PDA

View Full Version : NHC Cubs win world series

SirDavidsNapper
25-01-2019, 05:27 PM
With all the doom and gloom on the board at the moment i thought this would cheer us up. Not a fan of American sport but i think every one of us can relate to this. 21/5/16 🏆

Isn't sport just wonderful?

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/LbtihQOOMTU

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

One Day Soon
25-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Oh man, I am crying my ****ing eyes out here. Brings 21 May back all over again. You can recognise their deep, deep emotion, it is exactly what we had.

Loved that, thanks for posting it.

Hibbyradge
25-01-2019, 05:50 PM
Fantastic!!!! 👍👍👍👍👍

Well done Cubs!

linlithgowhibbie
25-01-2019, 05:51 PM
With all the doom and gloom on the board at the moment i thought this would cheer us up. Not a fan of American sport but i think every one of us can relate to this.

Enjoy

Someone should link our celebrations on 21/05/16 to that :thumbsup:

Souter96Mac
25-01-2019, 05:55 PM
I'm a big fan of the Cubs. I think one reason was the similarity between Hibs and Cubs with their hoodoos

SirDavidsNapper
25-01-2019, 05:58 PM
Probably a feeling only Cubs and Hibs fans will ever truly understand

Lago
25-01-2019, 05:58 PM
With all the doom and gloom on the board at the moment i thought this would cheer us up. Not a fan of American sport but i think every one of us can relate to this.

Enjoy

The world series, a game played in North America, Cuba & Japan. Well it's a bit of the world😁

Hibbyradge
25-01-2019, 06:00 PM
Oh man, I am crying my ****ing eyes out here. Brings 21 May back all over again. You can recognise their deep, deep emotion, it is exactly what we had.

Loved that, thanks for posting it.

I'm the same. I've had to stop watching because I want my wife to see it with me.

We were both at Wrigley Field when the Cubs beat the Brewers last August so we have an affinity, even if the colours are not to my taste! 😁

rossevenil
25-01-2019, 06:02 PM
As a Red Sox fan I think that the City of Boston also knows the feeling having waited 86 years to again win the World Series on the back of the curse of the bambino.
So many near things over the years before they finally won it and the scenes of "Exhuberance" in Boston were something else.

danhibees1875
25-01-2019, 06:05 PM
The world series, a game played in North America, Cuba & Japan. Well it's a bit of the world😁

Is it not named after a newspaper called "the world"? Or is that a myth?

LustForLeith
25-01-2019, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know if Bill Murray has sobered up yet?

Hibbyradge
25-01-2019, 06:22 PM
The world series, a game played in North America, Cuba & Japan. Well it's a bit of the world��

There was a story that it was originally sponsored by The World newspaper, but that's a myth. I looked it up and I found that there was a newspaper involvement but not The World.

It was originally called The championship of the United States until The Sporting Life hyped it up and called it The World's Championship..

It was called that and World's Championship Series and all sorts until it was first called World Series in 1924.

It was still called different variations until World Series stuck in 1936.

In summary, the name gradually changed
from the 1880's "Champions of the World."
to the 1900's worlds's series
(note the use of the uncapitalized plural possessive)
to the 1920's World's Series
to the 1930's World Series (modern form)

https://www.rose-hulman.edu/~rickert/BB/wsname.html

Hibbyradge
25-01-2019, 06:23 PM
Does anyone know if Bill Murray has sobered up yet?

Not a chance! ��

hibsbollah
25-01-2019, 07:11 PM
I'm a cubby too. Fantastic when they finally did it.

Lago
25-01-2019, 07:13 PM
:top marks
There was a story that it was originally sponsored by The World newspaper, but that's a myth. I looked it up and I found that there was a newspaper involvement but not The World.

It was originally called The championship of the United States until The Sporting Life hyped it up and called it The World's Championship..

It was called that and World's Championship Series and all sorts until it was first called World Series in 1924.

It was still called different variations until World Series stuck in 1936.

In summary, the name gradually changed
from the 1880's "Champions of the World."
to the 1900's worlds's series
(note the use of the uncapitalized plural possessive)
to the 1920's World's Series
to the 1930's World Series (modern form)

https://www.rose-hulman.edu/~rickert/BB/wsname.html

SouthMoroccoStu
25-01-2019, 07:23 PM
As a Red Sox fan I think that the City of Boston also knows the feeling having waited 86 years to again win the World Series on the back of the curse of the bambino.
So many near things over the years before they finally won it and the scenes of "Exhuberance" in Boston were something else.

Only 86 years....

Glory hunters

SouthMoroccoStu
25-01-2019, 07:28 PM
Are they just getting their dvd our now? Christ they’re as bad as us...

I want to say Hibs sent the cubs a tweet to congratulate them on their win (tying in our own success) and it was acknowledged by the official account

SirDavidsNapper
25-01-2019, 07:29 PM

I want to say Hibs sent the cubs a tweet to congratulate them on their win (tying in our own success) and it was acknowledged by the official account

That rings a bell

bawheid
25-01-2019, 07:32 PM
Cubs win world series against Miami?

