PDA

View Full Version : Eddie may: A star is born

BILLYHIBS
27-01-2019, 05:29 AM
I remember Eddie May as being a very good young player for HIBS

A dynamic pocket battleship box to box midfielder who would arrive in the box with late runs and score his fair share of important goals

I remember back in 1986 in a Scottish Cup Quarter Final against a high flying Celtic side he came on as a sub with “Bomber Harris” and scored the winner with a diving header in a 4-3 victory at Easter Road

It was the second time we had eliminated Celtic from Cup competition that season as we had knocked them out of the League Cup on penalties after a thrilling 4-4 draw at Easter Road

When Eddie May scored the fourth goal in the Scottish Cup I was in a packed East which back then was nothing more than a glorified shed the crowd pushed forward and swayed I found myself down the front and this old guy grabbed me and declared “ Eddie May a star is born!”

I also remember he scored a late winner versus Hearts with one of his late runs at Easter Road in my late fathers last derby

Can Eddie May do an Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and reinvigorate the team by treating each player with respect and letting them play in their favoured position and allowing them the freedom to express themselves and by reinstalling a sense of fun of solidarity unity and togetherness that for whatever reason has been sadly lacking this hellish season or is he a Kenny McDowall type character one of a Gang of Four or Five together with Grant Murray still loyal to Neil Lennon who is simply seeing out his contractual obligations?

Who knows? A win today might put him in the frame. Like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer he is well respected by the players especially the young players and has a sound Hibernian background and knows what we are all about and where we expect to be

Cmon HIBS let’s get back to the football the nation is watching us today expecting a reaction and we badly need the three points

J-C
27-01-2019, 05:37 AM
Not if reports are true and he's loyal to Lennon.

we are hibs
27-01-2019, 05:46 AM
He was an absolute disaster as falkirk manager iirc.

AlbertK86
27-01-2019, 06:17 AM
Seemingly has a hardline and aloof attitude with the youths. Grant Murray is seemingly the one with the ‘arm around the shoulder approach’

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

madbadlad
27-01-2019, 06:28 AM
Let's just get behind him and get a win today.

SMAXXA
27-01-2019, 06:35 AM
Seemingly has a hardline and aloof attitude with the youths. Grant Murray is seemingly the one with the ‘arm around the shoulder approach’

Not very well liked across the board he’s a bit of a tosser in football circles

Stokesy's on fire
27-01-2019, 07:03 AM
He was an absolute disaster as falkirk manager iirc.

Yup i used to watch his interviews he used to go into meltdown...he seemed to hate Yogi

JimBHibees
27-01-2019, 07:05 AM

Yet it does look like he had a decent record at Falkirk for bringing through young players and I would say we seem to be getting better in that regard here so if he is doing a decent job good on him.

Hope him and Grant do well today and get a bit of luck.

Beefster
27-01-2019, 07:10 AM
Nah. May already has a full-time job. We need a Head Coach with either a lot of potential and a bit of something about him or the experience that suggests he can move us on.

Barney McGrew
27-01-2019, 07:14 AM

I wouldn’t believe everything you read in The Sun.

Hibbyradge
27-01-2019, 07:24 AM
I remember those games, Billy, but I would be surprised, and disappointed, if May got the job longer term.

tynehibs
27-01-2019, 07:41 AM
I remember Eddie May as being a very good young player for HIBS

A dynamic pocket battleship box to box midfielder who would arrive in the box with late runs and score his fair share of important goals

I remember back in 1986 in a Scottish Cup Quarter Final against a high flying Celtic side he came on as a sub with “Bomber Harris” and scored the winner with a diving header in a 4-3 victory at Easter Road

It was the second time we had eliminated Celtic from Cup competition that season as we had knocked them out of the League Cup on penalties after a thrilling 4-4 draw at Easter Road

When Eddie May scored the fourth goal in the Scottish Cup I was in a packed East which back then was nothing more than a glorified shed the crowd pushed forward and swayed I found myself down the front and this old guy grabbed me and declared “ Eddie May a star is born!”

I also remember he scored a late winner versus Hearts with one of his late runs at Easter Road in my late fathers last derby

Can Eddie May do an Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and reinvigorate the team by treating each player with respect and letting them play in their favoured position and allowing them the freedom to express themselves and by reinstalling a sense of fun of solidarity unity and togetherness that for whatever reason has been sadly lacking this hellish season or is he a Kenny McDowall type character one of a Gang of Four or Five together with Grant Murray still loyal to Neil Lennon who is simply seeing out his contractual obligations?

