PDA

View Full Version : This is how it feels (St Mirren 270119)

Jonnyboy
27-01-2019, 10:28 PM
First of all, I need to apologise for this offering being a little bit late in being posted. I went straight from Paisley to Murrayfield to take in the Murrayfield Racers match against Kirkcaldy Kestrels. Racers won 6-0 so it was a pretty good day all round.

As to the football, I wondered how things might pan out with Eddie May and Grant Murray in charge, due to the absence of Neil Lennon and Gary Parker. There were two changes to the starting line up bringing Gray and Slivka into the action, with Omeonga dropping to the bench and Porteous missing out due to injury. Surprisingly, in my view, Steven Whittaker was listed as the wide left player in what seemed like a 3 5 1 1 set up as once again Sean Mackie had to be content with a seat on the bench.

Hibs started the game well enough when an early diagonal pass from Mallan saw the ball reach Gray but his driven cross just eluded Kamberi. Mallan was involved again shortly thereafter when he was dumped on his backside near the edge of the box but his resultant free kick although looking to be on target, was deflected for a corner. The hosts were working hard and the Hibs defence had to be alert to the clever runs of Jackson. They were busy but really creating too much and the next action came at the other end when a superb through ball from Gauld seemed to catch Horgan on his heels a bit and before he could cause the St Mirren defence problems he was closed down with the only reward being a corner. When Mallan delivered that corner, SDG went close with a header that just cleared the crossbar.

Around ten minutes later, Lyons got in behind McGregor and his low cross was prodded home by Jackson to put St Mirren a goal up. It was, I think, their first effort on target but Rocky had no chance as the ball flew past him. Marciano might have conceded again soon after as poor defending saw Jackson get the ball inside the six yard box but Rocky pulled off a fantastic instinctive save to deny the Saints forward. Hibs were looking for an equaliser but often their play was ponderous and allowed the home side to defend in numbers.

Given the events of recent days I made a point of watching Kamberi as I felt that if there was any negative effect on the players it would be to him more than any other. Although asked once again to play the lone striker role he showed up well and made a number of excellent runs whilst also linking with his midfield on occasion. In truth, he and his team mates still looked as though they were reluctant to try certain things but as the game wore on his contribution grew in a positive sense.

Just prior to the interval, Horgan took a sore one after a particularly hefty challenge and although he started the second half he was clearly feeling the effects and was replaced by Oli Shaw. That change witnessed Hibs going to a straight 4 4 2 and in my view it gave the side a much more balanced look about it although it took another couple of fine saves to stop St Mirren doubling their lead. The second of those saves came just a couple of minutes before Hibs equalised and that goal came from Oli Shaw after a fine ball into his path by Mallan. With Hladky closing him down, Oli was calmness personified in slotting the ball beyond him and into the net.

Hibs were in the ascendency now with the 1000+ travelling fans roaring them on. The roars became deafening when a Mallan corner was headed towards goal by Shaw but was blocked on the line; as the ball dropped inside the six yard box Darren McGregor hammered it into the roof of the net. Very soon thereafter a stunning save by Rocky saw the ball deflect to a Saints player right in front of goal but a wonderful acrobatic clearance by McGregor saved the day.

Saints were pushing hard for an equaliser and once again were thwarted by a cracking Marciano save before the game was finished as a contest a couple of minutes from time when Oli Shaw broke free on the left before pushing the ball into the path of Stevie Mallan who steered his shot inside the post to make it 3-1. Moments later, another Mallan effort was pushed to safety by Hladky and as the game drew to its conclusion it was three points to Hibernian and following Livingston’s defeat, a move upward of one place in the league table.

There is absolutely no doubt the last few days have been turbulent and although Hibs often looked cagey in the first half they came on to a great game in the second and the manner of their goal celebrations, in front of a jubilant support, indicated to me a real togetherness. That, to me, is important because recent events might have totally derailed them. On now to a couple of very difficult games against Aberdeen at home and Celtic away. Whoever is in charge, I hope they set us up in a traditional 4 4 2 as we looked much better in that shape and certainly have the players to accommodate it.

The players

Rocky – I honestly believe that but for Rocky we’d probably have lost today. There were a couple of very good outfield performances but I can’t see past our goalkeeper for my man of the match award.

