PDA

View Full Version : Lennon's got a lot to answer for...

green with envy
24-01-2019, 07:43 AM
It's very unlike me to have a go at Lennon or the players for that matter... First of all why did he change a winning team from Saturday.

With Ryan Porteous having to go off so soon into the game for which looked like the same injury that kept him out before the year was a huge mistake.

Hanlon at left back was another as he was pretty much useless - slight improvement when he went back to the middle.

Playing Gauld on the right first half, I couldn't get my head round, was much better in the second when he was moved closer to Kamberi.

There was absolutely no need to start Omeonga, the lad should be eased in rather than thrown in as he didn't seem to know his role - hooked at HT for the much better Slivka.

Although I can't blame Lennon for this but Horgan's one on one effort with the goalie was an absolute embarrassment as was his effort when he tried to go round the defender and slipped. FWIW, that was never a foul.

I'm getting pretty pissed with Lennon's tactics most weeks as he doesn't know his best formation, far to much chopping & changing not only on a weekly basis but also during games as he did with Gauld last night as said playing on the right, moved inside 2nd half and finished the game back on the right.

To summarise, last night was a horrible performance from a mediocre team that i'm afraid will be bottom six come April.

WhileTheChief..
24-01-2019, 07:54 AM
Did you post up what team and tactics he should have used before kick off?

Make sure you let him know how to set up on Saturday eh.

green with envy
24-01-2019, 07:55 AM

Haha, you mean Sunday eh?

Green&White
24-01-2019, 07:56 AM
It's very unlike me to have a go at Lennon or the players for that matter... First of all why did he change a winning team from Saturday.

With Ryan Porteous having to go off so soon into the game for which looked like the same injury that kept him out before the year was a huge mistake.

Hanlon at left back was another as he was pretty much useless - slight improvement when he went back to the middle.

Playing Gauld on the right first half, I couldn't get my head round, was much better in the second when he was moved closer to Kamberi.

There was absolutely no need to start Omeonga, the lad should be eased in rather than thrown in as he didn't seem to know his role - hooked at HT for the much better Slivka.

Although I can't blame Lennon for this but Horgan's one on one effort with the goalie was an absolute embarrassment as was his effort when he tried to go round the defender and slipped. FWIW, that was never a foul.

I'm getting pretty pissed with Lennon's tactics most weeks as he doesn't know his best formation, far to much chopping & changing not only on a weekly basis but also during games as he did with Gauld last night as said playing on the right, moved inside 2nd half and finished the game back on the right.

To summarise, last night was a horrible performance from a mediocre team that i'm afraid will be bottom six come April.Can't argue with any of that at all. I'd like to as I really like Lennon but as you say he doesn't seem to know his team or formation. Each week most folks are left scratching Thier heads when the team sheet is released for a game and it looks like the players are too, judging by Thier performances.
There's alot to be said for what teams like the PL winning Leicester team did with consistency in team selection and formation. Granted alot of things can prevent that but Lennon takes it to another level and is just confusing everyone except the opposition.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

The 90+2
24-01-2019, 07:58 AM

Green with envy is Stevie Clarke or saying that a majority of managers in the league we are in?

A well written post deserves more respect than “let’s see if you can do better”

Maybe start with I don’t know, 2 up top, a left back who actually plays the position (not 15 years ago) and our club captain and all round superhero when we need one at right back who frankly can’t be any worse even injured that the one on show last night.

sean04
24-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Do agree with some of the post. Whittaker over gray? Hanlon at left back? Gauld to deep, kamberi isolated(played brilliant last year with a strike partner and Allan to link with) no working him up top himself, countless times this season it hasn't worked. Motherwell are poor, conceding goals regular and we don't attack them? Brian graham scored 2 against them on sat!!!! Serious lack of attempts on goal. All very negative and poor.

green with envy
24-01-2019, 08:03 AM
Green with envy is Stevie Clarke or saying that a majority of managers in the league we are in?

Maybe start with I don’t know, 2 up top, a left back who actually plays the position (not 15 years ago) and our club captain and all round superhero when we need one at right back who frankly can’t be any worse even injured that the one on show last night.

We had two recognised LB's on the bench and yet he felt the need to play a CH in that position last night.

Northernhibee
24-01-2019, 08:05 AM

Is it Greenwithenvy or Lennon who is handsomely paid to select the team?

The 90+2
24-01-2019, 08:08 AM
We had two recognised LB's on the bench and yet he felt the need to play a CH in that position last night.

I thought at the time it was a message to the board to back him for another one but sacrificing the team and the result to give the board a message would be farcical especially being so many points off the position we finished last season.

green day
24-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Lennon's tactics have been awful. No point getting decent players and putting them in wrong positions.

Last night was awful. Just awful.

Keith_M
24-01-2019, 08:11 AM

Did you read the comments on the match thread criticizing the team selection before the game, for the exact same reasons the OP just mentioned?

Loads of people said the selections were crazy.

