PDA

View Full Version : The Players.

RossScott1991
26-01-2019, 01:15 AM
Board and Lennon aside for one minute.

Just want to say how utterly pathetic some of the players have been this season bar a small handful, you can blame formations / injuries all they want but when you have players who ain’t been able to do the basics then you have a massive problem.

I of course exclude new signings, Gauld must be wondering what circus he has joined. And I hope the ink has dried on the Scott Allan contract.

Forza Fred
26-01-2019, 01:20 AM
Board and Lennon aside for one minute.

Just want to say how utterly pathetic some of the players have been this season bar a small handful, you can blame formations / injuries all they want but when you have players who ain’t been able to do the basics then you have a massive problem.

I of course exclude new signings, Gauld must be wondering what circus he has joined. And I hope the ink has dried on the Scott Allan contract.

Does raise the question ‘why have they been like that’ though

We all cheered when we got a couple back from last season, and now it appears, they are deemed not up to standard.

Several others I agree not playing as we would like, but again why would they go from hero to zero so quickly?

Understand about our midfield going, but surely we, like competing clubs, have had the time to adjust?

Pretty Boy
26-01-2019, 01:32 AM
It will be interesting to see the reaction from them on Sunday.

I’m not going to slaughter them, or Lennon, as we don’t know what has been going on behind closed doors. I daresay a few things will come out in the wash in the coming weeks that may enlighten us one way or another. I’ve worked in unpleasant environments before and it’s not always easy to perform at your best when there are ongoing problems. If that has indeed been the case at Hibs it may explain a few things.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 01:33 AM
We will win on Sunday. I’m certain of it.

Dr_Regal
26-01-2019, 01:55 AM
Who are you talking about? Be specific on which players.

IMO

Kamberi has looked like a completely different player from last year. Its actually incredible to watch, I can't explain it. I think he might have a monster contract, in Hibs terms, and that's why Lennon is so angry with him.

Bartley and Mallan are crap, I don't rate either. Mallans free kicks are why he is a professional footballer. Maloney did the same thing, I grew up with him, decent like, quick etc. But he would practice free kicks on his own for hours with his dad. B

Hanlon has been **** much of the year. Clumsy

McGregor and Whittaker legs have gone. (Like that's not patently obvious to everyone watching)

Mallan is mince.

McLaren is mince.

26-01-2019, 01:55 AM
I agree, the players need to be held accountable also. Far too often in football the players get off scot free and the manager takes the bullet. The manager puts the team together, arranges the tactics and is in charge for motivating the team so they do sometimes deserve to be in the firing line but ultimately its the players that are on the park playing. Some players in football aren't man enough to take responsibility and are happy to let the manager take blame.

We are half way through the season, we aren't sitting pretty in the league, far below where we should be competing but we still have 4 months or so to turn things around. We can save the "what went wrong and whos to blame" for after the seasons done and dusted, now, regardless of whether Lennon is away or not, the team need to be rallying together.

Hibeesmad
26-01-2019, 02:29 AM
Sunday is going to be tough. St Mirren are battling at the bottom and have already taken a point off us at Easter Road not long ago. We should be winning the match but it’s not going to be easy.

Hermit Crab
26-01-2019, 04:11 AM
St Mirren 4/1 yer cash!

WeeRussell
26-01-2019, 04:34 AM
St Mirren 4/1 yer cash!

That’s the most upbeat you’ve seemed on here in a long time HC :) an exclamation mark and everything ;)

I’m sure you’ll join me in hoping your bet gets pumped though!!

we are hibs
26-01-2019, 04:57 AM
I reckon we will pump st.mirren now. And I reckon we might actually try play some football now

Danderhall Hibs
26-01-2019, 07:05 AM
If he did “lose the dressing room” my money’s on an early goal for us on Sunday.

Northernhibee
26-01-2019, 07:09 AM
We have a good team of players who look terrified of making a mistake or don’t seem to know what role they play. I’m not going to call them pathetic.

