PDA

View Full Version : What's changed at Easter Road?

matty_f
24-01-2019, 01:52 PM
I've seen this mentioned on a couple of very good posts, and Speedway's '10 steps' thread also flags the issue - what's changed at Hibs where we've reverted to the bad old days of little in the way of communication coming out of the club?

I'm not talking about the wee player updates or sales comms that come out, rather the stuff about the state of the club, how we're progressing, where we want to progress to etc?

The cynic in me will say that we'll probably hear something to tie in with season ticket renewals, but really there should be something before then.

We've been on a fairly steady decline after a promising start to the season, there's definitely been a significant shift in the mood fo the fans in my experience, and this is where those at the club need to step up and engage with the support.

Probably goes without saying that the be all and end all is results, and if they're good then nobody really cares about the stuff above, but when it's not good then this is when they should be stepping up to the plate.

We appear to have gone from a very dynamic and driven club to one that's just, well, a bit 'meh' on all things at the moment.

Allant1981
24-01-2019, 02:06 PM
Not sure what you want them to say? Results have been crap recently but they quite rightly aren't going to come out and slate the manager and his coaching team are they

BlackSheep
24-01-2019, 02:09 PM
As far as i am aware there have been a few changes behind closed doors in terms of staff, some that have not been welcomed by existing staff and I think this has had a knock on effect.

People move on from jobs all the time but the key is to replace them with the same or better calibre of employee, im not sure this has been the case at Hibs recently.

Pretty Boy
24-01-2019, 02:12 PM
I've always argued it's easier to lose fans than gain them.

During Stubbs 1st season all the changes at the club were in progress and there was a lot of positive noise. However crowds largely flatlined throughout that season, a few games excepted, and the following season. It really took the Scottish Cup win to send ST sales rocketing and then the promotion season and excellent return season in the top league maintained that level. Hibs can't afford to rest on their laurels, a season of disappointment, mediocrity or whatever you want to call it will see renewals drop sharply. We have seen it before after the Mowbray/Collins era when on field performance faltered so did the crowds.

The radio silence from ER is deafening at the moment. There hasn't been any kind of update or 'progress report' for a long while. I also said recently the loss of the little things like the 'Fontaine of Knowledge' and similar means the fans haven't got to know the current players as well as the guys they have replaced. The squad of the last few years were allowed to showcase their enthusiasm and passion for Hibs in a way the current crop haven't been able to, I think that is working against them.

I'm not sure fans want simple soundbites and cliches but the generic releases, albeit some are clearly contractual obligations, we are currently getting are insufficient given the feel good factor that was built partly on the back of the improved communication we have come to expect in recent years.

Pretty Boy
24-01-2019, 02:15 PM
Not sure what you want them to say? Results have been crap recently but they quite rightly aren't going to come out and slate the manager and his coaching team are they

I don't think that's what is being suggested at all.

Over the last few years there have been numerous direct statements from the Chief Executive, and other, to the fans with a general 'this is where we are' type feel or a thanks for your support message. These have all but dried up since the summer and it's fair game to question why imo.

Diclonius
24-01-2019, 02:17 PM
My completely uninformed opinion is that Dempster wants out and Petrie is taking more of an executive role again.

Stuart93
24-01-2019, 02:20 PM
My completely uninformed opinion is that Dempster wants out and Petrie is taking more of an executive role again.

Can help but feel this way also. Seems like things are going back to pre relegation days, a shame after so much hard work over the past few seasons

Diclonius
24-01-2019, 02:22 PM
Can help but feel this way also. Seems like things are going back to pre relegation days, a shame after so much hard work over the past few seasons

If Dempster does leave and Petrie takes full charge, we'll have to start protesting again before anything is done about it.

.Sean.
24-01-2019, 02:25 PM
I’d agree with this. People are starting to become disheartened and uninterested again it seems, and the club seem to be doing nothing to address this. We won’t hear from them again until season ticket renewal letters start coming through the door. Something isn’t right behind the scenes we can all see that. Whether it’s at boardroom level and spreading down and affecting the playing staff or vice versa remains to be seen.

