PDA

View Full Version : Boy, are we fickle

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 12:10 PM
I don't post very often here but feel compelled to in the light of events occurring since Friday.
I've been supporting this club since my boyhood in the late 1960s - through good times and bad times, mostly bad times. These last two and a half years have been amongst the best times - rivalling even the Tornadoes era.
Stubbs and Lennon have brought us success and good football. I can't remember, for example, any other era in which Hibs fans looked forward to games against the Old Firm, and particularly at Ibrox, with relish and confidence.
I never liked Lennon when he was opposing us but knew, as soon as he was appointed, that he would get this club moving. He has delivered promotion and he has delivered fantastic football to the fans, and a never-say-die spirit to the team. Now, after a disappointing run - coming after losing a player of the calibre of McGinn - he is being slated by many of the fans on here. Lennon is a hothead, but we knew that from the start and he should be forgiven for his outbursts because he has sweated blood for us and brought something to the club which will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to replace.
There are those on here who think that the businesswoman LD can do no wrong - just as they once believed that RP could do no wrong. Perhaps they've forgotten that Petrie finally took a backseat only because over-tolerant Hibs fans, after years of suffering, finally realised they'd had enough and rose up to pressure him out. LD made a good decision in appointing Lennon but she shouldn't be given carte blanche because of that, or because of business decisions she has made which have aided the club.
None of us know exactly what happened last Friday but one thing is for sure. There hasn't been a worse-timed decision since the board sold O'Connor in 2006, sending us without a striker to be slaughtered by Hearts in the cup semi-final, and kick-starting the mass sell-off of the golden generation.
I watched last Sunday's match on a dodgy foreign-language stream while following the dotnet match updates. Players were being written off and their careers ended in the first half, only to be proclaimed and lauded as Messiahs after the second half. May and Grant, who were obviously embarrassed to be thrust into the role of managing the team, were suddenly being given all credit for the win. In fact credit was being handed out all round - to everyone but the guy who put this team together.
A fine balance has to be achieved between the business interests - represented by LD and RP, and the football side represented by Lennon.
We shouldn't be allowing things to swing too far towards the money men - those old enough to remember Petrie's 'biscuit box' era must recognise that.
I hope that it isn't too late to get Lennon and Parker back on board and I would urge those who appreciate what they have done for the club to continue to make their voices heard above the members conducting polls, rubbishing Lennon's name, and speculating about possible candidates to replace the irreplaceable.

lyonhibs
29-01-2019, 12:14 PM
If even half, never mind most, of what is circulating about what Lennon said to and acted towards specific players and towards LD is true, then his bridges aren't so much burned, rather incinerated, with Hibs.

Regardless of how much of a winner he is/was. No one is bigger than the club and we move on. I'm only hoping it doesn't turn into a public war of words or similar in the press as that would tarnish what were a great couple of seasons with NL at the helm.

hughio
29-01-2019, 12:15 PM
A nice sentiment Harry but he's burned his bridges.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2019, 12:15 PM
I think we are very fickle, we cant accept a bad half season, it used to be a whole season but now we want rid after a managers 1st bad spell.

We dont want to see some of the reasons why we've not been as good as previously, every reason is ignored and we just should be doing better.

No manager is given any real time to try and turn things around again, its top 4 or nothing now.

There are going to be a lot of unhappy people in the coming years.

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 12:18 PM
I think we are very fickle, we cant accept a bad half season, it used to be a whole season but now we want rid after a managers 1st bad spell.

We dont want to see some of the reasons why we've not been as good as previously, every reason is ignored and we just should be doing better.

No manager is given any real time to try and turn things around again, its top 4 or nothing now.

To an extent, I agree with this. And I will be prepared to cut the next manager slack if results do not go their way immediately. I am not about to become one of those fans who demands instant success.

For me, Lennon had to go because it was the union not only of a very, very bad spell, but a manager with his head both in the sand and/or trying to (figuratively) headbutt his own players.

Hibeewilly
29-01-2019, 12:20 PM
I don't post very often here but feel compelled to in the light of events occurring since Friday.
I've been supporting this club since my boyhood in the late 1960s - through good times and bad times, mostly bad times. These last two and a half years have been amongst the best times - rivalling even the Tornadoes era.
Stubbs and Lennon have brought us success and good football. I can't remember, for example, any other era in which Hibs fans looked forward to games against the Old Firm, and particularly at Ibrox, with relish and confidence.
I never liked Lennon when he was opposing us but knew, as soon as he was appointed, that he would get this club moving. He has delivered promotion and he has delivered fantastic football to the fans, and a never-say-die spirit to the team. Now, after a disappointing run - coming after losing a player of the calibre of McGinn - he is being slated by many of the fans on here. Lennon is a hothead, but we knew that from the start and he should be forgiven for his outbursts because he has sweated blood for us and brought something to the club which will be extremely hard, if not impossible, to replace.
There are those on here who think that the businesswoman LD can do no wrong - just as they once believed that RP could do no wrong. Perhaps they've forgotten that Petrie finally took a backseat only because over-tolerant Hibs fans, after years of suffering, finally realised they'd had enough and rose up to pressure him out. LD made a good decision in appointing Lennon but she shouldn't be given carte blanche because of that, or because of business decisions she has made which have aided the club.
None of us know exactly what happened last Friday but one thing is for sure. There hasn't been a worse-timed decision since the board sold O'Connor in 2006, sending us without a striker to be slaughtered by Hearts in the cup semi-final, and kick-starting the mass sell-off of the golden generation.
I watched last Sunday's match on a dodgy foreign-language stream while following the dotnet match updates. Players were being written off and their careers ended in the first half, only to be proclaimed and lauded as Messiahs after the second half. May and Grant, who were obviously embarrassed to be thrust into the role of managing the team, were suddenly being given all credit for the win. In fact credit was being handed out all round - to everyone but the guy who put this team together.
A fine balance has to be achieved between the business interests - represented by LD and RP, and the football side represented by Lennon.
We shouldn't be allowing things to swing too far towards the money men - those old enough to remember Petrie's 'biscuit box' era must recognise that.
I hope that it isn't too late to get Lennon and Parker back on board and I would urge those who appreciate what they have done for the club to continue to make their voices heard above the members conducting polls, rubbishing Lennon's name, and speculating about possible candidates to replace the irreplaceable.
I agree with you regarding NL.....great feeling to be travelling to Ibrox and Parkhead with him at the helm. I doubt he will be back but would love to see it sorted if possible and him back in charge:aok:

