed to just about get a tune out of Liam Craig and Scott Robertson. It was telling that of the relegation side, only Cummings, Hanlon and Stevenson remained when we lifted the cup a year later.

Did that Hearts team not finish third the following year? That's not bad.

And I agree that they didn't have a better team than us for most of that season. By the time we hit our stride, we were very decent. Unfortunately their team at the start of the season was miles better than ours as it unsurprisingly took us a bit of time for us to get going.

If we were going to knock Stubbs' record at Hibs, I would certainly not be using that season. My main concern would be the second half of the second season. IMO he had his only bad transfer window that January and went from being level-pegging with Rangers to finishing miles behind them with some very shoddy performances along the way. I know the cup runs took a lot out of us but from the position we were in, I think we should have made a better effort in the league and a lot of the culpability that we didn't lies with Stubbs and his decisions (transfers made, squad rotation etc).

It's that period I'd want most answers from him about when it comes to whether or not he'd have what it takes with us this time around.

Smartie
29-01-2019, 04:47 PM
That's pretty much my line of thinking. Isn't Stuubs likely to say, if you want me then offer me a contract. Similarly, if Stubbs is who the board think is right for the job then they should just offer it to him. Better to start building for the future now than more chopping and changing in the summer. Solskaer is something of an exception but bringing in a caretaker and hedging your bets just doesn't show any conviction or clear plan for moving forward.

Given the way his last couple of jobs went, Stubbs isn't going to be getting any offers any time soon.

If he was to be offered a stage upon which to show folk what he can do, I think he'd take it.

Beefster
29-01-2019, 05:11 PM
Stubbs did brilliantly to get within 21 points of them.

Taking into account their docked points, we finished 3 points behind them when we were both relegated. To claim that, the next season, going from 3 points behind to 21 behind is ‘brilliant’ is nonsense imho.

WeeRussell
29-01-2019, 05:52 PM

Did that make you feel all big and clever?

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 06:02 PM

That margin is also known as 'one point'.

SquashedFrogg
29-01-2019, 06:05 PM

Sometimes I worry about adults typing stuff like this.

Famous Fiver
29-01-2019, 06:19 PM
That's four days we've had now so it is fair to deduce that as well as 'negotiating' departures of Lennon and Parker some feelers have been put out about possible successors or will there be an ad appearing on a jobs website soon?

I take it the club will have to be very careful about what they do while NL and GP are theoretically still on the books.

Sooner it's resolved the better but if it is Stubbs, perhaps feelers have already gone out.

Gordon Strachan in the frame? That was the first name mentioned to me.

IGRIGI
29-01-2019, 06:25 PM
Did that make you feel all big and clever?

After reviewing the triggering it caused I can confirm that yes, yes it did.

we are hibs
29-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Exactly, and the same could be levelled at AS, two fantastic cup runs that season and we probably should have done a cup double but the fact remains that he was appointed to get the club promoted first and foremost regardless of the opposition in the league and he failed to do that two seasons running even with the play off as a “safety net”.

"Regardless of the opposition in the league"? Really? So you don't take into account the fact that hearts had a year to prepare for being in the championship and already had a team of young guys there who got them back up? Or that rangers have a budget easily a few times bigger than the one Stubbs had and even in the 2nd season you could say it was all or bust for them in terms of promotion whereas for us it wasn't as vital?

People forget we finished ahead of rangers in 2nd first season in the championship and finished behind a freak hearts side who ran away with it and were never going to be caught. Then the second season we got to 2 cup finals including 2 replays which added onto the amount of games we already had with a small squad on a shoestring budget. The reason we didn't go up through the play offs was the fact we ran out of steam. I don't believe there are people on here who genuinely believe Stubbs wouldn't have got us promoted if he stayed in the 3rd season. It was almost a given we would go up (even if we did make hard work of it in the end)

snedzuk
29-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Alan Stubbs is a gentleman who can lead by example and was and would be a credit to our club.

WeeRussell
29-01-2019, 06:40 PM
Yep if we’re disregarding the opposition in the league why is it always brought up that he failed to finish above Falkirk?

NthCarolinaHibs
29-01-2019, 06:57 PM

Deary deary me...

SquashedFrogg
29-01-2019, 07:01 PM

Pretty sad.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2019, 07:10 PM
I actually think it disrespectful to Stubbsy to consider him only as an "interim" manager.

It's like saying to him: "Hey Stubbsy, we like you as a person and will always be grateful for that wonderful day in May.
This aside, as you failed to get us up through either automatic promotion or the playoffs, we actually don't have the confidence in you to manage us permanently in The SPL, but will you manage us until we find the manager we really want?

Keith_M
29-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Stubbs was great when we were playing the bigger clubs but couldn't find a way to beat the so-called "lesser teams".

Considering that's been the pattern of the last three months or so of Lennon's reign, it makes me wonder if he's really the best choice.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2019, 07:15 PM
"Regardless of the opposition in the league"? Really? So you don't take into account the fact that hearts had a year to prepare for being in the championship and already had a team of young guys there who got them back up? Or that rangers have a budget easily a few times bigger than the one Stubbs had and even in the 2nd season you could say it was all or bust for them in terms of promotion whereas for us it wasn't as vital?

People forget we finished ahead of rangers in 2nd first season in the championship and finished behind a freak hearts side who ran away with it and were never going to be caught. Then the second season we got to 2 cup finals including 2 replays which added onto the amount of games we already had with a small squad on a shoestring budget. The reason we didn't go up through the play offs was the fact we ran out of steam. I don't believe there are people on here who genuinely believe Stubbs wouldn't have got us promoted if he stayed in the 3rd season. It was almost a given we would go up (even if we did make hard work of it in the end)

Mere conjecture and the stuff of fantasy. We could all make these kind of statements. The fact is that Stubbsy wasn't here for a 3rd season.

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Mere conjecture and the stuff of fantasy. We could all make these kind of statements. The fact is that Stubbsy wasn't here for a 3rd season.

Genuinely looking at how that table finished, it would be impressive not to go up. Dundee United were useless, Falkirk fell apart and absolutely nobody kicked on and challenged us from January.