JimboHibs
24-01-2019, 02:33 PM
I've seen this mentioned on a couple of very good posts, and Speedway's '10 steps' thread also flags the issue - what's changed at Hibs where we've reverted to the bad old days of little in the way of communication coming out of the club?

I'm not talking about the wee player updates or sales comms that come out, rather the stuff about the state of the club, how we're progressing, where we want to progress to etc?

The cynic in me will say that we'll probably hear something to tie in with season ticket renewals, but really there should be something before then.

We've been on a fairly steady decline after a promising start to the season, there's definitely been a significant shift in the mood fo the fans in my experience, and this is where those at the club need to step up and engage with the support.

Probably goes without saying that the be all and end all is results, and if they're good then nobody really cares about the stuff above, but when it's not good then this is when they should be stepping up to the plate.

We appear to have gone from a very dynamic and driven club to one that's just, well, a bit 'meh' on all things at the moment.

In the last 35 years of following Hibs its been more despair than joy,this nonsense about whats gone wrong 😂😂 its Hibs same as Aberdeen,Hearts and few others we are yoyo clubs and will continue to be so,enjoy it when its good as mediocre times are never far away following us.

cabbageandribs1875
24-01-2019, 02:34 PM
If Dempster does leave and Petrie takes full charge, we'll have to start protesting again before anything is done about it.

the protesting will start with next seasons ST sales, at this moment in time i predict a loss of between 1500-2000

.Sean.
24-01-2019, 02:38 PM
the protesting will start with next seasons ST sales, at this moment in time i predict a loss of between 1500-2000
Which leaves a roughly half a million quid hole that’s difficult to plug. Surely the board can see that trying to save a pound in the short term costs us a lot more in the long run.

silverhibee
24-01-2019, 02:43 PM
D

Pointless protesting about Petrie, only a new owner will change things.

Stuart93
24-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Which leaves a roughly half a million quid hole that’s difficult to plug. Surely the board can see that trying to save a pound in the short term costs us a lot more in the long run.

You’d think so 🙄

B.H.F.C
24-01-2019, 02:59 PM
I’m convinced something isn’t right. Be it between the board and Lennon, Lennon and the players or whatever. What it is, I don’t know, but it doesn’t have the feel of the last few years.

As others have mentioned, Dempster has been very, very quiet. It’s getting on for five years she’s been in the job which is quite a long time to be in that role. I do wonder if we could see a change in the not too distant future.

A lot has been said about how big a loss McGinn was on the pitch. But I think he has been missed massively off the pitch as well. The connection he had with the supporters was amazing and that type of thing is lacking verging on non existent now.

I said on another thread that the performance last night showed a lack of enthusiasm. The whole club is lacking that just now.

Scotty Leither
24-01-2019, 03:01 PM
How much do we pay Benchmark PR for their ermmm... "PR"?

Bostonhibby
24-01-2019, 03:07 PM
How much do we pay Benchmark PR for their ermmm... "PR"?Do we actually pay money for "PR"?

Genuine question as I try to have a handle on where our cash goes.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

Scotty Leither
24-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Do we actually pay money for "PR"?

Genuine question as I try to have a handle on where our cash goes.

I don't think Forsyth works for nothing.

I don't see what his company brings to the table, to be honest, and I never have done.

Whatever we're laying out could be better spent on players, methinks.

Speedway
24-01-2019, 03:14 PM

During Stubbs 1st season all the changes at the club were in progress and there was a lot of positive noise. However crowds largely flatlined throughout that season, a few games excepted, and the following season. It really took the Scottish Cup win to send ST sales rocketing and then the promotion season and excellent return season in the top league maintained that level. Hibs can't afford to rest on their laurels, a season of disappointment, mediocrity or whatever you want to call it will see renewals drop sharply. We have seen it before after the Mowbray/Collins era when on field performance faltered so did the crowds.