Hibeesmad
29-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Completely agree with this. The moment we go on a bit of a bad spell it’s “sack him”.

Peevemor
29-01-2019, 12:22 PM
There's a lot in the original post that is incorrect, but I do agree that some fans are too quick to turn on managers & players when things aren't going right - but it's not just at Hibs.

However, I think that many on here currently wanting Neil Lennon to go has more to do with his attitude over the past few months than the results themsleves.

The Modfather
29-01-2019, 12:23 PM

Phrases like the bit in bold don’t really help or add much balance to any debates. Lennon has been good for us but let’s not get carried away that a 4th place finish, which is an achievement, is some sort of unrepeatable feat no other mortal can ever live up to.

For me Lennon got us up in uninspiring fashion but got us up all the same, one of our most enjoyable second halves to a season last season, and got us into Europe. Did well in Europe and an abysmal league campaign this season. Overall more good than bad but looked to be out of ideas and ready for a new direction IMO.

MrSmith
29-01-2019, 12:26 PM
For me its just, here we are again ... again ... again .. again ... and so forth.

I'm not sure this is just down to NL, I honestly think there is a huge lack of ambition within the boardroom and that we will be stuck in this cycle for years to come.

29-01-2019, 12:27 PM
I agree with most of what you say except that NL should be forgiven for his outbursts.
I cannot forgive him for singling out Kamberi for public ridicule and blaming him for the team’s demise when anyone who has watched this seasons games knows there is a whole raft of reasons, all of which have already been mentioned on the forum, for the poor performances by the team. The club spent big on him and he is one of our prized assets and there is no doubt his confidence has been dented by being hung to dry by NL.

Barman Stanton
29-01-2019, 12:33 PM

Totally agree. Some of the stuff being said on here before the S*** hit the fan on Friday was unreal. Unfortunately the new manager is unlikely to get any time from those same suspects. A little bit of success has put peoples expectations through the roof.

Alan62
29-01-2019, 12:35 PM

From what we understand about the current situation, Neil Lennon isn't being removed from his post because of a bad spell of form. Everyone, fans and club, can live with that. Neil would have been given time to continue developing the club and while he will have been set targets, I'm sure nobody insisted he reach 4th or better.

As far as I can see the ONLY reason that Neil Lennon is hanging round his house this week rather than preparing for the match with Aberdeen is that his behaviour in the workplace hasn't been acceptable to Hibernian FC as an employer and, possibly, may have compromised the club's position in terms of employment law. Before anyone says 'football's different' it isn't. It's an unusual workplace but it's a workplace all the same and the law applies just as much at East Mains and Easter Road as it does in any office, factory or anywhere else.

Neil Lennon hasn't lost his way at Hibs because he's ambitious. He's lost his way because he hasn't been able to behave in professionally. That's a regrettable, sad fact which I'm sure upsets many Hibs fans (self included) but it is what it is and we have to thank him for his contribution to some great times and move on.

Johnny Clash
29-01-2019, 12:35 PM
Excellent post IngolstadtHarry - you should post more often mate. A very good summary of events and attitudes.

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 12:36 PM
Totally agree. Some of the stuff being said on here before the S*** hit the fan on Friday was unreal. Unfortunately the new manager is unlikely to get any time from those same suspects. A little bit of success has put peoples expectations through the roof.

The new manager will get plenty of time if he doesn't publicly go to war with his own players and threaten to storm out after a defeat. Hope that helps.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 12:36 PM

I agree with this.

Managers should get more time, but we live in a world where everything, including relationships, is disposable, and instant gratification is expected.

Had Friday not happened, I'd have continued arguing that NL was going to take us back up the league and that we'd be challenging at the top again, next season.

I was getting called for been unjustifiably positive and for my "blind optimism", but that's what I believed. Others thought, and still do, there was a knight in green and white shining armour somewhere who would ride in and take us to heights never experienced before, or something like that.

But of course, that's nonsense. Those same people will be calling for the new guy's head as soon as we suffer a few poor results, particularly if they include a defeat to hearts.

However, Friday did happen so we have to move on, but as usual, other people will seize the opportunity to attack the board and they should be resisted.