Who knows? A win today might put him in the frame. Like Ole Gunnar Solskjaer he is well respected by the players especially the young players and has a sound Hibernian background and knows what we are all about and where we expect to be

Cmon HIBS let’s get back to the football the nation is watching us today expecting a reaction and we badly need the three points

Was at both these outstanding games you mention, was that the same season we played them in a friendly at ER and benny got a hat trick meaning we played them 7 times that season if true ?

BILLYHIBS
27-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Was at both these outstanding games you mention, was that the same season we played them in a friendly at ER and benny got a hat trick meaning we played them 7 times that season if true ?

Yip! We won 6-3 in a hastily arranged friendly in the January Benny scored a perfect hatrick I also remember him ballooning a pen over the bar in a penalty shoot out not sure if that was the same game as the 4-4 game

Brilliant memories!

AugustaHibs
27-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Eddie may is a total ****.

tynehibs
27-01-2019, 07:56 AM
Yip! We won 6-3 in a hastily arranged friendly in the January Benny scored a perfect hatrick I also remember him ballooning a pen over the bar in a penalty shoot out not sure if that was the same game as the 4-4 game

Brilliant memories!

I remember pearce o'learys ending up in the graveyard, magic !

overdrive
27-01-2019, 08:03 AM
If we were going to appoint from within, I’d rather it was Murray than May. He’s had more management experience than May. The Hearts thing may be difficult to get over for some though.

bawheid
27-01-2019, 08:09 AM
Pretty sure my first game at Easter Road was a 4-1 win over Clydebank in 1987ish. My memory is of Eddie May making a late run into the box, scoring and then clattering into the post, having to get stretchered off. Thought he was a hero at the time!

He’s not the next Hibs manager though.

bigwheel
27-01-2019, 08:26 AM
Not a chance May will be considered for the job...mind you, I suspect he'd say that himself. May is vjewed in the club as good at what he dies...not great..but good.

Good luck both of them , hope they have a nice little run in charge until we sort this out..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Danderhall Hibs
27-01-2019, 08:35 AM

A total star?

SMAXXA
27-01-2019, 08:36 AM
A total star?

😂

flash
27-01-2019, 08:46 AM
A total star?

Hero?

Superfurry72
27-01-2019, 08:46 AM

The Hearts game he scored the winner in was on Jan 4, 1989. We won 1-0, with May’s goal coming after just 4 mins. It was our second derby win in three months, we had won 2-1 at Tynie in the previous November.

The 4-3 Celtic was March 8, 1986. We also knocked them out the LC that season on pens. The 6-3 friendly was Jan 85, not sure May played that day, but he might well have done!

superfurryhibby
27-01-2019, 09:02 AM
The Hearts game he scored the winner in was on Jan 4, 1989. We won 1-0, with May’s goal coming after just 4 mins. It was our second derby win in three months, we had won 2-1 at Tynie in the previous November.

The 4-3 Celtic was March 8, 1986. We also knocked them out the LC that season on pens. The 6-3 friendly was Jan 85, not sure May played that day, but he might well have done!

Superfurrybrethren of Hibernia, welcome.

As for Eddie May, he seems to being doing a good job at the academy. Good luck to him today.

Billy Whizz
27-01-2019, 09:03 AM
Superfurrybrethren of Hibernia, welcome.

As for Eddie May, he seems to being doing a good job at the academy. Good luck to him today.

He’s doing a great job, loads of his graduates making the 1st team squad, that’s what he’s paid to do.
Keep it up Eddie

BILLYHIBS
27-01-2019, 09:04 AM

Eddie May made his HIBS debut on 14/9/85 in an away defeat 0-1 to Dundee.

I remember him as being a much sought after youngster delighted to be free of the shackles of Jim McLeans harsh regime at Dundee United

Source: fitbastats

Diclonius
27-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Wasn't Eddie May's winner in the 1-0 derby out last win before that dreadful run of games against them?

Superfurry72
27-01-2019, 09:37 AM
Eddie May made his HIBS debut on 14/9/85 in an away defeat 0-1 to Dundee.

I remember him as being a much sought after youngster delighted to be free of the shackles of Jim McLeans harsh regime at Dundee United

Source: fitbastats

There you go! Was pretty sure he hadn’t featured in the 6-3 game. I wasn’t there, but was Hibs’ mascot the week before against Dumbarton. Weirdly, I ran out with the team to the Dunbar End. Roughie gave me an open goal to shoot into and I missed! We won 3-1 though...

I was at the 4-3 cup game in 86, and saw May’s derby winner in 89. Happy days.

matty_f
27-01-2019, 10:03 AM
Wasn't Eddie May's winner in the 1-0 derby out last win before that dreadful run of games against them?

It was. I remember that goal like it was yesterday - we hit the post with a similar move not long after the goal as well.