The radio silence from ER is deafening at the moment. There hasn't been any kind of update or 'progress report' for a long while. I also said recently the loss of the little things like the 'Fontaine of Knowledge' and similar means the fans haven't got to know the current players as well as the guys they have replaced. The squad of the last few years were allowed to showcase their enthusiasm and passion for Hibs in a way the current crop haven't been able to, I think that is working against them.

I'm not sure fans want simple soundbites and cliches but the generic releases, albeit some are clearly contractual obligations, we are currently getting are insufficient given the feel good factor that was built partly on the back of the improved communication we have come to expect in recent years.

Very well articulated, PB.

Do we not have Kenny Millar on the PR team now as well?

Peanut Shaz
24-01-2019, 03:16 PM

Why not? They're quick enough to slate the players.

Bostonhibby
24-01-2019, 03:20 PM
I don't think Forsyth works for nothing.

I don't see what his company brings to the table, to be honest, and I never have done.

Whatever we're laying out could be better spent on players, methinks.Jeez. I'm even more depressed. I guess all this recent PR we're enjoying comes from the football department budget.

HibeeHibernian4
24-01-2019, 03:28 PM

Sadly, one has to call it what it is: fair-weather fandom. We are quite possibly the worst in Scotland for it.

Speedway
24-01-2019, 03:29 PM
Sadly, one has to call it what it is: fair-weather fandom. We are quite possibly the worst in Scotland for it.

We have our share, but not the worst I wouldn't say.

HibeeHibernian4
24-01-2019, 03:33 PM
We have our share, but not the worst I wouldn't say.

I was going to say "one of the worst" and then I went through the other clubs and thought about it.

Kilmarnock's attendances have improved in the last couple of seasons under Clarke but a lot of that is fans who were staying away when Michael Johnston was chairman.

Aberdeen's attendances have definitely been helped by the return of Rangers, and they're probably the second best example I can see.

Hearts' attendances are unnervingly consistent, helped by having their backs to the walls in their worst seasons which brought fans out to save the club.

Dundee United's has dropped off with relegation, but before that they were pulling in an average of 8-9,000 pretty much regardless of where they were finishing in the league.

Speedway
24-01-2019, 03:35 PM
I was going to say "one of the worst" and then I went through the other clubs and thought about it.

Kilmarnock's attendances have improved in the last couple of seasons under Clarke but a lot of that is fans who were staying away when Michael Johnston was chairman.

Aberdeen's attendances have definitely been helped by the return of Rangers, and they're probably the second best example I can see.

Hearts' attendances are unnervingly consistent, helped by having their backs to the walls in their worst seasons which brought fans out to save the club.

Dundee United's has dropped off with relegation, but before that they were pulling in an average of 8-9,000 pretty much regardless of where they were finishing in the league.

And The The Rangers?

HibeeHibernian4
24-01-2019, 03:39 PM
And The The Rangers?

The sort of exceptional circumstances that would see our attendances more than halve too, I'd expect.

Them and Celtic have different barometers of success which makes comparing their 'fair-weather' nature to ours a bit futile, in my honest opinion.

The fact is that a lot of lapsed Hibs fans jumped back on the bandwagon post May 2016, and have been riding the crest of a wave with the rest of us since. I hope more stick around this time when the feel-good factor inevitably disappears to an extent, because every other time it seems that they don't want to know.

matty_f
24-01-2019, 04:11 PM

That's exactly what I was meaning, but you worded it better :greengrin

Hibeesmad
24-01-2019, 04:28 PM
Bring back Tom Zanetti

Zanelli.. 🤓

Brightside
24-01-2019, 04:38 PM
Bring back Tom Zanetti

No chance if you cant get his name right. :greengrin

Hibeesmad
24-01-2019, 04:44 PM
No chance if you cant get his name right. :greengrin

Our recent form is taking its toll on me 🤣

IGRIGI
24-01-2019, 04:59 PM
The team doesn't seem to have willingness to put it all on the line like it did last season, it seems to have slightly went back to the darker days of players being disconnected from the fans and club.