There's already been people opportunistically trying to attack Leeann Dempster until they were shown up on the thread.

I wish things had been different and that Neil Lennon was still here, but he managed to get himself sacked.

Whether by accident or design.

allmodcons
29-01-2019, 12:39 PM
I agree with this.

Managers should get more time, but we live in a world where everything, including relationships, is disposable, and instant gratification is expected.

Had Friday not happened, I'd have continued arguing that NL was going to take us back up the league and that we'd be challenging at the top again, next season.

I was getting called for been unjustifiably positive and for my "blind optimism", but that's what I believed. Others thought, and still do, there was a knight in green and white shining armour somewhere who would ride in and take us to heights never experienced before, or something like that.

But of course, that's nonsense. Those same people will be calling for the new guy's head as soon as we suffer a few poor results, particularly if they include a defeat to hearts.

However, Friday did happen so we have to move on, but as usual, other people will seize the opportunity to attack the board and they should be resisted.

There's already been people opportunistically trying to attack Leeann Dempster until they were shown up on the thread.

I wish things had been different and that Neil Lennon was still here, but he managed to get himself sacked.

Like.

Pretty Boy
29-01-2019, 12:40 PM
What has been forgotten in the emotional outpourings of the last few days is that while Neil Lennon has undoubtedly been good for Hibs, Hibs were also very good for Neil Lennon.

His reputation took a battering after his spell at Bolton, whatever the mitigating circumstances. Hibs provided him with a platform to showcase his talent and, contrary to some of the nonsense being posted, backed him more than any manager in our recent history. Lennon leaves Hibs in a better place but, subject to an amicable parting being agreed, he also leaves in a better place than when he joined.

Footballs essentially short term, especially at clubs like Hibs. I had no real desire to see Lennon leave now but his increasingly venomous public criticisms in recent weeks had me concerned. Ultimately Hibs will move on from NL, we'll have ups and downs, the odd cup win , good seasons and bad seasons. I daresay NL will move on from Hibs too and arguably be able to aspire to a better job than he would have been considered for prior to his time here.

Barman Stanton
29-01-2019, 12:41 PM
The new manager will get plenty of time if he doesn't publicly go to war with his own players and threaten to storm out after a defeat. Hope that helps.

Nice and patronising. What a lovely place this can be at times.

But you are wrong all the same. If we had won the last 14 games no one would be shouting for his head, regardless of storming off etc. Hope that helps.

allmodcons
29-01-2019, 12:41 PM

He won't if results are poor. A lot of our fans are quick to turn.

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 12:43 PM
Excellent post IngolstadtHarry - you should post more often mate. A very good summary of events and attitudes.

Thanks, Johnny. I was ejected from Hibs.net in a previous incarnation in 2006 for voicing my opinions about Petrie 'too boisterously'. So, since then I try to bite my tongue rather than spouting off. ;-)

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 12:44 PM
He won't if results are poor. A lot of our fans are quick to turn.

Yes, and those fans are (largely) idiots. Many of them are the ones who don't want to know when times are hard at Hibs, and come flooding back when we win a cup/get into Europe.

Smartie
29-01-2019, 12:47 PM

I do generally agree with this but not so much in Lennon's case.

I turned against Lennon last Wednesday. We were absolutely stinking and I lost faith in his ability to turn it around. If he'd been picking teams that seemed to make sense, we'd been playing ok and been unlucky or I had faith that things were going to turn around then that would be different.

That wasn't the case on Wednesday. We've looked lost for a while and we've not looked like a happy team.

Whilst I wasn't about to stick a gorilla suit on and start demonstrating I had lost faith he'd turn it around.

No team that has Flo as a lone striker and Mallan playing as a deep midfielder has any hope of staying in the Premier League long-term.

I don't think Lennon would have made the necessary change that won us the game on Sunday but that's open to debate.

We have a decent core of players for someone new to work with.

To this day the only Hibs manager I've actively wanted sacked was Miller, and that was because he'd been there too long and run out of ideas.

Others I've come to accept needed to go after the event but didn't go demanding that they be removed from their position.

highland hibbee
29-01-2019, 12:50 PM
From what we understand about the current situation, Neil Lennon isn't being removed from his post because of a bad spell of form. Everyone, fans and club, can live with that. Neil would have been given time to continue developing the club and while he will have been set targets, I'm sure nobody insisted he reach 4th or better.

As far as I can see the ONLY reason that Neil Lennon is hanging round his house this week rather than preparing for the match with Aberdeen is that his behaviour in the workplace hasn't been acceptable to Hibernian FC as an employer and, possibly, may have compromised the club's position in terms of employment law. Before anyone says 'football's different' it isn't. It's an unusual workplace but it's a workplace all the same and the law applies just as much at East Mains and Easter Road as it does in any office, factory or anywhere else.

Neil Lennon hasn't lost his way at Hibs because he's ambitious. He's lost his way because he hasn't been able to behave in professionally. That's a regrettable, sad fact which I'm sure upsets many Hibs fans (self included) but it is what it is and we have to thank him for his contribution to some great times and move on.

