PDA

View Full Version : One Neil Lennon

hughio
28-01-2019, 01:58 PM
For all his shortcomings there really is only one Neil Lennon.
He's abrasive, volatile and combative in battle and surprisingly charming off the field.
He is painfully honest and open.
He has his demons. He's just made that way.
Unique.like all of us. And for a while it was brilliant for our Club.
We've long craved that steel.
Cheers Neil.
All the best.

calumhibee1
28-01-2019, 02:00 PM
He's abrasive, volatile and combative in battle and surprisingly charming off the field.
Cheers Neil.
All the best.

Agree with that. There’s no many like him that’s for sure!

The Harp Awakes
28-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Cheers Neil.
All the best.

Yup.

I wasn't sure about NL when we appointed him, but grew to love him as our Manager. For the first time in my 40+ years supporting Hibs I felt we had a Manager who wouldn't accept Hibs being soft and rolling over, like we have been for decades.

Things have gone pear shaped for Neil this season, mainly because of the inability to replace 3 pivotal players and a horrendous injury list, but he still wouldn't accept failure and mediocrity. That, and his volatility have been his downfall sadly.

Totally gutted that it's ended like this. Could have been an exceptional period in our Club's history.

Hibeesmad
28-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Wherever he goes next I think he will be very successful

The Harp
28-01-2019, 02:43 PM
Sad that a parting of the ways seems inevitable. I'd much rather both parties could somehow resolve their differences as I honestly can't see us getting anyone with Neil's high-profile, charisma and will to win, to take over.

Fuzzywuzzy
28-01-2019, 02:50 PM
I find it sad that a large volume of folk on here have turned him into some sort of pariah

Waxy
28-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Shame it ends like this. Probably was just a few playground tantrums that could be sorted too with apologies.

Hibernia&Alba
28-01-2019, 02:59 PM
I find it sad that a large volume of folk on here have turned him into some sort of pariah

Lots of rumours, but the facts are yet to emerge. Clearly something has gone badly wrong, as manager's don't get suspended for no reason. It's a real shame to end things like this, but the truth will out eventually. If Lennon has behaved terribly, there's no alternative, sadly. We can only wait and wonder.

IberianHibernian
28-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Every managerial appointment is a gamble but Hibs knew exactly what they were getting with NL - a passionate man with a fiery character with a high profile in press . His man management style won`t have been a mystery . The club has benefitted enormously from his managerial skills and high profile ( Europe , bigger crowds etc ) but also has to accept consequences of his character . Anyway , very sad if he definitely is off .

heid the baw
28-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Totally gutted that it's ended like this. Could have been an exceptional period in our Club's history.

That sums up exactly what I feel. It was great while it lasted. I have a feeling that it will be a long time until we have such a progressive and experienced manager again. There is nothing positive about this situation.

CLASS OF 72 -73
28-01-2019, 03:40 PM

Absolutely agree. Can't believe how so many have pounced on Lennon without knowing the facts. He was a god a few weeks ago. Not many highlighting that regardless of the facts player power seems to have won.

Captain Trips
28-01-2019, 03:43 PM
Absolutely agree. Can't believe how so many have pounced on Lennon without knowing the facts. He was a god a few weeks ago. Not many highlighting that regardless of the facts player power seems to have won.

Are you not then saying that LD cannot do her job correctly then to a point? If the facts are never known I believe that LD will have been justified in doing what she did and i will base that on how she has conducted business since her arrival. I have "pounced" on NL based on what i think of LD and my trust in her to be doing the best for the club. If i am wrong believeiving in LD and she has made an almight balls up then i will happily say i was mistaken. So for me right at an absolute key time NL has been punted so I wont be thanking him just yet as this really does undo a lot of the good done. Throughly pissed off at the guy whom i was 100% behind and wanted to get us out of the 8th spot we were in.

SeanWilson
28-01-2019, 03:44 PM
Thanks goodness for that.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

w pilton hibby
28-01-2019, 03:50 PM

Nobody has won... except the media copywriters.

Here’s Lucy!
28-01-2019, 04:02 PM
I, for one, will really miss Neil.

He totally 'got' Hibs and he totally 'got to' the Yam support. Two very good reasons (in amongst many others) why we will miss him so much.

