PDA

View Full Version : Deary me Stubbs

Torto7062
26-01-2019, 02:14 PM
How can folk want Stubbs back is mind boggling.....
Forever a Legend for being a Cup Winning Manager but league wise he couldn't do it....
And nobody can argue that he would have left if we lost the final

Love the mans enthusiasm for the game but for me it would be a backwards step

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

cleanyman
26-01-2019, 02:15 PM
He won't get it

calumhibee1
26-01-2019, 02:16 PM
Forever a Legend for being a Cup Winning Manager but league wise he couldn't do it....

League wise he could do it. He just had teams that could do it better (with more money) to compete with. These teams also done it better than Lennons Hibs team done it btw.

cleanyman
26-01-2019, 02:17 PM
League wise he could do it. He just had teams that could do it better (with more money) to compete with. These teams also done it better than Lennons Hibs team done it btw.

League wise he's been a failure everywhere he's been

K.Marx
26-01-2019, 02:18 PM
His record post hibs suggests he’s lost without Doolan. Can’t thank him enough for winning the cup with us but we really need to stop looking behind us

Hibernia&Alba
It won't happen. If this is the end for Lennon, there will be no return to the past. New ideas will be required.

IGRIGI
3rd behind Falkirk, anyone that wants him back should get their head examined.

Zazu62
26-01-2019, 02:19 PM
Who else is there?

thebausburst
26-01-2019, 02:19 PM

Guy was unlucky not to win a cup double!, we ran out of steam in league which contained hearts and rangers! His signing record was great, far better than Lennon’s with a reduced budget, 58% win ratio not the worst albeit in championship.

Smartie
26-01-2019, 02:21 PM
He drastically improved us, had an eye for a player and got players playing for him.

His cup record was ridiculously good.

Yes, he's had his problems elsewhere but I cannot understand why so many people are so against the idea.

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 02:21 PM

Hi there, could you name me the other Hibs managers who've got Hibs to both cup finals in the same season? Thanks in advance for your response.

cleanyman
26-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Hi there, could you name me the other Hibs managers who've got Hibs to both cup finals in the same season? Thanks in advance for your response.

Pat Fenlon took us to two cup finals

K.Marx
26-01-2019, 02:23 PM
He drastically improved us, had an eye for a player and got players playing for him.

Yes, he's had his problems elsewhere but I cannot understand why so many people are so against the idea.

Maybe ask some Rotherham & St Mirren fans

cabbageandribs1875
just stop these silly suggestions

shetlandhibee

Yes, he's had his problems elsewhere but I cannot understand why so many people are so against the idea.:top marks

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 02:24 PM

Second ahead of the huns tho eh? I take 3rd behind Falkirk when it lead to two finals and a Scottish cup win. He rebuild the whole squad from a relegated shambles to the best footballing day of our lives.

I would have him back with this group of players in a heartbeat.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 02:25 PM

Did he win any?

cleanyman
26-01-2019, 02:25 PM
Second ahead of the huns tho eh? I take 3rd behind Falkirk when it lead to two finals and a Scottish cup win. He rebuild the whole squad from a relegated shambles to the best footballing day of our lives.

That doesn't really matter as we bottled it at Ibrox in the play off

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 02:26 PM

He was a very decent cup manager too. With the budget Lennon had this season I reckon Fenlon would have us about 6th or 7th.

Here’s Lucy!
Who else is there?

Must be plenty, but Stubbs should not be one of them.

heretoday
Guy was unlucky not to win a cup double!, we ran out of steam in league which contained hearts and rangers! His signing record was great, far better than Lennon’s with a reduced budget, 58% win ratio not the worst albeit in championship.

He left us for Rotherham.

Or something......

cleanyman
Did he win any?

Played two tougher teams

Fenlon was a dud as well

Waxy
At this point it maybe wouldnt be a bad idea to give it to Stubbsy till the end of the season. Then see where we are.

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 02:27 PM
People saying 'don't look back', 'step backwards' etc. What are you basing it off? It sounds like nothing more than empty rhetoric to me.

Dinkydoo
26-01-2019, 02:27 PM
He's achieved nothing wherever else he's been, but so has Allan.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 02:28 PM

Two sides fav for the drop. I’m sure you could ask Bolton about Lennon, Bristol City about McInness, WBA and Reading about Clarke, Leicester about Potter, Reading and Liverpool Rodgers, and could go on.

SquashedFrogg

Mate, I'm pleased to say I'm with you on this. Finally we agree on something 😀

K.Marx
People saying 'don't look back', 'step backwards' etc. What are you basing it off? It sounds like nothing more than empty rhetoric to me.

You do realise he’s had 2 job since Hibs and failed spectacularly at both?