On the money Alan62, pretty much my feelings too.
sad that it’s come to this as we did seem to be a good match , but some of Neil’s comments regarding, Flo in particular, but also some of our other players, whilst he may have felt were correct, and at times we the fans have voiced similar thoughts, are in the modern workplace , wholly unacceptable.
Its 2019 not 1919.
Personally, I’m glad we have someone as level headed and switched on as Leanne Dempster , who understands exactly what is acceptable and what is not.
something thats not been mentioned before, as far as I’ve seen, is that Flo may have previously raised grievance(s) to the Clubs HR Department with regard to perceived workplace bullying, and the club are duty bound to act to protect their employees.

hibeerealist
29-01-2019, 12:52 PM

Good post, this place becomes rabid at times and we all need to settle down and wait on the “detail” if that ever comes out or the conclusion of this. 100% correct in that the timing is criminal but hey ho that is Hibs and yes the GO sale / timing just reminds a lot of us just what our club is capable of. Would the yams have done same if situations reversed, we all know the answer to that one.

HFC could help take the sting out things, when it is legally OK to do so, by giving clear details of how they backed the manager. IF NL thought he was not being backed as he had expected then counter that and tell us. IF the McGinn money is spread over 2/3 years and the board were only prepared to let NL spend what they have received thus far then tell us - personally I do not think he has had access to funds he thought or might have thought would be made available.

Something is is not right here, yes NL was a fiery character but let’s not crucify him until we know more as one thing I love about him is he is a winner! He has tried to spread that mentality throughout his squad and, until recently, had a degree of success doing so. IF he has been stood down because he was fighting his corner then that is no reason to decry him.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Yeah, or something else that some fans don't like. Losing to Hearts, for example.

Or failing to explain why they played certain players in certain positions.

Or if they suffer a team's worth of injuries.

Or if they're 7 points off 6th place during the January transfer window.

Hope that helps. :wink:

Sioux
29-01-2019, 12:58 PM
For me its just, here we are again ... again ... again .. again ... and so forth.

I'm not sure this is just down to NL, I honestly think there is a huge lack of ambition within the boardroom and that we will be stuck in this cycle for years to come.

Prove it!

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 01:00 PM
But you are wrong all the same. If we had won the last 14 games no one would be shouting for his head, regardless of storming off etc. Hope that helps.

Very good point.

flash
29-01-2019, 01:00 PM
Nice and patronising. What a lovely place this can be at times.

If we had won the last 14 games he wouldn't have been storming off.

Sioux
29-01-2019, 01:03 PM

There are a lot on here that don't accept a bad spell, in fact losing a game is almost a sackable offence on its own, especially when its hertz.

The Modfather
29-01-2019, 01:04 PM
It was someone else that made the point but you’re more likely to remember the posts you disagree with. From what I can see those that wanted Lennon sacked immediately over the last few months were in the minority. With most people willing to either give him to the end of the season or acknowledging he has earned more time to turn things round but that window was getting smaller as the rut continued.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 01:06 PM
IF NL thought he was not being backed as he had expected then counter that and tell us. IF the McGinn money is spread over 2/3 years and the board were only prepared to let NL spend what they have received thus far then tell us - personally I do not think he has had access to funds he thought or might have thought would be made available.

Personally, I believed NL when he said that he'd been fully backed, that the board had been good to him, and that we were in the fortunate position to be able to offer good money to attract quality players.

Personally, I also believe that Hibs had gone into debt to back Neil Lennon, paying transfer fees and high salaries.

Hibeesmad
29-01-2019, 01:18 PM
Personally, I believed NL when he said that he'd been fully backed, that the board had been good to him, and that we were in the fortunate position to be able to offer good money to attract quality players.

Personally, I also believe that Hibs had gone into debt to back Neil Lennon, paying transfer fees and high salaries.

We won the Championship.
We finished 4th in the Premiership.
We got to a Scottish Cup and League Cup semi final.
We played 8 games in Europe.
We broke season ticket records in over a decade.
We sold Cummings.
We sold McGinn.
We sold Murray.
McGeough and Ambrose have left.

We signed Kamberi.
We signed Horgan.
We signed Mallan.
We signed Marciano.

We are doing alright

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 01:20 PM
Yeah, or something else that some fans don't like. Losing to Hearts, for example.

Or failing to explain why they played certain players in certain positions.

Or if they suffer a team's worth of injuries.

Or if they're 7 points off 6th place during the January transfer window.

Hope that helps. :wink:

On this one, I am in complete agreement with you. The importance that some Hibs fans I know in real life place on the derby is nothing short of pathetic. You'd think we only have 4 games that matter every season.

scotia44
29-01-2019, 01:21 PM

:not worth:top marks
Only 2 people to blame for the situation Lennon & Parker the stick works for so long before the animal will turn on you.
No such culture should be accepted

The 90+2
29-01-2019, 01:28 PM
On this one, I am in complete agreement with you. The importance that some Hibs fans I know in real life place on the derby is nothing short of pathetic. You'd think we only have 4 games that matter every season.

Yet nobody at all called for Lennon's head based on derby's bearing in mind we've won 1 in 5. :confused:

Hibeesmad
29-01-2019, 01:30 PM
Yet nobody at all called for Lennon's head based on derby's bearing in mind we've won 1 in 5. :confused:

Was probably oversaw by the fact we finished above them. Our performances this season against them however have been woeful

Steve20
29-01-2019, 01:32 PM

It's not the only ones that matter, but there seems to be people nowadays who like to make a point that it's like other games. Well, it's not. The games against are, and always will be, the most important ones for us. And vice versa. You might want to hide behind the "the derby is just 4 games", but that's only the dross that gets trotted out after we lose one.