Allant1981
26-01-2019, 07:17 AM
Of course the players have to take some responsibility, yes some of the team selections have been baffling this year but they should still be doing much better than they have, regardless of what issues they may have with their manager

Jones28
26-01-2019, 07:37 AM
Watch us steamroller st mirren on Sunday now 😂

Northernhibee
26-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Of course the players have to take some responsibility, yes some of the team selections have been baffling this year but they should still be doing much better than they have, regardless of what issues they may have with their manager
Tbf Horgan isn’t a RWB, Hanlon hasn’t been a LB for years, Stevenson hasn’t been a DM for years, nor is Boyle a natural striker, nor is Slivka a RM or RB, nor is Mallon suited to playing deep.

Killie are flying because happy players are being played in the right positions. It’s just common sense.

Allant1981
26-01-2019, 07:44 AM
Tbf Horgan isn’t a RWB, Hanlon hasn’t been a LB for years, Stevenson hasn’t been a DM for years, nor is Boyle a natural striker, nor is Slivka a RM or RB, nor is Mallon suited to playing deep.

Killie are flying because happy players are being played in the right positions. It’s just common sense.

How often have said players played in the positions you have just mentioned(with the exception of Slivka who I agree about) from memory I think last week was Hanlon first game at LB all season? Stevenson has played almost every game except 1 or 2 I think at LB and Horgan has mainly been used out on the left wing or right wing

Northernhibee
26-01-2019, 07:47 AM
How often have said players played in the positions you have just mentioned(with the exception of Slivka who I agree about) from memory I think last week was Hanlon first game at LB all season? Stevenson has played almost every game except 1 or 2 I think at LB and Horgan has mainly been used out on the left wing or right wing
But he has been played there, Hanlon was played there when two Lbs sat on the bench, a natural RB sat on the bench.

in both games Slivka was at RB a natural RB in Whittaker was in central midfield, Slivka’s natural position. Eight ****ing defensive players vs Killie.

If there was reasoning or logic behind it fair enough but it’s baffling.

Allant1981
26-01-2019, 07:52 AM
But he has been played there, Hanlon was played there when two Lbs sat on the bench, a natural RB sat on the bench.

in both games Slivka was at RB a natural RB in Whittaker was in central midfield, Slivka’s natural position. Eight ****ing defensive players vs Killie.

If there was reasoning or logic behind it fair enough but it’s baffling.

A player of Hanlons experience should have been able to play LB a lot better than he had though, these players aren't young guys just starting out(Shaw excluded) that defence is one of the most experienced in the league and yet have been playing gash, that's not down to Lennon, that's just playing poorly

hibbydog
26-01-2019, 08:08 AM
Who are you talking about? Be specific on which players.

IMO

Kamberi has looked like a completely different player from last year. Its actually incredible to watch, I can't explain it. I think he might have a monster contract, in Hibs terms, and that's why Lennon is so angry with him.

Bartley and Mallan are crap, I don't rate either. Mallans free kicks are why he is a professional footballer. Maloney did the same thing, I grew up with him, decent like, quick etc. But he would practice free kicks on his own for hours with his dad. B

Hanlon has been **** much of the year. Clumsy

McGregor and Whittaker legs have gone. (Like that's not patently obvious to everyone watching)

Mallan is mince.

McLaren is mince.

I think that’s fair. But worth mentioning that Lennon should be accountable for not understanding how old and slow Whittaker and McGregor (plus others) have become.

Yes, the players have been pants, but the blame for the squad resembling an old folks home lies squarely at the managers door.

SirDavidsNapper
26-01-2019, 08:09 AM
The players have shown already this season they are more than capible. They were obviously not playing for Lennon.

Allant1981
26-01-2019, 08:10 AM
I think that’s fair. But worth mentioning that Lennon should be accountable for not understanding how old and slow Whittaker and McGregor (plus others) have become.