The 90+2
Mate, I'm pleased to say I'm with you on this. Finally we agree on something 😀

Yassss 😃😃

cleanyman
26-01-2019, 02:29 PM

He wrecked a decent St.Mirren team after 2 months

And don't even mention Rotherham

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 02:30 PM
Played two tougher teams

Fenlon was a dud as well

Played two tougher teams 😂😂😂 what about the route to both finals too.

Stubbs wasn’t a dud. He delivered the Scottish Cup unlike any other manager anyone can ever remember. 👍

calumhibee1
26-01-2019, 02:30 PM
You do realise he’s had 2 job since Hibs and failed spectacularly at both?

Like Lennon did at Bolton? Or Mowbray did at Celtic? The two jobs he took - Rotherham especially - were very difficult jobs. Rotherham were never staying up in that league and it would seem there was more to it than meets the eye at St Mirren considering how quickly he was gone.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 02:33 PM
Like Lennon did at Bolton? Or Mowbray did at Celtic? The two jobs he took - Rotherham especially - were very difficult jobs. Rotherham were never staying up in that league and it would seem there was more to it than meets the eye at St Mirren considering how quickly he was gone.

Warnock produced a miracle keeping Rotherham up prior to Stubbs then they lost their two best players and got backed with pennies.

St Mirren also lost their two best players although I would concede it didn’t happen for him there.

Doesn’t make him a dud though. He turned around our club and left it for Lennon to build upon. When Stubbs guys have left the club it’s left us worse off now than when he left that’s for sure.

Smartie

I think I'd want some answers from Stubbs regarding what went wrong at Rotherham and St Mirren. Rotherham are a wee team in a big league and would always be up against it but I would have expected him to have done much better at St Mirren.

I'm fine with people having a bit of failure behind them, in fact I'd prefer it. That's what is known as experience.

As long as he has reflected on both periods and he provided an adequate explanation then I'd be happy enough. I'd also have a few questions for him about his time at Hibs, why we weren't promoted with him here and if he'd been here for a third season what he'd have done to get us up.

We have a lot of talent in our squad and we need a man who can relate to the players and pick out what is needed to compliment what we already have. Stubbs fits that description nicely for me.

The Scottish Cup win wouldn't even come into my thinking.

He's also available and knows a few of the players already, all players who performed well for him.

Waxy
Played two tougher teams

Fenlon was a dud as well

Your the Dud pal. Any Hibby can never call Stubbsy a dud.
Give Stubbsy the rest of the season. Afterall we only have the Scottish cup left to go for.

Eaststand
26-01-2019, 02:34 PM
At this point it maybe wouldnt be a bad idea to give it to Stubbsy till the end of the season. Then see where we are.

This is it for me too.
Stubbsy knows the club, and a lot of our players/staff, so he would fit very well into our structure.
Give him the job for 6 months to stabilise things. If he performs well, then he would be in a strong position for a permanent contract in the Summer.

GGTTH

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 02:34 PM
I'd just like to add the caveat that, for me personally, no Stubbs without Doolan. We need them both or neither (or just Doolan if we're really going for something radical).

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2019, 02:35 PM
Yassss 😃😃

Who would ever have thought this day would arrive! Even if it's a short term move,I think he could come in an reignite our club. Seems a distinct lack of confidence around ER. Seems very much a players manager.

Good points earlier re other managers at their previous clubs. Maybe Hibs are Stubbsy's 'club'.

Hibernia&Alba
Played two tougher teams 😂😂😂 what about the route to both finals too.

Stubbs wasn’t a dud. He delivered the Scottish Cup unlike any other manager anyone can ever remember. 👍

He certainly wasn't a dud. The club was a shambles when he arrived; he improved us and won the SC, which makes him a legend. However, both he and Hibs moved on; it's in the past, unless Stubbs can prove himself the outstanding candidate. I would prefer fresh ideas; there are lots of good managers out there.

ben johnson

In the play off first leg against Falkirk the non penalties for MacRacken treble hand ball in the box and then kicking Henderson to the ground in the space of twenty seconds would have put us 3 .1 , man sent off and they were all over the place Alan Muir bottled it and so we had another season down.

MWHIBBIES
26-01-2019, 02:37 PM
I personally don't really want him back but there is a very strong argument for it.

Why is it so absurd that fans would want the guy back who gave us Scott Allan, McGinn, Fyvie, McGeouch, Malonga, McGregor, Gray. The guy who started the derby run, the guy who beat Rangers 6 times.

He also won the Scottish cup. That was pretty decent.

Phil MaGlass
26-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Imagne if Stubbs became caretaket mahager and won us the Cup AGAIN, christ this place would go into meltdown, me included.
Its actually not a bad idea, he has the respect of some of the players already.

HibeeHibernian4
In the play off first leg against Falkirk the non penalties for MacRacken treble hand ball in the box and then kicking Henderson to the ground in the space of twenty seconds would have put us 3 .1 , man sent off and they were all over the place Alan Muir bottled it and so we had another season down.