Lennon's record against Hearts was slipping, but then so was his record against all the other teams, bar Celtic.

The 90+2
29-01-2019, 01:33 PM
Was probably oversaw by the fact we finished above them. Our performances this season against them however have been woeful

Probably aye but even when he came out and threatened to quit last season after a dreadful loss everyone still backed him.
This season's have been brutal like you said but that was overlooked again so I'm not sure fans call for managers heads based on losing a derby match.

Mowbray for example lost very heavily to Hearts on numerous occasions yet everyone would have been gutted when he left for WBA.

One Day Soon
29-01-2019, 01:38 PM
I agree with this.

Also like.

Barman Stanton
29-01-2019, 01:51 PM
If we had won the last 14 games he wouldn't have been storming off.

Ok, if he had won the other 13 games and got beaten by Hearts (including storming off after) then no one would be calling for his head. Better? :confused:

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 01:54 PM
It's not the only ones that matter, but there seems to be people nowadays who like to make a point that it's like other games. Well, it's not. The games against are, and always will be, the most important ones for us. And vice versa. You might want to hide behind the "the derby is just 4 games", but that's only the dross that gets trotted out after we lose one.

Lennon's record against Hearts was slipping, but then so was his record against all the other teams, bar Celtic.

No, my view on the derby is exactly the same irrespective of the result. They aren't "just 4 games", they obviously carry more significance than games against Accies etc. do, but the way that some people work themselves up over them is bordering on tragic.

Bangkok Hibby
29-01-2019, 01:56 PM
:not worth:top marks
Only 2 people to blame for the situation Lennon & Parker the stick works for so long before the animal will turn on you.
No such culture should be accepted

This all day long. They haven't gone due to a bad run of results. They've gone because the team couldn't take any more abuse. And if he's had a go at LD as well he's goosed. He lost me when he was asked about Parker having a go at Flo. The childish grin in response spoke volumes.

MrSmith
29-01-2019, 02:03 PM
Prove it!

In which way?

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2019, 02:12 PM
Have a look at the hysterical thread when we played the away game against that Icelandic lot, on the back of a 4th place finish and a season that most people would say was a good to excellent one.

Hysterical is the only way anyone could describe it, and when we lost to hearts, that was another tremendous thread.

Lennon may be in the wrong here, it certainly looks that way to me, but the hysteria after any defeat but that game i mentioned stuck in my mind because of the proximity of last seasons successes showed me just how fickle some of our fans are, and the transfer window was still open.:faf:

Lester B
29-01-2019, 02:13 PM

Nail on the head. You talk a lot of sense sir, as well as being a rather fine guitar player:wink:

The 90+2
29-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Have a look at the hysterical thread when we played the away game against that Icelandic lot, on the back of a 4th place finish and a season that most people would say was a good to excellent one.

Hysterical is the only way anyone could describe it, and when we lost to hearts, that was another tremendous thread.

Lennon may be in the wrong here, it certainly looks that way to me, but the hysteria after any defeat but that game i mentioned stuck in my mind because of the proximity of last seasons successes showed me just how fickle some of our fans are, and the transfer window was still open.:faf:

Yet nobody said anything when we lost in Derby’s in the cup or league and nobody wanted him out then?

One Day Soon
29-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Absolutely true. And you just know that the same characters will be like ferrets up a pipe as soon as the first opportunity arises with whoever the new manager is.

jacomo
29-01-2019, 02:26 PM

We went through this before Christmas. Undoubtedly there was a very vocal minority who wanted Lennon gone then, but they were proved to be only a minority. Most of us proved able to see the bigger picture, and enjoy a dry night even after a disappointing result.

I object to being described as fickle based on a minority opinion.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Yet nobody said anything when we lost in Derby’s in the cup or league and nobody wanted him out then?

I never mentioned anything about anyone wanting him out, i mentioned how hysterical the reactions were to these games?

And when you are that hysterical when we are playing badly or lose a game, why is it that when we win, there's not quite the same enthusiasm?

My own opinion on that is some folk would rather be miserable.

One Day Soon
29-01-2019, 02:28 PM
We went through this before Christmas. Undoubtedly there was a very vocal minority who wanted Lennon gone then, but they were proved to be only a minority. Most of us proved able to see the bigger picture, and enjoy a dry night even after a disappointing result.

I object to being described as fickle based on a minority opinion.

I think that's fair. It's the vocal (tiny) minority I have in mind which i'm guessing BH is also referring to but he can speak for himself.

Alan62
29-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Nail on the head. You talk a lot of sense sir, as well as being a rather fine guitar player:wink:

Haha. I wish my guitar playing was fine rather than just adequate. As for talking sense, in the Kingdom of the Blind and all that ...:na na:

we are hibs
29-01-2019, 02:33 PM
I think that's fair. It's the vocal (tiny) minority I have in mind which i'm guessing BH is also referring to but he can speak for himself.

Are you going to name names or keep posting the same old boring posts? All you ever seem do to on here along with the other poster you mention is have digs at posters without having the balls to name them. It's rather embarrassing in all honesty.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Are you going to name names or keep posting the same old boring posts? All you ever seem do to on here along with the other poster you mention is have digs at posters without having the balls to name them. It's rather embarrassing in all honesty.

