PDA

View Full Version : * * HELP NEEDED - University Dissertation * *

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 01:29 PM
Hi All

As part of my dissertation project I have to construct some focus groups with the participants discussing my topic

My research topic is about the loyalty of football fans and how they support their club through high and lows

Therefore I think this is a perfect platform to post and ask if anyone is willing to take part as it is clear everyone on this forum is a devoted fan and would love to get people's opinion on my topic. I am needing a small group of people to take part in 1 session which will last an hour max.

These focus groups would most likely take place at Heriot Watt University as that is where I go to university, however if we could agree on somewhere that is easier for all parties involved then I would be more than happy to compromise

If anyone is willing to take part in these please just drop me a message or reply to this post and we can arrange a date, time and a place

Thanks in advance

Cocaine&Caviar
28-01-2019, 02:52 PM
Hi Andrew,

I completed my Dissertation in 2013 on the consumer relationship of football fans, and my research was from Hibs and Hearts fans.

I was at Heriot-Watt also, it was part of my Business Management with Marketing degree with K. Waite.

If you would like me to send it on, drop me a DM.

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 03:20 PM
Hi Andrew,

I completed my Dissertation in 2013 on the consumer relationship of football fans, and my research was from Hibs and Hearts fans.

I was at Heriot-Watt also, it was part of my Business Management with Marketing degree with K. Waite.

If you would like me to send it on, drop me a DM.

I have sent you a DM mate

Famous Fiver
28-01-2019, 04:16 PM
Watch the plagiarism angle chaps. HWU pretty hot on spotting this.

Best to keep this off a public forum.

Cocaine&Caviar
28-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Everything goes through Turnitin, a plagiarism checking software when you submit any document. No option to plagiarise nowadays. Plus you can read previous dissertstions in the Uni library...

Jones28
28-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Watch the plagiarism angle chaps. HWU pretty hot on spotting this.

Best to keep this off a public forum.

I think you would be ok on this if you angle it as a qualitative secondary source of information. Worth checking though.

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 04:58 PM
Yeah, if I do use any of it I can reference him and it should be all okay. I may not even use any of it, would just be good to see someone else take on a topic similar to my own.

Will help me to angle my questions that I ask when I host my focus groups

beensaidbefore
28-01-2019, 06:01 PM
It might be worth including a short survey on the day? In a group of 20 it would only give 3 minutes talking time each. Might not be enough chance for some of the quieter voices to get a chance to talk if the stronger voices chat on.

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 07:44 PM
It might be worth including a short survey on the day? In a group of 20 it would only give 3 minutes talking time each. Might not be enough chance for some of the quieter voices to get a chance to talk if the stronger voices chat on.

My intention was never to have 20 people all in one room, as I feel that scares people off too. I just did not know how to word it to get across in my message.

Ideally I would be hosting multiple focus groups as like you said people would not get the chance to speak. I just need the total number of participants to be between 15 and 25 so that could mean for example I do 3 focus groups of 7 or 4 of 5 etc. Where I would just ask questions on my topic and then let the discussion flow amongst the participants to get their thoughts and opinions

People who would be willing to partake in one would only have to attend one and it would just depend on the availability of them and of others. The reason I state 15 to 25 as that is the total number of participants I need, just not in one sitting.

Hopefully that clears up what I am meaning and people feel more relaxed to come forward. If there is a group of you who would want to do it I can do it on your terms and meet you wherever is easiest for you, as I am pretty flexible with my uni right now.

beensaidbefore
28-01-2019, 08:16 PM
My intention was never to have 20 people all in one room, as I feel that scares people off too. I just did not know how to word it to get across in my message.

Ideally I would be hosting multiple focus groups as like you said people would not get the chance to speak. I just need the total number of participants to be between 15 and 25 so that could mean for example I do 3 focus groups of 7 or 4 of 5 etc. Where I would just ask questions on my topic and then let the discussion flow amongst the participants to get their thoughts and opinions

People who would be willing to partake in one would only have to attend one and it would just depend on the availability of them and of others. The reason I state 15 to 25 as that is the total number of participants I need, just not in one sitting.

Hopefully that clears up what I am meaning and people feel more relaxed to come forward. If there is a group of you who would want to do it I can do it on your terms and meet you wherever is easiest for you, as I am pretty flexible with my uni right now.

Smaller groups make sense mate.

Are you recording the converations? Will be helpful to listen back

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 08:20 PM
Smaller groups make sense mate.

Are you recording the converations? Will be helpful to listen back

Yeah I will be, all participants will be given an alias though to give them confidentiality. The plan is to record them all and then transcribe the whole session, then from that I will be able to develop themes that are apparent from my findings and hopefully produce a decent piece of work from that

Hardest part I feel is just finding people, then once it happens the conversation will flow as we all share the same passion, making conversations and discussions easier

beensaidbefore
28-01-2019, 08:31 PM
Yeah I will be, all participants will be given an alias though to give them confidentiality. The plan is to record them all and then transcribe the whole session, then from that I will be able to develop themes that are apparent from my findings and hopefully produce a decent piece of work from that

Hardest part I feel is just finding people, then once it happens the conversation will flow as we all share the same passion, making conversations and discussions easier

It will be some task transcribing the whole thing. Good luck. Small tip, when you are asking a someone a question, use their name/alias at the start of the question.

Have you thought about going to a game early and speaking to folk, also at half time. You could linger near the pie stand. Folk are standing there anyway so you could explain your idea and get their buy in. Either that or some pubs on match days?

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 08:54 PM
It will be some task transcribing the whole thing. Good luck. Small tip, when you are asking a someone a question, use their name/alias at the start of the question.

Have you thought about going to a game early and speaking to folk, also at half time. You could linger near the pie stand. Folk are standing there anyway so you could explain your idea and get their buy in. Either that or some pubs on match days?

