PDA

View Full Version : Islam Feruz

Tom Hart RIP
23-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Now on trial at amateur team in Belgium 3rd division.

Peevemor
23-01-2019, 09:16 AM

He makes me think of Frank Abagnale, the guy who travelled the world pretending to be an airline pilot ("Catch me if you can")...

.Sean.
23-01-2019, 09:17 AM
Another one in the long line of those more in love with the thought of telling folk he’s a footballer, than actually knuckling down and playing football.

calumhibee1
23-01-2019, 09:18 AM

Is he still contracted to Chelsea? He could be the first ever amateur footballer to be earning about £10k a week..

Diclonius
23-01-2019, 09:22 AM
They day comes ever closer where he'll be back in Scotland playing for Albion Rovers or similar.

One Day
23-01-2019, 09:30 AM
total waste of space

Tobias Funke
23-01-2019, 09:31 AM
total waste of space

Hard pushed to think of a bigger waster in football. Absolute donut of a boy.

blackpoolhibs
23-01-2019, 09:33 AM
I'm more worried if he has a driving licence yet, rather than who is paying his wages these days.:greengrin

Edinburgh Green
23-01-2019, 09:38 AM
They day comes ever closer where he'll be back in Scotland playing for Albion Rovers or similar.

Na he strikes me as the type of guy that would rather chuck it than join a small club.

Baader
23-01-2019, 09:54 AM
What exactly has he done in football? Doesn't even get games anywhere.

Steven79
23-01-2019, 09:56 AM

He's never scored a goal at senior level by the looks of it.

Austinho
23-01-2019, 10:16 AM
Another one in the long line of those more in love with the thought of telling folk he’s a footballer, than actually knuckling down and playing football.When I was at school I was a competitive runner. I won every school competition, regional championship and placed in the top 10 in Scotland. In the space of one summer, I went from being one of the best to being closer to the bottom of the pile after moving up an age group. Suddenly the competition was far stronger, fitter, taller, better. Hard work would have only got me so far, and my confidence took a massive knock. Getting up to train suddenly became a monumental task, going from the elation of winning all the time to the feeling of losing killed a lot of my drive and eventually I quit. Sometimes I wonder if that’s exactly what teenage footballing sensations go through, rather than some perceived attitude problem.

BullsCloseHibs
23-01-2019, 10:20 AM
Oh dear!

Onceinawhile
23-01-2019, 10:29 AM
When I was at school I was a competitive runner. I won every school competition, regional championship and placed in the top 10 in Scotland. In the space of one summer, I went from being one of the best to being closer to the bottom of the pile after moving up an age group. Suddenly the competition was far stronger, fitter, taller, better. Hard work would have only got me so far, and my confidence took a massive knock. Getting up to train suddenly became a monumental task, going from the elation of winning all the time to the feeling of losing killed a lot of my drive and eventually I quit. Sometimes I wonder if that’s exactly what teenage footballing sensations go through, rather than some perceived attitude problem.

It's probably pretty close. For these players who end up at most clubs, they're likely to have been, the best in their street, the best at their school, the best at their high school and the best in their boys club. Then all of a sudden, as a teenager or a young man they get chucked into a position where they aren't fawned over or pandered to as they're just one of a bunch of talented players. It must be some shock to the system and a lot of people wont be mentally prepared for it, which is where having that strong drive, commitment and a good support system can really make the difference.

Centre Hawf
23-01-2019, 10:40 AM
Is he still contracted to Chelsea? He could be the first ever amateur footballer to be earning about £10k a week..

The worst part about Feruz is his wage was far bigger than 10k. I thought i knew, or had a rough idea, of football finances until someone told me what his ball park Chelsea wage was at the time he was with us.

green with envy
23-01-2019, 10:46 AM
He makes me think of Frank Abagnale, the guy who travelled the world pretending to be an airline pilot ("Catch me if you can")...

Very similar apart from that he's pretended to be a footballer.

KWJ
23-01-2019, 11:15 AM
See Freddy Adu too.

The media do have to take a part of the blame for putting so much pressure on a kids shoulders so young. I would guess Celtic have done some part in stopping constant media attention on the young Dembele kid.

I'm pretty sure I heard John McGinn say that Feruz turned up for training with his expensive car covered in bright felt.

J-C
23-01-2019, 11:32 AM
See Freddy Adu too.

The media do have to take a part of the blame for putting so much pressure on a kids shoulders so young. I would guess Celtic have done some part in stopping constant media attention on the young Dembele kid.

I'm pretty sure I heard John McGinn say that Feruz turned up for training with his expensive car covered in bright felt.