Naming names isn't allowed.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2019, 02:40 PM

You are not allowed to name people on here, go have a look at that thread when we played that Icelandic side away, and remember this game was last summer on the 19th of July a full 6 weeks before the transfer window ends, and only around 6 weeks after our best finish in years.

Read that thread and all the names are there, and it tells you all thats wrong with some fans of our club, did you know they can actually see into the future too. :faf:

Lester B
29-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Haha. I wish my guitar playing was fine rather than just adequate. As for talking sense, in the Kingdom of the Blind and all that ...:na na:

:aok:

hughio
29-01-2019, 03:00 PM
:aok:

In the Kingdom of the Fickle even a one-eyed guitar player talking reasonable sense sounds like a guru.

theonlywayisup
29-01-2019, 03:12 PM

Yes, I agree with much of what you said.

Like you, I've seen many a poor and rubbish Hibs team. It's not uncommon for Hibs to finish a season as 7th, 8th etc in league and get gubbed by the Old Firm - we've seen enough of these. Last season, we were a match for the best team in Scotland and were so close to finishing 2nd but ultimately 'failed' and finished 4th. It was a remarkable end to the season.

I wish Neil Lennon nothing but the best for the future. I did not like him before he joined Hibs, but he grew on me.

oldbutdim
29-01-2019, 03:15 PM
You are not allowed to name people on here, go have a look at that thread when we played that Icelandic side away, and remember this game was last summer on the 19th of July a full 6 weeks before the transfer window ends, and only around 6 weeks after our best finish in years.

Read that thread and all the names are there, and it tells you all thats wrong with some fans of our club, did you know they can actually see into the future too. :faf:

Is that the Icelandic side in the Faroe Islands?

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 03:21 PM

:tee hee:

HappyAsHellas
29-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Like the OP and I guess quite a few others on here I have also been watching Hibs since the late sixties, many troughs and not so many peaks about sums it up. I was not over the moon when Lennon signed as I couldn't stand him as a player or manager at Celtic. However my viewpoint changed and I came to like the man and what he was doing at our club. That changed after the derby at Tynie and he has done little to restore my faith since then. Without all the guff that that has been flying around these last few days it was inevitable his time was up. A culmination of maybe small things that we tend to overlook, but taken as a whole it could only ever end the way it has. Sad, but I wish him all the best although I'm quite glad this has happened as I feel we were being dragged down by the man himself. The board in this instance to me are entirely innocent, having backed him over the course of his tenure and anyone pointing the finger at them should have another think about it.

Bangkok Hibby
29-01-2019, 03:39 PM
Like the OP and I guess quite a few others on here I have also been watching Hibs since the late sixties, many troughs and not so many peaks about sums it up. I was not over the moon when Lennon signed as I couldn't stand him as a player or manager at Celtic. However my viewpoint changed and I came to like the man and what he was doing at our club. That changed after the derby at Tynie and he has done little to restore my faith since then. Without all the guff that that has been flying around these last few days it was inevitable his time was up. A culmination of maybe small things that we tend to overlook, but taken as a whole it could only ever end the way it has. Sad, but I wish him all the best although I'm quite glad this has happened as I feel we were being dragged down by the man himself. The board in this instance to me are entirely innocent, having backed him over the course of his tenure and anyone pointing the finger at them should have another think about it.

Could have written that word for word myself 👍🏻

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2019, 03:44 PM

:tee hee:

:greengrin Thats the one's.

Bostonhibby
29-01-2019, 04:02 PM
What has been forgotten in the emotional outpourings of the last few days is that while Neil Lennon has undoubtedly been good for Hibs, Hibs were also very good for Neil Lennon.

His reputation took a battering after his spell at Bolton, whatever the mitigating circumstances. Hibs provided him with a platform to showcase his talent and, contrary to some of the nonsense being posted, backed him more than any manager in our recent history. Lennon leaves Hibs in a better place but, subject to an amicable parting being agreed, he also leaves in a better place than when he joined.

Footballs essentially short term, especially at clubs like Hibs. I had no real desire to see Lennon leave now but his increasingly venomous public criticisms in recent weeks had me concerned. Ultimately Hibs will move on from NL, we'll have ups and downs, the odd cup win , good seasons and bad seasons. I daresay NL will move on from Hibs too and arguably be able to aspire to a better job than he would have been considered for prior to his time here.A lot of what I think about this has changed as stories, corroborated or otherwise emerge, so out of respect for what I think the man brought to us, and my greater love for Hibs I want to stay away from this one now until the matters resolved but at the stage we are at this post says it all for me.[emoji106]

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

allezsauzee
29-01-2019, 05:45 PM

Completely agree. Lenny is a winner who would be raging if he lost a game of tiddlywinks and lets everyone know about it. This is the sort of manager i've wanted at our club for years. If you take a look at how few games we've lost under him compared to other managers, I think that reflects the mindset he's brought to the club.. We went almost a whole year without losing a league game at home. I can't remember that ever happening in my time supporting the club.

The 90+2
29-01-2019, 05:50 PM

The peformance that night was like Motherwell on Weds. We hit Europe under prepared just like we have been unprepared all season.

Viva_Palmeiras
29-01-2019, 06:09 PM
Completely agree with this. The moment we go on a bit of a bad spell it’s “sack him”.