If he gets a job at another club, he will succeed, I have no doubt about that.

Thanks, Neil :hibees

GRA
28-01-2019, 04:15 PM
I'll miss him. Sure we can argue about his tactics in some games and his volatile touchline behaviour. But that all comes with the package. Look at his record against the Old Firm compared to other managers. Big games was never an issue, was the smaller games that tripped us up. But he brought a real winners mentality and wouldn't be cowed by anyone. Qualities you want in your football manager (compared to spineless Calderwood/Fenlon/etc).

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
28-01-2019, 04:22 PM
come on back Neil

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/WhichDisfiguredEft-max-1mb.gif

:boo hoo::not worth

BullsCloseHibs
28-01-2019, 04:24 PM

He totally 'got' Hibs and he totally 'got to' the Yam support. Two very good reasons (in amongst many others) why we will miss him so much.

This 👍

thorbs
28-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Whatever happens in the next few days, thank you Neil.

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2019, 04:28 PM

The Hearts support got to him in the end.

Stonewall
28-01-2019, 04:31 PM
Nobody has won... except the media copywriters.

...and the respective lawyers.

calumhibee1
28-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Are you not then saying that LD cannot do her job correctly then to a point? If the facts are never known I believe that LD will have been justified in doing what she did and i will base that on how she has conducted business since her arrival. I have "pounced" on NL based on what i think of LD and my trust in her to be doing the best for the club. If i am wrong believeiving in LD and she has made an almight balls up then i will happily say i was mistaken. So for me right at an absolute key time NL has been punted so I wont be thanking him just yet as this really does undo a lot of the good done. Throughly pissed off at the guy whom i was 100% behind and wanted to get us out of the 8th spot we were in.

We may not know the facts but we know how cautious Hibs are with pretty much every thing we ever do. There’s no reason to think Hibs have done this on a whim, it’s not the Hibs way of doing anything. We’ll have taken a considered approach and this will be considered appropriate action by Hibs who happen to have an HR expert on the board.

Short of facts indeed but it’s a pretty safe guess that NL has done something majorly wrong or a cumulation of smaller things that have lead to this.

The poster you quoted said he can’t believe people have pounced on NL without the facts but is happy to believe this is the players doing without the facts. Whether it was an issue with the players or an issue with the board there’s only one person to blame for getting suspended from a job and that’s the person that got suspended. Nobody else.

Onion
28-01-2019, 04:45 PM
One thing is certain, ER will be a less colourful place without Neil Lennon. He tried his best to break Hibs Boy Band mentality but failed. The losers won the day.

Here’s Lucy!
28-01-2019, 04:46 PM
We may not know the facts but we know how cautious Hibs are with pretty much every thing we ever do. There’s no reason to think Hibs have done this on a whim, it’s not the Hibs way of doing anything. We’ll have taken a considered approach and this will be considered appropriate action by Hibs who happen to have an HR expert on the board.

Short of facts indeed but it’s a pretty safe guess that NL has done something majorly wrong or a cumulation of smaller things that have lead to this.

The poster you quoted said he can’t believe people have pounced on NL without the facts but is happy to believe this is the players doing without the facts. Whether it was an issue with the players or an issue with the board there’s only one person to blame for getting suspended from a job and that’s the person that got suspended. Nobody else.

Not much wrong with that summary, Calum.:aok:

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2019, 04:48 PM
One thing is certain, ER will be a less colourful place without Neil Lennon. He tried his best to break Hibs Boy Band mentality but failed. The losers won the day.

:faf:

come on mate, he wasn't doing his job well enough, its that simple. The last game before Lennon was the cup final, we weren't some bunch of ****ing losers before him. Didn't look like losers yesterday either.

H18 SFR
28-01-2019, 04:48 PM

We don't have a boy band mentality. That comment related to another era under TM.

Onion
28-01-2019, 04:58 PM
We don't have a boy band mentality. That comment related to another era under TM.

Not true. First comment Lennon made when he became manager was Hibs were seen as soft and a "boy band" team. That accusation was well very well earned up until the 2016 cup final and it was Lennon who instilled grit and fight like no other before him ... for 2 seasons at least. That fight has gone, replaced by the old loser mentality that has plagued the club for decades.