More to the point, we fought valiantly in three competitions, and reaching both finals cannot be overstated enough. Say we had got past Falkirk in the play-off, what would that have done to our chances of winning the Scottish against Rangers? It would’ve been Killie first leg on the Wednesday, Scottish Cup Final on the Saturday, Killie second leg the Wednesday after? It would’ve been anarchy. The league was sacrificed for much bigger and better things, and it is so disingenuous of some fans to then praise Lennon for piggybacking onto it and mustering up one more point in a league that had lost a considerable amount of quality.

BoomtownHibees
I personally don't really want him back but there is a very strong argument for it.

Why is it so absurd that fans would want the guy back who gave us Scott Allan, McGinn, Fyvie, McGeouch, Malonga, McGregor, Gray. The guy who started the derby run, the guy who beat Rangers 6 times.

Aye but he’s never done the aeroplane

MWHIBBIES
26-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Aye but he’s never done the aeroplaneAye, he never installed a winning mentality :faf:

Feed McGraw
26-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Some guys just "fit" at certain clubs. Stubbs is a good fit at Hibs in my opinion.

Islington Hibs
26-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Assuming Lennon is gone I would give it to Stubbs until the end of the season and see what he can do. What's the risk- our season, outside the Cup, is over but we are too far ahead to get relegated realistically. He knows Hibs well, presumably gets on with LD, brought young players on - rather than the recent strategy of getting loan players, and is a legend.

My be he was lucky last time, but whats the worst that could happen 7-10th place. If so we can use the next six months to find the long term solution rather than panic into a quick fix.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 02:44 PM
Who would ever have thought this day would arrive! Even if it's a short term move,I think he could come in an reignite our club. Seems a distinct lack of confidence around ER. Seems very much a players manager.

Good points earlier re other managers at their previous clubs. Maybe Hibs are Stubbsy's 'club'.

Thanks and I agree. I think a few of the players do need an arm round the shoulder reminding them they aren’t bad players all of a sudden, Stubbs coming in could actually be a no lose situation until the end of the season. The support would certainly be behind him and if it doesn’t work out we move on in the summer with someone with fresh ideas. I do feel he regretted leaving and would do everything in his power to get us successful and the job again, a bit like Ole at Utd you could say.

wookie70
One of the things I would always look at in a manager would be how we are when they left compared to how we were when they arrived. Stubbs for me made massive strides in building a squad, getting us winning most weeks, bringing fans back and seeing smiles everywhere around the club. The first year in the league he did well finishing above The Rangers and very unlucky not to knock them out the play offs. Second year he did brilliantly in the Cups and obviously brought back the Scottish. The league fizzled out and the play offs saw us defeated by a decent Falkirk side and some unbelievable refereeing. Compared to where we started he gets plus points in most things.
Lennon took a Cup Winning team and added some grit and a bit more pragmatism and got us up. He them added a few signing that really worked with the Stubbs majority and had a great run at the league last year and a decent run in Europe this year. Another couple of poor windows and terrible form and style sees him leave with a squad that imo is worse than the one he inherited and in a faily poor league position. The fans are now not smiling and the whole club seems far more like when Butcher left than when Stubbs did.

I really rate Stubbs but I think there is merit in those saying we would have to bring his whole team in and then you would be talking about 2 or 3 year deals. What we should be looking for is a galvanising and positive manager like Stubbs. Lennon appears to be able to do that job when things are going well but he is far to quick to start divisions when results go the other way. I always felt Stubbs was talking about what Hibs were doing but Lennon was talking about what he was doing.

Let's get on plan again, identify the football we want to play and the style of coach we want and then get someone in. Results have been so poor it is unlikely we will get worse and the teams in the bottom two spots are a long way back. There are some good players on the books but we need to get a couple of forwards in before the break. They don't have to be world beaters and needn't be permanent.

ekhibee

My thoughts exactly, I don't really want Stubbs back on a permanent basis, but he did have a good record against Hearts, Rangers etc, and of course the SC win, so we could do a hell of a lot worse than bring him in at least till the end of the season. If it worked it would work in Stubbs' favour too as far as redeeming his reputation outside Hibs is concerned. Having said that I would be looking to bring somebody else in next season. Just my opinion though.

The Green Goblin
26-01-2019, 02:45 PM
Imagne if Stubbs became caretaket mahager and won us the Cup AGAIN, christ this place would go into meltdown, me included.

:faf: I was just thinking that. It would be unreal.

Baader
It probably makes sense on number of levels. We need an interim manager it appears. He knows the club, the board and is available. Would imagine he will at least be considered.

Lago
He won't get it
I sincerely hope not, what is going on just now is like a throwback to yesteryear & all the dreary football no hope teams. I've been there done that got the tee shirt.

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 02:48 PM
I sincerely hope not, what is going on just now is like a throwback to yesteryear & all the dreary football no hope teams. I've been there done that got the tee shirt.