SDG – We look so much better when he is playing and barring injury he should always be selected. His presence also gave me a chance to laugh when, as he bore down on goal, a fan behind me, in all of the excitement of a possible goal being scored, shouted “hit it Sir David”

Daz – A great goal and a great second half clearance are definitely plus points but I get pretty frustrated with his use of the ball at times as a hopeful punt forward usually means the ball will come straight back again.

Paul – Was getting pelters from someone sitting behind me and called “soft” etc., whereas I thought he was fine and hit a couple of cracking diagonal passes to the feet of David Gray. I never witnessed him being bullied by their strikers so the ‘soft’ comment confuses me.

Whitty – Although I’ve said I was surprised he was listed on the left in preference to Mackie, I thought he had a fine game, using his experience to great effect.

Slivka – In the first half especially, when head tennis seemed to dominate proceedings, I felt he was like an oasis of calm when others around him seemed reluctant to put their foot on the ball and try to create something. He is one of the outfield players I considered for my man of the match award.

Gauld – With the ball spending obscene amounts of time in the air, Ryan struggled to get involved but when he did his contribution was largely positive. He is the kind of player who always looks as though he is in control of the ball and knows how to use it.

Marv – The big fella got about the park well and broke play up on occasion but like Daz, his distribution is often not great. The huge smile on his face when he celebrates us scoring is though, a sight to behold!

Stevie – Poor Stevie had the home fans giving him a hard time, joined by a number of Hibs fans doing the same. Often accused of avoiding the physical side of the game the first four fouls to St Mirren were as a result of Mallan doing the physical side of the game. Add to that his involvement in all three goals and you’d have to say he had a good day at the office, joining Slivka in my outfield options for man of the match.

Daryl – I’m afraid I felt that Horgan never really got going today and even before he was injured I was suggesting that he should maybe be replaced at half time.

Flo – This was surely going to be a difficult day for the laddie who must be aware that he’s being named in the media as being involved in Lennon and Parker being excluded from their jobs this afternoon. Despite that, I felt he started the game well enough and improved as it went on. Indeed, I felt he was doing a number of the things I criticised him for not doing against Motherwell; in competing for high balls, holding it up and linking with his midfield.

Oli – Got almost the whole of the second half and showed up really well in scoring one, making another and seeing his netbound header thrashed home by Daz as it rebounded. If you add in the fact that Flo looks much happier in a two and that Oli knows where the goals are he is surely a much better player than some give him credit for.

Omeonga – Came on in a like for like swap with Gauld and looks the part. Got about the pitch well, broke forward when given the chance and put tackles in when needed. Still too early to make a more considered appraisal of him but so far I like what I see.

Sean – Got on seconds before the final whistle so not a lot more I can say.

Eddie May/Grant Murray – 100% record intact! I’m hearing Eddie doesn’t want the job full time though!

The ref – Steven McLean was a busy man as the game rarely seemed to flow due to a succession of niggly fouls.

The fans – We were there, we were supportive but until we scored we were oh so quiet. What happened to the singing section today?

Eyrie
27-01-2019, 10:47 PM
First of all, I need to apologise for this offering being a little bit late in being posted.

Interesting philosophical question - if there is no sign of This Is How It Feels, did the game actually happen?

Clearly it did, and the second half is just as I remembered it. You've diplomatically avoided commenting on our non-performance in the first half.

Is It On....
27-01-2019, 10:48 PM
Thanks for taking the time to do such a thorough report, it really keeps exiles with "limited game time" like me in touch 🙂

Rattler
27-01-2019, 11:06 PM
Good report J...thanks.

Watched it on Sky and there were a few things contradictory, but if you were there and watching the whole game in front of you then I’m happy with your summary of the game as opposed to what the cameras choose to show.

Onwards and upward 👍🏻

BILLYHIBS
28-01-2019, 07:54 AM
:thumbsup:

CRAZYHIBBY
28-01-2019, 08:05 AM
First of all, I need to apologise for this offering being a little bit late in being posted. I went straight from Paisley to Murrayfield to take in the Murrayfield Racers match against Kirkcaldy Kestrels. Racers won 6-0 so it was a pretty good day all round.

