PDA

View Full Version : Neil Lennon, I neither Love nor Hate you

Keith_M
26-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Just as a bit of balance to the other rather extreme threads, I thought I'd start one for those of us that think he's neither the Devil nor the Second Coming of Christ.

He got us promoted from the Championship, not exactly in a spectacular fashion but he did what was required. I don't see how anybody can complain about that.

He's overseen some poor transfer windows, such as last summer, and also a fantastic one last January when, among other things, he revamped the forward line with great success.

He's shown a great winning attitude at times but there's been occasions when he's had what can only be described as temper tantrums, particularly after the game at Tynecastle earlier this season.

He's shown some great tactical nous, like beating Celtic 2-0 a few weeks back but there's been far too many occasions recently when he's put out teams that have had us scratching our heads, with no obvious game plan.

If he leaves then he does so with my best wishes for the future, as I bear him no ill will, but he's also not irreplaceable.

Cat Stanton
26-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Just as a bit of balance to the other rather extreme threads, I thought I'd start one for those of us that think he's neither the Devil nor the Second Coming of Christ.

He got us promoted from the Championship, not exactly in a spectacular fashion but he did what was required. I don't see how anybody can complain about that.

He's overseen some poor transfer windows, such as last summer, and also a fantastic one last January when, among other things, he revamped the forward line with great success.

He's shown a great winning attitude at times but there's been occasions when he's had what can only be described as temper tantrums, particularly after the game at Tynecastle earlier this season.

He's shown some great tactical nous, like beating Celtic 2-0 a few weeks back but there's been far too many occasions recently when he's put out teams that have had us scratching our heads, with no obvious game plan.

If he leaves then he does so with my best wishes for the future, as I bear him no ill will, but he's also not irreplaceable.

Far too reasonable an assessment for this forum. We'll have no more of that, thank you very much. Now queue the seethers below..

danhibees1875
26-01-2019, 10:23 AM
Can't disagree with any of that. :aok:

Was happy with a lot of what Lennon brought to the table, but the formations, team selections, and apparent man-management issues were starting to grate on me and I think we can seek the positives out of a managerial change.

Keith_M
26-01-2019, 10:24 AM
Far too reasonable an assessment for this forum. We'll have no more of that, thank you very much. Now queue the seethers below..

:greengrin

Sorry.

Bostonhibby
26-01-2019, 10:30 AM

If he leaves then he does so with my best wishes for the future, as I bear him no ill will, but he's also not irreplaceable.Agree with all of that.

I just think that one way or the other he's contributed to the recent decline when his job was to do the opposite. If that's right then it's time for everyone to move on. Abysmal timing but it's been up and down every couple of years at Hibs for as long as I can remember.

Onwards and upwards. Maybe not this season though.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

A Hi-Bee
26-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Love, Hate its a football club we are talking about not life or death all a bit drama queen if you ask me, Neil (The Aeroplane) Lennon was a very capable football manager for our club but something went wrong somewhere down the line, that happens in all walks of life and football is a business at the end of the day no matter how passionate us supporters may be.

calumhibee1
26-01-2019, 10:31 AM

Agree. He’d been good for Hibs. But he was no longer good for Hibs. Good luck in whatever you do next Neil and thanks for the second half of last season especially.

SRHibs
26-01-2019, 10:34 AM
I’m the same. There’s been some great times, but it’s all pretty much evened our over the course of his tenure. I don’t agree with this “he’s a pure winner/he’s the best Hibs manager ever” rhetoric, especially when the basis for these comments seems to be his “passion” and not the results themselves. Think he’ll struggle to get a semi-decent gig after this.

NAE NOOKIE
26-01-2019, 10:40 AM

Exactly. NL has been well supported by the fans for two reasons.... 1) Because he did the job he was expected to do by getting us promoted and followed it up with a decent season ... and 2) because he is a hate figure for other fans in Scottish football and it was natural for us to want to be supportive of him. You can chuck in that he was also from time to time prone to wearing his heart on his sleeve, something fans like.

