PDA

View Full Version : VAR in the Palace v Spurs game

Hibbyradge
27-01-2019, 04:22 PM
It's use is much less intrusive than it has been.

The ref is making his decision and as the players are getting themselves in position to deal with the free kick/penalty, VAR is being scrutinised in the stand or wherever.

So far, none of the decisions have been overturned and delays have been imperceptible.

I'd like a decision to be changed to see how seamless that would be, but so far, so good. 👍

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2019, 04:41 PM
Very unfair to have VAR used in some FA cup games and not others in my opinion. For instance the Everton result could have been totally different had VAR been available.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Very unfair to have VAR used in some FA cup games and not others in my opinion. For instance the Everton result could have been totally different had VAR been available.

I agree.

The second Millwall goal was handball.

Danderhall Hibs
27-01-2019, 04:58 PM
I thought they did have VAR at the milwall game last night? It wasn’t available at Wimbledon though.

Haymaker
27-01-2019, 04:59 PM

:Agree: you can't have different options/rules for some and not others. VAR implemented for all at cost to the bigger teams or not at all.

CMac1988
27-01-2019, 05:01 PM
I thought they did have VAR at the milwall game last night? It wasn’t available at Wimbledon though.

Wasn't available. No idea as to why though.

Danderhall Hibs
27-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Wasn't available. No idea as to why though.

I’ll admit I wasn’t paying full attention to that game - strange. As has been said it should be available for all games in a tournament or none.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Penalty decision over turned at Stamford Bridge after VAR review. Then Chelsea get penalty at other end and score.

hfcok
In FA cup games it’s only available, on cup ties on Premier grounds only.

CMac1988
VAR just overuled a Sheffield Wednesday penalty initially given by the ref. Correct call. Took a little...

Penalty at the other end?

EDIT.

Penatly given correctly and converted by Whillian.

Like the rugby it adds a little supsense. Definitely makes for a fairer game.

Iggy Pope
27-01-2019, 05:30 PM
VAR just overuled a Sheffield Wednesday penalty initially given by the ref. Correct call. Took a little...

Penalty at the other end?

EDIT.

Penatly given correctly and converted by Whillian.

Like the rugby it adds a little supsense. Definitely makes for a fairer game.

Was a free drop ball the correct decision though when the penalty was overturned. If Luiz is deemed to have played the ball its a corner. How come Chelsea got possession?

CMac1988
27-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Was a free drop ball the correct decision though when the penalty was overturned. If Luiz is deemed to have played the ball its a corner. How come Chelsea got possession?

You're right. I was more concerned with the big decision getting called correct but ultimately it should've been a corner.

Haymaker
27-01-2019, 05:42 PM
In FA cup games it’s only available, on cup ties on Premier grounds only.

Not fair IMO

CapitalGreen
27-01-2019, 05:44 PM

Depends when the ref blew for the penalty. If he blew before the ball rolled out of play, technically play has stopped so it can’t have been a corner.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2019, 05:45 PM

It was the correct decision in line with the use of VAR, overturned decisions are to have game restarted with drop ball regardless of who would have had possession.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2019, 05:46 PM
Depends when the ref blew for the penalty. If he blew before the ball rolled out of play, technically play has stopped so it can’t have been a corner.

Nothing to do with that,it’s the rules of using VAR see my previous post.

Iggy Pope
27-01-2019, 05:49 PM

There’s a fundamental problem with the system then, right there. And I doubt very much he could have blown before the ball went out of play. It was instantaneous.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2019, 05:53 PM
The biggest nonsense was that the Millwall scoreboard showed their goal and it was clear to everyone in the stadium that it was a handball to the extent that the Millwall manager was shouting up at the stand for the tech guys to turn it off.

The Everton players were showing the referee the screen, but he was powerless to change what was an obvious wrong decision.

Everton are wrongly out of the cup and miss out on £millions and a real chance of a trophy.

How anyone can say that travesty is preferable to a few seconds delay now and again during a game, is beyond me.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2019, 05:59 PM
The biggest nonsense was that the Millwall scoreboard showed their goal and it was clear to everyone in the stadium that it was a handball to the extent that the Millwall manager was shouting up at the stand for the tech guys to turn it off.

The Everton players were showing the referee the screen, but he was powerless to change what was an obvious wrong decision.

Everton are wrongly out of the cup and miss out on £millions and a real chance of a trophy.

How anyone can say that travesty is preferable to a few seconds delay now and again during a game, is beyond me.

I don’t really like VAR but my point about the FA cup is that ties in the same round of the same competition are being played under different rules and that is not right.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2019, 06:05 PM
I don’t really like VAR but my point about the FA cup is that ties in the same round of the same competition are being played under different rules and that is not right.

I know and I agreed with you earlier.

I do like VAR and just as well cos it's here to stay.

Scouse Hibee
27-01-2019, 06:12 PM
I know and I agreed with you earlier.

I do like VAR and just as well cos it's here to stay.

Yes it probably is here to stay but there will always be scenarios like the FA cup where it’s not used in certain games. If all ties can’t use it in every round then I believe it should not be used in the cups. Also as you pointed out refs need to learn how to use it during natural breaks in game where they can which makes it seem far less intrusive.