And no driving license either

CMurdoch
23-01-2019, 11:48 AM
When I was at school I was a competitive runner. I won every school competition, regional championship and placed in the top 10 in Scotland. In the space of one summer, I went from being one of the best to being closer to the bottom of the pile after moving up an age group. Suddenly the competition was far stronger, fitter, taller, better. Hard work would have only got me so far, and my confidence took a massive knock. Getting up to train suddenly became a monumental task, going from the elation of winning all the time to the feeling of losing killed a lot of my drive and eventually I quit. Sometimes I wonder if that’s exactly what teenage footballing sensations go through, rather than some perceived attitude problem.

Good post. I remember playing football against a colleague who made a couple of appearances for Dundee Utd before being released. He was dynamite against us guys, many of whom were decent players. I spoke to him about his experiences and it was similar to what you describe. He just couldn't bridge the gap between development player and the first team. Although we think guys we watch are haddies they have seen hundreds of talented wannabee players off to play professionally.
Feruz is however just a childish idiot who is going through the motions. It will be interesting to see what happens with him when his contract ends in the summer. Sadly i believe his agent will take advantage of a team abroad who will not look deeper than he has been at Chelsea for x years so he must be a good player.

joe_hfc
23-01-2019, 11:59 AM

Absolutely agree :agree: I know many players who simply lacked the discipline and maturity as teenagers to cope with the bumps and lessons which come with playing with players at a similar level to them. I don't think it's anything to be ashamed of. Most people lack the necessary high levels of discipline and maturity, especially when we're teenagers and still trying to figure themselves and the world around them out. It's all relative.

Danderhall Hibs
23-01-2019, 12:02 PM

Agreed - it’s not easy dropping down the levels and keeping the motivation up.

I heard a guy on a podcasts talk about the lower leagues and how if you’re playing there it’s for the love of the game not the adjusting or money (cos there’s hardly any).

SirDavidsNapper
23-01-2019, 12:05 PM
This lad was overhyped as a youngster. Maybe it went to his head a bit and he believed it. Looks like he hasn't had the support network around him.

calumhibee1
23-01-2019, 12:07 PM
Although we think guys we watch are haddies they have seen hundreds of talented wannabee players off to play professionally.

This is absolutely true. Even guys that play Lowland League etc are absolutely streets ahead of 99% of the population who have played football. I played to a fairly good level myself in terms of youth football but when I play against guys who play Lowland League etc at 5s they’re still exceptionally good players who like someone said elsewhere will probably have been the best or at least one of the best in their year at school/class/boys club etc. One of my mates from school is currently playing in League One in Scotland and he was absolutely frightening.

The 90+2
23-01-2019, 12:09 PM

He’s made an awful lot of money that’s obviously his motivation considering the poverty he and his family was brought up in.

oldbutdim
23-01-2019, 12:22 PM
And no driving license either

Not the only Hibs player to be driving without a licence.

HoboHarry
23-01-2019, 12:30 PM
He’s made an awful lot of money that’s obviously his motivation considering the poverty he and his family was brought up in.
Not sure what is wrong with that? What % of professional footballers aren't motivated by money?

Allant1981
23-01-2019, 12:41 PM
Not sure what is wrong with that? What % of professional footballers aren't motivated by money?

What % of people who work in any job aren't motivated by the money, I certainly don't come to work everyday solely because I like my job

The 90+2
23-01-2019, 12:44 PM

I didn’t say there was much wrong. He’s used initial talent to make himself a millionaire. Fair play to the guy.

I replied to “what’s he done in football” got himself and his family very well off regardless of what he does now.

70hibby
23-01-2019, 12:52 PM
I remember his attitude at the calendar signing was abysmal, had a sign on his desk which he wrote "Bothered" on it - needless to say we skipped speaking with him.

J-C
23-01-2019, 01:12 PM
What % of people who work in any job aren't motivated by the money, I certainly don't come to work everyday solely because I like my job

When you're a young footballer surely the being the best there is will be motivation enough and with that money will come, the problem these young guys have is they get ridiculous amounts of money far too early and they think they've made it. As a perfect example just look at young Porteous, simple wages as a Hibs youngster, works his socks off training and in the gym and is fast becoming a 1st team regular and Scottish U21 internationalist.

hibsfan7
23-01-2019, 01:13 PM
He had his chance

CMurdoch
23-01-2019, 01:44 PM
See Freddy Adu too.