Yeah it will be an absolute mission but something I'll just have to get on with and do. Thanks for that, I will keep that in mind.

I mean that is always an option but preferably the conversation would need to be at least 30 mins minimum and I am needing it to be with groups of people not individuals, but if it comes to it I could do that. I would be happy to meet a group of people before a match at a pub and chat away to them for a bit, as it is an easy location to meet up with people and we are all there for the same reason, to go to the match. I just need to find people who would be willing to chat away with me

Stantons Angel
28-01-2019, 08:58 PM
hi, i did this sfor someone else on here and it was a great experience.

Id take part if you wish just drop me a note.

beensaidbefore
28-01-2019, 09:08 PM
Yeah it will be an absolute mission but something I'll just have to get on with and do. Thanks for that, I will keep that in mind.

I mean that is always an option but preferably the conversation would need to be at least 30 mins minimum and I am needing it to be with groups of people not individuals, but if it comes to it I could do that. I would be happy to meet a group of people before a match at a pub and chat away to them for a bit, as it is an easy location to meet up with people and we are all there for the same reason, to go to the match. I just need to find people who would be willing to chat away with me

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my last post. I meant you could approach folk at the match and ask them to come along to the uni or wherever. If they meet you fave to face and understand the concept they may be up for it. My thought about the pie queue was you could spraff away and they are stuck listening to you😂

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 09:18 PM
hi, i did this sfor someone else on here and it was a great experience.

Id take part if you wish just drop me a note.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it, I will send you a message

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my last post. I meant you could approach folk at the match and ask them to come along to the uni or wherever. If they meet you fave to face and understand the concept they may be up for it. My thought about the pie queue was you could spraff away and they are stuck listening to you😂

Oh right I get you now! Yeah thats a good idea that, might consider that for the next game. I feel it is really hard to explain the concept of this over these types of posts so could be a good shout that. Going back to the idea of the pub before the match, I think that is a perfect scenario, a chat about football and hibs alongside a cold pint. If you see someone pestering folk at the pie stand you know who it is 😂

beensaidbefore
28-01-2019, 09:27 PM
Oh right I get you now! Yeah thats a good idea that, might consider that for the next game. I feel it is really hard to explain the concept of this over these types of posts so could be a good shout that. Going back to the idea of the pub before the match, I think that is a perfect scenario, a chat about football and hibs alongside a cold pint. If you see someone pestering folk at the pie stand you know who it is 😂

🤣

Good luck 👍

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 09:29 PM
🤣

Good luck 👍

Cheers mate

I'll need it 😂

CMurdoch
28-01-2019, 11:05 PM
Hi All

As part of my dissertation project I have to construct some focus groups with the participants discussing my topic

My research topic is about the loyalty of football fans and how they support their club through high and lows

Therefore I think this is a perfect platform to post and ask if anyone is willing to take part as it is clear everyone on this forum is a devoted fan and would love to get people's opinion on my topic. I am needing a small group of people to take part in 1 session which will last an hour max.

These focus groups would most likely take place at Heriot Watt University as that is where I go to university, however if we could agree on somewhere that is easier for all parties involved then I would be more than happy to compromise

If anyone is willing to take part in these please just drop me a message or reply to this post and we can arrange a date, time and a place

Thanks in advance

Andrew, I live on the north east of the city so going to Heriot Watt would be a pain but i am happy to meet pre match for an hour for a chat.

andrewhenry
28-01-2019, 11:49 PM
Andrew, I live on the north east of the city so going to Heriot Watt would be a pain but i am happy to meet pre match for an hour for a chat.

Yeah no worries mate, I completely understand that can be a hassle and will try and cater to your needs as much as I can

I'll drop you a DM in the morning to discuss where we can meet etc

Thanks for your interest, I really appreciate it

southern hibby
29-01-2019, 12:29 AM
Andrew would be more than happy to help out if you need me.

GGTTH

andrewhenry
29-01-2019, 11:37 AM
Andrew would be more than happy to help out if you need me.

GGTTH

Perfect mate thanks so much

Will drop you a DM

Baker9
29-01-2019, 07:58 PM
Your dissertation is a research project. Your library is full of research methods text books. If you want a decent pass, start by researching how to research. Authors Ray Kent or Alan Wilson would do. Spend a lot of time reading up about your chosen methodology and only then begin your research.

andrewhenry
29-01-2019, 09:21 PM
Your dissertation is a research project. Your library is full of research methods text books. If you want a decent pass, start by researching how to research. Authors Ray Kent or Alan Wilson would do. Spend a lot of time reading up about your chosen methodology and only then begin your research.

Yeah I have done my research and have written a substantial amount towards it. My methodology has been completed and focus groups are the avenue that I am going down. However I am still needing some external research from others so I can get their take and perspective on my topic. Once I have my information, I will analyse it and produce my findings and then produce a full research project.

I will definitely have a look into those authors you mentioned and see what they have to offer.

Thanks

GreenT
31-01-2019, 05:34 PM
Hi All

Thanks in advance
Would be happy to help. I have to say that I have supported Hibs for more than 40 years so maybe you would prefer a younger viewpoint

HibeeHibernian4
31-01-2019, 05:38 PM
Would be happy to help. I have to say that I have supported Hibs for more than 40 years so maybe you would prefer a younger viewpoint

On the contrary, I'd imagine you following the club for forty years will provide a fantastic account of loyalty to a club!

andrewhenry
01-02-2019, 11:38 AM

That would be perfect mate

40 years just shows the commitment and loyalty you have to the club, therefore would make you a great person to speak to

I'll DM you

andrewhenry
01-02-2019, 11:38 AM
On the contrary, I'd imagine you following the club for forty years will provide a fantastic account of loyalty to a club!

Totally agree