PDA

View Full Version : Cardiff Emiliano Sala

Winston Ingram
22-01-2019, 08:57 AM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-46954922

This doesn't sound good

theonlywayisup
22-01-2019, 08:59 AM
There is "genuine concern" Premier League footballer Emiliano Sala was on a flight missing off Alderney.

It is feared the Argentine striker was one of two people on board the Piper Malibu, which disappeared near the Casquets lighthouse on Monday night.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-guernsey-46954922

Doesn't sound good at all. Hope all on board are safe.

flash
22-01-2019, 09:06 AM
Puts our wee transfer window worries in perspective. Hopefully it's just a technical thing but doesn't look good.

Captain Trips
22-01-2019, 09:10 AM
Missing plane unfortunately these never have a nice ending.

HH81
22-01-2019, 09:24 AM
Sounds like he was on the plane.

Can't see much of a chance for them on board if it crashed last night. Hope I am wrong.

Jim44
22-01-2019, 10:03 AM
You would think they would know exactly who was on the plane that took off from Nantes. Would passport control/customs not have the information at hand?

calumhibee1
22-01-2019, 10:04 AM
You would think they would know exactly who was on the plane that took off from Nantes. Would passport control/customs not have the information at hand?

I thought that. Surely they know every person that was on that plane?

Gettin' Auld
22-01-2019, 10:07 AM
I thought that. Surely they know every person that was on that plane?
I'm sure that they do, but public announcements rightly have to wait until the next of kin etc have been made aware first.

nellio
22-01-2019, 10:51 AM
Devastating news.

Reports indicate he was on board and was on his way back to Cardiff.

I was at Cardiff Newcastle on the weekend, was a season ticket holder for years before moving here. Really upsetting news.

calumhibee1
22-01-2019, 10:52 AM
I'm sure that they do, but public announcements rightly have to wait until the next of kin etc have been made aware first.

True :agree:

JimBHibees
22-01-2019, 10:53 AM

Yes they will know but wont want to be putting anything public until confirmation.

JimBHibees
22-01-2019, 10:54 AM
Devastating news.

Reports indicate he was on board and was on his way back to Cardiff.

I was at Cardiff Newcastle on the weekend, was a season ticket holder for years before moving here. Really upsetting news.

Yes really sad news if true.

CRAZYHIBBY
22-01-2019, 10:55 AM
R.I.P.....absolute shame at such an exciting time of his life

Joe6-2
22-01-2019, 11:40 AM
Awful, life is so fragile

hibsbollah
22-01-2019, 12:38 PM
It's been confirmed? Awful, I watched him a few times and he's a real talent. RIP.

JimBHibees
22-01-2019, 01:03 PM
It's been confirmed? Awful, I watched him a few times and he's a real talent. RIP.

only that he was on the plane I think

BroxburnHibee
22-01-2019, 01:39 PM
It's awful. No matter how many times I fly I always find it nerve wracking.

nellio
22-01-2019, 01:59 PM
Latest update is that it is no longer a rescue operation. They are just trying to find the aircraft now. Very sad.

Sir David Gray
22-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Shocking news only signed for them the other day.

Very sad.

RoslinInstHibby
22-01-2019, 02:35 PM
horrific news, my thoughts go out to his (and the other person on board) friends and family.

where does this leave Cardiff? will there be insurance for this type of thing?

HoboHarry
22-01-2019, 02:42 PM
horrific news, my thoughts go out to his (and the other person on board) friends and family.

where does this leave Cardiff? will there be insurance for this type of thing?
I wondered about that myself?

Callum_62
22-01-2019, 02:47 PM
Flying single engine, over the channel at night, in winter

Doesn’t seem the most sensible call to me

Odd the 5000 feet thing too - only reason they would be that low is if they were were flying VFR - i hope this isnt a VFR into IMC crash

I suspect that, or icing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hibeesmad
22-01-2019, 02:49 PM
Really sad news. With this and the Leicester owner in the last few months it’s been a horrible season. Thoughts and prayers with all involved and affected.