Expensive car covered in felt :greengrin. That is what happens if you give most young guys loads of money.
He should have been given a bog standard Vauxhall Corsa, a house to live in WITH his family and a sensible personal allowance.
The remaining cash would be invested for him.
There is no way back for this kid.

Fergos
23-01-2019, 01:50 PM
Expensive car covered in felt :greengrin. That is what happens if you give most young guys loads of money.
He should have been given a bog standard Vauxhall Corsa, a house to live in WITH his family and a sensible personal allowance.

Agree with the senitment pal but saldy there is no way back to that way of thinking for your average modern footballer with more £ than sense.

Whatever happened to them staying in digs......🤣

GGTTH

Centre Hawf
23-01-2019, 01:55 PM

I think there's something in a system whereby theres a maximum wage allowed to be given to a youngster until they've made x amount of appearances for the club. Perhaps say a Chelsea youth gets 1000 quid a week (modest by the standards some get now) and the rest of the 5/6/7k they would normally get is put into a pot whereby their 10th appearance say releases that amount to them. Keeps them motivated to work hard and impress.

Also makes them reevaluate the clubs they go to when they all come circling like vultures. If a young lad is showing signs of being a potential star at 18 for some Belgian side and has say Chelsea, City, and then a Newcastle all wanting to sign him. He might take the Newcastle option over the other two because while he may long term earn less money on the contract he has more chance of getting that bonus because he could force himself into the team.

The 90+2
23-01-2019, 01:59 PM
When you're a young footballer surely the being the best there is will be motivation enough and with that money will come, the problem these young guys have is they get ridiculous amounts of money far too early and they think they've made it. As a perfect example just look at young Porteous, simple wages as a Hibs youngster, works his socks off training and in the gym and is fast becoming a 1st team regular and Scottish U21 internationalist.

Porteous May have had a different attitude should have been on about £5k pw since about 16 plus any signing on fees also.

.Sean.
23-01-2019, 02:20 PM
I remember his attitude at the calendar signing was abysmal, had a sign on his desk which he wrote "Bothered" on it - needless to say we skipped speaking with him.
What a fanny

jacomo
23-01-2019, 02:39 PM

I still worry that, across Britain, young players who are a stand out at 14, 15, 16 are lavished with praise, while those who are slower to develop physically get ignored.

SRHibs
23-01-2019, 02:40 PM
Another one in the long line of those more in love with the thought of telling folk he’s a footballer, than actually knuckling down and playing football.

What's David Grof up to these days?

HoboHarry
23-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Back playing in his native country for Budapest Honved. Must be doing ok, played 76 games since 2016....

HoboHarry
23-01-2019, 02:50 PM
Huh, league winner apparently. has some nice things to say about Hibs too....

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/david-grof-my-hibs-chance-came-too-soon-but-now-i-m-a-champion-1-4462378

hibIBZ
23-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Chelsea have hundreds of players throughout their youth system from all over Europe and not many make it to the EPL with some making it at lower levels and many chucking it in. I don't know much about him but he is just another statistic of a player who looked like he might have something as a kid that didn't work out, for whatever reason that is.

sauzee6_2
23-01-2019, 04:51 PM

Have a look into fixed and growth mindset. Classic problem with most sports in Scotland.

CRAZYHIBBY
23-01-2019, 06:04 PM
Utter waste of talent..but i somehow dont think he gives a ****

23-01-2019, 11:20 PM
A player I think had some potential and perhaps if he had knuckled down and worked hard he could have played at a half decent level but he kind of struck me as the type of guy who more enjoys the lifestyle of a footballer rather than the actual football part. Perhaps being on the books at Chelsea gave him this idea that he was a bit of a big shot and perhaps too good to be coming up to Scotland.

I don't know the lad personally so I may be doing him a great disservice here but that's just the impression I got from him.

The 90+2
23-01-2019, 11:36 PM
A player I think had some potential and perhaps if he had knuckled down and worked hard he could have played at a half decent level but he kind of struck me as the type of guy who more enjoys the lifestyle of a footballer rather than the actual football part. Perhaps being on the books at Chelsea gave him this idea that he was a bit of a big shot and perhaps too good to be coming up to Scotland.

I don't know the lad personally so I may be doing him a great disservice here but that's just the impression I got from him.

He and his family came from a life of poverty and trouble. If they now have money to live healthy and trouble free for the rest of their life bash on. He will be a hero for family and sometimes in fact all the time should matter most.

Nakedmanoncrack
23-01-2019, 11:44 PM
Maybe he just wasn't good enough?
Lots of players show ability at youth level, sign for big clubs etc and never make it as professional players at all, for some reason this guy always seems to be under more scrutiny than most.