You’re not really lumping Stubbs into that era of “no hope teams” are you?

makaveli1875
26-01-2019, 02:48 PM
If the question is Tommy Wright or Kenny Miller

then the answer is Alan Stubbs

Diclonius
26-01-2019, 02:54 PM
What happened with Stubbs and Doolan?

ads913
26-01-2019, 03:03 PM
Stubbs has to considered it makes sense if the rumours of in house fight club are true then he's the man to restore the feel-good factor. We have a love affair with Stubbs he's a legend and deserves another go at Hibs especially now. The club is going into a dire direction right now and i rather Lennon sorted this mess out and retains his job, that the suspension serves it purpose giving him time to think about his supposed actions.

Pretty Boy
26-01-2019, 03:12 PM
On the proviso it's short term initially I could support it for 3 main reasons:

He knows the system and trusts the recruitment team so it may still allow us to finalise any transfers that are close.

He's available so we can get a solution in place quickly to start moving on.

A lot of players know him and speak highly of his man managment. He may be able to galvanise a fractured dressing room.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 03:16 PM
What happened with Stubbs and Doolan?

Doolan moved to Accrington where he played and wouldn’t go with Stubbs to St Mirren. I would be surprised if there was any fall out I read an interview with him recently on how much he loves us and is best mates with Stubbs nearly all his life.

Centre Hawf
26-01-2019, 03:20 PM
That doesn't really matter as we bottled it at Ibrox in the play off

Then it doesn't really matter that we finished behind Falkirk cause we bottled it in the play off then too.

Crab apple
26-01-2019, 03:22 PM

Unless there's somebody on LD's shortlist ready to come in now then this is where I'm at too.

One Day Soon
26-01-2019, 03:25 PM
I'm just recalling that at the time when Stubbs was failing abjectly to get us promoted I remember thinking that the style of football we were playing was wrong for the Championship but would have been great for the Premiership. In some respects the cup win proved that.

I'm now thinking bring him back for the rest of this season and let's see...

coldingham hibs
26-01-2019, 03:26 PM
Warnock produced a miracle keeping Rotherham up prior to Stubbs then they lost their two best players and got backed with pennies.

St Mirren also lost their two best players although I would concede it didn’t happen for him there.

Doesn’t make him a dud though. He turned around our club and left it for Lennon to build upon. When Stubbs guys have left the club it’s left us worse off now than when he left that’s for sure.

You also have to consider the fact that since Stubbs left St.Mirren his replacement hasn’t done much if any better. That may indicate that the squad wasn’t good enough.

JimBHibees
26-01-2019, 03:36 PM

Totally agree also very good Derby record plus also a good style of play mostly.

jeffers
26-01-2019, 03:48 PM
I'm just recalling that at the time when Stubbs was failing abjectly to get us promoted I remember thinking that the style of football we were playing was wrong for the Championship but would have been great for the Premiership. In some respects the cup win proved that.

My thoughts exactly.

If he'd be willing to come in immediately on a short term basis we should go for it. I think he'd quickly get up to speed and would give us a chance to get more players in before the window closes and the possibility that this season isn't a write off.

SlickShoes
26-01-2019, 03:51 PM
If he hadn't done something totally amazing no other hibs manager had ever done, he would have been *****. Amazing logic.

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 03:56 PM
If he hadn't done something totally amazing no other hibs manager had ever done, he would have been *****. Amazing logic.

If the Famous Five hadn’t scored for fun and won us three league titles they’d have been slated.

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:13 PM
If Stubbs didn’t win the Scottish Cup vast majority would have wanted him gone. 2 failed promotions (finishing below Falkirk). Losing to Ross County in a cup final. His time would have been up

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 04:14 PM
If Stubbs didn’t win the Scottish Cup vast majority would have wanted him gone. 2 failed promotions (finishing below Falkirk). Losing to Ross County in a cup final. His time would have been up

He did win the Scottish cup though. Just a minor fact you’re overlooking.

we are hibs
26-01-2019, 04:15 PM

But he did win the cup so..

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:16 PM

So why did he take the Rotherham job? Don’t believe this home sickness stuff as he was quick enough to come back up to St Mirren

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:18 PM
He did win the Scottish cup though. Just a minor fact you’re overlooking.

Yeah he won the Scottish Cup but everything else was a failure. John Hughes and Peter Houston have won the Scottish Cup, they have also failed and ain’t good enough

calumhibee1
26-01-2019, 04:19 PM
So why did he take the Rotherham job? Don’t believe this home sickness stuff as he was quick enough to come back up to St Mirren

What home sickness stuff? I’ve never heard anything about that. I’ve no idea why he took the Rotherham job. I thought it was madness at the time and still do now.

Hibeesmad
But he did win the cup so..