Leith Green
29-01-2019, 07:40 PM
I wouldn’t be too disappointed if stubbs were to get the job.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2019, 07:41 PM
Genuinely looking at how that table finished, it would be impressive not to go up. Dundee United were useless, Falkirk fell apart and absolutely nobody kicked on and challenged us from January.

It's still hypothetical and the stuff of fantasy. None of us can predict what might have unfolded.

Smartie
29-01-2019, 07:42 PM
I actually think it disrespectful to Stubbsy to consider him only as an "interim" manager.

It's like saying to him: "Hey Stubbsy, we like you as a person and will always be grateful for that wonderful day in May.
This aside, as you failed to get us up through either automatic promotion or the playoffs, we actually don't have the confidence in you to manage us permanently in The SPL, but will you manage us until we find the manager we really want?

It depends on how you want to look at it and sell it.

"Hey Stubbsy. We've found ourselves in a bit of a predicament. As you know, we as a football club are not the types to fire on a whim and really value stability. An incident last week has caught us very much on the hop, leaving us short of a head coach and needing an interim replacement for a while whilst we work out what to do for the role longer term. We rate you as a person and as a manager and would be hugely grateful if you could help us out on a short-term basis. If the short-term spell is a success, there is nothing to stop you applying for the role on a permanent basis and with your history at the club we would always look favourably upon such an application. We are confident that there is nothing either party could lose from a successful short-term stint and for our part we would endeavour to make your spell every bit as successful as your last one. How about it?

ps - thanks again for the Cup."

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2019, 07:46 PM

"Hey Stubbsy. We've found ourselves in a bit of a predicament. As you know, we as a football club are not the types to fire on a whim and really value stability. An incident last week has caught us very much on the hop, leaving us short of a head coach and needing an interim replacement for a while whilst we work out what to do for the role longer term. We rate you as a person and as a manager and would be hugely grateful if you could help us out on a short-term basis. If the short-term spell is a success, there is nothing to stop you applying for the role on a permanent basis and with your history at the club we would always look favourably upon such an application. We are confident that there is nothing either party could lose from a successful short-term stint and for our part we would endeavour to make your spell every bit as successful as your last one. How about it?"

That's what we might call "a diplomatic approach and sell".
Devious, but clever and pursuasive to boot.

.Sean.
29-01-2019, 07:48 PM
I have a feeling it’ll be Stubbs until May. No brainier for me.

Imagine the scenes if we win the cup again

29-01-2019, 07:52 PM

"Hey Stubbsy. We've found ourselves in a bit of a predicament. As you know, we as a football club are not the types to fire on a whim and really value stability. An incident last week has caught us very much on the hop, leaving us short of a head coach and needing an interim replacement for a while whilst we work out what to do for the role longer term. We rate you as a person and as a manager and would be hugely grateful if you could help us out on a short-term basis. If the short-term spell is a success, there is nothing to stop you applying for the role on a permanent basis and with your history at the club we would always look favourably upon such an application. We are confident that there is nothing either party could lose from a successful short-term stint and for our part we would endeavour to make your spell every bit as successful as your last one. How about it?"

Stubbsy:" Why did you get rid of the last guy?"

Seriously though, I'd be happy if we offered him a contract to the end of the season. We could include a clause that extends it a season if he gets us top 6, 2 seasons if he gets us top 4. He's then allowed to bring in Doolan and Taff in the summer.

pacoluna
29-01-2019, 07:53 PM
It's still hypothetical and the stuff of fantasy. None of us can predict what might have unfolded.

They speak hypothetically to support Stubbs but discredit Lennon. Tedious stuff.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2019, 07:56 PM
They speak hypothetically to support Stubbs but discredit Lennon. Tedious stuff.

Ditto!

Smartie
29-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Stubbsy:" Why did you get rid of the last guy?"

Seriously though, I'd be happy if we offered him a contract to the end of the season. We could include a clause that extends it a season if he gets us top 6, 2 seasons if he gets us top 4. He's then allowed to bring in Doolan and Taff in the summer.

"He's gone 2 years without delivering any Holy Grails and some of his signings make Islam Feruz look like John McGinn.

(Although some of his other signings have been no bad - you are getting some pretty good players to work with, some you already know well).

So - how's about it?"

Keith_M
29-01-2019, 08:05 PM
Has anybody else noticed that it's the same few posters turning almost every thread into one big, petty argument?

Quite sad, really.

we are hibs
29-01-2019, 08:07 PM

And the fact is neil lennon is no longer hibs manager but we will still get the boring posts about how Lennon would've done this and that differently between now and the end of the season everytime we lose a game. It's not my fault the forum is full of chronic Stubbs haters and Lennon lovers.

Leith Green
29-01-2019, 08:10 PM
I have a feeling it’ll be Stubbs until May. No brainier for me.

Imagine the scenes if we win the cup again

Be funny if it was stubbs and we got hearts in the next round of the Scottish

Phil MaGlass
29-01-2019, 08:10 PM

This

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2019, 09:13 PM
And the fact is neil lennon is no longer hibs manager but we will still get the boring posts about how Lennon would've done this and that differently between now and the end of the season everytime we lose a game. It's not my fault the forum is full of chronic Stubbs haters and Lennon lovers.

For the record: I am both a lover of Alan Stubbs and Neil Lennon.

Alan Stubbs demonstrated that he could lead us to winning a Cup.

Neil Lennon demonstrated that he could lead us to promotion and European qualification.

Both have been a success in one form or another for our club.

If the next manager can achieve what either have done then I will be a happy Hibby.

One Day Soon
29-01-2019, 09:16 PM

Neil Lennon demonstrated that he could lead us to promotion and European qualification.

If the next manager can achieve what either have done then I will be a happy Hibby.

And ideally the best of both, with a sprinkling of the incomparable Gallic flair of Mr Sauzee.

Hi Heid Yin
29-01-2019, 09:22 PM
And ideally the best of both, with a sprinkling of the incomparable Gallic flair of Mr Sauzee.

