PDA

View Full Version : Does anybody think we would have come from behind like that under Lennon?

HibeeHibernian4
27-01-2019, 02:21 PM
This isn't a thread to bash Lennon, but I am simply asking the question.

We hadn't won after going behind first 11 times this season.

If we had gone in trailing 1-0 under Lennon, he would have probably gone absolutely mental at the players and it may not have solved anything.

We play two up top with Mallan further forward for the first time ages and we look like a team reborn.

Onwards and upwards, I say.

Diclonius
27-01-2019, 02:25 PM
This season, no.

Last season, we were the comeback kings. The flashpoint was the coin incident at Tynecastle.

ArmadaleHibs
27-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Irrelevant

heretoday
27-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Probably.

Hibeesmad
We won the game. Let’s move on

calumhibee1
Irrelevant

I don’t think we would have came from behind but I agree with this. Time to move on now and kick on up the league. Onwards and upwards.

Itsnoteasy
27-01-2019, 02:27 PM
This isn't a thread to bash Lennon, but I am simply asking the question.

We hadn't won after going behind first 11 times this season.

If we had gone in trailing 1-0 under Lennon, he would have probably gone absolutely mental at the players and it may not have solved anything.

We play two up top with Mallan further forward for the first time ages and we look like a team reborn.

Onwards and upwards, I say.

Don't think we have came back from behind all season so it would have to be a no.

Since90+2
27-01-2019, 02:27 PM
This season? Absolutely no chance. Lennon would have went absolutely ballistic at half time and the players would not have reacted like that.

Seekyit
27-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Think that's the first time this season we've come from behind and won in the league.

Allant1981
27-01-2019, 02:29 PM
Probably as st mirren aren't very good

Weegreenman
27-01-2019, 02:30 PM
I don’t think we would have. I think he lost the dressing room with his man management. Not taking sides but that’s the bottom line. David Gray would certainly not have been in that line up. He offers us so much. I don’t see why Lenny wouldn’t play him, unless the rumours of a fall out were true? :confused:

500miles
27-01-2019, 02:31 PM
There was a lot of belief in that second half. Sometimes instructions are better than a bollocking.

California-Hibs
27-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Yes, we would have. We are generally much better in 2nd halfs.

hibby6270
27-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Hadn’t won a league game this season after going behind...... until today.
Doesn’t answer the thread title question ..... but...... that stat says a lot imo.

The 90+2
27-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Not a hope.

The 90+2
27-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Yes, we would have. We are generally much better in 2nd halfs.

Who was that down to? Probably not getting a complete bollocking would have helped.

Scottie
27-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Had to happen some time this season and it was against the bottom club so lets not get too excited. Great 3 points though :aok:

Hibee Mac
27-01-2019, 02:41 PM
This season - not a chance

Last season - absolutely

Unseen work
27-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Think he would have brought Omeonga on for Horgan and put Gauld wide.

Would have lost that game based on this season.

Stevie Reid
27-01-2019, 02:47 PM
We were six games into last season before we scored first in a game (W 2 D 2 L 1) and came back from being behind to draw or win on 11 occasions in the league.

We’ll never know, but we’ve plenty previous under Lennon.

lyonhibs
27-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Meh. We came back plenty under Lennon, but not this season.

Couldn't care less tbh. He's gone, ciao ciao, and we move forwards without him.

rotherhamrob
27-01-2019, 03:02 PM
I don't know how anyone can say no as we'll never know.
Just grateful for the win and hopefully it will give the team some confidence, that's all that is important right now.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2019, 03:06 PM
To answer the question, I'm 100% certain someone thinks we would have.

If you think we would have, you're probably right.

If you think we wouldn't have, you're probably right.

All that matters is that we did.

Prof. Shaggy
27-01-2019, 03:08 PM
What about Asteras, then?

The 90+2
27-01-2019, 03:12 PM

👍👍

Billy McKirdy
27-01-2019, 03:12 PM
Don’t worry about a thing because every little things gonna be alright 💚💚

Sas_The_Hibby
27-01-2019, 03:42 PM
Don’t worry about a thing because every little things gonna be alright 💚💚

Source?

Keith_M
27-01-2019, 03:47 PM
Can't we just enjoy the win without the digs at Lennon?

Wilson
27-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Can't we just enjoy the win without the digs at Lennon?

No.

sauzee6_2
28-01-2019, 07:16 AM
With the uncertainty around his position I find myself asking if we would have won with him in charge yesterday?

Personally, I think we would have lost. Can picture him getting laid into the players at half time (assuming we would be 1-0 down), destroying any confidence that was left and we would have lost 2/3 - 0.

On that basis, I believe the club have made the correct decision.

Wakeyhibee
28-01-2019, 07:23 AM
I don't think we can draw any conclusions other than this team as it is, is capable of getting results. It could have been so easy for heads to go down after 0-1 with what's gone on.

hibbydad
I think you are totally correct Sauzee

Paloschi
With the uncertainty around his position I find myself asking if we would have won with him in charge yesterday?

Personally, I think we would have lost. Can picture him getting laid into the players at half time (assuming we would be 1-0 down), destroying any confidence that was left and we would have lost 2/3 - 0.

No, Shaw was the turning point and I don't think we would have seen him until the 75th min. He'd have probably thrown Omeoga or Murray on for Horgan IMO. Shaw has been our best attacking player this season and should always play.

Coco Bryce
28-01-2019, 07:26 AM
No, Shaw was the turning point and I don't think we would have seen him until the 75th min. He'd have probably thrown Omeoga or Murray on for Horgan IMO. Shaw has been our best attacking player this season and should always play.

The turning point was Horgan going off injured and May being forced to put Shaw on thus playing two up from. This allowed Mallan to also push up.

If Horgan didn't get injured I would imagine he would have persisted with one up top.

Aim Here
28-01-2019, 08:39 AM
The notion that we've not had any comebacks this year is wrong - we've had plenty of games where we've rescued a draw from being behind, at least one (Livi) where we pulled into the lead from a goal down, and three games (Runavik, Asteras, Ross County) where Hibs won from one or two goals down, though not in the league.

Lenny's tactics have been somewhat dubious as of late and it's likely he wouldn't have made the exact same substitutions, but the idea he wouldn't have taken off a midfielder so that Shaw could pair up with Kamberi is also silly, given he did do exactly that against Motherwell on Wednesday - at more or less the same stage in the match.

Johnny Clash
28-01-2019, 09:01 AM

With all the uncertainty around Neil Lennon’s position I think we would have won by at least five goals. SDG would have stepped up to the plate and made a passionate speech at half time and told a few home truths. ‘We ain’t no boy band’ so let’s get out there and play for the jersey, we have hundreds of Hibees out there making an effort to support the club we love so we owe them big time” . There you go... and on that basis I believe the club have yet to make any decision.

Carheenlea
28-01-2019, 09:08 AM
Stevie Mallan in his interview after game had said that there were some harsh woes from Eddie May about their first half performance, but whatever was said had the team playing with a bit more zip and confidence. The team naturally looked better with the addition of Oli Shaw, which was the biggest factor in turning the game round in our favour.

Heisenberg
28-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Going by the stats for this season then no, we wouldn’t have. We hadn’t won a game after going behind all season until yesterday.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Going by the stats for this season then no, we wouldn’t have. We hadn’t won a game after going behind all season until yesterday.

We were 2 down to Asteras. We won 3-2.

Mind you, we hadn't suffered any injuries by then ...

Lago
28-01-2019, 09:52 AM
This season, no.

Last season, we were the comeback kings. The flashpoint was the coin incident at Tynecastle.
Yes, why not?

The Modfather
28-01-2019, 09:58 AM

You should just go the whole hog and change your username to “Injuries” :wink: :greengrin

pacoluna
28-01-2019, 10:36 AM

Remember, people who don't like Lennon don't like facts like this

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 10:37 AM
You should just go the whole hog and change your username to “Injuries” :wink: :greengrin

I'm glad someone got my point 😁

Onion
28-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Lennon is worthy of more than one game as testamomy of his time at Hibs. For 2 seasons solid I saw a Hibs team with more guts, drive and neversaydie attitude than I’ve seen in decades, all because of Lennon. That’s gone now, but it was a privilege to watch at the time.

MWHIBBIES
28-01-2019, 11:10 AM

Also behind twice to Ross County in the cup.

JeMeSouviens
28-01-2019, 11:22 AM

Shaw played well and took his goal well but the turning point was the change of shape, which I think happened a little before he came on. If my eyes didn't deceive me, Horgan was limping around more centrally before he went off. Slivka (who doesn't seem to be getting a lot of love on here but I thought was immense 2nd half) playing centrally and Mallan and Gauld getting the ball higher up the pitch made the difference.

Heisenberg
28-01-2019, 11:22 AM

Ah sorry, I didn’t even think about Europe or the cups! Stat I saw yesterday was based on league results.

MyJo
28-01-2019, 11:30 AM
Lennon is worthy of more than one game as testamomy of his time at Hibs. For 2 seasons solid I saw a Hibs team with more guts, drive and neversaydie attitude than I’ve seen in decades, all because of Lennon. That’s gone now, but it was a privilege to watch at the time.

Or maybe it was McGinn? It all seems to have gone to s*** since he left and if it was Lennon making us world beaters then why has he been unable to do it with this squad of players that he has signed?

HibeeHibernian4
28-01-2019, 12:59 PM

Remember, people who don't like Lennon don't like facts like this

An absolute disaster of a starting line up (with Slivka playing RWB and Gray on the bench) saw us 2-0 down at half time. Only when Lennon *(uncharacteristically) swallowed his pride and changed things at half time did we turn things around. David Gray, who Lennon does not seem to like picking, was instrumental in this win, too. The much maligned Florian Kamberi also scored the winner that night. That game was won almost in spite of Neil Lennon.

pacoluna
28-01-2019, 01:29 PM
An absolute disaster of a starting line up (with Slivka playing RWB and Gray on the bench) saw us 2-0 down at half time. Only when Lennon *(uncharacteristically) swallowed his pride and changed things at half time did we turn things around. David Gray, who Lennon does not seem to like picking, was instrumental in this win, too. The much maligned Florian Kamberi also scored the winner that night. That game was won almost in spite of Neil Lennon.

You prove my point, disregarding facts with whataboutery.

HibeeHibernian4
28-01-2019, 01:37 PM

Is it a fact that Vykintas Slivka started at right back against Asteras Tripolis and David Gray was brought on at half time, or is that somehow whataboutery in your book?

Northernhibee
28-01-2019, 01:41 PM

You're going back half a year to try and prove your point pal, considering a big argument about Lennon was how stubborn he is that's not a good look.

pacoluna
28-01-2019, 02:36 PM
You're going back half a year to try and prove your point pal, considering a big argument about Lennon was how stubborn he is that's not a good look.

No point to prove, facts are there for all to see. As mentioned before some peoples speciality on this forum is trying to rewrite history.

The Modfather
28-01-2019, 02:52 PM

I’d disagree with the bit in bold. I think in the main Lennon has been good at changing things where it isn’t working. Where I have criticism is that a number of times e.g. the Aberdeen semi and McGeough wide left, Lennon has set us up incorrectly from the start in some of the big games and we left ourselves too much to do to recover. That being said there’s also numerous examples of him getting things right, particularly against the Old Firm.

Broken Gnome
28-01-2019, 02:54 PM
Home to Asteras, Ross County, Livi, St Mirren, Aberdeen.

Away to Rangers and St Johnstone.

Been behind in all, taken a point.

HibeeHibernian4
28-01-2019, 02:55 PM
Home to Asteras, Ross County, Livi, St Mirren, Aberdeen.

Away to Rangers and St Johnstone.

Been behind in all, taken a point.

Ooh, a point at home to bottom club St Mirren? I'm convinced now.

allmodcons
28-01-2019, 02:57 PM

That's what you call being (very) selective.

Broken Gnome
28-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Apparently we had ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of turning that around yesterday if Lennon was still in charge. So there you go.

Iggy Pope
28-01-2019, 03:10 PM

Does that not make you sound a wee bit daft? A few examples and you go all Kenneth Williams on us.

Northernhibee
28-01-2019, 03:27 PM

We won two of those. One (Asteras) we were behind due to baffling team selection and was half a year ago, the other was against a lower league team. Both at home.

I have no doubt we'd at best have gotten a point yesterday and more than likely got nothing.

HibeeHibernian4
28-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Apparently we had ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE of turning that around yesterday if Lennon was still in charge. So there you go.

From 1-0 down to a convincing 3-1 win? No, I don't think so.

Going 1-0 down at home to St Mirren, equalising only to fall behind again and get a late equaliser is not the impressive claim you think it is.

Northernhibee
28-01-2019, 03:30 PM
No point to prove, facts are there for all to see. As mentioned before some peoples speciality on this forum is trying to rewrite history.
We weren't talking about history, we were talking about yesterday. I hope that we aren't going to rewrite history and pretend that Lennon's been even decent these last three months.

Broken Gnome
28-01-2019, 03:47 PM
From 1-0 down to a convincing 3-1 win? No, I don't think so.

Going 1-0 down at home to St Mirren, equalising only to fall behind again and get a late equaliser is not the impressive claim you think it is.

I'm not saying it was impressive. It doesn't have to be a complete polar opposite though, does it?

allmodcons
28-01-2019, 03:59 PM

We won two of those. One (Asteras) we were behind due to baffling team selection and was half a year ago, the other was against a lower league team. Both at home.

I have no doubt we'd at best have gotten a point yesterday and more than likely got nothing.

So you don't agree that he was being selective?

It's also impossible to say how the match would have gone yesterday with NL in charge.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Stupid, pointless f*****g thread.

I wish I hadn't read it, never mind contribute to it.

Bring back the tiresome arguing.

And the puns.

One Day Soon
28-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Does that not make you sound a wee bit daft? A few examples and you go all Kenneth Williams on us.

:faf: Kenneth Williams. Love it. Thought he was great in all the Carry On films, which seems strangely appropriate for this thread.

Sir David Gray
28-01-2019, 07:57 PM
If their striker had actually done the simple thing and shot at goal when Marciano had come out to block him when it was 1-0 then it wouldn't have mattered who was in charge. A decent striker would have made that 2-0 and the match would have probably been over.

beensaidbefore
28-01-2019, 08:11 PM

👍