PDA

View Full Version : Cat amongst the pigeons

Wakeyhibee
27-01-2019, 01:50 AM
"The club are unhappy with the Kamberi situation as they paid a significant fee to get him in the summer from Grasshoppers and view him as a major asset with a real sell-on value."

Are we a football team or a business first and foremost? I think it's a valid question to ask

Dr_Regal
27-01-2019, 02:15 AM
I mentioned it in a lost thread from yesterday.

I think Kamberi is on big money here, and we pushed the boat out, for once, to get him in the summer. This explains Lennon’s complete outrage at his horrendous performances this season.

ericd7
27-01-2019, 02:48 AM
I don't know how anyone expects Kamberi to perform like last season when the only service he gets is people punting the ball the length of the field to him where he's completely isolated.

jiggerman
27-01-2019, 03:24 AM
I think Kamberi has been harshly treated. Same player, different team. Lennon’s used him as a scapegoat - others are more culpable for our position than him.

kaimendhibs
27-01-2019, 03:36 AM
Kamberi is great running into through ball. Can't play back to goal. No first touch at all. Also, no offside awareness

Sent from my VTR-L09 using Tapatalk

eastmainsmsh
27-01-2019, 03:38 AM
I think Lenny was good for us . But I hope Flo gets a strike partner and scores a hat 🎩 trick :flag:

hibbydog
27-01-2019, 04:04 AM
"The club are unhappy with the Kamberi situation as they paid a significant fee to get him in the summer from Grasshoppers and view him as a major asset with a real sell-on value."

Are we a football team or a business first and foremost? I think it's a valid question to ask

Is that an actual quote from someone at Hibs?

Hibs should have known the risk in putting such a high investment in one player. Injuries and loss of form are pretty obvious possibilities so to be unhappy at the player when he’s feeding off scraps is a bit harsh IMO

cabbageandribs1875
27-01-2019, 04:08 AM
I don't know how anyone expects Kamberi to perform like last season when the only service he gets is people punting the ball the length of the field to him where he's completely isolated.

this :agree: get the ball down the wings and cut back in to the box and the boy will score

ddoc
27-01-2019, 05:28 AM
I think Kamberi has been harshly treated. Same player, different team. Lennon’s used him as a scapegoat - others are more culpable for our position than him.

I totally agree with this. The support from midfield has been like chalk and cheese over last season. If he had anyone feeding some decent passes he would be in a different position from where he is with the fan base today.

Forza Fred
27-01-2019, 05:55 AM

And playing him isolated up front on his own, when we all know that is not a role he can successfully play, made no sense.

It was almost as if he was being set up to fail.

I have also never known a player to play better because his boss keeps telling him and the world, that he is playing crap.

hibbydog
27-01-2019, 07:03 AM
And playing him isolated up front on his own, when we all know that is not a role he can successfully play, made no sense.

It was almost as if he was being set up to fail.

I have also never known a player to play better because his boss keeps telling him and the world, that he is playing crap.

Agreed.

And Lennon MUST see this. Surely tae ****. It’s obvious.

The fact Lennon either doesn’t get it, or is choosing to publicly mouth off at the guy is just another reason that I’m not upset about him being gone.

Since90+2
27-01-2019, 07:11 AM
Is that an actual quote from someone at Hibs?

Hibs should have known the risk in putting such a high investment in one player. Injuries and loss of form are pretty obvious possibilities so to be unhappy at the player when he’s feeding off scraps is a bit harsh IMO

The quote is from the Sun not the club.

Borderhibbie76
27-01-2019, 07:11 AM
Agreed.