CockneyRebel
22-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Flying single engine, over the channel at night, in winter

Doesn’t seem the most sensible call to me

Odd the 5000 feet thing too - only reason they would be that low is if they were were flying VFR - i hope this isnt a VFR into IMC crash

I suspect that, or icing

You just showing off and waiting for a translation request?

Callum_62
22-01-2019, 03:14 PM
You just showing off and waiting for a translation request?

Visual flight rules into Instrument Meteorological Conditions

Basically flying into conditions where you cant see the ground - which requires extensive training

Im finding hard to believe the pilot wasn’t instrument rated but flying at 5000 is pretty low and a good theory of why he would be that low was to maintain visual with the ground

hibeemikey21
22-01-2019, 03:23 PM
Visual flight rules into Instrument Meteorological Conditions

Basically flying into conditions where you cant see the ground - which requires extensive training

Im finding hard to believe the pilot wasn’t instrument rated but flying at 5000 is pretty low and a good theory of why he would be that low was to maintain visual with the ground

How on earth do you “maintain visual” with the ground when the “ground” is the sea and it’s during the night??

Callum_62
22-01-2019, 03:36 PM
How on earth do you “maintain visual” with the ground when the “ground” is the sea and it’s during the night??

Sounds crazy eh but night VFR is a thing - id never do it myself- especially over water.

Im just theorising over why they were cruising at 5000

Hibeesmad
22-01-2019, 03:48 PM
Reports in France claiming that Sala flew from Cardiff to Nantes in the same plane that has gone missing. When he got to Nantes he reportedly told a team mate that he had a bumpy ride and feared for his safety on the return trip.

Astonishing how they went ahead with the flight if true

Callum_62
22-01-2019, 03:51 PM
Reports in France claiming that Sala flew from Cardiff to Nantes in the same plane that has gone missing. When he got to Nantes he reportedly told a team mate that he had a bumpy ride and feared for his safety on the return trip.

Astonishing how they went ahead with the flight if true

Not really - a bumpy ride is not generally a safety issue. Uncomfortable for passengers but almost always a non issue

Captain Trips
22-01-2019, 03:52 PM

I would "assume" the visuals would be the coastline (lights etc etc) which at 5000 and if clear would be visible. If you lose track of that then you could be in trouble if using the instruments only if not fully trained.

Hibeesmad
22-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Not really - a bumpy ride is not generally a safety issue. Uncomfortable for passengers but almost always a non issue

It was more the fact that he apparently told someone he feared for his safety before ending up on a missing plane

hfc rd
22-01-2019, 05:37 PM
Absolutely horrible and sad news this.

Really hope he and everyone else that boarded that flight are found safely and well.

LustForLeith
22-01-2019, 09:44 PM
Fearing the worst.

My son asked a question with general 12 year old innocence. What happens to the transfer in the worst possible situation (which could well be the case).

Pales into significance but I told my son I wasn’t sure

Hibernian Verse
22-01-2019, 09:46 PM
Fearing the worst.

My son asked a question with general 12 year old innocence. What happens to the transfer in the worst possible situation (which could well be the case).

Pales into significance but I told my son I wasn’t sureIt was completed so money paid/due to Nantes but football clubs have insurance for all circumstances so Cardiff will be compensated.

My girlfriend asked the same question!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

jgl07
22-01-2019, 09:59 PM
Flying at night over sea in the middle of winter in a single engine plane sounds very risky to me.

Zazu62
22-01-2019, 10:02 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo getting it tight for putting selfies up of himself on a plane today.

LustForLeith
22-01-2019, 10:02 PM
It was completed so money paid/due to Nantes but football clubs have insurance for all circumstances so Cardiff will be compensated.

My girlfriend asked the same question!

I thought there would be insurance of some sort but wasn’t sure. Cheers.

Money doesn’t matter in situations like this I suppose.

hibsbollah
22-01-2019, 10:10 PM
Fearing the worst.

Pales into significance but I told my son I wasn’t sure

My 11 year old asked me the same! Also what would happen to him in FIFA19:rolleyes: which resulted in a short talk about what is important in life.