But it’s a right laugh isn’t it?

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 06:13 PM
Completely agree. Lenny is a winner who would be raging if he lost a game of tiddlywinks and lets everyone know about it. This is the sort of manager i've wanted at our club for years. If you take a look at how few games we've lost under him compared to other managers, I think that reflects the mindset he's brought to the club.. We went almost a whole year without losing a league game at home. I can't remember that ever happening in my time supporting the club.

That's right, and the odd blow-up and hissy-fit is a small price to pay for a guy who isn't content to go to Glasgow and settle for a draw.
Unless something absolutely catastrophic happened last Friday, Lennon should have been told to go home, cool off and come in to work next day.
I'm only speculating but I can't believe that this couldn't have been resolved with a quiet talk once things had settled down.
I think a lot of people have forgotten how things were in the era before Stubbs and Lennon.
We might have to get used to mediocrity and revolving door managers again.

emerald green
29-01-2019, 06:15 PM

I think getting Lennon and Parker back in charge now, after what has happened, is a non starter. That ship has sailed.

Nobody at Hibs is irreplaceable.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 06:19 PM
That's right, and the odd blow-up and hissy-fit is a small price to pay for a guy who isn't content to go to Glasgow and settle for a draw.
Unless something absolutely catastrophic happened last Friday, Lennon should have been told to go home, cool off and come in to work next day.
I'm only speculating but I can't believe that this couldn't have been resolved with a quiet talk once things had settled down.
I think a lot of people have forgotten how things were in the era before Stubbs and Lennon.

Do you think our CEO wouldn't have dealt with it in the manner you suggest, if it had been appropriate?

He's had several hissy-fits and been brought back into the fold each time.

Like you, I don't know what happened on Friday, but my speculation leads me to believe that it was a serious breach of discipline.

calumhibee1
29-01-2019, 06:26 PM

If it was a small enough issue that it could have been resolved with a quiet talk then it probably would have been.

Maybe this isn’t the first time and Hibs have decided the quiet talk approach doesn’t work? I’d be surprised if Hibs hadn’t spoken to him after the Morton fight with Duffy, Ibrox away with the ear cupping, Tynie away twice with the threats to leave and celebrating in front of the Hearts fans, maybe even the aeroplane. As much as we as fans enjoyed it all it’s probably something Hibs would feel they could do without to an extent.

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 06:39 PM
Do you think our CEO wouldn't have dealt with it in the manner you suggest, if it had been appropriate?

He's had several hissy-fits and been brought back into the fold each time.

Like you, I don't know what happened on Friday, but my speculation leads me to believe that it was a serious breach of discipline.

According to reports, Petrie was out of the country when it happened.
If we're lucky, there will be a slow drip of information eventually reaching the fans - probably similar to the Collins incident.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 06:48 PM

I was asking about our CEO.

HappyAsHellas
29-01-2019, 06:49 PM
If we're lucky, there will be a slow drip of information eventually reaching the fans - probably similar to the Collins incident.

From constructive opening post to drivel in less than 2 pages - impressive!

Fergos
29-01-2019, 07:04 PM
I like NL and he delivered 2 good seasons. Would have much preferred him to at least the end of the season to get us going again.

Whatever has happened and none of us know and may never know, I dont think he has been suspended on a whim or that its anything to do with results. And now that it looks like he is a goner, you look at his record especially in the team building area and it suggests its the right thing for all parties. He was backed by the board but couldnt replace a team that the same recruitment department supported Stubbsy in doing.

I also back the board fully, Hibs come first and I dont believe for a second that LD would act in haste or unfairly.

Keep the Hibee faith Folks, GGTTH.

Fergos
29-01-2019, 07:06 PM

True on the Glasgow games mate, and it was great to see, what about tyniecastle though?

GGTTH

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 07:10 PM

Don't know many 'winners' who have their side in 8th with a budget worthy of 4th/5th place. Strange.

hibeerealist
29-01-2019, 07:11 PM

MY GOD, what sense why did somebody else not think of that???!!!

There is more to this than meets the eye sorry but I cannot get that out of my gut feeling!!

another great post though IH .........GGTTH

Deansy
29-01-2019, 07:17 PM

Good post, I particuarly agree re the 'Business interests' - lately I've been getting the feeling that Petrie's 'Business 1st - Football 2nd' ethos is back, that's if it ever went away !

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 07:22 PM
From constructive opening post to drivel in less than 2 pages - impressive!

Now, now laddie - no need to start throwing insults around.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 09:02 PM

You still haven't answered my question.

You remember, the one about our CEO doing the appropriate thing.

blackpoolhibs
29-01-2019, 09:18 PM
The peformance that night was like Motherwell on Weds. We hit Europe under prepared just like we have been unprepared all season.

We were 6-1 up from the first leg and were put out by a decent side, how much better prepared could we have been, its very easy to say we'd win these games if we'd had everyone in by the time we played Molde?

The team have underperformed more than once, but again our injury crisis is ignored, thats a completely different argument, yet even when looking at our injuries, we've still put out decent sides, its just we've had to play players who some fans have completely written off and wont have them in the team at all, no matter how they play.

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 09:50 PM
You still haven't answered my question.

You remember, the one about our CEO doing the appropriate thing.