LiviHibee
28-01-2019, 05:00 PM
If at the start of the season you were offered a choice of Jose M or OGS as our manager, who would you have taken? Once a manager loses the dressing room it’s gone too far.

As the old saying goes “Graveyards are full of men who thought they were indispensable”

flash
28-01-2019, 05:00 PM

The boy band that won the Cup?

The 90+2
28-01-2019, 05:02 PM

Give me a Scottish Cup winning boy band any day of the week.

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Not true. First comment Lennon made when he became manager was Hibs were seen as soft and a "boy band" team. That accusation was well very well earned up until the 2016 cup final and it was Lennon who instilled grit and fight like no other before him ... for 2 seasons at least. That fight has gone, replaced by the old loser mentality that has plagued the club for decades.

Really? McLeishs team never had grid? Stubbs team didn't?

The comment about us being like a boy band was relating to the guys like Riordan and O'Connor that Lennon played against. It wasn't aimed at the cup winning side.

The 90+2
28-01-2019, 05:06 PM
Really? McLeishs team never had grid? Stubbs team didn't?

The comment about us being like a boy band was relating to the guys like Riordan and O'Connor that Lennon played against. It wasn't aimed at the cup winning side.

That same boy band team beat Celtic numerous times and includes a more successful Celtic captain than Lennon also.

andybev1
28-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Something meant to be happening at ER - watch scottish news now (STV)- maybe nothing but they said were at easter road - wait for sports section of news obvs.
NO, just like a crap Large headline in a newspaper - big words and when you get to the body of the pice F all - no news at all.

H18 SFR
28-01-2019, 05:14 PM

Absolute guff.

The 90+2
28-01-2019, 05:17 PM
Absolute guff.

👍

cabbageandribs1875
28-01-2019, 05:21 PM
apologise to him for making him have to shout in the first place, then beg him to come back :greengrin

HibeeHibernian4
28-01-2019, 05:22 PM

Wow, and there was me thinking coming back from 2-0 down at Tynecastle and bouncing back from a League Cup final defeat to win the replay up at Inverness showed grit and fight. How wrong I was!

Keith_M
28-01-2019, 05:56 PM
Has he actually left yet?

:dunno:

judas
28-01-2019, 07:04 PM

Conversely, one could say that many people have taken Neil’s side over that of the club.

jacomo
28-01-2019, 07:17 PM

I liked Lenny a lot but I’m not going to mythologise him.

Hibs could still turn in the odd listless, apathetic performance under him too... and of course we went on that awful run before Christmas.

He was a good manager. Much like other good managers who went before him.

One Day Soon
28-01-2019, 07:21 PM

It's mostly an oddly obsessed small minority and it just shows them up. He was a decent manager for us, he's going, time to move on.

One Day Soon
28-01-2019, 07:26 PM
Has he actually left yet?

:dunno:

We could still be asking that question this time next week...

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2019, 08:16 PM
Natural order
Ear cupping
Aeroplane

More fun watching these three games than any other 3 in my lifetime (cup wins excluded, I’m talking fun times here).

HibeeHibernian4
28-01-2019, 08:18 PM
Natural order
Ear cupping
Aeroplane

More fun watching these three games than any other 3 in my lifetime (cup wins excluded, I’m talking fun times here).

They were all a good laugh, but really? No others spring to mind? Sproule sticking 3 past the huns on their own patch? The 6-2 against Hearts? The 7-0 (if you were alive then)?

hibsbollah
28-01-2019, 08:19 PM
Natural order
Ear cupping
Aeroplane

That's very true. Great times. But its time to move on.

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2019, 08:21 PM
They were all a good laugh, but really? No others spring to mind? Sproule sticking 3 past the huns on their own patch? The 6-2 against Hearts? The 7-0 (if you were alive then)?

Aye, cheers, just piss on my chips eh.

Can’t even have one thread.

One Day Soon
28-01-2019, 08:26 PM
Aye, cheers, just piss on my chips eh.

Can’t even have one thread.

It appears not.

Natural Order was very, very good fun though.