Hibernian Verse
22-01-2019, 10:14 PM
My 11 year old asked me the same! Also what would happen to him in FIFA19:rolleyes: which resulted in a short talk about what is important in life.His price has rocketed on Ultimate team as people price fix knowing he is going out of packs. Quite disgusting.

(EA have now limited his price range to the lowest possible to stop this)

Sir David Gray
22-01-2019, 11:32 PM
Cristiano Ronaldo getting it tight for putting selfies up of himself on a plane today.

God knows why. It's really incredible how people get so upset at such things. I really fail to see how Ronaldo has done anything wrong here.

hfc rd
22-01-2019, 11:56 PM
Breaking | L’Équipe have now seen the final text message that Emiliano Sala sent to his closest Argentine friends (possibly a group chat of some kind). In it, Sala says he is scared the plane “could fall to pieces” & that “if you don’t hear from me in 1.5 hours...”

That is horrific to hear 😢

I’d absolutely love to be proven wrong but the reports that are coming out of this just make me think it really is the worst piece of news we didn’t want to hear about this terrible incident. People have survived plane crashes before but being stuck in freezing water like the English Channel just doesn’t give you a glimmer of hope 😔

jacomo
23-01-2019, 03:49 PM
Apparently the plane was owned by Willie McKay, who acted as an intermediary in the deal.

Callum_62
23-01-2019, 03:53 PM
Breaking | L’Équipe have now seen the final text message that Emiliano Sala sent to his closest Argentine friends (possibly a group chat of some kind). In it, Sala says he is scared the plane “could fall to pieces” & that “if you don’t hear from me in 1.5 hours...”

That is horrific to hear [emoji22]

I’d absolutely love to be proven wrong but the reports that are coming out of this just make me think it really is the worst piece of news we didn’t want to hear about this terrible incident. People have survived plane crashes before but being stuck in freezing water like the English Channel just doesn’t give you a glimmer of hope [emoji17]

That would likely put him on the ground - in context he could just be nervous about the size and age of the aircraft

But if he’s nervous about it youd think he would have taken up the cardiff private jet offer

Likely he had no idea what he would be flying in when someone made this deal

BullsCloseHibs
23-01-2019, 04:16 PM

Anything below 20,000ft could be a very bumpy ride. Under 5000ft could be horrendous.

Sounds like the props weren't making the right sounds though.

Callum_62
23-01-2019, 04:22 PM
Anything below 20,000ft could be a very bumpy ride. Under 5000ft could be horrendous.

Sounds like the props weren't making the right sounds though.

I fly around in a 2 seater at a few thousand feet regularly- and often had very calm days

Altitude doesnt always influence turbulence

Have you heard audio from the flight?

Note - this plane had 1 prop not props

Jim44
23-01-2019, 04:43 PM
12 years ago I flew from the north to the south of Tonga in a small two engined propeller plane. There couldn’t have been more than ten passengers. I was actually weighed in the wee airport so I could be placed strategically in the cabin. The pilot warned us that ‘we were going to hit some weather but conditions were ‘fine’. It was the hairiest half hour I’ve spent in a plane.

Callum_62
23-01-2019, 04:57 PM
I see the pilot was a gasfitter by trade

The more i read the more ridiculous this gets

cabbageandribs1875
06-02-2019, 05:27 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

French club Nantes have demanded payment from Cardiff City over the £15m transfer of Emiliano Sala, BBC Wales has learned.

Sala, along with pilot David Ibbotson, was on board the Piper Malibu N264DB which lost radar contact near Guernsey on 21 January.

The Argentine striker, 28, was Premier League club Cardiff's record signing.

Cardiff have withheld the first scheduled payment until they are satisfied with the documentation.

French club Bourdeaux are also entitled to a cut of the fee, thought to be 50% - Sala was on their books from 2012 to 2015 before joining Nantes.

and now down to the nitty gritty of money payments

NAE NOOKIE
06-02-2019, 05:34 PM
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47146614

French club Nantes have demanded payment from Cardiff City over the £15m transfer of Emiliano Sala, BBC Wales has learned.

Sala, along with pilot David Ibbotson, was on board the Piper Malibu N264DB which lost radar contact near Guernsey on 21 January.

The Argentine striker, 28, was Premier League club Cardiff's record signing.