That goes without saying! :wink:

Smartie
29-01-2019, 09:34 PM

And for the record, I am a lover of neither man but I deeply respect the job both did when they were at Hibs.

Hi Heid Yin
30-01-2019, 12:08 AM
And for the record, I am a lover of neither man but I deeply respect the job both did when they were at Hibs.

Lol.

I get your drift.

we are hibs
30-01-2019, 06:16 AM

Stubbs led us to Europe too my friend :wink:

blackpoolhibs
30-01-2019, 09:48 AM
I would have no problem with him coming back until the summer, and i'm someone who thought his time was up until he won the cup.

By winning the cup, he then bought some time and credit for me, he knows the club and a lot of the players, i'm pretty sure he'd steady the ship.

Unless we are getting someone else, and the club have someone in mind, i think he might be the man we need just now.

500miles
30-01-2019, 10:28 AM
I would have no problem with him coming back until the summer, and i'm someone who thought his time was up until he won the cup.

By winning the cup, he then bought some time and credit for me, he knows the club and a lot of the players, i'm pretty sure he'd steady the ship.

Unless we are getting someone else, and the club have someone in mind, i think he might be the man we need just now.
Given how things have gone under Lennon, although we achieved a good league result, the togetherness between the players, and with the fans seems to be as much down to Stubbs as to Dempster.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
30-01-2019, 10:30 AM
No point in Stubbs coming here unless Doolan and Taff are coming also.

Perd Hapley
30-01-2019, 02:02 PM
Strachan sounding like he's less than 100% on board with getting back into management but not saying no. I feel like things have moved too slowly to have any hope of appointing someone before the deadline tomorrow but I have to wonder what's going through Scott Allan's head right now

.Sean.
30-01-2019, 02:07 PM
No point in Stubbs coming here unless Doolan and Taff are coming also.
Why?

HibeeHibernian4
30-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Why?

Not meaning to sound like I'm taking any credit away from Stubbs, but it's widely believed that they were a big, big part of his success at Hibs. Stubbs' subsequent ventures into management with Darren Jackson have backed that view up.

heretoday
30-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Stubbs won't be coming here.

Northernhibee
30-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Not meaning to sound like I'm taking any credit away from Stubbs, but it's widely believed that they were a big, big part of his success at Hibs. Stubbs' subsequent ventures into management with Darren Jackson have backed that view up.

They were a fantastic team and I would have them back, but only if it was that team of three.

HibeeHibernian4
30-01-2019, 02:31 PM

He appears to have thrown his hat in the ring, according to this anyway: https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/hibs-latest-alan-stubbs-interested-in-returning-as-head-coach-1-4864963

Last Minute
30-01-2019, 02:32 PM

Why

hibeeron
30-01-2019, 02:37 PM
Doolan was the driving force and motivator during Stubbs regime and the key to the cup win

skyhibs
30-01-2019, 02:54 PM

well thats good news

matty_f
30-01-2019, 02:58 PM
I think Stubbs did well at Hibs because of the set up at the club, I think when he has gone to clubs that don't have the support for the manager in place that we do, he's struggled.

I'd be happy to see him back, and I think he'd do very well.

It's easy to look back at his time as a binary failure/success but that doesn't come close to telling the story, IMHO.

We were a ref's decision away from progressing in the play-offs, and even then we lost out by the narrowest of margins. We went to two cup finals in one season, winning the one that mattered to us most, and got into Europe.

There was a lot more right to Stubbs' time at Hibs than there was wrong.

And he won the Scottish Cup. As in actually won it, so we had a parade and everything. The first manager of Hibernian to do it in 114 years.

That is ******* significant, IMHO.

HibeeHibernian4
30-01-2019, 03:05 PM
well thats good news

It's good news for anybody who doesn't like Hibs getting to cup finals, playing attractive football and making good signings, sure.

Smartie
30-01-2019, 03:08 PM
I think Stubbs did well at Hibs because of the set up at the club, I think when he has gone to clubs that don't have the support for the manager in place that we do, he's struggled.

It's easy to look back at his time as a binary failure/success but that doesn't come close to telling the story, IMHO.

We were a ref's decision away from progressing in the play-offs, and even then we lost out by the narrowest of margins. We went to two cup finals in one season, winning the one that mattered to us most, and got into Europe.

And he won the Scottish Cup. As in actually won it, so we had a parade and everything. The first manager of Hibernian to do it in 114 years.

It is.

It so significant that it could cloud judgment over his time at the club.

I remain convinced that even when you strip that away and look at the rest of his achievements during his time at Hibs he was a roaring success.

Some folk (who are entitled to their opinion) choose to look at the black and white cold facts such as the undeniable failed promotion bids, but that is a very dangerous approach to take to anything.

Stevie Reid
30-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Completely agree with all of that, Matty.

The need for some Hibs fans to continually try and diminish the successes in our history is really strange.

.Sean.
30-01-2019, 03:34 PM
It’s amazing the level of insight some posters on here have as to how influential Doolan and Holden were as opposed to Stubbs himself, isn’t it? Who knew we had so many posters sitting in the changing room and taking trips to East Mains when Stubbs was in charge.

headshrinker
30-01-2019, 03:53 PM
It’s all speculative as to who the next manager/coach is. However if it were Alan Stubbs, is there a possible conflict with Scott Allan? Did Stubbs not rip him in a similar fashion at Rotherham, as Lennon has done to Kamberi?

NAE NOOKIE
30-01-2019, 04:11 PM
Strachan sounding like he's less than 100% on board with getting back into management but not saying no. I feel like things have moved too slowly to have any hope of appointing someone before the deadline tomorrow but I have to wonder what's going through Scott Allan's head right now

Looking to continue his work in youth football, which he has been heavily involved in since getting the boot from Scotland. He has strongly hinted that any management job would have to allow him time to continue that work. That puts him out of the running for me, the Hibs job is many things, part time it aint.