As to the football, I wondered how things might pan out with Eddie May and Grant Murray in charge, due to the absence of Neil Lennon and Gary Parker. There were two changes to the starting line up bringing Gray and Slivka into the action, with Omeonga dropping to the bench and Porteous missing out due to injury. Surprisingly, in my view, Steven Whittaker was listed as the wide left player in what seemed like a 3 5 1 1 set up as once again Sean Mackie had to be content with a seat on the bench.

Hibs started the game well enough when an early diagonal pass from Mallan saw the ball reach Gray but his driven cross just eluded Kamberi. Mallan was involved again shortly thereafter when he was dumped on his backside near the edge of the box but his resultant free kick although looking to be on target, was deflected for a corner. The hosts were working hard and the Hibs defence had to be alert to the clever runs of Jackson. They were busy but really creating too much and the next action came at the other end when a superb through ball from Gauld seemed to catch Horgan on his heels a bit and before he could cause the St Mirren defence problems he was closed down with the only reward being a corner. When Mallan delivered that corner, SDG went close with a header that just cleared the crossbar.

Around ten minutes later, Lyons got in behind McGregor and his low cross was prodded home by Jackson to put St Mirren a goal up. It was, I think, their first effort on target but Rocky had no chance as the ball flew past him. Marciano might have conceded again soon after as poor defending saw Jackson get the ball inside the six yard box but Rocky pulled off a fantastic instinctive save to deny the Saints forward. Hibs were looking for an equaliser but often their play was ponderous and allowed the home side to defend in numbers.

Given the events of recent days I made a point of watching Kamberi as I felt that if there was any negative effect on the players it would be to him more than any other. Although asked once again to play the lone striker role he showed up well and made a number of excellent runs whilst also linking with his midfield on occasion. In truth, he and his team mates still looked as though they were reluctant to try certain things but as the game wore on his contribution grew in a positive sense.

Just prior to the interval, Horgan took a sore one after a particularly hefty challenge and although he started the second half he was clearly feeling the effects and was replaced by Oli Shaw. That change witnessed Hibs going to a straight 4 4 2 and in my view it gave the side a much more balanced look about it although it took another couple of fine saves to stop St Mirren doubling their lead. The second of those saves came just a couple of minutes before Hibs equalised and that goal came from Oli Shaw after a fine ball into his path by Mallan. With Hladky closing him down, Oli was calmness personified in slotting the ball beyond him and into the net.

Hibs were in the ascendency now with the 1000+ travelling fans roaring them on. The roars became deafening when a Mallan corner was headed towards goal by Shaw but was blocked on the line; as the ball dropped inside the six yard box Darren McGregor hammered it into the roof of the net. Very soon thereafter a stunning save by Rocky saw the ball deflect to a Saints player right in front of goal but a wonderful acrobatic clearance by McGregor saved the day.

Saints were pushing hard for an equaliser and once again were thwarted by a cracking Marciano save before the game was finished as a contest a couple of minutes from time when Oli Shaw broke free on the left before pushing the ball into the path of Stevie Mallan who steered his shot inside the post to make it 3-1. Moments later, another Mallan effort was pushed to safety by Hladky and as the game drew to its conclusion it was three points to Hibernian and following Livingston’s defeat, a move upward of one place in the league table.

There is absolutely no doubt the last few days have been turbulent and although Hibs often looked cagey in the first half they came on to a great game in the second and the manner of their goal celebrations, in front of a jubilant support, indicated to me a real togetherness. That, to me, is important because recent events might have totally derailed them. On now to a couple of very difficult games against Aberdeen at home and Celtic away. Whoever is in charge, I hope they set us up in a traditional 4 4 2 as we looked much better in that shape and certainly have the players to accommodate it.

The players

Rocky – I honestly believe that but for Rocky we’d probably have lost today. There were a couple of very good outfield performances but I can’t see past our goalkeeper for my man of the match award.

SDG – We look so much better when he is playing and barring injury he should always be selected. His presence also gave me a chance to laugh when, as he bore down on goal, a fan behind me, in all of the excitement of a possible goal being scored, shouted “hit it Sir David”

Daz – A great goal and a great second half clearance are definitely plus points but I get pretty frustrated with his use of the ball at times as a hopeful punt forward usually means the ball will come straight back again.