WhileTheChief..
28-01-2019, 08:30 PM
Notice we’re going back 20 or 40 odd years for other fun time matches!

Man, we’ve had it bad over the years!!

For all Lennon’s faults we had more fun, exciting matches under him than I can remember under any other manager, that’s for sure.

jacomo
28-01-2019, 08:41 PM
It's mostly an oddly obsessed small minority and it just shows them up. He was a decent manager for us, he's going, time to move on.

:agree:

Let’s not exaggerate. A few think Lennon is the devil. Others think he’s a saint. The rest of us probably recognise his contribution but realise he’s finished.

mca
28-01-2019, 08:44 PM
So what if NL Admits he done the wrong things and apologize - publicly to Kamberi and to Hibs and to the fans etc etc etc.. Do we still tell him to Bolt ???

Keith_M
28-01-2019, 08:44 PM

For all Lennon’s faults we had more fun, exciting matches under him than I can remember under any other manager, that’s for sure.

4-0 at home to the Zombie Hun was a good laugh.

Being 2-0 down to Hearts in the Cup at Tynie until the 80th minute, scoring two goals and then winning the replay.

A certain Cup Final win.

They were all under the previous manager

madhatter
28-01-2019, 08:52 PM
So what if NL Admits he done the wrong things and apologize - publicly to Kamberi and to Hibs and to the fans etc etc etc.. Do we still tell him to Bolt ???

That’s never going to happen but to answer your question, yes. His position is untenable.

1van Sprou7e
28-01-2019, 08:53 PM

Agree, although we failed to to have any truly legendary moments under Lennon, we'll do well to reach the same levels of excitement again

3-2 at Ibrox
2-2 at Celtic park
2-2 at home to Celtic
2-1 at home to Celtic
2-1 at Ibrox
5-3 Vs Killie
5-5 Vs rangers

To name a few, all in just 1 season

B.H.F.C
28-01-2019, 08:54 PM

Damage is already done. Need to move on for everyone’s sake.

cleanyman
28-01-2019, 09:02 PM
He's my favourite ever Hibs manager

I'm a tough man to please so that's saying something

weecounty hibby
28-01-2019, 09:12 PM
I was surprised when we were linked with him. I was amazed when we got him. I was thrilled when he led us to promotion. Delighted with how he had is playing most of last year. Proud of the way he stuck up for our club. Glad that he seemed to "get Hibs. So so sad that it has ended like this for our club and for Neil. Whatever has happened I'm sure none of the folk involved wanted an outcome like this. Thanks for everything and I hope that this won't change the way he feels about Hibs

jacomo
28-01-2019, 09:16 PM

Would be an interesting one.

I’m a sucker for a redemption story and I’d love one here. NL returns to work, Hibs surge up the League, smash Hearts and lift the cup again in May...

Sadly I think it’s very very unlikely - Lenny is probably still in furious denial mode.

B.H.F.C
28-01-2019, 09:17 PM
I was surprised when we were linked with him. I was amazed when we got him. I was thrilled when he led us to promotion. Delighted with how he had is playing most of last year. Proud of the way he stuck up for our club. Glad that he seemed to "get Hibs. So so sad that it has ended like this for our club and for Neil. Whatever has happened I'm sure none of the folk involved wanted an outcome like this. Thanks for everything and I hope that this won't change the way he feels about Hibs

Well said. Been clear for a while now that it was coming to an end. But it was fantastic for the first two and a bit years.

Will be difficult to replace. Not impossible. But difficult.

Real Emerald
28-01-2019, 09:23 PM
I think trouble and controversy follows him about. I’ve no idea why really but maybe we don’t need that extra pressure. I don’t think he’s anything special as a manager but I don’t know how much he’s been held back by the board! We get little information but I’m not bothered if he goes, it’s not exactly going well ATM.

Dunfyhibee
28-01-2019, 09:25 PM
When he was good he was very good, probably the best we have been in a long time. Very unlucky this season with injuries and some of his signings just not being up to it or being played in the correct decisions. Formation and team selection strange to say the least at some points this season. At some point he has to realise respected public slating might not be the best way to get a player to perform. Will miss the good times but the place needs a lift.