That's because I regarded it as a blurt and not as a question worth answering. This probably sticks in your craw, friend, but it is obvious that Petrie is still driving the car - despite ostensibly taking a back seat. Lennon wasn't sacked on the spot but, rather, suspended pending an inquiry. Petrie is the one handling the inquiry and he is the one who will, no doubt, take the final decision, although this will probably be couched in terms of 'the board unanimously but regretfully reached the decision..........'

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 09:56 PM
That's because I regarded it as a blurt and not as a question worth answering. This probably sticks in your craw, friend, but it is obvious that Petrie is still driving the car - despite ostensibly taking a back seat. Lennon wasn't sacked on the spot but, rather, suspended pending an inquiry. Petrie is the one handling the inquiry and he is the one who will, no doubt, take the final decision, although this will probably be couched in terms of 'the board unanimously but regretfully reached the decision..........'

Is that a FACT or a biased opinion?

oldbutdim
29-01-2019, 09:59 PM

Why would the Chairman NOT lead on the investigation?

:confused:

One Day Soon
29-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Is that a FACT or a biased opinion?

I have a grim feeling that the passing of Neil Lennon is going to lead to a major resurrection of the tache haters...

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 10:06 PM
Why would the Chairman NOT lead on the investigation?

:confused:

Who was disputing that he should? Try to calm down and follow the debate.

HappyAsHellas
29-01-2019, 10:11 PM

It's not an insult, (although referring to a man in his sixties as laddie most certainly is) rather a considered response. LD is the CEO, not Petrie, or are you still in the Pia camp about the car park money? The constant slating of Petrie which is so far removed from reality is utterly beyond comprehension. If you really believe that he's the one pulling the strings then who is it that employed him? If you really must take issue with someone then why not the organ grinder as opposed to the monkey?
As I said, your opening post contained valid points but as soon as the Petrie stuff comes out then you've just blown your cover. IMHO

weecounty hibby
29-01-2019, 10:24 PM
I have a grim feeling that the passing of Neil Lennon is going to lead to a major resurrection of the tache haters...

It has already started. Some who already do it on a regular basis and now folk popping up out of nowhere to do it. I have taken no sides in this situation. I have said I'm sorry to see Lennon leave but have also said that if some of what's been rumoured is true then the club have no option. I also think the board have backed him. Would I like more, of course I would like every other Hibby. But we also need to be realistic as well that we shouldn't, and rightly so, overspend to the point where we were at the end of the 80s and then again at the end of the 90s beginning of the 00s. We were close to going tits up in the early 90s and we matches McLieshes ambitions and signed Le God etc and has us somewhere close to £12m I'm debt. Neil should have been getting better out of this team, his team. Injuries haven't helped but neither did the constant changing of personnel and positions unnecessarily.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 10:34 PM
Who was disputing that he should? Try to calm down and follow the debate.

It would help the "debate" if you answered the questions being put to you.

Your refusal to do so tells its own story, so debate is extraneous.

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 10:43 PM
It would help the "debate" if you answered the questions being put to you.

Your refusal to do so tells its own story, so debate is extraneous.

Your tenuous grasp of logic renders any answers which might be put to you superfluous.

The 90+2
29-01-2019, 10:43 PM

Hope not. Petrie like him or lump him always has the clubs best interest at heart.

Like many have said before, I support Hibernian FC and not Lennon FC.

To set the record straight I have huge admiration for Neil Lennon as a person and as what he’s done as a manager and he is fantastic as a pundit when speaking - calm considerate and articulate - he had a great spell as manager with us and I’m grateful for that. My problem is was and disagree and say I’m sticking the boot into the club etc etc which I’ve never done is like Colin Calderwood I’ve had the feeling he’s not wanted to be manager of our great club based on whatever since the end of last season and went through the motions but still ripped the players. Took no responsibility for much that was wrong and the passion had gone or do it seemed.

Another thing that stuck in my craw which I didn’t moan about to mates was his appearances at Celtic functions, Irish telly for their Celtic champions league matches and consistently answering questions on Celtic. You think as Celtic manager he would be answering questions on Leicester or Forest? No danger he would tell them he was Celtic manager and to bolt. All that though didn’t really bother me because he was successful. Looking back it was disrespectful.

I wish Neil Lennon all the best he done his job brilliant for two years and we had many special results under him. Good luck Lennon. But onwards and upwards for our club under a fantastic ceo and a chairman with us at heart and not any other club.

Fergos
29-01-2019, 11:02 PM

LD cannot conduct the final enquiry / decision as it would seem, and I don’t know for sure just what has been stated elsewhere, that she was involved at the incident stage and so will be required to give her version of events as evidence.

GGTTH

IngolstadtHarry
29-01-2019, 11:29 PM
LD cannot conduct the final enquiry / decision as it would seem, and I don’t know for sure just what has been stated elsewhere, that she was involved at the incident stage and so will be required to give her version of events as evidence.

GGTTH

Yes, that's what I gathered from various reports too. LD and Lennon will state their cases, the players and coaching staff will give their input and Petrie will chair the process.
It sounds like it will extend beyond the end of the transfer window.

GreenT
30-01-2019, 11:52 AM

Hit the nail on the head.

IngolstadtHarry
30-01-2019, 11:56 AM
There are a lot on here that don't accept a bad spell, in fact losing a game is almost a sackable offence on its own, especially when its hertz.
:top marks