Yes, the players have been pants, but the blame for the squad resembling an old folks home lies squarely at the managers door.

Yet McGregor is barely beaten in a foot race for the ball, wish I was that slow!

hibbydog
26-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Yet McGregor is barely beaten in a foot race for the ball, wish I was that slow!

I agree that his positional sense is good, my problem is the injuries and slow recovery time that comes with age. 90% of the team should be able to play twice a week. We’ve got too many that can’t, and it shows.

And playing McGregor next to Whittaker Is lunacy!!

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 09:02 AM
A player of Hanlons experience should have been able to play LB a lot better than he had though, these players aren't young guys just starting out(Shaw excluded) that defence is one of the most experienced in the league and yet have been playing gash, that's not down to Lennon, that's just playing poorly

Hanlon has lost a yard of pace since being injured so sticking on the left against a pacy winger was ludicrous. Even coming through Hanlon was dodgy at LB.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 09:03 AM
I agree that his positional sense is good, my problem is the injuries and slow recovery time that comes with age. 90% of the team should be able to play twice a week. We’ve got too many that can’t, and it shows.

And playing McGregor next to Whittaker Is lunacy!!

Yep. As soon as they couldn’t target Hanlon anymore the amount of times they hit the left hand side and just strolled past both them.

cleanyman
26-01-2019, 09:03 AM
The players should be ashamed

Too many have not been good enough but I doubt many of them could play better anyway.

Allant1981
26-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Hanlon has lost a yard of pace since being injured so sticking on the left against a pacy winger was ludicrous. Even coming through Hanlon was dodgy at LB.

But thats where his experience should come into it, same as whittaker on the other side, they arent very quick so sit off a bit, dont let him run at you or don't come in to close so if he does beat you then you are left 5 yards behind straight away, I agree he isn't the best LB but he should be able to play there with no major issues

flash
26-01-2019, 09:08 AM

Too many have not been good enough but I doubt many of them could play better anyway.

If they can't play any better why should they be ashamed?

Hermit Crab
26-01-2019, 09:09 AM

I know I'm negative at times but you are unbelievable! Rubbish!

cleanyman
26-01-2019, 09:09 AM
If they can't play any better why should they be ashamed?

If you're a has been like Whittaker and McGregor absolutely

Then we have the gutless Mallan in the middle

I could go on and on

cleanyman
26-01-2019, 09:10 AM

I don't see it

Allant1981
26-01-2019, 09:12 AM
I don't see it

You genuinely don't think you are negative? I don't think I've ever seen a positive post from you

JimBHibees
If you're a has been like Whittaker and McGregor absolutely

Then we have the gutless Mallan in the middle

I could go on and on

unfortunately for everyone else you do relentlessly. :greengrin

Heisenberg

Why? Lennon has ****ed them all over on numerous occasions this season with mental team selections, his behaviour on the touch line and after games in the press.

If my manager acted the same way that Lennon has i’d be absolutely raging.

JimBHibees
You genuinely don't think you are negative? I don't think I've ever seen a positive post from you

Agree he clearly hates everything about Hibs.

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 09:13 AM
But thats where his experience should come into it, same as whittaker on the other side, they arent very quick so sit off a bit, dont let him run at you or don't come in to close so if he does beat you then you are left 5 yards behind straight away, I agree he isn't the best LB but he should be able to play there with no major issues

Surely that’s where the managers experience comes into it? Hanlon wasn’t fast enough to play left back and Whittaker was questionable at right back but his pace used to help him. We improved when Mackie came on, again wouldn’t that dent the young guys confidence sitting there watching a player who is not 100% struggle yet he was on the bench? Same with Slivka just dropped for nothing. Bartley I have to commend his professionalism being completely overlooked for ages then coming in and I thought done a good job - as a centre half as Mcgregor was away helping out Whittaker all the time. It really was an unorganised mess. Wasn’t that what the Dubai trip was for? Yet Lennon said we played well apart from the forwards. Baffling.