NadeAteMyLunch!
28-01-2019, 10:09 PM

Incorrect. His quote was that when he was at Celtic he used to view us as a good side but too soft and like a boy band. He was directly referring to our Golden era of youngsters who played under Mowbray.

The 90+2
28-01-2019, 10:14 PM
Would be an interesting one.

I’m a sucker for a redemption story and I’d love one here. NL returns to work, Hibs surge up the League, smash Hearts and lift the cup again in May...

Sadly I think it’s very very unlikely - Lenny is probably still in furious denial mode.

He’s not wanted to be here since the summer so why would he come back? Going through the motions and ripping players to bits.

bigstu
28-01-2019, 10:16 PM
I loved going to watch Hibs under Neil Lennon, last season in particular was a joy & it made the long trips down from Aberdeen worth it.

Thanks for the memories Neil & for playing football the way it should be played & getting us up & out of our seats throughout most matches.

Smartie
28-01-2019, 10:26 PM
I think trouble and controversy follows him about. I’ve no idea why really but maybe we don’t need that extra pressure. I don’t think he’s anything special as a manager but I don’t know how much he’s been held back by the board! We get little information but I’m not bothered if he goes, it’s not exactly going well ATM.

His great strength and his great weakness is that he just doesn't back down.

Ever.

Brilliant man to have in your corner but bother is never all that far away.

Real Emerald
28-01-2019, 11:29 PM
His great strength and his great weakness is that he just doesn't back down.

Ever.

Brilliant man to have in your corner but bother is never all that far away.

Yes, if you we’re picking people to be on your side he’d be first pick but you’d know it was going to be trouble. He’s had his time now though, shame.

Tornadoes70
28-01-2019, 11:44 PM
Yes, if you we’re picking people to be on your side he’d be first pick but you’d know it was going to be trouble. He’s had his time now though, shame.

A real character who wore his heart on his sleeve. Hope he goes on to prosper and find peace wherever he goes once the matters resolved.

Going to be a very interesting period for the club in the days ahead and hopefully the supporters will rally round, turn up in huge numbers as per and get right behind the team vocally.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

basehibby
29-01-2019, 12:55 AM
Cheers Neil.
All the best.

Well said - like a heartfelt Hibee haiku for Lenny - just a bit longer - all the best Lenny and thanks for the memories - it was good while it lasted :thumbsup:

macca70
29-01-2019, 02:29 AM
2 wins from 14 games in a league where he has the 4th largest budget and folk are making out that he’s some kind of managerial genius.

I don’t get it!!

He’s had the backing from the board, backing from the fans, been allowed to make signings, trains every day in the clubs own training complex, got to take the squad to a training camp in Dubai.

The conditions and resources he’s had to work with are some of the best in the league yet current form is relegation standard.

I’ll wish him well but it’s a great opportunity now for a fresh start for the club.

SquashedFrogg
29-01-2019, 06:05 AM
2 wins from 14 games in a league where he has the 4th largest budget and folk are making out that he’s some kind of managerial genius.

I don’t get it!!

He’s had the backing from the board, backing from the fans, been allowed to make signings, trains every day in the clubs own training complex, got to take the squad to a training camp in Dubai.

The conditions and resources he’s had to work with are some of the best in the league yet current form is relegation standard.

I’ll wish him well but it’s a great opportunity now for a fresh start for the club.

5th largest and lets completely forget the last 2 seasons shall we.

FWIW I think there's a number of factors that have contributed to this seasons slump. Not all down to the manager.

But hey, he's gone. Might be worth while accepting some people are disappointed he's away.

The clue is in the thread title.

calumhibee1
29-01-2019, 07:19 AM
5th largest and lets completely forget the last 2 seasons shall we.

FWIW I think there's a number of factors that have contributed to this seasons slump. Not all down to the manager.

But hey, he's gone. Might be worth while accepting some people are disappointed he's away.

The clue is in the thread title.

I agree with this.

I personally think his “credit” that people talk about had ran out but he done what he needed to in his first season and last season was overall very good (with the second half of the season dragging it up to that point due to being exceptional). This season has imo been awful though and to me the signs were there that it wasn’t going to get better.

Good luck to him whatever he does next. I’m not sure after this it’ll be in football management though.