The fact Lennon either doesn’t get it, or is choosing to publicly mouth off at the guy is just another reason that I’m not upset about him being gone.His public lambasting of Flo has never sat easy with me at all...it's Butcher-esque and a few of us said the first time he did it that this would not end well...not exactly happy to have been proven right but players never react well to being slagged off in public by a manager. Lennon refused to take any blame himself - tactics, formations, his signings etc. That's the reason I ain't crying myself to sleep that he's gone tbh...think change is needed

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

virtualhibby
27-01-2019, 07:21 AM

This. Kamberi is not missing 1 on 1 chances or fluffing through balls he can run in to....he is not getting any decent service. The role he seems to be getting asked to play does not support this either. Same with issue with McLaren IMO. We resorted to this back to the goal / hold the ball up tactic when our midfield was weak....we now have new quality heads in MF, who could deliver quality balls.

I have no doubt Gauld & co will deliver the service when kamberi is played in a way we know works. I am optimistic that we will start scoring goals again if someone else is in the dugout and makes the switch.

Colr
27-01-2019, 07:27 AM

We’re a football team trying to compete with modest means.

Colr
27-01-2019, 07:28 AM

Christ!! We’re not back to playing like that again, are we!!

James Stephen
27-01-2019, 07:36 AM
I think the PR was has begun, and lets face it, theres only going to be one winner in this.

Lenny's mates will paint him as sone glorious martyr sacrificed by the evil Hibs board.

Too good for us, lucky to have him etc etc

And Hibs will do, or say nothing, as per usual.

J-C
27-01-2019, 07:41 AM
This will only happen unless the truth comes out, if it's proven that fists flew and a chair was thrown, he'll not have a leg to stand on, let's also hope his alleged homophobic comments are untrue as he'll struggle to get another job.

hibbydog
27-01-2019, 07:48 AM
The quote is from the Sun not the club.

Ah....

The only thing I believe in that rag is the date and price.
And even then I’m still not sure 😋

But in this case it’s a fair statement evidenced by Lennons publicity slagging of Kamberi. What a 🛎 end.

Brizo
27-01-2019, 07:51 AM
[QUOTE=Wakeyhibee;5681302]"The club are unhappy with the Kamberi situation as they paid a significant fee to get him in the summer from Grasshoppers and view him as a major asset with a real sell-on value."

Are we a football team or a business first and foremost? I think it's a valid question to ask[/QUOTE

I think a more valid question is why you would believe a headline which is apparently from the Sun :wink:

Rumble de Thump
27-01-2019, 07:52 AM
Agreed.

The fact Lennon either doesn’t get it, or is choosing to publicly mouth off at the guy is just another reason that I’m not upset about him being gone.

It seems to be a comment from a Daily Express journalist.

JimBHibees
27-01-2019, 07:57 AM

Agree although he is tall he is not a target man more a player to play off another player or run in behind when balls are passed through. Bizarrely he never seems to want to head the ball.

Northernhibee
27-01-2019, 08:04 AM

I think Kamberi is on big money here, and we pushed the boat out, for once, to get him in the summer. This explains Lennon’s complete outrage at his horrendous performances this season.

Flo has not in a million years been horrendous. FFS.

JimBHibees
27-01-2019, 08:07 AM
Flo has not in a million years been horrendous. FFS.

Been inconsistent however his goals against Celtic were both fantastic.

hibee316
27-01-2019, 09:12 AM
This will only happen unless the truth comes out, if it's proven that fists flew and a chair was thrown, he'll not have a leg to stand on, let's also hope his alleged homophobic comments are untrue as he'll struggle to get another job.

What were the alleged homophobic comments? Not heard this one.

HibbySpurs
27-01-2019, 09:38 AM
The service to Flo has been horrific all season and Lennon’s public humiliation of him was never going to help. It’s obvious the guy is at a low ebb and hopefully that can be turned around.

That said if the board are upset that a potentially large saleable asset is being run down then it’s a bit early for panic as he signed a three year deal. Surely the logical move is to be looking to cash in during the summer window if 2020?

Caversham Green
27-01-2019, 09:39 AM

Another valid question:

What do you think the club wants to do with the money it brings in, given that it never has and never will pay dividends to its shareholders?