As for Stubbs …. There is no doubt he was very popular with his players and has decent man management skills … I don't think I've ever seen a Hibs team so together and willing to fight for each other and the manager as I saw under him. Chuck in the fact that he knows the club inside out and he seems like a logical choice for a caretaker role. He became a legend for winning us the cup … imagine what sort of a legend he would be if we had won both cups that year … I still remain convinced that only his ( rash IMO ) decision to go gung ho in the last 10 minutes in the League cup final cost us that trophy … if we had taken the game to extra time I'm convinced we would have won it.

If Stubbs was to do well in the period until the end of the season then making his appointment permanent would be a no brainer for me and at that point we could look at reuniting him with John Doolan …. I don't think anybody had a clue as to Doolan's love for the club and influence on it until the cup final DVD his passion for Hibs was an eye opener, for me at least.

Lastly …. Its getting to the point where Hibs have a bit of work to do to restore their connection with the fans, which has taken a bit of a battering this season. Perhaps in the club's mind a living reminder of what in spite of all odds was a fantastic period for the club is just what's needed to restore that connection, especially considering almost all of that cup winning team are gone*. Surely even the fans who quiz the wisdom of going back to an ex manager for in most cases reasonable reasons would be willing to give him a decent run at things before turning against him.

Of the cup winning squad only Sir David Gray, McGregor, Hanlon, Boyle, Barley and Stevenson are still at Hibs, and two of them didn't even play in the final.

1van Sprou7e
30-01-2019, 04:54 PM
According to EEN he is interested in coming back...

Eaststand
30-01-2019, 05:45 PM

A very good post Matty and this is it for me too :-)

GGTTH

Betty Boop
30-01-2019, 05:52 PM
Stubbs said on Sportsound he would be interested in a return to the club. Full interview tomorrow apparently.

Jim44
30-01-2019, 06:00 PM
It’s all speculative as to who the next manager/coach is. However if it were Alan Stubbs, is there a possible conflict with Scott Allan? Did Stubbs not rip him in a similar fashion at Rotherham, as Lennon has done to Kamberi?

Firstly, it might be construed that Allan might have second thoughts about coming to Easter Road with Lennon gone. I recollect a bit of conflict between Stubbs and Allan at Rotherham. How binding is a pre-contract agreement?

w pilton hibby
30-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Stubbs said on Sportsound he would be interested in a return to the club. Full interview tomorrow apparently.

Interview on Sportsound or at Easter Road? The fans demand to know! 😁

pacoluna
30-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Before Lennon had even left?

we are hibs
30-01-2019, 06:19 PM
Before Lennon had even left?

Was from earlier today when it's been pretty obvious for 5 days hes away.

angus hibby
30-01-2019, 06:22 PM
Stubbs to me is the obvious choice. Knows the club, worked well with the board previously and was a success last time round. Our club was on its knees when he took over, and he played a massive part in bringing the feel good factor back. I actually went to games looking forward to being entertained as you knew the football was going to be good.

Excellent man management skills too which is clearly what we need just now.

Brought some very good players to the club too. It’s a no brainer for me.

matty_f
30-01-2019, 07:30 PM

Was pretty much a "come and get me" plea.

timewilltell
30-01-2019, 07:40 PM
Stubbs would be my choice.

Hi Heid Yin
30-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Stubbs led us to Europe too my friend :wink:

:aok:

FitbaFolkKen
30-01-2019, 07:45 PM
Not for me, legend for the cup but he jumped for a rubbish Rotherham job. Did a poor job at St Mirren. I may be a little cynical but after those two jobs going awry he isn’t going to get a job at nearly the same level. The Hibs job is different to any other as he achieved something phenomenal and will always be on a pedestal.

I would rather he didn’t come back, do a poor job and then take the shine off 2016.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Heid Yin
30-01-2019, 07:50 PM
Stubbsy would be warmly welcomed back by this Hibby.

He does indeed know the club, the set up, a lot of the players and, of course, Portobello and Edinburgh!

His man management skills are second to none.

Come on Leeann and Rod, get on that phone and give him the nod!

Smartie
30-01-2019, 08:00 PM
It’s amazing the level of insight some posters on here have as to how influential Doolan and Holden were as opposed to Stubbs himself, isn’t it? Who knew we had so many posters sitting in the changing room and taking trips to East Mains when Stubbs was in charge.

Yep, I'm fascinated by this too.

I think it's a simple as - when he's had them at Hibs he's been successful, when he's not had them he hasn't, therefore they must be the reason behind his success.

Whilst I'm sure they played a part, I suspect that there is far more structure in place at Hibs that suits Stubbs (and arguably although we don't know yet) that didn't suit Lennon.

I suspect that it is this rather than his backroom team.

Nemo
30-01-2019, 10:43 PM
Stubbsy for me.

Somebody to steady the ship pronto, I think he would do that.

Stubbsy’s not a daft man. I think he’ll have been just as aware as some of us that

Lennon was potentially heading out the door and has been taking wee quiet mental notes on bits and bobs re team and how to go about things. etc..

I also think we’d get a man so grateful to be given a 2nd chance with us. He’d move heaven and earth to get us going again.

As I think he has regrets about leaving us for Rotherham.

shetlandhibee
30-01-2019, 11:01 PM
absolute no brainer stubbs till end of season ,with the possibility of a 2 year deal if he does ok, after( and i know he left when he shouldnt have for whatever reason)what he did when he was here before IMHO he deserves a chance:agree: I think his appointment will be announced in the next 2 days! it will be a :thumbsup:from me if it is GGTTH

Unseen work
30-01-2019, 11:33 PM
sJust got looking at players recruited by Stubbs and how important a part they’ve played in getting us back to where we are.

Dylan McGeouch
Scott Allan
John McGinn
Liam Henderson
Martin Boyle
David Gray
Liam Fontaine
Marvin Bartley
Darren McGregor
Anthony Stokes

Without him first bringing Scotty Allan and Stokes to hibs initially, would they have returned under Lennon? We can’t be sure but I imagine there experience with us first off lead to their return.

Then you look at it compared to Lennons squad last season and all of his main men were Stubbs signings.