Legend for life but shouldn’t mean he should be in charge of the club for life

jeffers

I think he left because of the thing we all know about but can't discuss on here. It's also why I don't think we will approach him now.

heretoday
26-01-2019, 04:20 PM
Stubbs won't come back. Issues.

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:21 PM
What home sickness stuff? I’ve never heard anything about that. I’ve no idea why he took the Rotherham job. I thought it was madness at the time and still do now.

A lot of people at the time seemed to be claiming he was missing home. IMO the board didn’t see him as the way forward to progress the club so happily allowed him to leave, maybe something was agreed prior to the final. That’s why I don’t think he will be back.

sixtwo
26-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Won us the cup. He can do what he wants

Winston Ingram
26-01-2019, 04:24 PM

Like Falkirk for example?

One Day Soon
I think he left because of the thing we all know about but can't discuss on here. It's also why I don't think we will approach him now.

Umm, we all know about? I'll take a DM please.

HibeeHibernian4
If Stubbs didn’t win the Scottish Cup vast majority would have wanted him gone.

Well he did, so.

2 failed promotions (finishing below Falkirk).

The first was in the toughest ever Championship and the second was completely mitigated by two cup finals and winning the Scottish Cup.

Losing to Ross County in a cup final.

Lennon didn't even do well enough in the cups to have the chance to lose a final. Ross County were a top 6 Premiership side at the time and a narrow defeat to them in a final is not the end of the world.

His time would have been up

Debatable, I certainly would've been prepared to give him a crack at the 2016/17 Championship given that the competition was absolutely laughable and Lennon did the absolute bare minimum in getting us up.

calumhibee1
26-01-2019, 04:25 PM

He picked up near enough the same amount of points as Lennon. If Lennon is classed as being able to do it then so should Stubbs.

Tommy75
26-01-2019, 04:25 PM
This place is horrific at times. A few .net experts analysis stretches to "don't get Stubbs back he is a crap manager" followed by "Lennons a crap mamager he won the Championship and finished 4th with a Stubbs team" - bit of a contradiction.

I personally would quite like Stubbs to come in and give it a go. He had an eye for a player and I reckon he would get the best out of players like Kamberi and Mallan who I reckon would thirve under Stubbs 'arm round the shoulder approach'

500miles
26-01-2019, 04:26 PM

Our form tailed off because of the number of games we played, because he got us to 2 Cup finals. It was totally worth it.

Michael
26-01-2019, 04:26 PM
Stubbs won't come back. Issues.

Stuff was roumored when he left, but nothing that would stop him coming back I don't think.

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Well he did, so.

The first was in the toughest ever Championship and the second was completely mitigated by two cup finals and winning the Scottish Cup.

Lennon didn't even do well enough in the cups to have the chance to lose a final. Ross County were a top 6 Premiership side at the time and a narrow defeat to them in a final is not the end of the world.

Debatable, I certainly would've been prepared to give him a crack at the 2016/17 Championship given that the competition was absolutely laughable and Lennon did the absolute bare minimum in getting us up.

His target when he was appointed was to get the club promoted and he failed both times. I love him but he ain’t good enough.

The Green Goblin
26-01-2019, 04:30 PM

I agree.

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 04:33 PM
His target when he was appointed was to get the club promoted and he failed both times. I love him but he ain’t good enough.

He did better than the target because promotion would not have galvanised the club like the Scottish Cup win did. You have a strange way of showing your love for him, I must say.

Waxy
26-01-2019, 04:34 PM
Yeah he won the Scottish Cup but everything else was a failure. John Hughes and Peter Houston have won the Scottish Cup, they have also failed and ain’t good enough

You could probably find a reason not to give anyone any job.

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:36 PM
He did better than the target because promotion would not have galvanised the club like the Scottish Cup win did. You have a strange way of showing your love for him, I must say.

I see where your coming from. I love him for being the manager of the team who won us the Scottish Cup after 114 years. I have no issue with you or anybody else thinking he is good enough to come back. But I’m just sharing that I don’t think he is good enough and explained why. Whoever comes to the club will have my backing 100%.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 04:36 PM

How was everything else a failure?

Look who he brought to the club, look at where we where as a squad when he left to when it began.

Look at the football being played, hammering huns having hearts number magic semi finals. We came second behind a well prepared hearts ahead of Rangers the first season and two cup runs both to finals eventually took its toll in the league the second season. It was unrealistic to expect us to win the league in any of they seasons.

He didn’t take us up no, he brought back that something special though, made it a joy to go to games again and won us the Scottish Cup before leaving.

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:38 PM
You could probably find a reason not to give anyone any job.

Think that’s a bit of an over exaggeration. Stubbs has had quite a similar career to Hughes and Houston

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 04:39 PM
Our form tailed off because of the number of games we played, because he got us to 2 Cup finals. It was totally worth it.

