PDA

View Full Version : Excellent piece by Danny Galbraith

Peevemor
29-01-2019, 10:00 AM
He was working at Hibs for a while so will have a good insight.

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/danny-galbraith-neil-lennon-backed-15746335

The 90+2
29-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Was about to post the same. Very good read and agree totally.

Gloucester Hibs
29-01-2019, 10:05 AM
Very good read and agree with his take on things

MyJo
29-01-2019, 10:08 AM
Very good point about his relationship with SDG and how he might have seen Gray's status within the club and supporters as undermining his authority as the main man, hence he was sparingly used despite his talismanic like influence on the team this season when he has played.

makaveli1875
29-01-2019, 10:11 AM
Just read it myself . SDG v Lenny - only gong to be 1 winner .

GloryGlory
29-01-2019, 10:13 AM

https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/sport/football/danny-galbraith-neil-lennon-backed-15746335

Can't disagree with any of that.

No-one is bigger than the club.

.Sean.
29-01-2019, 10:14 AM
I said that exact same thing on the private forum last week, that there would only ever be one winner between the two of them - and it was never going to be Lennon.

calumhibee1
29-01-2019, 10:16 AM
I said that exact same thing on the private forum last week, that there would only ever be one winner between the two of them - and it was never going to be Lennon.

:agree:

Kojock
29-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Danny sums it up perfectly IMO. The cracks were beginning to appear months ago. He slated Dylan McGeouch for the same thing. There is no doubt Lennon is a divisive character you only need to read this message board to see that.

Hibeesmad
29-01-2019, 10:45 AM
Very good article 👍

Forza Fred
29-01-2019, 10:46 AM
Excellent piece by Danny.

Sorry to see Lennie go, but agree it was inevitable.

He will have trouble managing at a club who do not have the resources of the Old Firm.

In many ways managing a Hibs is more difficult than managing Celtic, as there are limited finances, and the club can’t simply go to the bank and buy top of the range players whenever the manager needs to make changes.

MB62
29-01-2019, 10:49 AM

Lennie had, what I thought, was a bit of a dag at SDG earlier in the season.
Commenting about injuries at the club in general but said, 'SDG, comes in one game, scores a goal, then goes out injured for a few games' .
I got the impression he was questioning injured players commitment, don't know if he had a case to ask the question, or if it was just said through frustration.

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 11:15 AM
Very good article. Puts some of Scotland's more 'respected' journalists to shame.

Jim44
29-01-2019, 11:35 AM
Good article and in direct contrast to Brendan Rodger’s take on thins in the Scotsman. According to him, Hibs are at fault, don’t appreciate how great a manager he is with his passion and desire to win and that we might live to regret getting rid of Lennon. Not an unexpected line to take amid the obvious Celtic minded cronyism.

Peevemor
29-01-2019, 11:49 AM
Good article and in direct contrast to Brendan Rodger’s take on thins in the Scotsman. According to him, Hibs are at fault, don’t appreciate how great a manager he is with his passion and desire to win and that we might live to regret getting rid of Lennon. Not an unexpected line to take amid the obvious Celtic minded cronyism.

To be fair, I just read the Rodgers thing and he's pretty compimentary about Hibs.

“What he has done for that club has been amazing. If it ends, as it looks like it might, then it is a real sad end to what was a great partnership."

“If they do end up going their separate ways then it’s an unbelievably sad situation for both because he is an outstanding manager and Hibs are a fantastic club."

He's offering a manager's point of view, which is fair enough.

matty_f
29-01-2019, 12:00 PM
That was a good read, and a view that I tend to agree with. I don't know what happened with Lennon - I maintain that he's a good manager and had it been down to me (without the knowledge of what went down at East Mains last week), I'd have happily given him until the end of the season to turn things around.

The questions around the club matching Lennon's ambitions are (IMHO) unjustified. I think people equate ambition with spend, which isn't that unreasonable, but Lennon has to have known that Hibs can only spend what we have - and he spent a lot, certainly in comparison with previous managers. On top of that, Lennon himself wasn't cheap - the very fact that we had him in charge is clear and irrefutable evidence of the club's ambitions.

Being ambitious isn't all about spend though, Hibs are set up to be ambitious for the long term - to perform better than our budget places us. We achieved that last season, finishing a place higher than our spend placed us.

There's actually a better argument this season that Lennon didn't match the board's ambitions. Lennon's side has been assembled at a far higher cost than Livingston, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone, and so to be sitting eighth and looking at a top six place as almost being out of reach, then Lennon would have to have a brass neck to lay the blame for that at the board's feet.

monarch
29-01-2019, 12:11 PM
Commenting about injuries at the club in general but said, 'SDG, comes in one game, scores a goal, then goes out injured for a few games' .
I got the impression he was questioning injured players commitment, don't know if he had a case to ask the question, or if it was just said through frustration.

Lennon made the same comments at the AGM when asked if SDG was to be offered a new contract at the end of the season. His body language and demeanour suggested that he wasn’t a fan.

neil7908
29-01-2019, 12:16 PM
I prefer Keith Jacksons informative and nuanced take on the matter myself. He shows such journalist knowledge and... sorry I'm feeling sick now, even for a joke I don't think I can keep going.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 12:31 PM
There's actually a better argument this season that Lennon didn't match the board's ambitions. Lennon's side has been assembled at a far higher cost than Livingston, Kilmarnock and St Johnstone, and so to be sitting eighth and looking at a top six place as almost being out of reach, then Lennon would have to have a brass neck to lay the blame for that at the board's feet.

Boom!

And there it is.