Yes we were a bit weak under Stubbs and Lennon was good at making us more solid and added very good goal keepers to the mix which played a big part.

Lennon brought in good players or ones that helped us.

Holt
Barker
Shinnie
Kambwri
McLaren
Bogdan
Marciano

But I think we can all agree the majority was Stubbs team.

Would Stubbs be even better for us now in the top flights? More money to spend, easier to attract players and playing against teams that want to play football.

I wasn’t particularly keen on him coming back and if he never won the Scottish Cup I’m not sure he would have been kept on, but he did win it.

He never got us promoted but Lennon did, however he done so without Hearts or Rangers in the league.

Steve-O
30-01-2019, 11:44 PM
I confess not to knowing what this was about but I now have a fair idea and wonder whether these comments are beginning to stray in to legally difficult territory?

There's always someone who says this type of thing, but in 20+ years of this forum, how many people have been sued / prosecuted over some rumour / innuendo posted on here?

Viva_Palmeiras
30-01-2019, 11:53 PM
sJust got looking at players recruited by Stubbs and how important a part they’ve played in getting us back to where we are.

Dylan McGeouch
Scott Allan
John McGinn
Liam Henderson
Martin Boyle
David Gray
Liam Fontaine
Marvin Bartley
Darren McGregor
Anthony Stokes

Without him first bringing Scotty Allan and Stokes to hibs initially, would they have returned under Lennon? We can’t be sure but I imagine there experience with us first off lead to their return.

Then you look at it compared to Lennons squad last season and all of his main men were Stubbs signings.

Yes we were a bit weak under Stubbs and Lennon was good at making us more solid and added very good goal keepers to the mix which played a big part.

Holt
Barker
Shinnie
Kambwri
McLaren
Bogdan
Marciano

Would Stubbs be even better for us now in the top flights? More money to spend, easier to attract players and playing against teams that want to play football.

I wasn’t particularly keen on him coming back and if he never won the Scottish Cup I’m not sure he would have been kept on, but he did win it.

He never got us promoted but Lennon did, however he done so without Hearts or Rangers in the league.

Cough-Ambrose-Cough

marinello59
There's always someone who says this type of thing, but in 20+ years of this forum, how many people have been sued / prosecuted over some rumour / innuendo posted on here?

There’s been plenty of warnings behind the scenes for those who take responsibility for the site.

Steve-O

Your argument is wrong then because the margin was 1 point less than Lennon in BOTH Championship seasons, and he won more Championship games

Both Hearts and Rangers had bigger budgets (not sure how of course, but they did).

HibbySpurs
30-01-2019, 11:57 PM

I didn’t say we wouldn’t have got promoted under Stubbs in the third season. What I did say was his main set target for seasons 1&2 was to obtain promotion regardless of the opposition in the league.

In that aim he failed to deliver.

He won us the cup and for that I’m forever grateful but I really don’t get that there are people on here who see him as some sort of managerial genius, if he was we would have got promoted out of the championship a damm sight sooner. Like I said, he’s had his tenure, time for something different.

Steve-O
31-01-2019, 12:11 AM
There’s been plenty of warnings behind the scenes for those who take responsibility for the site.

But has that been rooted in any ACTUAL threat of proceedings?

Billy McKirdy
31-01-2019, 12:58 AM
Stubbs is definitely worth bringing back until the end of the season, comparing him to Lenny isn’t really fair because they are different types of managers, Stubbs arguably the better man manager, Lenny added resolve and steel to the team, both recruited well and Stubbsy had an excellent back room team.
Bring him back

WeeRussell
31-01-2019, 01:12 AM
One of the main arguments for Lennon seems to be this thing about a ‘winning mentality’ and ‘steel’ to the team. Is that really as true as it’s made out, or did we tend to lose and draw just as many games that we shouldn’t have under him, as we did Stubbs?

Hi Heid Yin
31-01-2019, 03:44 AM
One of the main arguments for Lennon seems to be this thing about a ‘winning mentality’ and ‘steel’ to the team. Is that really as true as it’s made out, or did we tend to lose and draw just as many games that we shouldn’t have under him, as we did Stubbs?

The fact is that Neil Lennon took basically the same group of players and made them into a championship-winning side and then supplemented them with one or two others and had us going for that SPL runners-up slot last season only to lose out by a hairs breadth.

He gave us "resolve" "grit" and "quality football" in equal measure.

I for one am all for Stubbsy coming back and having a shot at trying to equal or better Neil Lennon's achievements of last season.

Like I said in another thread, I rate and respect both Stubbsy and Lennon. Both brought success.

Baader
31-01-2019, 03:50 AM
If it's 'til end of the season it's a no brainer for me.

Austinho
31-01-2019, 04:02 AM
I’ve seen a couple of posts on twitter around Lennon’s achievements compared to Robbie Neilson at Hearts.

Neil Lennon
1st season - Wins Championship
2nd season - Finished 4th
3rd season - Leaves in 8th
Win rate 48%

Robbie Neilson
2nd season - Finished 3rd
3rd season - Leaves in 2nd
Win rate 58%

2nd season is skewed of course because despite being 4th, Lennon achieved more points in the Prem than Neilson, and he did it with Rangers, Hearts and a far far stronger Kilmarnock in the league. Neilson however gained about 20 more points in the Championship with Rangers and Hibs to compete with, whereas Lennon didn’t. The point being that Lennon did very well for half a season, but the rest wasn’t groundshattering stuff, and probably skews the memory of how well he really did.

How Stubbs would have done in the Prem is anyone’s guess, but he achieved a similar points total to Lennon in a more difficult Championship. He was also a bawhair away from being the first none Old Firm double winner in 26 years, and probably the first ever to win the double from the lower division. That is no mean feat and would be interesting to see if he could achieve similar in the cups with a bigger budget.

As we are all too aware, going up or down in the playoffs is a bit of a lottery. It was always going to be a tough ask with Rangers romping the league. Remember they got absolutely pumped in the playoff the year before. The fixture congestion from two cup finals also played into Falkirk’s hands. I think Stubbs gets a bit of a hard time for not taking us up.

