PDA

View Full Version : Stevie Mallan

Unseen work
27-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Absolutley brilliant second half.

Change of shape and he was allowed to play further forward where he began to dominate.

He was allowed to use his energy to press the ball and get forward.

“What does Mallan bring to the team?”

Well 11 goals this season so far in January
1 goal today
1 assist
A superb corner for McGregors goal

Everything good went through him.

Play him further forward and let him do what he is good at. If you expect him to keep shape and break up play then obviously he won’t be the best at it.

2nd half today he was a leader and took responsibility.

Hibeesmad
27-01-2019, 03:28 PM
Good player when played in the right position

Zazu62
27-01-2019, 03:29 PM
He’s an attacking midfielder he’s no gonna be a Dylan McGeouch

cleanyman
27-01-2019, 03:30 PM
Dreadful for the first 50 minutes which is in line for the majority of his Hibs career so far

An excellent last 40 though but that form must continue if he wants to stay here

CLASS OF 72 -73
27-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Thought he was horrendous first half but then they all were bar Rocky. Second half he was MOTM . Still don't think he offers enough but maybe if we stick with two up front will help.

Unseen work
27-01-2019, 03:38 PM
11 goals in 30 games for us.

Outstanding return for a midfielder.

Not bad considering how bad he has been this season.....

Since90+2
27-01-2019, 03:38 PM
11 goals already this season from midfield. When was the last time we had a midfield player that scored around 15 goals in a season?

Hibee Mac
27-01-2019, 03:40 PM
Probably Lennon's single biggest downfall this season was signing him and insisting on playing him deep. Seriously the guy has lost his marbles

brog
27-01-2019, 03:41 PM
Dreadful for the first 50 minutes which is in line for the majority of his Hibs career so far

An excellent last 40 though but that form must continue if he wants to stay here

So 11 goals from midfield in half a season is 'dreadful'. Wish we had a few more dreadful players.

cleanyman
27-01-2019, 03:44 PM
So 11 goals from midfield in half a season is 'dreadful'. Wish we had a few more dreadful players.

You need more from a midfielder than what Mallan is offering

That first 50 from him and in line with the rest of the team was pathetic.

Its all irrelvant though as the team stepped up in the second half

Since90+2
27-01-2019, 03:45 PM
You need more from a midfielder than what Mallan is offering

That first 50 from him and in line with the rest of the team was pathetic.

Its all irrelvant though as the team stepped up in the second half

If Mallan continues his scoring form in the second half of the season he will have banged in around 20 goals from midfield. There's not many players in Scotland that have done that in recent years.

TelaStella
27-01-2019, 03:57 PM
Welcome back Stevie Mallan, so much better today. Any idea why he gets so much pelters from the saints end? Seems a lot more to it than him just being a former player

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cabbageandribs1875
27-01-2019, 03:57 PM

probably Pat McGinlay our last midfielder to do that

500miles
27-01-2019, 04:03 PM
Tip of a diamond from now on, 2 strikers gives him options for the pass and someone to play him in.

SChibs
27-01-2019, 04:04 PM

Recently we've had midfielder that do everything but score goals. Now we have mallan who most if the time scores and assists but does nothing else! I do think there is more to come from Mallan though he's just been played too deep and today showed what he can do when further forward

brog
27-01-2019, 04:58 PM
probably Pat McGinlay our last midfielder to do that

Good shout. Pat reached double figures 3 times with his best being 14.

Centre Hawf
27-01-2019, 05:13 PM
Play him deeper and he gets lost. Play him further up and he scores goals. Seems an easy choice. But he needs to improve other areas of his game.

MrRobot
27-01-2019, 05:16 PM

Outstanding run for a midfielder who is apparently ***** and useless.

Ozyhibby
27-01-2019, 05:20 PM
Tip of the diamond is his best position and I thought it strange that Lennon was playing him so deep.
Problem is, that is likely Gaulds best position and Scott Allan’s.
We need to sign a top quality holding mid if those three are playing together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sean04
27-01-2019, 05:23 PM
Major part of his game is shooting, so why have him further up the park arriving on to things at the edge of the box. No good as battling midfielder. Can't mix it, can't tackle. Wants to make nice passes and get shots on goal

hibbyfraelibby
11 goals already this season from midfield. When was the last time we had a midfield player that scored around 15 goals in a season?

9 of which were not from open play. If this was American Football he would have been the special teams kicker brought off the bench to take kicks on goal.