Phil MaGlass
27-01-2019, 09:55 AM
Poor guy needs service, no service no goals, its pretty simple. A mangaer that lambasts him every game doesnt help motivation.
I have to say a well done to the team mates that allegedely stood up for him, if true, bullying or harrassment has no place on any work floor.
A few years ago I too was a victim of workplace bullying, didnt stand for it and logged everything,I wrote an upward appraisal at the end of the year, that boss no longer works at my place of work.

MWHIBBIES
27-01-2019, 10:04 AM

Horrendous is such a ridiculous exaggeration.

wookie70
27-01-2019, 10:06 AM
Poor guy needs service, no service no goals, its pretty simple. A mangaer that lambasts him every game doesnt help motivation.
I have to say a well done to the team mates that allegedely stood up for him, if true, bullying or harrassment has no place on any work floor.
A few years ago I too was a victim of workplace bullying, didnt stand for it and logged everything,I wrote an upward appraisal at the end of the year, that boss no longer works at my place of work.

I wonder if the Players Union have had any involvement. The way you handled it is very much on the lines of what a Union Rep might advise and I really hope the players have done similar. The whole situation appears to have been going on for months and if they have documented it then Hibs will have a far easier and cheaper way to exit Lennon.

Diclonius
27-01-2019, 10:07 AM
So Lennon's now got the tabloids on Kamberi too? That's an absolute disgrace.

Radium
27-01-2019, 10:13 AM
Every player and member of training team are an asset.

A few months ago we had a management team that other teams may have paid money to get. That won’t be the case now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J-C
27-01-2019, 10:17 AM
What were the alleged homophobic comments? Not heard this one.

Unconfirmed and purely a rumour that he called Leeann a ****ing dyke during their heated discussion, this may be BS though but a good few posters have alluded to it.

jacomo
27-01-2019, 10:26 AM

We are both, ignore either side of the equation and sooner rather than later we will be in big trouble.

If the club writes off its investment in Flo it would be a serious setback for us.

Shrekko
27-01-2019, 10:36 AM
The ‘lack of service’ is just a lazy argument regarding his form and Kamberi’s fan club really have the blinkers on.

‘Give him a chance and he’ll stick it away’ is another. He’s missed 2 blinkin penalties in his last few games.

And now he’s been ‘set up to fail’! Ridiculous.

I assume Leigh Griffiths got great service at Hibs? Erm no. Kamberi needs to look at himself. He was brought in to be our difference maker and has been soft and some of his football has been woeful which probably explains why he couldn’t make it as his last club despite having another sob story of alleged poor treatment.

Lennon shouldn’t have gone public but you can understand his frustration.

Bostonhibby
27-01-2019, 10:37 AM
Playing Kamberi on his own then pinging balls at him is like giving a fish a bicycle then telling it to win a race.

We know kamberi's strengths-they're why we happily paid up for him. I don't think the guys stopped trying and I blame whoever sets the team up for his recent plight and the general on pitch shambles we've been.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

bigwheel
27-01-2019, 10:42 AM
Playing Kamberi on his own then pinging balls at him is like giving a fish a bicycle then telling it to win a race.

We know kamberi's strengths-they're why we happily paid up for him. I don't think the guys stopped trying and I blame whoever sets the team up for his recent plight and the general on pitch shambles we've been.

You may have a point on Kamberi not enjoying working as a lone striker - it’s not an uncommon role though for most strikers these days ..

It’s too simplistic this view for me - the picking on Kamberi has not been helpful from Lennon - but Kamberi’s performances have also been poor at times - even if he doesn’t like playing as a lone striker, it shouldn’t stop him controlling the ball and laying it off..or anticipating the ball rather than being caught on your heels - we’ve seen lots of that this season from him

For me Lennon handled this poorly, but equally Kamberi has not performed well enough this season - and its not just about formations

Shrekko
27-01-2019, 10:44 AM

Aye imagine putting balls up to a striker and expecting him to control them eh?

I also didn’t realise Hibs were particularly a hoof ball team either until all this started.