Jim44
31-01-2019, 04:20 AM
If it's 'til end of the season it's a no brainer for me.

If it’s given as a caretaker job, with a possibility of a permanent contract, I think the calibre of candidate might be limited, so if Stubbs is up for it, I would give him a chance to redeem himself.

HibbySpurs
31-01-2019, 05:16 AM
Well if it is to be Stubbs I really hope he can get Doolan to come as well, I think the past tenure shows that to get the best result we need the double act.

Also because John Doolan provides one of the best little moments in the Time for Heroes DVD. When the 3rd goal goes in there’s a shot of Stubbs punching the air and he turns round to see Dolan taking off down the touchline, Stubbs looks a little bewildered as to where his Assistant has disappeared to, of course he’s down by the corner flag on top of SDG... 🤣👍

flash
31-01-2019, 06:25 AM
Well if it is to be Stubbs I really hope he can get Doolan to come as well, I think the past tenure shows that to get the best result we need the double act.

Also because John Doolan provides one of the best little moments in the Time for Heroes DVD. When the 3rd goal goes in there’s a shot of Stubbs punching the air and he turns round to see Dolan taking off down the touchline, Stubbs looks a little bewildered as to where his Assistant has disappeared to, of course he’s down by the corner flag on top of SDG... 🤣👍

Doolan and James Keatings are the real stars of that legendary moment.

Diclonius
31-01-2019, 06:38 AM
What happened with Stubbs and Doolan? Any chance of them reconciling if he comes back?

Callum_62
31-01-2019, 06:52 AM
I’ve seen a couple of posts on twitter around Lennon’s achievements compared to Robbie Neilson at Hearts.

Neil Lennon
Win rate 48%

Robbie Neilson
Win rate 58%

2nd season is skewed of course because despite being 4th, Lennon achieved more points in the Prem than Neilson, and he did it with Rangers, Hearts and a far far stronger Kilmarnock in the league. Neilson however gained about 20 more points in the Championship with Rangers and Hibs to compete with, whereas Lennon didn’t. The point being that Lennon did very well for half a season, but the rest wasn’t groundshattering stuff, and probably skews the memory of how well he really did.

How Stubbs would have done in the Prem is anyone’s guess, but he achieved a similar points total to Lennon in a more difficult Championship. He was also a bawhair away from being the first none Old Firm double winner in 26 years, and probably the first ever to win the double from the lower division. That is no mean feat and would be interesting to see if he could achieve similar in the cups with a bigger budget.

As we are all too aware, going up or down in the playoffs is a bit of a lottery. It was always going to be a tough ask with Rangers romping the league. Remember they got absolutely pumped in the playoff the year before. The fixture congestion from two cup finals also played into Falkirk’s hands. I think Stubbs gets a bit of a hard time for not taking us up.

Neilson was doing a terrific job at Hearts - the fan for some reason hounded him out

Which followed a few years of total dross for them

Bukta#8
31-01-2019, 07:01 AM
Going back to Hibs for a second time very rarely works out (fact)

calumhibee1
31-01-2019, 07:06 AM

Neil Lennon
Win rate 48%

Robbie Neilson
Win rate 58%

Agree with all that. Stubbs done a good job when you look at the mess he inherited, the team he built on a much smaller budget than we’ve had post cup win, who he had to compete with, the amount of points he picked up in the league in both seasons and last but not least, the cups.

HFC 0-7
31-01-2019, 07:11 AM

Dylan McGeouch
Scott Allan
John McGinn
Liam Henderson
Martin Boyle
David Gray
Liam Fontaine
Marvin Bartley
Darren McGregor
Anthony Stokes

Holt
Barker
Shinnie
Kambwri
McLaren
Bogdan
Marciano

This is why I am wary of stubbs coming back in. He had such good players but struggled in the championship with that team. Cup win aside I feel he struggled to get the best out the team consistently.

teabag
31-01-2019, 07:16 AM

Sometimes it does though

https://news.images.itv.com/image/file/987717/stream_img.jpg

jeffers
31-01-2019, 07:18 AM
If it’s a choice of Stubbs ‘til the end of the season or EM & GM, then it’s Stubbs all day long. I would be a bit wary about offering him a longer term deal but don’t see what we have to lose by offering him a short term deal then we take stock again in the summer.

flash
31-01-2019, 08:34 AM
If it’s a choice of Stubbs ‘til the end of the season or EM & GM, then it’s Stubbs all day long. I would be a bit wary about offering him a longer term deal but don’t see what we have to lose by offering him a short term deal then we take stock again in the summer.

No way Eddie May will be in charge a second longer than he has to.

Callum_62
31-01-2019, 08:44 AM
I doubt stubbs would even take it until the end of the season
Is he a genuine candidate? Not sure Leann would work with him again?

blaikie
31-01-2019, 08:45 AM
I’m warming to the idea of a Stubbs returning, he had a really good relationship with the players previously and he liked to play exciting football and worked well with our structure.

Hopefully he has learned from his time at Rotherham and St. Mirren were he was more involved in management rather than the Head Coach role he had here in the first place.

I wouldn’t be disappointed.

calumhibee1
31-01-2019, 08:48 AM
I doubt stubbs would even take it until the end of the season
Is he a genuine candidate? Not sure Leann would work with him again?

He has said he’d be very interested. He didn’t say specifically he’d be interested even if it was just until the end of the season but I’d be surprised if he wasn’t.

pacoluna
31-01-2019, 08:54 AM

Neil Lennon
Win rate 48%

Robbie Neilson
Win rate 58%

Posters now qouting hearts fans twitter pages, dearie me.

RossScott1991
31-01-2019, 10:19 AM
"I'd be very interested, definitely. I've got great memories and if it is what they want, I'd like to build some more memories," the 47-year-old said.
Speaking to BBC Scotland, he added: "They only have to pick up the phone and the rest is a formality. I think everyone knows my affection for the club, my standing that I have with the fans

in the top flight last term and secured a Europa League qualifying place.
"I was as shocked as most in terms of the way it did come out," Stubbs said of Lennon's departure. "I'm disappointed for everybody involved because you want what's best for the club.