J-C
Attacking midfielder in behind the strikers is where he plays best, stop trying to turn him into McGeouch and let him play, seemingly Gauld has been playing the deeper role in Portugal recently, maybe playing him there might help.

hibsfan7
27-01-2019, 05:25 PM
If you play him in his proper position then he will be ok

Since90+2
27-01-2019, 05:28 PM
9 of which were not from open play. If this was American Football he would have been the special teams kicker brought off the bench to take kicks on goal.

A goals a goal.

HibeeMackenzie
27-01-2019, 05:34 PM

I can think of at least 5 from open play

Shrekko
27-01-2019, 05:35 PM

Absolute tripe.

Fantastic passer, great crosser and excellent striker of a ball.

The criticism has been, even by Hibs fans standards, incredible.

The Modfather
27-01-2019, 05:49 PM
Absolute tripe.

I think the criticism has been merited, but in his defence Lennon had been trying to shoehorn him into an area of the pitch that negates all his positive attributes.

Aim Here
27-01-2019, 07:31 PM
On a related note, anyone catch what the St Mirren fans were singing to the tune of 'The Great Escape'? It was clearly uncomplimentary about Stevie Mallan and he shut them up with that third goal, but I am just curious what they had against him!

Smartie
27-01-2019, 07:38 PM
Absolute tripe.

He's been an ever-present in a midfield that has been hopeless all season after being the best in the country last season.

On here the criticism has been fierce but I've not heard much criticism at games, as I think most people appreciate that he brings excellent attributes to our side.

Today's game was as clear as it has ever been to see what he can offer when played in an advanced position. Today's game was as clear as it has ever been to see how much of a liability he is when played elsewhere.

To Mallan's credit his head has never once gone down, and he has never once given less than 100%. When he's had poor games (and he's had many) it has been because he has been forced to play in a role that leaves him horribly exposed.

In many ways an argument could be made that the criticism has been mild when compared to what other players have experienced in the past.

Billy Whizz
27-01-2019, 07:42 PM
Where should Mallon be playing, and in what system?

Squealing pig
27-01-2019, 07:43 PM
Glad to see some praise for the lad , there’s a player in there and I hope he can kick on in bigger games

Smartie
27-01-2019, 07:46 PM
Where should Mallon be playing, and in what system?

Tip of the diamond.

At a push, second striker.

Nowhere near "the engine room" or picking the ball up off the defence.

I don't think he can play in a central midfield pair and I think you'd need to be very careful playing him in a middle 3.

I also have no idea how he'd fit into a team with Scott Allan.

If it's going to be 100 mph kick and rush hoofing match (games vs Hearts and Aberdeen) I'd think long and hard before starting him.

He might also be an "impact player" who comes on later in games when legs are tiring and space is starting to open up.

Billy Whizz
27-01-2019, 07:47 PM
Tip of the diamond.

At a push, second striker.

Nowhere near "the engine room" or picking the ball up off the defence.

I don't think he can play in a central midfield pair and I think you'd need to be very careful playing him in a middle 3.

I also have no idea how he'd fit into a team with Scott Allan.

Don’t disagree. So why did we sign Gauld?

Brightside
27-01-2019, 07:50 PM
This place is unreal. Utter rubbish according to half the match daybthread. All players have positives and negatives. A good set up will find the best in these players. Same goes for Slivka Horgan Kamberi.

Smartie
27-01-2019, 07:50 PM

Mallan hasn't really had a chance in a line-up that suits him yet. I had assumed that he was going to be binned and that Gauld was going to take his place.

Gauld is a lot quicker, sharper and better under pressure than Mallan (as is Slivka) and I'd play him deeper.

James Stephen
27-01-2019, 08:23 PM
This place is unreal. Utter rubbish according to half the match daybthread. All players have positives and negatives. A good set up will find the best in these players. Same goes for Slivka Horgan Kamberi.

Exactly, thats the whole point of a team. One person's strength covers for anothers weakness. Mallan brings a huge amount, its up to the manager (whoever he may be) to find a way of accentuating his positives.

WeeRussell
27-01-2019, 08:43 PM
His goal return is heading towards one that we struggle to get from strikers since Cummings left, never mind an “awful” midfielder.

Keep plugging away Stevie. You’ve been a good signing.

Centre Hawf
27-01-2019, 09:03 PM
His goal return is heading towards one that we struggle to get from strikers since Cummings left, never mind an “awful” midfielder.

Keep plugging away Stevie. You’ve been a good signing.

He’s scored 5 goals in the league. Thats good. But it doesn’t paper over the cracks for the anonymous performances he’s put in for the past 2+ months.