I’m starting to feel sorry for Zibbi now - Mowbray played him goals when he knew fine well that catching a football wasn’t ‘his game’... he was almost being set up to fail. Poor guy!

Bostonhibby
27-01-2019, 10:45 AM
You may have a point on Kamberi not enjoying working as a lone striker - it’s not an uncommon role though for most strikers these days ..

It’s too simplistic this view for me - the picking on Kamberi has not been helpful from Lennon - but Kamberi’s performances have also been poor at times - even if he doesn’t like playing as a lone striker, it shouldn’t stop him controlling the ball and laying it off..or anticipating the ball rather than being caught on your heels - we’ve seen lots of that this season from him

For me Lennon handled this poorly, but equally Kamberi has not performed well enough this season - and its not just about formationsI'll agree that. Formations/tactics (which ive been unable to fathom recently) and man management is probably nearer the mark here.

Brizo
27-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Unconfirmed and purely a rumour that he called Leeann a ****ing dyke during their heated discussion, this may be BS though but a good few posters have alluded to it.

This is doing the rounds and that he punched a door in her office.

As you say purely a rumour and the full details of what has led to his suspension will probably never come out.

Whatever has happened, the suspension suggests the club want to give themselves time to consider how to proceed. Lennons an intelligent guy well skilled in advocating his case, so if rumours of such a bust up were true, the club would be wanting to make sure their legal case was watertight.

Keith_M
27-01-2019, 10:48 AM
I don't think threads like this are very helpful, discussing rumours and Sun headlines as if they were facts.

FYI, the first mention of homophobic comments was a thread on Jambos Kickback.

GreenOnions
27-01-2019, 10:50 AM
The Sun's reports so far are clearly the result of briefings from someone on Lenny's side.

The paper seems to be trying to isolate Kamberi and, to a certain extent, Dempster as the people at fault. They are implying that all the players support Lenny.

In a dispute between an ex-Old Firm player who's still popular with their fans and any non-OF club the tabloids are always going to support the position of the ex-OF person. As a perspective it is likely to appeal to more of their readers.

As such - I don't think anything the Sun/Record etc says on this topic is necessarily likely to get us near the full story or even the truth.

Bostonhibby
27-01-2019, 10:51 AM

I also didn’t realise Hibs were particularly a hoof ball team either until all this started.

I’m starting to feel sorry for Zibbi now - Mowbray played him goals when he knew fine well that catching a football wasn’t ‘his game’... he was almost being set up to fail. Poor guy!Imagine splashing out on a striker because you like what you see when he scores and plays well to his strengths, then for whatever reason ignoring them and playing to their weaknesses and openly lambasting them at the same time.

Not the only example of players struggling when played out of position.

Borderhibbie76
27-01-2019, 10:51 AM

I’m starting to feel sorry for Zibbi now - Mowbray played him goals when he knew fine well that catching a football wasn’t ‘his game’... he was almost being set up to fail. Poor guy!Sadly under Lennon this season we have been a bit of a hoofball team...especially since the freefall began in Oct. We out-hoofed Hertz in The last derby...it was brutal to watch

davhibby
27-01-2019, 10:55 AM
That sun article basically sets out to blame Flo and Dempster making it out like some plot to get rid of Lennon that's been going on for months. It's a total contradiction to any of the other stories about what happened. There will be a few like this to try and make Lennon look blameless in all this

greenginger
27-01-2019, 10:56 AM
Not arguing that Kamberi has not been poor this season, but the question is why is he always in the starting line up ?

could it be we have virtually no other options?

Midfielders in abundance, but one main striker.

Who picks the squad ?

Keith_M
27-01-2019, 10:57 AM
Oh and it's Pigeons, not Pidgeons

Shrekko
27-01-2019, 11:01 AM
Sadly under Lennon this season we have been a bit of a hoofball team...especially since the freefall began in Oct. We out-hoofed Hertz in The last derby...it was brutal to watch

I don’t really see it especially when Boyles been fit. We’ve lacked a cutting edge and the ball has a tendency to be lost when played up to the front men. Your man has to take some responsibility for that.