Scotty Leither
24-01-2019, 05:03 PM
Jeez. I'm even more depressed. I guess all this recent PR we're enjoying comes from the football department budget.

But it's arguably the biggest PR budget we've ever had.

MacGruber
24-01-2019, 05:04 PM
The team doesn't seem to have willingness to put it all on the line like it did last season, it seems to have slightly went back to the darker days of players being disconnected from the fans and club.

The players seem disconnected from the manager. That's the worry

matty_f
24-01-2019, 05:04 PM

I think that goes back to the change in the comms that are coming out of the club.

Pretty Boy's point about the stuff like Fontaine of Knowledge etc stopping is a good one. That show had players interacting with fans and brought up the engagement - I think it also helped make the players feel part of the club as well.

When you have a defender with no prior connection to the club writing a song about the team, you have evidence of that relationship working.

It could just be that some staff left the club who were particularly strong in this area that haven't quite been replaced, or their replacements have a different vision for what should be happening.

Whichever it is, it feels like the ball's been dropped a bit and there's definitely room for improvement.

matty_f
24-01-2019, 05:06 PM
How much do we pay Benchmark PR for their ermmm... "PR"?

Is it in the accounts?

I've got them at home but didn't pay enough attention to see if there was any note for that in the accounts. I can check later, it'd be interesting to see.

Carheenlea
24-01-2019, 05:54 PM
The fans have remained pretty loyal to the club despite some disappointing results and performances. The noise and anger that we have read on here and on social media isn’t really reflected as of yet at the games, which certainly wouldn’t have been the case pre-Stubbs.
The good will from the fans towards the club largely still appears to be there, and a few good results can keep that ticking over for now, but we must be getting close to the point where the patience snaps in the stands. Everyone is hugely grateful for The Scottish Cup, but we can’t ride along on the coat tails of that forever.

flash
24-01-2019, 06:12 PM
I tell you one thing I have noticed. Every time an age group Scotland squad comes out I check for Hibs players. There is hardly ever a squad containing anybody from here. Why is this? There must be something badly wrong with the set up in the younger age groups.

hibby6270
24-01-2019, 06:55 PM
In the last 35 years of following Hibs its been more despair than joy,this nonsense about whats gone wrong ���� its Hibs same as Aberdeen,Hearts and few others we are yoyo clubs and will continue to be so,enjoy it when its good as mediocre times are never far away following us.

For me, this statement sums everything up. I can add a further 20 years or so to the 35, so mid 60s to mid 80s as well. If you analyse our “form” in that period also, it includes a golden period of decent European results in the 60s & 70s, the relatively successful Tornadoes era, relegation in 1980, immediate promotion the following season, but then several years of mediocrity finishing mid table in the league with an odd semi final or final appearance in the major cups.

The use of the phrase “yo-yo club” is, I’m afraid, the perfect description of what Hibernian Football Club are and no one can deny that. Consistent success is not in the clubs DNA.

Nobody on this forum supports Hibs because we expect constant league win success or many days like 21/5/16 to occur every season. We support them because they are our local team. You Dad/Mum, Grandad/Granny, Uncle/Auntie supports them. They took you to your first game and preached the good reasons why you should support your local team. It’s a bond that is never broken and despite its ups and downs, makes us all proud to support a club for the sake of the club. It’s an association that no so called fan of the Ugly Sisters will ever understand. Their main reasons for supporting being some deluded and historical religious cr@p that blights the game in Scotland.

Long live the Hibees. Well support you evermore. GGTTH

The Harp Awakes
24-01-2019, 07:22 PM

Although the decline in the feel good factor has gone on a bit longer, I can't help but feel that things started to nosedive after the derby at Tynecastle this season. I still don't think NL has recovered from that night, and the fact that the Club didn't back him publicly when he gave an account of the sectarianism he constantly faces in Scottish football was telling. I think the LD of a few years back would have been right out there with some kind of statement in support of her Manager.

Since the Tynecastle derby the Club has been virtually silent across the board and LD has hardly been visible. It's almost like the Club has gone back into its shell. I also found the lack of response to the fans criticism of the pricing for the Elgin game a bit strange. Even if it was Elgin who dug their heels in, why did Hibs not come out and explain their reasoning - apologies if the Club did respond and I missed it; I may have blinked.

As another poster put it, something doesn't seem right behind the scenes.

scooby
24-01-2019, 07:24 PM
I’m convinced something isn’t right. Be it between the board and Lennon, Lennon and the players or whatever. What it is, I don’t know, but it doesn’t have the feel of the last few years.

As others have mentioned, Dempster has been very, very quiet. It’s getting on for five years she’s been in the job which is quite a long time to be in that role. I do wonder if we could see a change in the not too distant future.

A lot has been said about how big a loss McGinn was on the pitch. But I think he has been missed massively off the pitch as well. The connection he had with the supporters was amazing and that type of thing is lacking verging on non existent now.

I said on another thread that the performance last night showed a lack of enthusiasm. The whole club is lacking that just now.

I think you're absolutely spot on, which is very worrying.

18Craig75
24-01-2019, 07:31 PM
Isn’t this where the ‘Fans Representatives’ come in to all this?

Surely they have some access behind the scenes. What’s the atmosphere like in the club? Are the club aware how disappointed the fans are with the way this season is going? What is being done to arrest our slide?

Some communication wouldn’t go amiss.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HibeeHibernian4
24-01-2019, 08:01 PM
Nobody on this forum supports Hibs because we expect constant league win success or many days like 21/5/16 to occur every season. We support them because they are our local team. You Dad/Mum, Grandad/Granny, Uncle/Auntie supports them. They took you to your first game and preached the good reasons why you should support your local team. It’s a bond that is never broken and despite its ups and downs, makes us all proud to support a club for the sake of the club.

It's a nice sentiment and I completely agree with you from my perspective, but it's nonetheless demonstrably untrue of about two thirds of our fanbase. There's about a 10,000 hardcore and then 20,000 lapsed fans who will turn up if/when there's success. I'd love for that to change, but unless there's sustained success, I can't see it happening.

Scotty Leither
24-01-2019, 08:44 PM
Isn’t this where the ‘Fans Representatives’ come in to all this?

Surely they have some access behind the scenes. What’s the atmosphere like in the club? Are the club aware how disappointed the fans are with the way this season is going? What is being done to arrest our slide?

Some communication wouldn’t go amiss.

The fans reps will quite simply not be allowed to communicate one solitary word of their own volition.

Every utterance will need to be approved and vetted.

BoomtownHibees
24-01-2019, 08:50 PM
I think you're absolutely spot on, which is very worrying.

I agree it’s worrying that BHFC is spot on, it doesn’t happen very often

Ozyhibby
24-01-2019, 09:32 PM
I can handle the club having bad seasons but it’s disappointing when you can see it coming through poor recruitment.
We had money in the summer but refused to spend it. We should have went for Shankland and Kamara. Who knows what we are saving it for?
So far this window all we have are two loanees.
It’s the lack of ambition the club consistently shows that causes fans to drift away.

Hi Heid Yin
24-01-2019, 10:18 PM

This post of yours is malicious and in this Hibbys eyes, unacceptable. :bitchy:

You should have retracted your post as soon as you typed "uninformed"!

matty_f
24-01-2019, 10:38 PM
This post of yours is malicious and in this Hibbys eyes, unacceptable. :bitchy:

You should have retracted your post as soon as you typed "uninformed"!

By saying it's their own uniformed opinion you can hardly say it's malicious - it's exactly what it says - an uninformed opinion.

Glory Lurker
24-01-2019, 10:53 PM
Did we ever get decent communication from “up top”, even after LD came in? We took off on the social media front, but that seemed to be driven by Marathon Bet. I might be doing the club a wholly unintended disservice as i’ve not dug in to check past communications, but the impression for me is that it was the commercial tie-in that made the impact, rather than the club driving a change. That’s faded out, and here we are.