Yeah. Who would've thought? 100 to 1 shot! I wish I could go back to the beginning of the season, put some money on the Cubs.

I just meant Miami-... what did you just say?

I said I wish I could go back to the beginning of the season, put some money on the Cubbies!

SirDavidsNapper
25-01-2019, 07:32 PM

I want to say Hibs sent the cubs a tweet to congratulate them on their win (tying in our own success) and it was acknowledged by the official accountFound ithttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190125/6efd5e170deec4823636948b01d2ca27.jpg

SouthMoroccoStu
25-01-2019, 07:34 PM
Found ithttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190125/6efd5e170deec4823636948b01d2ca27.jpg

Great find SirDavids

lyonhibs
25-01-2019, 08:08 PM
https://youtu.be/ZrtYbJqenhA

Any excuse to post this, which is and will forever be, my favourite video on the internet.

Ever.

Cat Stanton
25-01-2019, 08:11 PM
With all the doom and gloom on the board at the moment i thought this would cheer us up. Not a fan of American sport but i think every one of us can relate to this. 21/5/16 🏆

Enjoy

108 years? Pah! Nothing.

Ps this poses a couple of important questions:

1) 50 seconds or thereabouts in: there's Lyon Hibs at it again. But what's he doing in America, and why does he look so old?

2) why are so many Americans watching in nuclear bunkers? Do they know something we don't?

Anyway, can't stand baseball or American sport generally - but that was nice. And you just know with the last family that there was something very poignant going on. Really quite emotional.

Ps2 another important lesson (from the portly Dad near the end): if you're going to be filmed jumping about, make sure trousers fit!

Hibbyradge
25-01-2019, 08:15 PM
108 years? Pah! Nothing.

Ps this poses a couple of important questions:

1) 50 seconds or thereabouts in: there's Lyon Hibs at it again. But what's he doing in America, and why does he look so old?

2) why are so many Americans watching in nuclear bunkers? Do they know something we don't?

Anyway, can't stand baseball or American sport generally - but that was nice. And you just know with the last family that there was something very poignant going on. Really quite emotional.

Ps2 another important lesson (from the portly Dad near the end): if you're going to be filmed jumping about, make sure trousers fit!

Nah, the troosers falling down made it real.

Great video. Both Mrs R and I seem to have sat down in a rather dusty room! :boo hoo:

One Day Soon
25-01-2019, 08:31 PM

Any excuse to post this, which is and will forever be, my favourite video on the internet.

Ever.

Oh God, every single time. That is a beautiful thing.

Jack Hackett
25-01-2019, 08:55 PM
Oh God, every single time. That is a beautiful thing.

:agree:

Should be playing in the dressing room before every game

Itsnoteasy
25-01-2019, 09:09 PM
Not a fan of the big American sports but rounders has to be the worst.

hibby rae
26-01-2019, 08:07 AM
Bit disappointed there are no Back to the Future 2 references here.

hibbydoug
28-01-2019, 04:53 PM
Yep - Happy Days! - Have had a soft spot for the Cubbies since seeing them live at Wrigley Field in '94. Despite the colours!

After we won on 21/5, I told my Cubby brother-in-law in Chicago that their name was on it, and I wasn't wrong..
Only 108 years of waiting in their case, but it made a nice total of 222 years of waiting over, in 2016 :wink:

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 05:08 PM
Not a fan of the big American sports but rounders has to be the worst.

There speaks a man who doesn't understand the sport.

Baseball is far more skilled and nuanced than you can possibly perceive from an occasional glance.

The same applies to cricket, any sport, in fact.

You may not like or understand a sport, but sneering at something loved by hundreds of millions of people, and which can engender such powerful emotions, makes you the same as those Americans who dismiss our football as a pointless sport for girls.

Haymaker
28-01-2019, 05:22 PM
Will always have a soft spot for the Cubs, a friend of mine was a die-hard Cubs fan and sadly passed away shortly after the win. At least he got to see them win it and he celebrated in style.

wallpaperman
28-01-2019, 05:32 PM
I don't buy the whole cuddly Cubs stuff.

I am a big baseball fan, and what anyone not familiar with the sport will not realise is that in the years leading up to their World Series success they deliberately put out a poor team for a number of years.

Why? To get the prize of high draft picks, some of the best amateur talent, for a number of years in a row. There's no relegation, and technically nothing in the rules to prevent it.

It's a hot topic in baseball as there are so many teams making no attempt to put together a good roster, it's getting silly.

I hate this legal manipulation of the sport so I did not share the excitement.

Almost all teams are run by a lot of very clever ivy leaguers, it's the most complicated sport in the world, but I find it fascinating.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 05:39 PM

I am a big baseball fan, and what anyone not familiar with the sport will not realise is that in the years leading up to their World Series success they deliberately put out a poor team for a number of years.

Why? To get the prize of high draft picks, some of the best amateur talent, for a number of years in a row. There's no relegation, and technically nothing in the rules to prevent it.

It's a hot topic in baseball as there are so many teams making no attempt to put together a good roster, it's getting silly.

Almost all teams are run by a lot of very clever ivy leaguers, it's the most complicated sport in the world, but I find it fascinating.

From this distance, we see a team that went nearly as long as Hibs did to win their holy grail.

The politics and the reasons for that wait is pretty much irrelevant to us.

Bishop Hibee
28-01-2019, 06:16 PM

Ever.

Brilliant. I think I’d seen all of these clips but never put together like that.

It was the time of the underdog with Leicester City winning the league. I had a friend visiting from Melbourne not long after who is a Western Bulldogs fan and they won the Grand Final for the first time in around 60 years a few months later.

Glory glory!

Itsnoteasy
28-01-2019, 06:21 PM
There speaks a man who doesn't understand the sport.

Baseball is far more skilled and nuanced than you can possibly perceive from an occasional glance.

The same applies to cricket, any sport, in fact.

You may not like or understand a sport, but sneering at something loved by hundreds of millions of people, and which can engender such powerful emotions, makes you the same as those Americans who dismiss our football as a pointless sport for girls.

Any sport involves skill.

That was just my opinion on rounders.
Pitcher throw.
Batter hits.
Run to base

Pitcher throw
Batter hits
Run to base

Occasionally

Pitcher throw
Batter miss
STRIKE

OR

Pitcher throw
Batter hits it oot the field
HOME RUN

erin go bragh
28-01-2019, 07:44 PM
Enjoyed that .

Higgy115
28-01-2019, 10:08 PM
Was in Chicago in July 2016 and was taken to 2 games at Wrigley, absolutely loved it and convinced all the Cubbies that it was their year after we broke our hoodoo.

Hibbyradge
28-01-2019, 10:15 PM
Any sport involves skill.

That was just my opinion on rounders.
Pitcher throw.
Batter hits.
Run to base

Pitcher throw
Batter hits
Run to base

Occasionally

Pitcher throw
Batter miss
STRIKE

OR

Pitcher throw
Batter hits it oot the field
HOME RUN

Girls soccer.

Player kicks ball, player kicks ball, player kicks player, player rolls around in agony for a while.

Player kicks ball, player kicks ball, ball goes into the crowd.

Occasionally the ball goes into a net.

Easy this, innit. :wink:

Smartie
28-01-2019, 11:01 PM

So a bit like the way we stuffed our team with Rowan Vine, Michael Nelson, Ryan McGivern, Owain Tudor-Jones and James Collins for a while, before getting ourselves the likes of Dylan McGeouch and John NcGinn to win the holy grail?

lyonhibs
29-01-2019, 05:45 AM
So a bit like the way we stuffed our team with Rowan Vine, Michael Nelson, Ryan McGivern, Owain Tudor-Jones and James Collins for a while, before getting ourselves the likes of Dylan McGeouch and John NcGinn to win the holy grail?

Except, you'll have noted, we *did* get relegated....

wallpaperman
29-01-2019, 05:54 AM

Nah, not really.

The Cubs were/are one of the wealthiest baseball clubs in the States. The baseball operations side was take over by a talented guy who had broken the Red Sox curse (Theo Epstein), and he systematically built a roster that would not be competitive and would therefore benefit from selecting the best talent as the teams with the worst records get to choose the best players the following year.

Now, it is no sure fire guarantee of success, other teams have tried the strategy and they are still crap, but it worked for the Cubs and it was all completely above board in the baseball rules that exist.

Hibs, on the other hand, were not working on some clever strategy, they just recruited a bunch of incompetent boobs.

JXM73
29-01-2019, 06:35 AM
Indians fan, ****ers ruined my october...our wait goes on 😭😭😭

The Spaceman
29-01-2019, 06:42 AM
When the guy is celebrating with his two kids, drops to his knees, reaches to the air and screams "this is for you Grandpa!". Sensational. Really brings it all back to what we achieved as well on 21st May 2016.

FilipinoHibs
29-01-2019, 07:44 AM

Enjoy

Had a friend from Chicago when worked for US firm. They were the Hibs of baseball, blowing so many world series. Pleased for him and the Cubs.

Greenbeard
29-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Disappointed. From the title of the OP I thought this thread was about the 3rd Leith.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 09:33 AM
When the guy is celebrating with his two kids, drops to his knees, reaches to the air and screams "this is for you Grandpa!". Sensational. Really brings it all back to what we achieved as well on 21st May 2016.

Totally. I choked even reading your post.

Hibbyradge
29-01-2019, 09:34 AM
Disappointed. From the title of the OP I thought this thread was about the 3rd Leith.

126 Haymarket, ya bass! :greengrin