Who in the right mind would swap going up ahead of they cup runs concluding in the Cup win of a lifetime. The guy was an inspiration. I must have groups of hibs friends completely separate from many because I’ve never ever heard anyone say anything but accolades for Stubbsy.

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 04:39 PM
I see where your coming from. I love him for being the manager of the team who won us the Scottish Cup after 114 years. I have no issue with you or anybody else thinking he is good enough to come back. But I’m just sharing that I don’t think he is good enough and explained why. Whoever comes to the club will have my backing 100%.

Fair enough, I do understand you having reservations but I'd be very happy to see it happen, even if it's just until the summer and we can reassess then. :aok:

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Think that’s a bit of an over exaggeration. Stubbs has had quite a similar career to Hughes and Houston

What club did Hughes or Houston turn around? As far as I can remember they carried on the good work by previous managers.

heretoday
26-01-2019, 04:40 PM
Forget Stubbsy. He'll not be back for family reasons. We'll have to go for a completely different punter.

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:41 PM
How was everything else a failure?

Look who he brought to the club, look at where we where as a squad when he left to when it began.

Look at the football being played, hammering huns having hearts number magic semi finals. We came second behind a well prepared hearts ahead of Rangers the first season and two cup runs both to finals eventually took its toll in the league the second season. It was unrealistic to expect us to win the league in any of they seasons.

He didn’t take us up no, he brought back that something special though, made it a joy to go to games again and won us the Scottish Cup before leaving.

He failed in getting us promoted which was our main target. Not good enough

Bishop Hibee
26-01-2019, 04:44 PM
Stubbs will always be a legend but he’s only worth considering as a caretaker until the end of the season if that’s the route the board choose to go down.

Liam978

Hi Jeffers. Thank god someone has had the bottle to say it how it is. Sad but true , but sadly Stubbsy wont be welcome back under the present regime GG2TH.

jacomo

This is just pathetic.

I have no need to ask Rotherham and St Mirren fans about anything, I saw everything I needed to see when Stubbs was at our club.

This need some people have to slag him off just baffles me.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 04:46 PM
He failed in getting us promoted which was our main target. Not good enough

You sure? Is it not usually get as high up the league as possible and have good cup runs?

You think realistically the main target set to Stubbs with no squad was to get promoted ahead of Rangers and Hearts yeah?

Hibeesmad
What club did Hughes or Houston turn around? As far as I can remember they carried on the good work by previous managers.

Hughes got Falkirk promoted. Won with Inverness their first ever Scottish Cup. Got Hibs into Europe.

Houston won the Scottish Cup with Dundee United and finished above Hibs with Falkirk which would have been a huge achievement if that league was as difficult as people as say.

calumhibee1
You sure? Is it not usually get as high up the league as possible and have good cup runs?

You think realistically the main target set to Stubbs with no squad was to get promoted ahead of Rangers and Hearts yeah?

Agree. You’d have been mental to take the job if that’s what you were tasked with.

neil7908
26-01-2019, 04:48 PM
He's definitely worth a shout until the end of the season. I wouldn't be giving him a 5 year deal but we could do a lot worse.

His work post Hibs is an issue but I also feel he picked really bad teams. Rotherham and St Mirren were tough situations to come into with neither side exactly flourishing after he left.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 04:49 PM
Hughes got Falkirk promoted. Won with Inverness their first ever Scottish Cup. Got Hibs into Europe.

Houston won the Scottish Cup with Dundee United and finished above Hibs with Falkirk which would have been a huge achievement if that league was as difficult as people as say.

Did he get Falkirk promoted? Was that his remit? He carried on Leveins good work at Dundee Utd and didn’t have to start from scratch.

Yogi done great at Falkirk completely agree. Sacked at Hibs Calley and Raith. A little more compatible to Stubbs than Houston that’s for sure.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 04:51 PM
Agree. You’d have been mental to take the job if that’s what you were tasked with.

It wouldn’t have been. Didn’t he get a contract extension after the first season?

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 04:52 PM
Did he get Falkirk promoted? Was that his remit? He carried on Leveins good work at Dundee Utd and didn’t have to start from scratch.

Yogi done great at Falkirk completely agree. Sacked at Hibs Calley and Raith. A little more compatible to Stubbs than Houston that’s for sure.

I hope Stubbs goes on to have a fantastic career whether that be with us or not but the Rotherham and St Mirren gigs wouldn’t have helped his case

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 04:53 PM
I hope Stubbs goes on to have a fantastic career whether that be with us or not but the Rotherham and St Mirren gigs wouldn’t have helped his case

I would delete Rotherham but agree about St Mirren mate 👍

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2019, 05:02 PM
Hi Jeffers. Thank god someone has had the bottle to say it how it is. Sad but true , but sadly Stubbsy wont be welcome back under the present regime GG2TH.

Not entirely sure about that. I'm aware of the issue but Stubbs wasn't forced out by the club. His departure was 'encouraged' from elsewhere.