Cardiff have withheld the first scheduled payment until they are satisfied with the documentation.

French club Bourdeaux are also entitled to a cut of the fee, thought to be 50% - Sala was on their books from 2012 to 2015 before joining Nantes.

and now down to the nitty gritty of money payments

Of course they have. Not sure how Nantes asking for their money is even a news story, if the poor guy had signed on the dotted line and UEFA have done their bit its game over …. besides that, if the guy hadn't moved to Cardiff he would never have been on that plane in the first place. Cardiff's bad luck in business terms.

HoboHarry
06-02-2019, 05:35 PM
Of course they have. Not sure how Nantes asking for their money is even a news story, if the poor guy had signed on the dotted line and UEFA have done their bit its game over …. besides that, if the guy hadn't moved to Cardiff he would never have been on that plane in the first place. Cardiff's bad luck in business terms.
I had wondered about this at the time of the accident and whether they had insurance in place to cover transfer fees. Enormous hit in the business sense.......

green day
06-02-2019, 05:44 PM
I fly around in a 2 seater at a few thousand feet regularly- and often had very calm days

Altitude doesnt always influence turbulence

Have you heard audio from the flight?

Note - this plane had 1 prop not props

We did a Queenstown to Milford Sound flight a month or so back in your neck of the woods. Beautiful weather outbound, a bit choppy en route back. My 13 yo loved it, my wife and I (seasoned flyers) were crapping it once or twice.

Its very different on wee planes, they "feel" the weather a lot more. Having said that, I never really felt in any danger, the pilot was totally cool and had been doing it for years.

This was a single engined, 8 berth job.

Callum_62
06-02-2019, 05:47 PM
We did a Queenstown to Milford Sound flight a month or so back in your neck of the woods. Beautiful weather outbound, a bit choppy en route back. My 13 yo loved it, my wife and I (seasoned flyers) were crapping it once or twice.

Its very different on wee planes, they "feel" the weather a lot more. Having said that, I never really felt in any danger, the pilot was totally cool and had been doing it for years.

This was a single engined, 8 berth job.

Fantastic way to see the sound!

Beautiful area isnt it

Its strange because im not overly enamoured as a passenger on a big jet

When flying in a 2 seater at the controls the weather and turbulence bother me less

Saying that had a dodgy approach last week with low level clouds

Terrifies me the thought of flying into cloud

cabbageandribs1875
06-02-2019, 05:49 PM

i'm wondering if Cardiff actually had any type of insurance, i would have expected a club statement saying 'it's in the hands of our insurers'

06-02-2019, 05:57 PM
You’d Cardiff would have insurance. The ambiguity is over whether it applied

Winston Ingram
06-02-2019, 06:01 PM
This story is going to run and run.

Nantes insurers I doubt will payout as he had signed and registered as a Cardiff player so therefore their insurance will no longer be valid so will rightly be chasing Cardiff for it.

I’d imagine Cardiff would’ve insured him but that would likely be invalidated by the fact Sala chose to fly on a ramshackle plane, in a storm which was flown by someone who wasn’t fully qualified and Cardiff appeared to make minimal effort if any to ensure he got on a proper plane.

I can see Cardiff now suing the agent who arranged it all. I doubt he’ll have £18m in cash lying around so i’d imagine he’ll likely declare himself bankrupt and Cardiff will just have to pay it.

cabbageandribs1875
06-02-2019, 06:12 PM
This story is going to run and run.

Nantes insurers I doubt will payout as he had signed and registered as a Cardiff player so therefore their insurance will no longer be valid so will rightly be chasing Cardiff for it.

I’d imagine Cardiff would’ve insured him but that would likely be invalidated by the fact Sala chose to fly on a ramshackle plane, in a storm which was flown by someone who wasn’t fully qualified and Cardiff appeared to make minimal effort if any to ensure he got on a proper plane.