MyJo
27-01-2019, 09:18 PM
He’s scored 5 goals in the league. Thats good. But it doesn’t paper over the cracks for the anonymous performances he’s put in for the past 2+ months.

He was being asked to play a role and position within the team that didn’t suit him, alongside other players playing out of position, out of form or simply uninterested in playing for Hibs.

Maybe that had something to do with his poor performances?

B.H.F.C
27-01-2019, 09:32 PM
I’m still sure there is a player in there. Difficult to argue that lately given some of his performances but today showed what he can do if he’s in the right areas.

Centre Hawf
27-01-2019, 09:34 PM
He was being asked to play a role and position within the team that didn’t suit him, alongside other players playing out of position, out of form or simply uninterested in playing for Hibs.

Maybe that had something to do with his poor performances?

I don’t really disagree with any of that. But he’s still not performed in his current role.

marinello59
27-01-2019, 09:39 PM
I wasn’t impressed with Mallan at the game today. I’ve just watched the game again and shows just how wrong you can be. A superb second half. The change of formation was perfect for him.

Pretty Boy
27-01-2019, 09:44 PM
If Mallan can replicate his 2nd half today or his perfomance v Celtic at ER on a consistent basis there will be no room to criticise him.

He's obviously got it. For whatever reason he's not been showing it regularly. Here's hoping we can find a system that gets the best from him, allows him to play and get shots away and covers for his lack of mobility.

J-C
27-01-2019, 10:48 PM

A question Lennon needs to answer, there's a few players Lennon signed and we've scratched our heads at, this is why our midfield has been so imbalanced.

blackpoolhibs
27-01-2019, 10:57 PM
If Mallan plays like he did in the 2nd half today, then we wont be hearing a peep out of anyone about his form.

If he plays like he did in the first half, then of course folk will moan about his contribution. Its clear that he needs to play further forward, if he does that then i'm sure he will play better for us.

Coco Bryce
27-01-2019, 11:07 PM
If Mallan plays like he did in the 2nd half today, then we wont be hearing a peep out of anyone about his form.

If he plays like he did in the first half, then of course folk will moan about his contribution. Its clear that he needs to play further forward, if he does that then i'm sure he will play better for us.

How could Lennon not see this. That's the worrying thing for me. It's blatantly obvious, just like 2 up front.

1van Sprou7e
28-01-2019, 10:37 AM
How could Lennon not see this. That's the worrying thing for me. It's blatantly obvious, just like 2 up front.

Because he had some very good performances playing deep

Vs Celtic and in the 2nd half at home to asteras come to mind

Smartie
28-01-2019, 11:12 AM
Because he had some very good performances playing deep

Vs Celtic and in the 2nd half at home to asteras come to mind

That's not nearly enough considering how often he's been played there.

I don't really want to be bashing Mallan today though. He was immense late in the game yesterday and he contributed as much as anyone to a gritty victory.

makaveli1875
28-01-2019, 11:39 AM
Mallans talents are his little through balls and passes around the box , quick feet and shooting . Tackling and long range passing are not his strengths and thats what he was being asked to do
Play him further forward and his talent will shine through like it did yesterday

Aim Here
28-01-2019, 11:45 AM

It wasn't obvious in the summer, when we got the players in that we needed four at the back (which is now also obvious) - so we expected to continue playing 3-5-2, and so in summer the team was a bit overly stacked with wingers and more attack-minded midfielders (we only got Milligan in after the transfer window closed). All it takes is for an injury or a suspension or Milligan on international duty, and we end up needing one of the likes of Horgan/Hyndman/Mallan or now Gauld to be tracking back as a more defensive mid. It's just that Mallan drew the short straw.

Basically the problem was unbalanced recruitment in the summer - caused by not anticipating that what worked last season wouldn't keep working this one - rather than Lenny actually being unable to see the obvious. It was still his mistake, but it's an understandable one.

SChibs
28-01-2019, 02:18 PM
How good was it to see a hibs midfielder making a run into the box and getting a strike away first time. Not something we see very often!

Unseen work
28-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Mallans talents are his little through balls and passes around the box , quick feet and shooting . Tackling and long range passing are not his strengths and thats what he was being asked to do
Play him further forward and his talent will shine through like it did yesterday

Disagree about long range passing, think his is exceptional and there wouldn’t be many better in the league than him at it. His one for Gray yesterday was outstanding.

Tackling, keeping shape, breaking up play etc though is not his game.

We saw his closing down worked when he went a bit further forward as he was allowed to press and run about knowing he had Slivka and Bartley behind him.