Centre Hawf
24-01-2019, 08:33 AM

Posts like this were cringey in early December when some dared criticise Lennon. Posts like this now are just head in the sand stuff.

calumhibee1
24-01-2019, 08:35 AM
Posts like this were cringey in early December when some dared criticise Lennon. Posts like this now are just head in the sand stuff.

:agree:

It’s a crap arguement. If you’re not an expert on a subject then you can’t have an opinion on it is basically the crux of it.

SideBurns
24-01-2019, 08:42 AM
I'd like to hear someone explain why you would have two left-backs on the bench while playing a centre-half (albeit one who was a left-back himself several years ago) in that position.

Or, why you'd ever have two left-backs on the bench under any circumstances??

The baffling team selections and tactics from Lennon are starting to build a compelling case against him.

The 90+2
24-01-2019, 08:44 AM
I'd like to hear someone explain why you would have two left-backs on the bench while playing a centre-half (albeit one who was a left-back himself several years ago) in that position.

Or, why you'd ever have two left-backs on the bench under any circumstances??

The baffling team selections and tactics from Lennon are starting to build a compelling case against him.

Wants a new left back? New Maldini becomes available next Thursday?

Centre Hawf
24-01-2019, 10:14 AM
Wants a new left back? New Maldini becomes available next Thursday?

He’s just signed a guy 5 month ago who at one point was a dutch internationalist. But he’s refusing to play him. If he’s not good enough then get rid. If it’s anything else then get over it and play him.

Captain Trips
24-01-2019, 12:13 PM

So have you never ever once thought:

I wouldnt have picked him
I would have played a different formation
I would have subbed him earlier
I wouldnt have subbed him
I wouldnt have signed him

staunchhibby
24-01-2019, 02:41 PM
Any update on Porteour knee problem

green with envy
24-01-2019, 02:57 PM

According to Neil Lennon, it's seemingly worse than the last time and could be out for sometime.

Gettin' Auld
24-01-2019, 03:12 PM

That's another strange decision.......

The laddie should have been taken straight off at the original injury, not left to play on so that his knee, in his own words, keeps 'popping out' until they had no option except to take him off. Than last night, his knee goes again.

There's clearly an issue that needs dealt with immediately, before we risk a much worse situation possibly arising. That may be extensive knee strengthening exercises or even surgery, but get it done NOW.

He potentially has a great career ahead of him at a high level..........

Before some ****wit asks about my medical qualifications ~ You don't need any to understand that his injury situation needs dealt with.

Aim Here
24-01-2019, 04:00 PM

Maybe Lenny's ensuring he doesn't make the same mistake as Alex Mcleish, who decided that the way to use two world-class left-backs was to play them both out of position while playing a 3-5-2 formation.

There's got to be a happy medium between these two extremes. Can't think what, though...

JimBHibees
24-01-2019, 04:02 PM
According to Neil Lennon, it's seemingly worse than the last time and could be out for sometime.

Seemed incredible to bring him in last night.

JimBHibees
24-01-2019, 04:03 PM
He’s just signed a guy 5 month ago who at one point was a dutch internationalist. But he’s refusing to play him. If he’s not good enough then get rid. If it’s anything else then get over it and play him.

Assuming both Lewis and Mackie have been showing better the small bits I have seen of Nelom wouldnt be playing him in front of them either.

Here’s Lucy!
24-01-2019, 05:10 PM
Is it Greenwithenvy or Lennon who is handsomely paid to select the team?Based on the 'tactics' employed last night, I think it would be preferable for 'green with envy' to be given the job for a week or two, tbh.

Here’s Lucy!
24-01-2019, 05:12 PM

:confused: FFS.

Heisenberg
24-01-2019, 05:17 PM

Got to mean signing a centre half becomes one of our top priorities in the next week.

Here’s Lucy!
24-01-2019, 05:19 PM
Got to mean signing a centre half becomes one of our top priorities in the next week.

Agreed, and the sooner the better.

Captain Trips
24-01-2019, 05:25 PM

It’s a crap arguement. If you’re not an expert on a subject then you can’t have an opinion on it is basically the crux of it.

Indeed

I would say that watching football every week does make you very knowledgeable. I may not be a manager but I believe I could pick a team with formation and tactics I just would get zero respect from the players as not played the game.

Here’s Lucy!
24-01-2019, 05:37 PM

Correct :aok:

I've got opinions on many things and am probably not an 'expert' on a single one of them. I still feel entitled to add my 'tuppence worth' though. :agree:

jacomo
24-01-2019, 05:39 PM

Needlessly combative response, adds nothing to the conversation.

southsider
24-01-2019, 05:43 PM
Agreed, and the sooner the better.
Craig Halkett

Sir David Gray
24-01-2019, 05:43 PM

Poor response to a post that has been well thought out and is articulated very well.

I actually think the OP made a lot of valid points.

Centre Hawf
24-01-2019, 05:48 PM
Assuming both Lewis and Mackie have been showing better the small bits I have seen of Nelom wouldnt be playing him in front of them either.

