PDA

View Full Version : Ronaldo fined £16.5m for tax evasion

Hibbyradge
22-01-2019, 11:50 AM
And given a 23 month jail sentence which he won't have to serve.

This is the guy who earns £100m per year and has a £1bn lifetime contract with Nike.

Why fiddle your tax? Or why allow your accountants to do so?

It's disgusting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-46957605

calumhibee1
22-01-2019, 11:58 AM

This is the guy who earns £100m per year and has a £1bn lifetime contract with Nike.

It's disgusting.

Always thought the same. When you have so much money why bother going to the hassle of trying to fiddle it? Just pay it, do it all by the book and then you won’t have to worry about it.

green with envy
22-01-2019, 11:59 AM

It's disgusting.

All the top players that ply their trade in Spain seem to end up in court and end up paying a fine after fiddling their tax Messi included.

I'm convinced they must be advised by their agents etc not to pay tax. Until they do away with a suspended sentence and start jailing them, it will probably continue.

All that aside, they're all a bunch of greedy c***s.

cabbageandribs1875
22-01-2019, 12:00 PM
plain and simple Greed, big smiles when arriving at court, how funny would it have been if the judge changed his mind and jailed the smug sleekit **** instead, him and Messi in the same jail football eleven

Greencore
22-01-2019, 12:01 PM
One rule for the rich another for others.

DarlingtonHibee
22-01-2019, 12:03 PM
One rule for the rich another for others.

Look no further than the driving laws for certain people 😡

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2019, 12:15 PM
Devil's Advocate question.

Given that, as pointed out, many high-profile players seem to get in this position almost by default.... is society better-off by jailing them, or by taking the (in this case) £16.5m.?

:cb

malcolm
22-01-2019, 12:17 PM

Given that, as pointed out, many high-profile players seem to get in this position almost by default.... is society better-off by jailing them, or by taking the (in this case) £16.5m.?

Take even more money and jail the tax advisers!

Oscar T Grouch
22-01-2019, 12:21 PM

Jail them and take twice what they should have paid in tax in the first place. Is a €16m fine sufficient to cover the tax evaded? I doubt it.

CropleyWasGod
22-01-2019, 12:22 PM
Jail them and take twice what they should have paid in tax in the first place. Is a €16m fine sufficient to cover the tax evaded? I doubt it.

They pay that on top of the tax.

green with envy
22-01-2019, 12:23 PM
Take even more money and jail the tax advisers!

Indeed.

silverhibee
22-01-2019, 12:26 PM

Surely you can do both.

matty_f
22-01-2019, 12:32 PM
Surely you can do both.

That's what I'd do. :agree:

How wealthy do they need to be? Just pay what you're due and get on with it.

southsider
22-01-2019, 12:41 PM
That's what I'd do. :agree:

How wealthy do they need to be? Just pay what you're due and get on with it.

Coz only the little people pay tax. The multi-nationals, the toffs and the rich pay the square root of zilch compared to what they earn. Same with that poor lady Dukey crashed into. Cops were round telling her to say nothing. One law for us...,,,,

overdrive
22-01-2019, 12:54 PM
The trouble is this sort of punishment probably isn't seen as a punishment by these guys earning vast sums of money. It is probably seen as worth the risk of doing the deed in the first place. A prison sentence would be more of a deterrent from doing this.

Callum_62
22-01-2019, 01:24 PM
Whether my agent advised me or not - surely morally you'd just be saying - do it by the book

Keith_M
22-01-2019, 02:00 PM

Easy, start jailing the tax evaders, which will send a message out to other rich, greedy ********s thinking of doing the same.

Then if the rich actually start paying their taxes, the tax burden might not be so great on those among the lower pay brackets that are struggling to make ends meet.

Personally, I blame the accountants and would have them all shot.

Future17
22-01-2019, 02:39 PM
Whether my agent advised me or not - surely morally you'd just be saying - do it by the book

I'd wager these guys are being told it is being done by the book.

DH1875
22-01-2019, 05:07 PM
How much was Messi fined?

Here’s Lucy!
22-01-2019, 05:09 PM
I would have given him 25 months. :cb

cabbageandribs1875
22-01-2019, 05:26 PM
time will tell, the tax avoider might still get jail time for other reasons

Mick O'Rourke
22-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Greed begets greed, i think is the apt term here.
For someone who came from the impoverished childhood he did too/
He is not alone ,of course, in his avarice .
Am sure his financial advisor could have come up with something that may have benefited the place of his birth.,rather than cheating the tax man.

Whats the saying.....
the more ye get, the more......

Here’s Lucy!
22-01-2019, 05:32 PM
Greed begets greed, i think is the apt term here.
For someone who came from the impoverished childhood he did too/
He is not alone ,of course, in his avarice .
Am sure his financial advisor could have come up with something that may have benefited the place of his birth.,rather than cheating the tax man.

Whats the saying.....
the more ye get, the more......
:top marks That's a great post.

Mick O'Rourke
22-01-2019, 05:39 PM
:top marks That's a great post.
Cheers Mack

What makes it more galling.
He knew this was coming and his move from Spain to Italy has more than covered what he was fined .

No real punishment at all, is it?
His demeanor when leaving court hardly showed a man concerned.
Went right of this guy now.

Here’s Lucy!
22-01-2019, 05:44 PM
Cheers Mack

What makes it more galling.
He knew this was coming and his move from Spain to Italy has more than covered what he was fined .

No real punishment at all, is it?
His demeanor when leaving court hardly showed a man concerned.
Went right of this guy now.

I've never been a fan of his, Mick.

Too bloody cocky and arrogant for his own good, if you ask me.

And, you're right, no punishment at all.

Hi Heid Yin
22-01-2019, 06:16 PM
Considering also he made an out of court payment to an "alleged" rape victim and has an ongoing claim against him for the same offence, he's effectively shattered any "goody, goody" image he might have engineered over the years as a footballing icon.