Post of the season. :applause:

greenginger
29-01-2019, 12:41 PM

Any mention or justification in the article of why Celtic binned Lennon a few years ago ?

Thought not .

Jim44
29-01-2019, 12:42 PM

Who’s to say that any lack of commitment by hiding behind injuries was not rooted in Lennon’s man-management? Having said that, I’m aware that in a few recent posts I’m coming across as anti Lennon. That’s not the case as I wüld have liked to have seen him see out the rest of the season. That aside, I can’t help feeling that whatever has caused this crisis is very serious and my natural instinct is to give benefits of doubt to the people running the club. I don’t approve of some of the media attempts to cast doubt and fault on the club in it’s handling of the problem.

HibeeHibernian4
29-01-2019, 12:54 PM

Bang on the money, there.

Nakedmanoncrack
29-01-2019, 01:09 PM
That was a good read, and a view that I tend to agree with. I don't know what happened with Lennon - I maintain that he's a good manager and had it been down to me (without the knowledge of what went down at East Mains last week), I'd have happily given him until the end of the season to turn things around.

The questions around the club matching Lennon's ambitions are (IMHO) unjustified. I think people equate ambition with spend, which isn't that unreasonable, but Lennon has to have known that Hibs can only spend what we have - and he spent a lot, certainly in comparison with previous managers. On top of that, Lennon himself wasn't cheap - the very fact that we had him in charge is clear and irrefutable evidence of the club's ambitions.

Being ambitious isn't all about spend though, Hibs are set up to be ambitious for the long term - to perform better than our budget places us. We achieved that last season, finishing a place higher than our spend placed us.

Can't disagree with any of that.

euro Hibby
29-01-2019, 01:14 PM
I am a fan of Lennon as well but as it appears now , after days of guessing, it looks like he has bitten the hand that feeds him, offended too often his players and in the stark light of league position versus smaller teams with less budget,

the marriage has come to an abrupt end. Sad because, I think it could have been avoided with a minimum of wisdom. Jose went , now Neil has gone too so showing nobody is bigger than the club. Looking forward to getting the real

story. Sad also because, he was good for the club , but the feeling is he had reached his sell by date !

One Day Soon
29-01-2019, 01:23 PM

Except we'll never know now because we won't get to measure him over a full season this time. It could have carried on and tanked horribly or he might have had Gauld, Allan and an extra striker and turned it all around.

SonOfDavidFrancey
29-01-2019, 01:25 PM

As the season has gone on he has sounded more and more like a man incapable of taking the blame even temporarily/ tactically - if not the strikers then the snowflakes are to blame etc - and Parker is not a foil but speaks with his masters voice it has seemed.

KWJ
29-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Yup, enjoyed that completely agree with his assessment and fair play to Danny for speaking out with that viewpoint when he's relatively new into the media game and it'd have been easy to not rock the boat.

matty_f
29-01-2019, 01:35 PM
Except we'll never know now because we won't get to measure him over a full season this time. It could have carried on and tanked horribly or he might have had Gauld, Allan and an extra striker and turned it all around.

This is true. I'd have given him the rest of the season but that was based on having no knowledge of the apparent behind the scenes issues.

Baader
29-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Good read that and probably about spot on, much as I like Lennon and prefer he'd stayed on the problems seemed too deep seated.

Had heard a few rumours he did not get on with Sir David before. But you hear all sort of things.

MyJo
29-01-2019, 01:45 PM

Lennon would probably have been allowed to see out the season and try and turn it around had he any semblance of self-control and not done whatever it was during his meeting with Dempster that has led her to suspend and ultimately get rid of him.

Poor discipline and blaming everyone else for his faults have been his downfall.

jacomo
29-01-2019, 01:51 PM

BR is a bell end.

WhileTheChief..
29-01-2019, 01:52 PM
Ambition doesn’t mean spending money.

Lennon was unhappy we didn’t finish 2nd last season whereas all our other managers have been happy to hit the top 6.

That is ambition right there.

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-01-2019, 01:57 PM
Danny is good friends with a few of our players still. He’ll have a good idea of what’s been going on I’d imagine

WeeRussell
29-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Danny is good friends with a few of our players still. He’ll have a good idea of what’s been going on I’d imagine

One of them being David Gray...

hibs#1
29-01-2019, 06:49 PM

Talks a lot of sense and makes some good points.

Billy Whizz
29-01-2019, 06:57 PM
Talks a lot of sense and makes some good points.

We still don’t know why Galbraith was punted from Hibs though

superfurryhibby
29-01-2019, 07:05 PM

Is this a whoosh moment? Danny wasn’t good enough, simple as.

However, that is a very good article and pretty much sums it up. Hibs results this season have been poor, but Lennon’s approaches to man management and his erratic media performances have also
contributed enormously to making his position at Hibs weaker.

NadeAteMyLunch!
29-01-2019, 07:30 PM

Too many niggly injuries and not kicking on as a result

Lester B
30-01-2019, 11:13 AM

I think it's interesting to watch SDG in the highlights of the St Mirren game. Aside from a great ball to Shaw which then led to the third goal and tackling (possible second yellow card my bahooky; was a great tackle) watch him for the first two goals. He celebrates with Shaw then turns to the crowd and shouts 'Come on'. Just after Daz gets the second he congratulates the big man then immediately directs him to the fans. That's a captain who realises his role on the pitch for his team

Even aside from that day in May 2016 (what am I saying here!!!??!) the guy is a true captain and a leader. It might be the most baffling thing of all about Lennon that he didn't realise, appreciate and utilise this.