I’ve actually only seen him at Killie away. He didn’t seem that bad. Just seems pointless. Again.

pacoluna
24-01-2019, 05:51 PM

Needs a spell off from the dancing at dalkeith minors club every Saturday without fail.

Here’s Lucy!
24-01-2019, 05:53 PM
Craig Halkett

Are we definitely getting him?

SirDavidsNapper
24-01-2019, 05:53 PM
I think we're at the stage now that if Lennon left and we brought in someone who knew what they were doing we'd see an immediate improvement. Week after week after week his selection has been questionable. The players have proved in the past they're far from bad. He isn't getting the best out the players and the buck stops with the manager.

green with envy
24-01-2019, 05:57 PM

Was thinking exactly the same.

Captain Trips
24-01-2019, 06:02 PM
Correct :aok:

I've got opinions on many things and am probably not an 'expert' on a single one of them. I still feel entitled to add my 'tuppence worth' though. :agree:

Indeed

A restaurant critic isn't a chef they just have eaten in many places so have become experienced in knowing good/bad.

WeeRussell
24-01-2019, 07:11 PM
Indeed

I would say that watching football every week does make you very knowledgeable. I may not be a manager but I believe I could pick a team with formation and tactics I just would get zero respect from the players as not played the game.

Disagree with your first sentence as I know too many examples of the contrary. In fact you only have to sit in the same area of Easter road for a few weeks to learn that!

However your (and others’) point is spot-on regarding the first response to the OP.

Captain Trips
24-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Disagree with your first sentence as I know too many examples of the contrary. In fact you only have to sit in the same area of Easter road for a few weeks to learn that!

However your (and others’) point is spot-on regarding the first response to the OP.

Only contrary in your opinion. Look at a panel of football "experts" all saying different stuff. They cant all be right.

For me I have seen enough football to happily argue the toss with anyone involved in the game as a professional. I value the opinion of any fan who goes along II agree with some and not others just like people paid to do same.

Joe6-2
25-01-2019, 09:31 AM
Lenny Coming up live on SSN

oldbutdim
25-01-2019, 09:50 AM
Lenny Coming up live on SSN

Could you post up anything interesting he says please?

Joe6-2
25-01-2019, 09:57 AM
Could you post up anything interesting he says please?

If it ever comes on, Sky are a nightmare.
They say he's coming up, then it's never been mentioned again, Stevie Clark's been on

The 90+2
25-01-2019, 10:13 AM
They say he's coming up, then it's never been mentioned again, Stevie Clark's been on

It will be - we’re on Sky Sunday

Captain Trips
25-01-2019, 10:49 AM
I believe we will do a lot better "hopefully" but if we finish 6th or lower I would have to say NL should go. We are not in a massive rebuild we are in the position to be doing things in the division and in a position we have been waiting years for. We have an infrastructure in place a highly paid and experienced manager and a budget of a very decent level. They should be 100% delivering.

There is no excuse to be where we are just now.

calumhibee1
25-01-2019, 10:56 AM

I saw your post and decided not to bother for that exact reason. Could be hours until he’s actually on.

LaMotta
25-01-2019, 11:01 AM

Some very valid points in the OP about the selection on Wednesday.

I've seen several other posts from different people over the last few months however bashing Lennon after a game for playing formations that we clearly werent playing. Its hard to argue that those people's views should be taken seriously.

Captain Trips
25-01-2019, 11:06 AM
If we are not qualified to disagree with Lennon then surely we are not qualified to agree with him either.

oldbutdim
25-01-2019, 12:31 PM
If we are not qualified to disagree with Lennon then surely we are not qualified to agree with him either.

I suppose we can agree to disagree then.

WeeRussell
25-01-2019, 12:38 PM
Only contrary in your opinion. Look at a panel of football "experts" all saying different stuff. They cant all be right.

For me I have seen enough football to happily argue the toss with anyone involved in the game as a professional. I value the opinion of any fan who goes along II agree with some and not others just like people paid to do same.

My only point was there are plenty of people who watch football every week who remain clueless on the game. Are you seriously disagreeing with that?

Captain Trips
25-01-2019, 01:06 PM
My only point was there are plenty of people who watch football every week who remain clueless on the game. Are you seriously disagreeing with that?

I do not know to be honest who am I to decide on that? I am confident in myself to know enough to comment on formations etc etc. I am sure though there will be a few and a few that know a lot as well.

The 90+2
25-01-2019, 01:10 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11617188/hibernian-head-coach-neil-lennon-seeks-attacking-additions

Lago
25-01-2019, 01:50 PM
https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/11617188/hibernian-head-coach-neil-lennon-seeks-attacking-additions
Repeating the same old same old. Less than a week to go & getting attacking players in a priority, really?

flash
25-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Good interview, nice and positive. Hinted the possibility of a new face by Sunday too.

Speedway
25-01-2019, 02:25 PM

I agree we need some ...king additions.

Here’s Lucy!
25-01-2019, 04:52 PM

I'm not going to hold my breath in regard to new signings this window. :rolleyes: