PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 1st and 2nd half

we are hibs
27-01-2019, 02:21 PM
Was night and day.

First half was the usual long balls up the park and a team who looked like they'd just met. Players in positions they look uncomfortable in.

2nd half back to what we are good at. getting the ball in the ground, people looking for the ball. People in positions that they feel comfortable in.

Much better. More of the 2nd half and less of the first please

cleanyman
27-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Credit to Eddie May for changing the formation

Nevi_SOL
27-01-2019, 02:23 PM
Oli shaw changed that game and Stevie Mallan stepped up and took control of the game.

Fritz
27-01-2019, 02:24 PM
Oli Shaw.

SChibs
Fantastic second half, shows us all the ability is there to get results. Let's kick on

Peevemor
Credit to Eddie May for changing the formation

He didn't want to though. It was only because Horgan didn't run off his injury after HT.

Anyway, hopefully the win will be good for the players' confidence.

alihibs1
2 upfront everyweek please

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hibee_girl
27-01-2019, 02:25 PM
He didn't want to though. It was only because Horgan didn't run off his injury after HT.

He could have easily put another midfielder on for Horgan though

hibby6270
27-01-2019, 02:25 PM
2 up front made the difference.
At half time I feared for the rest of our season.
Second half has given us hope. A light at end of the tunnel.
Not going overboard by any means but a step in the right direction.

cleanyman
27-01-2019, 02:26 PM

Wit

He still made a good change and mixed it up

Waxy
27-01-2019, 02:26 PM
Both Shaw and Kamberi need to have a strike partner.

kentao
27-01-2019, 02:28 PM
Massive 3 points for the confidence and showed real bottle to come back from a goal down. Rocky kept us in the game with 2 terrific saves. Onwards to the next game and hopefully the same formation as we ended the game with.

SMAXXA
For me the difference was this ‘round pegs in round holes’

Mallan isn’t a holding midfielder
Slivka more central
2 up top
Actually tried to pass the ball and get In behind
Bartley martialing doing the spoiling side

Brilliant 3 points delighted for the club at the end of what’s been a horrendously difficult period

Unseen work
Oil Shaw will get the credit and he was very good when he came on.

But for me, the change of shape was critical.

Slivka’s energy in the middle of the park and ability to go past someone created space for other, showed real bravery to do that in a pressured game where he was poor first half imo.

Mallan further forward who dominated it.

SRHibs
27-01-2019, 02:29 PM
For me the difference was this ‘round pegs in round holes’

Mallan isn’t a holding midfielder
Slivka more central
2 up top
Actually tried to pass the ball and get In behind
Bartley martialing doing the spoiling side

Brilliant 3 points delighted for the club at the end of what’s been a horrendously difficult period

Both Mallan and Silvka looked great. Was nice to see Slivka making driving runs from pretty deep, and Mallan looked like a completely new player.

heretoday
27-01-2019, 02:30 PM
We had the sun in our eyes first half.

It's not rocket science. 🚀

lyonhibs
27-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Two. Up. Top.

Time to do away with the Lennon menagerie of formations. Without wishing to sound like Mike Bassett, with the players we have right now, it's 4-4-****ing-2 for me.

MWHIBBIES
27-01-2019, 02:34 PM
Slivka in the middle, 2 strikers. Hibs win.

Since90+2
27-01-2019, 02:36 PM
Mallan playing in a more advanced position. 1 assist and 1 goal speaks for itself.

A Hi-Bee
27-01-2019, 02:41 PM

Only realised that Horgan was playing when he got injured around 40mins.

silverhibee
27-01-2019, 02:46 PM
Leeann's team talk at HT done the trick.

coldingham hibs
27-01-2019, 03:22 PM
Big difference was also the passing actually went in front of the player instead of behind. In the first half we were constantly passing short resulting in no forward motion.

NAE NOOKIE
27-01-2019, 03:23 PM
In the first half we looked like a pub league team and not a very good one. It wasn't just the formation it was dismal passing, as it was at Motherwell, players unable to hold up the ball and little or no movement either.

Second half, the passing got better, players were making better decisions and we pushed further up the park …. from a first half where I wouldn't have put a bad penny on us winning the game to a second where we could have scored 4 or 5 … it was a remarkable transformation. Mind you, if it hadn't been for Rocky we might still not have won, so a lot of work still required to sort this team out.

PeeJay
27-01-2019, 03:45 PM
Don't think people should get too carried away with the 2nd half performance - St Mirren could easily have gone 2 or 3 up before we equalised Marciano made 2 outstanding saves. Our equaliser gave us a huge boost - 3 points away from home - 1st half awful, 2nd half decent.

InchHibby
27-01-2019, 03:51 PM
The difference was as has already been posted, two up front, you never completely go out to win a game with one striker, it’s more of a let’s not lose this.
Two up front always and at least if you get beat you’ve given it your best shot.
Good change by May, we’ll done to the team for not giving up. GGTTH

BoomtownHibees
27-01-2019, 03:59 PM
The difference was as has already been posted, two up front, you never completely go out to win a game with one striker, it’s more of a let’s not lose this.
Two up front always and at least if you get beat you’ve given it your best shot.
Good change by May, we’ll done to the team for not giving up. GGTTH

Do you think we went out to beat Elgin last week with just the 1 striker? It isn’t always as negative as what some folk make out.

The change certainly helped today however it looked like the shape had already been changed before Shaw came on

Liberal Hibby
27-01-2019, 04:06 PM
I also think Whittaker showed a huge amount of leadership - that time in the second half when he won the ball with his head off the St Mirren player and burst forward and we almost scored changed the game. We suddenly had self belief and confidence to play.

hibsbollah
27-01-2019, 04:09 PM
Delighted for the players who have had their characters as well as their ability questioned this week. Well done to all involved, can't wait to see the highlights.

hibeg
27-01-2019, 04:16 PM
As others have pointed out Sliv moving more central with Mallan pushing forward was imo crucial. Oli more than played his part with his goal and assist. There is a player there :aok:

heretoday
27-01-2019, 04:28 PM
I also think Whittaker showed a huge amount of leadership - that time in the second half when he won the ball with his head off the St Mirren player and burst forward and we almost scored changed the game. We suddenly had self belief and confidence to play.

He's a Hibs man.

scooby
27-01-2019, 05:24 PM
Why we were playing one of the worst teams in the league with one striker is anyone's guess, but thankfully that changed in the second half and so did the game.

BoomtownHibees
27-01-2019, 05:27 PM
Why we were playing one of the worst teams in the league with one striker is anyone's guess, but thankfully that changed in the second half and so did the game.

We played with one striker against a League 2 team a week ago and that worked out alright

Borderhibbie76
27-01-2019, 06:45 PM
2 up front made the difference.
At half time I feared for the rest of our season.
Second half has given us hope. A light at end of the tunnel.
Not going overboard by any means but a step in the right direction.Agreed I said to my mate at half time at the match if we lose today it's hard to see where we go from here...45 mins later and everything looked a lot rosier. Well done Hibs and young Oli who changed the game. Great to see Mallan more involved too...just goes to show he's much more comfortable playing further forward...it's no rocket science

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Eyrie
27-01-2019, 07:37 PM
We played with one striker against a League 2 team a week ago and that worked out alright

The standard of opposition last Saturday was a major factor. We struggled in the first half today against a better organised defence.

Mutu
27-01-2019, 07:52 PM
Disagree with the claim that we suddenly started passing it through midfield in the second half.

We didn't.

We kept on lumping long balls up to Kamberi but the difference was that when Horgan was taken off we switched to a narrower midfield. After that we were able to start winning 2nd balls and were able to build from there. It worked a treat but had little to do with Barkley, Slivka and Mallan suddenly turning it on and dictating the midfield (at 2-1 up we had an average 13% possession in their half at one point).

Biggest problem Hibs will have moving forward is getting bossed in midfield. At home when teams sit a little further back I think we will do better, in particular Gauld, but away from home when the midfield gets less time I expect more of the same.

Only caveat being that Omeonga looks like he has potential to add a bit of quality in that area. I hope he gets a run.