Stubbs might not be our next manager but is most certainly not 'persona non grata' under present regime.

Crab apple
26-01-2019, 05:03 PM

What were the issues? PM if preferred.

brog
26-01-2019, 05:11 PM
NL's player budget last season was 55% higher than Stubb's budget in his 1st season. NL's budget in his Championship season was nearly 40% higher than AS in his 1st season.

Pretty Boy
26-01-2019, 05:15 PM
So in summary:

Apart from leading us to arguably the biggest success in our history Stubbs was crap. Lennon only led us to promotion and 4th because he had Stubbs, who was crap, players. So Lennon was crap too.

To conclude. Everyone is crap.

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 05:16 PM
NL's player budget last season was 55% higher than Stubb's budget in his 1st season. NL's budget in his Championship season was nearly 40% higher than AS in his 1st season.

We got promoted and finished 4th in the premiership, didn’t do too bad out of it. Wonder what we will do with the McGinn money. Do you know if Mallan, Kamberi, Milligan are on as much money as the likes of McGinn, McGeough and Ambrose?

A Hi-Bee
26-01-2019, 05:17 PM
So in summary:

Apart from leading us to arguably the biggest success in our history Stubbs was crap. Lennon only led us to promotion and 4th because he had Stubbs, who was crap, players. So Lennon was crap too.

Sounds like crap to me.

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 05:23 PM

Not doubting you, but out of interest how do you know that? Puts even more of a glowing light on the job Stubbs did if true.

26-01-2019, 05:40 PM
Not entirely sure about that. I'm aware of the issue but Stubbs wasn't forced out by the club. His departure was 'encouraged' from elsewhere.

Stubbs might not be our next manager but is most certainly not 'persona non grata' under present regime.

Sorry but I am not aware of any issues surrounding the departure of Stubbs from the club other than he pretty quickly signed up at Rotherham.
Can anyone provide even an indication of why if it would not be prudent to provide details?

flash
26-01-2019, 05:42 PM
Sorry but I am not aware of any issues surrounding the departure of Stubbs from the club other than he pretty quickly signed up at Rotherham.
Can anyone provide even an indication of why if it would not be prudent to provide details?

It wouldn't be prudent to do that.

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2019, 05:51 PM

Tbf mate I don't know you so I'll not be providing any info.

BullsCloseHibs
26-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Totally agree. No thanks Stubbs.

crash
26-01-2019, 06:00 PM
He is a legend but has gone, gross misconduct, close the thread.

Lester B
26-01-2019, 06:19 PM

Clearly from subsequent responses to this I'm not the only one who doesn't know what 'we all know'. I'm certainly not going to discuss it on here as I haven't a clue what 'we all know'. Anyone care to enlighten me?

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2019, 06:21 PM
Clearly from subsequent responses to this I'm not the only one who doesn't know what 'we all know'. I'm certainly not going to discuss it on here as I haven't a clue what 'we all know'. Anyone care to enlighten me?

I'm certainly not going to discuss it on here.

Lester B
26-01-2019, 06:22 PM
He is a legend but has gone, gross misconduct, close the thread.

Gross misconduct?????

Lester B
26-01-2019, 06:23 PM
I'm certainly not going to discuss it on here.

I wouldn't expect you to. I'm less interested in the detail and more so in the fact that this is something 'we all know' when clearly large swathes of us clearly don't

26-01-2019, 06:27 PM
Gross misconduct?????

I asked the direct question but gross misconduct on the forum is sufficient.
i certainly was not aware of anything like that!

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2019, 06:33 PM
I wouldn't expect you to. I'm less interested in the detail and more so in the fact that this is something 'we all know' when clearly large swathes of us clearly don't

It's not really important. It won't affect the clubs choice moving forward.

Johnny Clash
26-01-2019, 06:51 PM
Who in the right mind would swap going up ahead of they cup runs concluding in the Cup win of a lifetime. The guy was an inspiration. I must have groups of hibs friends completely separate from many because I’ve never ever heard anyone say anything but accolades for Stubbsy.

After Falkirk beat us to enter the final play offs against Kilmarnock many fans realised Srubbsy wasn’t the answer. In fact a Hibs.Net poll recorded 36% of voters wanted Stubbsy gone so there certainly wasn’t just accolades said about Stubbsy!

I think the Cup win would have given him massive support to try one more season but he decided to leave us 11 days later for the mighty Rotherham. A decision he probably regrets and we ended up with a better manager. I agree there’s no point going backwards. We need someone better than Neil Lennon not Stubbsy.

Torto7062
26-01-2019, 06:53 PM
Its actually not a bad idea, he has the respect of some of the players already.Sir can I have 2 off what your having [emoji1787][emoji39][emoji482][emoji481][emoji481][emoji483][emoji485][emoji898]

basehibby
26-01-2019, 07:03 PM
There's such a thing as where a manager and a club are a good fit for each other and Stubbs and Hibs seemed to click. I think this was a lot to do with fan expectations from a manager and Stubbs' default style of play overlapping big style. He favours an expansive style which most Hibs fans approve of and he definitely "got" the club in terms of it's stature, history and aspirations.