BOB MARLEYS DUG
27-01-2019, 10:24 AM
A star is born 😂

CRAZYHIBBY
27-01-2019, 11:47 AM
Think the ops been watching too many movies

BILLYHIBS
27-01-2019, 11:53 AM
Think the ops been watching too many movies

True story....honest!

When the legend becomes fact print the legend! :greengrin

hibees 7062
27-01-2019, 12:03 PM
Mclean told him if he didn't sign a new contract he wouldn't play in Tannadice again . He said I will but it will be with Hibs

hibees 7062
27-01-2019, 12:03 PM

Hibi

The 90+2
27-01-2019, 12:05 PM
He’s confirmed he doesn’t want the job “no danger” to being a full time manager again.

J-C
27-01-2019, 12:23 PM
He’s doing a great job, loads of his graduates making the 1st team squad, that’s what he’s paid to do.
Keep it up Eddie

He's a bit more strict with the youth but that mames them stronger willed to succeed, previously we had technical players who weren't ready to step up, a bit lightweight.

Beefster
27-01-2019, 01:30 PM
If his pre-match interview and the first half performance is anything to go by, I bet he had the team right inspired and motivated before they went out.

BILLYHIBS
27-01-2019, 02:19 PM
:dunno:

Beefster
27-01-2019, 02:21 PM
:dunno:

He obviously upped his game at half-time.

Itsnoteasy
27-01-2019, 02:24 PM

Why is he loyal to Lennon?
He is employed by Hibs as head of academy not part of Lennons backroom staff.

heretoday
27-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Eddie May, Eddie May, Eddie May.......

Still Smiling
27-01-2019, 03:05 PM
Not for me

emerald green
27-01-2019, 03:08 PM

Was Grant Murray not "Hearts minded" once upon a time? Not that it matters now, and he does a good job at Hibs.

Peevemor
27-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Was Grant Murray not "Hearts minded" once upon a time? Not that it matters now, and he does a good job at Hibs.

I once stumbled across his wife's facebook page - it seems to be all about Hibs for the 2 of them.

BT58
27-01-2019, 03:13 PM
Eddie May, confirmed on SSN, saying that he is only in till new manager arrives, or NL comes back

emerald green
27-01-2019, 03:13 PM
I once stumbled across his wife's facebook page - it seems to be all about Hibs for the 2 of them.

It would be I suppose, now that he has seen sense. :greengrin

Here’s Lucy!
27-01-2019, 03:51 PM

Edit: Forget it.

Joe6-2
27-01-2019, 03:55 PM

Stumbled across it! 😂😂

Peevemor
27-01-2019, 04:02 PM
Stumbled across it! 😂😂

It'd be a strange one to look for. I honestly can't remember how I ended up there. :dunno:

HibbyAndy
27-01-2019, 04:07 PM

His wife ( my sister ) is a die hard hibs fan that travels home and away to hibs games , 2 of their 3 boys are also hibs fans

Grant is coming round :cb

WoreTheGreen
27-01-2019, 04:11 PM
His wife ( my sister ) is a die hard hibs fan that travels home and away to hibs games , 2 of their 3 boys are also hibs fans

Only 2 tut tut

Peevemor
27-01-2019, 04:12 PM

I'm not stalking her - honest guv!

HibbyAndy
27-01-2019, 04:13 PM
I'm not stalking her - honest guv!

:greengrin

J-C
27-01-2019, 04:29 PM
Why is he loyal to Lennon?
He is employed by Hibs as head of academy not part of Lennons backroom staff.

Paper talk and rumours saying all the coaching staff were behind the manager, TBF he didn't look comfortable pre game answering the questions, maybe just cautious in what he was saying and not trying to slip up and say anything untoward.

Zazu62
27-01-2019, 04:43 PM
Anyone got a link to his interview before and after the game?

Here’s Lucy!
27-01-2019, 04:48 PM
Paper talk and rumours saying all the coaching staff were behind the manager, TBF he didn't look comfortable pre game answering the questions, maybe just cautious in what he was saying and not trying to slip up and say anything untoward.

He was like a rabbit caught in headlights tbh.

AllyF
27-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Eddie May could not sound less enthusiastic about being dumped in charge of the first-team squad.

Here’s Lucy!
27-01-2019, 04:55 PM
Eddie May could not sound less enthusiastic about being dumped in charge of the first-team squad.

He didn't want the gig at all, but was told it was in his contract.

Fergos
27-01-2019, 04:58 PM
On the post match radio interview he said he didn’t like his last experience of being a Manager and that he worked for a wonderful football club, which of course is correct, and wanted to go back to working with the young lads.

Seems fair enough to me.

GGTTH