Allant1981
26-01-2019, 09:17 AM
Surely that’s where the managers experience comes into it? Hanlon wasn’t fast enough to play left back and Whittaker was questionable at right back but his pace used to help him. We improved when Mackie came on, again wouldn’t that dent the young guys confidence sitting there watching a player who is not 100% struggle yet he was on the bench? Same with Slivka just dropped for nothing. Bartley I have to commend his professionalism being completely overlooked for ages then coming in and I thought done a good job - as a centre half as Mcgregor was away helping out Whittaker all the time. It really was an unorganised mess. Wasn’t that what the Dubai trip was for? Yet Lennon said we played well apart from the forwards. Baffling.

I agree he shouldn't have played LB, I actually wouldn't have played him at all as I do t think he has been anywhere near good enough, but rightly or wrongly he did play and should have done better, as the whole defence should have, it's been a strange few months on and off the park and hopefully it gets better going forward

The 90+2
26-01-2019, 09:20 AM
I agree he shouldn't have played LB, I actually wouldn't have played him at all as I do t think he has been anywhere near good enough, but rightly or wrongly he did play and should have done better, as the whole defence should have, it's been a strange few months on and off the park and hopefully it gets better going forward

👍 good man. Get your point too.

WeeRussell
26-01-2019, 10:32 PM

At least yours seem genuine and are sometimes uniquely humorous.

AgentDaleCooper
26-01-2019, 10:50 PM
I've always backed lennon, but alarm bells started ringing for me when olly shaw said in an interview a few weeks back that they take what he says 'with a pinch of salt'. Suggests to me that either the squad have a bad attitude, or that lennon has overused the hairdryer treatment and refusing to try a different approach. Tomorrow's game will be very interesting indeed.

heid the baw
26-01-2019, 11:04 PM
Irrespective of players slowing down, injuries and so on, this is not the reason that he has been suspended. Clearly he has acted in a way that is deemed highly unacceptable. His actions. Nothing to do with the players

MyJo
26-01-2019, 11:09 PM
Whittaker - mince 90% of the time he is on the pitch but is constantly shoehorned into the team, often at the expense of positional standouts like Gray and Bartley.

Kamberi - Shadow of the player he was last season it’s like the confidence has been literally drained out of him. Thankless task being played as a lone striker in front of an uncreative midfield.

Slivka - played as a right wing back and right midfielder and struggles. Gets a chance centrally plays well, shines against Elgin and dumped on the bench for the next game.

Mallan - Look we’ve signed an exciting attacking midfielder who can shoot from distance and give us goals from midfield - 6 weeks later he is playing as a defensive midfielder.

Milligan - Signed as a defensive midfielder who can carry the ball a bit better than Bartley does, we go on a run of wins after he signs so he obviously gets put back to play centre half for a while.

Bartley - clearly unfancied and only gets a game when there’s little other choice

Gray - our best performances and run of form have been with him in the team, we should be desperate to get him back on the pitch but hes not. Seemingly in the same boat as Bartley.

Horgan - left winger we have been interested in for a long time, finally get him signed and..............play him as a central midfielder!

Ambrose - Golden boy, turns up to training when he feels like it, makes mistakes during matches that lose us goals and barely a shrug from Lennon. Decides to f*** off in the middle of the season and Lennon still publically saying he would love to have him back in the same breath as criticising the players that are still here and committed to the club.

Hyndman - should have been a cracking player for us, showed it at Rangers not too long ago yet looked like he literally couldn’t care less when on the pitch for us.

And so on and so on throughout the squad. It’s not all the player fault and it’s little wonder they are demoralised and underperforming.

AgentDaleCooper
27-01-2019, 12:03 AM
Whittaker - mince 90% of the time he is on the pitch but is constantly shoehorned into the team, often at the expense of positional standouts like Gray and Bartley.