In modern football you can’t just be a goal hanger. Every player has to do their bit in the build up.

Kamberi has had some good game this season and a lot of very poor ones. Stop blaming everyone but him. It always has to be so black or white on here. A lot of people have caused our problems this season -nobody should get a pass.

Borderhibbie76
27-01-2019, 11:05 AM
I don’t really see it especially when Boyles been fit. We’ve lacked a cutting edge and the ball has a tendency to be lost when played up to the front men. Your man has to take some responsibility for that.

In modern football you can’t just be a goal hanger. Every player has to do their bit in the build up.

Kamberi has had some good game this season and a lot of very poor ones. Stop blaming everyone but him. It always has to be so black or white on here. A lot of people have caused our problems this season -nobody should get a pass.I agree and I also agree a lot of the players have let us down too including Flo...but I don't agree with the public slagging Lennon subjected him too and I posted at the time it would not end well..it never does.

And i stand by my point the quality odour football has been poor the majority of the season. Boyle for example hasn't kicked a ball for us since Oct

James Stephen
27-01-2019, 11:08 AM
For a whole team to so obviously lose their form and confidence at the same time has to be down to management.

We beat Hamilton 6-0 in a very good display, then Lenny had his latest meltdown after the derby and our form falls off a cliff.

Not one single player is playing anything like maximum of their ability.

Shrekko
27-01-2019, 11:30 AM
I agree and I also agree a lot of the players have let us down too including Flo...but I don't agree with the public slagging Lennon subjected him too and I posted at the time it would not end well..it never does.

And i stand by my point the quality odour football has been poor the majority of the season. Boyle for example hasn't kicked a ball for us since Oct

I agree that Lennon should not have gone public like he did👍🏻 I think people are trying to hard to apportion blame when it’s clearly a collective mess.

The quality and style of football being played I do not believe is down to Lennon instructing the team to play a long ball game. His signings... Mallan, Allan, Gauld, Horgan ... prove that. Some players have let him down and injuries and lack of squad depth have hampered his ability to just drop the under achievers.

People can defend Kamberi if they like but he is nothing like the player he was last season. His running and work rate was immense.

DarlingtonHibee
27-01-2019, 11:47 AM

Why are you posting this.

Are you proud to be spreading rumours.

I've met the guy on several occasions, and don't believe for a moment he said that.

Anyway, let you get on with posting absolute rubbish

Caversham Green
27-01-2019, 12:15 PM

Debatable...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=427SaTSf3_Q

Bear that in mind next time someone complains about the Segals at ER.

Johnny Clash
27-01-2019, 12:20 PM

Not sure about the fish analogy - it’s more like ‘giving a talented International football player the ball and telling him to score’ .

If the ball lands at his feet then great - we hope he scores. We also want Flo to go searching for the ball and to chase back if we lose possession. Dare I say it, we also want Flo to take penalties and bury the ball in the back of the net.

It’s not just the missed chances after he’s been served the ball, the poor penalty misses but also the general lack of energy that’s missing from last season. We all know he can do better .

Lennon hardly mercilessly lambasted him publicly. The criticisms I’ve read all seem valid and measured. You’d take on the chin then pull your socks up.

I have no idea exactly what’s been shouted from the touch line (somebposters give the impression they could enlighten us?) but I doubt it’s been purile abuse like you often hear from the stands (and can do without). It’s the manager’s job to shout at his players from the touch line. Alex Ferguson did it, Steve Clarke does it, Eddie Turnbull did it. They may very well remind a player to focus, try harder and generally get their finger out.

I want a manager who does that - I want to see Hibs players fighting for every ball and busting a gut for the jersey.

Bostonhibby
27-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Not sure about the fish analogy - it’s more like ‘giving a talented International football player the ball and telling him to score’ .

If the ball lands at his feet then great - we hope he scores. We also want Flo to go searching for the ball and to chase back if we lose possession. Dare I say it, we also want Flo to take penalties and bury the ball in the back of the net.