Whatever the case, though, I could really do with LD giving us a rallying speech. How difficult can it be? We’re a captive audience after all!

Scotty Leither
24-01-2019, 11:09 PM
Did we ever get decent communication from “up top”, even after LD came in? We took off on the social media front, but that seemed to be driven by Marathon Bet. I might be doing the club a wholly unintended disservice as i’ve not dug in to check past communications, but the impression for me is that it was the commercial tie-in that made the impact, rather than the club driving a change. That’s faded out, and here we are.

Whatever the case, though, I could really do with LD giving us a rallying speech. How difficult can it be? We’re a captive audience after all!

Great post - but I think she could rally us by simply announcing some permanent, headline - grabbing signings.

Hi Heid Yin
24-01-2019, 11:12 PM
By saying it's their own uniformed opinion you can hardly say it's malicious - it's exactly what it says - an uninformed opinion.

Malicious, all the same.
All I read is negativity aimed at someone who has been an absolute sensation for our club.
Leeann does not deserve this type of post.

calumhibee1
24-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Malicious, all the same.
All I read is negativity aimed at someone who has been an absolute sensation for our club.

Winning the second tier and finishing fourth is a sensation?

Hi Heid Yin
24-01-2019, 11:25 PM

The offending post was referring to Leeann Dempster, not Neil Lennon!

Diclonius
24-01-2019, 11:33 PM
Malicious, all the same.

By prefacing it with "uninformed" I put forward that it was entirely guesswork and not an accusation. Neither was I criticising her performance up until now, merely offering a suggestion as to why we have heard so little from the club of late as opposed to prior to that.

No one is above criticism regardless of their (good) prior performance, but as established above I was just speculating at best.

WestCoastHibby
24-01-2019, 11:38 PM
Some fickle people on here.
When Helen of Troy arrived it was "Leanne this and Leanne that"
Now normal service has been resumed it's "Dempster"
As someone else mentions. It's Hibs, they always do this

#2 Double Tap
24-01-2019, 11:42 PM

na it was not, but winning the cup was just a little bit special, haha

calumhibee1
24-01-2019, 11:42 PM
The offending post was referring to Leeann Dempster, not Neil Lennon!

Apologies, so it was :aok:

Hi Heid Yin
25-01-2019, 12:29 AM
Apologies, so it was :aok:

:aok:

Smartie
25-01-2019, 12:39 AM

We need to win a few games more than anything else.

A strong performance and good result on Sunday would be worth a million rallying calls.

I'd rather she worked away on getting players in and playing her part in improving our team's performances than pandering to those of us who are unhappy.

jacomo
25-01-2019, 10:11 AM
My feeling is that the club’s preparations for this season were less than ideal. I include everyone in that: the manager, the football dept, the board and the chief executive.

The objective should have been to consolidate and build a solid platform for future success - and this should have informed everything, from player recruitment to detail changes to ticket pricing.

Add in some disruption and lots of injuries and we are struggling a bit.

It can be turned around but we need hard work and everyone to pull together.

norhfc
25-01-2019, 10:30 AM
Agree with the pre season being far from ideal, I also wonder if our run in the Europa League was a major distraction for our club who lets face it arent used to getting a week or two to prepare for home and away Euro games. We had 6 games to organise in such short notice, just a thought.

The 90+2
25-01-2019, 10:34 AM
Agree with the pre season being far from ideal, I also wonder if our run in the Europa League was a major distraction for our club who lets face it arent used to getting a week or two to prepare for home and away Euro games. We had 6 games to organise in such short notice, just a thought.

Isn’t that the same for the league cup format? We where under prepared for Europe.

SirDavidsNapper
25-01-2019, 04:37 PM

Hasn't affected Aberdeen. Either has losing their two best players in the summer. I think some of us are clutching at straws now. We're just not very good.

Billy Whizz
25-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Hasn't affected Aberdeen. Either has losing their two best players in the summer. I think some of us are clutching at straws now. We're just not very good.

Aberdeen played one away game in Europe, at Burnley