His move to Rotherham never made sense to me though - Rotherham were minows in the English Championship and they were never likely to get anywhere in that league trying to play expansive football on their relatively tiny budget. You could probably say the same for St Mirren. Also if there's a pattern emerging it's that Stubbs does well in a "rip it up and start again" scenario which can work in reverse with an already successful newly promoted team. He was a great cup manager for Hibs though and made some great signings for us.

On the down side, Stubbs' teams were perceived to lack a certain grittyness and were prone to getting mugged by lesser opponents in the league at times. This certainly isn't any less a challenge in the SPL.

On the whole he is definitely a very decent candidate - although I wonder if he'll ever be able to match the halcyon days of superb cup runs culminating in his 2016 triumph. Could that cup lightning strike twice? If he could guarantee that then I'd take him in a flash :greengrin

Johnny Clash
26-01-2019, 07:20 PM

After Falkirk beat us to enter the final play offs against Kilmarnock many fans realised Srubbsy wasn’t the answer. In fact a Hibs.Net poll recorded 36% of voters wanted Stubbsy gone so there certainly wasn’t just accolades said about Stubbsy!

I think the Cup win would have given him massive support to try one more season but he decided to leave us 11 days later for the mighty Rotherham. A decision he probably regrets and we ended up with a better manager. I agree there’s no point going backwards. We need someone better than Neil Lennon not Stubbsy.

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Was there a poll after the cup final?

Opinion is fluid. I'm guessing if there was one it would've been 0%

Cameron1875
26-01-2019, 07:28 PM

Oh my my my.

I can taste the Hampden Asda champagne already.

JimBHibees
26-01-2019, 07:36 PM
So in summary:

That about sums it up. Won the cup best league position in years and a couple of points from 2nd in the league but as you say everything is crap. Really is a bipolar convention at times here. Absolutely no context the social media world summed up.

JimBHibees
26-01-2019, 07:43 PM

That will be the Falkirk tie we were absolutely done over by the ref mafia. Ironically it helped us win the holy grail by giving us a weeks rest before the final.

TrinityHibs
26-01-2019, 09:02 PM
He's achieved nothing wherever else he's been, but so has Allan.

Think Allan doesn’t have the managerial experience to be considered

26-01-2019, 09:54 PM
He left on the biggest possible high, for me he should leave it at that.

I love Stubbs, he gave us the greatest day of our lives and the man will go down in history as a club legend but we mustn't let sentiment cloud judgment here. The reality is that Stubbs had 2 attempts to take us out the championship and failed to do so. Granted, when he arrived at the club he was tasked with literally building a team from total scratch and that's a big ask, especially for a man new to management however, some of the form in that league wasn't good enough.

SquashedFrogg
26-01-2019, 10:04 PM

I love Stubbs, he gave us the greatest day of our lives and the man will go down in history as a club legend but we mustn't let sentiment cloud judgment here. The reality is that Stubbs had 2 attempts to take us out the championship and failed to do so. Granted, when he arrived at the club he was tasked with literally building a team from total scratch and that's a big ask, especially for a man new to management however, some of the form in that league wasn't good enough.

He left after winning the greatest game in our history.

Waxy
26-01-2019, 10:05 PM

First season in the championship we should have been written off. Having to build a team from scratch yet we still finished above the zombies.
Second season we lost out to a better Zombies team who we then beat in the Scottish cup final. Only dodgy reffing kept us down.
I have no doubt he would have taken us up the next seaon as Lennon did.The chance he may not have was probably part of his decision to leave.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 10:10 PM
First season in the championship we should have been written off. Having to build a team from scratch yet we still finished above the zombies.
Second season we lost out to a better Zombies team who we then beat in the Scottish cup final. Only dodgy reffing kept us down.
I have no doubt he would have taken us up the next seaon as Lennon did.The chance he may not have was probably part of his decision to leave.

Even the first season we made the Scottish Cup Semi. Your post is spot on though. My only regret was he didn’t stay one last year to take us up then Lennon comes in, Cummings signs a new deal to get it up people who claim aStubbs would never take us up and JC couldn’t cut it in the Orem.

Who knows though, we may see it this season?

WeeRussell
27-01-2019, 12:04 AM

Good post. I can understand some people not wanting it to be Stubbs next but starting a thread to slag the very thought of it, and then supposed Hibs fans using said thread to slag Stubbs himself?! Very peculiar and sad.

Phil MaGlass
27-01-2019, 09:48 AM
I would take him back until the end of the season, he knows the club the players and the fans, a steady pair of hands is all we need until the end of the season.