But … he also had / has his faults, both in man management and as a tactician ….. I think he has done ok as our manager, but how that equates to comments like 'best manager we have had since Turnbull' or massive optimism that he would inevitably lead us to greater success, when since leaving Celtic his record has been at best unproven, is beyond me.

I wish him well in management and in his personal life, both of which would probably benefit from a return to England where the assholes who seem to hate him for daring to stand his ground against the morons and bigots wont be a factor.

fulshie
26-01-2019, 10:47 AM
I have to say I like NL but, there has been team selections that have been baffling during his time and yet, he seems to do well in the big games we have played since he came. Its a tough one to take and something we don't need at this time. I'll reserve judgement on his suspension until we fully know the details as to why.

greenlex
26-01-2019, 05:12 PM
Neither up nor down to be honest. I’ve had my doubts over him since early in his tenure. We could do worse but I’m certain we could do better with current resources.

Swedish hibee
26-01-2019, 05:28 PM
I don't understand all this Catholic Irish stuff fully- it's goes over my head, so he's always a bit meh for me. But I grew to like him bit more last season! It's sad it's ended this way, but Hibs come first. Always.

HibeeHibernian4
26-01-2019, 05:36 PM
Neil Lennon, I'm hungry.

esjorto
26-01-2019, 05:44 PM
I have to say I like NL but, there has been team selections that have been baffling during his time and yet, he seems to do well in the big games we have played since he came. Its a tough one to take and something we don't need at this time. I'll reserve judgement on his suspension until we fully know the details as to why.
Fully agree.

MWHIBBIES
26-01-2019, 05:50 PM
This is the truth. We've had some brilliant performances and some games where we could play all week and not score. Games were we've not even had a plan on how to score. Some inspired selection, some dreadful ones.

Recently we've been awful and Lennon is to blame for that. Acting an arse and getting himself suspended has probably saved the club having to sack him.

Malthibby
26-01-2019, 05:54 PM
Always been a fan & sad it seems to be ending much earlier than I had hoped, but if it's over it's over & Hibs have to move on.
GG

CathroMustStay
26-01-2019, 06:06 PM
I don't understand all this Catholic Irish stuff fully- it's goes over my head, so he's always a bit meh for me. But I grew to like him bit more last season! It's sad it's ended this way, but Hibs come first. Always.

First part of what you said was moronic and ignorant, last part fair enough.

hibbydog
26-01-2019, 06:26 PM

This is neither the place or time for well thought through balanced opinions.

Far too reasoned and backed up by facts and examples.

😎

Borderhibbie76
26-01-2019, 06:52 PM

If he leaves then he does so with my best wishes for the future, as I bear him no ill will, but he's also not irreplaceable.This is pretty much where I am with it all really split 50/50 on it...he's nowhere near as good as some posters make out on here or as I believe he himself thinks he is TBH. Last season was great - this one has been pretty grim under his stewardship

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Forza Fred
26-01-2019, 08:15 PM
Yep, just like players, managers come, and managers go, it is part of football.

He was a high profile manager who raised our expectations and for a while the ‘feel good’ aura from our cup win was extended.

But that progress has shuddered to a halt, and a feeling of negativity now is in place.

Neil’s outburst after last season’s Tynecastle defeat where he said he was considering leaving, broke a bit of a bond for me, and rightly or wrongly, left me with the impression that he thinks he is bigger than the club.

His make up, made me really consider whether he is indeed suited to the enormous stresses and strains that accompany football club management, and perhaps a prolonged rest will see him emerge in a much better frame of mind and ready for his nextt challenge.

He said recently that he wished as a player that he had played overseas and experienced a different culture.

I think this might be an ideal time to do that as a manager.... recharge the batteries in a warmer climate without any of the sectarian baggage that has shadowed him in the past, and possibly enjoy his role once more.

His time was certainly not boring at ER, and no doubt he did what he thought was his best, but his time is over now.

I wish him well, and if he ever got a gig in Australia, would be the first person to shake his hand.