I can see Cardiff now suing the agent who arranged it all. I doubt he’ll have £18m in cash lying around so i’d imagine he’ll likely declare himself bankrupt and Cardiff will just have to pay it.

willie McKay, i seem to remember him seriously bad mouthing our club re: thomson and brown transfer sagas, i think it was him anyway

Callum_62
06-02-2019, 06:15 PM
willie McKay, i seem to remember him seriously bad mouthing our club re: thomson and brown transfer sagas, i think it was him anyway

I hope the plane is recovered - might be some interesting chats recoverable from a mobile phone

cabbageandribs1875
06-02-2019, 06:23 PM
I hope the plane is recovered - might be some interesting chats recoverable from a mobile phone

right enough, but surely salt water would destroy everything inside the phone ?

Callum_62
06-02-2019, 06:26 PM

Quite possibly but you never know

theonlywayisup
06-02-2019, 06:27 PM

Do they need to recover the phone? On Hunted,they seem to be able to listen via the networked mast rather than the phone.

The 90+2
06-02-2019, 06:31 PM
Quite possibly but you never know

Can’t it be recovered using iCloud or equivalent?

cabbageandribs1875
06-02-2019, 06:34 PM
Do they need to recover the phone? On Hunted,they seem to be able to listen via the networked mast rather than the phone.

i do know providers keep text messages for anything between several days to three months, and after a quick google some do keep call logs :agree: i imagine investigators etc have already applied to the courts for access, if available anyway

McD
06-02-2019, 06:44 PM
Fantastic way to see the sound!

Beautiful area isnt it

Its strange because im not overly enamoured as a passenger on a big jet

When flying in a 2 seater at the controls the weather and turbulence bother me less

Saying that had a dodgy approach last week with low level clouds

Terrifies me the thought of flying into cloud

im not the most comfortable of flyers at the best of times :greengrin

its a a really interesting comment you’ve made about fears around flying into clouds, is that because of lack of visibility?

Captain Trips
06-02-2019, 06:46 PM
As the plane seems to be intact to a certain degree it would appear they have flown into water and not just crashed at speed. At night in the sea highly likely to be spatial disorientation or something along those lines.

Callum_62
06-02-2019, 06:51 PM
im not the most comfortable of flyers at the best of times :greengrin

its a a really interesting comment you’ve made about fears around flying into clouds, is that because of lack of visibility?

Yeah its the most common killer amongst pilots not trained for instrument flying

Apparently you body is telling you the opposite of whats actually happening leading to loss if control very quickly

I see on a doco ages ago they took maybe 10 non Instrument rated pilots into a sim and changed the weather to be in cloud - some of the pilots had 10,000+ hours flying - all lost control within 2 minutes

McD
06-02-2019, 06:55 PM
Yeah its the most common killer amongst pilots not trained for instrument flying

Apparently you body is telling you the opposite of whats actually happening leading to loss if control very quickly

I see on a doco ages ago they took maybe 10 non Instrument rated pilots into a sim and changed the weather to be in cloud - some of the pilots had 10,000+ hours flying - all lost control within 2 minutes

Thats really fascinating, cheers.

In my completely novice mind, I would have thought all pilots would be trained to accommodate for these types of conditions, so really eye opening

Jim44
06-02-2019, 07:13 PM
I’m hearing that Nantes are pushing Cardiff for payment or part payment for Sala. Now, I’ve no knowledge of the situation re. contracts between the clubs, insurance of the player etc. but, given the human tragedy and the non-closure of the incident, you might take the view that Nantes are being unsympathetic in their urgency.:dunno:

Famous Fiver
06-02-2019, 07:17 PM
Apparently Bordeaux are due 50% and they are wanting their money now, reportedly putting pressure on Nantes.

Sad business all round.

Lago
06-02-2019, 07:20 PM
Apparently Bordeaux are due 50% and they are wanting their money now, reportedly putting pressure on Nantes.

Sad business all round.
Could get messy, lot of fingers in this pie, including Willie McKay & son.

jacomo
06-02-2019, 07:25 PM
I’m hearing that Nantes are pushing Cardiff for payment or part payment for Sala. Now, I’ve no knowledge of the situation re. contracts between the clubs, insurance of the player etc. but, given the human tragedy and the non-closure of the incident, you might take the view that Nantes are being unsympathetic in their urgency.:dunno:

Sorry but the guy’s dead and a contract is a contract.