"I worked with some fantastic people there, who were very supportive to me and did everything they possibly could to help improve the team when I was there.

"I had a brilliant relationship with [chief executive] Leeann Dempster. She let me get on with the job, and when I needed things she was very, very supportive. She's the best chief executive I've worked with."

stubbsy doing his best anyway playing the right tune haha

HibeeHibernian4
31-01-2019, 03:30 PM

Pretty sure Blackpool's owner sued a fan for something they wrote on their forums.

HibeeHibernian4
31-01-2019, 03:33 PM

As two goal hero of the Scottish Cup Final Anthony Stokes will tell you. :aok:

HibeeHibernian4
31-01-2019, 03:34 PM
This is why I am wary of stubbs coming back in. He had such good players but struggled in the championship with that team. Cup win aside I feel he struggled to get the best out the team consistently.

He did very well against top flight teams though. My memory of it was that he would struggle against your Dumbartons, your Alloas and your Livingstons coming in and sitting in. In the cups, we turned over Aberdeen (who had won all 8 of their opening Premiership games), Dundee United a couple of times, St Johnstone, Hearts and Ross County up in Dingwall.

Perd Hapley
31-01-2019, 03:44 PM
He did very well against top flight teams though. My memory of it was that he would struggle against your Dumbartons, your Alloas and your Livingstons coming in and sitting in. In the cups, we turned over Aberdeen (who had won all 8 of their opening Premiership games), Dundee United a couple of times, St Johnstone, Hearts and Ross County up in Dingwall.

Not to forget Caley Thistle

HibeeHibernian4
31-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Not to forget Caley Thistle

Quite right! :aok:

southsider
31-01-2019, 04:05 PM

My thoughts exactly.

MSK
31-01-2019, 04:15 PM
Posters now qouting hearts fans twitter pages, dearie me.You are a right miserable sod arent you, constant pops at posters and the site, almost every post from you is having a ****ing dig, no-one is keeping you here or forcing you to read stuff.

Cheer up ffs

Franck Stanton
31-01-2019, 04:18 PM
Really don't know why folk keep bringing up the fact Stubbs failed to get us promotion and are using it a a stick to hit him with. Lennon managed, at the 1st attempt to get us promoted, but on closer examination of the facts, we won the league with only one more point than Stubs did the previous season. Lennon didn't have the rangers or hearts to compete with in the league, also didn't have a SC final to distract him.
Stubs, imo signings were far better than those made by Lennon. The football under Stubs was a joy to watch, really was.
I for one hope he gets the gig. Come home Stubsy - you know it makes sense.

HibeeHibernian4
31-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Just having a look in more detail at Stubbs' record against top flight sides while Hibs manager:

2014/15:
Ross County (A) W 2-0
Dundee United (H) D 3-3 (lost on penalties)

2015/16:
Aberdeen (H) W 2-0
Dundee United (H) W 3-0
St Johnstone (N) W 2-1
Hearts (A) D 2-2
Hearts (H) W 1-0
Inverness CT (H) D 1-1
Ross County (N) L 2-1
Inverness CT (A) W 2-1
Dundee United (N) D 0-0 (won on penalties)

So in total:
Played 11
Won 6
Drew 4
Lost 1

Pretty remarkable stuff, really. Am I saying we'd see an exact repeat if he came back? Of course not. But he undoubtedly had Hibs playing at a high, Premiership standard in his time with us.

pacoluna
31-01-2019, 04:28 PM
You are a right miserable sod arent you, constant pops at posters and the site, almost every post from you is having a ****ing dig, no-one is keeping you here or forcing you to read stuff.

Cheer up ffs

Some posters need to question the echo chamber. Should we be chucked out for dissent?

MSK
31-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Some posters need to question the echo chamber. Should we be chucked out for dissent?Just dont post if they or the site bothers you that much, you obviously dont like the place if you are throwing out constant digs on just about every post

Jim44
31-01-2019, 04:54 PM

My thoughts exactly.

I think you guys are being a wee bit considerate to Stubbs feelings. If we offer the job, irrespective of the calibre of candidate, as an interim post, there is no commitment on either party. Remember that Stubbs jumped ship without being pushed and he has admitted that that was a bad decision. I think to offer him the permanent post would be a bit hasty and if he is willing to come to us on our terms, game on. If it turns out unworkable, nobody loses face and we thank Stubbs for his services and continue our search at the end of the season.

Hi Heid Yin
31-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Posters now qouting hearts fans twitter pages, dearie me.

There are Hibbies out there who simply can't help themselves and feel compelled to undermine and demean Neil Lennon at every oportunity, even now that he has gone.

Why go out of your way to draw comparisons with a jambo manager?

Why not also compare Robbie Neilson's record to Stubbsy's record?

It actually stinks of vindictiveness!

It's truly pathetic.

Hi Heid Yin
31-01-2019, 05:04 PM
I think you guys are being a wee bit considerate to Stubbs feelings. If we offer the job, irrespective of the calibre of candidate, as an interim post, there is no commitment on either party. Remember that Stubbs jumped ship without being pushed and he has admitted that that was a bad decision. I think to offer him the permanent post would be a bit hasty and if he is willing to come to us on our terms, game on. If it turns out unworkable, nobody loses face and we thank Stubbs for his services and continue our search at the end of the season.

You might be right, as I really do like Stubbsy and have met and chatted with him.

Maybe he is thicker skinned than I give him credit for.

Point taken.

Perd Hapley
31-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Aye, I'd tend to think it's reasonable enough to say managing a team of our size in the Premiership is something Stubbs needs to prove himself capable of to an extent - especially if he is without the backroom staff he had previously. A contract to the end of the season would be an ideal way to sound out his suitability or lack thereof long-term while keeping the door open to alternatives. I think Stubbs knows that if he did well he'd be welcomed with open arms on a longer-term contract - I'm certainly not against it, but I'd be happier seeing him appointed until the end of the season on that basis than given a 2 1/2 year contract off the bat in current circumstances.

