PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Bartley

bingo70
27-01-2019, 06:43 PM
Thought the big guy deserved a thread of his own today.

Not the greatest footballer we’ve ever had but to me he is an absolute Hibs hero of this generation.

Today after all that had happened over the last couple of days we needed leaders on the park to stand up to the test and drag us through this period and he did that outstandingly well. He just seems to get Hibs and all that it means to so many people.

He won’t be able to play on forever but I hope whoever replaces Lennon recognises his importance to the club and gives him a new deal.

Love the guy.

hibee1875
27-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Thought the same myself. Put himself in where it hurts for the benefit of the team. Deserves another 1 year deal

Stevie Reid
27-01-2019, 06:45 PM
Absolutely adore Marv. Thought he was poor in the first half today, mind you.

Would definitely always be a starter for me at the moment though.

Bostonhibby
27-01-2019, 06:47 PM

Not the greatest footballer we’ve ever had but to me he is an absolute Hibs hero of this generation.

Today after all that had happened over the last couple of days we needed leaders on the park to stand up to the test and drag us through this period and he did that outstandingly well. He just seems to get Hibs and all that it means to so many people.

He won’t be able to play on forever but I hope whoever replaces Lennon recognises his importance to the club and gives him a new deal.

Love the guy.[emoji106]

Rate him highly. Random Spurs fan I was sitting next to watching the game thought Marvin was our best player.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Crab apple
27-01-2019, 06:48 PM

Love the guy.

And always gives 100%. We’re less likely to be bullied when he’s playing.

Leith Green
27-01-2019, 06:52 PM
Thought he was excellent yet again. Out of the current midfielders in our squad , he is easily the 1st pick for defensive midfielder. Gauld , slivka in front of him with mallan (unless we get allan in early) playing in the hole...

weecounty hibby
27-01-2019, 06:58 PM
Love the big man. Never less than 100% and is a better footballer than he gets credit for. The challenge in the second half in the middle of the six yard box as the saints player was about to pull the trigger was amazing. Should be offered another year at least

Vault Boy
27-01-2019, 07:02 PM
I love Marvin. The best player in his role I've ever seen at the club. Really hope we see him sign a new deal, he's clearly still very fit.

Iggy Pope
27-01-2019, 07:02 PM
Love the big man. Never less than 100% and is a better footballer than he gets credit for. The challenge in the second half in the middle of the six yard box as the saints player was about to pull the trigger was amazing. Should be offered another year at least

It hurt him too and he dragged himself off pitch to avoid playing them onside. Have to love the big fellah.

lyonhibs
27-01-2019, 07:05 PM
The idea, sometimes espoused on here, that he's not good enough and not a type of player we need is laughable IMO.
Needs a McGeouch type next to him to be the one taking the ball off the back 4, but otherwise indispensable.

ShadesLongThrow
27-01-2019, 07:05 PM
And he had a shot! That should be a gif!

matty_f
27-01-2019, 07:07 PM
Marvin is genuinely one of my favourite ever Hibs players.

BILLYHIBS
27-01-2019, 07:08 PM
When the chips are down first name on the team sheet for me unfortunately for him (The Bartman) the last name on the team sheet for Lenny

Gonna miss those random off the wall team selections and formations that make no sense at all to anyone and leave us all guessing how Lenny is going to correct his clear and obvious error long after the match has actually started .......NOT!!

It was obvious to everyone watching the game today how much our club means to Marv due to the fact that he was prepared to put his body on the line for the cause especially in the second half on more than one occasion

LEGEND!!

Mango Man
27-01-2019, 07:09 PM
I can't love the guy enough, he really has been the best defensive midfielder in my 30 years following Hibs, always gives his all.

bigwheel
27-01-2019, 07:13 PM
I can't love the guy enough, he really has been the best defensive midfielder in my 30 years following Hibs, always gives his all.

Phone call for you..Matty Jack wants a word. :wink:

Dublin07
27-01-2019, 07:15 PM
And he had a shot! That should be a gif!

Which was on target!!

Mango Man
27-01-2019, 07:18 PM
Phone call for you..Matty Jack wants a word. :wink:

I think he beats Matty Jack for me, close call, but Marv edges it.

Fergos
27-01-2019, 07:39 PM
Finished the game with half the pitch on his strip from all his scapes and tackles. Proper warrior.

Go on The Bartman.

GGTTH

judas
27-01-2019, 07:43 PM

Love the guy.

Yes. Hopefully the next manager will establish a reasonably consistent 11 which embodies Bartley more often than not. Tough times need tough characters and big Marv is no shirker.

B.H.F.C
27-01-2019, 07:55 PM
Will go against the grain and say that, as much as I’ve liked him in his time at Hibs, I don’t particularly want to see him on the pitch for us next season.

Between now and the end of the season he probably has a part to play, based on what we have. But to get back towards what we saw last year, as opposed to what we are seeing this year, we need better in there IMO.

Billy Whizz
27-01-2019, 07:57 PM
Will go against the grain and say that, as much as I’ve liked him in his time at Hibs, I don’t particularly want to see him on the pitch for us next season.

Between now and the end of the season he probably has a part to play, based on what we have. But to get back towards what we saw last year, as opposed to what we are seeing this year, we need better in there IMO.
Who’s going to play in his role instead

B.H.F.C
27-01-2019, 08:02 PM
Who’s going to play in his role instead

I’d expect/hope that will be sorted in the summer. Bartley is in the team by default IMO, because we didn’t replace the players we lost adequately.

As I say, I think he probably has a role to play between now and the summer, but we need better beyond that.

bingo70
27-01-2019, 08:09 PM

It’s a fair point and I actually agree to an extent.

I still think he’s a good player to have around the squad, even if he’s not playing every week.

MagicSwirlingShip
27-01-2019, 09:08 PM

Kevin Thomson (first time around) was a better defensive midfielder than both IMO

Mango Man
27-01-2019, 09:38 PM
Kevin Thomson (first time around) was a better defensive midfielder than both IMO

KT was certainly more of a baller for sure, I just can't see past big Marv at all, he is a big guy after all 😀

DaveF
27-01-2019, 10:02 PM
I think he beats Matty Jack for me, close call, but Marv edges it.

Not for me. Mathias Jack was tremendous. A very decent player and ruthless with it.

Not In The Know
27-01-2019, 10:41 PM
I’d take him out the team for our next game at tinycastle tho.

���� or is that what our old “best ever manager” would do.

fWIW I thinK Marv is brilliant. ��������