Nantes asking for their money is not going to stop him being found alive.

It is unsympathetic for Cardiff to make this public imo. The business should be done quietly. And Nantes - having received their money - should contribute towards the costs of bringing the bodies back to land, if that’s what the family wants.

jacomo
06-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Could get messy, lot of fingers in this pie, including Willie McKay & son.

It was McKay’s plane. Presumably he arranged the flight. If anything was not done properly he will have a case to answer. I understand the pilot was not a professional.

Jim44
06-02-2019, 07:36 PM
Sorry but the guy’s dead and a contract is a contract.

Nantes asking for their money is not going to stop him being found alive.

It is unsympathetic for Cardiff to make this public imo. The business should be done quietly. And Nantes - having received their money - should contribute towards the costs of bringing the bodies back to land, if that’s what the family wants.

I wasn’t aware that it was Cardiff making it public. I agree that the business should be done out of the public domain and your suggestion about Nantes’ contribution to the salvage of the plane and bodies would be an admirable gesture. I just find public discussion of ‘business’ under the circumstances is distasteful.

cabbageandribs1875
07-02-2019, 10:44 PM
Body retrieved confirmed as the player

i feel sorry for the family of the pilot not even having a body to bury/cremate

Callum_62
07-02-2019, 10:53 PM
I wasn’t aware that it was Cardiff making it public. I agree that the business should be done out of the public domain and your suggestion about Nantes’ contribution to the salvage of the plane and bodies would be an admirable gesture. I just find public discussion of ‘business’ under the circumstances is distasteful.

Wonder what happend to the pilot

Possibly the cockpit separated from the fuselage?

I expected it to be the pilot actually - thought much more likely he would be buckled in than the passenger

HH81
08-02-2019, 02:10 AM
Wonder what happend to the pilot

Possibly the cockpit separated from the fuselage?

I expected it to be the pilot actually - thought much more likely he would be buckled in than the passenger

Me too. Fully expected it to be the pilot. I thought with the guy who found the plane saying it was mostly intact then it would have been Sala who would have tried to get out or being thrown out on impact.

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2019, 07:09 AM
It was McKay’s plane. Presumably he arranged the flight. If anything was not done properly he will have a case to answer. I understand the pilot was not a professional.

I thought McKay had already stated he did not own the plane.

Callum_62
08-02-2019, 07:18 AM
I thought McKay had already stated he did not own the plane.

I think theres a lot of smoke snd mirrors here

Whoever owns the plane/facilitated the deal could br in big trouble with the possibility of being liable very likely

JimBHibees
08-02-2019, 07:44 AM

Yes it was.

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2019, 07:45 AM
I think theres a lot of smoke snd mirrors here

Whoever owns the plane/facilitated the deal could br in big trouble with the possibility of being liable very likely

Maybe unless they attribute the crash to the pilot.

The Spaceman
08-02-2019, 07:46 AM
Rest In Peace Sala and the Pilot. So sad.

Hibeesmad
08-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Got to feel for his family and those who knew him. Just doing what he loved to be successful for him and his family. Hope he may rest in peace and his memory marches on.

macca70
08-02-2019, 08:23 AM
Maybe unless they attribute the crash to the pilot.

Single engine plane, with no de-icing equipment.

Should never have been flying at that time of night in those freezing conditions.

General consensus down in Guernsey is that it iced up, froze and just packed in mid air. No real opportunity for the pilot to react or do much about it, although pilot could have bailed out hence they have yet to find him.

Scouse Hibee
08-02-2019, 09:18 AM

Should never have been flying at that time of night in those freezing conditions.

General consensus down in Guernsey is that it iced up, froze and just packed in mid air. No real opportunity for the pilot to react or do much about it, although pilot could have bailed out hence they have yet to find him.

Any pilot would know that, madness to take it up if that is the case.

Callum_62
08-02-2019, 09:23 AM

Is there confirmation if no de icing equip? Ive read conflicting stories. The malibu can cone equipped with de ice boots

Regardless - could explain his request to descend to lower warmer air - altho why he wasn’t above the icing layer ive no idea....unless he was conducting a visual flight