PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on fixing Scottish football

Perd Hapley
26-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Step one: start planning for the end of the Sky contract

Step two: launch an online streaming platform free of charge and make it easy to access through app stores and the like - do everything possible to make it a viable and attractive alternative to broadcast sports media

Step three: on that note, given that the target audience is largely Scottish, employ people who actually understand Scottish football and can write and speak well about it - quality football journalism still exists in this country (see Nutmeg et al); what our game perhaps lacks in finesse/tactics/etc it makes up for it in cultural impact so celebrate that. Half-time programmes of the quality of BBC Alba would be a good start, although these could be distributed seperately to the matches by all means because half-time is after all prime time for:

Step four: advertise. Keep it tasteful - I for one would appreciate if half-time weren't needlessly awash with sports betting companies - there's got to be something else that can be monetised. Something outside the box would generate buzz on a new platform - what about short films? The likes of YouTube has shown how to monetise (unobtrusive) pop-up ads while sky et al have shown the money to be had in licensing to pubs etc. Could have both - a YouTube-esque platform for individuals to stream games for free (maybe even literally just YouTube - works for BT Sport with the European stuff) combined with apps for download while charging pubs and such a license fee. Early revenues would possibly need to be ploughed back into marketing in order to achieve the broader aim of building an international audience through steps including:

Step five: broadcast every single game. Isn't that what every fan wants? It's not going to keep people who would otherise go at home or at the pub - we all know there's an infinite qualitative difference between watching a live recording of a game and actually being there. What we do know is that exposure is good, crowds are rising and modern technology has made it easier than ever to raise the profile of our game. Being bold about it would be a good start.

Yes, I'm basically talking about upcycling SPL TV but I think there's an argument to be made for our media operations to be brought in-house - so long as those at the top can demonstrate sufficient humility to hand over to those who really are the lifeblood of Scottish football - i.e the quality writers and journalists, forum/social media shapers of opinion, everyone else; in short, the fans. Is that as daft as it sounds? Have I lost all touch with reality following the trauma of the last 24 hours? How long is the Sky contract anyway?

Famous Fiver
26-01-2019, 03:17 PM
I understand a completely different interpretation of the word fixed.

Here was me thinking this was a thread about the ugly sisters.

Michael
26-01-2019, 03:24 PM
Don't see how a streaming service could be done for free. If there was an SPL TV channel it would need to be pretty expensive.

If you had 100,000 people at £15 a month for 10 months of the year you'd bring in slightly less than the new Sky deal and on top of that you would have a lot of costs.

One Day Soon
26-01-2019, 03:27 PM
Step one: start planning for the end of the Sky contract

Step two: launch an online streaming platform free of charge and make it easy to access through app stores and the like - do everything possible to make it a viable and attractive alternative to broadcast sports media

Step three: on that note, given that the target audience is largely Scottish, employ people who actually understand Scottish football and can write and speak well about it - quality football journalism still exists in this country (see Nutmeg et al); what our game perhaps lacks in finesse/tactics/etc it makes up for it in cultural impact so celebrate that. Half-time programmes of the quality of BBC Alba would be a good start, although these could be distributed seperately to the matches by all means because half-time is after all prime time for:

Step four: advertise. Keep it tasteful - I for one would appreciate if half-time weren't needlessly awash with sports betting companies - there's got to be something else that can be monetised. Something outside the box would generate buzz on a new platform - what about short films? The likes of YouTube has shown how to monetise (unobtrusive) pop-up ads while sky et al have shown the money to be had in licensing to pubs etc. Could have both - a YouTube-esque platform for individuals to stream games for free (maybe even literally just YouTube - works for BT Sport with the European stuff) combined with apps for download while charging pubs and such a license fee. Early revenues would possibly need to be ploughed back into marketing in order to achieve the broader aim of building an international audience through steps including:

Step five: broadcast every single game. Isn't that what every fan wants? It's not going to keep people who would otherise go at home or at the pub - we all know there's an infinite qualitative difference between watching a live recording of a game and actually being there. What we do know is that exposure is good, crowds are rising and modern technology has made it easier than ever to raise the profile of our game. Being bold about it would be a good start.

Yes, I'm basically talking about upcycling SPL TV but I think there's an argument to be made for our media operations to be brought in-house - so long as those at the top can demonstrate sufficient humility to hand over to those who really are the lifeblood of Scottish football - i.e the quality writers and journalists, forum/social media shapers of opinion, everyone else; in short, the fans. Is that as daft as it sounds? Have I lost all touch with reality following the trauma of the last 24 hours? How long is the Sky contract anyway?

I have to be honest that right know IDGAF about the rest of Scottish football. Perhaps once we have steadied the ship and got a new manager in etc...

ScottB
26-01-2019, 03:33 PM
Establishing a viable streaming platform would be expensive, better to try and piggyback on an existing service, which would then at least increase the chances of new people discovering it.

All the suggestions are good, but it ultimately will require money, where's it coming from? The clubs will go for whatever content model brings them the most money, Sky / BT / Amazon / Whoever have a relentless need for content, so they are buying it not just for Scottish viewing figures, though those will be of course the majority, it's as much about having a full schedule for them as anything else. A subscription service to Scottish football alone? That's a domestic audience only, and a niche one at that - How many of us would regularly watch St Mirren v Motherwell?

seanshow
26-01-2019, 04:19 PM
Regarding showing all the games live, did the english championship not have to bin their 'every game live on the red button' deal recently because the match attendances fell through the floor.

You also need the cameras/staff/studios to make it look good and promote the game properly.