Paul – Was getting pelters from someone sitting behind me and called “soft” etc., whereas I thought he was fine and hit a couple of cracking diagonal passes to the feet of David Gray. I never witnessed him being bullied by their strikers so the ‘soft’ comment confuses me.

Whitty – Although I’ve said I was surprised he was listed on the left in preference to Mackie, I thought he had a fine game, using his experience to great effect.

Slivka – In the first half especially, when head tennis seemed to dominate proceedings, I felt he was like an oasis of calm when others around him seemed reluctant to put their foot on the ball and try to create something. He is one of the outfield players I considered for my man of the match award.

Gauld – With the ball spending obscene amounts of time in the air, Ryan struggled to get involved but when he did his contribution was largely positive. He is the kind of player who always looks as though he is in control of the ball and knows how to use it.

Marv – The big fella got about the park well and broke play up on occasion but like Daz, his distribution is often not great. The huge smile on his face when he celebrates us scoring is though, a sight to behold!

Stevie – Poor Stevie had the home fans giving him a hard time, joined by a number of Hibs fans doing the same. Often accused of avoiding the physical side of the game the first four fouls to St Mirren were as a result of Mallan doing the physical side of the game. Add to that his involvement in all three goals and you’d have to say he had a good day at the office, joining Slivka in my outfield options for man of the match.

Daryl – I’m afraid I felt that Horgan never really got going today and even before he was injured I was suggesting that he should maybe be replaced at half time.

Flo – This was surely going to be a difficult day for the laddie who must be aware that he’s being named in the media as being involved in Lennon and Parker being excluded from their jobs this afternoon. Despite that, I felt he started the game well enough and improved as it went on. Indeed, I felt he was doing a number of the things I criticised him for not doing against Motherwell; in competing for high balls, holding it up and linking with his midfield.

Oli – Got almost the whole of the second half and showed up really well in scoring one, making another and seeing his netbound header thrashed home by Daz as it rebounded. If you add in the fact that Flo looks much happier in a two and that Oli knows where the goals are he is surely a much better player than some give him credit for.

Omeonga – Came on in a like for like swap with Gauld and looks the part. Got about the pitch well, broke forward when given the chance and put tackles in when needed. Still too early to make a more considered appraisal of him but so far I like what I see.

Sean – Got on seconds before the final whistle so not a lot more I can say.

Eddie May/Grant Murray – 100% record intact! I’m hearing Eddie doesn’t want the job full time though!

The ref – Steven McLean was a busy man as the game rarely seemed to flow due to a succession of niggly fouls.

The fans – We were there, we were supportive but until we scored we were oh so quiet. What happened to the singing section today?

I reckon this would get annoying if people kept quoting you

superfurryhibby
28-01-2019, 08:29 AM
See what i mean

Yeah, your eh, crazy......yawn.

Carheenlea
28-01-2019, 10:01 AM
Good and accurate report as always Johnnyboy. I was with HC when you were chatting to him pre match - should have introduced myself.

Billy Whizz
28-01-2019, 10:35 AM
Good and accurate report as always Johnnyboy. I was with HC when you were chatting to him pre match - should have introduced myself.

This is how it feels to see HC smiling at full time😬

NZ Green
28-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Always look forward to reading your write ups, cheers.

Iggy Pope
28-01-2019, 04:27 PM
Pretty accurate. Although there was a singing section behind me who were a pain in the ****ing arse with their ironic Paddy Fenton G&WA and We Are Staying Up *****.

Sammy7nil
28-01-2019, 04:32 PM
Always look forward to reading your write ups, cheers.

Hear hear

Jonnyboy
28-01-2019, 09:52 PM
Interesting philosophical question - if there is no sign of This Is How It Feels, did the game actually happen?

Clearly it did, and the second half is just as I remembered it. You've diplomatically avoided commenting on our non-performance in the first half.

Always looking for positives - there weren't many :greengrin

I reckon this would get annoying if people kept quoting you

Thanks for your input :wink:

Aye, HC had trouble pronouncing your name or I'd have recognised it :greengrin

jacomo
28-01-2019, 11:07 PM
Great report again, excellent piece.