HibeeHibernian4
31-01-2019, 05:36 PM
There are Hibbies out there who simply can't help themselves and feel compelled to undermine and demean Neil Lennon at every oportunity, even now that he has gone.

Why go out of your way to draw comparisons with a jambo manager?

Why not also compare Robbie Neilson's record to Stubbsy's record?

It actually stinks of vindictiveness!

It's truly pathetic.

It also doesn't take into account the difficulty of the Premiership Lennon took us to 4th in compared to the relative ease of the Premiership that Neilson managed in. And the opposite is true of Neilson's Championship vs Lennon's Championship. Basically, just a crap comparison.

Oh, and Hearts fans still dislike Neilson in spite of his 'success' because he couldn't beat us. :greengrin

Hi Heid Yin
31-01-2019, 05:49 PM
It also doesn't take into account the difficulty of the Premiership Lennon took us to 4th in compared to the relative ease of the Premiership that Neilson managed in. And the opposite is true of Neilson's Championship vs Lennon's Championship. Basically, just a crap comparison.

Oh, and Hearts fans still dislike Neilson in spite of his 'success' because he couldn't beat us. :greengrin

On this we are agreed.:wink:

jacomo
31-01-2019, 07:18 PM
I’m warming to the idea of a Stubbs returning, he had a really good relationship with the players previously and he liked to play exciting football and worked well with our structure.

Hopefully he has learned from his time at Rotherham and St. Mirren were he was more involved in management rather than the Head Coach role he had here in the first place.

:agree:

JeMeSouviens
31-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Really don't know why folk keep bringing up the fact Stubbs failed to get us promotion and are using it a a stick to hit him with. Lennon managed, at the 1st attempt to get us promoted, but on closer examination of the facts, we won the league with only one more point than Stubs did the previous season. Lennon didn't have the rangers or hearts to compete with in the league, also didn't have a SC final to distract him.
Stubs, imo signings were far better than those made by Lennon. The football under Stubs was a joy to watch, really was.
I for one hope he gets the gig. Come home Stubsy - you know it makes sense.

We didn’t have the squad to handle those 2 cup runs and go toe to toe with the New Huns. We still should have got to the play off final but for truly awful refereeing. Oh and we won the cup. Some season when you think about it!

Weegreenman
31-01-2019, 07:39 PM

Im with you on this one. Wasn’t to keen to begin with but after seeing his wee video on Facebook, I’m in. Stubbsy Stubbsy :gwa:

murray26
02-02-2019, 05:50 PM
I wasn’t in favour at first but have changed my mind.. this place desperately needs a lift and let’s be honest who else better.. short term contract no lose situation surely.. one condition and it’s a big one.. don’t even think about bringing that clown Darren Jackson..

we are hibs
02-02-2019, 05:51 PM
I wasn’t in favour at first but have changed my mind.. this place desperately needs a lift and let’s be honest who else better.. short term contract no lose situation surely.. one condition and it’s a big one.. don’t even think about bringing that clown Darren Jackson..

I've actually changed my mind. Don't want Stubbs inheriting this mess. Whoever comes in has their work cut out.

One Day Soon
02-02-2019, 05:55 PM
Appoint him now, tonight if possible.

Hermit Crab
02-02-2019, 05:56 PM
No thanks to Stubbs, 3 years in the Championship on his watch, they way we are going we might be heading back there!!

murray26
02-02-2019, 05:59 PM
I've actually changed my mind. Don't want Stubbs inheriting this mess. Whoever comes in has their work cut out.

Fair point but he has openly said he wants it and the bargaining power is in our hands.. I just feel we need to do something quick before this season ends up a write off.. Saturday is huge..

Lago
02-02-2019, 06:22 PM
Fair point but he has openly said he wants it and the bargaining power is in our hands.. I just feel we need to do something quick before this season ends up a write off.. Saturday is huge..
The seasons already a write off unfortunately.

GreenNWhiteArmy
02-02-2019, 06:51 PM
If we can get our main target who we see as taking the club forward for the next couple of years now then great, make it happen

Otherwise go get Stubbs in till the end of the season. Some players need the TLC he will bring and get the players smiling again

Fwiw i think we've got a cracking, albeit imbalanced squad

Hi Heid Yin
02-02-2019, 06:57 PM
The seasons already a write off unfortunately.

I for one have not written off this season, but it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel at this "managerless" stage.

Get a manager in who can get stuck into the "negative" mind-set of this current bunch and get them "drilled and organized" and, importantly "settled" in terms of line ups and we just might have a chance of ending the season on a high by securing a top 6 place and,

yes it's a long shot I know, silverware at Hampden!

The way I see it is that we have lots of talented "individuals" running around but not a "team!"

Aberdeen demonstrated earlier how to play as a "team", with every one knowing their role and totally comfortable with their shape, their tactics and their team-mates.

roo62
02-02-2019, 06:58 PM
I for one have not written off this season, but it's hard to see any light at the end of the tunnel at this "managerless" stage.

Get a manager in who can get stuck into the "negative" mind-set of this current bunch and get them "drilled and organized" and, importantly "settled" in terms of line ups and we just might have a chance of ending the season on a high by securing a top 6 place and,

yes it's a long shot I know, silverware at Hampden!

The way I see it is that we have lots of talented "individuals" running around but not a "team!"

Aberdeen demonstrated earlier how to play as a "team", with every one knowing their role and totally comfortable with their shape, their tactics and their team-mates.
I agree also think we are desperate to get pace back into the side

Hi Heid Yin
02-02-2019, 07:15 PM
I agree also think we are desperate to get pace back into the side

I couldn't agree more regarding "pace"...or should I say "lack of it"

We have been desperately unlucky this season with injuries and losing Boyle was huge in terms of losing "pace".

bordergreen
02-02-2019, 07:49 PM
If we can get our main target who we see as taking the club forward for the next couple of years now then great, make it happen

Otherwise go get Stubbs in till the end of the season. Some players need the TLC he will bring and get the players smiling again

Fwiw i think we've got a cracking, albeit imbalanced squad

👍