It’s not just the missed chances after he’s been served the ball, the poor penalty misses but also the general lack of energy that’s missing from last season. We all know he can do better .

Lennon hardly mercilessly lambasted him publicly. The criticisms I’ve read all seem valid and measured. You’d take on the chin then pull your socks up.

I have no idea exactly what’s been shouted from the touch line (somebposters give the impression they could enlighten us?) but I doubt it’s been purile abuse like you often hear from the stands (and can do without). It’s the manager’s job to shout at his players from the touch line. Alex Ferguson did it, Steve Clarke does it, Eddie Turnbull did it. They may very well remind a player to focus, try harder and generally get their finger out.

I want a manager who does that - I want to see Hibs players fighting for every ball and busting a gut for the jersey.I hear what you're saying and accept it as fair, as I do the other points above as well.

I remain comfortable with the idea that attacking the guy off the pitch and in public whilst playing him as the type of striker he naturally isn't is not good management or tactics.

I say all of the above as someone who was plugging a pro Lennon line when he arrived having had the pleasure of meeting him long before he joined us through a mutual friend. Sadly I think the majority of responsibility for our place in the league and performances lie with him.

Enjoyed the journey but it's time to move on.

hibeerealist
27-01-2019, 12:50 PM
The ‘lack of service’ is just a lazy argument regarding his form and Kamberi’s fan club really have the blinkers on.

‘Give him a chance and he’ll stick it away’ is another. He’s missed 2 blinkin penalties in his last few games.

I assume Leigh Griffiths got great service at Hibs? Erm no. Kamberi needs to look at himself. He was brought in to be our difference maker and has been soft and some of his football has been woeful which probably explains why he couldn’t make it as his last club despite having another sob story of alleged poor treatment.

good post.

Moulin Yarns
27-01-2019, 12:52 PM

More likely to be flying pigs.

One Day Soon
27-01-2019, 01:00 PM
We do realise that its possible for two things to have been happening simultaneously: Lennon showing poor man management and Kamberi playing 5hite?

The criticisms of Lennon for public comments are all over .net. The criticism of Kamberi for under performing have been evident for weeks on the park. Never mind goals etc, where has the player gone who would run for 90 minutes closing down opponents whenever he could?

hibsbollah
27-01-2019, 01:04 PM

Agree with this.

basehibby
27-01-2019, 02:01 PM

By definition we are both - a professional football team should be run as a business otherwise it won't last very long.

Diclonius
27-01-2019, 02:11 PM
This is Lennon getting his mates in the press to blame everything on a 23 year old against whom he has a personal vendetta.

Shrekko
27-01-2019, 02:13 PM
This is Lennon getting his mates in the press to blame everything on a 23 year old against whom he has a personal vendetta.

You seriously believe that aye?

Springbank
27-01-2019, 02:53 PM

well seems similar to his treatment of dylan mcgeough at the last derby of last season. he hung dylan out to dry, dropped dylan, we of course lose the game (no great surprise when you drop your best players) then lennon went into hiding.

not something he(lennon) would get away with in his next managerial job

Diclonius
27-01-2019, 03:00 PM

He's singled him out all season and now after his suspension all the West Coast papers are saying poor wee Lenny is being bullied by one young striker. Yes, I believe it.

Shrekko
27-01-2019, 04:16 PM
He's singled him out all season and now after his suspension all the West Coast papers are saying poor wee Lenny is being bullied by one young striker. Yes, I believe it.

You got any links? To papers saying Kamberi bullied Lennon?

He’s not singled him out all season he only really did it a couple of times.... which he shouldn’t have, but he’s also criticised others such as Martin Boyle.

My guess would be that the truth is somewhere in the middle of both sides of the theories. Doubt Lennon managed to conduct a conspiracy in the space of 24 hours. We all know that Kamberi can do no wrong in the eyes of some and is the victim but this is too far fetched surely?