Kamberi - Shadow of the player he was last season it’s like the confidence has been literally drained out of him. Thankless task being played as a lone striker in front of an uncreative midfield.

Slivka - played as a right wing back and right midfielder and struggles. Gets a chance centrally plays well, shines against Elgin and dumped on the bench for the next game.

Mallan - Look we’ve signed an exciting attacking midfielder who can shoot from distance and give us goals from midfield - 6 weeks later he is playing as a defensive midfielder.

Milligan - Signed as a defensive midfielder who can carry the ball a bit better than Bartley does, we go on a run of wins after he signs so he obviously gets put back to play centre half for a while.

Bartley - clearly unfancied and only gets a game when there’s little other choice

Gray - our best performances and run of form have been with him in the team, we should be desperate to get him back on the pitch but hes not. Seemingly in the same boat as Bartley.

Horgan - left winger we have been interested in for a long time, finally get him signed and..............play him as a central midfielder!

Ambrose - Golden boy, turns up to training when he feels like it, makes mistakes during matches that lose us goals and barely a shrug from Lennon. Decides to f*** off in the middle of the season and Lennon still publically saying he would love to have him back in the same breath as criticising the players that are still here and committed to the club.

Hyndman - should have been a cracking player for us, showed it at Rangers not too long ago yet looked like he literally couldn’t care less when on the pitch for us.

And so on and so on throughout the squad. It’s not all the player fault and it’s little wonder they are demoralised and underperforming.

Astute observations, it almost seems like he wanted to fail.

SChibs
27-01-2019, 12:49 AM

A bit harsh on Ambrose. He carried the team forward in the first half of the season and looked like our only creative and entertaining spark in what has been a pretty crap season so far. He probably took his opportunity to get out while he could and who can blame him with this shambles we have now. Hardly a golden boy Lennon called him out at the start of the season for making mistakes, after that he took his performances up a level.

The 90+2
27-01-2019, 12:54 AM

This post should be bookmarked or made a sticky (the right word) when anyone questions what has went wrong. It’s crystal clear. Fantastic input.

The 90+2
27-01-2019, 12:57 AM
A bit harsh on Ambrose. He carried the team forward in the first half of the season and looked like our only creative and entertaining spark in what has been a pretty crap season so far. He probably took his opportunity to get out while he could and who can blame him with this shambles we have now. Hardly a golden boy Lennon called him out at the start of the season for making mistakes, after that he took his performances up a level.

When was it Lennon said he didn’t know where Ambrose was? Now if that was Florian....

I love Efe by the way but he seemed to be able to do as he wished nd I’ve no doubt he’s been tipped off by Lennon he would leave soon also. I wouldn’t be surprised I Rocky leaves in the next few days either.

Captain Trips
27-01-2019, 12:57 AM

Spot on Slivka not starting on Wednesday really surprised me as we are surely trying to get him to do better he did and then is dropped.

we are hibs
27-01-2019, 05:21 AM

Horgan has played the majority of the season behind in behind the striker. Not out wide.

LustForLeith
27-01-2019, 06:14 AM
I’m hoping it’s a lack of confidence.it might not have helped with injuries, the early start to the campaign, baffling formations and team selections.

It’s frustrating when you consider that when we were good last season we were unreal. I started to get pessimistic towards the end of the season as you knew Dylan would go, McGinn would be sold and at that point we weren’t certain to get Allan back. Any club would struggle with losing one of those players nevermind all three.

Coupled with the fact that Kamberi and Jamie MacLaren have struggled to capture the form they showed last season and it’s been brutal.

I like Lennon and on a personal level I hope he’s coping mentally ( as someone who suffered from depression I sympathise with what he’s gone through). However, I wish he’d worked out his best players, starting eleven and formation and stick with that week in week out (baring injuries and suspensions). I wouldn’t put that down to his mental health, more a poor sense of judgment.